Sony's Biggest Mistake is still not fixed

• 112 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sturshel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#101 sturshel
Member since 2007 • 177 Posts

i like all the playstations, but besides the $599 no dualshock 3 launch, and bunch of dissapointments like haze and lair, the worst mistake they ever did was not give the PS3 backward compatability. If they did, then I think Sony still mightve been in 1st place. just bad marketing, I could've made saved sony millionsif I was a marketing managerlikeabrick

You know, with the PS2 hitting 10 yrs in the US, maybe, you could buy one, and then that would negate the issue that you have with backwards compatability.

Also, a question or two, why do you want a current generation console, only so that you can play past generaton games? AND, Haze and Lair? dude, those games are so old - yes they suck but get over them already its been like 3 years!

I look forward to when you become marketing manager, then you can help Sony look backwards.....

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#102 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

the fact that u couldn't play ure ps2 games on the ps3, when 250 million people owned a ps2 is rediculous.

im speaking from a marketing standpoint here, whoever was in charge should be fired.

sony knew their launch was bad, and if i remmeber correctly, only the 60gb ps3 was BC

likeabrick

You remember incorrectly. Both launch configurations had full hardware BC, and the 80GB model that followed had partially emulated BC. And, of course, all PS3s still retain PS1 BC. People wanted the price to drop faster than decline in manufacturing costs would allow, and this was something they could cut to help the price point. They still offer PS2s cheap, so if it's something you want, you can still get one.

Oh, and 250 million ps2s is waaay over the actual number. It crossed 140 last fall, so I'd guess maybe 145 now.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

The PS3 had BC, and for quite a while. It was removed to drive down the costs of the console.

Where have you been?

Brownesque

I frankly don't see how removing software backwards compatibility (which the 80 GB 4 USB system had) reduces costs.

It never had fully emulated BC. The GPU was emulated on later models, but the CPU still was physically present in every PS2 BC-capable PS3.

WiiMan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#104 WiiMan21
Member since 2007 • 8191 Posts

Microsoft's biggest mistake is still not fixed:

Jrfanfreak88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#105 Jrfanfreak88
Member since 2008 • 1792 Posts
[QUOTE="likeabrick"]i like all the playstations, but besides the $599 no dualshock 3 launch, and bunch of dissapointments like haze and lair, the worst mistake they ever did was not give the PS3 backward compatability. If they did, then I think Sony still mightve been in 1st place. just bad marketing, I could've made saved sony millions if I was a marketing manager

I had a backwards compatible PS3 for just over 3 years, I had 2 Ps2 games left out of roughly 60 when it died. Don't live in the past!
GKinnel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 GKinnel
Member since 2004 • 667 Posts
From what I understand it was to expensive to keep the PS2 emulator in 'em. It was costing them to keep putting those models out, and they were depending solely on the software, accessories, and PSN sales.
Avatar image for FeedOnATreeFrog
FeedOnATreeFrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#107 FeedOnATreeFrog
Member since 2009 • 792 Posts

Sony's biggest mistake was not getting devkits into developers hands early enough.

No killer aps to justify the 600$ price tag.

Oh, and not securing GTA4 killed them. The core games with most mass appeal were Halo and GTA. And Sony lost one of them.

BC was not a huge issue, and they really should have taken it out of the ps3 at launch and lower price.

ps2 fans already had ps2's.

HaLoMaStErJT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 HaLoMaStErJT
Member since 2008 • 1380 Posts

Whats the big deal about bc. If you want to play ps2 games get a ps2. If you want to play a ps3 game get a ps3.

mgs_freak91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 mgs_freak91
Member since 2007 • 2053 Posts
I think people dont care about BC at this point. Bc was popular early on when the console lacked games but it's not really needed now.MFDOOM1983
Not only that but the PS2 is quite cheap now a days. :S Also as someone else has already mentioned, you can't have it both ways. Either BC and therefore more expensive, or no BC and the price it is right now. What would be cool would be selling the emulator software on PSN for a certain price. That way people can get BC if they wish for it.
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

It costs money to put in BC, especially with the money required to continually fund emulation support. PS2 is not a nice console to emulate, and it just wasn't worth the cost. Nor was it worth charging more for the PS3 for BC.

Just buy a PS2. It runs PS2 games perfectly and in my experience PS1 games look better when upscaled from it due to the slight blur.

CajunShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 CajunShooter
Member since 2006 • 5276 Posts

[QUOTE="likeabrick"]

the fact that u couldn't play ure ps2 games on the ps3, when 250 million people owned a ps2 is rediculous.

im speaking from a marketing standpoint here, whoever was in charge should be fired.

sony knew their launch was bad, and if i remmeber correctly, only the 60gb ps3 was BC

OneLazyAsian

The 20GB had BC as well. It was the 40GB I think that started with half BC. By the 80GB it was gone.

Here is how it went

Launch systems = 20GB and 60GB full BC Then the release of the 80 GB with 4 USB slots with Emulation Then the release of the 80 GB with 2 USB slots and no BC Then the release of the 40GB with no BC

Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#112 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

The ps3, at the price you quoted, had ps2 bc. People piss and moan about the price, they put out skus without at a lower price. This is how things work.

I sold my 60 gb due to not needing BC anymore and actually sold it for more than I paid for it 2 years after I bought it, so I'm glad they took it out.