The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Hype Thread (HYPE: AAAAE) (HYPE MET!!!!) (97 on Metacritic)

King_Dodongo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#3401 King_Dodongo
Member since 2006 • 3759 Posts

@patrickres9 said:

70 hours in...its not only GOTY for me thus far easily, it's one of the best games I've ever played.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3402 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18254 Posts

Been sick all week with lot of work...haven't been able to play that much this week (around 2 hours since sunday...tops), feels bad man, specially since i was around 50% in story progression...i already got 2 beasts and was making progress towards getting the Master Sword and the Hylian Shield, not to mention i still need to explore a few last dark areas.

I feel so far behind now...gonna try to play as much as i can this weekend but i'm aware i have so much left to do in this magnificent game...with so little time *sigh*.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#3403 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

For people who think the music in this game came up short. Looking at you @aigis

Loading Video...

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#3404  Edited By aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

@charizard1605: Thats a really bad reason, but if we are rolling with that then it still sucks because its supposed to make you sad. The story isnt good enough to make you feel melancholy about anything in the game. Really it is just a complete disconnect between "this is really cool, im going on an adventure (one that is not urgent so I can explore)" and "you should be sad, reflect upon your life". Sad shouldnt be the tone of the adventure unless you are going for a killer story, which they didnt. None of these even change the fact there arent any good melodies that can match up to other Zelda's

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3405 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50587 Posts

How the hell can we check how much time we put in this game?

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3406 aigis

@Chutebox: a clock? I dont think the game tells you, too many people would be disappointed

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3407  Edited By Chutebox

@aigis said:

@Chutebox: a clock? I dont think the game tells you, too many people would be disappointed

So people just guestimating their playtimes?

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3408 aigis

@Chutebox: probably, does the switch have a log like wii u? I think on wii u you can see your activity log as a work around

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3409 Chutebox

@aigis said:

@Chutebox: probably, does the switch have a log like wii u? I think on wii u you can see your activity log as a work around

Ya, this is what I saw on the internet with someone checking their hours. Looked for it on Switch and couldn't find it.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3410 aigis

@Chutebox: does the parental control app track playtime?

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3411 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

Switch - go to your profile page at the top left of the interface. The log is in there. It's not much but it shows total play time for each game.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3412 Chutebox

@Phazevariance said:

Switch - go to your profile page at the top left of the interface. The log is in there. It's not much but it shows total play time for each game.

Oh, I didn't see that. Says so and so hours or more.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3413  Edited By mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:
Loading Video...

This is great.

Watched this a few days ago and if recall correctly, he complains about side quests, is he right about them being subpar?

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3414  Edited By DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

@mjorh said:
@jg4xchamp said:
Loading Video...

This is great.

Watched this a few days ago and if recall correctly, he complains about side quests, is he right about them being subpar?

There are two types of quests, shrine quests and then your standard side quests.

The shrine quests are generally kinda neat, a good amount of side quests are kinda lame and do kind of fall into the stereotypical "collect X amount of Y" chore-like crap. There are some that are more interesting than that though.

So yeah, I would agree that I'm not entirely crazy about how they handled quests in BotW. One thing I really wish they did was do what Xenoblade Chronicles X did (and the original Xenoblade? I forget TBH) and have a quest automatically be completed as soon as you get the required items.

DaisyFan007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3415  Edited By DaisyFan007
Member since 2007 • 1242 Posts

@jg4xchamp: I agree with what Bunnyhop was saying. Especially the cutscenes/loading time on the shires.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3416 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

@DJ-Lafleur: I see, nonetheless, I can't wait to get a Switch and try it out, have always wanted to play a Zelda game.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3417  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

if you hit a lynel in the back with attack up it kills faster

Loading Video...

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3418 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23942 Posts

@DJ-Lafleur said:
@mjorh said:
@jg4xchamp said:
Loading Video...

This is great.

There are two types of quests, shrine quests and then your standard side quests.

The shrine quests are generally kinda neat, a good amount of side quests are kinda lame and do kind of fall into the stereotypical "collect X amount of Y" chore-like crap. There are some that are more interesting than that though.

So yeah, I would agree that I'm not entirely crazy about how they handled quests in BotW. One thing I really wish they did was do what Xenoblade Chronicles X did (and the original Xenoblade? I forget TBH) and have a quest automatically be completed as soon as you get the required items.

That was X.

City of Heroes did something similar before. Well not really but... instead of going back to hte NPC to deliver the quest, you could just give him a call. It is a shame no other mmorpgs followed.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3419 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts
@charizard1605 said:

For people who think the music in this game came up short.

<snip>

Mark Brown SJW propaganda

/<snip>

Saw this the other day and I tend to agree, but he lost me at 9:30.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for diversity and I have plenty of Goron-like friends, but why does Nintendo need to shove their agenda down our throats like that? It's not even realistic. And I could be wrong, but some of those Gerudo women might be lesbians. And don't even get me started on the Hateno realtor.

People say this is a throwback to the original LoZ, but the original never had pandering like this.

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3420 mmmwksil
Member since 2003 • 16423 Posts

@Maroxad: @DJ-Lafleur:

Actually, Xenoblade Chronicles did it as well. But it also had some quests that required you to take the items back to specific NPCs. They were in the minority, and usually related to named NPCs that would trigger a follow-up quest or rewarded with minor world building flavor text and Affinity points.

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3421  Edited By sHaDyCuBe321
Member since 2003 • 5769 Posts

PROBABLE SPOILERS - VIEWER BEWARE

What do you think guys? Should I go with:

Dark Link

Ocarina Link

Or Fierce Deity

Dont know how to spoiler block pics, so I didnt post them!!! :-P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3422 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@ConanTheStoner: lmao, you got me there for a bit.

In other news, I finally took out a Lynel. Lost some good gear doing so too, lol

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3423  Edited By ConanTheStoner
@charizard1605 said:

@ConanTheStoner: lmao, you got me there for a bit.

Nah, just playing fill in the blanks with a an actual serious post I saw in some Andromeda thread recently.

@charizard1605 said:

In other news, I finally took out a Lynel. Lost some good gear doing so too, lol

Best fights, I'm always happy when I find one. They become easy to just toy with fairly quickly, but still fun regardless. So fun to do your parries, dodge flurries, slow mo arrow headshots, and being able to stun>mount>strike>back headshot is a cool loop.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3424  Edited By ConanTheStoner

Before I realized just how open the game was, I thought I just had to kill a Lynel early on in order to get electric arrows for the Zora Divine Beast. I died a lot, everything he did was a one hit kill at the time and my weapons were shit lol.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3425 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@ConanTheStoner: Yeah, it took a full readjustment period for me to figure out that my usual way of 'chaaarge!' battles probably wasn't the best way to take one of these motherf*ckers on. After that, it was just a matter of figuring out dodges and flurries (which are still so empowering, almost 80 hours later), and making sure I was never too low on health, and yeah, I stood victorious. The best part? Because I was battling this dude in a frigid area, and I needed my best armor on, I had to cook myself some hot meals, meaning I did this without any buffs, and no Mipha's Grace (I was out), no Daruk's Protection either. Definitely one of my prouder moments in this game lol.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3426 ConanTheStoner

@charizard1605:

Oh damn, so if it was in a snow area I'm guessing it was the white maned Lynel to the northwest? If so, those are the toughest ones (or at least I think). It's all down hill from there haha.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3427 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@ConanTheStoner said:

@charizard1605:

Oh damn, so if it was in a snow area I'm guessing it was the white maned Lynel to the northwest? If so, those are the toughest ones (or at least I think). It's all down hill from there haha.

Yeah, it was the white maned one near the northeastern edge of the map. That's the toughest? Lol, I didn't realize that. I just picked this one because he was closest to the shrine I teleported to. But hey, that's awesome, guess it's time to go Lynel hunting now lol

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3428 ConanTheStoner

@charizard1605:

Doh! My bad, there is another level up, silver maned. I think that's the one to the northwest, though I've seen it at a couple of other locations. I think it just packs more HP than the white maned, but it also drops gems.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3429 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@ConanTheStoner said:

@charizard1605:

Doh! My bad, there is another level up, silver maned. I think that's the one to the northwest, though I've seen it at a couple of other locations. I think it just packs more HP than the white maned, but it also drops gems.

Well, this one didn't drop any gems, but hey, even if it's the second hardest one, not as bad for me :P I know at least three other ones I can take on, not counting the ones in the Castle, so after them I now go

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3430 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Yeah, I got my ass kicked by that Lynel by Zora's Domain, to the point I was like "screw it, I'm just gonna grab the arrows and f*** off."

Did manage to beat him (after taking a good amount of abuse myself) last time I ran across him for a quest.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3431 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16563 Posts

@DJ-Lafleur: amazing fun game so far. Exploring Hyrule is as fun as it was for OoT, but even the weak enemies are tough and take some skill to beat

DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#3432 DerekLoffin
Member since 2002 • 9095 Posts

Well, that's it, I just quit. It seems every system in this game is designed to frustrate me to the end of my patience. It just isn't worth it.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3433 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19583 Posts

@DerekLoffin: What didn't you like about it?

Meanwhile, just finished it. Loved it. I might go back in for the last few shrines now, or maybe trying to max out my armour sets.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3434 ConanTheStoner

@DerekLoffin said:

Well, that's it, I just quit. It seems every system in this game is designed to frustrate me to the end of my patience. It just isn't worth it.

Damn, that sucks. Entertainment is absolutely subjective, but with some games it's just hard to understand such a thorough dislike. Then again, I felt TW3 was the worst game I attempted to play in 2015 lol. So I know dem feels.

DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3435 DerekLoffin

@Planeforger said:

@DerekLoffin: What didn't you like about it?

At this point I can't really identify anything I particularly do like. Combat has been a total PITA. The durability system annoys me. Everything seems to come at such a plodding pace. It just isn't working for me at all.

I see what people like about it, but none of that stuff works for me. I either find it cute but ultimately unimportant, or actually dislike it.

I guess I'm running into the same issue I have with the likes of Minecraft. Lots of people love it, I don't see the charm at all. Here, it's that plus some mechanic that just push my buttons.

That said, I've had a bit of time to cool off, so maybe I'll come back to it after some days, but this is the 4th day in a row I've ended play on it in frustration. I'm not optimistic that will change.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3436 ConanTheStoner

@DerekLoffin:

Yeah, four unenjoyable play sessions in a row, sounds like a lost cause at this point. Did you buy a Switch for it? That'd suck.

I guess on the bright side there's been plenty of good releases lately with more on the way. No shortage of other good games to check out.

DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3437 DerekLoffin

@ConanTheStoner: Thankfully no. Just the Wii U version.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3438 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@DerekLoffin: That's a shame :/

You gave it a fair go, man. It happens. And hey, not like there's a shortage of great games for you to enjoy at the moment either, lol

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3439 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Yay! completed it (beat Ganon) by accident..lol..wasn't even looking for him, somehow end up having to fight him. I give it 9/10...minus 0.5 for Zelda's crappy voice - I really dislike it, annoying in fact, also 0.5 for short durability on weapons...should have made them last longer..especially cool looking ones. :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3440 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Loading Video...

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#3441  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69744 Posts

@charizard1605: Not an honest trailer. :( They still treat you like a an idiot throughout the game.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#3442 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

I feel like the Weapon Durability is drastically over exaggerated.

People complain about not having this weapon for a good majority of the game, and here I am with a Five Royal Greatswords.

I also know where to get The Frostblades and Edge of Duality and I can spend a good time getting Lynel stuff and Dragon Bone Weapons are easy as hell to find. Also all the Combat Shrines "Reset" after a Blood Moon so you can get all the Ancient Weapons again.

Also look at how many damn slots I have. Weapon Durability is a complaint for Early game, but once you get to Kakoriko Village and do that Shrine and meet Hetsu, the Durability argument should go right out that window. Weapon Breaks? Tough, get a new one. Know your Weapon placement.

Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3443  Edited By Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

@aigis said:

@charizard1605: Thats a really bad reason, but if we are rolling with that then it still sucks because its supposed to make you sad. The story isnt good enough to make you feel melancholy about anything in the game. Really it is just a complete disconnect between "this is really cool, im going on an adventure (one that is not urgent so I can explore)" and "you should be sad, reflect upon your life". Sad shouldnt be the tone of the adventure unless you are going for a killer story, which they didnt. None of these even change the fact there arent any good melodies that can match up to other Zelda's

From what I've seen from your posts I disagree with your view on the game overall but completely almost word for word agree with you here. The game wasn't at all melancholic, not even in the slightest, so I have no idea why they used this particular style of piano work for the game. An Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princess style theme could have easily fit in section of this game and yet there was this subtle background sound. Even when I'd happen upon some epic grand environment they would play some lame tinkling of piano keys. They could have easily used some more iconic and boisterous adventuring music, but they went for something else and I didn't think it worked. And Yeah the story is just terrible.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3444 aigis

@charizard1605: see it does suck, it isnt just me

Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3445 Jolt_counter119

@LegatoSkyheart: Completely agree. Weapon durability is an early game issue which makes you have to play smarter and more creatively. My current weapon selection even makes yours look wimpy. I don't understand why people are getting such an attachment to weapons when the game is constantly throwing stronger and stronger ones at you throughout the entire game. Just use your weapons, jesus, you'll find another or a stronger one i like 10 minutes.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3446 aigis

@Jolt_counter119: A lot of it is more that the weapon durability isnt as rewarding as a game that doesnt have it. Both have their pros and cons, but with weapon durability when you get a new weapon, its not cool because you know you are losing it in the next few seconds. Then if you have a grouping of good weapons I dont want to waste it on a easy camp. Couple that with the inventory system that is lacking compared to other games, its understandable why it falls flat for a lot. Thats not to say there isnt advantages to the durability system, but it depends on how it rubs on you. Does it promote variety or diminish loot and choice

Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3447  Edited By Jolt_counter119

@aigis: Maybe the durability could be increased, but then again I've come across weapons that lasted me forever (with durability bonus) and the variety of weapons makes it so I don't miss any weapons I break. The fact that you said you don't want to "waste" a good weapon on weak enemy camp is where our differences lie. I remember when I got my first 60+ weapon and the first thing I did with it was smash it over a red bokoblins head. The only weapon that depresses me when it breaks is the ice rod because I love using it so much but given that they are so easy to find I can just stockpile them. Every item that I find that has in-game uses like the sledgehammer, korok leaf, and elemental rods I noticed are the easiest to find.

Also I really think people overstate how weak the weapons are in this game. The bokoblin and moblin weapons definitely break within 2 encounters but I think they were designed to be that way because literally every enemy drops them. The other weapons I though lasted just long enough for me to get use out of them while breaking early enough so I don't become attached.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3448 aigis

@Jolt_counter119: Its all about the mentality you bring to it. In RE7 I literally would only use my knife in a lot of parts because I wanted to save ammo. It depends on the kind of player you are

Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3449  Edited By Jolt_counter119

@aigis said:

@Jolt_counter119: Its all about the mentality you bring to it. In RE7 I literally would only use my knife in a lot of parts because I wanted to save ammo. It depends on the kind of player you are

That's true. I think I'm high on it because I'm a stubborn player, I pretty much refuse to use anything else in Bloodborne besides the axe. I appreciate being forced out of my style. The first one is always the hardest, just take the biggest and baddest weapon you got and smash it on a keese, then realize that it's not such a big deal and then the game becomes a lot funner.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#3450  Edited By zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

I finished it. Breath of the Wild was easily one of the most beautiful games I've played, from both an artistic standpoint and as a whole product.

What a stunning video game. After 70+ hours I'm just in love with it. Elegant in its story. Its music breathtaking. It was challenging and filled with a sense of wonder.

10/10. Bravo Nintendo. I'm a very happy gamer, and I'm ready to continue my adventure.