Sony Full Year Results: 1.25b Loss | PS 78m Loss

• 145 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#101 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

@santoron said:

@delta3074 said:

@AM-Gamer said:

@delta3074: Except the majority of there assets people would buy. The Movie division alone could gather 8 to 11 billion. I never said they weren't bleeding money, that part is obvious. But what does that have to do with the quality of there products. They make great stuff and much of there stuff actually sells but they have razor thin profit margins.

Would you rather they be like Apple? He'll if Apple released a console on par with the PS4 it would have a price tag of $900.

Why would they sell there movie division, it's one of the only Profit making divisions they have and 8-11 billion is too generous, they wouldn't get that amount for it,lol

SONY as a whole is worth less than 25 billion,lol

lolno. Stock prices rarely reflect the actual worth of a company. Many well recognized companies trade above their actual value, some trade below.

Sony's market valuation is ~20 billion (probably lower after recent reports) which is the approximate value of all shares of company stock. Of course, in an attempt to fight off their collapsing stock price Sony performed more than one stock buyback so they actually own a significant % of their stock, and no doubt have their own form of "poison pill" measures to keep anyone from attempting a hostile takeover at it's depressed valuation.

Sony's Asset Valuation is ~$149 billion dollars. That's the estimated worth of all of the buildings, businesses, patents/ip rights, brands, inventory, ... everything of value. If you owned Sony, that's around the amount of money you could expect to collect if you sold off all the pieces.

So it's plain to see Sony is worth far more than its current stock price, which is a big reason why you hear a couple notable Sony investors bringing up the idea of selling off certain Sony arms, because they know the actual value of the businesses that make up Sony is not currently reflected in the stock price.

In comparison, their short term debt was at ~$12 billion to begin the year, down form $12.5 billion a year earlier, and their long term debt stood at $8.92 billion, which was down more than 2 billion dollars from the $11 billion they owed one year earlier. Not only is Sony worth a lot more than you assumed, they're actually shedding debt at a fairly brisk pace.

SW likes to pretend they understand Sony's financial situation because they read stock tickers on Yahoo!. Actual corporate finance is not nearly so straightforward.

Learn about business dude

Enterprise value

'A measure of a company's value, often used as an alternative to straightforward market capitalization. Enterprise value is calculated as market cap plus debt, minority interest and preferred shares, minus total cash and cash equivalents.'

'Think of enterprise value as the theoretical takeover price. In the event of a buyout, an acquirer would have to take on the company's debt, but would pocket its cash. EV differs significantly from simple market capitalization in several ways, and many consider it to be a more accurate representation of a firm's value. The value of a firm's debt, for example, would need to be paid by the buyer when taking over a company, thus EV provides a much more accurate takeover valuation because it includes debt in its value calculation.'

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/e/enterprisevalue.asp

'thus EV provides a much more accurate takeover valuation because it includes debt in its value calculation.'

I already passed my BTEC national in business and finance so i DO have an idea what i am talking about, what are your qualifications again?

dalger21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 dalger21
Member since 2002 • 2231 Posts

This doesn't surprise me given how bad their computer department is right now. I think once they sell off that part, they will be ok. Playstation and TV are doing pretty well apparently.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#103  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

That's why I am buying as many SONY games this gen as possible.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#105 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@tdkmillsy said:

@tormentos:

As usual targeting aspects while ignoring others.

Sony will lose money again in 2014-15 year from selling its PC business.

The fact of the matter is they cutting anything and everything to try and get back on track. This includes all divisions including gaming.

I wouldn't expect much from Sony for the next couple of years at least.

stop talking out of your ass "Don't expect much" ... considering they have as much if not more announced as Microsoft does what does that say about microsoft?

Stop pretending you know how business works.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 delta3074
@MBirdy88 said:

@tdkmillsy said:

@tormentos:

The fact of the matter is they cutting anything and everything to try and get back on track. This includes all divisions including gaming.

stop talking out of your ass "Don't expect much" ... considering they have as much if not more announced as Microsoft does what does that say about microsoft?

They may do now but what about down the road?

And i am sorry but you are talking Shite, it's Pretty Obvious that MS are in a far better position than SONY to support there console Microsoft having less to offer than SONY at the moment has F*** all to do with finances so your logic is completely Lame

'MS offer less than SONY so therefore they must have less money' =Rubbish logic at it's finest.

Whether you like it or not SONY \are in the Crapper financially, thats why there shares are Junk rated, not saying they are not going to pull out of it but the Bottom line is that Money is going to be tight for SONY for a little while until they do and they are going to have to make some hard choices down the line.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 delta3074
@Heil68 said:

Thats the spirit man, instead of denying whats going down you are going to DO something about it, if evey one of SONYs fans thought like you then they Stand a really good chance of turning this around.

The wife wants a Ps4, she always gets what she wants so we are doing our Part *thumbs up*

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5882 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:

@tdkmillsy said:

@tormentos:

Really care to explain how a company bleeding money wont squeeze budgets across the company in an effort to stay afloat.

They will play safe with remakes, sequels and indie games. Getting games to market will be top priority at the expense of quality.

Those expecting more from the next generation will be expecting too much until Sony gets itself sorted.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 shawn30
Member since 2006 • 4409 Posts

Sony's got a ton of hard decisions to make, and not alot of time to make them. 4 straight years of losses, junk status on credit, mass layoffs worldwide, and selling buildings to cover debts is a very hard thing to come back from. The PS4's good press is a God-send, but it just doesn't make near the money to help even a little bit. Will be interesting to see how Sony protects and funds Playstation going forward.

Draign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#110  Edited By Draign
Member since 2013 • 1824 Posts

How long will Sony hold on before they cave and sell the Playstation division? Their cellphone is the only device worth mentioning these days and Samsung stole their best feature with the S5. I guess Spiderman is saving the day for them.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Heil68

@sts106mat said:

@Heil68 said:

hahaha

we can save sony....one copy at a time.....

that has to be your new mantra dude....make it happen

Not much else you can do. I plan on playing the majority of 3rd party games on PS4 and use the Xbone primarily for exclusives.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@tdkmillsy: @delta3074 clueless doom and gloom.

The areas of the business that are successful will receive the required attention regardless. You say trimming down for Sony is a bad thing... and yes you can make a pathetically irrelevant "buh what about a few years time" crystal ball nonsense, depite this very report stating they will be better off as time goes on.

Meanwhile, we have Microsoft.... the company that has had to back-pedal so badly and stopped developing new First Party games a good 6 years ago.... boasting an equally mediocre lineup of rehashes. The only difference here is half the bloody stock holders and even themselves don't have any dependance on the xbox division... its seen as a neccesary burden. one they have had talks about removing from the parent company.

You tell me, how Microsoft are any better off with their current mind-set? money? you mean money that won't be put into that "division which many don't want" just because there is money, doesn't mean it will go into the xbox brand. just more dellusional nonsense by lemmings.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Heil68

@delta3074 said:
@Heil68 said:

Thats the spirit man, instead of denying whats going down you are going to DO something about it, if evey one of SONYs fans thought like you then they Stand a really good chance of turning this around.

The wife wants a Ps4, she always gets what she wants so we are doing our Part *thumbs up*

Awesome. Add me to PSN when you do! BroknOath is my tag.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By shawn30

@MBirdy88 said:

You tell me, how Microsoft are any better off with their current mind-set? money? you mean money that won't be put into that "division which many don't want" just because there is money, doesn't mean it will go into the xbox brand. just more dellusional nonsense by lemmings.

MS has removed Kinect to offer a sku that cost the same as PS4, thus creating price parity. By not including Kinect with that device they lower their costs per unit without incurring new losses. 5 billion was already given to Xbox, and I'm sure they have plenty left to work with, lol. As for Xbox Importance... http://www.cnet.com/news/xbox-boss-microsoft-wont-sell-us-off/

"After Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella took on his new role earlier this year, he said that his company must focus on mobile and the cloud, conspicuously leaving Xbox out of that discussion. More recently, Nadella has acknowledged the importance of the Xbox division, saying that its software experience might be a suitable fit for other services Microsoft is working on."

Xbox One is essentially Window 8 compatible, which was built to be compatible with Windows Phone and Surface. MS hopes are that typing all of these devices together will draw people into their eco-system, hence the importance of Xbox and a priority of it being a success. This is why the new CEO gave the entire division to Phil Spencer. MS thoughts about Xbox One extend farther than just being the best games machine. But being that will lead them to what they hope it will become. None of this is a prediction they will succeed. I don't have a crystal ball like most Cows, lol. But those that think Xbox won't be heavily supported financially, and doesn't mean much to the company is pretty delusional. As for the business of Xbox. It has operated 6 straight years with profit, even as it works to offset RROD debt.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@shawn30 said:

@MBirdy88 said:

MS has removed Kinect to offer a sku that cost the same as PS4, thus creating price parity. By not including Kinect with that device they lower their costs per unit without incurring new losses. 5 billion was already given to Xbox, and I'm sure they have plenty left to work with, lol. As for Xbox Importance... http://www.cnet.com/news/xbox-boss-microsoft-wont-sell-us-off/

"After Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella took on his new role earlier this year, he said that his company must focus on mobile and the cloud, conspicuously leaving Xbox out of that discussion. More recently, Nadella has acknowledged the importance of the Xbox division, saying that its software experience might be a suitable fit for other services Microsoft is working on."

Xbox One is essentially Window 8 compatible, which was built to be compatible with Windows Phone and Surface. MS hopes are that typing all of these devices together will draw people into their eco-system, hence the importance of Xbox and a priority of it being a success. This is why the new CEO gave the entire division to Phil Spencer. MS thoughts about Xbox One extend farther than just being the best games machine. But being that will lead them to what they hope it will become. None of this is a prediction they will succeed. I don't have a crystal ball like most Cows, lol. But those that think Xbox won't be heavily supported financially, and doesn't mean much to the company is pretty delusional. As for the business of Xbox. It has operated 6 straight years with profit, even as it works to offset RROD debt.

I know all of this, my point is just because it is doing well, doesn't mean it will magically get more games than the competition... they don't work like that... none of them. Its a similar stupid arguement to those people that obsess over "World of Warcraft had 14 million subscribers... that means it will get more content than the competition" which.... was a flat out lie, its just more profit for other ventures.... or a Jacuzzi or 2. I don't think either companies financial situations benefit gamers more than the other. which is why this whole arguement on system was is pointless.

I know they won't sell the devision.... but just because he said its important, doesn't make it any less of a "debate" within the company.... as many clearly see it as next to nothing.

And about the Windows 8 Eco-system... yes, thats why I was originally hyped, but that hype is gone, after owning Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 for so long,. both products are inferior to the competition (in window's case... itself.... hell its usability flaws make MAC OS X seem pealing.)

They can't even get their app stores to be competitive... nobody cares.... but microsoft... who have absolutely no quality control on the app stores... so much plaguerism ..... yet they are happy to brag about how quickly they get apps.... yet... I could upload a pikachu app with a picture of picture, people would vote it 5 stars on that store and I would be part of the statistic.

none of the eco-system means SQUAT for xbox ... because they are so far behind in all areas of entertainement.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By shawn30

@MBirdy88 said:

@shawn30 said:

@MBirdy88 said:

I know all of this, my point is just because it is doing well, doesn't mean it will magically get more games than the competition... they don't work like that... none of them. Its a similar stupid arguement to those people that obsess over "World of Warcraft had 14 million subscribers... that means it will get more content than the competition" which.... was a flat out lie, its just more profit for other ventures.... or a Jacuzzi or 2. I don't think either companies financial situations benefit gamers more than the other. which is why this whole arguement on system was is pointless.

I know they won't sell the devision.... but just because he said its important, doesn't make it any less of a "debate" within the company.... as many clearly see it as next to nothing.

And about the Windows 8 Eco-system... yes, thats why I was originally hyped, but that hype is gone, after owning Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 for so long,. both products are inferior to the competition (in window's case... itself.... hell its usability flaws make MAC OS X seem pealing.)

They can't even get their app stores to be competitive... nobody cares.... but microsoft... who have absolutely no quality control on the app stores... so much plaguerism ..... yet they are happy to brag about how quickly they get apps.... yet... I could upload a pikachu app with a picture of picture, people would vote it 5 stars on that store and I would be part of the statistic.

none of the eco-system means SQUAT for xbox ... because they are so far behind in all areas of entertainement.

So the Xbox One is selling well, Xbox division is profitable, and MS as a company is doing great, all of which you agree with, and you feel they won't get more games than the competition despite having far more money and being in a massively superior situation than Sony corporation? Maybe they won't, lol. But I think its a good chance they will. And if a argument on system wars is pointless then why are you arguing on system wars?

As for debate, if MS is debating selling Xbox, Sony execs must be killing themselves over the condition of their company.

Windows products being inferior is a matter of opinion. My wife has a Surface and its pretty fantastic. But all of that is opinion.

App issues need work, no doubt about that. But I still want Windows 8 apps on Xbox One.

So after the CEO of the company expresses that Xbox is suitable for other Microsoft services - Cloud, Window 8 integrations with Windows Phone and Surface, you can't see why Xbox is important to MS vision? How is MS behind in all areas of entertainment when they sold 80+ million 360s, 4+ million Xbox One's in 6 months, and are developing 9 original television series and a feature length movie, and have a multi-year deal with the NFL? Entertainment wise they are doing very well, and building upon it. Investing in it.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#117  Edited By Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

@shawn30 said:

Sony's got a ton of hard decisions to make, and not alot of time to make them. 4 straight years of losses, junk status on credit, mass layoffs worldwide, and selling buildings to cover debts is a very hard thing to come back from. The PS4's good press is a God-send, but it just doesn't make near the money to help even a little bit. Will be interesting to see how Sony protects and funds Playstation going forward.

Do you ever get sick of sitting here heralding in doom for sony?

This shit has been going on for years and sony STILL came out with another console.

Do you ever enjoy games or just financials because even this is getting a little redundant dude.

AND once again restructuring officially started as of 2/14.

Shit takes time to turn around dude. Sonys doin their best and it's just begun.

Restructuring doesn't happen in a week or a month but years. I mean look at THQ they started it waaaaaaaaaaaay to late when they owed all that money to creditors.

And even IF they filed for Chapter 11 or bankruptcy it doesn't mean the company is going to go away.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By shawn30

@Animal-Mother said:

@shawn30 said:

This shit has been going on for years and sony STILL came out with another console.

Do you ever enjoy games or just financials because even this is getting a little redundant dude.

Restructuring doesn't happen in a week or a month but years. I mean look at THQ they started it waaaaaaaaaaaay to late when they owed all that money to creditors.

If its redundant, why respond? Maybe it struck a nerve... And the fact that its been going on for years isn't an argument for Sony as much as its a sad testament to their current state of affairs. Coming out with another console doesn't mean a whole lot as the PS brand is one of the very very few divisions that makes any money at all. As for games, I enjoy and talk about plenty. But seeing as how this is a gaming forum, and both Sony and MS have gaming divisions, and their financial reports tend to be big multi-page threads, its a topic of discussion for a ton of us. You're free to avoid those threads if you like. I avoid a number of PS4 game threads as I have little interest and not much to add to the discussion. And I don't see the need to ask people who discuss things I'm not interested in why they feel the need to discuss it.

As for Sony doing their best, of course they are. No one thinks restructuring will happen overnight *hugs* Your Sony will be just fine, I promise (not really) - I'll sum of all 3 pages thus far :) You're welcome

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Animal-Mother

@shawn30 said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@shawn30 said:

If its redundant, why respond? Maybe it struck a nerve... And the fact that its been going on for years isn't an argument for Sony as much as its a sad testament to their current state of affairs. Coming out with another console doesn't mean a whole lot as the PS brand is one of the very very few divisions that makes any money at all. As for games, I enjoy and talk about plenty. But seeing as how this is a gaming forum, and both Sony and MS have gaming divisions, and their financial reports tend to be big multi-page threads, its a topic of discussion for a ton of us. You're free to avoid those threads if you like. I avoid a number of PS4 game threads as I have little interest and not much to add to the discussion. And I don't see the need to ask people who discuss things I'm not interested in why they feel the need to discuss it.

As for Sony doing their best, of course they are. No one thinks restructuring will happen overnight *hugs* Your Sony will be just fine, I promise (not really) - I'll sum of all 3 pages thus far :) You're welcome

No it's redundant and goes to show you can't have a decent conversation without posting a stupid picture. I thought you were better than this.

Instead of being an adult like I thought you were you're resorting to fanboy stupidity and extremely childish posting.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 delta3074

@MBirdy88 said:

The areas of the business that are successful will receive the required attention regardless. You say trimming down for Sony is a bad thing... and yes you can make a pathetically irrelevant "buh what about a few years time" crystal ball nonsense, depite this very report stating they will be better off as time goes on.

Meanwhile, we have Microsoft.... the company that has had to back-pedal so badly and stopped developing new First Party games a good 6 years ago.... boasting an equally mediocre lineup of rehashes. The only difference here is half the bloody stock holders and even themselves don't have any dependance on the xbox division... its seen as a neccesary burden. one they have had talks about removing from the parent company.

It's not clueless, i a have a BTEC national diploma in business and finance, i know a bit about how Business works sunshine.

Clueless is somebody who doesn't have any qualifications or experience in business .

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By shawn30

@Animal-Mother said:

@shawn30 said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@shawn30 said:

No it's redundant and goes to show you can't have a decent conversation without posting a stupid picture. I thought you were better than this.

Instead of being an adult like I thought you were you're resorting to fanboy stupidity and extremely childish posting.

Dude, you're on System Wars and your name is Animal-Mother:) Dud you think this was the realm of philosophical debate on wisdom and the space time continuum? And why is the picture stupid? Is it untrue. Its not untrue when people post pics of tons of Xbox Ones in Germany store shelves. I may not like it, lol, but its true. This ain't CNN, its System Wars. Fanboy stupidty and childish posting... around here... This is System Wars in a nutshell!

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@delta3074 said:

They may do now but what about down the road?

And i am sorry but you are talking Shite, it's Pretty Obvious that MS are in a far better position than SONY to support there console Microsoft having less to offer than SONY at the moment has F*** all to do with finances so your logic is completely Lame

'MS offer less than SONY so therefore they must have less money' =Rubbish logic at it's finest.

Whether you like it or not SONY \are in the Crapper financially, thats why there shares are Junk rated, not saying they are not going to pull out of it but the Bottom line is that Money is going to be tight for SONY for a little while until they do and they are going to have to make some hard choices down the line.

MS since the day they set foot on this industry was in a far better position than Sony,MS had more money than sony in 2001 just like they do now,and they have loss 2 generations in a row,when will you people understand that money is not everything you need to win.

Sure sony will not last for ever losing money,but then again MS will not keep the xbox alive if it doesn't win or make huge profits they have fail both so far still behind more than 2 billions from all they loss,and not making $1 billion in profits in a year doesn't erase the 7 billions you loss 7 years before it,and is the reason why some investors want not only the xbox brand dead but also bing who has loss MS 9 billion dollars since 2007,so between the 2 15 billions in losses,and investors also want Surface dead and i am sure windows phones to,they are getting beat up.

And while all this happen Windows 8 was trailing in adoption rate which is MS cash cow,so maybe you get why some investors want MS to focus on windows,instead of trying to cover it all,Zune failed,games with windows..lol

Billions don't warranty success all the contrary you can lose those in a blink of an eye look at sony..

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Animal-Mother

@shawn30 said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@shawn30 said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@shawn30 said:

Dude, you're on System Wars and your name is Animal-Mother:) Dud you think this was the realm of philosophical debate on wisdom and the space time continuum? And why is the picture stupid? Is it untrue. Its not untrue when people post pics of tons of Xbox Ones in Germany store shelves. I may not like it, lol, but its true. This ain't CNN, its System Wars. Fanboy stupidty and childish posting... around here... This is System Wars in a nutshell!

You expect some people to have at least some rapport and have a decent discussion. Like you in the past have.

And as far as this ain't CNN you sure act like it is especially with your crystal ball financial talk. It's not that I deny sony is in a financial rut ( because they are). But I hate the ignorance of how everyone talks about these situations as they completely have 100% understanding of it.

This is the only place in the world where someone uses their thoughts and misconstrues them as facts.
And it's redundant because you say the same thing about sony EVERY single time.

Please tell me what is the exact situation at sony. Because you understand it so well and are apparently there everyday.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts
@shawn30 said:

Last month, the company reported its quarterly earnings and had to take a $900 million write-off for inventory adjustments and the recent 30 percent price cut made on the failed tablet.

The complaint accuses the software giant of "materially misrepresenting the true financial effect" that the tablet was having on the company's businesses and that it failed to tell investors about the excess inventory of Surface RT it was hoarding at the time.

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.cfm/2013/08/15/angry_investors_start_class_action_against_microsoft_over_surface_rt_losses

MS sued for hiding surface losses.

Last month, the company reported its quarterly earnings and had to take a $900 million write-off for inventory adjustments and the recent 30 percent price cut made on the failed tablet.

that it failed to tell investors about the excess inventory of Surface RT it was hoarding at the time.

Now in what other recent product MS had over stock and a price slash just like Surface.? Oh yeah it was on the xbox one,but wait in MS last quarter report there wasn't any talks at all about the xbox brand,it was basically keep in silence and wasn't discuss.

That happen because bundling Titanfall which isn't property of MS,Advertising money for the game and the $50 price drop took a toll on MS money for the division numbers just like it did on surface,unsold xbox one don't produce money,all the contrary you have to pay manufacturing cost for a product you have in excess and that is not producing.

How much do you think it cost MS to make 1 million xbox one and have then on store rooms.?

Last week, Microsoft reported its Q1 earnings, and filed the appropriate papers with the SEC. A look at the documents revealed that the Microsoft Surface has yet to sell in the volume necessary for the tablet to produce profits for the Redmond based software giant. In other words, each Surface sale is dripping more red ink on Microsoft's balance sheet.

For the three months ended March 31st, Microsoft lost $45 million on $494 million in Surface sales. For the nine month period ending in March, the red ink totaled $300 million on revenue of $1.8 billion. The cost of generating the Surface sales for each period was $539 million and $2.1 billion

Isn't surface also part of MS entertainment division.?

So they have 2 product losing money on the same division,the xbox one is very obvious that didn't make it money in this past months.

Once again MS can have all the money in the world it takes more than that to succeed,both xbox and xbox 360 and now the xbox one are a testament of that.

@delta3074 said:

It's not clueless, i a have a BTEC national diploma in business and finance, i know a bit about how Business works sunshine.

Clueless is somebody who doesn't have any qualifications or experience in business .

So tell me how it was good business for MS to pack in a game that isn't there's and selling the consoles with say game included for $110 dollars less than the actually value would have been,while you are on that subject tell me what happen when you selling something at $500 dollars give you such a small margin for profit that you think you may win something or at least brake even,but all of the sudden you have to sell it for $50 dollars under those $500 and pack in a game that will probably cost you $20 or $25 dollars per license.

lglz1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By lglz1337
Member since 2013 • 4959 Posts

a 68 year old company will not suddenly dissapear ladies, calm down playstation brand will be fine!

sony is doing bad because samsung is a cheap brand, sony is quality that comes with a high price!

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#126 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

@delta3074 said:

Learn about business dude

Enterprise value

'A measure of a company's value, often used as an alternative to straightforward market capitalization. Enterprise value is calculated as market cap plus debt, minority interest and preferred shares, minus total cash and cash equivalents.'

'Think of enterprise value as the theoretical takeover price. In the event of a buyout, an acquirer would have to take on the company's debt, but would pocket its cash. EV differs significantly from simple market capitalization in several ways, and many consider it to be a more accurate representation of a firm's value. The value of a firm's debt, for example, would need to be paid by the buyer when taking over a company, thus EV provides a much more accurate takeover valuation because it includes debt in its value calculation.'

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/e/enterprisevalue.asp

'thus EV provides a much more accurate takeover valuation because it includes debt in its value calculation.'

I already passed my BTEC national in business and finance so i DO have an idea what i am talking about, what are your qualifications again?

You're so qualified you copy/paste from Investopedia? lolok.

So what was it you were trying to argue? That Sony is a takeover target at 25 billion? And that with such an artificially depressed figure the true value of their various arms and assets declined to a portion of that? Sorry, no. EV is useful for determining the estimated costs of acquisition, assuming the target isn't adverse to the the purchase, and the shareholders consider the deal a fair reflection of company value. In Sony's case you have neither. EV still is centered around market capitalization to determine value, and Sony's stock price has little reflection on the value of the businesses that comprise Sony.

Sony has shed billions in real estate assets and a multibillion dollar PC arm, yet until the recent quarterly report the stock remained mostly flat, as if the "value of Sony was relatively unchanged. Why? Because stock prices aren't tied to anything resembling the actual worth of the company, but to investor sentiments about recent performance. And as long as you're trying to gauge the true worth of a company basing it off people's feelings is a dumb way to go. Sony sock could plummet 90% today, but that doesn't mean the value of the buildings Sony owns are now worth 10% of yesterdays value, and so on. Likewise, the stock could triple tomorrow, but the value of the assets that comprise Sony remain unchanged.

I'm really not sure why you disagree with that so...

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By shawn30

@Animal-Mother said:

@shawn30 said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@shawn30 said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@shawn30 said:

You expect some people to have at least some rapport and have a decent discussion. Like you in the past have.

And as far as this ain't CNN you sure act like it is especially with your crystal ball financial talk. It's not that I deny sony is in a financial rut ( because they are). But I hate the ignorance of how everyone talks about these situations as they completely have 100% understanding of it.

This is the only place in the world where someone uses their thoughts and misconstrues them as facts.

Please tell me what is the exact situation at sony. Because you understand it so well and are apparently there everyday.

Sony is restructuring their entire company, doing everything possible to trim the fat and cut costs, move away from buisness that are collapsing in failure, and fortifying what is doing well. They have had 5 straight years of massive losses, and 6 out of 7 years in total:

In 2013 Sony as a company loss $1.25 billion

In 2012 Sony loss $820 million - http://www.joystiq.com/2012/05/10/sonys-fiscal-2012-results-820-million-loss-due-to-floods-ear/

In 2011 Sony posted a record loss $5.73 billion - http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/10/sony-fy-2011-results/

In 2010 Sony loss $1.03 billion - http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/15/business/global/15sony.html

In 2009 Sony loss $439 million - http://www.techspot.com/news/38948-sony-posts-439-million-annual-loss-has-high-hopes-for-2010.html

Sony is facing an uphill climb to get out of debt, and should things get to a critical I believe Japan will step in and bail them out. I don't think under any circumstance Playstation will be sold, as its brand looks very strong. Bu the company itself is in a very bad sitiuation, woith no quick fix or magic button to repair the damage of the last 7 years. We will see what happens.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

@Animal-Mother: I've always been fairly bullish on Sony (or at least parts of Sony) recovering, but what is bad news for them is the state of the Japanese economy overall. The Japanese government flooded vast amounts into the economy in an attempt to kickstart it by devaluing the yen (making Japanese businesses more competitive and home and overseas) and trying to stop deflation. It was seen as a risky experiment in economics and so far it looks like it hasn't worked. Debt to GDP in 2013 was at an unsustainable 230% and they recently whacked up sales tax (hence the drop in recent sales in the Japanese market).

There are going to be tough times ahead and fingers crossed they can recover intact.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Animal-Mother

@shawn30 said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@shawn30 said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@shawn30 said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@shawn30 said:

Sony is restructuring their entire company, doing everything possible to trim the fat and cut costs, move away from buisness that are collapsing in failure, and fortifying what is doing well. They have had 5 straight years of massive losses, and 6 out of 7 years in total:

In 2013 Sony as a company loss $1.25 billion

In 2012 Sony loss $820 million - http://www.joystiq.com/2012/05/10/sonys-fiscal-2012-results-820-million-loss-due-to-floods-ear/

In 2011 Sony posted a record loss

$5.73 billion - http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/10/sony-fy-2011-results/

In 2010 Sony loss $1.03 billion - http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/15/business/global/15sony.html

In 2009 Sony loss $439 million - http://www.techspot.com/news/38948-sony-posts-439-million-annual-loss-has-high-hopes-for-2010.html

Sony is facing an uphill climb to get out of debt, and should things get to a critical I believe Japan will step in and bail them out. I don't think under any circumstance Playstation will be sold, as its brand looks very strong. Bu the company itself is in a very bad sitiuation, woith no quick fix or magic button to repair the damage of the last 7 years. We will see what happens.

And the good shawn is back. Not the idiotic person I was talking to an hour ago.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#130  Edited By blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@Heil68 said:

Well, at least you will have a lot of games to play if this ends up happening to Sony.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By Heil68

@blackace said:

@Heil68 said:

Well, at least you will have a lot of games to play if this ends up happening to Sony.

Sure, or if MS decides to ditch Xbox.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Animal-Mother

@blue_hazy_basic: No I agree. It's fun to pick the weakest of the heard. But you also have to look at things from a realistic standpoint sometimes.
And I agree with your sentiment. While Japan itself is struggling it's kinda like that everywhere. Maybe not to the degree that japan is but yeah all we can do is keep our fingers crossed.

Because in the global economy it kinda effects us all to a point.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 TigerSuperman
Member since 2013 • 4331 Posts

@shawn30 said:

Buy going into real estate Sony is putting a shield over building sales.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By TigerSuperman

@blue_hazy_basic said:

@Animal-Mother: I've always been fairly bullish on Sony (or at least parts of Sony) recovering, but what is bad news for them is the state of the Japanese economy overall. The Japanese government flooded vast amounts into the economy in an attempt to kickstart it by devaluing the yen (making Japanese businesses more competitive and home and overseas) and trying to stop deflation. It was seen as a risky experiment in economics and so far it looks like it hasn't worked. Debt to GDP in 2013 was at an unsustainable 230% and they recently whacked up sales tax (hence the drop in recent sales in the Japanese market).

There are going to be tough times ahead and fingers crossed they can recover intact.

Then there's the fact the older population is accelerating and I think slightly over 50% of all employed workers in work work split shifts with low hours with standard jobs, work from home, or working in foriegn based companies. This would mean that the lack jobs that get the economy moving, and the amount of spending (oh and the tac hike) are just making it harder.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Animal-Mother

@TigerSuperman said:

@blue_hazy_basic said:

Then there's the fact the older population is accelerating and I think slightly over 50% of all employed workers in work work split shifts with low hours with standard jobs, work from home, or working in foriegn based companies. This would mean that the lack jobs that get the economy moving, and the amount of spending (oh and the tac hike) are just making it harder.

Yeah man it's just tough.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 TigerSuperman

@Animal-Mother said:

@TigerSuperman said:

@blue_hazy_basic said:

Yeah man it's just tough.

Their facing the same problems NK has been facing basically. They just don't half 20% of the population doing prison work. Not a good sign.

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#137 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

Why can't Sony just dump the things that doesn't give them profit?

lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4862 Posts

@lglz1337 said:

a 68 year old company will not suddenly dissapear ladies, calm down playstation brand will be fine!

sony is doing bad because samsung is a cheap brand, sony is quality that comes with a high price!

You made 2 statements and both of them are inaccurate.

1. Age of a company has almost nothing to do with whether or not a company makes it or not. It does make a small difference when you're applying for credit (particularly in your first 10 years), but the numbers mean more than anything. Leman Brothers when belly up in 2008. They were in business for more than 2x longer than Sony (1850-2008) and their financial troubles didn't last as long.

2. Samsung is not a cheap brand. They are just eating Sony's lunch in the TV and phone sector. Samsung is the innovator in TV screen technology. The lesson companies should take from Sony is FOCUS on a few product sectors. A lot of older Asian companies (think Sony, Hyundai, Samsung) expanded in so many different fields and that leads to higher exposure from being too big and too slow.

lglz1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 lglz1337
Member since 2013 • 4959 Posts

@lhughey: nop they are not!

1st: sony will not go puf go up in smoke and be gone in a fingersnap! that is just wishfull thinking

2nd: overall samsung tv's and phones are cheaper compared too sony products and with this global economy recession people will buy the cheaper product.

lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4862 Posts

@lglz1337 said:

@lhughey: nop they are not!

1st: sony will not go puf go up in smoke and be gone in a fingersnap! that is just wishfull thinking

2nd: overall samsung tv's and phones are cheaper compared too sony products and with this global economy recession people will buy the cheaper product.

1. I never said Sony will be gone in a fingersnap. I said that using the age of the company as a barrier for them to go bankrupt is misguided. "Wishful thinking"? Where did I say that I wanted Sony to go bankrupt? I would never wish that for a large company that is comprised of thousands of workers with families.

2. Yes, they are less expensive (very slightly). But to be dismissive my by calling them a "cheap company" is inaccurate. They are pretty much the standard premium company in televisions. If you wanted to go low cost (cheap), there are many other companies to buy from.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
Member since 2002 • 7110 Posts

@FreedomFreeLife said:

Sony = $1.25 billion loss

Nintendo = $456 million loss

Microsoft = $21.86 billion profit

ouch!

ominous_titan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 ominous_titan
Member since 2009 • 1217 Posts

Only a cow can spin off 1.25 billion in losses as a positive and 22billion profit as a negative. I've seen stupid comments about things on the Internet and then there is Gamespot cow comments. Nothing is keeping Sony "afloat"thats what losses means. In four years or less Sony will not exist anymore. There is absolutely nothing they can do at this point to save themselvrs. Denying it just proves how clueless some of you are.

Daious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 Daious
Member since 2013 • 2315 Posts

Blame the failing vita and R&D

Daious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By Daious
Member since 2013 • 2315 Posts

@blackace said:

@Heil68 said:

I still don't understand why people post that picture.

There are plenty of good anti-sony things to post but that is just too far. People died. It was a natural disaster. If an earthquake/hurricane hit a city where an MS factory was and killed people within that city, would you think it was done in good taste?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Heil68

@daious said:

@blackace said:

@Heil68 said:

I still don't understand why people post that picture.

There are plenty of good anti-sony things to post but that is just too far. People died. It was a natural disaster. If an earthquake/hurricane hit a city where an MS factory was and killed people within that city, would you think it was done in good taste?

I think he really hates SONY. :(

ominous_titan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By ominous_titan
Member since 2009 • 1217 Posts

Japan's economy is nearly as bad as America's, you really think they'd bail out Sony so fat Americans can have their shiny toys instead of doing something about fukushima? Their own populace has abandoned the console market I doubt the people of ha pan that don't work for Sony could give two shots what happens to them. I'm fairly certain they would be told to fall on their sword if it came to that. Nintendo is the only Japanese video game maker the people may care about but that I doubt very much too. Which sucks I may add I've been a ps supporter since day 1.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#148  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Not a good sign. Sony have been hemoragging money for a while now, they really need to step it up, seal the leaks, and gain some ground back. They can only take losses for so long before they become company-ending.