The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt vs The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

Poll The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt vs The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (207 votes)

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt 58%
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 42%
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Two massive, open world games, both the most critically acclaimed titles of this generation, both considered to be the masters of their craft. Both are beloved, both had rapturous reception, and both have 'wild' in their name.

Which one is better, and why?

• 
khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#1 khoofia_pika
Member since 2006 • 16761 Posts

They're my top two games of this generation, but I'm gonna have to go with Breath of the Wild.

Frank_Castle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Frank_Castle
Member since 2015 • 1982 Posts

Breath of the Wild

Actually bought a used WiiU specifically to play it, and it surpassed my expectations by a mile.

A Link to the Past is still my favorite Zelda and one of my Top 3 games all-time, but BoTW is certainly up there. Easily my personal GOTY.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15569 Posts

Eh I guess I like BOTW more but they're very different concepts for open world action-fantasy and very close in pure quality, so saying one is better as some kind of objective statement would be stupid.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52429 Posts

The Witcher 3.

It's been a really long time since a game sucked me in like that. I own multiple copies for every platform. No idea why, and I just really, really like it.

BotW is good shit, though.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#5 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24925 Posts

I vote zelda because i dont think it can be worse than witcher 3.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56110 Posts

Witcher 3 wins it for me. I love Breath of the Wild but as far as Fantasy games goes, Witcher 3 was as deep as they come.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44183 Posts

Breath of the Wild for me however The Witcher 3 is certainly an excellent game as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

Breath of the Wild by far.

The Witcher 3 has terrible combat and terrible movement controls that made the game unplayable to me. It is the biggest disappointment of this generation to me and I think that too many people look past and make excuses for it's terrible combat and movement controls to give it excellent reviews when having good combat and especially movement controls are critical components that should not be looked past and excused just because other aspects of the game may be great.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

To quote my little bro when I asked him this question before, "Hahahaha!"

The Witcher III is hands down better in every conceivable way to me, and is a top 3 game of the gen. BotW, when compared to other Zeldas, I'd probably only put it over Wind Waker, and I hate that game.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

The Witcher 3. Each side quest is arguably more immersive than the average game's main quest.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7704 Posts

Hard to pick, despite both being open world games they are so different, both setting new standars on their area, while I througly enjoyed Witcher I still think Zeldas fresh take on open world wins it for me.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22377 Posts

Definitely Witcher 3... mainly because it has a fantastic story and memorable characters. Also it's side quests are probably the best of any game I've played. And the worlds are incredibly detailed and filled with interesting things at every turn.

I've only played alittle bit of BOTW, but for me it seems to rely too much on exploration and 'creating your own fun' for me. And the world felt a little empty at times too.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

I love Witcher 3, Horizon 0 and BOTW, but i have to go with BOTW. The reasons why I voted for BOTW is simple , I do a lot of traveling to Japan and Europe and being able to play these games with huge world and bad ass gameplay on a portable gets my win. If Horizion 0 was able to be played portable, then that game would get my vote , but since it's not BOTW gets my vote easily .

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#14 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

@undefined: Love both but it's an easy pick for me. Zelda. Just because of the joy it gave me.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@Renegade_Fury: Well except the combat.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

I clicked the Witcher 3 without thinking but I'm not being fair as I haven't played BotW. I think I'd still go with The Witcher 3 as I'm more invested in that game and world than Zelda.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Renegade_Fury

@Juub1990: I'd disagree on that too. Witcher III's requires more thinking and is overall more engaging than BotW's copy and paste N64 combat but with added bullet time.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Juub1990

@Renegade_Fury: BOTW combat has nothing to do with OOT...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@Renegade_Fury said:

@Juub1990: I'd disagree on that too. Witcher III's requires more thinking and is overall more engaging than BotW's copy and paste N64 combat but with added bullet time.

Dude, this is the most hyperbolically wrong comment I have seen about BotW in a while, and that is saying something.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Renegade_Fury

@Juub1990: It's exactly the fucking same.

I've posted this vid before of my little bro playing:

Loading Video...

As I wrote, same shit, but with bullet time.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Witcher 3, game of the generation. Zelda is probably my goty this year though.

khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 khoofia_pika

@Renegade_Fury said:

Wut

I want to ask, very genuinely and without any snark, how many hours do you have in BotW?

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Renegade_Fury
@charizard1605 said:
@Renegade_Fury said:

Dude, this is the most hyperbolically wrong comment I have seen about BotW in a while, and that is saying something.

How so? I'm not calling Witcher III's combat amazing, but I did actually have to use my head versus never having to in BotW. Plus, once I was done fighting in Witcher III, I could stop by the blacksmith, versus.. yeah, I'm not going to go another rant, lol.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Renegade_Fury said:

@Juub1990: It's exactly the fucking same.

I've posted this vid before of my little bro playing:

Loading Video...

As I wrote, same shit, but with bullet time.

Your brother has mad skill and can cheese the combat, that doesn't make it like OoT lol. There are literally a hundred videos on YouTube about Witcher bosses being cheesed on Death March in a similar way, that doesn't make Witcher combat like OoT either.

Come on, I get that you think BotW is overrated, but you're veering into disingenuous territory here lol

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Renegade_Fury

@khoofia_pika said:
@Renegade_Fury said:

Wut

I want to ask, very genuinely and without any snark, how many hours do you have in BotW?

90 hours +, all 13 memories, and I think 62 shrines. I think I played BotW long enough to judge it, lol.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Renegade_Fury said:
@charizard1605 said:
@Renegade_Fury said:

How so? I'm not calling Witcher III's combat amazing, but I did actually have to use my head versus never having to in BotW. Plus, once I was done fighting in Witcher III, I could stop by the blacksmith, versus.. yeah, I'm not going to go another rant, lol.

But the same is true of BotW as well- your brother played exceptionally well in that Lynel fight (seriously, mad props to him, I am in awe lol), but BotW requires you to stop and think for most encounters as well, since there is the possibility of you being swarmed constantly. Remember, most encounters are not 1v1.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Juub1990

@Renegade_Fury: So your brother is cheesing the combat? I can do that in literally every game including Dark Souls and even more in The Witcher III. Kind of a poor argument.

khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 khoofia_pika
@Renegade_Fury said:
@khoofia_pika said:
@Renegade_Fury said:

Wut

90 hours +, all 13 memories, and I think 62 shrines. I think I played BotW long enough to judge it, lol.

Well then you should know that it is nothing like OoT. Not even a little.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Renegade_Fury

lol, too many people are replying to me at once, but when I say "N64 combat" I don't know why everyone is getting so offended. It's Z-targeting, slashing with A, using B for the shield, and doing backflips. How is that any different? Just because the enemies hurt more doesn't mean the combat itself has evolved. Witcher III's combat reminds me a little of JK2's dueling but with a pinch of Arkham style's combat, (and I'm sorry?) that I find that to be more interesting. I've always played Zelda for the puzzles; the fighting never was all that special to me.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

I don't trust or like the opinions of people with Nintendo sigs and avatars in this thread.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Renegade_Fury said:

lol, too many people are replying to me at once, but when I say "N64 combat" I don't know why everyone is getting so offended. It's Z-targeting, slashing with A, using B for the shield, and doing backflips. How is that any different? Just because the enemies hurt more doesn't mean the combat itself has evolved. Witcher III's combat reminds me a little of JK2's dueling but with a pinch of Arkham style's combat, (and I'm sorry?) that I find that to be more interesting.

I legitimately don't think it is much like the N64 combat. I played Ocarina right before I played BotW, and the difference is clear in... uh, I think a minute of the first encounter. Enemies do hit harder, but the AI is far better scripted as well, weapons have different feels and heft, parrying and dodging are actual strategies now compared to before, Flurry Rush and Sneakstrikes are rewarded and emphasized, archery is a legitimate part of the actual combat flow and loop, and this is before we even get into the environmental considerations of combat, which the game very heavily emphasizes, especially in the early portions.

khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By khoofia_pika

@Renegade_Fury said:

lol, too many people are replying to me at once, but when I say "N64 combat" I don't know why everyone is getting so offended. It's Z-targeting, slashing with A, using B for the shield, and doing backflips. How is that any different? Just because the enemies hurt more doesn't mean the combat itself has evolved. Witcher III's combat reminds me a little of JK2's dueling but with a pinch of Arkham style's combat, (and I'm sorry?) that I find that to be more interesting. I've always played Zelda for the puzzles; the fighting never was all that special to me.

Because as opposed to OoT combat, which was pretty rudimentary at the end of the day, BotW's combat has a lot of moving parts. Weapons and shield durability and armour ratings by themselves add so many layers to combat. Then you have the behaviour patters of all the enemies, which each them having different ways of behaving or attacking you. Then there's different weapon types, with each being significantly different than others, and for the first time in the series, you have options in combat- you can do ranged, you can do up close, you can do stealth, you can use the environment or your runes.

If you want to narrow it down to the absolute core, the mechanics of which buttons you press to kill enemies, sure it's the same as OoT. But by that token, so are 90% action games out there. You're simplifying it a bit too much.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Jebus213 said:

I don't trust or like the opinions of people with Nintendo sigs and avatars in this thread.

Interestingly enough, I am the only one who fits the bill, so... trust the opinion of everyone else posting in the thread, I guess?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#34 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58976 Posts

Can't really judge, but it's Zelda.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Yeah, you can cheese Lynels. Shit, I wouldn't even call that video cheesing, that's a pretty basic standard approach. Parry, dodge, get your hits in, durr. You can do all kinds of ridiculous shit fighting them, there's just so many ways to open them up for damage.

Also that's like the lowest level Lynel, who cares lol.

Still, BotW's combat isn't exactly a good go-to argument if we're talking BotW vs. TW3 of all games lmao.

-

On topic, it's not even a question for me, BotW all day.

khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 khoofia_pika

I think a more logical comparison for this thread would have been Breath of the Wild vs The Phantom Pain.

No_bo_dy_83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By No_bo_dy_83
Member since 2017 • 142 Posts

Zelda botw is goty but The witcher 3 with the story and story progression, characters, the world design, the music, the expansions/DLCs( hearts of stone Blood and Wine) which are as long as a new game... is basically the best rpg of the decade.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts

@Juub1990 said:

@Renegade_Fury: So your brother is cheesing the combat? I can do that in literally every game including Dark Souls and even more in The Witcher III. Kind of a poor argument.

lol hidden body + the ring that masks sounds = ultimate cheese for DS3.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Renegade_Fury
@charizard1605 said:
@Renegade_Fury said:

lol, too many people are replying to me at once, but when I say "N64 combat" I don't know why everyone is getting so offended. It's Z-targeting, slashing with A, using B for the shield, and doing backflips. How is that any different? Just because the enemies hurt more doesn't mean the combat itself has evolved. Witcher III's combat reminds me a little of JK2's dueling but with a pinch of Arkham style's combat, (and I'm sorry?) that I find that to be more interesting.

I legitimately don't think it is much like the N64 combat. I played Ocarina right before I played BotW, and the difference is clear in... uh, I think a minute of the first encounter. Enemies do hit harder, but the AI is far better scripted as well, weapons have different feels and heft, parrying and dodging are actual strategies now compared to before, Flurry Rush and Sneakstrikes are rewarded and emphasized, archery is a legitimate part of the actual combat flow and loop, and this is before we even get into the environmental considerations of combat, which the game very heavily emphasizes, especially in the early portions.

I played OoT, TP, and MM only a couple of months apart from playing BotW, and I disagree. Mechanically, literally nothing felt different to me other than the odd placement of the jump button. I found the differences in weaponry to be superficial, and any implementation of strategy to be overall unnecessary since the AI can be readily defeated without much effort either way. You can approach any fight the same way, versus in a game like Nioh, which is what I played directly after BotW, where both skill and tactics are necessary. BotW's strength is the freedom it allows you to tackle objectives, but to put its combat on a pedestal too is just over-glorification, imo.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Renegade_Fury said:
@charizard1605 said:
@Renegade_Fury said:

I played OoT, TP, and MM only a couple of months apart from playing BotW, and I disagree. Mechanically, literally nothing felt different to me other than the odd placement of the jump button. I found the differences in weaponry to be superficial, and any implementation of strategy to be overall unnecessary since the AI can be readily defeated without much effort either way. You can approach any fight the same way, versus in a game like Nioh, which is what I played directly after BotW, where both skill and tactics are necessary. BotW's strength is the freedom it allows you to tackle objectives, but to put its combat on a pedestal too is just over-glorification, imo.

To be clear, I am not saying that BotW's combat is award winning, or any such thing, I am just saying it is better than The Witcher 3's in my experience (which for me ended in each encounter becoming a protracted battle of attrition), and certainly not as simplistic as you are saying it is. But I think that in the end, it's coming down to our individual experiences with the games involved, and there is not much that can do there lol.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12139 Posts

I will tell you when I get a switch later this year....can't wait lol

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Renegade_Fury
@charizard1605 said:
@Renegade_Fury said:
@charizard1605 said:
@Renegade_Fury said:

To be clear, I am not saying that BotW's combat is award winning, or any such thing, I am just saying it is better than The Witcher 3's in my experience (which for me ended in each encounter becoming a battle of attrition), and certainly not as simplistic as you are saying it is. But I think that in the end, it's coming down to our individual experiences with the games involved, and there is not much that can do there lol.

Same here, because I'm also saying the same thing about the Witcher III, because I don't think it's all that great either, but it seems I have triggered a bunch of people (I have a dozen unread messages atm, lol). I think both games have brain dead combat, but you have to put a little more effort into the Witcher III's fighting than Zelda's is all.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@khoofia_pika said:

I think a more logical comparison for this thread would have been Breath of the Wild vs The Phantom Pain.

Yup. They're far more comparable. The common ground between TW3 and BotW is all superficial.

This thread will be more fun though, because it's a fight between two SW favorites.

MGSV would just be outright murdered by BotW on votes. And as a whole, I'd agree with those results as BotW comes together as a much better package, even if I do think MGSV has tighter mechanics, more systemic depth, and higher highs. It also has much lower lows, and while BotW does have some baggage of its own, it's nowhere near the mountain of shit you have to ignore in MGSV.

Simply put, BotW is the tighter game as a whole. Still I'd take both BotW and MGSV over what TW3 is serving.

We actually did have some nice in-depth discussions comparing the two games, but never in a specific thread for it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Renegade_Fury said:
@charizard1605 said:
@Renegade_Fury said:
@charizard1605 said:
@Renegade_Fury said:

To be clear, I am not saying that BotW's combat is award winning, or any such thing, I am just saying it is better than The Witcher 3's in my experience (which for me ended in each encounter becoming a battle of attrition), and certainly not as simplistic as you are saying it is. But I think that in the end, it's coming down to our individual experiences with the games involved, and there is not much that can do there lol.

Same here, because I'm also saying the same thing about the Witcher III, because I don't think it's all that great either, but it seems I have triggered a bunch of people (I have a dozen unread messages atm, lol). I think both games have brain dead combat, but you have to put a little more effort into the Witcher III's fighting than Zelda's is all.

Lol, people get defensive about their favorite game- I did too :)

But yeah, I think in the end it comes down to how we each approached the games in question. I personally found the combat in BotW to be a bit more involved than the combat in TW3.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7704 Posts

zelda combat vs witcher combat, which midget you betting on?

khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 khoofia_pika

@ConanTheStoner said:
@khoofia_pika said:

Yup. They're far more comparable. The common ground between TW3 and BotW is all superficial.

This thread will be more fun though, because it's a fight between two SW favorites.

MGSV would just be outright murdered by BotW on votes. And as a whole, I'd agree with those results as BotW comes together as a much better package, even if I do think MGSV has tighter mechanics, more systemic depth, and higher highs. It also has much lower lows, and while BotW does have some baggage of its own, it's nowhere near the mountain of shit you have to ignore in MGSV.

Simply put, BotW is the tighter game as a whole. Still I'd take both BotW and MGSV over what TW3 is serving.

We actually did have some nice in-depth discussions comparing the two games, but never in a specific thread for it.

Yeah, I think BotW has more cogs moving at the same time, but what's there in TPP is just far more nuanced and far more interactive. I sort of look at that game as the precursor to BotW, like a test-run of what was possible with this kind of gameplay. BotW took that formula and made it more consistent.

And I get what you mean about taking BotW/TPP over TW3. I mean, I personally love TW3, it's one of my all time favourites, but with the kind of game it was and the kind of experience it was offering, I kind of got tired of it in its final act. With The Phantom Pain and Breath of the Wild though, it's hard to get tired of those games. You can literally keep playing them endlessly, especially BotW.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50561 Posts

Not even close, zelda

koko-goal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48  Edited By koko-goal
Member since 2008 • 1122 Posts

Can't say which one is better because I didn't finish any of them yet... But gotta say, this comparison isn't right; it's like comparing Spiderman to Assassin's Creed.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22685 Posts

I understand how well done the Witcher 3 was... I played it and enjoyed it but Zelda takes a massive dump all over it as a video game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@howmakewood said:

zelda combat vs witcher combat, which midget you betting on?

Lol, combat isn't that bad in either