The Witcher 2 looks like a console action RPG more than anything...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#51 110million
Member since 2008 • 14910 Posts

[QUOTE="Guppy507"][QUOTE="GeneralShowzer"] Cool opinion? Even if that was, why wouldn't they improve it, instead they changed complete direction towards console street.mitu123

How is this not improved over the first one?

Because it doesn't have mindless clicking.:lol:

Well in Witcher 1, mindlessly clicking would get you boned pretty fast, you had to have pretty good timing, but it wasn't a particularly great combat system, just one that required a bit more of a different kind of precision.
GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#52 GeneralShowzer
Member since 2010 • 11598 Posts

[QUOTE="SAGE_OF_FIRE"][QUOTE="GeneralShowzer"] No, I don't understand how the game-play can be a bonus in an RPG.

Demon Souls is one of the best RPG's this gen and it barely even have a story.

Nothing in my post related to story or characters... You still didn't answer my question. It plays the same as Fable III. It might not be super easy or insanely imbalanced, but that's the idea with the combat. Fable III or Demon Souls..

killzoneded

Demon's Souls would have worked better with a kb/mouse, and The Witcher 2 still has all the dice rolls in the background.

Demons Souls would loose 99% of its appeal with a keyboard and mouse for me

I'm with you on this one. I would probably have to dust off my 360 controller for The Witcher 2 by the looks of it.
GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 GeneralShowzer
i know the point of this thread is negative, but for some reason the title makes me happy. action RPG FTW. Mafty
It's not negative at all .
Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts

I'm gonna horribly butcher up your post structure for the sake of clarity, so forgive me.

[QUOTE="GeneralShowzer"]

1. Unlike the previous game it has no free isometric camera,

2. it doesn't have the mouse interface while in game ,

3. instead it has twitchy dodge mechanics, mash to attack,

4. and a combat interface taken straight from Dragon Age (console version)

Discuss.

rpgs_shall_rule

1. This sucks. Hopefully you can still zoom out quite far.

2. I hate whoever decided this. Radial menu = bad...

3. Not really a bad thing. Or a console thing. Kinda reminds me of the double tap to dodge in UT.

4. Radial menu again? FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Nothing is wrong with radial menus, they've been used in PC games since the 90s and they work fine. You hate radial menus because recent console ports misuse radial menus, thus making them annoying.

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 GeneralShowzer
[QUOTE="mitu123"]

[QUOTE="Guppy507"] How is this not improved over the first one?110million

Well in Witcher 1, mindlessly clicking would get you boned pretty fast, you had to have pretty good timing, but it wasn't a particularly great combat system, just one that required a bit more of a different kind of precision.

People don't seem to get that though. It's Diablo with a pattern, it's dynamic, it looked awesome. It was kind of clunky at times, but that can be improved.
Avatar image for rpgs_shall_rule
rpgs_shall_rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56 rpgs_shall_rule
Member since 2006 • 1943 Posts

[QUOTE="GeneralShowzer"][QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

Oh give it a rest already, it does not look like a console actino rpg.

kozzy1234

Ok, what does it do different than Fable III? What PC specific feature does it use to separate it from console action RPGs ?

Did you even play Fable???? There was NO story or good characters there, one of the worst stories/characters ever for an rpg. The Witcher2 looks to have an epic story with great characters. There is plenty more I could list, but to compare The Witcher2 to Fable3 shows your ignorance.

A console action rpg would be Gothic4, were they took everything away and made a crap game, The Witcher2 looks fantastic, haters gonna hate though.

"OH NO!!! NOT THE WHEEL IN WITCHER2!! THE CONSOLIZED!"
Comparing Fable3 to The Witcher series is hilarious and shows your ignorance.

And your post belies your ignorance. Story is not a PC specific feature. It does not define a PC RPG. Thus, you have not, in any way, addressed Showzer's points at all. Although I would not go as far as calling The Witcher 2 a console ARPG, I do lament certain directions the game has taken, especially with respect to the UI and such.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#58 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

[QUOTE="Guppy507"] How is this not improved over the first one?110million

You also had to switch up your style of attacks but really there isn't a lot to it, I wasn't a huge fan of it but I can see why they made it like that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 deactivated-58b6232955e4a

[QUOTE="SAGE_OF_FIRE"][QUOTE="GeneralShowzer"] No, I don't understand how the game-play can be a bonus in an RPG.

Demon Souls is one of the best RPG's this gen and it barely even have a story.

Nothing in my post related to story or characters... You still didn't answer my question. It plays the same as Fable III. It might not be super easy or insanely imbalanced, but that's the idea with the combat. Fable III or Demon Souls..

killzoneded

Demon's Souls would have worked better with a kb/mouse, and The Witcher 2 still has all the dice rolls in the background.

The gameplay/animations wouldn't have to be altered because it uses lock on combat. The ui could have been improved for easier selection of spells and items.
110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 110million

[QUOTE="110million"][QUOTE="mitu123"]Because it doesn't have mindless clicking.:lol:

GeneralShowzer

People don't seem to get that though. It's Diablo with a pattern, it's dynamic, it looked awesome. It was kind of clunky at times, but that can be improved.

Honestly speaking though, while I would have preferred an improved version of the original, I don't really care that they changed it. I still say its too early to judge whether the camera and such from the video is the only one. Witcher 1 had some where you didn't use the mouse as well.

rpgs_shall_rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 rpgs_shall_rule

Nothing is wrong with radial menus, they've been used in PC games since the 90s and they work fine. You hate radial menus because recent console ports misuse radial menus, thus making them annoying.

SAGE_OF_FIRE

Ok, I hate radial menus that require you to hold the button down to keep open, and that don't pause the game. If they worked like every other menu, I'd be fine with it (kinda; I still hate the shape).

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 GeneralShowzer

I'm gonna horribly butcher up your post structure for the sake of clarity, so forgive me.

[QUOTE="GeneralShowzer"]

Discuss.

rpgs_shall_rule

3. Not really a bad thing. Or a console thing. Kinda reminds me of the double tap to dodge in UT.

Yeah, well i didn't say it was all a bad thing, just the direction of the franchise shifted 100% towards console style game-play ( or multi-plat, whatever is acceptable)

h575309

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 h575309
Member since 2005 • 8551 Posts

Its kind of ironic that when a PC exclusive clearly looks like its being "consolized" away from its predecessor that hermits defend it blindly.

Yet its almost guaranteed that if this was coming to consoles as well they'd be screaming "CONSOLIZATIONZ"

Funny how things work out like that.

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts
Fable with good graphics confirmed?MFDOOM1983
its not fable unless you can have an orgy and a dozen kids for no real reason
Avatar image for deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
Member since 2007 • 17401 Posts

[QUOTE="GeneralShowzer"]

Discuss.

rpgs_shall_rule

The first Witcher had 5 different signs. A radial menu works perfectly fine for that. Besides, it was a hassle to change signs in the first game. You had to pause the game to get your mouse cursor on screen, then you had to manually select what sign you wanted. In this, it looks much faster, taking you out of combat for a shorter period of time. It reminds me of choosing your suit abliity in Crysis.

haberman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 haberman13
Member since 2003 • 2414 Posts

Witcher 1 was good for the atmosphere, characters, alchemy and "adult-ness".

As long as those things are intact its a win.

Consoles definitely ruin games, but not because of menus, rather simplified gameplay/corridors/remove gear for the ADD-brahs.

I don't think you need to worry about this one, even with 'radial menus'.

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 GeneralShowzer

Its kind of ironic that when a PC exclusive clearly looks like its being "consolized" away from its predecessor that hermits defend it blindly.

Yet its almost guaranteed that if this was coming to consoles as well they'd be screaming "CONSOLIZATIONZ"

h575309
How can a PC exclusive be consolised? It may be simplified, but consolised, no.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 mitu123

[QUOTE="110million"][QUOTE="mitu123"]Because it doesn't have mindless clicking.:lol:

GeneralShowzer

Maybe it's me, but I think Diablo had better combat, been ages though.

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 110million

h575309
More like, there is one guy who keeps making a million threads about the game being consolized, while very few people agree with him.
savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts

h575309
to be fair the first game tried to more action like combat and less strategic combat like dragon age for the pc, and it sort of just ended up with some meh gameplay, though i never really got into it, i got board of clicking on people to get the timing bonus and eventaully just stopped caring about the game.
rpgs_shall_rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 rpgs_shall_rule

h575309

...?

Please enlighten us as to which game you're thinking of.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
[QUOTE="h575309"]

GeneralShowzer

It's not simplified, it's just different.
GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 GeneralShowzer

[QUOTE="rpgs_shall_rule"]

[QUOTE="GeneralShowzer"]

Discuss.

Guppy507

The first Witcher had 5 different signs. A radial menue works perfectly fine for that. Besides, it was a hassle to change signs in the first game. You had to pause the game to get your mouse cursor, then you had to manually select what sign you wanted. In this, it looks much faster, taking you out of combat for a shorter period of time. It reminds me of choosing your suit abliity in Crysis.

You seem to missed that in the first game if you pressed SHIFT the mouse would pop right up and you can change stances, spells, or use potions with a mouse, and you didn't need to pause.

It's nothing like Crysis. The interface works the same way as Mass Effect / Dragon Age : Origins on consoles. (You pause the game to select a spell/ ability from a radial menu and bind them to Y and B key. It's not a coincidence, trust me.)

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#74 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

"OH NO!!! THE WHEEL! THE WITCHER2 HAS TEH WHEEL! CONSOLIZED TRASH!" :lol:

Someone bump that thread, was hilarious.

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 110million
[QUOTE="GeneralShowzer"][QUOTE="h575309"]

SAGE_OF_FIRE

Exactly. I'm sure if you looked hard enough, you'd find plenty of PC exclusives with even more "consolized" action.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

SAGE_OF_FIRE

Streamlined is the correct word for it. And not the Mass Effect 2 streamlined where they removed almost everything that made it an RPG. Good streamlining that looks like it's going to improve the game.
killzoneded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 killzoneded
Member since 2011 • 486 Posts

[QUOTE="killzoneded"]

[QUOTE="SAGE_OF_FIRE"] Demon's Souls would have worked better with a kb/mouse, and The Witcher 2 still has all the dice rolls in the background. GeneralShowzer

I'm with you on this one. I would probably have to dust off my 360 controller for The Witcher 2 by the looks of it.

I will definatly play it with a 360 pad, like i did with Xpadder abd Amnesia and made the game far more immersive

Thank god for the native support

I will also definatly buy the xbox 360 version too when it comes later

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 mitu123

[QUOTE="GeneralShowzer"]

[QUOTE="Guppy507"] How is this not improved over the first one?Guppy507

It's not improved it's completely revamped to suit consoles. It might be better, sure, I don't know.

Or maybe it's revamped because the old system was bad? The U.I. was okay at best and the combat/controls were clunky and bad. In this, the combat looks fluid. Unless fluid combat isn't allowed on PC, I don't see what you're getting at.

It's obviously not because it would be a console game.

Seriously though, this is a nice change, next thing you'll know some may complain about the combat not changing or improving.

tonitorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#79 tonitorsi
Member since 2006 • 8692 Posts

The lip syncing looks horribad for this game

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 kozzy1234

SAGE_OF_FIRE

Exactly, trolls seem to forget that differnt does not = simplified or consolized. HUGE difference.

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 GeneralShowzer

"OH NO!!! THE WHEEL! THE WITCHER2 HAS TEH WHEEL! CONSOLIZED TRASH!" :lol:

Someone bump that thread, was hilarious.

kozzy1234
So you failed to bring up any valid point, and you seem to mockingly mimic me now. Works every time i guess.
Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#82 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

The devs have confirmed that the game supports both mouse and keyboard and gamepad.

They said they built TWO different interfaces to best handle the two types of input.

That's EXACTLY what we PC gamers want. More options (M&K or controller) and care taken to seperate the two, giving us a control scheme/camera/GUI that takes into account the strengths and weaknesses of BOTH.

I wish more devs did this.

Hell, most devs will actually tell you right off the bat that they're too lazy to do that! Bioware, for example.

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 GeneralShowzer

SAGE_OF_FIRE

It's different in the sense " We're going multi-platform now, and this isn't the best UI, or the best combat for that" I wasn't talking about the Witcher 2 to be honest.
110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 110million

the devs have confirmed that the game supports both mouse and keyboard and gamepad.

They said they built TWO different interfaces to best handle the two types of input.

That EXACTLY what we PC gamers want. More options (M&K or controller) and care taken to seperate the two, giving us a control scheme/camera/GUI that takes into account the strengths and weaknesses of BOTH.

I wish more devs did this.

Kinthalis
Whenever I argue why PC gaming is good, I include the option to use whatever controller or input device. Option is the best thing you can have. Who would want to be able to do less? :?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 deactivated-58b6232955e4a

tonitorsi
Small dev + non native language + long game + lots of characters = ???
110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 110million
[QUOTE="tonitorsi"]

SAGE_OF_FIRE

+ old video + probably have not even gotten to the syncing yet. :P
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 mitu123

SAGE_OF_FIRE

Yep, it's streamlined.
GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 GeneralShowzer
Please point to where i said that the game "Is consolised because of the wheel"
110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 110million
Please point to where i said that the game "Is consolised because of the wheel"GeneralShowzer
Have you not said that before? You were pretty insistent on it. Even when people showed you wheels in other games.. you kept saying it wasn't the same..
edidili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 edidili
Member since 2004 • 3449 Posts

It's an action rpg and and as with all the other action rpgs it has a simple combat. Neither the first nor the second are hard to play with a gamepad. Witcher 1 was PC exclusive not because the gameplay was hard to transfer in consoles but because the developers didn't have enough money to port it.

That said hotbar > radial menu.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Please point to where i said that the game "Is consolised because of the wheel"GeneralShowzer
That other really long thread.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 kozzy1234

[QUOTE="GeneralShowzer"]Please point to where i said that the game "Is consolised because of the wheel"SAGE_OF_FIRE
That other really long thread.

Dont remind him! He does not want to hear it!:lol:

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 GeneralShowzer
[QUOTE="GeneralShowzer"]Please point to where i said that the game "Is consolised because of the wheel"110million
Have you not said that before? You were pretty insistent on it. Even when people showed you wheels in other games.. you kept saying it wasn't the same..

It's not...Play DA on consoles you will understand. God i don't want to repeat this again... Because of limited number of buttons, you have to pause the game to bind spells to Y and B button. Is this really hard to understand? It's the exact same UI, that's where they took it over from. And i clearly gave a number of reasons to prove the shift in direction of the franchise, i never said " It's consolised because of the wheel"

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
You seem to missed that in the first game if you pressed SHIFT the mouse would pop right up and you can change stances, spells, or use potions with a mouse, and you didn't need to pause.GeneralShowzer
Why would you do that if you're in combat and getting attacked? The radial menu does the exact same thing, but with fewer button presses/mouse clicks. That's U.I. Improvement 101 right there. It has nothing to do with catering to consoles, it's just an improvement over the existing system.
It's nothing like Crysis. The interface works the same way as Mass Effect / Dragon Age : Origins on consoles. (You pause the game to select a spell/ ability from a radial menu and bind them to Y and B key. It's not a coincidence, trust me.)GeneralShowzer
You pull up the radial menu (which pauses the game), select the sign you want equipped, then (I assume) right-click to use the sign. Other than the fact that it pauses the game, it seems a lot like Crysis. Crysis' radial menu is pretty similar to Mass Effect's.
110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 110million

[QUOTE="110million"][QUOTE="GeneralShowzer"]Please point to where i said that the game "Is consolised because of the wheel"kozzy1234

hahaha, now he is trying to deny making that thread, this dude is just a troll plain and simple.

I'm just confused, he argues hes looking forward to the game a lot, but makes so many threads against it when just about every argument is based off some small footage. There very well could be hot key support and separate KB+M controls (and very likely even), and literally all his threads can end up being for no reason other than jumping into speculation.
RyuRanVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#99 RyuRanVII
Member since 2006 • 4257 Posts
[QUOTE="110million"][QUOTE="SAGE_OF_FIRE"][QUOTE="tonitorsi"]

+ old video + probably have not even gotten to the syncing yet. :P

Lip sync and facial animations are not done yet.