The whole DRM thing on the Xbox One is being overblown

• 104 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 6235 Posts

[QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"][QUOTE="NathanDrakeSwag"]

Do you think M$ would ever have sales like Steam does?

littlestreakier

So then it is a price thing and not drm itself.

I remember reading somewhere that they want XboxOne to be like Steam on steroids.  They also want to have sales like steam, that's one of their main goals. I'm going to let them prove that to me first though, I'm not going to be a day one supporter of it just on a hunch that this is what they will do...

Someone willing to give it a chance, very refreshing on these forums. I hope you are right.
menes777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 menes777
Member since 2003 • 2643 Posts

[QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"][QUOTE="NathanDrakeSwag"]

Do you think M$ would ever have sales like Steam does?

littlestreakier

So then it is a price thing and not drm itself.

I remember reading somewhere that they want XboxOne to be like Steam on steroids.  They also want to have sales like steam, that's one of their main goals. I'm going to let them prove that to me first though, I'm not going to be a day one supporter of it just on a hunch that this is what they will do...

As discussd in another thread, MS has no incentives to have sales like Steam.  They might lower the prices somewhat, but now where near Steam levels.  Especially not if they plan on bringing in royalties for each game sold.

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 casharmy
Member since 2011 • 9388 Posts

No matter how good or bad something Microsoft does is: people will hate. Even if they do something that appears to be good people will make theories about Microsoft's World domination or something. People ALWAYS expect something bad from Microsoft.shadowchronicle
What is this "good" you speak of?  It has to happen for you to have a point.  There is NOTHING that MS offers with xbox for videogames that is not done equal or better by other companies out there for far better value. 

Come back when you have an argument to back up those hypothetical assumptions. 

Rayrota

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#54 Rayrota
Member since 2005 • 1456 Posts

"The whole DRM thing on the Xbox One is being overblown"

LetMeLaughHarder_zps6b882df3.gif

razu2444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 razu2444
Member since 2010 • 820 Posts
The Xbox one is overblown...just look at it...it is just plain fat
Krazymixture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Krazymixture
Member since 2010 • 175 Posts
What's over blown is people's understanding of what the drm is for. On X1, there is no disc change. All full games are on your harddrive. And don't say ps3 and ps4 can do that because the disc doesn't install full game. You would have to purchase on psn right? There's the kicker. You can't share those games. Just yours. I get 10 people to share my digital game INSTANTLY. https://securecdn.disqus.com/uploads/mediaembed/images/520/3848/original.jpg. So I don't wanna here ps3 installs games to because you can't share those. The 24hr check is so you cheap as$es don't install one disc on 10 X1s. Microsoft leading the way again. Just like Sony late to charge for online(which helps for a much better experience stated by Sony) they'll be late on this too. I don't wanna change discs next gen at all and I wanna share my games with 10 of my people's. Sweet
cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#57 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts
I have between my 360 and ps3, 30 games on hdd. I hve no problem with it, very little problem with the x1. I do have some issues with used games policy, but see the benefit for devs at least. iIn the end, the x1 will have games I want to play that ps4 doesn't. so I will own both as I did last gen and gen before. I win.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

Seems to me that they are reacting like they should, the Xbox dOnes drm is way to agressive.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
deactivated-5c79c3cfce222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#59 deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
Member since 2009 • 4715 Posts
Guess what, discs aren't digital.
AD216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 AD216
Member since 2008 • 1719 Posts
[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]Games on ipad\smartphone are 1$ :lol:

ctfu have u ever been to the app store? games r either free to play with mad in app purchases or between $5-25. there are games between $1-4 but they r all trash.
AD216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 AD216
Member since 2008 • 1719 Posts
Guess what, discs aren't digital.McStrongfast
they r when u install them lmmfao wow. u set urself up for that
super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#62 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

[QUOTE="super600"]

[QUOTE="heeweesRus"]

qq moar

call_of_duty_10

You shouldn't be talking dude.

No,he should talk. YOU are the one who shouldn't talk,shill!How much is M$ paying you anyway?

I don't like the DRM stuff either even though I can deal with it.MS has only revealed a part of their plan.They haven't revealed everything about how used games and the DRM works on the console yet.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 super600  Moderator

[QUOTE="super600"]

[QUOTE="NathanDrakeSwag"]

Look at shills like super600 try to defend M$. No shame at all.

Heil68

I said if the drm is not an anoyance to the consumer it's fine. In it's present form it's a giant annoyance,And reveal your real account dude.

That's defending. Real shame you dont take that Ranger(lol) tag and responsibility(lol) seriously.

Like I said in it's present form it's a giant annoyance for most people. I think MS still has more info to reveal about their DRM and used game policy.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 super600  Moderator

My biggest issue is you can't play your game offline....simple reason to not buy this console. That is not overblown for me personally, it is a valid reason to not want to spend hundreds when I can get another box that plays almost all the same games for less money with no online requirements. Not a difficult decision.nightshade869

Yes!I agree with this.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#65 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

No... No it's not... Funny thing is listening to that moron Major Nelson, he says we wont ever let you not play your game even when the servers go down. Yet when asked why they simply couldn't just turn the DRM off he got all pissy and said it are you a developer? Like it was impossible.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
[QUOTE="McStrongfast"]Guess what, discs aren't digital.AD216
they r when u install them lmmfao wow. u set urself up for that

Don't be an idiot. A disc is a physical property and as such comes with expectations regarding ownership. Customers expect to be able to share them without these restrictions Microsoft is attempting to impose.
XboxStache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 XboxStache
Member since 2013 • 1530 Posts

Inb4 the cows posts.

If the drm is more consumer friendly it will be okay.MS has until november to fix the issues with the xbox one.

super600
LOL@Super600 having faith in Microsoft. If you actually believe Microsoft's gonna "fix" anything by November, then you're obviously one of those guys who watched Microsoft's E3 and gave them a pass on giving you the finger. SMH@this guy.
GravityX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 GravityX
Member since 2013 • 865 Posts
People want innovation, but they don't want change. Xbox One is a connected console. You may not have a physical disk but you have the benefits of playing your game on any Xbox One when you're signed into it. Also you friends can "borrow" your games from your virtual library from anywhere in the country. Let's not be afraid to move the gaming industry forward.
Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#69 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

You realize if for any reaason you're banned on Xbox live your games are done for right ? 

Mr720fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Mr720fan
Member since 2013 • 2795 Posts

People want innovation, but they don't want change. Xbox One is a connected console. You may not have a physical disk but you have the benefits of playing your game on any Xbox One when you're signed into it. Also you friends can "borrow" your games from your virtual library from anywhere in the country. Let's not be afraid to move the gaming industry forward.GravityX

same people tout steam, which is basically the same thing other than the sign in 24 hours. Microsoft wants to go this route it is their choice, I respect the innovation and vision, they are trying to push us into the future and predictable you see the masses cry about the change. If you dont like it, dont but it, but the experience on xbox 1 is going to be 2nd to none.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
People want innovation, but they don't want change. Xbox One is a connected console. You may not have a physical disk but you have the benefits of playing your game on any Xbox One when you're signed into it. Also you friends can "borrow" your games from your virtual library from anywhere in the country. Let's not be afraid to move the gaming industry forward.GravityX
Shill warning.
FIipMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#72 FIipMode
Member since 2009 • 10850 Posts

[QUOTE="call_of_duty_10"][QUOTE="super600"]

You shouldn't be talking dude.

super600

No,he should talk. YOU are the one who shouldn't talk,shill!How much is M$ paying you anyway?

I don't like the DRM stuff either even though I can deal with it.MS has only revealed a part of their plan.They haven't revealed everything about how used games and the DRM works on the console yet.

i don't see how what's already announced isn't horrible enough. But have they actually said there is more details to come?
xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

Least Xbox One has one thing over Steam....... You can sell your games to gamestop or another retailer supported by MS. 

edit- Not bashing steam it's a great service. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 deactivated-5c79c3cfce222

[QUOTE="GravityX"]People want innovation, but they don't want change. Xbox One is a connected console. You may not have a physical disk but you have the benefits of playing your game on any Xbox One when you're signed into it. Also you friends can "borrow" your games from your virtual library from anywhere in the country. Let's not be afraid to move the gaming industry forward.Mr720fan

same people tout steam, which is basically the same thing other than the sign in 24 hours. Microsoft wants to go this route it is their choice, I respect the innovation and vision, they are trying to push us into the future and predictable you see the masses cry about the change. If you dont like it, dont but it, but the experience on xbox 1 is going to be 2nd to none.

I'm not. I'm also stating why. Hopefully Microsoft will take the hint at some point. Let's not be afraid to take us into a future we would like.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts

You realize if for any reaason you're banned on Xbox live your games are done for right ? 

Joedgabe
Major Nelson said that you will not lose access to your games if you are banned from XBox Live...
GravityX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 GravityX

[QUOTE="GravityX"]People want innovation, but they don't want change. Xbox One is a connected console. You may not have a physical disk but you have the benefits of playing your game on any Xbox One when you're signed into it. Also you friends can "borrow" your games from your virtual library from anywhere in the country. Let's not be afraid to move the gaming industry forward.Mr720fan

Yeah that 24 hr check in blown out of proportion too. You have to sign into Steam, however the with Xbox One simply checks if your online. I thinks it's just a quick ping to the console. Any in my case my console is always connected via WiFi and i'm sure a lot of you have it set up like this as well, so I don't know what the big idea is.
GravityX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 GravityX
[QUOTE="Joedgabe"]

superclocked
Major Nelson said that you will not lose access to your games if you are banned from XBox Live...

Well, don't get banned.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 deactivated-5c79c3cfce222

[QUOTE="Joedgabe"]

superclocked

What about when they shut down 360 services like they shut down Live for the original Xbox?

Anyone who bought DLC on OG Xbox Live who can say if that's still accessible, allowed to be backed up or whatever?

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts
[QUOTE="superclocked"][QUOTE="Joedgabe"]

GravityX

Well, don't get banned.

I think that you should read that again...
xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 xhawk27

[QUOTE="superclocked"][QUOTE="Joedgabe"]

McStrongfast

What about when they shut down 360 services like they shut down Live for the original Xbox?

Anyone who bought DLC on OG Xbox Live who can say if that's still accessible, allowed to be backed up or whatever?

Or like PS2 games. 

GravityX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 GravityX
[QUOTE="GravityX"][QUOTE="superclocked"]Major Nelson said that you will not lose access to your games if you are banned from XBox Live...superclocked
Well, don't get banned.

Yeah, I think Major Nelson is mistaken, you will lose your games if you get banned.
xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 xhawk27

[QUOTE="superclocked"][QUOTE="GravityX"] Well, don't get banned.GravityX

Yeah, I think Major Nelson is mistaken, you will lose your games if you get banned.

Not the single player part of your games. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 deactivated-5c79c3cfce222

[QUOTE="Mr720fan"]

[QUOTE="GravityX"]People want innovation, but they don't want change. Xbox One is a connected console. You may not have a physical disk but you have the benefits of playing your game on any Xbox One when you're signed into it. Also you friends can "borrow" your games from your virtual library from anywhere in the country. Let's not be afraid to move the gaming industry forward.GravityX

Yeah that 24 hr check in blown out of proportion too. You have to sign into Steam, however the with Xbox One simply checks if your online. I thinks it's just a quick ping to the console. Any in my case my console is always connected via WiFi and i'm sure a lot of you have it set up like this as well, so I don't know what the big idea is.

For those of us for whom this wouldn't be a foreseeable obstacle to accessing our games, the idea is solidarity with those in less fortunate or different situations. The general notion of being unable to play your games where you want, is also not something you'd want to encourage. It's a restriction with no apparent benefit for the user.

argetlam00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 argetlam00
Member since 2006 • 6573 Posts

[QUOTE="GravityX"][QUOTE="superclocked"]I think that you should read that again...xhawk27

Yes, you do. If you get banned on Xbone you lose everything. The console turns into a brick.

GravityX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 GravityX

[QUOTE="GravityX"][QUOTE="superclocked"]I think that you should read that again...xhawk27

I wouldn't chance that, especially when the line between single player and multiplayer games are being blurred in the next generation.
xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 xhawk27

[QUOTE="xhawk27"]

[QUOTE="GravityX"] Yeah, I think Major Nelson is mistaken, you will lose your games if you get banned.argetlam00

Yes, you do. If you get banned on Xbone you lose everything. The console turns into a brick.

Stop with the BS and Lies. They can't do that it's illegal. 

GravityX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 GravityX

[QUOTE="GravityX"][QUOTE="Mr720fan"]

McStrongfast

For those of us for whom this wouldn't be a foreseeable obstacle to accessing our games, the idea is solidarity with those in less fortunate or different situations. The general notion of being unable to play your games where you want, is also not something you'd want to encourage. It's a restriction with no apparent benefit for the user.

The benefits are numerous, no scratched games, no broken games, no lost games, you have access to your games anywhere and your friends have access to your games. A lot of cool stuff. Now if you don't have internet or good internet, that not MS fault, it the infrastructure of a country or governments fault.
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 23031 Posts

reguardless of how anyone buys their game, two consoles allow you to freely trade purchased games at the owners discretiion, the same way it has been since the inception of the modern day video game... one console does not....

if Microsoft wants to put its emphasis on digital distribution they should've been absolute about it.  Actively pestering and hindering a consumer about a feature that has been standard for 30 years is not valid and it is being done out of greed and not out of protection or love of the consumer. 

I'd like to congratulate MS on attempting to build a console around the success of steam... I hope they have sales and offer all the benefits that go along with a pricing structure to that of steam.  That doesnt explain why choosing to play trade and borrow or even sell a disk sould be such a bitch slap.... gamers won't stand for that.

xsubtownerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#89 xsubtownerx
Member since 2007 • 10705 Posts

In Soviet XBox, game own you.

Shewgenja
lol... Simpsons reference!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 deactivated-5c79c3cfce222

[QUOTE="McStrongfast"]

[QUOTE="GravityX"] Yeah that 24 hr check in blown out of proportion too. You have to sign into Steam, however the with Xbox One simply checks if your online. I thinks it's just a quick ping to the console. Any in my case my console is always connected via WiFi and i'm sure a lot of you have it set up like this as well, so I don't know what the big idea is.GravityX

The benefits are numerous, no scratched games, no broken games, no lost games, you have access to your games anywhere and your friends have access to your games. A lot of cool stuff. Now if you don't have internet or good internet, that not MS fault, it the infrastructure of a country or governments fault.

You're describing benefits of digitally delivered games tied to an account, not the benefits of a 24 hour check-in, which if failed, prevents the user from playing any games, regardless if they're singleplayer and/or on a disc.

If Microsoft wants to say "f*** you people and your money" then that's Microsoft's prerogative.
"F*** Poland and Portugal for some reason".
"F*** the army too."

RoslindaleOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 RoslindaleOne
Member since 2006 • 7566 Posts
Nope not enough. It's underblown.
WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9619 Posts

People have already been supporting DRM by buying games digitally. So that means the PS3 and Xbox 360 already has had and been supporting full DRM. When you buy a game on the Ipad or other Smartphone guess what? You download it digitally so therefor there is no trading or selling the game you just bought. That is the case for every device that has digital downloads.

This whole thing is being way overblown! I can't believe people are actually trying to use that as a negative towards the Xbox One it's just stupid. If people were really that concerned about DRM why just now start complaining about it? It just makes no sense to bash the Xbox One for it.

whitetiger3521

no

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#93 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
Uhm a lot of people don't buy games online? I only buy indie games online. Who does it benefit?
WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9619 Posts

Uhm a lot of people don't buy games online? I only buy indie games online. Who does it benefit?The_Last_Ride

Same here

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 super600  Moderator

[QUOTE="super600"]

[QUOTE="call_of_duty_10"] No,he should talk. YOU are the one who shouldn't talk,shill!How much is M$ paying you anyway?FIipMode

i don't see how what's already announced isn't horrible enough. But have they actually said there is more details to come?

Major nelson will be answering people's questions before the console launches.They will also talk about the console more before it launches.

mayceV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#96 mayceV
Member since 2008 • 4633 Posts

[QUOTE="tdkmillsy"]The 24 hour check in is to allow you to install the game, not require the disk again and share with your friends. As soon as you can run without disk you need some form of protection. I for one agree the DRM is well over bashed and given the choice I'd take the DRM in its current state over needing disks and not being able to share with friends With them playing at same time as me (1 at a time plus me). menes777

I think they should combine the DRMs.  Have the 24 hour check if you don't have the disc in.  But if you have the disc than it doesn't need the online verification.  That fixes it for everyone.  Either you deal with discs or you have the internet.

This is almost a good idea, What they'll have to do though is stop your ability to share games when you're offline- Which isn't actually a problem. There DRM problem solved. Now throw in steam-esque sales and X1 would be day one for me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 deactivated-5c79c3cfce222

Obvious thing to do would be to make the installing process optional and make that the action which turns your discbased game into a digital one. Don't install and you can do whatever you want with the disc, give, trade, sell, lend, put on head etc, the disc is always in the tray and acts as verification. But since the license is not tied to your account you won't get any of the benefits associated with that.

That's being designed for flexibility, Major Nelson, you silly man.

The only potential downside would be if it has a negative impact on loading/streaming. I'd imagine not really, 6xblu-ray is up to 36mb per second and all consoles will have a hard drive for caching, or if it just goes straight to RAM now that there's a bit more of it. Average 2.5" HDD transfer rate seems to be 37.5mb per second. I'm not a very technical talking guy.

robybaggio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 robybaggio
Member since 2004 • 562 Posts
[QUOTE="nightshade869"]My biggest issue is you can't play your game offline....simple reason to not buy this console. That is not overblown for me personally, it is a valid reason to not want to spend hundreds when I can get another box that plays almost all the same games for less money with no online requirements. Not a difficult decision.superclocked
I agree 100%...

You have to check in every 24 hours if you want to post on System Wars. I know it sucks but that's the way it is.
Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

For me its purely the fact that the xbox one is so corporate focused and publisher focues that it is very unfriendly for the concumer by making us jump through hooops just to play our games. I paid for it, I shouldnt have to jump through any hoops or have to put up with any of it. So for me its about the total disregard for the customer.

After all the DRM scandal and all microsoft has to say is "deal with it" or they try and explain why all of their screwing of the customer is ok because they can rationalize it.

After that came to whole "The idea of ownership is morphing" where they explained why and told us why we wont really be owning our games and products. Essentially saying that its ok for us to share ownership of a product we buy with them.

I will not support a company that thinks and acts like that

robybaggio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 robybaggio
Member since 2004 • 562 Posts

For me its purely the fact that the xbox one is so corporate focused and publisher focues that it is very unfriendly for the concumer by making us jump through hooops just to play our games. I paid for it, I shouldnt have to jump through any hoops or have to put up with any of it. So for me its about the total disregard for the customer.

After all the DRM scandal and all microsoft has to say is "deal with it" or they try and explain why all of their screwing of the customer is ok because they can rationalize it.

After that came to whole "The idea of ownership is morphing" where they explained why and told us why we wont really be owning our games and products. Essentially saying that its ok for us to share ownership of a product we buy with them.

I will not support a company that thinks and acts like that

Gargus

tumblr_me1v8aZgvu1r5w7ofo1_500.gif

Â