SMG2 Vs MGS4

• 197 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

louisfoxton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#151 louisfoxton
Member since 2007 • 1400 Posts

So SMG2 is winning for gameplay,And MGS4 is winning for the story.

Ramen1020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#153 Ramen1020
Member since 2009 • 1031 Posts

[QUOTE="wasted_wisdom"][QUOTE="louisfoxton"] That not true MGS4 deserve a 10.0 the game was funny and fun

Master_ShakeXXX

You're all ignoring the fact that every reviewer highlighted how well polished and detailed mgs4 was. The game defines 10.00/10.00. The game stretched anything we've ever seen in a game and as if comparing it to smg wasn't already an insult enough you're trying to say it's inferior? Yeah, you're done.

This. MGS4 is perfect, and it's in the top 5 greatest games of all time.

SMG2 is in the top 3...

Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#154 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

People who don't like Mario have a cold cold heart.

Sonicplys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 Sonicplys
Member since 2004 • 2603 Posts

SMG2 is the apex of modern gaming. MGS3 is way better than MGS4 and deserves that 10 more.

Arthas017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 Arthas017
Member since 2010 • 295 Posts

MGS4 FTW!

Mario games, I still enjoy them on a NES, SNES or N64... same for MGS1, 2, 3 and of course, 4 :P

EVOLV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 EVOLV3
Member since 2008 • 12210 Posts

I don't particularly enjoy 3D Mario games, so I find Metal Gear Solid 4 vastly superior.

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#158 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
for me. SMG2. the reason is because you don't have to have played any other games to get full enjoyment from it. all the talk in mgs4 makes very little sense if you haven't kept up with the series.
hd5870corei7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#159 hd5870corei7
Member since 2010 • 1612 Posts

Metal Gear Solid 4 for me :P The most stunning video game ever made :)

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
SMG2. To me, it didn't deserve the 10, but it was still a better game than MGS4.
criinok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#162 criinok
Member since 2006 • 1478 Posts

Both games aren't best games of the year, and both games have nothing to do with each other.

That being said... GTA: San Andreas

Bazooka_4ME

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 Bazooka_4ME
Member since 2008 • 2540 Posts
I think someone mentioned it here already... MGS4 = more epic SMG2 = more fun
AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#164 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

Think about it SMG2 and MGS4 are the best games this gen.Which one do u think u had the most fun with. Which You think is better they both got 10.0.

louisfoxton

Apple vs oranges!!! SMG2 vs MGS4....... Totally different taste , totally different genre.

Melon vs Melon !!! 10 vs 10 ... Same score...

To compare a different genre, whos better etc or same score... whos better!!??? Whoever answer to this must be hater/fan to one or the other Or like better platform over action/stealth or vice versa...

Period since both are 10s and both are so different. Thats all .. So which is better?!! lol..Im out

khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#165 khoofia_pika
Member since 2006 • 16761 Posts
While I like MGS4, I would anyday prefer Mass Effect 2 or Uncharted 2 over it. Out of the two you mentioned, I think SMG2 is better.
Postal_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 Postal_Guy
Member since 2006 • 2643 Posts

MGS4 was the first MGS game i've ever played and I absolutely loved it. dont really like Mario on the other hand so I go for MGS4

Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#167 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

MGS4 is the god of video games. Any game that wants to be considered great must first ask MGS4 to show it mercy and take the time to judge said game. If MGS4 decides the game is worthy of a 10, it gets a 10. That's how SMG2 got a 10, by praying to MGS4.

EmptySki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#168 EmptySki
Member since 2004 • 3743 Posts

i like GTA4 better than both. that got a 10 too

Vinegar_Strokes
Poor taste. GTAIV was lammeeee. nothing like driving ur gf around as a mission. There is nothing to do in GTA4 in between missions. Nothing. RDR beats that with side missions being better than GTAIV's main missions.
x8VXU6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 x8VXU6
Member since 2008 • 3411 Posts

MGS 4 no doubt

reyad-u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#170 reyad-u
Member since 2006 • 6960 Posts
I haven't played SMG2 but I'm sure I would enjoy it far more, I've always enjoyed mario games. MGS4 was the second MGS game I've played, first being TTS and for me not much has changed. The story was decent, although it didn't pull me in but as soon as you could control snake once again I found it to be very much an average game.
Indie_Hitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 Indie_Hitman
Member since 2008 • 2457 Posts

Like comparing a diamond to a turd

Thunderdrone
SMG2 isn't that bad...
Jipset

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 Jipset
Member since 2008 • 2410 Posts

MGS4 on the harder difficulties = awesomesauce.

Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 Master_ShakeXXX

[QUOTE="Thunderdrone"]

Indie_Hitman

SMG2 isn't that bad...

Yeah, seriously. It may not compare to MGS4, but it's not a TURD.

Sandvichman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 Sandvichman
Member since 2010 • 4006 Posts

[QUOTE="Indie_Hitman"][QUOTE="Thunderdrone"]

Master_ShakeXXX

SMG2 isn't that bad...

Yeah, seriously. It may not compare to MGS4, but it's not a TURD.

Well his commen backfired. :lol:
hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#175 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
[QUOTE="Thunderdrone"]

Indie_Hitman
SMG2 isn't that bad...

I think he meant the other way around...
Jipset

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 Jipset
Member since 2008 • 2410 Posts
[QUOTE="Indie_Hitman"][QUOTE="Thunderdrone"]

hiphops_savior
SMG2 isn't that bad...

I think you meant the other way around... around? :P
Indie_Hitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 Indie_Hitman
Member since 2008 • 2457 Posts
[QUOTE="hiphops_savior"][QUOTE="Indie_Hitman"] SMG2 isn't that bad...Jipset

I think you meant the other way around... around? :P

C'mon guys, this arguments just going round in circles.
hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#178 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
To be honest, I have to say that Super Mario Galaxy 2 offers the most that matters in a game, and it's fun. I don't care about Koopas being conscripted into Bowser's army or Toads protesting about their wages, I just want to play the game and have fun. What Super Mario Galaxy 2 does is immerse the player in the level design, tight control, great music, and surprises here and there. That game I've had the most fun in a long time.
StealthedRogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 StealthedRogue
Member since 2006 • 1341 Posts

For me I would go for MGS simply because Im a fan of the series.

That is not to say that Galaxy isnt awesome though.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#180 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44679 Posts
let's see, you can play SMGS2, you watch MGS4
Avatar image for SpiritOfFire117
SpiritOfFire117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 SpiritOfFire117
Member since 2009 • 8537 Posts
Do we have to have one of these every other week? Also, SMG2.
caryslan2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 caryslan2
Member since 2005 • 2486 Posts

[QUOTE="louisfoxton"]

[QUOTE="hyper_trunkx"]loved mgs4. havent played smg2...dont care to.wasted_wisdom

Why would u come to this thread if u havent played both.

Because anything that has to do with mario repels gamers like me. If I was to setup two stations at a party and have the wii mario galaxy and another booth with mgs4, the boys will crowd aroung mgs4 and the girls will be immediately drawn to the rainbow colors and cuteness of smg. So honestly all I see is mario this mario that. All I see is "characters without arms." I'm sorry but you keep your mushroom addict and I'll keep my cigarette addict.

So, you're problem with Mario is that it appeals more to females? I'm a 24 year old male and I enjoy Mario Sonic, and Kirby games just as much as I enjoy MGS, Resident Evil and other mature rated franchises. Why is it always an obbession for some people to attack games just because the themes aren't "mature" enough?

For me, its about how fun a game is. I could care less if there is blood spraying all the screen or the character is a cute little blob that eats up enemies to steal their powers.

If a game is fun, that's all that matters. That's why I never understand the people who willingly cut themselves out of fun experiences just because a game may not be "mature" or fails to deliver an overblown hollywood-level storyline.

What happened to playing a video game for the sake of having fun?

Avatar image for themagicbum9720
themagicbum9720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 themagicbum9720
Member since 2007 • 6536 Posts
i dont have to play mgs4 to know that i won't like it. i never liked any of the mgs games, so i pick smg2.
Avatar image for ChrisSpartan117
ChrisSpartan117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 ChrisSpartan117
Member since 2008 • 4519 Posts

MGS4 destroys smg2, only sheep will tell you otherwise

GramDubs

Only famboys would say either game sucks:|

Guaracy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#185 Guaracy-
Member since 2010 • 653 Posts

So hard to pick a best game this gen... Well, the best shooter is hands down, Killzone 2, IMO.

But best game in general... Agh. Maybe Red Dead Redemption... Uncharted 2, or GTA IV... I dunno. Forza Motorsport 3 is too overlooked, too. That game is face-melting.

LittleBigPlanet is a tremendous contender as well.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#186 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts
I've played both and I've found SMG2 to have better gameplay, level design, and more entertainment, while MGS4 has a better story, more memorable characters, and probably better boss fights. But the two games are so different and it's unfair to compare them just because they both got a 10 this gen. It's like comparing Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 to GTAIV. Overall I think SMG2 is a better game because I just had more fun with it. Time and time again I'll be replaying it consistently. Somehow, I can't see someone replaying MGS4 over and over again. SMG2 just has that "fun" factor, and it manages to keep it each time you play the game, even if you're playing the same level. This is just me, of course. Having enjoyed both games.
Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#187 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

[QUOTE="wasted_wisdom"][QUOTE="louisfoxton"] That not true MGS4 deserve a 10.0 the game was funny and fun

Master_ShakeXXX

You're all ignoring the fact that every reviewer highlighted how well polished and detailed mgs4 was. The game defines 10.00/10.00. The game stretched anything we've ever seen in a game and as if comparing it to smg wasn't already an insult enough you're trying to say it's inferior? Yeah, you're done.

This. MGS4 is perfect, and it's in the top 5 greatest games of all time.

By whose standard? Yours? Fanboys? Gamerankings lists SMG2 as the third-highest rated game of all time, below SMG1 and OoT. MGS4 isn't even on the first page of highest-rated games, and its predecessors (MGS2/MGS1) rank higher than it. Of course, this is by average critical score. This has nothing to do with your own opinion. But it really frustrates me when fanboys attempt to pass off their opinion as fact.
tryagainlater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#188 tryagainlater
Member since 2005 • 7446 Posts

Both games are amazing but I'd say MGS4 is the better game. Uncharted 2 is the best game this gen IMO though.

Ultra_Combo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 Ultra_Combo
Member since 2009 • 1494 Posts

GramDubs

Gamerankings, and Metacritic will tell you otherwise also...hmm who to believe Cow or........... ah I'll go with the majority of gaming reviewers.

Hahadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 Hahadouken
Member since 2009 • 5546 Posts
MGS4. Great thread, totally needed this. The more MGS4 vs SMG2 threads the merrier, especially ones with no polls.
Hahadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 Hahadouken
Member since 2009 • 5546 Posts

[QUOTE="GramDubs"]

Ultra_Combo

Gamerankings, and Metacritic will tell you otherwise also...hmm who to believe Cow or........... ah I'll go with the majority of gaming reviewers.

Or just have your own opinion, that's a third option which exists that you may not have considered.
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 Master_ShakeXXX

To be honest, I have to say that Super Mario Galaxy 2 offers the most that matters in a game, and it's fun. I don't care about Koopas being conscripted into Bowser's army or Toads protesting about their wages, I just want to play the game and have fun. What Super Mario Galaxy 2 does is immerse the player in the level design, tight control, great music, and surprises here and there. That game I've had the most fun in a long time.hiphops_savior

SMG2 may be fun, but MGS4 is so much more than simply being fun. It left me in total awe and amazement. It's an experience that you live, and the first time can never be topped. It's like watching a show like The Wire for the first time, or The Godfather. It just leaves you speechless and in a vegetative state from witnessing something so god-like. That's what MGS4 is. A masterpiece of art in every true sense of the word.

Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10141 Posts

[QUOTE="hiphops_savior"]To be honest, I have to say that Super Mario Galaxy 2 offers the most that matters in a game, and it's fun. I don't care about Koopas being conscripted into Bowser's army or Toads protesting about their wages, I just want to play the game and have fun. What Super Mario Galaxy 2 does is immerse the player in the level design, tight control, great music, and surprises here and there. That game I've had the most fun in a long time.Master_ShakeXXX

SMG2 may be fun, but MGS4 is so much more than simply being fun. It left me in total awe and amazement. It's an experience that you live, and the first time can never be topped. It's like watching a show like The Wire for the first time, or The Godfather. It just leaves to speachless and in a vegetative state from witnessing something so god-like. That's what MGS4 is.

And SMG 2 isn't? Listen, I bought a PS3 pretty much for MGs 4 and I loved it very much. One of the best games of the generation. But the greatness of SMG 2 and the brilliant simplicity of its design outweighs MGS 4 in my opinion. SMG 2 is truly perfect.

Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 Master_ShakeXXX

[QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"]

[QUOTE="hiphops_savior"]To be honest, I have to say that Super Mario Galaxy 2 offers the most that matters in a game, and it's fun. I don't care about Koopas being conscripted into Bowser's army or Toads protesting about their wages, I just want to play the game and have fun. What Super Mario Galaxy 2 does is immerse the player in the level design, tight control, great music, and surprises here and there. That game I've had the most fun in a long time.organic_machine

SMG2 may be fun, but MGS4 is so much more than simply being fun. It left me in total awe and amazement. It's an experience that you live, and the first time can never be topped. It's like watching a show like The Wire for the first time, or The Godfather. It just leaves to speachless and in a vegetative state from witnessing something so god-like. That's what MGS4 is.

And SMG 2 isn't? Listen, I bought a PS3 pretty much for MGs 4 and I loved it very much. One of the best games of the generation. But the greatness of SMG 2 and the brilliant simplicity of its design outweighs MGS 4 in my opinion. SMG 2 is truly perfect.

Well if that works for you, awesome, but I gotta have both an amazing story AND amazing gameplay to declare a game a true masterpiece (with the exception of Resident Evil 4 and Metroid Prime). Not only were both of those departments perfect in MGS4, but they were alsopefectly intertwined into one magical gaming experience. That's something that, in my opinion, no other game has achieved yet.

djsifer01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 djsifer01
Member since 2005 • 7238 Posts
Not a fan of Mario, so, even if i had my Wii i would never play it. MGS4 is one of the best games ever.
Kokuro_Kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 Kokuro_Kun
Member since 2009 • 2339 Posts
Both are great games, like it or not, as a gamer you should appreciate them both.
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 Master_ShakeXXX

Most consider The Wire to be the greatest tv show of all time. Most consider TheGodfather to be the greatestfilm of all time. Most considerthe Mona Lisato be the greatest painting of all time. And I wholeheartedly believe that with time, MGS4 will join those masterpieces as the greatest form of art in it's respective category.