System Wars Vote: Should downloadable games be counted for the metagame?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by CaseyWegner (70104 posts) -

with the upcoming release of the wii u and the start of a new gaming generation, it's time to review the system wars metagame rules regarding whether or not the previously uncounted downloadable games (xbla and psn games, for example) should indeed count towards a system's exclusive game list and be considered as equal to any other retail game.

place your vote here as a "yes" or "no" to whether or not downloadable games should be included in the metagame. keep discussion to a minimum.

mods, if you'd be so kind, could you give this a sticky and help keep it on topic? i think two weeks should be enough time for everybody who is interested in voting to make their voice heard. the votes will be tallied at the end of the two weeks and the side with the highest number of votes will be considered the winner. if "no" is the winner, nothing will change and the metagame will proceed as it is.

#2 Posted by CaseyWegner (70104 posts) -

yes

#3 Posted by Miroku32 (8666 posts) -
Yes. Like it or not for many developers it is more cheaper to only put the game on the digital store instead of going retail.
#4 Posted by freedomfreak (40901 posts) -
Yes.
#5 Posted by Thefatness16 (4672 posts) -

Yes. Would this effect the current metagame? Or is this only for next gen?

#6 Posted by darkspineslayer (19755 posts) -
I think they should count, but not on the same level as retail games. It would be like treating handheld games with console standards. In short, they should count as a separate thing.
#7 Posted by sandbox3d (5119 posts) -

Absolutely!

To be honest I have no idea why they were ever treated differently. Some of the most enjoyable games I played this gen were DL only. Hell, when I bought my 360 at launch, Geometry Wars was the most fun I had.

#8 Posted by Thefatness16 (4672 posts) -

I think they should count, but not on the same level as retail games. It would be like treating handheld games with console standards. In short, they should count as a separate thing.darkspineslayer

They already are.

#9 Posted by charizard1605 (58136 posts) -
Yes, I think they should count, especially since they do on PC. I also think handheld games (and handheld digital games) should count; do you want to make a thread for that too, Casey? I can make it if you want.
#10 Posted by mems_1224 (47244 posts) -
Yes, games are games. handheld games should count too.
#11 Posted by BPoole96 (22802 posts) -

Definitely. Games should just be counted as games. There is not point of making all these sub categories. I also think games rated 7.0+ should be counted in the metagme. I know they are a currently listed, but the "high scoring eclusive" qualifer only counts 8.0+.

#12 Posted by Wiimotefan (4078 posts) -

All games should count.

I don't know why SW this gen has mostly been PS3 vs. 360 retail games. Kind of boring if you ask me.

#13 Posted by CaseyWegner (70104 posts) -

Absolutely!

To be honest I have no idea why they were ever treated differently. Some of the most enjoyable games I played this gen were DL only. Hell, when I bought my 360 at launch, Geometry Wars was the most fun I had.

sandbox3d

when this was last decided, downloadable games weren't as complex and/or on par content-wise with most retail games. that has changed.

#14 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

Nice to see this, my answer is definitely yes!

#15 Posted by finalstar2007 (25276 posts) -

Ah little kids and their random numbers talk

but yes to be on topic

carry on kids

#16 Posted by darkspineslayer (19755 posts) -

[QUOTE="darkspineslayer"]I think they should count, but not on the same level as retail games. It would be like treating handheld games with console standards. In short, they should count as a separate thing.Thefatness16

They already do.

If your going to be picky, I'll change my answer to a flat out "yes" :P
#17 Posted by Floppy_Jim (25759 posts) -
I'll say no, keep the metagame as it is and have a seperate DL metagame. Then everyone's happy. Or no-one's happy, I don't care.
#18 Posted by PAL360 (26930 posts) -

They are not equal in size, but they are definitely equal in content and fun factor. I say yes.

#19 Posted by sandbox3d (5119 posts) -

but yes to be on topic

carry on kids

finalstar2007

irony.jpg

#20 Posted by santoron (7774 posts) -
Yes.
#21 Posted by Loegi (1692 posts) -
Yes.
#22 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (42971 posts) -
No, unless it's 19.99 or higher. A good game is a good game by any means regardless of the arbitrary numerical value placed upon it, however, fact remains that value plays a role in reviews--Journey, a two hour downloadable game, is not on the same level as Uncharted 3. Scores can be skewed because of this. I place the limitation on the price only because we have allowed PC game expansion priced as so be counted in the metagame, and I believe a $20 downloadable game can be compared to full retail games at times.
#23 Posted by freedomfreak (40901 posts) -

I don't know why SW this gen has mostly been PS3 vs. 360 retail games. Kind of boring if you ask me.

Wiimotefan
That's because they're very "on par" with each other. Games, sales, graphics, etc. Wii has a first party of its own with high scoring beasts. Not to mention the insane hardware sales. PC is....Well, it's the PC. No point in going to war against something that's out of your league. Hence why the 360 and ps3 are at eachothers throats the whole time.
#24 Posted by BPoole96 (22802 posts) -

but yes to be on topic

carry on kids

finalstar2007

Shouldn't you be babysitting all the children on Black Ops 2 right now?

#25 Posted by sandbox3d (5119 posts) -

[QUOTE="sandbox3d"]

Absolutely!

CaseyWegner

when this was last decided, downloadable games weren't as complex and/or on par content-wise with most retail games. that has changed.

True that, they have come a long way.

Anywyas, I'm all for it!

#26 Posted by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

Of course. There's no reason why they shouldn't. It shouldn't even be an issue needing a vote. They never should have been excluded in the first place.

#27 Posted by Sushiglutton (5328 posts) -
Don't follow the metagame rules so I won't vote :)
#28 Posted by Tynrils (40 posts) -
Yes. Journey is too good to not be counted.
#29 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16623 posts) -

Yes

Of course. There's no reason why they shouldn't. It shouldn't even be an issue needing a vote. They never should have been excluded in the first place.

the_bi99man

Apparently the majority voted no the last time this was brought up :s

#30 Posted by mccoyca112 (5433 posts) -

I abstain. Its a grey area to me right now.

#31 Posted by Wiimotefan (4078 posts) -

[QUOTE="Wiimotefan"]

freedomfreak

That's because they're very "on par" with each other. Games, sales, graphics, etc. Wii has a first party of its own with high scoring beasts. Not to mention the insane hardware sales. PC is....Well, it's the PC. No point in going to war against something that's out of your league. Hence why the 360 and ps3 are at eachothers throats the whole time.

Yeah, I get it. The battle for last place on even ground, it makes sense. Still very boring though. :P

#34 Posted by MLBknights58 (5015 posts) -

Games are games no matter the platform or means of distribution.

I vote yes.

#35 Posted by lundy86_4 (43526 posts) -

Yes.

#36 Posted by hoola (6422 posts) -

Yes, it is only reasonable considering how big digital distribution has become this generation for both console and PC.

#37 Posted by NoirLamia777 (2163 posts) -

Definitely yes.

#38 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (27866 posts) -
Yes.
#39 Posted by marklarmer (3883 posts) -

Yes, every genre has different standards/expectations anyway, and when you look at some of the games which do get included in the metagame i really don't see why downloadable games shouldn't.

#40 Posted by freedomfreak (40901 posts) -

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"][QUOTE="Wiimotefan"]

Wiimotefan

Yeah, I get it. The battle for last place on even ground, it makes sense. Still very boring though. :P

Yeah, pretty much :P
#41 Posted by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

Yes

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

R4gn4r0k

Apparently the majority voted no the last time this was brought up :s

Yeah, I know.:P

I honestly think it's because a bunch of my fellow PC gamers are actually worried that the playing field would get closer if DL games were counted on consoles. Which is stupid. Any real PC gamer knows we still have the largest amount, and highest quality games, no matter what gets counted for the consoles.

#42 Posted by Eddie-Vedder (7799 posts) -

All games count, but you can't lump 5$ arcade games with 60$ retail games.

So yes they should and do count, but no, you can't lump them together.

You have to be a tremendous moron to not see why, anyone in the world would rather have say 10AAA retail games over 15 or more AAA arcade titles. The diference in standards and depth is massive. The score might be the same but the quality is completly diferent. Anyone who denies this is just trolling.

#43 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
No. I think the metagame should be scrapped altogether and people should argue their points based on actual evidence, or at the very least, sound reasoning. Scores, especially after this generation and the fugue of review buying lingering in the air, and aggregated scores defeating the entire purpose of a reviewer assigning a game a score, are utterly useless. I haven't cared (with my wallet) about a game's score for years now, and prefer to discuss a game based on the actual content. It would slightly improve the quality of discussion here if we did away with the metagame altogether.
#44 Posted by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

It would slightly improve the quality of discussion here if we did away with the metagame altogether.Zeviander

Very true. But this is system wars. Who wants quality discussion?

#45 Posted by Gue1 (10192 posts) -

if it's a full fledged $50-60 game then YES but if it's a $15-20 downloable game then NO. If it comes as part of a collection like Journey, Flower and Flow then Yes.

#46 Posted by Eddie-Vedder (7799 posts) -

The TC missed the whole reason why they didn't/don't count.

They obviously count, you just can't lump them together with retail games. Everyone is going to say yes, because they should count, but what the TC is trying to backdoor is wether or not they should be lumped with the retail games. WHich this post will remind the TC is not in the OP and is not the question being asked.

So if that's what you're trying to do make a new thread and explain the question properly. Cause everyone is going to say yes they should count, but anyone that knows what they're talking about will say no they can't be lumped in the same group.

#47 Posted by sandbox3d (5119 posts) -

All games count, but you can't lump 5$ arcade games with 60$ retail games.

So yes they should and do count, but no, you can't lump them together.

You have to be a tremendous moron to not see why, anyone in the world would rather have say 10AAA retail games over 15 or more AAA arcade titles. The diference in standards and depth is massive. The score might be the same but the quality is completly diferent. Anyone who denies this is just trolling.

Eddie-Vedder

No way to throw a blanket on this one man.

I would rather have a game like Super Meat Boy than any number of Uncharteds.

I'm having more fun with Hotline Miami than any big budget "AAA" title I've played this year.

There are plenty of cheap little arcade titles that have more depth than an annual CoD release.

I dont think this is something you can just judge by price, or length.

#48 Posted by mems_1224 (47244 posts) -

if it's a full fledged $50-60 game then YES but if it's a $15-20 downloable game then NO. If it comes as part of a collection like Journey, Flower and Flow then Yes.

Gue1
:lol: so price is the only difference between a DL game that should count and shouldn't count?
#49 Posted by CaseyWegner (70104 posts) -

No. I think the metagame should be scrapped altogether and people should argue their points based on actual evidence, or at the very least, sound reasoning. Scores, especially after this generation and the fugue of review buying lingering in the air, and aggregated scores defeating the entire purpose of a reviewer assigning a game a score, are utterly useless. I haven't cared (with my wallet) about a game's score for years now, and prefer to discuss a game based on the actual content. It would slightly improve the quality of discussion here if we did away with the metagame altogether.Zeviander

the metagame has always been completely optional. it's just another way to go at system wars that's become quite popular.

#50 Posted by Animal-Mother (26962 posts) -

No as they are on a different standard as retail games.

I love HOME (Pc Horror indie title) one of my favorite games this year.

I love a lot of arcade/PSN titles better than full retail games.

But to throw these in the meta game for the systems.

I think they should be counted on their own merits.'

To say Journey Is better than Halo 4 is kind of absurd.