The Official Wii U Thread: Nintendo Direct Incoming

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#301 Posted by RyanShazam (6498 posts) -

[QUOTE="PhazonBlazer"]

New Super Mario Bros U gets a 9.1 from IGN

Nintendo Land gets a 8.7 from IGN

charizard1605

That is an extremely impressive score for Mario, although it is IGN, so I will take it with a grain of salt.

According to the review, its wat New Super Mario should have been this entire time. I also a little shocked at the NintendoLand score.

#302 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11984 posts) -

Now hopefully ZombiU will be the next game to get a high score.

#303 Posted by xOMGITSJASONx (2634 posts) -

Aww man I won't have NSMB2 but have Nintendoland via the Deluxe. I have Zombie U and CODBLOPS2 too so I am good next week. Hopefully I can snag the Mario game during a Black Friday sale (hopefully). Great scores on both BTW.

#304 Posted by SuperFlakeman (7411 posts) -

IGN reviews for Nintendo Land and NSMBU are in.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/15/new-super-mario-bros-u-review

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/15/nintendo-land-review

David719

Those are the ones I'm looking at.

lol at the negative point on nintendoland "grandma might not understand" she's trolling "hardcore" gamers

#305 Posted by gettingpatches (218 posts) -

The first few Screenhots of Mighty Switch force: Hyperdrive addition have been released as well as some extra info on it in an interview between Wayforward and Polygon

http://www.polygon.com/2012/11/15/3645924/mighty-switch-force-inside-wayforwards-under-the-radar-wii-u-launch

#306 Posted by xOMGITSJASONx (2634 posts) -

Now hopefully ZombiU will be the next game to get a high score.

PhazonBlazer

I have it pre-ordered (Zombie U) and was the initial reason I pre-ordered the Wii-U, that and the fact Bayonetta being exclusive. Zombie U will get a good score on GS since they love difficult games ala Demon's Souls and Dark Souls.

#307 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22533 posts) -
[QUOTE="PhazonBlazer"]

charizard1605
That is an extremely impressive score for Mario, although it is IGN, so I will take it with a grain of salt.

game explain also seems to really dig it. Still see it getting 7.5'd here though.
#308 Posted by yokofox33 (30183 posts) -

I'm thinking 8.5 for Mario on GS, and a 7.5 (maybe 8) for Nintendo Land.

Still, I'm incredibly excited for the WiiU and to start playing these games on Sunday.

#309 Posted by Animal-Mother (27088 posts) -

Joystiq released there scores

NSMB-U gets a 4.5/5 stars calling it a return to form

Nintendo Land gets 4/5 stars

#310 Posted by charizard1605 (60172 posts) -

NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. U JOYSTIQ REVIEW (9/10)

New Super Mario Bros. promised to return Mario and friends to their 2D roots. While the series has produced three solid platformers thus far, it's never really recaptured the old spark. The unbridled chaos of cooperative play in New Super Mario Bros. Wii is certainly fun, and romping around as a giant is novel, but nothing has compared with donning the cape for the first time, or being swallowed up by a hidden keyhole. With a few exceptions, the series has been, in a word, rote.

In this latest entry, however, that's all changed. In New Super Mario Bros. U, Mario comes closer to his glory days than he has in years.

The New Super Mario Bros. series may have taken the beloved Nintendo franchise back to its 2D roots, but New Super Mario Bros. U reintroduces what made the original games so good in the first place. It proves that there's more to the formula than just impeccable platforming. There's a sense of wonder again, of exploration and discovery. I'm not quite prepared to say New Super Mario Bros. U fully recaptures the spark of Mario's 2D heyday, but it's an impressive step in the right direction.

NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. U SHACKNEWS REVIEW (RATED: A MUST HAVE)

It's easy to dismiss New Super Mario Bros U as "just another" Mario game, especially as it comes hot off the heels of another mainline game--NSMB2, which launched on 3DS this past summer. However, unlike its handheld predecessor, the Wii U version of the game doesn't just regurgitate the same Mario ideas. It constantly surprises with excellent level designs, fantastic boss battles, and exhilarating multiplayer modes. Simply put, this is the best game in the New Super Mario franchise to date.

What makes Mario U so successful is how it carefully balances nostalgia with new ideas. For longtime Mario fans, Mario U will be an exciting trip down memory lane. Why? Because Mario U acts as a sequel to Mario 3 and Super Mario World--two of the most iconic entries in the long-running franchise.

NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. U ARS TECHNICA REVIEW (RATED: BUY IT)

It's kind of a shame Super Mario World never got a proper sequel. After Nintendo successfully expanded and opened up the Mario formula with Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World refined its predecessor's concepts to create a 2D platform game that truly showed off the new Super NES, and it still stands as the peak of traditional 2D Mario titles. Yoshi's Island brought its own wonderful twist to that formula, but it wasn't really Super Mario World 2 no matter what the subtitle said.

By the time Nintendo finally got back to 2D Mario games with the New Super Mario Bros. series, that Mario World magic seemed lost to the ages. The first New SMB title on the Nintendo DS was too straightforward and too short, and the recent 3DS sequel had an off-putting focus on coin collecting. New Super Mario Bros. Wii provided its share of imaginative fun, but it was a bit too focused on the new gimmick of playing co-operative multiplayer.

So I was pleasantly surprised to find that New Super Mario Bros. U, the first real Mario title to launch with a home console since the Nintendo 64, is the best two-dimensional Mario title in decades, and the first since Super Mario World to really capture the appeal of the 8- and 16-bit classics that came before it.

NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. U DESTRUCTOID REVIEW (RATED: 8.5/10)

New Super Mario Bros. 2 was a good game, but I couldn't help feeling disappointed with it. The first New Super Mario Bros. felt like a breath of fresh air, a welcome return to the past in an age where such simplicity had been forgotten. The right bit of nostalgia at the right time can feel incredibly new.

The sequel was not that. Already following New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Super Mario 3D Land, it didn't feel old-school as much as it felt plain old. Still good, but wholly unambitious.

With the advent of New Super Mario Bros. U, I now know why it lacked adventure and inspiration. Nintendo had clearly already spent itself working on this little bit of greatness.

NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. U 1UP REVIEW (RATED: B+)

After witnessing New Super Mario Bros. 2 and how it slowly approached the brink of self-parody, I couldn't help but lower my expectations for New Super Mario Bros U. In hindsight, this was a mistake. Until you compare each entry of this Mario series against the other, one truth tends to be hidden in plain sight: The portable New Super Mario installments often take on much less risk than their console siblings, perhaps due to the limitations of the mobile platform they're designed for. With that in mind, it's easy to see why the original DS game felt so easy or how the 3DS sequel could't fix things by literally throwing money at the problem. By comparison, the Wii and Wii U entires show a maturation of platforming ideas that place safe bets on what works yet also develops other ideas along the way. NSMBU doesn't re-write the rules of platforming games, but it carefully balances enough of what works with a handful of new ideas that come together in the end.

#311 Posted by Animal-Mother (27088 posts) -

Still, I'm incredibly excited for the WiiU and to start playing these games on Sunday.

yokofox33
Are any stores doing midnight releases?
#312 Posted by Tropicalshower (10813 posts) -
Any zombiu reviews?
#313 Posted by charizard1605 (60172 posts) -
Any zombiu reviews? Tropicalshower
Embargo for those lifts on November 18
#314 Posted by Zophar87 (4351 posts) -

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="PhazonBlazer"]

PhazonBlazer

To be honest I'm more impressed at Nintendo Land's score. I'll have to try it out when I get a Wii U.

This is kind of what I thought. Hmm.. Maybe it won't be collecting dust like Wii Sports.

#315 Posted by ocidax (768 posts) -

PhazonBlazer
A lot better than is expected. Good job Ninty
#316 Posted by Wanderer5 (25726 posts) -

Good that NSMB U and Nintendo Land are doing well so far. Don't know when I will get the Wii U but my nintendo fanboy side will make me get one eventually.:P

#317 Posted by guard12 (1657 posts) -

[QUOTE="yokofox33"]

Animal-Mother

Are any stores doing midnight releases?

None by me are doing it. i have heard some in other areas are though. You just have to call and ask

#318 Posted by RyanShazam (6498 posts) -

New Zombie U Trailer

Looks really good lol

#319 Posted by NoirLamia777 (2266 posts) -

The reviews were nice, really wanna see Zombie U though.

#320 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (15839 posts) -

surprised to see nintendo land getting good scores, it looked awful.

#321 Posted by layton2012 (3489 posts) -

ReadingRainbow4
Yeah it was getting horrible reception when it was announced at E3 now I will definitely be wetting even if I end up with a basic model. Glad to hear it is a high quality game that is showing what the Wii U can do.
#322 Posted by Tropicalshower (10813 posts) -
[QUOTE="Tropicalshower"]Any zombiu reviews? charizard1605
Embargo for those lifts on November 18

Bummer, I'm all about the zombies. :P
#323 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (15839 posts) -

[QUOTE="ReadingRainbow4"]

layton2012

Yeah it was getting horrible reception when it was announced at E3 now I will definitely be wetting even if I end up with a basic model. Glad to hear it is a high quality game that is showing what the Wii U can do.

Yeah, I don't think I'll ever pick it up unless it comes bundled, just not my style of game. The only way I could see myself playing it is sh*tfaced

#324 Posted by xhawk27 (7455 posts) -

One thing about the Wii-U no GTA V next year. That sucks.

#325 Posted by layton2012 (3489 posts) -

[QUOTE="layton2012"][QUOTE="ReadingRainbow4"]

ReadingRainbow4

Yeah, I don't think I'll ever pick it up unless it comes bundled, just not my style of game. The only way I could see myself playing it is sh*tfaced

I know It's not everyone's genre, but since I always have big family gathering around Xmas it should be fun to play with family, but I'm hoping ill enjoy it solo as well. I think it will be coming with all models come holiday 2013.
#326 Posted by layton2012 (3489 posts) -

xhawk27
No platforms have been announced yet, so there is hope.
#327 Posted by xhawk27 (7455 posts) -

[QUOTE="xhawk27"]

layton2012

Yeah Rockstar has said 360 and PS3.

#328 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (15839 posts) -

They haven't announced it for PC yet either and we all know they will after a few months on release.

They just want to catch those initial console sales.

#329 Posted by layton2012 (3489 posts) -

[QUOTE="layton2012"][QUOTE="xhawk27"]

xhawk27

I hadn't heard, that makes me sad :( ill be playing it regardless.
#330 Posted by moistsandwich (0 posts) -

[QUOTE="layton2012"][QUOTE="xhawk27"]

xhawk27

So... no PC version?

#331 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22533 posts) -

Chances are Nintendo is gonna have to make a deal with Rockstar themselves if they want GTA V on their console. There's alot of bad blood between the two companies.

#332 Posted by xhawk27 (7455 posts) -

[QUOTE="xhawk27"]

[QUOTE="layton2012"] No platforms have been announced yet, so there is hope.moistsandwich

So... no PC version?

If the pattern is like the other GTA games maybe a PC port in six months or so after the consoles released. It'll be cool if they made a Wii-U port too but I doubt it.

#333 Posted by layton2012 (3489 posts) -

[QUOTE="moistsandwich"]

[QUOTE="xhawk27"]

xhawk27

So... no PC version?

If the pattern is like the other GTA games maybe a PC port in six months or so after the consoles released. It'll be cool if they made a Wii-U port too but I doubt it.

I'd be shocked if there isn't a PC version, and I'd be even more shocked if there is a Wii U version.
#334 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (18257 posts) -
Looking at NG3 I remember there was a time Nintendo did not allow violent bloody games on their console. Mortal Kombat was censored. The writing was on the wall and MKII was released intact.
#335 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (18257 posts) -
[QUOTE="PhazonBlazer"]

ocidax
A lot better than is expected. Good job Ninty

After what NSMB2 got on the 3DS I'm not holding my breathe for what GS is going to give NSMBU.
#336 Posted by xOMGITSJASONx (2634 posts) -

xhawk27

No worries I have a PC, PS3 & Xbox 360 so I am good.

#337 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (18257 posts) -
IGN on NSMBU: "Youll never run out of lives." SMH....remember when these games used to be challenging?
#338 Posted by nintendoboy16 (27664 posts) -
6-7.5's for NSMBU and Nintendo Land here.
#339 Posted by VendettaRed07 (14012 posts) -

IGN on NSMBU: "Youll never run out of lives." SMH....remember when these games used to be challenging?Bread_or_Decide

Number of lives =/= Challenge

And no, I don't remember when mario was ever challenging other than the Lost Levels. And you never run out of lives in that one either it has infinite continues.

#340 Posted by layton2012 (3489 posts) -
6-7.5's for NSMBU and Nintendo Land here.nintendoboy16
Nah, I think NSMBU will get 8.5d
#341 Posted by T3H_1337_N1NJ4 (2124 posts) -

IGN on NSMBU: "Youll never run out of lives." SMH....remember when these games used to be challenging?Bread_or_Decide
You know, I was going to bother to show you that you are just decontextualizing that sentence (even though you already know it). But then I thought, eh, it's just this idiot.

#342 Posted by NirdBerd (2116 posts) -

I'm gonna get it at the end of December, I shouldn't really get it right now when I have lots of games to catch up on and if I get a Wii U I'll just end up neglecting everything else I have :P

#343 Posted by nintendoboy16 (27664 posts) -

Chances are Nintendo is gonna have to make a deal with Rockstar themselves if they want GTA V on their console. There's alot of bad blood between the two companies.

Shinobishyguy

Well, Rockstar may throw something out, just won't be a console GTA (see Table Tennis, Bully, Manhunt 2, Smuggler's Run, and the handheld GTA: Chinatown Wars).

But that being said, the bad blood is mainly between Nintendo and Rockstar North (formerly DMADesign) after what happened in the N64 era with Body Harvest.

#344 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22533 posts) -

lives =/= level of challenge.

Going by that logic SMB3 and mario world were cake walks

#345 Posted by VendettaRed07 (14012 posts) -

Rich is generally a very good reviewer.. Other than his Skyward Sword review which I just thought was completely ridiculous. While I think he is a better reviewer than most at Ign, he can overlook too many mistakes sometimes. Or at least, he notices them but for some odd reason it doesn't reflect it in the score

Listening to his video review sounded more like an 8 than a 9.1. And so did Skyward Sword the first podcast after it released I mean it was hilarious all of the problems he brought up which was nowhere to be found in the review which didn't make any sense to me.

But then again, everyone is entitled to a mistake we are all just people, but Im gonna hold my breathe before getting to hyped about this one. Because he is generally a pretty good reviewer. but oh well.

#346 Posted by VendettaRed07 (14012 posts) -

[QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"]IGN on NSMBU: "Youll never run out of lives." SMH....remember when these games used to be challenging?Shinobishyguy

lives =/= level of challenge.

Going by that logic SMB3 and mario world were cake walks

But they kind of were lol. Two of my favorite games but I really didn't find them hard at any point. Maybe its just me

But Ill tell you it was SMG that was a realcake walk.....

mario-cake.jpg

:P

#347 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22533 posts) -

Rich is generally a very good reviewer.. Other than his Skyward Sword review which I just thought was completely ridiculous. While I think he is a better reviewer than most at Ign, he can overlook too many mistakes sometimes. Or at least, he notices them but for some odd reason it doesn't reflect it in the score

Listening to his video review sounded more like an 8 than a 9.1. And so did Skyward Sword the first podcast after it released I mean it was hilarious all of the problems he brought up which was nowhere to be found in the review which didn't make any sense to me.

But then again, everyone is entitled to a mistake we are all just people, but Im gonna hold my breathe before getting to hyped about this one. Because he is generally a pretty good reviewer. but oh well.

VendettaRed07
well maybe it was because I was young when I was playing them, but they seemed pretty tough. SMB3 had a huge spike in difficulty as soon as you reached world 7
#348 Posted by themajormayor (24077 posts) -
2 flops so far
#349 Posted by psymon100 (6835 posts) -

2 flops so farthemajormayor

mentally_handicapped_arguing_on_the_inte

mentally_handicapped_arguing_on_the_inte

2s7HO.gif

#350 Posted by Samus3D (1788 posts) -

[QUOTE="Meeeper282"]

[QUOTE="Zophar87"]

How do you not own at least one of those yet? o.o

Zophar87

Had a ps3 back in 09, and 360 back in 07, but i sold them both because i hardly used them

Silly!

I don't have either too... I'm a Nintendo only gamer pretty much