Santa Monica dev is mad at the press

• 151 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#101 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@ribstaylor1 said:

@MirkoS77: I think the over all tone isn't do to the game itself but rather the general state of the industry as a whole. Far too many, remasters and new ips that fall way short of expectations, as well as broken and unfinished games have paved the way for everyone to be sick of tittles that aren't attempting to push past the tried and tested models that are now getting extremely repetitive, as writing in games has yet to really find it's footing beyond a few tittles like the last of us, to make up for the stale boring game play. And graphics now can only get you so far with the current state of their not so stellar hardware.

I expect more reviews like this, at least until companies start realizing that with this jump in hardware people were expecting actual improvements to other systems beyond graphics previously only available on pc.

Right, and that's my point. There's a tremendous venting presently occurring which, as the Order has unfortunately been that particular straw that's broken the camel's back and unleashed a torrent of pent up frustration, is currently the scapegoat for an entirely different issue. Certainly a game that's contributed to this negative sentiment towards the proliferation of cinematics in gaming, but is nonetheless not deserving of the entire burden people feel towards any direction or state that the industry is headed in.

If I'd worked on the game I wouldn't understand why it has all of a sudden become so liable and representative of the faults and negative sentiments of so many.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

@AM-Gamer said:

@Jankarcop: We also have some of the best game every generation. When I let a chubby computer nerd, a transvestite or a femanazi tell me what games to buy I'll let you know.

Your last place at gs and mc last gen.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#103 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I find it interesting that putting a lot of effort into something somehow demands praise according to this person. As if no matter how bad something might really be, so long as they worked hard at it, they deserve all the praise people can muster. Is this what our industry has come to?

Like, I'm sure Kirk Cameron and crew feel like the effort they put into "Saving Christmas" was a huge outpouring of passion and talent... but that doesn't make it a good movie.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

@Jankarcop: lol no it wasn't. The PS3 won more GotY then any platform period. So wtf are you talking about?

StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 StrifeDelivery
Member since 2006 • 1901 Posts
@tormentos said:
@StrifeDelivery said:

Well Dean, you could learn from this. Sometimes you got to focus more on the game portion rather than the production values.

Also Dean, sending out review copies does not mean you are guaranteed a good review. Stop sending out review copies, and all those pesky reviewers will have to rush out and buy the game ( and automatically dock 2 points from the review because they had to spend their own money).

Reviewers should buy their own games,and no review for an online game should come out before the game is out period,playing on a close environment is not the same either yet almost all do.

Games have no value what so ever to them and slamming them is quite easy even for the smallest reason.

That is definitely true. Online environments for games are quite different once you move them away from the closed environment that reviewers generally partake in.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#106 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@AM-Gamer said:

@Jankarcop: lol no it wasn't. The PS3 won more GotY then any platform period. So wtf are you talking about?

What importance does GOTY awards carry?

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By AM-Gamer

@foxhound_fox: More then any other bullshit award. Since any exclusive ported to the PS4 or vita is now no longer considered exclusive.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Jankarcop

@AM-Gamer said:

Who mentioned GOTYs? PS3 was last place in aaa/aa games.

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

I guess people these days can't accept criticism.

gamecubepad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -12

#110  Edited By gamecubepad
Member since 2003 • 7214 Posts

@AM-Gamer said:

We also have some of the best game every generation. When I let a chubby computer nerd, a transvestite or a femanazi tell me what games to buy I'll let you know.

+

@AM-Gamer said:

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

@Jankarcop said:

@AM-Gamer said:

He actually has a point,

You're a cow, you guys hype terrible games...of course he does.

people werent hyped for this, I kept saying for a year that this game looked like a 6/10

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#113 Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

@Nengo_Flow said:

@Jankarcop said:

@AM-Gamer said:

He actually has a point,

people werent hyped for this, I kept saying for a year that this game looked like a 6/10

um they were

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#114 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

@tormentos said:
@StrifeDelivery said:

Well Dean, you could learn from this. Sometimes you got to focus more on the game portion rather than the production values.

Also Dean, sending out review copies does not mean you are guaranteed a good review. Stop sending out review copies, and all those pesky reviewers will have to rush out and buy the game ( and automatically dock 2 points from the review because they had to spend their own money).

Reviewers should buy their own games,and no review for an online game should come out before the game is out period,playing on a close environment is not the same either yet almost all do.

Games have no value what so ever to them and slamming them is quite easy even for the smallest reason.

@darkspineslayer said:

If there is anything I'm learning, or rather, reinforcing with my time at school, it's that the media isn't and never should be beholden to anybody but the reader.

Tough shit, Dean. Credibility is the lifeblood of journalism, and they shouldn't tell people the order is good just to spare your feelings.

Yeah because Beyond 2 souls actually deserved a higher score than TLOU man...

Journalist have their own agendas and their own personal bias,like any other person they may not like a game for a personal reason and that should not be in a review,reviewers have been tainted long time ago,specially after last gen.

Now i am not saying the game is a 8 but yeah i can understand the what he feels i play the game and is not bad at all,it is a little short not 5 hours like stated online,and has to many QTE but from what i remember last gen there was a game here which scored a 10 and was full of those and make you install part of the game several times can you guess which one was it,i also believe it didn't deserve a 10 and i am a fan of that consoles.

Man, to still be so salty over TLOU. Move on, man. Enjoy the game and get on with life. :P

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Nengo_Flow

@notorious1234na said:

@Nengo_Flow said:

@Jankarcop said:

@AM-Gamer said:

He actually has a point,

um they were

last time I checked the "Official" Hype from GS was 7

Is 7 hype?

really... is 7 hype?

Most people were skeptical about this game for a long time, and there were multiple articles since the summer pointing out alot of negatives about the game.

People werent hyped for. There might have been people praising the graphics, thats different tho. Just like Ryse, people still bring up Ryse graphics.

Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 Notorious1234NA

@Nengo_Flow said:

@notorious1234na said:

@Nengo_Flow said:

@Jankarcop said:

@AM-Gamer said:

He actually has a point,

um they were

Is 7 hype?

really... is 7 hype?

Most people were skeptical about this game for a long time, and there were multiple articles since the summer pointing out alot of negatives about the game.

People werent hyped for. There might have been people praising the graphics, thats different tho. Just like Ryse, people still bring up Ryse graphics.

GS not only website and I was talking in a general sense.

Social Media, adv, youtube vids (it has more views than FF15) indicates that many were psyched for this game and thought it would yield a high score. Regardless I don't even have to look, but I bet the game is in at least top 5 for pre-orders and topped sales charts somewhere. The power of hype.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 AM-Gamer

@Jankarcop: Last in AAA and AA? Let's see the proof.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#118  Edited By Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15564 Posts

@Nengo_Flow said:

Is 7 hype?

really... is 7 hype?

Cautious optimism is still a form of hype.

Everyone knew there was almost no chance of this title being anything but a mediocre slog, and hype was certainly not as big as other titles by the release. But I think deep down, people still secretly hoped it would surprise them and be the must have game for the PS4.

Which is why so many people talked about the game despite a wide selection of lousy previews and game demos. Even if part of it comes from the advertising budget, there was some clear buzz centered around the game.

And after all, it looks good graphically, and the core premise of the story is strong. It was just unfortunate that it turned out to be the trite mess of a game we all expected.

Avatar image for snapcracklenpop
snapcrackleNpop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By snapcrackleNpop
Member since 2015 • 274 Posts

well you give out your games to get reviews so we as consumers don't get shafted with a 60$ game thats an interactive movie on average of 5 hrs long with no online in 2015 ... then you try to lie and say its a 8-10 hr game which is a lie ... ain't no one in there right minds going to take a single word these devs say as truth now

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#120 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Looks like Santa Monica's next game is also "cinematic experience"

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#121 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38034 Posts

@gamecubepad said:

@cainetao11 said:

My buddy from the Army is from Seattle and he still cant accept it. He says there was pass interference on the play. Poor guy, he's blinded by the blood shooting out of his broken heart. As a NY Giants fan I would say all credit to the winners, but their fans still call our wins over them "flukes" so I say they were "given" this year's Bowl by Pete Caroll, the Offensive Coordinator and Wilson. They didn't stop the best option the Seahawks had.

Pass interference. lol.

Just like in the case of The Order, there's no need to justify or spin it. The actuality is so anticlimactic and lame there's no reason. It's the Michael Richards of football plays, or videogames, or movies.

Well said sir. I felt so bad for him when I spoke to him after the game. I kept trying to tell him within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage you are allowed to bump and run a receiver. The line was the 1 yard line!! It was a clean read and react by the DB. Just like the Odor, LOL. It was a clean this game missed the mark I guess.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#122 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts
@stuff238 said:

Skyrim(PS3) has NEVER frozen on me. I have over 145 hours and 14MB+ save file. When is this freezing and game crashing supposed to happen? This is just a myth that was spread by xbox fanboys. Nothing more.

Yeah it was a myth, that's why DLCs were delayed for PS3 and released years later. You just got lucky with the pattern (enter this house, do this quest, talk to that person, go there etc). A lot of people were having issues and Bathesda was working on big patches for PS3 before releasing DLCs on it.

kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts

@TheGuardian03 said:

I understand what he means. You work your ass off and you think you did a good job and expect something good in return, but all the order has ever gotten is bad press. Even before release.

This game is officially the most bashed game this gen.

Rightfully so.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Nengo_Flow

@notorious1234na said:

@Nengo_Flow said:

@notorious1234na said:

um they were

Is 7 hype?

really... is 7 hype?

Social Media, adv, youtube vids (it has more views than FF15) indicates that many were psyched for this game and thought it would yield a high score. Regardless I don't even have to look, but I bet the game is in at least top 5 for pre-orders and topped sales charts somewhere. The power of hype.

I didnt see none of that to be honest. On youtube trailers and gameplay videos of the game all had negative comments... but thats the youtube community in general tho...

If you are gonna make a claim that it was atleast top 5 in pre-orders and are willing to "bet", I would suggest to umm... yeah.. look into it instead of saying you arent gonna look into it but still say random states as facts you are willing to backup. IDK, I dont have any knowledge on it, so I it would have been nice if you could have informed me.

And hypothetically, lets say it did rank high in pre-orders.... umm... what are we comparing it to? there isnt anything else thats releasing or coming out in the same window.

A kinect game could rank high in pre-orders and even be the number one pre-order game for that if there is nothing else coming out

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 Jankarcop

@AM-Gamer said:

@Jankarcop: Last in AAA and AA? Let's see the proof.

www.metacritic.com www.gamespot.com , reviews

gamecubepad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -12

#126 gamecubepad
Member since 2003 • 7214 Posts

@cainetao11:

I'm a Seahawks guy myself, but I'm not in denial. Rulebook is very clear:

Article 3 Permissible Acts by both teams while the ball is in the air. Acts that are permissible by a player include, but are not limited to:

(a) Incidental contact by an opponent’s hands, arms, or body when both players are competing for the ball, or neither player is looking for the ball. If there is any question whether contact is incidental, the ruling shall be no interference.

(e) Contact by a player who has gained position on an opponent in an attempt to catch the ball.

Note 1: When the ball is in the air, eligible offensive and defensive receivers have the same right to the path of the ball and are subject to the same restrictions.

Note 2: Acts that do not occur more than one yard beyond the line of scrimmage are not pass interference, but could be

---

Your buddy is like desperate cows trying to blame reviewers for pass interference. "I don't let idiots tell me what to play!" "The game is way better than *insert game x* that got a free pass. **** McShea!"

Allegedly the game wasn't hyped, but it has been awhile since I've seen so much butthurt on SW and GAF.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 AM-Gamer

@Jankarcop: LoL really? Post a link to spread sheet showing it has the least AA and AAA titles last gen.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#128 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

@TheGuardian03 said:

At least the order is playable. Lol if you call that gameplay.

Skyrim was unplayable on PS3 and no critic had the balls to call bethesda on their shit, even our own gamespot. And millions bought it not knowing what they were getting into.

Sniper was right all along, corrupt mainstream media at work ladies and gentleman.

And how about Fallout 4 when it releases and nobody speaks up about it?

But no, the order is 5 hours so we must report immediately, right gamespot?

Honestly, can't trust any site anymore , bunch of hypocrites.

The issues with Skyrim were apparent after extended playthroughs. I believe the problem was simply reviewers playing it through on PC and/or 360, and then playing a smidgen of the PS3 version and expecting it to be similar. I mean, do we really expect reviewers to play through an entire game multiple times over (especially huge games) on multiple platforms?

tymeservesfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 tymeservesfate
Member since 2003 • 2230 Posts

@Desmonic said:

Hmm. I missed the first tweet (somehow lol).

That slight hint of connection between paying ads, sending review copies and expecting good scores....not great news indeed....

you're right Desmoronic. i agree with you.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#130  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58900 Posts

@tymeservesfate said:

@Desmonic said:

That slight hint of connection between paying ads, sending review copies and expecting good scores....not great news indeed....

He's obviously right. Gamespot is (and has primarily been) about advertizing games for years.

tymeservesfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By tymeservesfate

@blue_hazy_basic said:

"We paid for those scores!"

Loading Video...
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#132 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

This guy is just saying what the top honchos at gaming studios are thinking.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

He does have a point though, review copies should not be free, reviewers if they do get a copy it should be a digital copy that expires after 7 days like a rental.

And ads should never ever be put on by people before a review is put out, that is called corruption. In fact they should only put up a short play video with no review if a game company has paid them.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#135  Edited By bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

I don't agree with the reviews for the order, I think the game was already doomed before it was released.

The real problem is, we live in such a negative world now, and instead of focusing on what the game aims for and what genre it's in, it's all combed with the same brush, every reviewer I seem to know always seems to lead with negatives and it always out ways the good.

I am not going to say the order is the greatest game there is, but what it does do, is give you an experience that a lot of games don't and what gameplay there is, it is solid and works well in my eyes, the story holds up and is good, games like this and every game for that matter should be reviewed on the basis of what genre it is in, and not compared to every game, which most games are nowadays.

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

His reaction was not professional but dayum gamers reaction to his tweets is really what disgust me. -__- Not sure why this is even thread worthy.

Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#137 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

The problem with gaming is that even a failure can result from doing a shit-ton right even though the product went wrong, while other games can go right even though a shit-ton is done wrong. The game may suck, but all the artists, programmers, voice actors, designers, etc did some damn cool things for the game so I don't really see the tweet as a "oh, poor me, my game is being bashed" but a guy, in part, trying to turn against critics and maybe convince some of the audience so that the game might sell more and keep the company afloat, and also just venting frustrations.

And this is the last place where people should be condescending to someone ranting, this entire board is just everyone ranting. And lol to people comparing themselves trying to get their writings published to the development and released of an AAA level game. Really, just stop.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

@Gue1 said:

It appears that he drank HHG's kool-aid. Being critical is hate, racism, xenophobia, misogyny.

The massive amount of previews that started indicating it would be shit should have clued him in. Guess not.

tymeservesfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 tymeservesfate

@uninspiredcup said:

@tymeservesfate said:

@Desmonic said:

He's obviously right. Gamespot is (and has primarily been) about advertizing games for years.

ok...i agreed with him. sooo...why are you sending me the proof exactly? he's still a moron but even a broken clock is right twice a day lol.

Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By Notorious1234NA

@Nengo_Flow said:

@notorious1234na said:

@Nengo_Flow said:

@notorious1234na said:

um they were

Is 7 hype?

really... is 7 hype?

I didnt see none of that to be honest. On youtube trailers and gameplay videos of the game all had negative comments... but thats the youtube community in general tho...

If you are gonna make a claim that it was atleast top 5 in pre-orders and are willing to "bet", I would suggest to umm... yeah.. look into it instead of saying you arent gonna look into it but still say random states as facts you are willing to backup. IDK, I dont have any knowledge on it, so I it would have been nice if you could have informed me.

And hypothetically, lets say it did rank high in pre-orders.... umm... what are we comparing it to? there isnt anything else thats releasing or coming out in the same window.

A kinect game could rank high in pre-orders and even be the number one pre-order game for that if there is nothing else coming out

Nothing stated here is fact just opinions but ok sure. I don't see many people on this forum documenting their hypothesis or citing credible sources. So yeah don't get all technical on me cause this forum is the LAST place to do it nothing, but a hub of rumors and he say she say. Regardless, the language I used indicates I was guessing anyway but I digress:

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2015/02/23/uk-sales-chart-order-1886-claims-first-place-evolve-drops-third/

took less than a second to google. The game was popular end of story even gamespot has an article predicting it to have high sales. If I you want me to compare it, you would have to compare it to new released IPs, but nobody got time for that.

Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By Notorious1234NA

@Vaasman said:

@Nengo_Flow said:

Is 7 hype?

really... is 7 hype?

Cautious optimism is still a form of hype.

Everyone knew there was almost no chance of this title being anything but a mediocre slog, and hype was certainly not as big as other titles by the release. But I think deep down, people still secretly hoped it would surprise them and be the must have game for the PS4.

Which is why so many people talked about the game despite a wide selection of lousy previews and game demos. Even if part of it comes from the advertising budget, there was some clear buzz centered around the game.

And after all, it looks good graphically, and the core premise of the story is strong. It was just unfortunate that it turned out to be the trite mess of a game we all expected.

Yep pretty much.

The game was no Halo 2, but after a slew up flops ppl were expecting this game to deliver and were interested.

Apparently SW has its own definition for hype and if they do quite frankly that is stupid.

Hype to me is when advertisers convince consumers that they must absolutely have xyz product. Well mission accomplished so far....honestly I don't think The Order will sell much, but we'll see. It topped the charts so far and most likely we'll be seeing DLC for the game soon if it really is just a 5hr game. Wait do you want me to post a citation for that opinion too lulz?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

These dimwit developers have no clue what we want as gamers. They think they can just slap together a game with fancy graphics and just throw in some generic gameplay on top and we'll be satisfied. 9/10 everywhere. Nope, that's not how it works. Also I blame Sony for this line of thinking as well. It's no wonder their first party exclusive line up is total trash. They have the same frame of mind that all we want are movie games with QTEs

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By Jankarcop

@AM-Gamer said:

@Jankarcop: LoL really?

Yes. Really.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 AM-Gamer

@Jankarcop: So basically you won't post any facts just random babble. Show a sheet the PS3 was in last place on AA and AAA games or stfu.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#145 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58900 Posts

@tymeservesfate said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@tymeservesfate said:

@Desmonic said:

ok...i agreed with him. sooo...why are you sending me the proof exactly? he's still a moron but even a broken clock is right twice a day lol.

Why are you talking to me like your Alicia Silverstone in Clueless?

Mysteries.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Jankarcop

@AM-Gamer said:

@Jankarcop: So basically you won't post any facts just random babble.

I can't find the GS one anymore, so I guess you lucked out for GS. But the review section is right there, scroll up.

No one can beat PC.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By AM-Gamer

@Jankarcop: It has a higher number of good exclusives then the 360. You don't even show the Wii. And you said total number of AA/AAA games which it doesn't show. Good job on owning yourself.

You said it was in Last place in total AA and AAA games. You are wrong. Especially since several PS3 quality exclusives are now on PS4 and vita.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 Jankarcop

@AM-Gamer said:

@Jankarcop: It has a higher number of good exclusives then the 360. You don't even show the Wii. And you said total number of AA/AAA games which it doesn't show. Good job on owning yourself.

You said it was in Last place in total AA and AAA games. You are wrong. Especially since several PS3 quality exclusives are now on PS4 and vita.

To me you're either first place or last place. Distant second? lol who cares....

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 AM-Gamer

@Jankarcop: bahaha nice spin troll.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#150 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@Crossel777 said:

These dimwit developers have no clue what we want as gamers. They think they can just slap together a game with fancy graphics and just throw in some generic gameplay on top and we'll be satisfied. 9/10 everywhere. Nope, that's not how it works. Also I blame Sony for this line of thinking as well. It's no wonder their first party exclusive line up is total trash. They have the same frame of mind that all we want are movie games with QTEs

The problem is that strategy actually does work for alot of games. Look at the cut and paste job that Call of Duty became last gen, yet for most of the gen Call of Duty scored not only above 7's, but actually mostly 8's and 9's for the same rehashed trash.

QTE's when used properly are no big deal, especially if it's just for the occasional melee combat, although they can be quite annoying when overused or they cause insta-death (i'm thinking of some of the worst one's in Resident Evil). The "movie games" like Heavy Rain or Until Dawn are a different thing entirely, think of them more like Telltale games. I actually have grown to quite enjoy those despite the lack of true "gameplay", but games like that are all about the story and characters and just how well things "flow" - rather than than any gameplay to worry about.

I haven't played The Order, but from all I have seen of it, and the reviews - it sounds like it's main problem is it is too short and too linear for a game without online game-play. It is basically a linear corridor shooter you would expect for a typical online shooter, but without the online or co-op modes. Literally every single preview and gameplay video I saw of this game is either a cinematic walking sequence - or in some tight space playing wack-a-mole by shooting enemies that pop in and out of cover. That was my main concern even before the "previews" starting getting negative, and it turned out my concern was exactly what went wrong with the game. The problem isn't that they made a "cinematic" game, it's that the non-cinematic parts were probably too boring or so confining that they weren't as fun as they should have been.