Sony's Biggest Mistake is still not fixed

• 112 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts
Wasn't the BC with 80gbs emulation(Emotions chip) based instead of hardware?
LOXO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 LOXO7
Member since 2008 • 5595 Posts

[QUOTE="LOXO7"]So you think having the PS2 and PS3 run the same games would make more money?lundy86_4

I'm saying it's not possible to know whether or not keeping the PS2 on the market with a lack of BC for the PS3 makes more or less money for Sony. Hence why I called it a hypothesis.

I'm failing to understand the confusion, nor why we are still debating this point.

It better be possible to know for Sony. Lol. Or otherwise their moves are just coin tosses. The correct answer is no. Having PS2 with its own price/games and PS3 with its own price/games will make more money. Really to Sony their BC add-on is $99.

Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Javy03
Member since 2006 • 6886 Posts

[QUOTE="Miroku32"]Why add BC if they can sell old games in HD with trophy support? likeabrick

cuz whats the point of buying the game digitally, when you have it already.

its a sleezy move. you shouldn't have to buy the same game twice

You don't have to buy the same game twice, if you want trophies or better graphics you can buy the DISK version of GOW collection, Sly Cooper and SOTC/ICO. If that doesn't interest you keep your games and the console you play them on.
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#54 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
I used to care a lot more about BC, but now that the PS2 games in my collection are becoming increasingly distant memories, and they are starting to re-release HD versions of PS2 games, it's not much of an issue. Really, the only reason I keep my old 60GB around is so I can play the MGS games, and since they announced Snake Eater on 3DS, I'm not even sure I need that anymore. BC is a lot more important when a console first hits the shelves, imo.
DJ_Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 DJ_Magneto
Member since 2008 • 4675 Posts
Every single PS3 on the market is backwards compatablecarlisledavid79
Wrong.
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#56 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61544 Posts

It better be possible to know for Sony. Lol. Or otherwise their moves are just coin tosses. The correct answer is no. Having PS2 with its own price/games and PS3 with its own price/games will make more money. Really to Sony their BC add-on is $99.

LOXO7

That's not what I was saying, and that's more than implied within the context of our conversation.

Please provide proof as to your assertions, and also take into account costs of manufacturing, overhead for manufacturing each system etc, etc.

Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Javy03
[QUOTE="carlisledavid79"]Every single PS3 on the market is backwards compatableDJ_Magneto
Wrong.

Your wrong, they ALL play PS1 games. It's the PS2 BC that varies by model.
DJ_Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 DJ_Magneto
[QUOTE="DJ_Magneto"][QUOTE="carlisledavid79"]Every single PS3 on the market is backwards compatableJavy03
Wrong.

Your wrong, they ALL play PS1 games. It's the PS2 BC that varies by model.

Ah, fine, call me on that. But when most people have concerns about PS3 backwards compatibility, 99% of the time, they are referring to PS2 BC.
Avatar image for carlisledavid79
carlisledavid79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 carlisledavid79
Member since 2006 • 10522 Posts
[QUOTE="carlisledavid79"]Every single PS3 on the market is backwards compatableDJ_Magneto
Wrong.

Every single PS3 plays PS1 games, am I wrong on that point ? My point remains valid that each and every PS3 on the market is indeed backwards compatable.
Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Javy03
I used to care a lot more about BC, but now that the PS2 games in my collection are becoming increasingly distant memories, and they are starting to re-release HD versions of PS2 games, it's not much of an issue. Really, the only reason I keep my old 60GB around is so I can play the MGS games, and since they announced Snake Eater on 3DS, I'm not even sure I need that anymore. BC is a lot more important when a console first hits the shelves, imo. donalbane
I agree that BC is more important in the beginning of a systems life cycle. Mainly because the old console is still being supported, there are a few games you still wanna pick up even though you have moved on to the new system, like GOWII soon after PS3 was out, and your wait for big game releases is usually longer in the beginning of the new consoles life cycle as well. After a couple of years you are now used to the new consoles features, graphics etc., and going back to the previous console and it's games is harder when you have all these new releases on one or more of your new consoles. I miss out on awesome PS3 games because I don't have enough time, I def. can't spend my time on old PS2 games, unless it's to relive a classic favorite like MGS, GOW, ICO/SOTC and Psyconauts. If MGS and Psyconauts get an HD remix I won't need BC.
gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#61 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

By reading the comments, I guess some people will be fine if the PS4 didn't have PS3 BC. That's pretty crazy to me. Whether it's full or minimal, I think BC should be a standard for a new gaming system Having BC is an advantage in my opinion.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

my 60 gig launch rocks and all but tbo it only mattered for the 1st couple of years while the library was thin.

if i was a new ps3 buyer i prolly would not care anymore.

Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Javy03

Ah, fine, call me on that. But when most people have concerns about PS3 backwards compatibility, 99% of the time, they are referring to PS2 BC.DJ_Magneto

True, but the point most people are making is that obviously BC isn't that important because people ignore the BC the PS3 currently has and when it supported PS2 games people didn't care. They wanted any feature under the sun to be removed so they could get a cheaper PS3 and when PS2 BC was dropped and the price dropped to 300 the PS3's sales took off and still are. Then Sony creates these HD remix which are so far iseasy money and a big hit with consumers.

People will always complain and you can't make everyone happy but PS2 BC is way past it's relevance stage.

LOXO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 LOXO7

[QUOTE="LOXO7"]

lundy86_4

That's not what I was saying, and that's more than implied within the context of our conversation.

Please provide proof as to your assertions, and also take into account costs of manufacturing, overhead for manufacturing each system etc, etc.

I don't know how much they are saving when taking out the emulation program. And neither do you. If it's more than $99 a system then you might be on to something. But if its not... Sony. makes. more. money. with. PS2. games. being. played. only. by. the. PS2. system.

Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Javy03

By reading the comments, I guess some people will be fine if the PS4 didn't have PS3 BC. That's pretty crazy to me. Whether it's full or minimal, I think BC should be a standard for a new gaming system Having BC is an advantage in my opinion.

gago-gago
I would love the PS4 to have BC and if it did I would snag a launch one like I did with the PS3 to ensure I keep it but overall I can always just keep my current PS3 and it's games. BC is not make or break for me and I wouldn't invest in a PS4 to play PS3 games.
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 lundy86_4  Online

I don't know how much they are saving when taking out the emulation program. And neither do you. If it's more than $99 a system then you might be on to something. But if its not... Sony. makes. more. money. with. PS2. games. being. played. only. by. the. PS2. system.

LOXO7

I was talking about the removal of the *hardware* BC. Removing software naturally would do little to reduce costs.

Explain your assertion please. Are you stating that removing PS3 BC's furthers the need for people to buy PS2's, and thus Sony makes more money? That is the point I am debating against -- though I called your original hypothesis a valid one. I asked you simply to prove that Sony makes more money by keeping the PS2 and PS3 on the market, rather than removing the PS2 from the market (or taking away the need to buy new PS2's) and keeping BC in the PS3. It's difficult to know if they would make more mone, due to going beyond the PS2 production costs, and into things such as overhead with running the facility and paying the workers/bills etc.

Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Javy03

LOXO7

Why, if PS3 having PS2 BC would increase software sales of PS2 gameswhich is whereSony/MS/Nintendo get most of their money wouldn't it be safe to say that Sony would make more money WITH the PS3 and PS2 playing PS2 games. Right now Sony makes more money reselling you HD versions of your PS2 games and when BC was cut most likely it saved them some money on parts (for the chip BC) and labor (for the software emulation maintenance).

ianuilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 ianuilliam
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts

Wrong.

No, it's actually right. All PS3 models have PS1 backwards compatibility, both with the PSOne Classics on PSN, and with actual disc-based PS1 games.

ianuilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 ianuilliam
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

[QUOTE="LOXO7"]

LOXO7

Even the software emulation BC models had some ps2 hardware in them. The Launch 20 and 60 gb models had both the ps2 cpu and gpu crammed in. The 80 gb software emulation models removed the ps2 cpu, but still had the gpu. So yes, removing the bc from the "software bc" models, they did cut manufacturing cost. How much is anyone's guess.

LOXO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 LOXO7

[QUOTE="LOXO7"]

lundy86_4

I was talking about the removal of the *hardware* BC. Removing software naturally would do little to reduce costs.

Explain your assertion please. Are you stating that removing PS3 BC's furthers the need for people to buy PS2's, and thus Sony makes more money? That is the point I am debating against -- though I called your original hypothesis a valid one. I asked you simply to prove that Sony makes more money by keeping the PS2 and PS3 on the market, rather than removing the PS2 from the market (or taking away the need to buy new PS2's) and keeping BC in the PS3. It's difficult to know if they would make more mone, due to going beyond the PS2 production costs, and into things such as overhead with running the facility and paying the workers/bills etc.

Then maybe I am misusing this article from Joystiq. They say Sony removed the Hardware that was used to run PS2 games and placed in the new emulation Software to run games. Now PS3 removed the emulation stuff because they don't have BC anymore. I don't know how much this was. But I know how much the PS2 is. Overhead? I think that's taking it a bit far, because if we know how much they saved by taking out the "software" according it Joystiq and we know how much the PS2 is. Then we can make a correct statement. Are you saying if BC was hardware then the line in the factory doesn't need such and such machines to insert the BC hardware and such and such employees to fix such and such machines. That's taking it way to far.

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#71 StealthMonkey4
Member since 2009 • 7434 Posts

They gave the original ones BC. If the PS3 launched for $200-$300, then it would have much higher overall sales, I think their biggest mistake was pricing.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

I bought a PS3 to play current gen games

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 lundy86_4  Online

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

[QUOTE="LOXO7"]

LOXO7

Then maybe I am misusing this article from Joystiq. They say Sony removed the Hardware that was used to run PS2 games and placed in the new emulation Software to run games. Now PS3 removed the emulation stuff because they don't have BC anymore. I don't know how much this was. But I know how much the PS2 is. Overhead? I think that's taking it a bit far, because if we know how much they saved by taking out the "software" according it Joystiq and we know how much the PS2 is. Then we can make a correct statement. Are you saying if BC was hardware then the line in the factory doesn't need such and such machines to insert the BC hardware and such and such employees to fix such and such machines. That's taking it way to far.

What am I taking too far? All these are factors in production costs. The article specifies that they would start using the less expensive option (software BC), which kind of indicates a move to reduce the cost of PS3 reduction.

I'm afraid i'm having trouble following your points. They seem fairly incoherent.

DJ_Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 DJ_Magneto

[QUOTE="DJ_Magneto"][QUOTE="carlisledavid79"]Every single PS3 on the market is backwards compatableianuilliam

Wrong.

No, it's actually right. All PS3 models have PS1 backwards compatibility, both with the PSOne Classics on PSN, and with actual disc-based PS1 games.

This has been pointed out sarcastically by a few people already. I understand that, but when anyone voices their concerns about the backwards compatibility of the PS3, most people are talking about PS2 BC. And if you read what the TC posted and the early comments, you would see that he's referring to PS2 BC.
johny300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 johny300
Member since 2010 • 12496 Posts
Doesn't matter i have a ps2 and it's good because we get to have HD collections.
D00nut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#76 D00nut
Member since 2003 • 7618 Posts

PS2 is still doing well, so the company has a good reason to keep at it. It's not like the Xbox has much in its library for backwards compatibility. Heck, I'm still waiting for Conker: Live and Reloaded to be made backwards compatible.

LOXO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 LOXO7

[QUOTE="LOXO7"]

Javy03

Why, if PS3 having PS2 BC would increase software sales of PS2 gameswhich is whereSony/MS/Nintendo get most of their money wouldn't it be safe to say that Sony would make more money WITH the PS3 and PS2 playing PS2 games. Right now Sony makes more money reselling you HD versions of your PS2 games and when BC was cut most likely it saved them some money on parts (for the chip BC) and labor (for the software emulation maintenance).

The PS2 is a $99 add-on I like to say. That's what you are saying + $99. I know I read your previous posts. And Sony will/does make even MORE money to resell DD versions. They won't even have to place PS2 BC back in the PS3, which I hope they will. Because I don't want to have to buy the PS2, again.

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 MFDOOM1983

PS2 is still doing well, so the company has a good reason to keep at it. It's not like the Xbox has much in its library for backwards compatibility. Heck, I'm still waiting for Conker: Live and Reloaded to be made backwards compatible.

D00nut
Odd, i played conker live and reloaded years ago on a 360.
D00nut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#79 D00nut
Member since 2003 • 7618 Posts

[QUOTE="D00nut"]

MFDOOM1983

Oh did they finally do it? It's been awhile since I checked, and I had pretty much given up hope for it happening. Good news, then, I should go find myself a copy. I really dug the MP on that game, but the Xbox servers are shut down now... sad days :(

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 MFDOOM1983

[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"][QUOTE="D00nut"]

D00nut

Oh did they finally do it? It's been awhile since I checked, and I had pretty much given up hope for it happening. Good news, then, I should go find myself a copy. I really dug the MP on that game, but the Xbox servers are shut down now... sad days :(

Well, it has been bc certified since 07.
coolkid93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#81 coolkid93
Member since 2007 • 6749 Posts
Where was you when the ps3 first came out? The first and second generation ps3s had BC (60GB/80GBs that did have it). They took it out after that. It would've been great if they did keep the BC. But then yet the ps2 is still out so they could've took it out to get some sales on the PS2 and then the prices was getting lowered. The ps2 is still a good console and not everybody can afford the ps3.
Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#82 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

i like all the playstations, but besides the $599 no dualshock 3 launch, and bunch of dissapointments like haze and lair, the worst mistake they ever did was not give the PS3 backward compatability. If they did, then I think Sony still mightve been in 1st place. just bad marketing, I could've made saved sony millions if I was a marketing managerlikeabrick

The PS3 didhave BC. The PS2 BC was removed so they could lower cost of production and lower price of the console.

Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#83 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

The PS3 had Backwards compatibility... and it's something I use frequently.

If BC was important to you, you would have bought a PS3 when it was released.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

This thread is the biggest mistake. And Sony's biggest mistake was not releasing the PS3 at the same time as the 360 and pricing it the same as the 360.

Kan0nF0dder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Kan0nF0dder
Member since 2009 • 1962 Posts
I have 60gb PS3, I was obsessed with making sure I had BC, but now I have it I hardly use it - there's so many new games to play, and 3D-action games don't age very well. I spend more time playing old SNES games than PS2 games.
Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

This thread is the biggest mistake. And Sony's biggest mistake was not releasing the PS3 at the same time as the 360 and pricing it the same as the 360.

clr84651

The PS3 arguably didn't have any "must own" games until 2008. Releasing it any earlier would've made things worse.

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#87 Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts

i like all the playstations, but besides the $599 no dualshock 3 launch, and bunch of dissapointments like haze and lair, the worst mistake they ever did was not give the PS3 backward compatability. If they did, then I think Sony still mightve been in 1st place. just bad marketing, I could've made saved sony millions if I was a marketing managerlikeabrick

360 doesn't have perfect backwards compatibility either. luckily I got myself an 80gb MGS4 bundle model on midnight release so I've still be able to enjoy playing them on my PS3 with the PS/PS2 HD upscaler :] I actually use it quite often. Still have a huge backlog of ps2 games. Just recently rebeat ICO, SOTC, Zone of the Enders: the 2nd runner, and have quite a few of the final fantasys/Shin Megami Tensei games I have to beat.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

It came with BC, in fact one of its biggest touting points was that it had near full BC while the 360 had very limited BC. Even now you can find a 60gb PS3 if you look and it has BC.

You know what's the last game I played on my PS3? I played Manhunt.

Jeez, SW topics that are misinformed aren't too new, but this thread sets a new low bar. Its also the 2nd time I've said this today, sadly.

Avatar image for -ArchAngeL-777-
-ArchAngeL-777-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#89 -ArchAngeL-777-
Member since 2007 • 3840 Posts
BC is beyond overrated. I have a launch 60GB and have rarely used the BC function. I used it a decent amount in the first year of PS3 when the library was suffering. That changed as of fall that year. I have only used BC a couple of times since. With PS2's being only $100, its not worth Sony putting it and the extra cost into PS3. Besides, Sony has decided to start making more money by releasing PS2 collections in HD.
Kane04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Kane04
Member since 2006 • 2115 Posts

The PS3 had BC, and for quite a while. It was removed to drive down the costs of the console.

lundy86_4
I dont get it, i know in USA and Japan it actually had some PS2 hardware in it for the BC. But my Euro 60GB launch model used software to emulate the games, i remember out of the box 98% of my games didnt work, but in the following months they started working with every new firmware update. IMO they just quit it to keep selling PS2s, where i live you can still find them around which is amazing really, but come on Sony, quit it, i wanna buy a new slim but i want BC, trow that and i'll get the GT5 bundle, deal? :P
hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#91 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
I think people dont care about BC at this point. Bc was popular early on when the console lacked games but it's not really needed now.MFDOOM1983
I totally agrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee since ps2 is cheap... get a stand alone ps2
Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Mystic-G
Member since 2006 • 6462 Posts

Sony removed BC when they realized they can make a profit re-selling the games on PSN. It was a business decision, not a mistake.

Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#93 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

It came with BC, in fact one of its biggest touting points was that it had near full BC while the 360 had very limited BC. Even now you can find a 60gb PS3 if you look and it has BC.

You know what's the last game I played on my PS3? I played Manhunt.

Jeez, SW topics that are misinformed aren't too new, but this thread sets a new low bar. Its also the 2nd time I've said this today, sadly.

SPYDER0416

Dude! Did you use a USB headset with Manhunt? Was that cool, or what?

I wish games from this gen did what PS2 SOCOM and Manhunt did. :(

themyth01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 themyth01
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts
++ you're quite right. Sony keeps shooting themselves on the foot. If you check the most wanted features on Sony website a few weeks back, BC was one of the top wanted features.
hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 hippiesanta

[QUOTE="clr84651"]

Lionheart08

The PS3 arguably didn't have any "must own" games until 2008. Releasing it any earlier would've made things worse.

this I agreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee too
hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 hippiesanta
The best part of reselling PS1 game on PSN ===== the game like FF7, MGS1 are region free......unlike it's disc cousin that get scratch
_SWAG_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 _SWAG_
Member since 2009 • 2674 Posts

sony knows what theyre doing and they see the future. bc is so last gen its time to move forward. but i hope sony will add bc to psn+ subscribers to those who really wants it that bad. hardly anyone wants bc for the ps3 anymore and i hope there wont be ps3 bc in the ps4

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 lundy86_4  Online

sony knows what theyre doing and they see the future. bc is so last gen its time to move forward. but i hope sony will add bc to psn+ subscribers to those who really wants it that bad. hardly anyone wants bc for the ps3 anymore and i hope there wont be ps3 bc in the ps4

_SWAG_

How can you quantify "hardly anyone" within that statement?

Kane04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Kane04
Member since 2006 • 2115 Posts

[QUOTE="_SWAG_"]

(...)hardly anyone wants bc for the ps3 anymore and i hope there wont be ps3 bc in the ps4

lundy86_4

How can you quantify "hardly anyone" within that statement?

Yeah specially after this...
(...)If you check the most wanted features on Sony website a few weeks back, BC was one of the top wanted features. themyth01
And i want the PS4 to have BC, betting loads of other people do to.
Brownesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Brownesque
Member since 2005 • 5660 Posts

The PS3 had BC, and for quite a while. It was removed to drive down the costs of the console.

Where have you been?

lundy86_4
I frankly don't see how removing software backwards compatibility (which the 80 GB 4 USB system had) reduces costs.