The whole DRM thing on the Xbox One is being overblown

• 104 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

whitetiger3521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 whitetiger3521
Member since 2005 • 4686 Posts

People have already been supporting DRM by buying games digitally. So that means the PS3 and Xbox 360 already has had and been supporting full DRM. When you buy a game on the Ipad or other Smartphone guess what? You download it digitally so therefor there is no trading or selling the game you just bought. That is the case for every device that has digital downloads.

This whole thing is being way overblown! I can't believe people are actually trying to use that as a negative towards the Xbox One it's just stupid. If people were really that concerned about DRM why just now start complaining about it? It just makes no sense to bash the Xbox One for it.

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
I don't buy games digitally on consoles?
Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

In Soviet XBox, game own you.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
Games on ipad\smartphone are 1$ :lol:
super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

Inb4 the cows posts.

If the drm is more consumer friendly it will be okay.MS has until november to fix the issues with the xbox one.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts
Connecting to the internet once after you install a game would work fine. Having to connect to the internet every 24 hours so your console will not become a useless brick is uncalled for...
Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

last i check games on your ipad don't stop working if you don't have a internet connection for 24 hours and those games cost what, 5 maybe 10 dollars. You trying to compare it to something thats 50-60. Also why shouldn't i be able to trade in my games or lend it to a friend without jumping through hoops. Thats the problem people have with it.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#9 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

If you buy a game digitally, could you put it on a flash drive and sell it to someone? I do not buy games digitally a lot. :P

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#10 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14498 Posts

So I take it you never played Diablo 3 or SimCity then?

And no, the issue is not overblown.  The X1 has completely subjected itself to the quality of your ISP and if they screw up, you're the one who gets the shaft.

GOGOGOGURT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GOGOGOGURT
Member since 2010 • 4470 Posts

Most people don't realize this, as you can see from the flabbergasted comments.

But you're wrong.  You CAN trade in games on the X1.  But you can download it digitally, so you get the in-between of digital downloads.  Best of both worlds.

But the ONLY REAL restriciton on the X1 is having to check in every 24 hours.  I don't know why they made that MANDATORY for even playing singleplayer, should just be if you have gold.

Avatar image for call_of_duty_10
call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 call_of_duty_10
Member since 2009 • 4954 Posts

TC is obviously one of micro$oft's shills!!!

Sons of Sony,prepare to engage!!SDC!SDC!SDC!1one

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 shawn30
Member since 2006 • 4409 Posts
Connecting to the internet once after you install a game would work fine. Having to connect to the internet every 24 hours so your console will not become a useless brick is uncalled for...superclocked
Its a once a day thing and a small file you can tether to your phone. Personally I couldn't possibly care less. If both my phone and home internet go down for a whoile day Im sure there's something else in the world I can do until they are back on. Not that they have ever been off simulaniously.:)
FastEddie2121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FastEddie2121
Member since 2009 • 3081 Posts

EA will be coming out with a used game policy for all platforms, not just the X1. Sony itself has admitted that 3rd party groups can establish DRM for their games. EA's initial announcement of abandoning online passes for all their games (not just xbox) was a short-lived breath of fresh air knowing now they didn't remove this policy as a boon to gamers. It was done since their DRM will make it such that the need for online passes will be unnecessary. PS4's policies make it tremendously more appealing than the X1 at the moment, but if other companies follow EA's lead, the PS4 won't be the haven of good gaming policies that it is today.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
I don't buy games digitally on consoles?YoshiYogurt
/THREAD
Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Look at shills like super600 try to defend M$. No shame at all.

whitetiger3521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 whitetiger3521

last i check games on your ipad don't stop working if you don't have a internet connection for 24 hours and those games cost what, 5 maybe 10 dollars. You trying to compare it to something thats 50-60. Also why shouldn't i be able to trade in my games or lend it to a friend without jumping through hoops. Thats the problem people have with it.

Chris_Williams

Why can't I sell or trade any games I bought digitally on the PS3 and Xbox 360? I don't see anyone complaining about that..... The Internet requirement is a whole other discussion as most devices require an internet connection to download games, updates and access content. If you can't connect to the internet at least once a day then obviously a Xbox One is not going to be something you can buy. Hell you might as well not even bother buying a next gen system as both the PS4 and Xbox One are gearing towards more online centric gaming. The people who buy consoles solely for single player is a very small percentage of gamers these days.

heeweesRus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 heeweesRus
Member since 2012 • 5492 Posts

Inb4 the cows posts.

If the drm is more consumer friendly it will be okay.MS has until november to fix the issues with the xbox one.

super600

qq moar

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts
I don't buy games digitally on consoles?YoshiYogurt
Neither do I. What's next oh grand wizard of the internet? hahaha
super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 super600  Moderator

NathanDrakeSwag

I said if the drm is not an anoyance to the consumer it's fine. In it's present form it's a giant annoyance,And reveal your real account dude.

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

Its really not.

CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts

Games on ipad\smartphone are 1$ :lol:MonsieurX
So your problem is price and not DRM?

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 super600  Moderator

[QUOTE="super600"]

Inb4 the cows posts.

heeweesRus

qq moar

You shouldn't be talking dude.

BlaveBrave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BlaveBrave
Member since 2005 • 809 Posts

I said this before and I'll say it again.

"They only way I see the MS model working is if they slash the price of games. Heck you can get a brand new game on Steam or Greenman Gaming for $40 sometimes less. But they also have the Indie problem and Internet thing like some of their consumers isn't in college with a crap connection and limited on funds >.> (Well that was me 5 years ago)"

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 NathanDrakeSwag

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]Games on ipad\smartphone are 1$ :lol:CanYouDiglt
So you problem is price and not DRM?

What are you gonna do with a $1 game sell it for a penny?

CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 CanYouDiglt

[QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"][QUOTE="MonsieurX"]Games on ipad\smartphone are 1$ :lol:NathanDrakeSwag

So you problem is price and not DRM?

No one has a problem with DRM on Steam for example.
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 NathanDrakeSwag

[QUOTE="NathanDrakeSwag"]

[QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"] So you problem is price and not DRM? CanYouDiglt

Do you think M$ would ever have sales like Steam does?

Avatar image for call_of_duty_10
call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 call_of_duty_10
Member since 2009 • 4954 Posts

[QUOTE="heeweesRus"]

[QUOTE="super600"]

Inb4 the cows posts.

super600

qq moar

You shouldn't be talking dude.

No,he should talk. YOU are the one who shouldn't talk,shill!How much is M$ paying you anyway?
tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5991 Posts
The 24 hour check in is to allow you to install the game, not require the disk again and share with your friends. As soon as you can run without disk you need some form of protection. I for one agree the DRM is well over bashed and given the choice I'd take the DRM in its current state over needing disks and not being able to share with friends With them playing at same time as me (1 at a time plus me).
menes777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 menes777
Member since 2003 • 2643 Posts

Also because you can play single player steam games offline.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Heil68

super600

I said if the drm is not an anoyance to the consumer it's fine. In it's present form it's a giant annoyance,And reveal your real account dude.

That's defending. Real shame you dont take that Ranger(lol) tag and responsibility(lol) seriously.
superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 superclocked

Steam only requires that you connect to the internet once after you install a game. You do not need to connect to the internet every single day...
cheesie253

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 cheesie253
Member since 2003 • 1014 Posts

Chris_Williams
You also don't have a physical copy of the game to then trade or lend out if its on the iPad anyway bad comparison. Without the check in you could install a game and then pass the disc to as many people as you wanted without any more sales. The reason for the check is that they want to go with not having a disc required. That means no loading, swapping discs to change from game to game and if stored on the cloud little hard drive space lost. The drm will not prevent you from buying a used game or using a game to fund another purchase. It is simply there to make sure no one passes one copy of a game around to every one and the publishers losing money. The check in has no affect on used game sales. It is a system implemented to prevent what would be pirating.
menes777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 menes777

The 24 hour check in is to allow you to install the game, not require the disk again and share with your friends. As soon as you can run without disk you need some form of protection. I for one agree the DRM is well over bashed and given the choice I'd take the DRM in its current state over needing disks and not being able to share with friends With them playing at same time as me (1 at a time plus me). tdkmillsy

I think they should combine the DRMs.  Have the 24 hour check if you don't have the disc in.  But if you have the disc than it doesn't need the online verification.  That fixes it for everyone.  Either you deal with discs or you have the internet.

BlaveBrave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BlaveBrave

[QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"][QUOTE="NathanDrakeSwag"]

NathanDrakeSwag

When I pre-order Bioshock on Steam. I got X-Com and the first Bioshock for free. Not to mention all the other new games I got for $35-$40 like Boarderlands 2. :D

menes777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 menes777

[QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"]No one has a problem with DRM on Steam for example.BlaveBrave

When I pre-order Bioshock on Steam. I got X-Com and the first Bioshock for free. Not to mention all the other new games I got for $35-$40 like Boarderlands 2. :D

How about a 4 pack of the original Borderlands GOTY for $12.99?

whitetiger3521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 whitetiger3521

Exactly.. If DRM was really that big of an issue more people would be complaining about not being able to lend your friend your game that you bought on Steam. Just because I bought a game for .99 that makes it ok for me to not be able to lend it or just give it away if I want?

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts
[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"]

cheesie253
You also don't have a physical copy of the game to then trade or lend out if its on the iPad anyway bad comparison. Without the check in you could install a game and then pass the disc to as many people as you wanted without any more sales. The reason for the check is that they want to go with not having a disc required. That means no loading, swapping discs to change from game to game and if stored on the cloud little hard drive space lost. The drm will not prevent you from buying a used game or using a game to fund another purchase. It is simply there to make sure no one passes one copy of a game around to every one and the publishers losing money. The check in has no affect on used game sales. It is a system implemented to prevent what would be pirating.

people don't like drm, why do you think ubisoft stop doing it. Also you don't remember the sim city fiasco? All it is is punishing people for things other people might do.
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

If you're gonna have physically copies, I expect it to work like last gen. I'm not imposing restrcitions on me. Just get a PS4.

menes777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 menes777

whitetiger3521

Exactly.. If DRM was really that big of an issue more people would be complaining about not being able to lend your friend your game that you bought on Steam. Just because I bought a game for .99 that makes it ok for me to not be able to lend it or just give it away if I want?

Apples to Oranges, you can buy over a dozen copies of that $1 game for your friends versus only being able to buy one copy of that X1 game for a far greater cost that no one but you can use.

BlaveBrave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 BlaveBrave

[QUOTE="BlaveBrave"]

menes777

How about a 4 pack of the original Borderlands GOTY for $12.99?

futurama-steam-sale-robbed.jpg

CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 CanYouDiglt

NathanDrakeSwag

So then it is a price thing and not drm itself.
tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5991 Posts

[QUOTE="tdkmillsy"]The 24 hour check in is to allow you to install the game, not require the disk again and share with your friends. As soon as you can run without disk you need some form of protection. I for one agree the DRM is well over bashed and given the choice I'd take the DRM in its current state over needing disks and not being able to share with friends With them playing at same time as me (1 at a time plus me). menes777

I think they should combine the DRMs.  Have the 24 hour check if you don't have the disc in.  But if you have the disc than it doesn't need the online verification.  That fixes it for everyone.  Either you deal with discs or you have the internet.

It would be really good if they can do this and I hope they figure out how to include some kind of offline without affecting the features. I think the problem is the hacking of the Xbox 360 was to do with disk checks and its a weak point of the protection. Perhaps some kind of offline mode where you can't install games would work.
nightshade869

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#45 nightshade869
Member since 2007 • 3457 Posts
My biggest issue is you can't play your game offline....simple reason to not buy this console. That is not overblown for me personally, it is a valid reason to not want to spend hundreds when I can get another box that plays almost all the same games for less money with no online requirements. Not a difficult decision.
superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 superclocked
My biggest issue is you can't play your game offline....simple reason to not buy this console. That is not overblown for me personally, it is a valid reason to not want to spend hundreds when I can get another box that plays almost all the same games for less money with no online requirements. Not a difficult decision.nightshade869
I agree 100%...
Avatar image for littlestreakier
littlestreakier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 littlestreakier
Member since 2004 • 2950 Posts

Connecting to the internet once after you install a game would work fine. Having to connect to the internet every 24 hours so your console will not become a useless brick is uncalled for...superclocked

This.  This is my main problem with the XboxOne.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Heil68
[QUOTE="nightshade869"]My biggest issue is you can't play your game offline....simple reason to not buy this console. That is not overblown for me personally, it is a valid reason to not want to spend hundreds when I can get another box that plays almost all the same games for less money with no online requirements. Not a difficult decision.superclocked
I agree 100%...

Avatar image for littlestreakier
littlestreakier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 littlestreakier
Member since 2004 • 2950 Posts

[QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"]No one has a problem with DRM on Steam for example.CanYouDiglt

So then it is a price thing and not drm itself.

I remember reading somewhere that they want XboxOne to be like Steam on steroids.  They also want to have sales like steam, that's one of their main goals. I'm going to let them prove that to me first though, I'm not going to be a day one supporter of it just on a hunch that this is what they will do...

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#50 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts
No matter how good or bad something Microsoft does is: people will hate. Even if they do something that appears to be good people will make theories about Microsoft's World domination or something. People ALWAYS expect something bad from Microsoft.