This generation's first AAAAE (10) is . . . Bayonetta 2!!!!

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#701 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

Has the PS4 even gotten an AAAE yet? Poor Cows, no wonder they're salty. :'(

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#702 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:

If TOMB RAIDER 2 is the next TEN the internet will explode.

The trend seems to be...if you take an amazing game...and refine the gameplay to near perfection in the sequel then you've got a good chance at landing that precious rare TEN score.

So Tomb Raider 2 won't get a 10, cool.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#703 Thunderdrone
Member since 2009 • 7154 Posts
@WitIsWisdom said:

To each their own. I respect that opinion, but disagree with it as well. A bad plot is a flaw in my opinion...it doesn't take away from the immediate gameplay, but can greatly distract from the immersion

• How do you define "bad"? What are the standards of good storytelling in games and how should Bayonetta be affected by it? What, The Last of Us? Shattered Memories? That type of emotional and narrative focused presentation is simply not appropriate for all types of games, therefore should not be held as examples from which everyone else must measure up to.

it doesn't take away from the immediate gameplay, but can greatly distract from the immersion, I am one of those rare 5% who doesn't go all ADD jo jo the circus monkey and just skip any cut scenes, spoken dialogue, or subtitles. I understand this is a fast paced action game and I have not played it yet, but they make it sound as if you don't even have clear cut objectives and that you are simply smashing things non stop without rhyme or reason

• If that's what you are worried about then don't fret. There is a narrative and a purpose for what you do in the Bayo universe, its just overall silly and over the top. Its appropriate for its flavor of presentation and gameplay and reviewers should be more clear when they say shit like "forget about the story". Most of the times they simply mean that on its own, its not something worth being invested in. Others have a harder time understanding the concept of CONTEXT and ,seemingly like you, compare storytelling to a single generalistic standard.

(which I find hard to believe by the way... something tells me it is just a review I likely disagree with) When games like Destiny and even Dynasty Warriors which is based of ancient history get ripped for plot and points are taken away for weak narrative it just seems a little hypocritical. You either DO or DO NOT add or subtract points based on plot,

• No. Plot should only affect the score according to the importance the game is giving to it. If enough weight is being put on presenting a cinematic or more complicated narrative, to the point where it actually affects or drives the gameplay side of things, then yes you should criticize the quality of that element accordingly.
  • Destiny's story got deservedly ripped to shit because it presented itself as an epic, adventurous space opera with deep lore and cinematic presentation. Complete with a laundry list of Hollywood actors lending their voices to NPCs that barely speak and served little to no purpose to anything that happened, What we got was barely a prolog "story" that never explained anything about nothing and had most of its "lore" written on cards on a fucking website outside of the game. Thats why it got ripped.

and by not subtracting here makes it completely bias to take points off another game on the same site for having a weak plot. A couple genres like puzzle and artistic are obviously removed from that list since they don't usually even have a plot. Once again, I am sure it is a good game... looks a lot like gungrave:

which is one of my favorite games of all time... although WAY too short, and a shoddy plot as well. As far as gameplay... 10. Overall score a 10? no. As I said before gameplay is the single biggest factor of ANY game by a long shot, but taking all things into consideration gameplay is not the only aspect of a review unless it is made clear from the beginning.

• Never played Gungrave but the only way I'd dock off points to a game like that because of plot was if the story was inapropriate or obtrusive. Its like giving a Looney Toons cartoon shit for not being as emotional as Toy Story 3. Context!

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#705 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52429 Posts

@Desmonic: DeTomasso.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#707 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

@freedomfreak: Seconded

@Desmonic : Key and Peele reference. Fucking perfect.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#710  Edited By wolverine4262
@Desmonic said:

Also, GS is back to that old habit of not taking you to the damn last page when you click the damn last page button on the board page.

Guess we should go back to flagging to see if they do something about it.

That hasnt worked for me since the redesign.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#711  Edited By freedomfreak
@Desmonic said:

@freedomfreak:

Holy shit! I watched that clip like 2 days ago!

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#713 wolverine4262

@Desmonic: Yeah, I need to watch all of season 3 and I think 4 started now too. They only get better. The hardest part about sketch comedy is ending the sketch, but they always nail it. Never thought Comedy Central would get a show that tops Chapelle, but they are actually better by a wide margin.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#715 freedomfreak
@Desmonic said:

That actually looks kinda creepy :P My issue with his (her?) work. It can look amazing but it can also look creepy as ****!

I think it's a dude.

Well, he's bringing video game characters to life. Of course, it can look creepy :P

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#718 freedomfreak

@Desmonic: Haha, holy shit. Totally know that one. You're totally right 8)

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#720 wolverine4262

@Desmonic: I heard about that too. Honestly, could end up being terrible, but I wanna see it happen.

We need to lobby detomasso to do Bayonetta.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#722 freedomfreak

@Desmonic: You're totally right.. Maybe >.>..... Yes!

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#723 wolverine4262

@Desmonic: Similar to Dumb and Dumber To in my mind. Even if its a trainwreck, Im there day one.

True true, but it wouldnt hurt. Im sure he could put his own twist on it.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#724 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@Desmonic said:

@jg4xchamp said:

So Tomb Raider 2 won't get a 10, cool.

An unlockable nude model would probably fix that >.>

That, or it would become the next GTA in terms of media attention lol

Word,

was more focusing on the notion that Tomb Raider reboot aint amazing, more aight, with an awesome base that they need to work on. If they can nail an island setting with some survival mechanics, and actual tomb raiding and puzzle solving, with less of the rail roaded action, but keep the awesome combat? that Tomb Raider sequel should be legit as ****.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#725  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9555 Posts

@Thunderdrone said:
@WitIsWisdom said:

To each their own. I respect that opinion, but disagree with it as well. A bad plot is a flaw in my opinion...it doesn't take away from the immediate gameplay, but can greatly distract from the immersion

• How do you define "bad"? What are the standards of good storytelling in games and how should Bayonetta be affected by it? What, The Last of Us? Shattered Memories? That type of emotional and narrative focused presentation is simply not appropriate for all types of games, therefore should not be held as examples from which everyone else must measure up to.

it doesn't take away from the immediate gameplay, but can greatly distract from the immersion, I am one of those rare 5% who doesn't go all ADD jo jo the circus monkey and just skip any cut scenes, spoken dialogue, or subtitles. I understand this is a fast paced action game and I have not played it yet, but they make it sound as if you don't even have clear cut objectives and that you are simply smashing things non stop without rhyme or reason

• If that's what you are worried about then don't fret. There is a narrative and a purpose for what you do in the Bayo universe, its just overall silly and over the top. Its appropriate for its flavor of presentation and gameplay and reviewers should be more clear when they say shit like "forget about the story". Most of the times they simply mean that on its own, its not something worth being invested in. Others have a harder time understanding the concept of CONTEXT and ,seemingly like you, compare storytelling to a single generalistic standard.

(which I find hard to believe by the way... something tells me it is just a review I likely disagree with) When games like Destiny and even Dynasty Warriors which is based of ancient history get ripped for plot and points are taken away for weak narrative it just seems a little hypocritical. You either DO or DO NOT add or subtract points based on plot,

• No. Plot should only affect the score according to the importance the game is giving to it. If enough weight is being put on presenting a cinematic or more complicated narrative, to the point where it actually affects or drives the gameplay side of things, then yes you should criticize the quality of that element accordingly.
  • Destiny's story got deservedly ripped to shit because it presented itself as an epic, adventurous space opera with deep lore and cinematic presentation. Complete with a laundry list of Hollywood actors lending their voices to NPCs that barely speak and served little to no purpose to anything that happened, What we got was barely a prolog "story" that never explained anything about nothing and had most of its "lore" written on cards on a fucking website outside of the game. Thats why it got ripped.

and by not subtracting here makes it completely bias to take points off another game on the same site for having a weak plot. A couple genres like puzzle and artistic are obviously removed from that list since they don't usually even have a plot. Once again, I am sure it is a good game... looks a lot like gungrave:

which is one of my favorite games of all time... although WAY too short, and a shoddy plot as well. As far as gameplay... 10. Overall score a 10? no. As I said before gameplay is the single biggest factor of ANY game by a long shot, but taking all things into consideration gameplay is not the only aspect of a review unless it is made clear from the beginning.

• Never played Gungrave but the only way I'd dock off points to a game like that because of plot was if the story was inapropriate or obtrusive. Its like giving a Looney Toons cartoon shit for not being as emotional as Toy Story 3. Context!

More opinions. It's all good. Once again, I think I am overstating what I truly feel.. I have a tendency to do that. I am well aware of context, and severity of situation. Bottom line is that games are and have been rated on more than gameplay alone since the NES era. regardless of how big of a role the plot plays. I am pointing out inconsistencies within reviews at this site, not with how I feel reviews should be. Anybody playing Destiny for amazing narrative had their head in the wrong place to begin with. I'm done with the politics of opinion, because we can slam the door until the hinges fall off, but it wont make either of us more or less right than before. Some people are ok with double standards.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#726  Edited By tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

Holy shit! Now that wasn't what I was expecting to see plastered right on Gamespot homepage!

Guess I'll have another game to pick up right beside Smash Bros. for Wii U when I decide to actually buy the Wii U...

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#727 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

@princeofshapeir said:

1 AAAE (AAAAE in this case) after nearly two years on the market.. ok.

..but I expected more from the WiiU haters.. I guess you can't really argue with a 10/10.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#728 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/bayonetta-2-will-win-goty-31513280/#47

some hater locked my thread. after being into video games for a good 20 years, you just get a feel for quality when you see it. I didn't have to play this game to predict its epicness, and I never even played Bayonetta 1, but after seeing the gameplay of B2...it looked better than any action games I have ever seen, at least THAT the of action game.

Feel free to ask me any questions about future releases so you can feel better about your pre-orders.

thank you and good night.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#729 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@OhSnapitz said:

@princeofshapeir said:

..but I expected more from the WiiU haters.. I guess you can't really argue with a 10/10.

This is not the Wii U's first AAAE game. It got its first AAAE game last year, with Super Mario 3D World.

That aside, I also do want to point out that the Wii U's library of high rated exclusives (AE and beyond) is staggering. It's already such a massive lead, the other two consoles will probably never catch up.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#730 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

@Thunderdrone: She is deformed though. Seriously she's shaped like an alien. Still wondering if this game is as challenging as the father of 3d action, devil may cry.

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#731 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@OhSnapitz said:

@princeofshapeir said:

This is not the Wii U's first AAAE game. It got its first AAAE game last year, with Super Mario 3D World.

That aside, I also do want to point out that the Wii U's library of high rated exclusives (AE and beyond) is staggering. It's already such a massive lead, the other two consoles will probably never catch up.

..wasn't that a 3DS game?

..and I believe that's WAAAAAAAY premature.. You seem to be forgetting Nintendo's track record with their last 4 consoles. Celebrate your victory but don't set yourselves up for future ownage.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#732 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@OhSnapitz said:

@charizard1605 said:

@OhSnapitz said:

@princeofshapeir said:

..and I believe that's WAAAAAAAY premature.. You seem to be forgetting Nintendo's track record with their last 4 consoles. Celebrate your victory but don't set yourselves up for future ownage.

No, that's Super Mario 3D Land. Nintendo makes shitty names.

big_mak523

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#733 big_mak523
Member since 2011 • 210 Posts

@OhSnapitz said:

@charizard1605 said:

@OhSnapitz said:

Their last 4 consoles? Yeah they have always had the highest rated exclusives. If Nintendo follows their own trends they will make the highest rated exclusive games each generation. Isn't that what Char originally said?

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#734  Edited By bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/gamespots-complete-list-of-10-10-reviews-and-how-t/1100-6422955/

haters and port beggars jumped on the Bayo 2 review so hard that GS has to come out and explain to them how a 10/10 works and their review policies and methods. Pretty sad that this has to happen because some people can't handle a 10/10 that isn't on their console. I guarantee you if this was a ps4 exclusive they would be telling everyone to S*** it and to go to hell.

Dibdibdobdobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#735  Edited By Dibdibdobdobo
Member since 2008 • 6683 Posts

Does this make me King of Sheep as I was the only hyping this?

tubbyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#736 tubbyc
Member since 2005 • 4004 Posts

@big_mak523 said:

@OhSnapitz said:

@charizard1605 said:

@OhSnapitz said:

Their last 4 consoles? Yeah they have always had the highest rated exclusives. If Nintendo follows their own trends they will make the highest rated exclusive games each generation. Isn't that what Char originally said?

I'm sure the PS1 and PS2 would have had way more quality exclusives than the N64 and Gamecube. They just had far more games in general and many great third party exclusives from the days when there were many more of them.

For last generation, there used to be a spreadsheet, which seems to have been replaced with only one for this gen. I remember that the PS3 had more AAEs and above. Don't know how the AEs ended up.

Unless you mean just picking out a small number of extremely highly rated games, like Ocarina of Time and Super Mario Galaxy 2, but then it's not looking at the whole picture.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#738 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22707 Posts

@Mozelleple112: you're either trolling or drastically misinformed... Oh and the first Bayonetta was better than mgs4 imo.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#739 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

@freedomfreak said:
@Mozelleple112 said:

Can't even tell if this review is a joke or not, some one @ GS staff must be pulling a prank. If its for real this is probably the worst 10/10 scoring game in Gamespot history, and that's a list filled with the likes of GTA IV and SMG2.

The Last of Us, Uncharted 2, Grand Theft Auto V, Red Dead Redemption, Skyrim, Bioshock: Infinite and so many more would have deserved a 10 way, way more.

^ Not that I'd give a 10 to any of them except The Last of Us, which belongs to "true" 10/10 games like MGS4, Zelda: OOT and Soul Calibur.

sshhh

Wow someone has a red anus over this

I'd rather have a red anus than have to live with Bayonetta 2 being placed in the same boat as games like Zelda: OOT, Soul Calibur, Chronocross, MGS4, etc.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#740 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

@GreySeal9 said:

I rate Mozelleple butthurt/10.

Much like Prince Oberyn's death, I don't think I'll ever get over it.

ocinom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#741 ocinom
Member since 2008 • 1385 Posts

To bad this game can't help the WiiU. For all we know Nintendo's platform is a sinking ship. They better go third party

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#742 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44094 Posts

@ocinom said:

To bad this game can't help the WiiU. For all we know Nintendo's platform is a sinking ship. They better go third party

I'm not trolling but serially wonder if the game would score lower due to higher standards on the other systems? I'd like to see the game on all the other systems and see what happens. :P

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#743 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@Mozelleple112 said:

@cainetao11 said:

@freedomfreak said:
@Mozelleple112 said:

Can't even tell if this review is a joke or not, some one @ GS staff must be pulling a prank. If its for real this is probably the worst 10/10 scoring game in Gamespot history, and that's a list filled with the likes of GTA IV and SMG2.

The Last of Us, Uncharted 2, Grand Theft Auto V, Red Dead Redemption, Skyrim, Bioshock: Infinite and so many more would have deserved a 10 way, way more.

^ Not that I'd give a 10 to any of them except The Last of Us, which belongs to "true" 10/10 games like MGS4, Zelda: OOT and Soul Calibur.

sshhh

Wow someone has a red anus over this

I'd rather have a red anus than have to live with Bayonetta 2 being placed in the same boat as games like Zelda: OOT, Soul Calibur, Chronocross, MGS4, etc.

Well looks like you got the bonus package!!! Your firey, red asshole and here at Gamespot it has been given a 10, and is in that boat. Come sail away, come sail away, sail away with Bayo 2

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#744 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@ocinom said:

Game scores bad: "HAHA TOLD YOU WII U SUCKS HAR HAR HAR"

Game scores well: "DOESN'T MATTER THIS WON'T SAVE THE WII U WAAAAHHAARRRR"

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#745  Edited By Thunderdrone
Member since 2009 • 7154 Posts

@X_CAPCOM_X said:

@Thunderdrone: She is deformed though. Seriously she's shaped like an alien. Still wondering if this game is as challenging as the father of 3d action, devil may cry.

Speaking of Devil May Cry and alien like deformity:

You could fit five heads across the length of both his shoulders and around 10 to match the height of his body.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#746 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@SecretPolice said:

@ocinom said:

I'm not trolling but serially wonder if the game would score lower due to higher standards on the other systems? I'd like to see the game on all the other systems and see what happens. :P

You know that is not the case.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#747 SecretPolice

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@SecretPolice said:

@ocinom said:

You know that is not the case.

Eh , perhaps and I'm not Dc'ing FH2 8.0 but maybe it's just the two different reviewers for the two games b/c certainly X1 could do Bay2 without a sweat but the same could not be said for Wii U doing FH2.

Forget it really, it must be an outstanding game, enjoy it and sorry I brought this up. :)

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#748 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

Tried the demo last night and it took my a few tries for the end boss..guess I suck..lol

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#749 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@SecretPolice: I'm just saying that Bayonetta 1 here on Gamespot got a 9. (an 8 for PS3 because it was the worst version) If Bayonetta 2 was on PS4 and Xbox One it probably would have still gotten a 10. Given the fact that those consoles don't even have a Hack & Slash game yet so what standard would there be?

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#750 SecretPolice

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@SecretPolice: I'm just saying that Bayonetta 1 here on Gamespot got a 9. (an 8 for PS3 because it was the worst version) If Bayonetta 2 was on PS4 and Xbox One it probably would have still gotten a 10. Given the fact that those consoles don't even have a Hack & Slash game yet so what standard would there be?

The first part yeah okay and the last part..... The great & powerful Ryse of course.... hahahah :P