Steam Controller Prototype demonstration video

• 77 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

Here it is folks, Valve's Steam Controller got demoed in a video below.

What do you think?

15strong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 15strong
Member since 2007 • 2806 Posts

One of those products you need to experience yourself' like the Rift. But it looks like it has potential.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

From the crosshair movement you can already tell its leagues superior than regular controllers for shooters.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By IgGy621985

I'm surprised how well it works in Civ5 and CS. As @15strong says, you'll need to experience it yourself, but currently it seems to work a lot better than a regular controller.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5  Edited By Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

I'm very impressed by this controller so far. It seems way more precise for aiming which is a huuuuge deal. Let's take a couch game like GTA which is nice to play on TV and with a gamepad for the auxiliary activities. Having more precise aiming for the shooutouts would increase my enjoyment enormously.

The Steam pad will also be way more flexible in terms of input, which ofc opens up all kinds of posibilities. Anyway it's nice Valve is innovating when both Sony and MS were satisified with polishing. This could be a winner :D!

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

It seems like it actually works.

I'd like to see how Batman would work with it though.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#7 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

Looks brilliant. Picking one of these up for sure.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

I'm not sold on it really working as well as intended for the likes of CS:GO, but I'll pick it up.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#9 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

@PannicAtack said:

I'm not sold on it really working as well as intended for the likes of CS:GO, but I'll pick it up.

Most pc gamers will opt for mouse and keyboard for FPS. For older games though, it will save you having to muck around with programs like Xpadder with this things legacy mode. It seems to be about the only control pad that will actually work decently for strategy games (xbox360 pad sucks).

iHarlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By iHarlequin
Member since 2011 • 1928 Posts

Looks good. Then again, they'd have to try -really- hard to get worse than analog sticks.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

Gaben is like the modern day da Vinci

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

Very nice, it seems to be working well.

The aiming is much better and more precise than console controllers. Sony and Microsoft will now have to rethink about their controllers. This is Valve's first entry in hardware and they got it right.

Will definitely get this.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

@PannicAtack said:

Most pc gamers will opt for mouse and keyboard for FPS. For older games though, it will save you having to muck around with programs like Xpadder with this things legacy mode. It seems to be about the only control pad that will actually work decently for strategy games (xbox360 pad sucks).

Sounds like a good reason to get one. make it easier to use a controller for old games :)

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 IgGy621985

I think Valve completely owned every console manufacturer out there by making strategy games completely playable with a controller.

Also, @Couth_, valve engineers should get more credit about everything that happens around Steam Machines. Sure, Gaben gives "OK" to everything, but at the end of the day, he's only the CEO.

dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 dream431ca
Member since 2003 • 10165 Posts

Looks great!

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts

Seems like you'd still want to use a standard controller for most games, this should serve nicely as a controller replacement for games that are impossible on a gamepad though.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

@IgGy621985: ONLY the CEO .. Only the CEO :\

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

I'm interested in seeing if you can adjust the sensitivity on the thing, pretty sure you could just like a mouse I'd imagine.

Because it took him several thumb swipes to turn around and aim in some spots. Counterstrike was noticeably slower compared to say if I'd played the training area. It'll be interesting to see how the ps4/ xbox controller stacks up to this considering the refinements they have made, especially on Sony's end.

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

Works great on the stuff I always knew it would. I want to see it on fighters, action games, and titles that critically rely on near-constant use of the face buttons.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 IgGy621985

@Couth_:

Yeah, only the CEO.

haberman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 haberman13
Member since 2003 • 2414 Posts

Looks amazing!

Precision finally makes it's way into a controller.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#22  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I'm impressed. It reminds me of trackballs from long ago. But slightly less uncomfortable, and with the ability to hold a direction for the cursor/screen to move there. So it's like a trackball/mouse hybrid.

Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

Wooow, this does look interesting, like literally very interesting. I guess it was a natural evolution for valve to want to enter that console space, hopefully their arrival can inject a nice bit of innovation into that space as this controller does look really radical and i definately wana try it out

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

@Jankarcop said:

From the crosshair movement you can already tell its leagues superior than regular controllers for shooters.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

@Senor_Kami said:

Works great on the stuff I always knew it would. I want to see it on fighters, action games, and titles that critically rely on near-constant use of the face buttons.

Yep, that's what I'm waiting to see.

I play all my PC games at my desk, but there are a few choice games I would like a controller for like many of the 2D games that make their way to Steam.

There are some shmups, and platformers I'm interested in buying if I only had a functional controller (my old one broke). I'm waiting on the new consoles to release before buying one.

Would love to see the Steam controller work well with those types of games. That way I don't have to settle a DS4 or Xbox One controller that only has functional use with a small library of games. Steam controller looks like it could be great for just about any type of game, and probably has uses outside of gaming as well.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

@WilliamRLBaker: He's 100% correct. Sticks SUCK for FPS games.

It's why devs need to paint giant hit boxes and use aim assist/auto aim, and sometimes even resort to less enemies on the screen at one time on consoles.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

a true next gen gamepad not the reskinned crap MS and Sony are tacking on to their console. You can tell they put thought into making their controller new, advanced, yet still practical. While Sony and MS were still trying to copy nintendo with motion controls and leaving their regular controller the same with little change, valve was coming up with a way to make the gamepad on par with M/KB. Kudos to them. I will be getting one of these. If only I could hook it up to my PS4/xbone.

xh117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By xh117
Member since 2013 • 152 Posts

Doesn't seem like it has enough buttons to replace a keyboard, it would be hard to play a mmo on that thing.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@xh117 said:

Doesn't seem like it has enough buttons to replace a keyboard, it would be hard to play a mmo on that thing.

With a programmable touch screen, you could easily fit all the hotkeys on there.

-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#30 -RPGamer-
Member since 2002 • 34283 Posts

I'm not sure I like how much swiping I see going on, specifically in the FPS titles.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#31  Edited By GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

@NFJSupreme said:

If only I could hook it up to my PS4/xbone.

Never lose hope.

MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MK-Professor
Member since 2009 • 4214 Posts

Let me get this straight

PC have k/m(best control scheme), Steam Controller(best controller), and console controllers.

Consoles have some crappy controllers?

-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By -RPGamer-

@MK-Professor: I'm not sure how the console controllers are considered crappy? I mean they're so crappy that gamers have even started using them on the PC this generation. And the press that have used the X1 and PS4 controllers have been praising them the vast majority of the time.

Again missing the "crappy" part...

Consternated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Consternated
Member since 2013 • 848 Posts

@-RPGamer- said:

@MK-Professor: I'm not sure how the console controllers are considered crappy? I mean they're so crappy that gamers have even started using them on the PC this generation. And the press that have used the X1 and PS4 controllers have been praising them the vast majority of the time.

Ahh, the new forums hurt my eyes :(

That's because not every PC gamer has a wheel for racing games, and sports games just aren't as fun on the KBAM setup. The controller is just flat out better suited to certain things, but for any genre that requires accuracy (FPS especially), the current controllers are just left wanting.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#35  Edited By GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

@MK-Professor said:

Let me get this straight

PC have k/m(best control scheme), Steam Controller(best controller), and console controllers.

Consoles have some crappy controllers?

Gamepad/Mouse > Keyboard/Mouse (FPS, RTS, MMO) = Steam Controller (Action) > Traditional controllers

-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By -RPGamer-

@Consternated said:

@-RPGamer- said:

That's because not every PC gamer has a wheel for racing games, and sports games just aren't as fun on the KBAM setup. The controller is just flat out better suited to certain things, but for any genre that requires accuracy (FPS especially), the current controllers are just left wanting.

This depends on what gamers want out of there FPS. I'll be honest and say I like FPS on controllers, but then again I play campaigns and I expect them to be difficult based on their combat scenarios, and not on how well I can aim directly at an enemies weak point.

Consternated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Consternated
Member since 2013 • 848 Posts

@-RPGamer- said:

@Consternated said:

@-RPGamer- said:

This depends on what gamers want out of there FPS. I'll be honest and say I like FPS on controllers, but then again I play campaigns and I expect them to be difficult based on their combat scenarios, and not on how well I can aim directly at an enemies weak point.

True enough. I like to compare it to racing... What would I rather race with? A well designed track car, or a ford transit? Both will get you around the track, but only one will set a decent lap time :p

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Damn, that actually looks impressive. Surprised how well it seems to work

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#39  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

The accuracy seems to be countered by speed limitations.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

@BranKetra said:

and its still leagues ahead of console controllers for shooters and any precision game.

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts

Functional, but its still fugly.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

I still wish there was a nub to place my thumbs on, a big part of the experience for me on consoles or even PC gaming is having that feel of a joystick and the slight resistance it has on it.

Unless there's something I'm missing here, maybe there is I obviously haven't had hands on with this thing.

Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

@Jankarcop said:

@BranKetra said:

and its still leagues ahead of console controllers for shooters and any precision game.

That remains to be seen though since none of us have actually used the controller to see what the trade offs are. I am skeptical that the Steam controller is without its own set of flaws just like every product on the market. However i would definately give Valve A for effort due to the radical nature of this controller and it does seem very interesting, but then again, i think there would be patent rights if they tried to copy the already existing controllers, no?. This way they can differentiate themselves from the available platforms, it does have me excited

Elitro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Elitro
Member since 2009 • 578 Posts

Seems really promising.

Now all they need is a Dota2 demonstration and i'm sold xD

jk, but i'm definately trying it out for the shooters

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 branketra

@Jankarcop said:

@BranKetra said:

The speed that player was lining shots was slower than I am used to when using a mouse and a console controller, so it does not really matter that the Steampad is more accurate if it is slower than what is adequate.

tubbyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By tubbyc
Member since 2005 • 4004 Posts

Besides the frequent swiping, another possible weakness mentioned by a developer:-

"The Steam Controller's weakness: I think analog sticks are better at defining boundaries -- for instance, I can mash a stick forward as far as I physically can, and I know I'm going to walk forward as quickly as I can. I just can't push it forward any further. The trackpads require more finesse; my thumbs will have to learn where to stop."

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/28/steam-controller-dev-reactions/

But it does have the haptic feedback to make it all feel more physical. It will be interesting to find out how effective it is.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

@BranKetra said:

The speed that player was lining shots was slower than I am used to when using a mouse and a console controller, so it does not really matter that the Steampad is more accurate if it is slower than what is adequate.

Because you're well bloody used to them by now. This controller is brand new and like nothing else in the gamepad market, it's gonna take a bit of practice to get good with it.

This seems to give you more direct control at every nuance of the movement. Sticks are prone to over and under aiming at the compromise of deadzones

This controller interests me greatly because I hate analog sticks for any sort of precision after playing with a mouse for so long, I do like a stick better for movement though

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@tubbyc said:

Besides the frequent swiping, another possible weakness mentioned by a developer:-

"The Steam Controller's weakness: I think analog sticks are better at defining boundaries -- for instance, I can mash a stick forward as far as I physically can, and I know I'm going to walk forward as quickly as I can. I just can't push it forward any further. The trackpads require more finesse; my thumbs will have to learn where to stop."

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/28/steam-controller-dev-reactions/

But it does have the haptic feedback to make it all feel more physical. It will be interesting to find out how effective it is.

Indeed. The haptic feedback is there specifically to give players an idea of where their thumb is moving. Seeing the Valve worker demonstrate the controller - it looks completely intuitive and easy to me. I could see myself out-doing console controllers with ease with the kind of precision it's offering.

barrybarryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 barrybarryk
Member since 2012 • 488 Posts

As much as I like the idea, as a long time PC gamer, I can easily say the only controller I've ever used that came close (and to be honest, really close) to the sort of accuracy and speed you get with a mouse and keyboard was a Wiimote. It might sound mental but the Wiimote pointer controls were really fast and accurate for moving a cursor around a screen and aiming. I had hoped Sony's PS move would replicate that kind of responsiveness on some more powerful hardware, but the PS Move wound up having awful support and being pretty expensive so people wouldn't take a chance on it.

If you have a Wiimote laying around and a bluetooth adapter for your PC, try out some of the games that have been modded for it, it's surprisingly good. It's still not mouse and keyboard responsive, but it is in the ballpark.

I just don't think Valve's track pad approach is going to be enough, I thought they would have went with a design / tech similar to the Razer Hydra after having worked with them on the Portal 2 motion DLC pack, but who knows maybe the follow up to the Hydra (Sixense STEM Controller) will catch on next year, it's passed it's Kickstarter goal so it will get released at least.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 branketra

@seanmcloughlin said:

@BranKetra said:

Because you're well bloody used to them by now. This controller is brand new and like nothing else in the gamepad market, it's gonna take a bit of practice to get good with it.

This seems to give you more direct control at every nuance of the movement. Sticks are prone to over and under aiming at the compromise of deadzones

This controller interests me greatly because I hate analog sticks for any sort of precision after playing with a mouse for so long, I do like a stick better for movement though

In any case, this needs to be proven it can handle speeds necessary for fun gameplay.

@barrybarryk said:

As much as I like the idea, as a long time PC gamer, I can easily say the only controller I've ever used that came close (and to be honest, really close) to the sort of accuracy and speed you get with a mouse and keyboard was a Wiimote. It might sound mental but the Wiimote pointer controls were really fast and accurate for moving a cursor around a screen and aiming. I had hoped Sony's PS move would replicate that kind of responsiveness on some more powerful hardware, but the PS Move wound up having awful support and being pretty expensive so people wouldn't take a chance on it.

If you have a Wiimote laying around and a bluetooth adapter for your PC, try out some of the games that have been modded for it, it's surprisingly good. It's still not mouse and keyboard responsive, but it is in the ballpark.

I just don't think Valve's track pad approach is going to be enough, I thought they would have went with a design / tech similar to the Razer Hydra after having worked with them on the Portal 2 motion DLC pack, but who knows maybe the follow up to the Hydra (Sixense STEM Controller) will catch on next year, it's passed

it's Kickstarter goal

so it will get released at least.

That is the future of gaming.