The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Hype Thread (HYPE: AAAAE) (HYPE MET!!!!) (97 on Metacritic)

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#3452 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@zassimick: Since I may be one of two people I know who enjoyed the story and the ending, I wanted to ask you- what did you think?

Also, did you get the Castle Memory and Memory 17?

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#3453 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

@charizard1605: Wouldn't have beaten the game without those two memories! They were a pain to find though (in a good way.)

And I loved the story and the ending. Nintendo told it perfectly; it never got in the way and if you were one that loved it you would search out those memories.

My guess is that many people who weren't happy with the story or the ending just wanted more. More to the ending. More time with the characters. And I'll say I would not be upset with more, but it was just so nicely done this way. I wasn't sitting there like I do in Uncharted watching a cutscene and waiting for to finish, or going through lines and lines of dialogue in Skyrim just to leave. It was the right amount.

R10nu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3454 R10nu
Member since 2006 • 1679 Posts

@zassimick said:

My guess is that many people who weren't happy with the story or the ending just wanted more. More to the ending.

Definitely this.

I'm not even talking about the length of the cutscenes, but about more complexity to the ending.

I thought it was a disservise to how otherwise competently complex the rest of the story was.

Like i fully expected for Zelda to be fucking old when you get to her, but then after Ganon is done you'd revert her age with Purah's tech and everyone's happy and shit.

BotW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3455  Edited By BotW
Member since 2017 • 22 Posts

I'd definitely call it a flawed masterpiece, it's an amazing game and a huge time sink but there's definitely some things I would have done differently if I were at the helm of development.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3456  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@zassimick said:

@charizard1605: Wouldn't have beaten the game without those two memories! They were a pain to find though (in a good way.)

And I loved the story and the ending. Nintendo told it perfectly; it never got in the way and if you were one that loved it you would search out those memories.

My guess is that many people who weren't happy with the story or the ending just wanted more. More to the ending. More time with the characters. And I'll say I would not be upset with more, but it was just so nicely done this way. I wasn't sitting there like I do in Uncharted watching a cutscene and waiting for to finish, or going through lines and lines of dialogue in Skyrim just to leave. It was the right amount.

Personally I agree. I was also disappointed that there is no post game Hyrule to explore- but of course, how would a post game Hyrule even work? The towers and shrines now serve no purpose, and there would be no monsters to begin with. So I was super happy with this- also, in the end, I imagine there was no other way to actually tell a story while also affording a player full freedom in the world and have the story actually make sense.

Memory 17 is my absolute favorite, Zelda is such a fucking badass, holy shit

@R10nu said:
@zassimick said:

My guess is that many people who weren't happy with the story or the ending just wanted more. More to the ending.

Definitely this.

I'm not even talking about the length of the cutscenes, but about more complexity to the ending.

I thought it was a disservise to how otherwise competently complex the rest of the story was.

Like i fully expected for Zelda to be fucking old when you get to her, but then after Ganon is done you'd revert her age with Purah's tech and everyone's happy and shit.

I actually expected this too (well, I expected Zelda to be old and for her to die), but I suppose, a similar plot point (Zelda being in cryostasis as she holds an evil at bay for an extended period of time) had been in Skyward Sword, so it didn't surprise me. Plus, I just love this Zelda, she was my favorite character in the game, and is one of my favorite characters in the series- I'd have been sad if what you and I said had happened. So I was definitely happy with how things wrapped up though.

Now the credits music, that did piss me off.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3457 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

This is super cool

(map spoilers)

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#3458 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

@charizard1605 said:
@R10nu said:
@zassimick said:

Definitely this.

I actually expected this too (well, I expected Zelda to be old and for her to die), but I suppose, a similar plot point (Zelda being in cryostasis as she holds an evil at bay for an extended period of time) had been in Skyward Sword, so it didn't surprise me. Plus, I just love this Zelda, she was my favorite character in the game, and is one of my favorite characters in the series- I'd have been sad if what you and I said had happened. So I was definitely happy with how things wrapped up though.

Now the credits music, that did piss me off.

literally nothing happens...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3459 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@aigis: In the credits? Yeah...

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3460 aigis

@charizard1605: really in the story as a whole, but the end especially

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3461  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@aigis said:

This is why you are a #hater

BotW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3462  Edited By BotW
Member since 2017 • 22 Posts

@charizard1605 said:
@aigis said:

This is why you are a #hater

I'll give him that, it's a great game with A LOT of really engaging gameplay, but the story is very, very short and simple when you really break down how much of it there actually is.

If you could go into this game with full stamina and heart containers you could honestly beat the main quests of the game including the 'dugeons' in 5-6 hours. There's not a lot of meat on the bones of this games story, there's just so much in between that it presents itself as more than it actually is.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3463 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

A user name BotW is posting in a BotW official thread. Original.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3464  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts
@silversix_ said:

A user name BotW is posting in a BotW official thread. Original.

it's one of your cow brothers or an xbox guy' alt so he wont feel ashamed to play nintendo.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3465  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

This is super cool

(map spoilers)

this might be legit

trollhunter2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3466  Edited By trollhunter2
Member since 2012 • 2054 Posts

How do you guys feel about the fact that we have an actual Loli character in the Game?

I know there is midna, but I never would've thought that Nintendo would create such a character in a Zelda game again

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3467 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

* The game as a whole was excellent. I sunk over 70 hrs into this thing (cant remember the last time i did that).

* My only gripes:

The weapon damage is ass! There's no F*ing way that ALL the got damn wepaons should be breakable. At least make "CERTAIN" weapons you get from "CERTAIN" people unbreakable. This literally took me out of the experience a few times.. as i had to avoid encounters.

* I would've preferred the horse companion system to be more accessible.

* The ending (I guess i got the "bad one" the first time).. was DooDoo!

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3468 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

I'm not finished with the game yet (finished 2 guardians and about half of the shrines), and I have to say that while the world itself is expertly crafted, I'm pretty disappointed with the dungeons and the bosses. I like that the bosses aren't simple pattern recognition like they are in most 3D Zelda games, but I don't like that the 2 I've faced don't feel all that different. It's also weird to me that you just go the the place marked on the map, talk to somebody, and then go straight to the dungeon. I would prefer actually having to go out and find the dungeon. Some of the shrines are very well put together, and some of the quests to find shrines feel like the old games where you are trying to find the dungeon entrance, but they are so miniaturized that it just isn't the same.

I'm just not sure how to feel about this game. Overall it is great, but it just feels like it could have been a whole lot better.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3469 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

@PurpleMan5000:

I'm sorry you find elements of the game disappointing. :/

I'm loving the game. Recognizing that it's different to previous Zelda titles and just taking it for what it is, I'm loving the game. I actually prefer it to the majority of 3D Zelda games.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#3470 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

This is super cool

(map spoilers)

I find it interesting, but also a stretch.

If you look through most Maps of Hyrule they have a similar layout.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3471 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@jumpaction said:

@PurpleMan5000:

I'm sorry you find elements of the game disappointing. :/

I'm loving the game. Recognizing that it's different to previous Zelda titles and just taking it for what it is, I'm loving the game. I actually prefer it to the majority of 3D Zelda games.

I'm really enjoying it for the most part, too. My gripes aren't limited to it being different to previous Zelda games, fwiw. It just doesn't seem like it would have been all that difficult to add a little bit of variety to the bosses. The Hinox, Lynel, and Talus feel like bosses that you stumble upon, but they really aren't, and they are better bosses than the bosses the game has. There are also a bunch of combat shrines that are identical to each other. How hard would it have been to create some diversity there? Maybe have monsters built out of guardian parts or something?

I'm just sort of questioning how replayable the game is going to be for me. The first run has been breathtaking, more than any Zelda game has been to me since Ocarina of Time. I'm not sure if this is going to be one that I want to come back to, though.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3472  Edited By Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15569 Posts
@charizard1605 said:

This is super cool

(map spoilers)

Eh, Kakariko is on the complete wrong side of the map, huge chunks of the landscape aren't in LttP, and there's a ton of other stuff inside the map that isn't there in LttP, like hateno village, several mountains, and specific areas like the hyrule outposts or castle town ruins.

This is a huge stretch at best, and by the same metric you could probably say any zelda is any other zelda with an upside down map, or flipped map, etc.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#3473  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

So has anyone beaten the trials in master mode yet? I'm a little surprised how much harder master mode is in the beginning. It does give the game a different vibe.

Do you feel master mode changed enough for it to be DLC instead of a menu option? They did place new enemies throughout the world, not just change some variables like hard modes in other games.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3474  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17658 Posts

Necro-threado.

Yea, Master Mode's a beast especially early on. Hell I'm dozens of hours in and still struggle to take on groups of Boboklins.

Two things I don't like about MM:

-horse combat is rendered ineffective due to regenerating enemy health; by the time you come around for another pass they'll be halfway healed, and that's if you can even keep track of which one to stay focused on in the first place. I really enjoyed mounted combat my first play through but here it's largely pointless, and it's a bummer.

-weapon durability also becomes more of an issue. It's simply not economical to fight enemies when you have to oftentimes expend 3-4 weapons per (due again to regenerating health) when they end up dropping one garbage weapon that will break only after a few hits.

There's an obvious discord between the stronger enemies, the regeneration mechanic, and weapon allocation/durability. It's workable, but you can tell the game was not designed around such difficulty. As for whether it's worth it? I think so.....it's definitely a challenge and (to excuse the pun) breathes new life into an already amazing game and the additional content is welcome.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3475 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
Member since 2017 • 2335 Posts

@MirkoS77:

The issue with this mode for myself is that I've already put WAY too much time into this game to even bother with it.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3476 aigis

who done knackro this?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3477  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@MirkoS77: I agree and disagree. I think the game emphasizes survival elements in Master Mode, and by not upping durability, challenges you to find alternate ways to take on enemies rather than brute force combat.

That said, if you were to focus on only combat in Master Mode, yeah, you'd be out of weapons soon enough.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3478 KungfuKitten

@aigis said:

who done knackro this?

I did because I got salty that people were still posting in the inferior Persona 5 thread.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3479 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@aigis said:

knackro

Heh

KMP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3480 KMP
Member since 2017 • 380 Posts

Doing Gerudo quest line. Actually really good compared to how dull, dare I say bad, the Zora and Rito quest lines were.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3481  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17658 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@MirkoS77: I agree and disagree. I think the game emphasizes survival elements in Master Mode, and by not upping durability, challenges you to find alternate ways to take on enemies rather than brute force combat.

That said, if you were to focus on only combat in Master Mode, yeah, you'd be out of weapons soon enough.

Yea, but options to use the physics against enemies are limited and they are now so strong and plentiful (usually coming in groups) that it always eventually necessitates brute force. Plus, mounted combat is still useless which suuuuuuuucks. One of my favorite parts of the game I can't do anymore.

@heirren: well you might want to try it with the new mode, it somewhat feels like a new game. You definitely need to re-evaluate your approach.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3482  Edited By aigis

@KungfuKitten said:
@aigis said:

who done knackro this?

I did because I got salty that people were still posting in the inferior Persona 5 thread.

no need to be salty, join us. The P5 hype thread will never die

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3483  Edited By KungfuKitten
@aigis said:
@KungfuKitten said:
@aigis said:

who done knackro this?

no need to be salty, join us. The P5 hype thread will never die

I like that menu I mean game a lot, but come on!

It is never going to get GOTY... Slime Rancher is going to get GOTY. August 1st, baby. Too cute to fail!