Shenmue 3 Kickstarter Hinting At Xbox One Stretch Goal

• 101 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60723 Posts

its multi plat anyways, just release the game.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#52 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

lol if this comes to xbone that would be such a giant fail on sony's part.

Shenmue was never on a Sony console , so why would be a fail?

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@Ant_17 said:
@mems_1224 said:

because they dedicated 5 minutes at their e3 to make a big show of it and it was one of their few actual announcements.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

I don't care! bring it to Mac, Xbox, Wii-u, Wii, NX 3DS whatever hell! Just get more people donate!

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

@mems_1224: "few actual announcements"......riiiiiight.

C'mon mems. Don't go off the deep end.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Ant_17

@mems_1224 said:
@Ant_17 said:
@mems_1224 said:

because they dedicated 5 minutes at their e3 to make a big show of it and it was one of their few actual announcements.

So they showing that Shenmue 3 is coming , means its PS4 exclusive?

And now if they say maybe coming to Xbone its a fail to Sony?

And another thing:Who was gonna show the Kickstarter?Bethesda?Square?EA? Not saying MS because maybe they saw if just Sony showed it , its enought.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#57 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20266 Posts

This is all pretty obvoius. Sony had to pad their E3 so they offered to showcase it on their stage. Sega knows PS4 is the market leader for next gen consoles at the moment, so they picked the PS4 for their lead platform. If Sony was funding it, it would be exclusive and it wouldn't be a kickstarter.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Desmonic  Moderator

@GreySeal9 said:
@heretrix said:

I think this project is going to be a total disaster.

It's not being handled very well at all.

How people figure that out much from basically an announcement is a mystery :S

I mean it can and likely will since nostalgia is hard to please unless you stroke the right chords. That said, we've seen nothing yet to judge it. In any way really. All we know is that it's funded, Sony + others are indeed helping in some way or form and so far there are 2 platforms announced/confirmed. That's it.

playharderfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 playharderfool
Member since 2009 • 2085 Posts

@mems_1224 said:
@Ant_17 said:
@mems_1224 said:

You mean like, RISE OF THE TOMB RAIDER at the MS conference? lololol

Please tell us more about what makes a giant fail mems it's quite interesting :D

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Shenmue's 3 console exclusivity on PS4 looks ever more uncertain today after Ys Net updated its Kickstarter FAQ.

The answer to the question about additional platform versions now reads: "Currently we are planning development only for PC (Windows) and PS4. Other platforms have not been decided yet. If other platform versions were added as rewards, an announcement would be made on the update page."

This suggests that an Xbox One version could be added as a stretch goal reward.

The FAQ also made the same comment in relation to a physical PS4 version - "If a physical copy was added as a reward, an announcement would be made on the update page."

SOURCE

Hmmm. Looks like Sony's involvement in this entire project may, in fact, be zero. Apart from taking the time out in their E3 conference to announce the Kickstarter on stage, and be attached forever to the project as its savior.

Which is a bit gross.

Wot?

It's been stated countless times that Sony is supporting this game beyond an E3 announcement.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#61 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19689 Posts

The irony is that... it was Sony which killed Shenmue in the first place... And now Sony is trying to redeem themselves by giving the spotlight to a franchise they killed.

Either way, whether it's Sony or Microsoft, exclusive or multi-platform, I couldn't care less how YS Net raises the funds. They could even raise the funds from the Yakuza for all I care... *cough* Nintendo *cough*

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Ant_17

@Jag85 said:

The irony is that... it was Sony which killed Shenmue in the first place... And now Sony is trying to redeem themselves by giving the spotlight to a franchise they killed.

Either way, whether it's Sony or Microsoft, exclusive or multi-platform, I couldn't care less how YS Net raises the funds. They could even raise the funds from the Yakuza for all I care... *cough* Nintendo *cough*

What do yo mean?

SonySoldier-_-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 SonySoldier-_-
Member since 2012 • 1186 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Shenmue's 3 console exclusivity on PS4 looks ever more uncertain today after Ys Net updated its Kickstarter FAQ.

The answer to the question about additional platform versions now reads: "Currently we are planning development only for PC (Windows) and PS4. Other platforms have not been decided yet. If other platform versions were added as rewards, an announcement would be made on the update page."

The FAQ also made the same comment in relation to a physical PS4 version - "If a physical copy was added as a reward, an announcement would be made on the update page."

SOURCE

Hmmm. Looks like Sony's involvement in this entire project may, in fact, be zero. Apart from taking the time out in their E3 conference to announce the Kickstarter on stage, and be attached forever to the project as its savior.

Which is a bit gross.

People were asking him if Shenmue 3 would ever be available for other platforms and he was just answering the question.

Of course it "could" be made for Xbone. Anything could happen. Any of us could die in our sleep tonight. Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.

But regardless, Japanese games tend to always sell very poorly on Xbox consoles compared to Nintendo and Playstation consoles. That's why MS wasted money on games like Blue Dragoon and Lost Odyssey.

So I wouldn't expect MS to start forking over money for a game like Shenmue 3. I know Balmers comments after the salt from Street Fighter 5 has lemmmings expecting a big game that we're all still waiting to see what it is. I think balmer would be better off trying to hit a grand slam with a game like GTA6 that would actually have a huge impact

But watch now lemmings will all the sudden start praising kick starter instead of bashing it and start actually calling it Shenmue 3 instead of Shitmue 3 since you're giving them hope.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By ni6htmare01

@Jag85 said:

lol. I don't think Sony kills it. Not enough people support was more like it and It cost tons of money to made so Sega was not going to make a third one even if Dreamcast manage to survive. You have players that don't like games like the Shenmue (lack of guns, car and killing lol) So games like Shenmue and Yakuza are never big in US. If anything Sony kill the Dreamcast only! And like you say! I don't care how YS raise the Fund! All I want is the damn game and I will buy which ever console that Shenmue lands on if it somehow become an exclusive!!

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Jag85

@ni6htmare01 said:

lol. I don't think Sony kills it. Not enough people support was more like it and It cost tons of money to made so Sega was not going to make a third one even if Dreamcast manage to survive. You have players that don't like games like the Shenmue (lack of guns, car and killing lol) So games like Shenmue and Yakuza are never big in US. If anything Sony kill the Dreamcast only! And like you say! I don't care how YS raise the Fund! All I want is the damn game and I will buy which ever console that Shenmue lands on if it somehow become an exclusive!!

While I disagree about Sony not having anything to do with the demise of Shenmue... I agree with that last part.

It makes no difference to me who is supporting Shenmue III, as long as it gets all the support it needs to become a reality.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 ni6htmare01

@Jag85 said:
@ni6htmare01 said:

While I disagree about Sony not having anything to do with the demise of Shenmue... I agree with that last part.

It makes no difference to me who is supporting Shenmue III, as long as it gets all the support it needs to become a reality.

Honesty speaking, I really hope that it lands on more platforms so other Shenmue fans can donate the project! Right now the funding is slowing down and a lot of people think they are getting scam which I don't know why. The bottom line. Do you like Shenmue? Do you want Shenmue and you will get the game once you donate $29 anyway which is cheaper than most Digital only games for console. So really, who cares if somehow Sony, MS or who ever FXXK is funding it as well!

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#67  Edited By 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6205 Posts

I do not really think the budget is enough to support multiplatform release.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178881 Posts

@charizard1605 said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Is this one of your neogafs finds again

Do you ever actually contribute anything worthwhile, or are all of your posts just off topic tangents to increase your post count?

Ouch.

I don't read that as necessarily saying it's going to go to X1. Nonetheless isn't the Sony involvement for the marketing for the PS4? That doesn't preclude other platforms.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#69 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

So, announce the game for PS4 and PC and hint that Xbox One may be added as a stretch goal afterthought? lolz. I don't think they'll do that but it would be hilarious if they did.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

So a Mac or Vita over Xbox One. Hahahahahahhahahahaa.

shumenfail 3.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 LJS9502_basic
@xhawk27 said:

So a Mac or Vita over Xbox One. Hahahahahahhahahahaa.

shumenfail 3.

How did Shenmue 2 sell on the Xbox? If sales were negligible then I can see why it hasn't been decided or announced.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#72  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@Desmonic said:
@GreySeal9 said:
@heretrix said:

I think this project is going to be a total disaster.

It's not being handled very well at all.

How people figure that out much from basically an announcement is a mystery :S

I mean it can and likely will since nostalgia is hard to please unless you stroke the right chords. That said, we've seen nothing yet to judge it. In any way really. All we know is that it's funded, Sony + others are indeed helping in some way or form and so far there are 2 platforms announced/confirmed. That's it.

Figured out what? I'm not judging the game at all. It could very well be an amazing game and I hope it is since I loved the first two.

I'm just saying that this whole kickstarter process has been messy. People have been complaining about all the misinformation being spread, but honestly it's the lack of clear concrete details that has allowed the misinformation to spread.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

@bunchanumbers said:

If Yu Suzuki is smart he would add the Xbox One to the stretch goals. Make it the 5 million goal and watch the number soar.

If he thought X1 could generate interest (and it actually was on the table, which is questionable) it'd be likely beyond the 10 million mark. They want to get that far to get to a "true open world game" and I imagine any stretch goals to that point will be game focused rather than committing themselves to another platform that would consume money from the game instead of building it. And after a record setting push helped by the E3 announcement, the funding is crawling, probably in part by a certain shitty website claiming the game just needed 2 million and Sony would fund the rest, which they inferred from an interview that said nothing like that. They've refused repeated requests to retract or update their story as well. Fucking Kotaku.

Seriously @charizard1605, this is pretty thin. Some crap should be left on Gaf.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Desmonic  Moderator

@GreySeal9:

You have "gaming journalism" to thank for that ;)

I agree that Sony should have clarified their position on the stage. However even after doing so, it seems to have done nothing. So meh. Project is already funded (the $10 million mark is for an open world), so whatever support from Sony and other 3rd parties promised, it's already guaranteed.

Now we need to wait, To see whether the project is good or not, to see whether the game is good or not, to see what kind of support Sony will give and all that.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Jag85
@santoron said:
@bunchanumbers said:

If Yu Suzuki is smart he would add the Xbox One to the stretch goals. Make it the 5 million goal and watch the number soar.

If he thought X1 could generate interest (and it actually was on the table, which is questionable) it'd be likely beyond the 10 million mark. They want to get that far to get to a "true open world game" and I imagine any stretch goals to that point will be game focused rather than committing themselves to another platform that would consume money from the game instead of building it. And after a record setting push helped by the E3 announcement, the funding is crawling, probably in part by a certain shitty website claiming the game just needed 2 million and Sony would fund the rest, which they inferred from an interview that said nothing like that. They've refused repeated requests to retract or update their story as well. Fucking Kotaku.

You mean this article? Kotaku couldn't even wait a day before they start making up clickbait rumours... And it worked, since that article got over 77k hits.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By GreySeal9

@Desmonic said:

@GreySeal9:

I agree that Sony should have clarified their position on the stage. However even after doing so, it seems to have done nothing. So meh. Project is already funded (the $10 million mark is for an open world), so whatever support from Sony and other 3rd parties promised, it's already guaranteed.

Now we need to wait, To see whether the project is good or not, to see whether the game is good or not, to see what kind of support Sony will give and all that.

Yeah, the project is already funded, but I think it's pretty important (for reasons besides the openness of the world) that the projects gets somewhere close to the 10 million mark. The original two Shenmue games had top of the line visuals and were extremely ambitious. I don't want the 3rd Shenmue to be a decent but limited and visually middle of the road kind of deal. I want it to be big, beautiful, and highly interactive.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 LJS9502_basic

@GreySeal9 said:
@Desmonic said:

@GreySeal9:

Yeah, the project is already funded, but I think it's pretty important (for reasons besides the openness of the world) that the projects gets somewhere close to the 10 million mark. The original two Shenmue games had top of the line visuals and were extremely ambitious. I don't want the 3rd Shenmue to be a decent but limited and visually middle of the road kind of deal. I want it to be big, beautiful, and highly interactive.

Did you contribute?

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 GreySeal9

@LJS9502_basic said:
@GreySeal9 said:
@Desmonic said:

@GreySeal9:

Did you contribute?

Not yet but I will.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 LJS9502_basic

@GreySeal9:

Cool. I want to buy the game when it comes out. I don't do kickstarter though.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts
@Jag85 said:
@santoron said:
@bunchanumbers said:

You mean this article? Kotaku couldn't even wait a day before they start making up clickbait rumours... And it worked, since that article got over 77k hits.

Yup, the very same. I since have seen more than one instance of people involved with the Kickstarter posting to Kotaku to tell them the facts were wrong and asking them to remove or fix that article. So far they've done jack squat. Really ticks me off that they could be so unprofessional, especially with the quality of this title on the line.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afcc99c5544f
deactivated-5afcc99c5544f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 deactivated-5afcc99c5544f
Member since 2012 • 1917 Posts

Still not supporting the same tactic Sony's crookedly misusing on their fans. Kickstarter's for developers with no money, not for-profit companies.

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 StealthMonkey4
Member since 2009 • 7434 Posts

Unlikely it would come to XB1 with Sony assisting in funding. Doubt it would reach the stretch goals anyways, it has slowed down significantly in donations in the last few days.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By GreySeal9

@LJS9502_basic said:

@GreySeal9:

I don't typically do kickstarter either but I'm making an exception in this case.

Not going to donate a lot tho; probably somewhere between 50 and 100 dollars. It think it's better to be conservative with one's money when it comes to projects like this.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

What I don't understand is the first two weren't open world and now they want 10 million for a game that is story-led and doesn't really need to be open world particularly.

Sounds to me like 'what can we tell them to get more money out of them?' which is basically The Kickstarter Way.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 LJS9502_basic

@GreySeal9 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

@GreySeal9:

I don't typically do kickstarter either but I'm making an exception in this case.

Not going to donate a lot tho; probably somewhere between 50 and 100 dollars. It think it's better to be conservative with one's money when it comes to projects like this.

Yeah. You can lose it. I have a child that gets first crack at my money.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Jag85

@blueinheaven said:

What I don't understand is the first two weren't open world and now they want 10 million for a game that is story-led and doesn't really need to be open world particularly.

Sounds to me like 'what can we tell them to get more money out of them?' which is basically The Kickstarter Way.

Shenmue was always open world. In fact, it was one of the pioneers of modern 3D open-world gaming, long before GTA3 came out and long before the term "open world" itself was coined. If Shenmue III isn't open world, then that would be a big downgrade from Shenmue I & II.

And no, the $10 million figure isn't anywhere to be found on Kickstarter, but comes from this Reddit AMA, where a fan directly asked Yu Suzuki about the realistic budget requirements for certain features, and he responded that he'd need $10 million to have all the features of a true open world.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#87  Edited By Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

Not sure I want a bare bone Shenmue 3 at all(assuming it doesn't reach 5 million). I rather have an incomplete series with 2 classics than a completed trilogy with 2 classics and a piece of trash.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11821 Posts

@blueinheaven said:

So, announce the game for PS4 and PC and hint that Xbox One may be added as a stretch goal afterthought? lolz. I don't think they'll do that but it would be hilarious if they did.

Cows will do everything in their power to make sure the Xbox One stretch goal is not met even if it means not getting features above the xbox one stretch goal.

@Ant_17 said:
@Jag85 said:

What do yo mean?

Competing with playstation also helped kill Sega consoles since Playstation 1 and 2 slaughtered it in sales.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afcc99c5544f
deactivated-5afcc99c5544f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 deactivated-5afcc99c5544f
Member since 2012 • 1917 Posts

Shenmue with a 3-5 million dollar budget.

This is going to be entertaining.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Jag85

The Kickstarter will most likely end with about the same amount as Bloodstained, or slightly more, around $5.5 million to $6 million. That would make it the most funded Kickstarter game. But knowing Yu Suzuki, I don't think he'd be satisfied with this amount and will try to bring it up to at least over $10 million, somehow.

In that Reddit AMA, a fan mentioned about Star Citizen's PayPal crowdfunding method, and he said he's still thinking about it. Star Citizen only made $2 million from Kickstarter, yet raised $80 million independently in the last 3 years. Simlarly, Shenmue III could make over $10 million through PayPal, after the Kickstarter campaign ends. Or alternatively, he could go through the outside investor route, although that could limit his creative freedom. Whatever route he takes, I'm pretty sure Yu Suzuki will try to raise the $10 million+ he needs to fully realize his vision, one way or another.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@Samus3D said:

Shenmue with a 3-5 million dollar budget.

This is going to be entertaining.

"So we were going to use Unreal engine 4, but we decided perhaps Unity is best."

StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 StrifeDelivery
Member since 2006 • 1901 Posts

@Ant_17 said:
@Jag85 said:

What do yo mean?

I'm also curious on this. How did Sony kill Shenmue again?

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

Y'know what? I actually want Shenmue 3 to do well and I'm not even that familiar with the series. I want it to do well not only so Suzuki can finish his story but also to show other Japanese developers that there's value in development of High end, high profile games and not just fucking Handheld, iphone bullshit.

There was a time once when Japan was the Mecha of gaming, I'd love if a new age could begin where that dream became reality once more.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

SOURCE

Which is a bit gross.

Come on Char that is an empty maybe...

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#95 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

No interest in the game personally, but if it were my game and I were trying to raise enough money to launch it with Kickstarter I would offer it to as many systems that make financial sense. Ignoring the Xbone is stupid if you aren't tied to some kind of exclusive deal.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#96 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

Most likely timed exclusive and will come to the other platforms eventually. Microsoft should speak to SEGA and get the first 2 games remastered for the XB1. Might be tough though since one game was on the Dreamcast and the other on the original XBox.

kemar7856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#97 kemar7856
Member since 2004 • 11783 Posts

you all realize this game ins't even expected until holiday 2017 and the money from this kickstarter can't possibly fund this game I know it says they got other investments but I need to see more into the development

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#98 CrashNBurn281
Member since 2014 • 1574 Posts

@charizard1605: I thought his post padding status was already well known.

Draign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#99 Draign
Member since 2013 • 1824 Posts

This game is being made for Windows 10 and they may decide to make an Xbox One version if they reach a goal of an additional $2 million? Windows 10 games have been rumored to port over to Xbox One in less than 24 hours, but might as well suck more people dry while at it.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@Legend002 said:

This was up for awhile dude. I think the only other platforms they are talking about is mac and maybe Vita.

I thought there was only "PC"? Careful, you may upset the hermits.