System Wars Vote: Should downloadable games be counted for the metagame?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#102 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]No, unless it's 19.99 or higher. A good game is a good game by any means regardless of the arbitrary numerical value placed upon it, however, fact remains that value plays a role in reviews--Journey, a two hour downloadable game, is not on the same level as Uncharted 3. Scores can be skewed because of this. I place the limitation on the price only because we have allowed PC game expansion priced as so be counted in the metagame, and I believe a $20 downloadable game can be compared to full retail games at times.Ly_the_Fairy

That's what I came here to say.

Hes spot on, the price point can be argued, but the overall message is spot on. I find it shocking how many people don't understand this very basic concept.
D4W1L4H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 D4W1L4H
Member since 2011 • 1765 Posts

Yes.

sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 sandbox3d
Member since 2010 • 5166 Posts

[QUOTE="sandbox3d"]

[QUOTE="Eddie-Vedder"] So your saying SOME cheap games are better then SOME expesinve games. WoW your a genius, what an amazing find bro. Aren't SOME expensive games also better then SOME cheap games? Woahh we're on top something here. Eddie-Vedder

The funny thing is you are on to something here and you dont even see it. You just said it yourself lol.

The price and method of distribution have no direct correlation to the quality of the game. You can have games on each side that are either amazing, or complete piles of sh*t.

Thats the point. That is why trying to force two different categories here makes no sense.

Omg, he said some games he could be comparing a AAA arcade game to a 1.0 retail games, ofc the AAA arcade game is better.... USE YOUR HEAD. If you have the same themed game, from the same genre, and the same dev, one is AAA retail and one is AAA arcade which one will have more depth and more quality?Come on dude, this is kind of sad how hard it is for some of you guys to grasp. Kevin V has come into SW before and explained this, you can't lump them together, when they review an arcade game they take into account it's a small 10$ game, they don't hurt the score because it doesn't have standard 60$ retail level features and graphics and sound etc.. On the other hand if a AAA retail game doesn't have those retail standard features it's going to get docked... This is factual, Gamespots very own guidelines say this.

Who knows? There is no equation for this man. God damn lol. Some games consume millions in budget and years of development to come out as a turd at retail. On the flip side, some games consume little budget, little time and come out gold. Great design is not dependant on budget, price, or method of distribution. I can show you plenty of DL games that have more depth and quality than retail games.. and vice versa. YOU ARE TRYING TO THROW A BLANKET STATEMENT OVER THE SITUATION AND IT DOES NOT WORK. All a person has to do is provide one example and you're instantly proven wrong.

How is it so hard for you to grasp that Kevin, or GS is not the word of god? And that even their own standards change all the time? I dont need Kevin telling me how to think. His opinions are just that. OPINIONS. Sh*t I've been working in this industry longer than KV has been writing, I'm not about to bow to his opinion.

Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#105 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

Downlaodable games count, if they are also sold at retail. What doesn't count are these arcade games that are only sold via DD. If they are to count as well then they need to be weighed accordingly, as they are not priced the same as retail games and they are not scored to the same standards as retail games.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts

[QUOTE="sandbox3d"]

[QUOTE="Eddie-Vedder"] So your saying SOME cheap games are better then SOME expesinve games. WoW your a genius, what an amazing find bro. Aren't SOME expensive games also better then SOME cheap games? Woahh we're on top something here. Eddie-Vedder

The funny thing is you are on to something here and you dont even see it. You just said it yourself lol.

The price and method of distribution have no direct correlation to the quality of the game. You can have games on each side that are either amazing, or complete piles of sh*t.

Thats the point. That is why trying to force two different categories here makes no sense.

Omg, he said some games he could be comparing a AAA arcade game to a 1.0 retail games, ofc the AAA arcade game is better.... USE YOUR HEAD. If you have the same themed game, from the same genre, and the same dev, one is AAA retail and one is AAA arcade which one will have more depth and more quality? Come on dude, this is kind of sad how hard it is for some of you guys to grasp. Kevin V has come into SW before and explained this, you can't lump them together, when they review an arcade game they take into account it's a small 10$ game, they don't hurt the score because it doesn't have standard 60$ retail level features and graphics and sound etc.. On the other hand if a AAA retail game doesn't have those retail standard features it's going to get docked... This is factual, Gamespots very own guidelines say this.

quality? it's a toss up

depth? probably the downloadable game, seems that's where developers take risks these days

Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 Eddie-Vedder

[QUOTE="Eddie-Vedder"][QUOTE="sandbox3d"]

sandbox3d

Omg, he said some games he could be comparing a AAA arcade game to a 1.0 retail games, ofc the AAA arcade game is better.... USE YOUR HEAD. If you have the same themed game, from the same genre, and the same dev, one is AAA retail and one is AAA arcade which one will have more depth and more quality?Come on dude, this is kind of sad how hard it is for some of you guys to grasp. Kevin V has come into SW before and explained this, you can't lump them together, when they review an arcade game they take into account it's a small 10$ game, they don't hurt the score because it doesn't have standard 60$ retail level features and graphics and sound etc.. On the other hand if a AAA retail game doesn't have those retail standard features it's going to get docked... This is factual, Gamespots very own guidelines say this.

Who knows? There is no equation for this man. God damn lol. Some games consume millions in budget and years of development to come out as a turd at retail. On the flip side, some games consume little budget, little time and come out gold. Great design is not dependant on budget, price, or method of distribution. I can show you plenty of DL games that have more depth and quality than retail games.. and vice versa. YOU ARE TRYING TO THROW A BLANKET STATEMENT OVER THE SITUATION AND IT DOES NOT WORK. All a person has to do is provide one example and you're instantly proven wrong.

How is it so hard for you to grasp that Kevin, or GS is not the word of god? And that even their own standards change all the time? I dont need Kevin telling me how to think. His opinions are just that. OPINIONS. Sh*t I've been working in this industry longer than KV has been writing, I'm not about to bow to his opinion.

Omg dude why are you talking about games that take long and come out and are bad etc, if that's the case they aren't AAA vs AAA, we're talking about different standards when talking about same scores. Holy sh1t you guys are thick. The argument is AAA retail vs AAA arcade, not AAA arcade vs crappy retail game. The argument is about cheap AAA 5$ tower defense games against award winning GOTY AAA retail games...
CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts

Yes- It is pretty silly how so many low budget indie games count for PC but none of the PSN or XBL games count. or at least make it full retail box for PC only also.

edit- I change my vote to only retail games count for all systems including PC.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 rilpas

[QUOTE="sandbox3d"]

[QUOTE="Eddie-Vedder"]Omg, he said some games he could be comparing a AAA arcade game to a 1.0 retail games, ofc the AAA arcade game is better.... USE YOUR HEAD. If you have the same themed game, from the same genre, and the same dev, one is AAA retail and one is AAA arcade which one will have more depth and more quality?Come on dude, this is kind of sad how hard it is for some of you guys to grasp. Kevin V has come into SW before and explained this, you can't lump them together, when they review an arcade game they take into account it's a small 10$ game, they don't hurt the score because it doesn't have standard 60$ retail level features and graphics and sound etc.. On the other hand if a AAA retail game doesn't have those retail standard features it's going to get docked... This is factual, Gamespots very own guidelines say this.Eddie-Vedder

Omg dude why are you talking about games that take long and come out and are bad etc, if that's the case they aren't AAA vs AAA, we're talking about different standards when talking about same scores. Holy sh1t you guys are thick. The argument is AAA retail vs AAA arcade, not AAA arcade vs crappy retail game. The argument is about cheap AAA 5$ tower defense games against award winning GOTY AAA retail games...

who says we were comparing AAA downloadable games to crappy retail games?

I was comparing AAA games to AAA games

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 CaseyWegner
Member since 2002 • 70114 Posts

[QUOTE="sandbox3d"]

[QUOTE="Eddie-Vedder"]Omg, he said some games he could be comparing a AAA arcade game to a 1.0 retail games, ofc the AAA arcade game is better.... USE YOUR HEAD. If you have the same themed game, from the same genre, and the same dev, one is AAA retail and one is AAA arcade which one will have more depth and more quality?Come on dude, this is kind of sad how hard it is for some of you guys to grasp. Kevin V has come into SW before and explained this, you can't lump them together, when they review an arcade game they take into account it's a small 10$ game, they don't hurt the score because it doesn't have standard 60$ retail level features and graphics and sound etc.. On the other hand if a AAA retail game doesn't have those retail standard features it's going to get docked... This is factual, Gamespots very own guidelines say this.Eddie-Vedder

come on, guys. this discussion has gone on long enough and you're just making it more difficult to count the votes. you've said your peace and voted so can we leave it at that?

Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 Eddie-Vedder

rilpas

Omg, he said some games he could be comparing a AAA arcade game to a 1.0 retail games, ofc the AAA arcade game is better.... USE YOUR HEAD. If you have the same themed game, from the same genre, and the same dev, one is AAA retail and one is AAA arcade which one will have more depth and more quality? Come on dude, this is kind of sad how hard it is for some of you guys to grasp. Kevin V has come into SW before and explained this, you can't lump them together, when they review an arcade game they take into account it's a small 10$ game, they don't hurt the score because it doesn't have standard 60$ retail level features and graphics and sound etc.. On the other hand if a AAA retail game doesn't have those retail standard features it's going to get docked... This is factual, Gamespots very own guidelines say this.

quality? it's a toss up

depth? probably the downloadable game, seems that's where developers take risks these days

Makes perfect sense, I guess arcade games have higher standards :lol: This could only come form a lem, maybe retail game shouldn't count? :lol:
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="Eddie-Vedder"]Omg, he said some games he could be comparing a AAA arcade game to a 1.0 retail games, ofc the AAA arcade game is better.... USE YOUR HEAD. If you have the same themed game, from the same genre, and the same dev, one is AAA retail and one is AAA arcade which one will have more depth and more quality? Come on dude, this is kind of sad how hard it is for some of you guys to grasp. Kevin V has come into SW before and explained this, you can't lump them together, when they review an arcade game they take into account it's a small 10$ game, they don't hurt the score because it doesn't have standard 60$ retail level features and graphics and sound etc.. On the other hand if a AAA retail game doesn't have those retail standard features it's going to get docked... This is factual, Gamespots very own guidelines say this. Eddie-Vedder

quality? it's a toss up

Makes perfect sense, I guess arcade games have higher standards :lol: This could only come form a lem, maybe retail game shouldn't count? :lol:

now you're just putting words in my mouth :|

and how exactly am I being a lem? hell, how am I even a lem? :?

Don't we already count steam games? what seperates an indie steam game from an indie XBL game?

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

No, unless it's 19.99 or higher. A good game is a good game by any means regardless of the arbitrary numerical value placed upon it, however, fact remains that value plays a role in reviews--Journey, a two hour downloadable game, is not on the same level as Uncharted 3. Scores can be skewed because of this. I place the limitation on the price only because we have allowed PC game expansion priced as so be counted in the metagame, and I believe a $20 downloadable game can be compared to full retail games at times.Stevo_the_gamer

Granted it's not perfect. The discussions in this forum would devolve into stupidity even further than they have since the PS3 got its first AAAe.

While anyone can have equal, if not more fun with a downloadable title over a retail title, there are still obvious quality differences. I'll use Halo 4 and World of Goo since they're fresh on my mind, and both took me 6.5 hours to beat.

World of Goo doesn't have much going for it after the first playthrough. It has OCD (getting a certain amount of goo balls into the sucker thingy), and trying to best your own time which aren't really anything special.

Halo 4 has multiple difficulties, co-op mode, and hidden terminals and skulls which add bonus story content, and greater challenge modes respectively. After that fact Halo 4 has FIFTY Spartan Ops campaigns headed its way, a fully-fledged multiplayer with tons of maps and game modes, and forge/theater.

Maybe someone doesn't care about online multiplayer, or doesn't have someone to play co-op with, so perhaps they will only play Halo 4 for the campaign, and return it to redbox, but can we really equalize World of Goo's and Halo 4's 9.0 scores objectively (lol?).

I vote nay on downloadable and retail being lumped together, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't count. I've never understood why someone can't claim any ownage with the downloadable library of a console.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts
No
sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 sandbox3d
Member since 2010 • 5166 Posts

CaseyWegner

come on, guys. this discussion has gone on long enough and you're just making it more difficult to count the votes. you've said your peace and voted so can we leave it at that?

Yeah, sorry. I'm out. The discussion isn't going anywhere anyways. I'm just glad to see that most people voting in this thread have their wits about them.

Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 Jonwh18
Member since 2009 • 9350 Posts

What ever we do it need to be equal across all systems. I don't really care for the 19.99 and up idea for a couple of reasons. The first is F2P games. All of them are DD and under $20. I doubt think PC gamers are going to appreciate having games like tribes no count. Also with several industry giants announcing a move to F2P setting a 19.99 + price point is going to cause problems. Another problem with this is prices vary from region to region making for inconvenientcomparisons.

Edit: I vote yes

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

with the upcoming release of the wii u and the start of a new gaming generation, it's time to review the system wars metagame rules regarding whether or not the previously uncounted downloadable games (xbla and psn games, for example) should indeed count towards a system's exclusive game list and be considered as equal to any other retail game.

place your vote here as a "yes" or "no" to whether or not downloadable games should be included in the metagame. keep discussion to a minimum.

mods, if you'd be so kind, could you give this a sticky and help keep it on topic? i think two weeks should be enough time for everybody who is interested in voting to make their voice heard. the votes will be tallied at the end of the two weeks and the side with the highest number of votes will be considered the winner. if "no" is the winner, nothing will change and the metagame will proceed as it is.

CaseyWegner

They already were counting for PC all generation, even small games like Lone Survivor and Braid (Counts for PC, doesn't count for PS360).

They should have been removed from PC or counted for Consoles.

Unfortunately, it's even messier when we consider games released for $1 getting AA and AAA scores being compared with retail $60 games rated AA/AAA. Reviewers take price into consideration...

Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 Jonwh18

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]No, unless it's 19.99 or higher. A good game is a good game by any means regardless of the arbitrary numerical value placed upon it, however, fact remains that value plays a role in reviews--Journey, a two hour downloadable game, is not on the same level as Uncharted 3. Scores can be skewed because of this. I place the limitation on the price only because we have allowed PC game expansion priced as so be counted in the metagame, and I believe a $20 downloadable game can be compared to full retail games at times.Ly_the_Fairy

Granted it's not perfect. The discussions in this forum would devolve into stupidity even further than they have since the PS3 got its first AAAe.

While anyone can have equal, if not more fun with a downloadable title over a retail title, there are still obvious quality differences. I'll use Halo 4 and World of Goo since they're fresh on my mind, and both took me 6.5 hours to beat.

World of Goo doesn't have much going for it after the first playthrough. It has OCD (getting a certain amount of goo balls into the sucker thingy), and trying to best your own time which aren't really anything special.

Halo 4 has multiple difficulties, co-op mode, and hidden terminals and skulls which add bonus story content, and greater challenge modes respectively. After that fact Halo 4 has FIFTY Spartan Ops campaigns headed its way, a fully-fledged multiplayer with tons of maps and game modes, and forge/theater.

Maybe someone doesn't care about online multiplayer, or doesn't have someone to play co-op with, so perhaps they will only play Halo 4 for the campaign, and return it to redbox, but can we really equalize World of Goo's and Halo 4's 9.0 scores objectively (lol?).

you comparison is poor. As a puzzle game of course it isn't as good the second time after you figured out all of the puzzles......

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 CaseyWegner

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

with the upcoming release of the wii u and the start of a new gaming generation, it's time to review the system wars metagame rules regarding whether or not the previously uncounted downloadable games (xbla and psn games, for example) should indeed count towards a system's exclusive game list and be considered as equal to any other retail game.

place your vote here as a "yes" or "no" to whether or not downloadable games should be included in the metagame. keep discussion to a minimum.

mods, if you'd be so kind, could you give this a sticky and help keep it on topic? i think two weeks should be enough time for everybody who is interested in voting to make their voice heard. the votes will be tallied at the end of the two weeks and the side with the highest number of votes will be considered the winner. if "no" is the winner, nothing will change and the metagame will proceed as it is.

SolidTy

They already were counting for PC all generation, even small games like Lone Survivor and Braid.

that's always been a bit of a messy, grey area simply based on the nature of the pc.

Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 Jonwh18

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

CaseyWegner

They already were counting for PC all generation, even small games like Lone Survivor and Braid.

that's always been a bit of a messy, grey area simply based on the nature of the pc.

its a bit of a messy grey area everywhere what ever happens it needs to be the same for every platform it either coutns or it doesn't. Addtional stipulations for somesystems but not others makes the meta unballanced

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 SolidTy

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

CaseyWegner

They already were counting for PC all generation, even small games like Lone Survivor and Braid (Counts for PC, doesn't count for PS360).

Unfortunately, it's even messier when we consider games released for $1 getting AA and AAA scores being compared with retail $60 games rated AA/AAA. Reviewers take price into consideration...

That's unfortunate as the entire generation people debated and directly compared the PC platform to console platforms, while the spreadsheet was omitting the exact same games from the consoles and giving the PC credit.

It is a messy, grey area, but it was too flawed to allow to continue for so, so long.It turned the metagame into a joke when PC was brought in to be compared. PC would have annihilated the consoles without the unfair help (multiplat Braid for instance) I'm sure, but unfortunately that's not the case, and the system was too flawed to enjoy like the beginning of the generation.

PC to console spreadsheet direct comparisons don't work currently, the system felt "rigged". The price problem is another hurdle.

Then there is the problem of multiplats getting GS reviews on a singular system, bolstering the count up for that single platform. While the logistics of this broken/rigged occurance make sense considering GS's limited resources to commit people to reviews, it broke the metagame even further on it's relance of GS reviewing games.

The metagame works though, when dealing with exclusives as the majority of the time, GS does seem to review those....but it does still force us to rely on the fact GS will or will not review certain games that get released.

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 Ly_the_Fairy

you comparison is poor. As a puzzle game of course it isn't as good the second time after you figured out all of the puzzles......

Jonwh18

And what is stopping developers from adding additional modes, and challenges to a puzzle game?

Farsendor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Farsendor1
Member since 2012 • 462 Posts

yes games are games

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
We should use Metacritic too instead of GS because 1. GS doesn't review all games which is specially noticeable with the PC while Metacritic has a score for almost every game since it doesn't rely on a particular reviewer reviewing it or not. 2. Metacritic gives a better estimate of how a game is regarded overall than just one site. An average of opinions is not perfect but neither are individual opinions. An average allows to go closer to a consensus.
Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 Jonwh18

[QUOTE="Jonwh18"]

Ly_the_Fairy

And what is stopping developers from adding additional modes, and challenges to a puzzle game?

jsut saying you should at least compare a DD puzzle game with a Retail puzzle game. Or a DD FPS with a Retail FPS.

like halo versus hybrid.

Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 Jonwh18

We should use Metacritic too instead of GS because 1. GS doesn't review all games which is specially noticeable with the PC while Metacritic has a score for almost every game since it doesn't rely on a particular reviewer reviewing it or not. 2. Metacritic gives a better estimate of how a game is regarded overall than just one site. An average of opinions is not perfect but neither are individual opinions. An average allows to go closer to a consensus.kuraimen
I agree except at what point in time do you use the score that a reviewer gave the game for something like spreadsheets?

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 CaseyWegner

We should use Metacritic too instead of GS because 1. GS doesn't review all games which is specially noticeable with the PC while Metacritic has a score for almost every game since it doesn't rely on a particular reviewer reviewing it or not. 2. Metacritic gives a better estimate of how a game is regarded overall than just one site. An average of opinions is not perfect but neither are individual opinions. An average allows to go closer to a consensus.kuraimen

not the place for this.

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 CaseyWegner

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

SolidTy

That's unfortunate as the entire generation people debated and directly compared the PC platform to console platforms, while the spreadsheet was omitting the exact same games from the consoles and giving the PC credit.

It is a messy, grey area, but it was too flawed to allow to continue for so, so long.It turned the metagame into a joke when PC was brought in to be compared. PC would have annihilated the consoles without the unfair help (multiplat Braid for instance) I'm sure, but unfortunately that's not the case, and the system was too flawed to enjoy like the beginning of the generation.

PC to console spreadsheet direct comparisons don't work currently, the system felt "rigged". The price problem is another hurdle.

Then there is the problem of multiplats getting GS reviews on a singular system, bolstering the count up for that single platform.

well, keep in mind that the metagame only counts exclusives so things like braid don't help the pc. judging by the reaction to this thread, the playing field is going to be levelled.

JohnnyCageMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 JohnnyCageMK
Member since 2012 • 4365 Posts

So much butthurt :lol:

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Ly_the_Fairy

[QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]

[QUOTE="Jonwh18"]

Jonwh18

jsut saying you should at least compare a DD puzzle game with a Retail puzzle game. Or a DD FPS with a Retail FPS.

like halo versus hybrid.

Well if that's the argument then maybe the entire metagame should be split up between every single different genre.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 themajormayor
Let's use A games as well
CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 CaseyWegner

Let's use A games as wellthemajormayor

also not the place for this.

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 kuraimen

[QUOTE="kuraimen"]We should use Metacritic too instead of GS because 1. GS doesn't review all games which is specially noticeable with the PC while Metacritic has a score for almost every game since it doesn't rely on a particular reviewer reviewing it or not. 2. Metacritic gives a better estimate of how a game is regarded overall than just one site. An average of opinions is not perfect but neither are individual opinions. An average allows to go closer to a consensus.Jonwh18

I agree except at what point in time do you use the score that a reviewer gave the game for something like spreadsheets?

I say one month is enough but it can be updated accordingly.
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 kuraimen
Let's use A games as wellthemajormayor
I agree. So we have three changes 1. DL games count 2. Metacritic instead of GS 3. A games count too Either all pass or none pass.
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 themajormayor

[QUOTE="themajormayor"]Let's use A games as wellCaseyWegner

also not the place for this.

That's what she said
JohnnyCageMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 JohnnyCageMK

I don't think so. Download games are reviewed with lower standards because they are so much cheaper.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 themajormayor
[QUOTE="themajormayor"]Let's use A games as wellkuraimen
I agree. So we have three changes 1. DL games count 2. Metacritic instead of GS 3. A games count too Either all pass or none pass.

The thing is not using A games is completely arbitrary whereas not using DL games is not. And using GS instead of MC is just stupid. But I'd say we wait until next gen just to make sure xbox 720 won't win something just because of these changes.
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 kuraimen

I don't think so. Download games are reviewed with lower standards because they are so much cheaper.

JohnnyCageMK
You are lower standards.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 SolidTy

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

CaseyWegner

Then there is the problem of multiplats getting GS reviews on a singular system, bolstering the count up for that single platform. While the logistics of this broken/rigged occurance make sense considering GS's limited resources to commit people to reviews, it broke the metagame even further on it's relance of GS reviewing games.

The metagame works though, when dealing with exclusives as the majority of the time, GS does seem to review those....but it does still force us to rely on the fact GS will or will not review certain games that get released.

well, keep in mind that the metagame only counts exclusives so things like braid don't help the pc. judging by the reaction to this thread, the playing field is going to be levelled.

There was confusion this gen as far too many users started trying to count AAAs, AAs, and As using the spreadsheet and comparing machines (PC, PS360, Wii). Unfortunately, this 'misuse of the spreadsheet' happened so much, and explaining the flaw became so tiresome that I opted to just ignore the threads, as I know others did.

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 kuraimen
[QUOTE="kuraimen"][QUOTE="themajormayor"]Let's use A games as wellthemajormayor

The thing is not using A games is completely arbitrary whereas not using DL games is not. And using GS instead of MC is just stupid. But I'd say we wait until next gen just to make sure xbox 720 won't win something just because of these changes.

Well next gen I think DL becomes more arbitrary since more games will release in DL than on retail but I agree with the rest.
Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 Jonwh18

[QUOTE="Jonwh18"]

[QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]

Ly_the_Fairy

like halo versus hybrid.

Well if that's the argument then maybe the entire metagame should be split up between every single different genre.

In theory but instead we use scores because SW is dead set on cross genre and cross platform comparisons.

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 CaseyWegner

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

SolidTy

There was confusion this gen as far too many users started trying to count AAAs, AAs, and As using the spreadsheet and comparing machines (PC, PW360, Wii). Unfortunately, it happened so much, and explaining the flaw became so tiresome that I opted to just ignore the threads, as I know others did.

not everybody plays the metagame and it's completely optional. there was only a problem when the metagame spilled over into the rest of the discussion here and vice versa.

Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 Jonwh18

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

CaseyWegner

There was confusion this gen as far too many users started trying to count AAAs, AAs, and As using the spreadsheet and comparing machines (PC, PW360, Wii). Unfortunately, it happened so much, and explaining the flaw became so tiresome that I opted to just ignore the threads, as I know others did.

not everybody plays the metagame and it's completely optional. there was only a problem when the metagame spilled over into the rest of the discussion here and vice versa.

if were going to have an offical spreadsheet then it needs to be accurate.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 themajormayor
Also 360 high scoring games should only count as much as 0.1 PS3 games because of the lower standards.
JohnnyCageMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 JohnnyCageMK

Also 360 high scoring games should only count as much as 0.1 PS3 games because of the lower standards.themajormayor

PS3 can't even handle Black Ops 2 without a texture pack :lol:

Sali217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#146 Sali217
Member since 2012 • 1301 Posts
Depends on the game, but things like Flower, Journey, or The Unfinished swan definitely yes.
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#147 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22676 Posts

abso-friggin-lutely... I can see that nobody factored DL games to be what they are in the beginning of this gen, but give them their due. Many are better and more unique than retail games.

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 CaseyWegner

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

Jonwh18

if were going to have an offical spreadsheet then it needs to be accurate.

i agree. however, the common misconception about the spreadsheet is that it was designed for the metagame. it wasn't. the spreadsheet is just a handy reference for people to use for whatever purpose they desire. for example, 7.0 games are on the spreadsheet but don't count towards the metagame.

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 CaseyWegner

[QUOTE="themajormayor"]Also 360 high scoring games should only count as much as 0.1 PS3 games because of the lower standards.JohnnyCageMK

PS3 can't even handle Black Ops 2 without a texture pack :lol:

that's quite enough. thank you.