Santa Monica dev is mad at the press

• 151 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22679 Posts

I'm more offended that a dev wants more than ten dollars an hour to walk....

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@TheGuardian03: Skyrim on PS3 was perfectly playable for the first 20, 30 hours, it was only when the save file grew large that it would crash. I don't know if you realize this, but most gaming websites will not dedicate more than 30 hours to a video game (especially if t can be functionally finished before then, which Skyrim can be), especially not in a crowded holiday season when there are tons of other games to get to as well. Also, every review pointed out that Skyrim was buggy and glitchy, but they also ensured to point out that it didn't detract from the experience, which, frankly, it does not.

Same exact issue on both Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas. As soon as the save file crosses a certain size: slideshow + frequent bugs/crashes ahoy!

I remember reading it was due to how the engine writes the save files. If I remember correctly (I may be wrong, it's been a few years) the engine didn't do a simple overwrite of the previous save, it added new info to the existing one. Makes somewhat sense considering the amount of decisions/flags it has to save in those games, but since it was badly optimized for the consoles (especially the PS3) it ended up causing several side effects (negative ones at that).

Really hoping Bethesda either ditch that engine or do a proper upgrade (also hoping it's why they took so long to say anything about Fallout and TES since the last ones).

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:
@charizard1605 said:

@jg4xchamp: Nah bro, I'm speaking as a writer trying to get published. You finish that novel, you put in so much effort, you send it out, and no one gives a ****, most people don't even care enough to actually tell you that they're rejecting you or why they are rejecting you. When I got the criticism, I didn't throw a hissy fit and say my work was great and the agents just weren't getting it, they were fools for not getting it, I counted my losses, figured out where I had gone wrong, took their feedback into account inasmuch as it didn't impugn upon the stories I want to tell and how I want to tel them, and moved on to my next work. That's how things work. You can be a bitch about people not appreciating what you have done, and yes, it's a fair response when you put in as much of yourself into this stuff as you have to, but at least don't make a fool of yourself in public, on social media. You're entitled to having whatever opinion you want, but opinions come with a caveat, the caveat being broadcasting of said opinions. There is a time and place for each. Otherwise, if he has his opinion on the critics which he is expressing, I've an opinion on his opinion which I too am perfectly justified in expressing.

I think the example is completely different when it's on a smaller scale and just your own job on the line.

It's a completely different thing when the bets are bigger, the stage is bigger, and you have someone else besides your own job on the line. Again I don't think he handled it very well, and I certainly don't like the notion that game devs think critics should be more chill when they get review copies. But to completely act like a person isn't allowed a hissy fit, because "omg i would never do this, in my completely unrelateable scenario" is completely disingenuous.

You really shouldn't throw hissy fits on twitter...period.

While I understand that people can get pissed about this kind of stuff, making it public is unprofessional. Not to mention it can cost him his job if he ends up going one step too far.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

Here's an idea, just make a better game. If they can't handle criticism any more then I think it's time to hang it up and find another career. If they stay in the game, hopefully they don't burn all their bridges. Also it's not just the press, ordinary gamers and their consumers are very vocal on how horrible their game really is. What are they going to do, be mad at their consumers too?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#55  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@Desmonic: It was only an issue on PS3 due to how PS3 splits its RAM. It won't be an issue on PS4 or Xbox One due to their large pool of unified RAM.

SuddenlyTragic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#56 SuddenlyTragic
Member since 2005 • 976 Posts

I actually am really enjoying The Order but believe that it certainly deserves a score of a 5 or 6. I bought it 1) because I had a $50 Best Buy gift card lying around and 2) because exclusives are the only reason I own consoles. I went in with low expectations but for what it is it's not bad. The graphics are stunning and the story is pretty good. It's a great interactive movie, which is what i expected it to be. I like the gameplay, but there's far too little of it. I've played it for a few hours over the weekend and am already over 50% done (trophy-wise). Also, there's no multiplayer. It's a great weekend rental but you can't possibly expect any reasonable reviewer to give the game an 8 or above when you're charging $60 for a less than 10 hour interactive movie. Again, I like it but totally agree with every review.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Desmonic  Moderator

@charizard1605: Still doesn't explain all the damn bugs even on PC :P They should upgrade the damn engine anyway! Gotta make use of all that current gen powah! :P

But yeah, the PS3 did not like that engine at all. Such a shame. I somehow managed to finish both Fallout's there though lol I remember Broken Steel being quite literally a 5-6 fps slideshow every 10 minutes or so XD

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46292 Posts

They could actually take the stuff to heart and improve on the faults in a sequel.

Or they can rant on Twitter, whatever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Desmonic: Lol, I love Bethesda games man. I love them in spite of the glitches.

I gather they will have upgraded their engine for the new consoles though.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52427 Posts

Well, that happens to a lot of games. Take that shit in, deal with it, and improve upon (hopefully) the next product.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45110 Posts

If anything, this game will benefit because of the press it's getting.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

Its tough when people criticize your work, but I I bet he wouldn't of minded praise.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@TheGuardian03: Well, two things.

A) yours sounds to be an isolated case, most people did not encounter these problems until a few dozen hours;

B) we can all agree that the gaming media was a lot more lenient last generation, and is only now growing a pair of balls, so if these issues apply to the next Bethesda game, you bet your ass they'll be called out on them. Just look at how Unity was mauled for proof.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#65 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

Don't like the way the guy is acting. I hope he's able to accept the criticism of the game in the future.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

LOL well I hope santa monicas next game isn't as garbage as their last or his feelings will be even more hurt

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Desmonic  Moderator

@charizard1605: Yeah, they are one of those few studios that can get away with such broken games! Dat fun factor, yo!

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#68 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

If anything, this game will benefit because of the press it's getting.

If you mean people might buy to try it out due to negative press, then one'd probably buy it used or rent it.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#70 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

His comments are very juvenile and unprofessional.

Yeah guys, dont buy adds or send them games if they give you a bad review! ...thanks for reaffirming suspicions about bought review scores.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#71  Edited By stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

Skyrim(PS3) has NEVER frozen on me. I have over 145 hours and 14MB+ save file. When is this freezing and game crashing supposed to happen? This is just a myth that was spread by xbox fanboys. Nothing more.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#72 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

"How dare you give games low scores! >:("

What a pussy.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@deadline-zero0: In my case, I am SharePlaying it. A short game with little to no twitch reaction demands, this game is perfect for SharePlay.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@deadline-zero0: In my case, I am SharePlaying it. A short game with little to no twitch reaction demands, this game is perfect for SharePlay.

Honestly, considering the decreased IQ via SP, i'd say renting is better if you want to experience the full graphical quality.

But not everyone has access to a renting system. But if all you want is to play it, yeah, no problem.

Roler42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Roler42
Member since 2013 • 1067 Posts

Welp, time to stop doing business with Santa Monica

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

hahaha i love this. Your game is more linear than CoD.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#77 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@jg4xchamp: I understand being distraught, but I wouldn't start questions the critics who reviewed my work if this happened, I would look at what the most common complaints were, and maybe could I work on not repeating them with my next work.

Yes, it's a human emotional response, but it is also not very professional.

You know this reminds me of the 18 year olds in basic that would sit around on Sunday morning and talk about how they will handle being in combat. When you are completely detached, its real easy to say "I would do this.....". And we all see ourselves making the right/wise/heroic choices.

Snap,But to be fair we where probably the same during Basic, i thought i was invincible, ultimate soldier type, that soon changed when i found myself on the receiving end of some flying lead in NI, Amazing how one round whizzing past your head can change your whole perspective on how much of an 'ultimate soldier' you actually are

not scared to admit i bloody shit myself and the brick wall in front of me became my new best Bud.

I see the point you are making though, it' easy for someone who isn't in the same position to say 'i wouldn't act like that' or 'i would act like this'.

thats why i have always said, Walk the walk THEN talk the talk.

the bloke did make himself look like a bit of a plonker though But hey, I LOVE the gaming industry, More trolls than Vladimir Putin,lol

gamecubepad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -12

#78 gamecubepad
Member since 2003 • 7214 Posts

Sometimes it's good to vent on the internet. It's like the Seahawks losing in the most shameful and illogical way. It was a fun try so suck it up and come back next year for a fight.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

Twitter has to be one of the dumbest things to catch on. The more and more we advance the less and less I care to participate in the direction these designers/developers are pushing things. Who gives a **** what 1 guy out of a team of 100's of people has to say about shitty reviews of a game. Twitter losers that's who. Like **** there's even tv shows based around the pound key, and the local fucking news is doing that whole trending on twitter thing. Well I guess you couldn't call it a news show anyhow. It's not like the shit they peddled was actually informative to begin with.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

He actually has a point, especially considering these same trolls give CoDs 8s year after year.

The lowest score is a 20 from the same guy who gave sunset overdrive a perfect 10.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#81 AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

Man people love to do this shit in public nowadays huh?

I mean more power to them, but it's probably a better idea to make a scene when you are anonymous. If its your thing though (Angry Joe, these guys apparently) I guess that's alright too. :P

Whenever I feel relatively pissed off about something, I know for damn sure I don't yell about it anywhere but to myself in a secluded room or something. Bad things tend to happen when you project malice like that even in the smallest spheres of influence. Of course some geniuses tend to do it on the biggest freaking sphere in the world...

Avatar image for ninjapirate2000
ninjapirate2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 ninjapirate2000
Member since 2008 • 3347 Posts

What a cry baby.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#83 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@delta3074 said:

@cainetao11 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@jg4xchamp: I understand being distraught, but I wouldn't start questions the critics who reviewed my work if this happened, I would look at what the most common complaints were, and maybe could I work on not repeating them with my next work.

Yes, it's a human emotional response, but it is also not very professional.

You know this reminds me of the 18 year olds in basic that would sit around on Sunday morning and talk about how they will handle being in combat. When you are completely detached, its real easy to say "I would do this.....". And we all see ourselves making the right/wise/heroic choices.

Snap,But to be fair we where probably the same during Basic, i thought i was invincible, ultimate soldier type, that soon changed when i found myself on the receiving end of some flying lead in NI, Amazing how one round whizzing past your head can change your whole perspective on how much of an 'ultimate soldier' you actually are

not scared to admit i bloody shit myself and the brick wall in front of me became my new best Bud.

I see the point you are making though, it' easy for someone who isn't in the same position to say 'i wouldn't act like that' or 'i would act like this'.

thats why i have always said, Walk the walk THEN talk the talk.

the bloke did make himself look like a bit of a plonker though But hey, I LOVE the gaming industry, More trolls than Vladimir Putin,lol

LOL brother. I was in my 30s in Basic, and had at least run from gunshots in my neighborhood albeit I wasn't the target of the shooter. It still taught me a bit about what you said: Walk it, then Talk it; or better yet still don't talk it.

Like char and I have gotten to, the bit about ads and free review copies is a massive foot in mouth moment. Either he is letting the gaming public know they hope for leniency in reviews or he thinks that is enough to flat out buy them.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#84 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Maybe they should have put a little more effort into the gameplay then?

I'm just glad review outlets are calling it as it is, rather than sucking at the teat of the developers.

Zethrickk382

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Zethrickk382
Member since 2013 • 480 Posts

I never go by reviews on games anymore. If it's a game that even slightly interest me on Consoles, I'll rent it.

Can't really go wrong with 4 bucks for 5 days. Only critic I trust is myself at this point.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#86 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
@jg4xchamp said:

@charizard1605 said:

This man represents everything wrong with the gaming industry. So far I have actually been hoping that The Order do well, mostly for its developers' sake, but if it's developers are going to be such shitheads about it, I think a rude awakening may be in the cards.

Uh I think that's being a bit unfair to the dude. You work on a project for a few years, a bunch of people have their jobs on the line because of this project, and there is a pride one naturally takes in their own work. Getting shat on by other people isn't necessarily an easy thing to accept, so his reaction is human.

I think the statement itself is bullshit as much as the next guy, but let's not act like we'd all be cool and chill if we were in the same situation.

Because accepting and learning from criticism doesn't exist.

It takes a bigger man to admit a mistake and endeavour to do it better next time.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 cainetao11

@Heil68 said:

Its tough when people criticize your work, but I I bet he wouldn't of minded praise.

Yup. Funny how many people say they don't care what others think about them in regards to the criticism. Only way to really not care is be detached from the praise as well..

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2367 Posts

You knew this game was a failure from the start. The Order would have been a decent ps vita game. Whomever made the decision to turn this into a console game made a huge mistake. Sony just put Ready At Dawn in a no win situation. They should be mad at themselves and not the media.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

@Jag85 said:

@jg4xchamp said:

@charizard1605 said:

This man represents everything wrong with the gaming industry. So far I have actually been hoping that The Order do well, mostly for its developers' sake, but if it's developers are going to be such shitheads about it, I think a rude awakening may be in the cards.

Uh I think that's being a bit unfair to the dude. You work on a project for a few years, a bunch of people have their jobs on the line because of this project, and there is a pride one naturally takes in their own work. Getting shat on by other people isn't necessarily an easy thing to accept, so his reaction is human.

I think the statement itself is bullshit as much as the next guy, but let's not act like we'd all be cool and chill if we were in the same situation.

This.

hard work doesn't mean good results. I'm sure everyone at RAD worked their asses off for 5 years on it, but the product itself obviously didn't turn out good. If your boss invested millions into a project you were on and you busted your ass but the end result was poor, I'm sure your boss would be mad and you'd be lucky to not get fired

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#90 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I respect what RAD is trying to do.

Gamers need more exercise and the Order is basically a digital personal trainer for gamers.

You walk and walk for $10 an hour. Most trainers I know charge $20 or more. Good deal and you get in the habit of exercise before you are ready to embark in the real world.

----

The Order is a shame. On to the next big game in SW!

le wowzers.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

Guys, leave Santa Monica Studios and RAD alone!

Stop it guys!

Leave Dean Rymer alone!

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 cainetao11

@AM-Gamer said:

He actually has a point, especially considering these same trolls give CoDs 8s year after year.

The lowest score is a 20 from the same guy who gave sunset overdrive a perfect 10.

Well that is telling. Sunset is one of the most fun games I played last year but the 8 it received was spot on imo. So remove 20 points and give it to the Odor

@gamecubepad said:

Sometimes it's good to vent on the internet. It's like the Seahawks losing in the most shameful and illogical way. It was a fun try so suck it up and come back next year for a fight.

My buddy from the Army is from Seattle and he still cant accept it. He says there was pass interference on the play. Poor guy, he's blinded by the blood shooting out of his broken heart. As a NY Giants fan I would say all credit to the winners, but their fans still call our wins over them "flukes" so I say they were "given" this year's Bowl by Pete Caroll, the Offensive Coordinator and Wilson. They didn't stop the best option the Seahawks had.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

@AM-Gamer said:

He actually has a point,

You're a cow, you guys hype terrible games...of course he does.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#94 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44564 Posts

looks like he deleted his Tweets in shame

gamecubepad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -12

#95 gamecubepad
Member since 2003 • 7214 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

My buddy from the Army is from Seattle and he still cant accept it. He says there was pass interference on the play. Poor guy, he's blinded by the blood shooting out of his broken heart. As a NY Giants fan I would say all credit to the winners, but their fans still call our wins over them "flukes" so I say they were "given" this year's Bowl by Pete Caroll, the Offensive Coordinator and Wilson. They didn't stop the best option the Seahawks had.

Pass interference. lol.

Just like in the case of The Order, there's no need to justify or spin it. The actuality is so anticlimactic and lame there's no reason. It's the Michael Richards of football plays, or videogames, or movies.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17658 Posts

I don't agree with all he said, but there's a line between hate and valid, constructive criticism, and some of the reviews I've seen don't appear to understand or abide the distinction. The Order has been met with an exceptional degree of contempt and negative outpouring (some which I would label as hate) which I would argue easily extends far past any detriments found within the game itself, so let's not try to pretend that it hasn't been and view this as something that is being lamented within its own scope.

From what I've seen, 1886 is not only being derided for being poorly made, it has unleashed a firestorm and is being held up as a shining example to try to discredit a whole genre of games. Had I spent a lot of my time working hard on something to be met with such reception, seemingly unwarranted given so many other cinematic games have come before it, I'd more than likely be a bit miffed as well.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

@Jankarcop: We also have some of the best game every generation. When I let a chubby computer nerd, a transvestite or a femanazi tell me what games to buy I'll let you know.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

@MirkoS77: I think the over all tone isn't do to the game itself but rather the general state of the industry as a whole. Far too many, remasters and new ips that fall way short of expectations, as well as broken and unfinished games have paved the way for everyone to be sick of tittles that aren't attempting to push past the tried and tested models that are now getting extremely repetitive, as writing in games has yet to really find it's footing beyond a few tittles like the last of us, to make up for the stale boring game play. And graphics now can only get you so far with the current state of their not so stellar hardware.

I expect more reviews like this, at least until companies start realizing that with this jump in hardware people were expecting actual improvements to other systems beyond graphics previously only available on pc.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15569 Posts

@AM-Gamer said:

@Jankarcop: We also have some of the best game every generation. When I let a chubby computer nerd, a transvestite or a femanazi tell me what games to buy I'll let you know.

If you can't tell yourself what games to buy then who will?!

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts
@StrifeDelivery said:

Well Dean, you could learn from this. Sometimes you got to focus more on the game portion rather than the production values.

Also Dean, sending out review copies does not mean you are guaranteed a good review. Stop sending out review copies, and all those pesky reviewers will have to rush out and buy the game ( and automatically dock 2 points from the review because they had to spend their own money).

Reviewers should buy their own games,and no review for an online game should come out before the game is out period,playing on a close environment is not the same either yet almost all do.

Games have no value what so ever to them and slamming them is quite easy even for the smallest reason.

@darkspineslayer said:

If there is anything I'm learning, or rather, reinforcing with my time at school, it's that the media isn't and never should be beholden to anybody but the reader.

Tough shit, Dean. Credibility is the lifeblood of journalism, and they shouldn't tell people the order is good just to spare your feelings.

Yeah because Beyond 2 souls actually deserved a higher score than TLOU man...

Journalist have their own agendas and their own personal bias,like any other person they may not like a game for a personal reason and that should not be in a review,reviewers have been tainted long time ago,specially after last gen.

Now i am not saying the game is a 8 but yeah i can understand the what he feels i play the game and is not bad at all,it is a little short not 5 hours like stated online,and has to many QTE but from what i remember last gen there was a game here which scored a 10 and was full of those and make you install part of the game several times can you guess which one was it,i also believe it didn't deserve a 10 and i am a fan of that consoles.