The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Hype Thread (HYPE: AAAAE) (HYPE MET!!!!) (97 on Metacritic)

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3201 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts
@jaydan said:

Honestly I really don't like eating the dots in Pac-Man, and I hate the fact I'm getting chased by ghosts. I'm just gonna keep playing it and keep complaining more more MORE!!

If you knew Pedro's post history you would know asking him to have some perspective is a fool's errand.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3202 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8466 Posts

@Juub1990 said:
@jaydan said:

Honestly I really don't like eating the dots in Pac-Man, and I hate the fact I'm getting chased by ghosts. I'm just gonna keep playing it and keep complaining more more MORE!!

If you knew Pedro's post history you would know asking him to have some perspective is a fool's errand.

What you don't understand is because I neither like eating the dots nor being chased by ghosts is I'll dispute these are broken mechanics rather than realizing I just don't like them!

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#3203 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70222 Posts

@jaydan: Oh, so riding the horse is the core mechanic and main of BOTW? Seems like you are playing a different game to me. Try revising your poor logic next time. ?

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3204  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8466 Posts

@Pedro said:

@jaydan: Oh, so riding the horse is the core mechanic and main of BOTW? Seems like you are playing a different game to me. Try revising your poor logic next time. ?

Oops, I thought we were discussing Horse Simulator, my bad.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3205 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20251 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart said:
@iandizion713 said:
@LegatoSkyheart said:

NeoGaf is killing me trying to figure out where Breath of the Wild falls in Nintendo's Broken Timeline.

I thought it was perfectly clear that Nintendo "Star Wars'd" Zelda and just said "Every Game before this one were just Legends."

No timeline, Every Zelda is it's own Legend and the people of Breath of the Wild was REALLY aware of them.

It falls in the hero has fallen timeline. But yeah, theyre all legends. Even this made it clear its a legend. Maybe after the Adventure of Link. So might be Legend of Zelda, Adventure of Link, and then Breath of the Wild.

Did we play the same game?

If it fell into ANY timeline if Nintendo actually cares about it anymore...

It's the child timeline. Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time are referenced as they should since it's before the split, but Zelda directly references that the Master Sword fought in "Embers of Twilight" meaning it saw the events of Twilight Princess. THING IS THOUGH THIS GAME HAS REFERENCES TO MANY OTHER ZELDA GAMES like the Leviathans making some NPCs in the game suggest there was a big Drought in Hyrule (I wonder how they got there? It's as if the entire World was Underwater at some point in time... *cough*WindWaker*cough*) Use the Amiibo for the other Link Tunics and they start talking about the Many Legends the Hero has gone through. If you must put this on any Timeline in the Hyrule Historia it's the Child Timeline, but I feel like there's more evidence to indicate that Nintendo doesn't care and made everything before this game just pure Legends. The Only games directly referenced in this one are Skyward Sword, Ocarina of Time, and Twilight Princess.

Nintendo making the timeline was a terrible decision

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#3206 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

As far as timeline discussions go, I am reasonably sure this game is meant to act as a soft reboot.

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3207  Edited By Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

As far as timeline discussions go, I am reasonably sure this game is meant to act as a soft reboot.

I disagree. There a Gerudo who talks about Ganon once masquerading as one of her kind before an attempt at Hyrule (Oot reference). It shouldn't reference old Zelda's if it's a reboot, but also, not many other zeldas reference other zeldas that directly.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3208 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Phazevariance said:
@charizard1605 said:

I disagree. There a Gerudo who talks about Ganon once masquerading as one of her kind before an attempt at Hyrule (Oot reference). It shouldn't reference old Zelda's if it's a reboot, but also, not many other zeldas reference other zeldas that directly.

Well, it references older games as 'legends', which I believe is what the original intent o the series was

King_Dodongo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3209 King_Dodongo
Member since 2006 • 3759 Posts

Thanks to this game, I look at the sky hoping I don't get struck by a thunder.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3210  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23721 Posts
@Juub1990 said:

Not to stereotype you but you enjoying fighting games and southern rap music like Outkast, Goodie Mob and the whole Dungeon Family make me think you're a black dude from a Southern State. I might be completely wrong lol.

...but I'm a Chinese dude from Alaska.

Nah, jk, but you're half right bro.

I grew up living all over the place, but eventually ended up in this rubber band bouncing back between Texas and Georgia. North Alabama kinda became the home base that I rotate back to every so often, so yeah, the south is a part of me lol. Half Egyptian, half melting pot American. Absolutely a product of my environment though.

smashed_pinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3211  Edited By smashed_pinata
Member since 2005 • 3747 Posts

The horse controls are fine. Not liking them is fine but they work accurately. Your ineptitude of controlling a horse is on you PEDRO :D

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3212  Edited By Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

The music already makes me nostalgic for the game and I'm only 15 hours into it for goodness sake.

Loading Video...

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3213 ConanTheStoner

Ah, the horse controls. So yeah, the taming period is so short that it might as well not even be a thing. I'm glad they get it out of the way fast, but it does seem pointless at times. That being said, it's just a minor detail, doesn't really get in the way. Once your horse is your horse this isn't going to be an issue obviously. And of course, not all horses in this game are created equally.

I'm thinking they added the brief taming phase to punctuate those more "wild" scenarios when you mount a horse. This game has a laser focus on the feeling of adventuring above all else. So when you steal a horse from an enemy during an encounter, or when you paraglide down and land on a horses back out of nowhere, of course it should be a bit unwieldy at first. It makes sense that in such a hectic scenario you're not just landing on a perfect machine. It does add to the experience.

And the horse controls in general are good. I hate to make this a tallest midget contest, but really, how many games do it better? Not much I can think of off the top of my head. MGSV perfected horse controls and combat, but after that?

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3214  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide: Yeah I'm loving the music, it fits the game amazingly.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3215 Pedro

@ConanTheStoner said:

Ah, the horse controls. So yeah, the taming period is so short that it might as well not even be a thing. I'm glad they get it out of the way fast, but it does seem pointless at times. That being said, it's just a minor detail, doesn't really get in the way. Once your horse is your horse this isn't going to be an issue obviously. And of course, not all horses in this game are created equally.

I'm thinking they added the brief taming phase to punctuate those more "wild" scenarios when you mount a horse. This game has a laser focus on the feeling of adventuring above all else. So when you steal a horse from an enemy during an encounter, or when you paraglide down and land on a horses back out of nowhere, of course it should be a bit unwieldy at first. It makes sense that in such a hectic scenario you're not just landing on a perfect machine. It does add to the experience.

And the horse controls in general are good. I hate to make this a tallest midget contest, but really, how many games do it better? Not much I can think of off the top of my head. MGSV perfected horse controls and combat, but after that?

The mounts in Horizon has better controls, can be called at anytime and also be mounted while running because it runs along side you after you call it.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3216 ConanTheStoner
@Pedro said:

The mounts in Horizon has better controls, can be called at anytime and also be mounted while running because it runs along side you after you call it.

Sweet, yeah that's how it works in MGSV as well. I really need to play Horizon some time.

I do like how BotW doesn't give you a magic teleporting horse though. It entirely depends on the game of course, in some games it would be a drag. But given the constant verticality of BotW's map, I don't mind horses being a means of traversal that must remain within earshot and only in logical spaces.

I'm sure Nintendos outlook was more simple than that though. They probably just didn't want to deal with the ridiculous bug testing that would come with having horses teleport onto any crazy terrain in the game.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3217  Edited By Pedro

@ConanTheStoner said:
@Pedro said:

Sweet, yeah that's how it works in MGSV as well. I really need to play Horizon some time.

I do like how BotW doesn't give you a magic teleporting horse though. It entirely depends on the game of course, in some games it would be a drag. But given the constant verticality of BotW's map, I don't mind horses being a means of traversal that must remain within earshot and only in logical spaces.

I'm sure Nintendos outlook was more simple than that though. They probably just didn't want to deal with the ridiculous bug testing that would come with having horses teleport onto any crazy terrain in the game.

What they can do for Horizon is add a glider of some sort. That will be the one thing that you will miss when you do play Horizon.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3218  Edited By iandizion713

@Pedro said:
@ConanTheStoner said:

You can mount while running in Zelda too. Also your horse will follow after called while you continue to run. Zelda's has better AI and better combat. Plus Zelda has a smarter calling system. You can also prance your mount, feed, and name them.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3219  Edited By ConanTheStoner
@iandizion713 said:

You can mount while running in Zelda too.

Is this true? I'll admit, I don't even use the horses much in this game, but I didn't think this was possible. Are you saying that you can call a horse, have it run alongside you at the same speed and allow you to mount with zero break in momentum? Because that's what we're talking about here.

@iandizion713 said:

Plus Zelda has a smarter calling system.

Wat?

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3220  Edited By iandizion713

@ConanTheStoner: The horse has to hear you. It also has to be able to reach you. Its a pretty smart system.

Yeah, you can, youll take off at full speed.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#3221  Edited By aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

@iandizion713 said:

Zelda has a smarter calling system.

The calling system was pretty simple yet frustrating to me. I get what they were going for, but I barely used my horse because of it. There is a threshhold where it becomes so realistic its not fun, Zelda crosses that line a couple of times... Cant really comment on Horizon cause I havent played it

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3222 ConanTheStoner

@iandizion713 said:

@ConanTheStoner: The horse has to hear you. It also has to be able to reach you.

That's not smarter, that's just a design choice lol. It works well in this game. It would suck in some other games. There's nothing special about it though.

What about my first question though, the running/mounting thing?

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3223  Edited By iandizion713

@ConanTheStoner: Its a smarter mount. Plus how it reacts to objects is smarter. The horse might refuse to walk down a hill, but if you prance him down, hell go. The horse is also smart while fighting, hell kick people.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3224 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@ConanTheStoner: I know you can glide into a horse and ride straight up. Haven't tried running and mounting but I've seen moblins do it so I'm assuming it's possible

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3225  Edited By ConanTheStoner

@iandizion713 said:

@ConanTheStoner: Its a smarter mount. Plus how it reacts to objects is smarter. The horse might refuse to walk down a hill, but if you prance him down, hell go. The horse is also smart while fighting, hell kick people.

I'm not saying it's bad by any means, as a matter of fact I love the way the horse works in this game, but... I think you just need to play more games lol. Not only are these ideas nothing new, this game isn't even their best execution.

@charizard1605 said:

@ConanTheStoner: I know you can glide into a horse and ride straight up. Haven't tried running and mounting but I've seen moblins do it so I'm assuming it's possible

Yeah, I've done it from gliding (which is fucking sweet! lol), but not running alongside and jumping on. I'll try it when I get back on the game though.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3226 aigis

@iandizion713 said:

There are times it gets caught in really stupid places especially at the end, but the combat is funny

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3227 aigis

@charizard1605 said:

I wish you could glide on to wild horses though...

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3228  Edited By iandizion713

@aigis: Combat is amazing too. Its best horse gameplay ive ever experienced. Even the way the horse moves is breath-taking.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3229 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@aigis: You can

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3230 aigis

@iandizion713: Cant complain too much, but I probably would give the edge to MGSV in the horse department

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3231 iandizion713

@aigis: Yeah, not me.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3232 aigis

@charizard1605 said:

I've tried it on multiple occasions and I get hurt from doing it

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3233 ConanTheStoner

@aigis said:
@charizard1605 said:

I've tried it on multiple occasions and I get hurt from doing it

Nah, it works. First time I did it was with a wild horse... that sounds terrible.

@iandizion713 said:

@aigis: Yeah, not me.

I know "Fvck Kojima" is your mantra, but this game does share a ridiculous amount of similarities with MGSV, and some of those similar things are handled much better in MGSV. The horse being one of them.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3234  Edited By iandizion713

@ConanTheStoner: Not imo. MGSV horse gameplay is pretty shitty compared to Zelda. MGSV horse is so OP its a joke. Plus its a dumb horse. Might as well have a car that never runs out of gas and takes no damage. Its silly stupid.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3235  Edited By ConanTheStoner

@iandizion713 said:

@ConanTheStoner: Not imo. MGSV horse gameplay is pretty shiity compared to Zelda.

lol. Buddy I'm not going to do the troll rounds with you today, but just a fyi.

1. You've already admitted before that you don't play MGS games. So you haven't even played MGSV to make such a comparison.

2. Even if you hadn't admitted to that previously, your "Fvck Kojima" comments in every Kojima/MGS related thread you post in kind of out you for having a strong bias.

3. I guarantee you that you can't actually come up with a single fact to back up that claim. Sooo....

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3236  Edited By iandizion713

@ConanTheStoner: What? When did i state i dont play MGS? You talking out your ass again mate. MGS horse is a fuckin joke. But did you see that poop though? That shit was tight.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3237 ConanTheStoner

@iandizion713 said:

@ConanTheStoner: What? When did i state i dont play MGS? You talking out your ass again mate.

Nope. But I'm not playing Google sleuth here again either. Tired of bringing you guys the receipts only to get "Oh lol derp" in response.

Anyways, as for your ninja edit to your previous post:

@iandizion713 said:

Plus its a dumb horse. Might as well have a car that never runs out of gas and takes no damage. Its silly stupid.

You just outed yourself here. Thank you.

- The horse won't run into walls, trees, or other objects, instead it reacts like a horse looking out for its own well being. If it can make a jump it, it jumps. If not, it stops.

- The horse does take damage and can die.

Thanks for playing.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3238  Edited By iandizion713

@ConanTheStoner: Exactly, it controls like shit. It can jump bout anything, run insane speeds none stop, climb hard terrain that real horses cant, etc. Its a stupid horse. Horse just gets knocked out from bullets. Its a joke design. The horse doesnt die, he comes back. Also enemies ignore the horse. Like seeing a horse without a rider is a common thing.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3239  Edited By ConanTheStoner

@iandizion713 said:

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3240  Edited By iandizion713

@ConanTheStoner: Dont get butthurt bro. You asked for the shit. Show us that awesome horse gameplay so we can all laugh are asses off.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3241 ConanTheStoner
@iandizion713 said:

Avatar image for deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#3242 deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
Member since 2011 • 2103 Posts

those memes that get super pixelated absolutely kill me.

anyways, the horse in Breath of the Wild is kind of atrocious at times. like bruh, just Skyrim a little please? This little cliff or indentation in the ground isn't going to harm you. Then I end up smacking it on the booty with a Korok leaf because it refused to move at all.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3243 ConanTheStoner

@PikminWorld said:

anyways, the horse in Breath of the Wild is kind of atrocious at times. like bruh, just Skyrim a little please? This little cliff or indentation in the ground isn't going to harm you. Then I end up smacking it on the booty with a Korok leaf because it refused to move at all.

Yeah, it's not great, but at least it's serviceable. Better than a lot of games with horse mounts. And luckily it's not something you have to depend on to get around much. I spend much more time paragliding, climbing, or just teleporting to a location than I do riding a horse. Funny thing is, the sandseals are better lol.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3244 deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95

@ConanTheStoner said:
@PikminWorld said:

Yeah, it's not great, but at least it's serviceable. Better than a lot of games with horse mounts. And luckily it's not something you have to depend on to get around much. I spend much more time paragliding, climbing, or just teleporting to a location than I do riding a horse. Funny thing is, the sandseals are better lol.

yeah the sand seals are better, but have problems of their own. Most notably, they can't be tamed, so when I'm fighting that sand monster (forgot the name) and I accidentally hit a solid patch of ground, Link automatically dismounts the sand seal. Then, I try to mount it again and it flees from me, leaving me to get rekt a few seconds later.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3245  Edited By iandizion713

@PikminWorld said:

A horse could lose its footing and fall. Yall need to go horse riding and enjoy some real horses. Skyrim horses are a joke too.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3246 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

I don't really use horses that much in the game. And when I do, I eventually split from it, decide to teleport somewhere and forget about it (which now makes me realize I'm probably a horse neglecter and murderer...whoops).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3247 deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95

@iandizion713 said:
@PikminWorld said:

A horse could lose its footing and fall.

When I said little cliff, I meant more like a small decline in the geography. Something the horse should easily be fine with jumping down from or what not. Instead it gets disobedient. I'm sure that's practical and logical in real life (well, depending) but in a video game it does become a nuisance. I understand some game mechanics should be grounded in reality, but when I'm fighting creatures called Bokoblins or regenerating my life by eating spicy curry or whatever it kind of sets the reality standards low.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3248  Edited By iandizion713

@PikminWorld: Breath of the Wild horses can go down small declines and jump stuff. You can also walk it down more drastic declines realistically.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3249 ConanTheStoner
@PikminWorld said:

yeah the sand seals are better, but have problems of their own. Most notably, they can't be tamed, so when I'm fighting that sand monster (forgot the name) and I accidentally hit a solid patch of ground, Link automatically dismounts the sand seal. Then, I try to mount it again and it flees from me, leaving me to get rekt a few seconds later.

Yeah I do wish you could have a sand seal of your own, not just wild one or a rental one, but one that actually stays in vicinity and responds to your whistle.

I had a couple of treks through the desert that weren't too fun. Rare instances where the hiking simulator issue of other open world games started creeping in. It wasn't even bad, just seemed out of place compared to the rest of the game, covering an empty open space for a minute or two. I mean yeah, it's a fucking desert lol. But still, would've been nice to have a sand seal at my call.

As for that sand shark/whale thing... man, I found such an easy damn way to cheese my way through those fights lol.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3250 deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95

@ConanTheStoner said:
@PikminWorld said:

Yeah I do wish you could have a sand seal of your own, not just wild one or a rental one, but one that actually stays in vicinity and responds to your whistle.

I had a couple of treks through the desert that weren't too fun. Rare instances where the hiking simulator issue of other open world games started creeping in. It wasn't even bad, just seemed out of place compared to the rest of the game, covering an empty open space for a minute or two. I mean yeah, it's a fucking desert lol. But still, would've been nice to have a sand seal at my call.

As for that sand shark/whale thing... man, I found such an easy damn way to cheese my way through those fights lol.

I kind of liked Gerudo Desert, but I dunno. I understand you, it gets boring just walking for huge stretches and then being bothered by the millionth Lizalfo or whatever that tries to guerrilla attack me lol. Sandstorm was really annoying too since I couldn't tell what general direction I was going. :P

The sand creature was actually one of my first big obstacles in the game. Even on the sand seal it would manage to hit me when it surfaced. plus I was fighting one that was surrounded by Lizalfos and Bokoblins (the former being super fast for some reason lol). I shot the crap out of it with bomb arrows as this was before I became super OP with all the special powers the Champions grant me.