Sony Balks On Cross Network Play

• 137 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 sHaDyCuBe321
Member since 2003 • 5769 Posts

Source

Speaking to Eurogamer at the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco, Yoshida said, "Because PC is an open platform it's much more straightforward. Connecting two different closed networks is much more complicated, so we have to work with developers and publishers to understand what it is they are trying to accomplish.

"We also have to look at the technical aspect - and the technical aspect could be the easiest. We also have to look at policy issues and business issues as well."

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#2 kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

Glad to see they are interested in participating. Great news for all gamers.

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 sHaDyCuBe321

@kvally said:

"We also have to look at policy issues and business issues as well"

I think this quote indicates that they're not really going to be interested in participating.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#4 Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

Don't do it Sony. It's a trap. MS wouldn't hear it when they were in the catbird seat, now Phil goes public in attempt to force Sony's hand. No thanks. What does Sony have to gain?

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Flyincloud1116

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:
@kvally said:

I think this quote indicates that they're not really going to be interested in participating.

Yes.

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By sHaDyCuBe321

@flyincloud1116 said:

What does Sony have to gain?

Nothing really, which is why it was a smart move by Microsoft to go out and state it publicly. If Sony accepts, Sony loses a major reason why people chose PS4 over XB1. If they don't, they look like bad guys who aren't really "for the gamer" like they claimed.

No company is "for the gamer". Every company is in it for themselves, their success and profit. Anyone who thinks otherwise is deluding themselves.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

@flyincloud1116 said:

Don't do it Sony. It's a trap. MS wouldn't hear it when they were in the catbird seat, now Phil goes public in attempt to force Sony's hand. No thanks. What does Sony have to gain?

M$ wants Sony to do it so they can start bragging about PS4's userbase playing with Xbox users in their monthly NPD loss damage control report.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Typical Sony. They talk all kinds of shit when they think they have the upper hand but as soon as you challenge them the backpedal like cowards. Adam Boyes was lying to people about this just a few days ago trying to put his best corporate spin on this. Thank you MS for once again exposing Sony's lies.

"We're always open to stuff like that," Boyes continued. "It's all about what the developers and publishers want to do. They get in touch with us and handle everything on a case by case basis."

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kvally

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:
@kvally said:

Nope, that means just the opposite. If they were not interested, they wouldn't look into any possible policy or business issues. Not to mention, they just said they are open to that. Again, great news for gamers.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Flyincloud1116

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:
@flyincloud1116 said:

Nothing really, which is why it was a smart move by Microsoft to go out and state it publicly. If Sony accepts, Sony loses a major reason why people chose PS4 over XB1. If they don't, they look like bad guys who aren't really "for the gamer" like they claimed.

No company is "for the gamer". Every company is in it for themselves, their success and profit. Anyone who thinks otherwise is deluding themselves.

You mean they may look bad to Lems and their cousins the Hermits, because Cows and Casuals either don't want it or don't care. Hermits just like jumping on the Lem bandwagon.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@flyincloud1116 said:

M$ wants Sony to do it so they can start bragging about PS4's userbase playing with Xbox users in their monthly NPD loss damage control report.

Well, Sony already knows their players aren't nearly as good at games as Xbox gamers so it makes sense that they wouldn't want this to happen.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

So why are people against this?

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By sHaDyCuBe321

@kvally said:
@sHaDyCuBe321 said:
@kvally said:

Nope, that means just the opposite. If they were not interested, they wouldn't look into any possible policy or business issues. Not to mention, they just said they are open to that. Again, great news for gamers.

You realize that "looking into policy issues" is just code for "we're trying to find a reason to say we can't because this is of no benefit to us".

thedork_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By thedork_knight
Member since 2011 • 2664 Posts

@flyincloud1116 said:
@sHaDyCuBe321 said:
@flyincloud1116 said:

You mean they may look bad to Lems and their cousins the Hermits, because Cows and Casuals either don't want it or don't care. Hermits just like jumping on the Lem bandwagon.

Really why would it look bad on MS? Where did you get that casuals dont care? any links? It will make sony look bad as "the casuals" will see that MS are trying to get everyone to play together but sony wont do it, so the casuals wont be able to play their mates on other consoles.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#15 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

@lostrib said:

Because something, something, useless banter, cows go "Moooooo".

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 sHaDyCuBe321

@flyincloud1116 said:
@sHaDyCuBe321 said:
@flyincloud1116 said:

because Cows and Casuals either don't want it or don't care

You can't be serious. This goes beyond fanboys. People have been BEGGING for this for YEARS.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:
@kvally said:

No that is what you get from that if there is one company that has being open ab out online play is sony,trying to pretend now that sony is not up for it,when MS is doing this because they are getting their but royally kick is a joke.

Since the PS2 days sony allowed PC vs console,on 2 different networks bu PC IS OPEN even if MS make the OS and that is something people can't grasp that is why some developer were complaining about MS new ecosystem which basically created an enclosed environment inside an open one.

Policies from both side can prevent this,in fact it was MS policies who had prohibit this for a long time,even PC vs Xbox let alone Xbox vs PS.

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts
@mems_1224 said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@flyincloud1116 said:

Well, Sony already knows their players aren't nearly as good at games as Xbox gamers so it makes sense that they wouldn't want this to happen.

lol I'm sure Sony don't give a **** about how good people are at games, and care way more about MS's attempt to grab on-the-fence people whose friends bought a PS4.

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 sHaDyCuBe321

@tormentos said:
@sHaDyCuBe321 said:
@kvally said:

No that is what you get from that if there is one company that has being open ab out online play is sony,trying to pretend now that sony is not up for it,when MS is doing this because they are getting their but royally kick is a joke.

Since the PS2 days sony allowed PC vs console,on 2 different networks bu PC IS OPEN even if MS make the OS and that is something people can't grasp that is why some developer were complaining about MS new ecosystem which basically created an enclosed environment inside an open one.

Policies from both side can prevent this,in fact it was MS policies who had prohibit this for a long time,even PC vs Xbox let alone Xbox vs PS.

Which is exactly my point. Both companies are in it for themselves. MS didn't want to do this last gen because they didn't want to give people a reason to pick PS over Xbox (Well if I buy a PS3 I can still play with my friends on 360) and Sony won't do it this gen because they don't want to give people a reason to pick XB1 over PS4 (Well if I buy a XB1 I can still play with my friends on PS4).

It makes no sense for the market leader to allow you to play with a competing console

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:
@tormentos said:
@sHaDyCuBe321 said:
@kvally said:

Which is exactly my point. Both companies are in it for themselves. MS didn't want to do this last gen because they didn't want to give people a reason to pick PS over Xbox (Well if I buy a PS3 I can still play with my friends on 360) and Sony won't do it this gen because they don't want to give people a reason to pick XB1 over PS4 (Well if I buy a XB1 I can still play with my friends on PS4).

It makes no sense for the market leader to allow you to play with a competing console

Yup Yup!

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

So Sony actually wants me to by an xbone to play with my friends? But I don't want to

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

I'm not convinced that Sony gets anything out of this. The advantage for MS is very clear, but beyond that, it doesn't make a lot of sense for anyone else involved.

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts
@Shewgenja said:

I'm not convinced that Sony gets anything out of this. The advantage for MS is very clear, but beyond that, it doesn't make a lot of sense for anyone else involved.

And Sony look like dicks now soo, well played MS basically.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ni6htmare01

@Shewgenja said:

Yup. It is clear that this is the plan for MS to sell more Bone with the help of PS4..

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

Why are some focusing on what will Sony get out of this or not. It's not about them. This feature is for the players for the gamers. Stuff like this really expose those who are for the gamers and those who are not. Microsoft continues the campaign to make gaming great again. Hopefully others will finally follow their lead.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Flyincloud1116

@thedork_knight said:
@flyincloud1116 said:
@sHaDyCuBe321 said:
@flyincloud1116 said:

Really why would it look bad on MS? Where did you get that casuals dont care? any links? It will make sony look bad as "the casuals" will see that MS are trying to get everyone to play together but sony wont do it, so the casuals wont be able to play their mates on other consoles.

Who said anything about MS looking bad?

I don't want it and I know casuals that just don't care.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Flyincloud1116

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:
@flyincloud1116 said:
@sHaDyCuBe321 said:
@flyincloud1116 said:

You can't be serious. This goes beyond fanboys. People have been BEGGING for this for YEARS.

Sure they have. I have never seen this on any recommendation from PS4 nor X1 fans when asked by both Sony and MS, and I highly doubt casual actually care. Get out here with that. You may want it.

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 sHaDyCuBe321

@flyincloud1116 said:
@sHaDyCuBe321 said:
@flyincloud1116 said:
@sHaDyCuBe321 said:
@flyincloud1116 said:

Sure they have. I have never seen this on any recommendation from PS4 nor X1 fans when asked by both Sony and MS, and I highly doubt casual actually care. Get out here with that. You may want it.

Again, your finger must be far removed from the pulse of reality. But you can go ahead and continue to pretend that people having been asking for cross-play for generations...

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#29  Edited By remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

@gago-gago said:

Why are some focusing on what will Sony get out of this or not. It's not about them..

Because they are corporate slaves aka fanboys.

This should be a good thing for all gamers, and it could also ease the console war a bit since it could potentially allow everyone to play together (with friends) on multiplats, regardless of their platform of preference. But instead of fighting for that, some continue to care about a company (all companies) that really doesn't care about them. I'll never understand that.

You guys should be wanting to bring the gaming communities together. Especially if you're really a gamer. Just sayin..

Avatar image for terminalyinsane
TerminalyInsane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TerminalyInsane
Member since 2016 • 99 Posts

@mems_1224: Spoken like a true fanboy. If you are an elite gamer the system doesn't matter. It's all about the skills. I have both systems and I have seen great players on both systems. Why so much hate. People have preferences. Why do you need your choice validated. I don't. Sounds like you are doubting yours and need reassurance.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Flyincloud1116

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:
@flyincloud1116 said:
@sHaDyCuBe321 said:
@flyincloud1116 said:
@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

Again, your finger must be far removed from the pulse of reality. But you can go ahead and continue to pretend that people having been asking for cross-play for generations...

Yes, you and your friends count as people.

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By sHaDyCuBe321

@flyincloud1116 said:
@sHaDyCuBe321 said:
@flyincloud1116 said:
@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

Yeah asshole, we do, but so does everyone else that has asked for this for gens. Just because you're too much of a fanboy to recognize that, or too young to remember doesn't mean it's not true.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By kvally

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:
@kvally said:
@sHaDyCuBe321 said:
@kvally said:

You realize that "looking into policy issues" is just code for "we're trying to find a reason to say we can't because this is of no benefit to us".

False. But it's cool that you can determine what Sony thinks on your own, even though they have told us the opposite. As a PS gamer, myself and millions of others are excited about this.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ni6htmare01

@gago-gago said:

Why are some focusing on what will Sony get out of this or not. It's not about them. This feature is for the players for the gamers. Stuff like this really expose those who are for the gamers and those who are not. Microsoft continues the campaign to make gaming great again. Hopefully others will finally follow their lead.

I don't think people actually care what Sony or MS get out of this but rather to predict why, or If Sony will go along or not.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Flyincloud1116

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:
@flyincloud1116 said:
@sHaDyCuBe321 said:
@flyincloud1116 said:
@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

Yeah asshole, we do, but so does everyone else that has asked for this for gens. Just because you're too much of a fanboy to recognize that, or too young to remember doesn't mean it's not true.

Ah, the old cliche remarks from limited intelligence. This only happens when a nerve has been severely touched. Now it will be followed by the obligatory, " You haven't touched anything" response.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@flyincloud1116 said:
@sHaDyCuBe321 said:
@flyincloud1116 said:
@sHaDyCuBe321 said:
@flyincloud1116 said:

I do believe people have been asking for cross platform play for a while. This isn't something that hasn't been discussed in the past. I really don't get why anyone would have issues with this. This only benefits the games as they'll have a larger online user base for which to play.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 kvally

@kingtito said:
@flyincloud1116 said:
@sHaDyCuBe321 said:
@flyincloud1116 said:
@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

I do believe people have been asking for cross platform play for a while. This isn't something that hasn't been discussed in the past. I really don't get why anyone would have issues with this. This only benefits the games as they'll have a larger online user base for which to play.

The only people that don't like it are the PS fans. The rest of us, which are the multiconsole fans, PC and Xbox fans love this news.

WeepsForFools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 WeepsForFools
Member since 2012 • 793 Posts

@lostrib said:

i for one wouldn't want PSN interacting with LIVE at all.

Razik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#39  Edited By Razik
Member since 2015 • 965 Posts

Lots of gamers made the switch to PS4 this gen, so previous X360 owners who's friends now have PS4 would probably buy PS4 to play online with friends, MS knows this so want to make sure they don't buy a PS4 and can stick with X1 and still play with their friends that jumped ship

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

Hmmmmm well I bought an Xbone to play some games online with friends. If this feature had been available from the get go I probably would have bought a PS4.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Flyincloud1116

@razik said:

Lots of gamers made the switch to PS4 this gen, so previous X360 owners who's friends now have PS4 would probably buy PS4 to play online with friends, MS knows this so want to make sure they don't buy a PS4 and can stick with X1 and still play with their friends that jumped ship

Bingo.

I asked what does Sony have to gain, nothing. However, they do have something to lose, potential sales.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#42  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

@flyincloud1116 said:
@razik said:

Bingo.

I asked what does Sony have to gain, nothing. However, they do have something to lose, potential sales.

I think yall are close, but i actually think its that Xbox has strong online user base for certain games in America while UK has strong user base in those same games but on PS4.

Like for example, The Division might be super big on Xbox compared to PS4 in America, while in the UK The Division on PS4 has much larger base then Xbox.

So lets take Plants vs Zombies PW2, in America most are playing on Xbox, but in UK, most are playing on PS4. I think thats why they want to come together now.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@flyincloud1116 said:
@razik said:

Bingo.

How many PS4s have been sold? 36M and how many 360s/PS3s sold last gen? Roughly 160M+. So either the math is WAAAYYY off or someone is lying. No way you're going to say lot's of 360 owners switched with only 36M out of a possible 160M+ user base. Have some 360 users switched? Sure, but a lot? I highly doubt it.

How is Sony or MS going to lose potential from cross platform play? This benefits both sides and gives and advantage to neither. Why would a TRUE gamer want to limit the amount of available players to play with online?

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#44 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

I hope they do it for a few select titles, if only to spice up the online. They are already doing it with PC anyways, for those worried PS4 will lose sales because of this, this could have already happened "oh I don't need to buy a PS4 to play Rocket League with my friends who only own a PS4, I can play against them from my PC".

And as many people here keep saying, nobody wants a pos XBone right? So it will have little impact on sales imo, and the same could be said in reverse as well(MS losing some sales because existing ps4 user can play with his friend who is on XBL).

Anyways, at least the RL dev seems very excited about this, here is a quote from them not too long ago:

To say that the team here at Psyonix is both honored and excited to have Rocket League as the first cross-network game is a massive understatement. Cross-network play has been the number-one most requested feature our community has asked for since Rocket League was first announced on Xbox One, and now that we are able to pursue complete online unity on all platforms, today’s announcement is a dream come true

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 kvally

@WeepsForFools said:
@lostrib said:

You would have that choice. Choice is a good thing.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

Let's see how all how X1 games cry when PC gamers mop them up.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

This is why Microsoft are pushing for windows 10 apps, if a dev uses it then it's automatically cross play I would assume.

I will laugh if some games end up being only cross play if you have bought the Windows store version, we will see.

As for Sony, it's up to Microsoft how they want to support it, will Xbox and PSN end up with shared friends lists and all that? Isn't it pointless for a lot of games if you don't at least have communication functions outside the game.

WeepsForFools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 WeepsForFools
Member since 2012 • 793 Posts

@kvally said:
@WeepsForFools said:
@lostrib said:

You would have that choice. Choice is a good thing.

how do you figure? if PSN is connected to LIVE for 1 game, the systems are talking to each other and makes LIVE more vulnerable.. no thanks

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#49  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69744 Posts

@Heil68 said:

Speaking from experience with PS4 gamers being mopped?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

@Pedro said:
@Heil68 said:

Speaking from experience with PS4 gamers being mopped?

Well when you are current gen 8 console leader like SONY is, you have to mop a lot of the backwash that's left in your wake like X1 and Wiiu.

My point was letting a console gamer compete against a PC gamer with kb/m.