Sony VR CONFIRMED (Project Morpheus)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for EducatingU_PCMR
EducatingU_PCMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#101 EducatingU_PCMR
Member since 2013 • 1581 Posts

The camera and move required lol, this is how Sony is going to get rid of those dusty Moves in stock.

VR device = $500, camera + move = $120 = $620

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts

@EducatingU_PCMR said:

" First up is "Sight." "To achieve presence, we need a high-res, high framerate... display." Also needed are "specialized optics." "

Flop confirmed. Only games the PS4 will be getting for a VR experience are indies. High res and high framerates are just dreams for consoles.

Pretty sure Drive Club has been confirmed to support it.

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#103  Edited By cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

@kuu2 said:

When are these large tech companies going to learn that singular experiences just don't sell well any longer. MSoft is coming out with their goggles as well later next year (Rumor) and all of them will not be coming into my home.

Also, doesn't this need the camera to work properly? Sony not putting the camera in the box at launch hampers this tragedy even more.

GAF is saying it requires PS move and the PS4 camera to work. Not sure exactly, but if true, that's $70 for the camera, however much it costs for the move controllers and whatever they require, then probably $300+ for the actual headset. So...it's pretty much dead in the water. I can't seriously see Sony putting much money into software production that requires an $800 investment on the consumers' end (ie PS4, Morpheus, and accessories) to play.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#105 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

It requires the PS Camera, not Move. All they've said is that it can be used in conjunction with Move. I also doubt this thing will cost more than the entire PS4. My guess is that it'll retail at around $200-$300.

EducatingU_PCMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 EducatingU_PCMR

@Gue1:

It'll probably be affordable but then you'd have to put around $120 in the Move + Camera.

Typical Sony move that happened with the VIta and the memory cards = cheap main device, expensive required accessories.

So it gives the product a virtually affordable price, but in reality the whole package is not.

Avatar image for Obviously_Right
Obviously_Right

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 Obviously_Right
Member since 2011 • 5331 Posts

Also, only the camera is confirmed to be required.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

this sh%t going to be pricey as fu*k

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#109 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts

"Marks says you'll have to be able to drive to the store, buy one, plug it in, and have it just work."

To be honest this is one of the reasons the Rift will beat this. Yes it may require some fiddling but the ability to go back and play a variety of games using the device and not just specific titles tailored to it will be a big plus.

Price is really going to be key to its success, if they don't get the device into enough peoples hands nobody will support it and it'll go the way of the PS Move and Eye Toy, a decent enough piece of tech that doesn't have the games to justify purchasing one.

EducatingU_PCMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 EducatingU_PCMR

@Spartan070 said:

@EducatingU_PCMR said:

" First up is "Sight." "To achieve presence, we need a high-res, high framerate... display." Also needed are "specialized optics." "

Flop confirmed. Only games the PS4 will be getting for a VR experience are indies. High res and high framerates are just dreams for consoles.

Pretty sure Drive Club has been confirmed to support it.

Well then it better be 1080p@60, if not, then the experience is going to suck.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#111 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

I'd rather just wait for the commercial occulus rift

ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 ghostwarrior786

@bobbetybob said:

"Marks says you'll have to be able to drive to the store, buy one, plug it in, and have it just work."

To be honest this is one of the reasons the Rift will beat this. Yes it may require some fiddling but the ability to go back and play a variety of games using the device and not just specific titles tailored to it will be a big plus.

Price is really going to be key to its success, if they don't get the device into enough peoples hands nobody will support it and it'll go the way of the PS Move and Eye Toy, a decent enough piece of tech that doesn't have the games to justify purchasing one.

rift is aimed at the ultra hard core, thats going to be super expensive. i doubt sony is going that high end but its still going to be too pricey for the casuals

EducatingU_PCMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By EducatingU_PCMR

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@bobbetybob said:

rift is aimed at the ultra hard core, thats going to be super expensive. i doubt sony is going that high end but its still going to be too pricey for the casuals

The rift is going to be $300.

Do you think Sony's VR will be cheaper than that? Including the camera and move?

Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Nonstop-Madness

Sony's already hinting at a racing VR game. That being said, I'm pretty sure DriveClub will support VR.

ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By ghostwarrior786

@EducatingU_PCMR said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@bobbetybob said:

Do you think Sony's VR will be cheaper than that? Including the camera and move?

and how much is the pc going to cost to run that thing? and when was rift price confirmed? not doubting u just having been keeping up with vr stuff

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

It will likely cost an arm and a leg. I'd like to test it out though

We'll see how many gamers suddenly dont' care about wearing big goofy goggles on their heads like they claimed with the Rift

EducatingU_PCMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 EducatingU_PCMR

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@EducatingU_PCMR said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@bobbetybob said:

and how much is the pc going to cost to run that thing? and when was rift price confirmed? not doubting u just having been keeping up with vr stuff

Not much, especially if we consider the HW that's going to be available when the Rift releases.

There will be cheap GPUs capable of driving games at high framerates.

Price is not confirmed, but that's their target, it was a recent interview with IGN.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

Interesting to see how this will play out. The OR is basically a smartphone screen and some motions sensors glued together with a skimask. I wounder what patents OR has if any. But since Sony's headset is tied to the Ps4 they aren't really competitors directly. Since the Ps4 is so indie-friendly I guess Sony will try to bring over the best projects developed for the Rift to their system.

The big questions though are specs, price and how it will perform running on the relatively weak Ps4 hardware. This is good news for VR overall though obv.

Obviously_Right

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 Obviously_Right

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#121 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

@seanmcloughlin said:

It will likely cost an arm and a leg. I'd like to test it out though

We'll see how many gamers suddenly dont' care about wearing big goofy goggles on their heads like they claimed with the Rift

I for one was always excited for the rift, however I know you have a rift and you probably payed what around $300 USD for SDK kit?

I can't see sony going as high as that at least.

ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 ghostwarrior786

sony going IN!!

21:31 by Ben Lang

There's an audio jack directly on the head unit so you can plug headphones in directly

21:30 by Ben Lang

Supports 15-25mm eye relief for this protoype. "It's an open air design. Even though there is light blocking, it lets air through to prevent fogging"

21:30 by Ben Lang

Unique design: highly adjustable, comfortable for prolonged use, supports custom headphones

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Sushiglutton

@Obviously_Right said:

So basically it has higher resolution and is matching the FOV of the current Rift version (which is also just a prototype).

ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 ghostwarrior786

@Sushiglutton:

Geoff Keighley ‏@geoffkeighley 42s

Developers who have used Project Morpheus tell me the fidelity of the image and experience is superior to Oculus Rift.

bu-bu-bu-oculus!!!

Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 Nonstop-Madness

Looks like Sony's done a good job so far. Also, EVE Valkyrie and Thief will be playable on Morpheus.

EducatingU_PCMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 EducatingU_PCMR

@Sushiglutton said:

@Obviously_Right said:

So basically it has higher resolution and is matching the FOV of the current Rift version (which is also just a prototype).

Current Rift prototype is 1080p. Has been for a while.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

But Cows told me VR was shit and Oculus Rift was a fad that would die.....

How come they changed their opinion over night?

Obviously_Right

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 Obviously_Right

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#130 misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

@Obviously_Right said:

Also, only the camera is confirmed to be required.

Damn misterX ain't gonna like Crytek and Epic Games being on that list. "b-b-b-b-b- PS4 is last gen tech :(!"

Also I saw this little nugget on one of the streams that I smirked at. You'll know what I'm talking about when you read it ;)

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By Sushiglutton

@EducatingU_PCMR said:

@Sushiglutton said:

Current Rift prototype is 1080p. Has been for a while.

I was checking wikipedia, but for some reason they didn't mention the crystal cove. And you are correct it is 1080p.

Obviously_Right

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Obviously_Right

Square Enix also have a Thief build there for the Morpheus.

ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 ghostwarrior786

wow i guess destroying m$ got boring so they going after pc... dun dun dun!!!

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

lol, Thief on PS4 VR. That shit can't even hold a solid 30fps on the PS4 atm, let alone the high framerates necessary for VR.

Avatar image for mynamesdenvrmax
mynamesdenvrmax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#136 mynamesdenvrmax
Member since 2004 • 2228 Posts

I give this peripheral exactly 2 years before the games supporting it are 1-2 a year first party only. Sony will forget this one quickly.

Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 Nonstop-Madness

Comedic Gold

ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 ghostwarrior786

hermit jimmies = rustled. its over guys, this is how sony is going to take over the world.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By misterpmedia

@kuu2 said:

When are these large tech companies going to learn that singular experiences just don't sell well any longer. MSoft is coming out with their goggles as well later next year (Rumor) and all of them will not be coming into my home.

Also, doesn't this need the camera to work properly? Sony not putting the camera in the box at launch hampers this tragedy even more.

Microsoft is going for AR rather than VR. Hence the cheap google glass knock offs

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@Nonstop-Madness said:

Looks like Sony's done a good job so far. Also, EVE Valkyrie and Thief will be playable on Morpheus.

Now were is Delta who was making fun of the leaks claiming that it was superior...hahahahaa

kbanna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By kbanna
Member since 2011 • 741 Posts

@Mr-Kutaragi said:

Will probably be sold out for month and month like ps4 camera. MS really mess up this gen forcing kinect.

You find a way to bring xbox into everyting

Avatar image for enviouseyezonme
EnviousEyezOnMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By EnviousEyezOnMe
Member since 2013 • 272 Posts

The future of the PS4...Wa What! Can't wait! Have you people been watching The Lawnmower Man again? Let me know when issh gets real like that movie from back in the 90's. Peace

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Lulz, so Sony is again copying someone else's success with their own shitty knockoff version? No thanks.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#144 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58952 Posts

My friends, I ponder, will it be viable for anything other than "first person" viewed titles?

Avatar image for deactivated-58c8ef5f8044e
deactivated-58c8ef5f8044e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 deactivated-58c8ef5f8044e
Member since 2012 • 546 Posts

This will crash Sony Computer Entertainment.

Obviously_Right

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Obviously_Right

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@MisterXMedia said:

@StormyJoe said:

@Shewgenja said:

But the PS4 is just an upgraded PS3 if they don't shove a camera in every box. Amirite?

Yes. The PS4 is just a hardware upgrade. This doesn't change that, it's just a peripheral.

The PS4 is a hardware upgrade as well as a UI/OS upgrade.

The Xbone is just a UI/OS downgrade. Hardware hasn't improved from last-gen consoles.

Spoken like the true jokes you are. Move along joke go mooo somewhere else.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 misterpmedia

@mems_1224 said:

Lulz, so Sony is again copying someone else's success with their own shitty knockoff version? No thanks.

Yet I bet you use Kinect. lol.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@misterpmedia said:

@mems_1224 said:

Yet I bet you use Kinect. lol.

Nope, never owned one, don't want one. Try again.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Looks meh but i don't have nor plan on buying a new tv anymore so if this is actually good and worth $200 n under ill see, maybe.