Sony's Biggest Mistake is still not fixed

• 112 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

likeabrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 likeabrick
Member since 2010 • 135 Posts
i like all the playstations, but besides the $599 no dualshock 3 launch, and bunch of dissapointments like haze and lair, the worst mistake they ever did was not give the PS3 backward compatability. If they did, then I think Sony still mightve been in 1st place. just bad marketing, I could've made saved sony millions if I was a marketing manager
6matt6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 6matt6
Member since 2005 • 9726 Posts
I have a launch 60gb PS3 but I agree its bull they didnt include it in other consoles.
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61511 Posts

The PS3 had BC, and for quite a while. It was removed to drive down the costs of the console.

Where have you been?

glenn2709

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 glenn2709
Member since 2005 • 1719 Posts
The reason Sony is not including bc is because the PS2 is still selling ...
OneLazyAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 OneLazyAsian
Member since 2009 • 1715 Posts

i like all the playstations, but besides the $599 no dualshock 3 launch, and bunch of dissapointments like haze and lair, the worst mistake they ever did was not give the PS3 backward compatability. If they did, then I think Sony still mightve been in 1st place. just bad marketing, I could've made saved sony millions if I was a marketing managerlikeabrick

BC, BC, BC. If Sony did give you BC, then you and many others would still complain about the price. BC or $300 price tag. Choose. You can't have both.

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

doesnt bother me too much...happy with whats on offer this gen even tho i do sometimes like to have a quick shot of old games they tend to be games from the PS1 and the megadrive tho.

And PS3 has PS1 backwards compatability btw :P which imo had more games i loved.

drufeous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 drufeous
Member since 2004 • 2535 Posts

I have a 60gig launch and thought I would use the BC a ton but I really don't use it at all.

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts
I think people dont care about BC at this point. Bc was popular early on when the console lacked games but it's not really needed now.
Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Filthybastrd
Member since 2009 • 7124 Posts

It's funny that these forums contain both the notion that 2007 games are really old hat and that B/C is probably the single most important feature of any console ever.

So as stated above my post:

BC BC BC BC blablaarglebargle. You would'nt get past the graphics anyway.

Edit: I suppose it's worthy of mention that the ps3 did in fact have it. Turned out people would rather have cheaper, B/C'less treys.

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 razgriz_101

I think people dont care about BC at this point. Bc was popular early on when the console lacked games but it's not really needed now.MFDOOM1983

exactly to begin with i did play my ps2 more tilli gota more substantial collection and cough*cod4*cough.

_SWAG_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 _SWAG_
Member since 2009 • 2674 Posts

i disagree. sony hasnt made a mistake all gen this gen, well actually they had one mistake and thats not having enough ps3s for everyone its still in high demand. if you want to play ps2 games buy a ps2. hd remakes of ps2 games with trophies is better anyways. i hope they do the same thing for the ps4 and not have ps3 bc so they can remake it and make it better and ever with more trophies

likeabrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 likeabrick

the fact that u couldn't play ure ps2 games on the ps3, when 250 million people owned a ps2 is rediculous.

im speaking from a marketing standpoint here, whoever was in charge should be fired.

sony knew their launch was bad, and if i remmeber correctly, only the 60gb ps3 was BC

LOXO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LOXO7
Member since 2008 • 5595 Posts

Because they still have the PS2 out. It's 99 dollars. Think about it in Sonys eyes. We put bc on the PS3 and jack up the price.... or keep the price the same? Or we can just have the PS2 still out on the market for $99. Hmmm tough decision. "Lets put it into the PS3!"

OneLazyAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 OneLazyAsian

the fact that u couldn't play ure ps2 games on the ps3, when 250 million people owned a ps2 is rediculous.

im speaking from a marketing standpoint here, whoever was in charge should be fired.

sony knew their launch was bad, and if i remmeber correctly, only the 60gb ps3 was BC

likeabrick

The 20GB had BC as well. It was the 40GB I think that started with half BC. By the 80GB it was gone.

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts

i disagree. sony hasnt made a mistake all gen this gen, well actually they had one mistake and thats not having enough ps3s for everyone its still in high demand. if you want to play ps2 games buy a ps2. hd remakes of ps2 games with trophies is better anyways. i hope they do the same thing for the ps4 and not have ps3 bc so they can remake it and make it better and ever with more trophies

_SWAG_

you a funny guy.- c. barkley

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lundy86_4

_SWAG_
So the high launch price wasn't a mistake?
Dahaka-UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Dahaka-UK
Member since 2005 • 6915 Posts

_SWAG_
You don't think launching a console at $599 with barely any games is a mistake? Probably one of the main reasons it's in last place in sales right now.
razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 razgriz_101

likeabrick

the PS2 is still a money spinner it makes sense to pull the plug till its totally dead then reinstate it when they have made all the cash they can out it.PS2 still sells in a lot of territories like S.America and even here its a pretty solid choice for a lot of folks including parents with younger kids that dont have the money to fork out for a wii you can find a ps2 for bout £40-50 new here basically the same as a current gen game.

OfficerLeach_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 OfficerLeach_
Member since 2010 • 419 Posts

i got the 80gb launch...i went and bought some classics PSonei wanted when i got back from the army(FF7,Legends of Dragoon,MGS,and the Resident Evils) then i realized most of the best playstation games are in the Playstation Store so i didnt even need to get the actual disc and have to have BC....

likeabrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 likeabrick

[QUOTE="likeabrick"]

OneLazyAsian

The 20GB had BC as well. It was the 40GB I think that started with half BC. By the 80GB it was gone.

right but who would want a 20gb ps3?

LOXO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 LOXO7

The PS3 had BC, and for quite a while. It was removed to drive down the costs of the console.

Where have you been?

lundy86_4
That's bs. It was dropped to make more money another way. With BC in the PS3 kind of makes the PS2 obsolete. They will put BC back into the PS3 after they drop the PS2. It only makes the most sense.
198d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 198d
Member since 2004 • 265 Posts

i have to admit though it is nice seeing sony making ps2 remakes for ps3, gow and i hear shadow of the collossus.

but yeah they stripped down the ps3 quite a bit after launch... minus two usb ports, no more compact flash and other card readers, see ya BC....sometimes i wish i still had my 60gb launcher

B-boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#26 B-boy
Member since 2002 • 1965 Posts
playing ps one or ps2 game on the ps3 look like crap playings ps one on the psp look freaking great
elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
BC is no big deal with how cheap ps2's are nowdays. the only problem song had was the insane price tags of ps3 at start but now they are getting cheaper to make sony has lowered it to a good price tag
Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Filthybastrd
Member since 2009 • 7124 Posts

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

Where have you been?

LOXO7

That's bs. It was dropped to make more money another way. With BC in the PS3 kind of makes the PS2 obsolete. They will put BC back into the PS3 after they drop the PS2. It only makes the most sense.

Actually, the B/C (the well functioning one) had a physical chip inside it for it. As such, it's reasonable to assume they dumped it as a way to help drive down manufacturing costs.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 lundy86_4

That's bs. It was dropped to make more money another way. With BC in the PS3 kind of makes the PS2 obsolete. They will put BC back into the PS3 after they drop the PS2. It only makes the most sense.LOXO7

That's certainly a valid hypothesis, but do you have anything to actually back up your points before you shout "bs?"

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#30 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
Wow... new to the game i see... PS3 does have BC... if you buy the right one...
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 lundy86_4

Actually, the B/C (the well functioning one) had a physical chip inside it for it. As such, it's reasonable to assume they dumped it as a way to help drive down manufacturing costs.

Filthybastrd

My point exactly. Having a physical chip involved means another step in the manufacturing cycle and more parts to buy.

OneLazyAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 OneLazyAsian

[QUOTE="OneLazyAsian"]

[QUOTE="likeabrick"]

likeabrick

right but who would want a 20gb ps3?

Lots of people I would guess. It was cheaper than the 60GB at least. Still a hefty price tag for a gaming console at $499.

likeabrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 likeabrick

BC is no big deal with how cheap ps2's are nowdays. the only problem song had was the insane price tags of ps3 at start but now they are getting cheaper to make sony has lowered it to a good price tagelbert_b_23

sony dropped the ball with $599 and no dualshock 3 at launch, that is what didn't sell me back in 2006.

i was sold when the slim $299 came out with a free Dualshock 3 in the box. this is what they should've done in the first place

LOXO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 LOXO7

[QUOTE="LOXO7"] That's bs. It was dropped to make more money another way. With BC in the PS3 kind of makes the PS2 obsolete. They will put BC back into the PS3 after they drop the PS2. It only makes the most sense.lundy86_4

That's certainly a valid hypothesis, but do you have anything to actually back up your points before you shout "bs?"

Yeah. Let us both talk to Sony and ask them their business strategies.
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 lundy86_4

Yeah. Let us both talk to Sony and ask them their business strategies.LOXO7

My point was based on the fact that hardware BC was a further expense in the manufacturing process. Your's seemed to be based entirely upon your speculation :?

_SWAG_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 _SWAG_
Member since 2009 • 2674 Posts

the launch price of the ps3 is not a mistake. the only reason a small sum of people couldnt afford it because of the economic meltdown at the time. i went out and got two jobs so i can get a ps3. anyway sony are innovators, who needs bc when you can get hd remakes with trophies. i hope sony doesnt put ps3 bc on the ps4 because bc is so last gen

Chemist08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Chemist08
Member since 2008 • 83 Posts

My biggest mistake was getting a PS3 got like 2 games on it i like, least its a good blu ray player and web browser..

hiryu3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#38 hiryu3
Member since 2003 • 7313 Posts
[QUOTE="likeabrick"]i like all the playstations, but besides the $599 no dualshock 3 launch, and bunch of dissapointments like haze and lair, the worst mistake they ever did was not give the PS3 backward compatability. If they did, then I think Sony still mightve been in 1st place. just bad marketing, I could've made saved sony millions if I was a marketing manager

The BC was removed to lower the price so many were complaining about.
lordfalsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 lordfalsus
Member since 2010 • 527 Posts

wow another BC BC BC thread. seriously? how is that sonys biggest mistake when ps2 are still on the market? I dont complain why my stove cant be used as a BBQ or why mmy house doesnt double as a space ship. you buy a product for what it is, if you got time to come here and cry about the PS then you got time to research PS and decide what is the best model for you. No one force you to buy a non BC model. I blame consumer ignorance

hiryu3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#40 hiryu3
Member since 2003 • 7313 Posts

likeabrick
20 gig and 60 had BC.
LOXO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 LOXO7

[QUOTE="LOXO7"] Yeah. Let us both talk to Sony and ask them their business strategies.lundy86_4

My point was based on the fact that hardware BC was a further expense in the manufacturing process. Your's seemed to be based entirely upon your speculation :?

So you think having the PS2 and PS3 run the same games would make more money?
B-boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#42 B-boy
Member since 2002 • 1965 Posts

the launch price of the ps3 is not a mistake. the only reason a small sum of people couldnt afford it because of the economic meltdown at the time. i went out and got two jobs so i can get a ps3. anyway sony are innovators, who needs bc when you can get hd remakes with trophies. i hope sony doesnt put ps3 bc on the ps4 because bc is so last gen

_SWAG_
I own two ps3, it cost both them 500.00 dollars
likeabrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 likeabrick

ultimatley what I'm trying to say is why release the PS3 when the PS2 is still selling like hotcakes.

doesn't make any sense, it would be much wiser to discontinue the PS2 and add BC on the PS3 so they would want to switch.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 lundy86_4

So you think having the PS2 and PS3 run the same games would make more money?LOXO7

I'm saying it's not possible to know whether or not keeping the PS2 on the market with a lack of BC for the PS3 makes more or less money for Sony. Hence why I called it a hypothesis.

I'm failing to understand the confusion, nor why we are still debating this point.

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#46 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
Why add BC if they can sell old games in HD with trophy support?
likeabrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 likeabrick

Why add BC if they can sell old games in HD with trophy support? Miroku32

cuz whats the point of buying the game digitally, when you have it already.

its a sleezy move. you shouldn't have to buy the same game twice

DJ_Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DJ_Magneto
Member since 2008 • 4675 Posts
The reason Sony is not including bc is because the PS2 is still selling ...glenn2709
And people always rip on MS and accuse them of money grubbing.
Avatar image for carlisledavid79
carlisledavid79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 carlisledavid79
Member since 2006 • 10522 Posts
Every single PS3 on the market is backwards compatable
Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Javy03
Member since 2006 • 6886 Posts

After seeing all the excitement about a GOW collection HD remix,Earth Worm Jim HD remix, SFII HD remix,Sly cooper HD remix and ICO/SOTC HD remix I think it's safe to assume that there is more money and interest in PS2-PS1-NES-SNES-Genesis, etc gamesgetting updated and upgraded for the next gen consoles with HD graphics and nicer sprites then the ability to play old games on a new system. The PS3 can play PS1 games, all of them have this BC, but nobody cares or even knows half the time.

People buy a new system to play new games, not old games. It's a great feature and I have a 20GB PS3 that plays PS2 games and I upgraded the HDD to 80GB but I still ended up trading the few PS2 games I kept for the HD upgraded version. My GOW's and ICO/SOTC PS2 games were traded so I can make room for the better PS3 version.