The Official Wii U Thread: Nintendo Direct Incoming

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#401 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Eurogamer reviewed NSMBU and gave it a 9/10

Is the plumber's Wii U debut as good as his recent 3D outings? Not quite, but for the New Super Mario Bros. series, it's a real step forward in detailing, imagination and character. There's always been a keen Mario brain working away inside these 2D design exercises. Now, it feels like there's a proper soul to go along with it.

Zophar87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#402 Zophar87
Member since 2008 • 4344 Posts

[QUOTE="Zophar87"]

[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"] The concern is that usb 2.0 external harddrives aren't capable of streaming the large amounts of data needed for modern games. From my experience they aren't even capable for streaming the amount of data needed to properly run 8 year games. I recall farcry taking upwards of 20 minute to load and when I finally started playing the geometry failed to load properly. This is why I would have preferred a e-sata or at the very least, usb 3.0. MFDOOM1983

Except this is a console. Not a PC.

Because console games installed on a harddrive won't be streaming data in? Yeah, you keep running with that idea...

Tell me more about how you've played the console with an external HDD plugged into it.

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#403 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts

[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"][QUOTE="Zophar87"]

The fact that you all are arguing about something a small as USB 3.0 ports (in a damn console no less) completely blows my mind. Oh wait, this is SW.. nevermind. :roll:

GunSmith1_basic

The concern is that usb 2.0 external harddrives aren't capable of streaming the large amounts of data needed for modern games. From my experience they aren't even capable for streaming the amount of data needed to properly run 8 year games. I recall farcry taking upwards of 20 minute to load and when I finally started playing the geometry failed to load properly. This is why I would have preferred a e-sata or at the very least, usb 3.0.

that's a great point but isn't it possible that the wiiu's system will not run exactly like a PC? They obviously have tested this whole system out with downloadable titles and could of optimized this whole system to work better in this narrow context-- or am I off base there?

Like I said, I'm just basing this off of my experience with pc games and would love to be proven wrong. We'll, find out soon enough.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#404 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

NSMBU

Shared in good spirit :P

Zophar87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#405 Zophar87
Member since 2008 • 4344 Posts

[QUOTE="GunSmith1_basic"]

[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"] The concern is that usb 2.0 external harddrives aren't capable of streaming the large amounts of data needed for modern games. From my experience they aren't even capable for streaming the amount of data needed to properly run 8 year games. I recall farcry taking upwards of 20 minute to load and when I finally started playing the geometry failed to load properly. This is why I would have preferred a e-sata or at the very least, usb 3.0. MFDOOM1983

that's a great point but isn't it possible that the wiiu's system will not run exactly like a PC? They obviously have tested this whole system out with downloadable titles and could of optimized this whole system to work better in this narrow context-- or am I off base there?

Like I said, I'm just basing this off of my experience with pc games and would love to be proven wrong. We'll, find out soon enough.

I'm in the same boat as you, trust me. But I'm not going to saying regarding the console until it's at my home.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#406 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
CVG thinks Wii U will be Nintendo's riskiest console launch ever.
TilxWLOC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#407 TilxWLOC
Member since 2011 • 1164 Posts

So, what's all of this about 3 gigs?

Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#408 Yangire
Member since 2010 • 8795 Posts

Might import this along with MH3GHD for Christmas, I can probably scrape out 4-5 games in launch window to justify it. Is Nintendo Network connected across region lock or can I not add someone that has a NTSC console?

shearMario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#410 shearMario
Member since 2003 • 2134 Posts
Don't see how this is more risky than the Wii, the Wii was massively underpowered compared to the competition and used a complete new control system. Wii U at the moment will launch as the most powerful system and utilises pretty much a standard control system with a screen. The games can all be easily ported as well and don't need to be completely watered down like on Wii...
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#411 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

Don't see how this is more risky than the Wii, the Wii was massively underpowered compared to the competition and used a complete new control system. Wii U at the moment will launch as the most powerful system and utilises pretty much a standard control system with a screen. The games can all be easily ported as well and don't need to be completely watered down like on Wii...shearMario
But with the Wii even if it was risky Nintendo would still make profit from the start.

With the Wii U if it fails Nintendo loses a lot of money since they will be taking a loss on each system sold.

ocidax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#412 ocidax
Member since 2003 • 791 Posts

[QUOTE="shearMario"]Don't see how this is more risky than the Wii, the Wii was massively underpowered compared to the competition and used a complete new control system. Wii U at the moment will launch as the most powerful system and utilises pretty much a standard control system with a screen. The games can all be easily ported as well and don't need to be completely watered down like on Wii...Nintendo_Ownes7

But with the Wii even if it was risky Nintendo would still make profit from the start.

With the Wii U if it fails Nintendo loses a lot of money since they will be taking a loss on each system sold.

Nintendo knows the video games market better than anybody. They know what they are doing. That's why analyst are wrong with their predictions about Nintendo every time.

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#413 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts
"Without question, it has a few issues. This version of ME3 seems a lot less visually stable than, say, the Xbox 360 version -- the frame rate is choppier, the animation seems rougher. The audio suffers, too; while the music and sound effects have come over fine, all the dialogue has a hollow, echoing quality to it. The GamePad's analog sticks aren't as comfortable as the 360's, and the placement of the face buttons relative to the right stick made me continually miss the melee and reload buttons. My headshot ratio has dropped precipitously. It's tragic. Now, the Wii U Controller Pro rectifies some of these control issues -- it's pretty much a 360 controller, and it works great. But the problem there is that you lose the GamePad features if you use the Pro, and the GamePad is actually used pretty well here. By default, it serves as a quick skill-select menu or live map display (yes, just like a DS game), and the developers have added some neat details -- for instance, during the prologue sequence, the map display breaks up and distorts momentarily whenever a Reaver in the distance fires an energy blast. There was some actual thought put into this port, which is always nice to see. The real advantage to the GamePad, however, is the fact that the game looks much better on its smaller screen. I don't know if it's the flaws being obscured by the pad's screen when they're shown more clearly on the higher-performance LCD of an HDTV, or if it's simply a benefit of the pad's lower resolution requiring the system to render fewer polygons, but the game plays noticeably smoother on the GamePad screen. The stiffness of the characters doesn't come across as readily, and the compactness of the visuals makes the environments seem far more beautiful and detailed. Another trade-off: The Wii U version comes with all the collector's edition exclusive content on-disc already (though not high-end DLC like Leviathan), but much of the subtlety of the game is lost due to the lack of support for Mass Effect 1 and 2 save files. The game kicks off with a 20-minute digital comic that allows you to make key choices to shape the plot, just like the PlayStation 3 version of Mass Effect 2, but the most interesting moments in ME3 came as outcomes of smaller choices that aren't included in this prologue. So while you'll still shape the outcome of, say, Tali's major plot arc, you'll never know the pleasure of helping Conrad Verner find true happiness." http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9115515
SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#414 SuperFlakeman
Member since 2011 • 7411 Posts

CVG thinks Wii U will be Nintendo's riskiest console launch ever.charizard1605

I disagree with the article

Ben-Buja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#415 Ben-Buja
Member since 2011 • 2809 Posts

First time I'm not excited for a new Nintendo console at all.

padaporra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#416 padaporra
Member since 2005 • 3508 Posts

I don't get the idea behind the Wii U. It's a next gen console with this gen specs?

T3H_1337_N1NJ4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#417 T3H_1337_N1NJ4
Member since 2005 • 2225 Posts
ONM gave ZombiU 92/100. Let's see if the other reviews follow suit.
SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#418 SuperFlakeman

I don't get the idea behind the Wii U. It's a next gen console with this gen specs?

padaporra

No, it's a $300 console with a gamepad, being sold at a loss.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#419 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

[QUOTE="TilxWLOC"]

Slashkice

It's the amount of free space you'll have if you get the Basic set, if that's what you're talking about.

Did you watch the first 6 minutes of 3.0? If you didn't I suggest you don't, might have some excitement overload.

Tropicalshower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#420 Tropicalshower
Member since 2009 • 10813 Posts
Ordered a screen protector for the wiiu pad. Can't risk scratching that six inch screen. :P
GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#421 GD1551

ONM gave ZombiU 92/100. Let's see if the other reviews follow suit.T3H_1337_N1NJ4

Didn't they also give red steel a score close to that?

T3H_1337_N1NJ4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#422 T3H_1337_N1NJ4
Member since 2005 • 2225 Posts

[QUOTE="T3H_1337_N1NJ4"]ONM gave ZombiU 92/100. Let's see if the other reviews follow suit.GD1551

They did, 91%. It was six years ago but still. There's a reason I'm acting cautiously optimistic.

Although they gave NSMBU 86%...

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#423 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

[QUOTE="charizard1605"]CVG thinks Wii U will be Nintendo's riskiest console launch ever.SuperFlakeman

yeah, I don't think the guy who wrote the article really knows what the term "risky" means. The wii was a featureless console with whacky controllers. It was a massive risk to take and was a boom or bust product that boomed. The wiiU is a very safe approach. It is full of options and features to try and cover every base possible. That controller pro was the last straw that proved it. As if having all the control options of the wiimote-nunchuck as well as the gamepad weren't enough, they had to put a normal controller along with it. Couple that with all the online and media features in the wiiu, and it seems to be aiming at absolutely everyone. It won't bust but it won't boom either.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#424 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

[QUOTE="T3H_1337_N1NJ4"]ONM gave ZombiU 92/100. Let's see if the other reviews follow suit.T3H_1337_N1NJ4

They did, 91%. It was six years ago but still. There's a reason I'm acting cautiously optimistic.

Although they gave NSMBU 86%...

Yeah. One always has to be cautious with anything that goes like "official magazine". They are usually among the highest scores in Metacritic. :P

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#425 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts

Momiji is in NG3: Razor's Edge as well...

SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#426 SuperFlakeman

[QUOTE="SuperFlakeman"]

[QUOTE="charizard1605"]CVG thinks Wii U will be Nintendo's riskiest console launch ever.GunSmith1_basic

yeah, I don't think the guy who wrote the article really knows what the term "risky" means. The wii was a featureless console with whacky controllers. It was a massive risk to take and was a boom or bust product that boomed. The wiiU is a very safe approach. It is full of options and features to try and cover every base possible. That controller pro was the last straw that proved it. As if having all the control options of the wiimote-nunchuck as well as the gamepad weren't enough, they had to put a normal controller along with it. Couple that with all the online and media features in the wiiu, and it seems to be aiming at absolutely everyone. It won't bust but it won't boom either.

The reason why Wii was a high risk proposition was because its control scheme was unconventional, with a minimal increase in horsepower gen over gen. Nintendo stated a goal to expand the market before they even released it.

Its games lineup was half unconventional (Wii Sports etc.), that's why Nintendo made sure to have a mainline Zelda, Mario and Metroid title within the first year & also announced before the system launched, in order to reassure the Nintendo fan. Notice how we don't know anything about their big AAA franchises yet.

Everything about Wii was unproven. That made it risky: Nobody had sold a console without a significant horsepower leap before. Nobody had successfully sold a console without traditional control input as the main controller.

Wii U continues with the same kind of software as Wii, i.e. it is conventional. It consists of Wii-like casual/bridge games, core 1st party games and traditional 3rd party games. Mini game collections, fitness games, 2D Mario, etc. are proven sellers today. Wii Sports was not a proven potential seller at the time. Get it?

And GamePad is anything but unconventional, in fact touch interface is trendy and known to be highly appealing amongst consumers. A social component (Miiverse) was also given considering the age we live in.

Everything about Wii U is safe imo. The system, its features and the type of games announced are proven types.

Mario1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#427 Mario1331
Member since 2005 • 8929 Posts

honestly cant wait for this system. my first next gen console would be the wiiu.

ofc the ports wont be as smooth as the ones aimed for current gen consoles.....its a port not even created by bioware

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#429 AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

[QUOTE="T3H_1337_N1NJ4"]ONM gave ZombiU 92/100. Let's see if the other reviews follow suit.GD1551

Now that I think about it... wasn't Red Steel barely shown more in depth than ZombiU has been? I thought it was pretty much just random trailers with barely any gameplay.

I could be off though, overhyping tends to be Ubi's strong suit at times.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#430 GD1551

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

Did you watch the first 6 minutes of 3.0? If you didn't I suggest you don't, might have some excitement overload.

Slashkice

Yeah, I couldn't resist. Sure, I'll drive myself insane waiting for the blu-ray, but man, those 6:38 were worth it.

Indeed man, indeed.

TilxWLOC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#431 TilxWLOC

[QUOTE="Slashkice"]

[QUOTE="TilxWLOC"]

GD1551

It's the amount of free space you'll have if you get the Basic set, if that's what you're talking about.

I have no idea what on Earth you just typed GD, but that was sort of what I am talking about. Why is it 3 gigs is more the question though.

Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#432 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

[QUOTE="Slashkice"]

TilxWLOC

I have no idea what on Earth you just typed GD, but that was sort of what I am talking about. Why is it 3 gigs is more the question though.

They are talking about one of the best animations ever. Neon Genesis Evangelion.
TilxWLOC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#433 TilxWLOC

[QUOTE="TilxWLOC"]

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

Giancar

They are talking about one of the best animations ever. Neon Genesis Evangelion.

If it tells me about the 3 gigs thing, could you direct me to it? I'm pretty sure that is an anime though.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#434 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

[QUOTE="GunSmith1_basic"]

SuperFlakeman

The reason why Wii was a high risk proposition was because its control scheme was unconventional, with a minimal increase in horsepower gen over gen. Nintendo stated a goal to expand the market before they even released it.

Its games lineup was half unconventional (Wii Sports etc.), that's why Nintendo made sure to have a mainline Zelda, Mario and Metroid title within the first year & also announced before the system launched, in order to reassure the Nintendo fan. Notice how we don't know anything about their big AAA franchises yet.

Everything about Wii was unproven. That made it risky: Nobody had sold a console without a significant horsepower leap before. Nobody had successfully sold a console without traditional control input as the main controller.

Wii U continues with the same kind of software as Wii, i.e. it is conventional. It consists of Wii-like casual/bridge games, core 1st party games and traditional 3rd party games. Mini game collections, fitness games, 2D Mario, etc. are proven sellers today. Wii Sports was not a proven potential seller at the time. Get it?

And GamePad is anything but unconventional, in fact touch interface is trendy and known to be highly appealing amongst consumers. A social component (Miiverse) was also given considering the age we live in.

Everything about Wii U is safe imo. The system, its features and the type of games announced are proven types.

do i get it? Yeah, you basically just repeated what I said :D. As for the gamepad controller, it is not exactly new and unproven. We've had a similar setup on Nintendo handhelds for over a gen. There will be some unique applications and it isn't exactly equivalent, but it's still firmly based in tried and tested tech. It's definitely not as new as the wii's controller setup was, and nintendo forced devs to adapt to that new and crazy setup.

As for Nintendo's big franchises, the wiiU has NSMBU. That series is bigger than 3D mario and Zelda combined. Mariokart is even bigger than that, and that would be the game I would expect to see right away considering it sold about 30 million units on the wii. The wiiu launch is much more aggresive than the wii's and it covers a much wider variety of games.

The wii's unimpressive tech was riskier than the wiiu because it launched a year after the 360 did. The wiiu has inferior tech but it is launching a year early, again to safely protect it in the case that gamers see the better visuals on the competition and go running. The wii was jumping straight into that fire, many expected gamers to turn away, and yet it was a success. Ballsy little console for sure.

Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#435 Yangire

Wii U stream is up right now folks.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#436 AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

Yangire

Off your post, but that sig really makes me wish Capcom would make another Megaman already!

Mostly something similar to Battle Network pls. Oh and not that Starforce crap. A platformer action one like X would be good but I think I'm burnt out on platformers for now.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#437 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

[QUOTE="Slashkice"]

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

GD1551

Yeah, I couldn't resist. Sure, I'll drive myself insane waiting for the blu-ray, but man, those 6:38 were worth it.

Indeed man, indeed.

We're talking about eva 3.0 now? This thread just got infinitely cooler. After what happened in the second I don't know where they are going or how they're going to top what they already did.

Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#438 Yangire

Another, better stream by Gametrailers is live.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#439 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Nintendo delays the launch of all video services on Wii U to past the day one update. All other functionality will still be available via the day one update.
khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#440 khoofia_pika
Member since 2006 • 16761 Posts
[QUOTE="charizard1605"]Nintendo delays the launch of all video services on Wii U to past the day one update. All other functionality will still be available via the day one update.

Well, at least the Wii just got a free YT app :P
gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#441 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

Another, better stream by Gametrailers is live.

Yangire

How long is going to be?

I'm going to watch and see if it changes my opinion on the console.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#442 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

holy hell is this boring, Show the damn Games already.

Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#443 Yangire

Nintendo Land is being played now.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#445 ReadingRainbow4

all this is making me want is a new metroid game.

TilxWLOC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#446 TilxWLOC

[QUOTE="Yangire"]

AznbkdX

Off your post, but that sig really makes me wish Capcom would make another Megaman already!

Mostly something similar to Battle Network pls. Oh and not that Starforce crap. A platformer action one like X would be good but I think I'm burnt out on platformers for now.

Yeah, Battle Network is cool as heck.

Stream quality is kind of crap (or its my computer) and the audience is a bit annoying.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#447 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
When are the GS reviews coming? Not even Mario has been reviewed yet, dafuq?
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#448 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

When are the GS reviews coming? Not even Mario has been reviewed yet, dafuq?SaltyMeatballs
Apparantly they wouldn't be up until Sunday.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#449 ReadingRainbow4

I feel nintendo land should be bundled at launch and there after, much like wii sports was.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#450 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
Man I want one, but price is a bit too high for it right now.