RE6 = Capcom's final nail in the coffin?

• 193 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tjoeb123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 tjoeb123
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

NOTE: Yes, I said Resident Evil 6 in the tiitle, and yes, I know there is a hype thread, but this thread isn't about Resident Evil 6 particularly. It's about Capcom in general.

Anyway, I was watching Kevin's review of RE6 and saw his absymally low score (for a Capcom game to boot!) of 4.5. Then I saw IGN's and they gave it a 7.9 Now don't get me wrong, the story and cutscenes look AMAZING.

Capcom has fvcked up their franchises so bad that the only good ones they have left are Street Fighter and Resident Evil, but even on those they're fvcking it up! With on-disc DLC, Mega Man-killing, and CoD-copying galore, I don't think the future looks bright for Capcom. But then again, I have noticed that they're slowly recovering....

So I ask you. Are they worth supporting anymore? Will you still buy Crapcpom's games? Or will you just wait for a new Mega Man game?

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts

Depends on the sales.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts
RE6 :3
TopTierHustler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TopTierHustler
Member since 2012 • 3894 Posts

Really hope this does badly.

Games need to stick to their roots.

At least a little bit, not just try to go full Cod

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#5 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

It'll probably sell like the dickens.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

The game will be fine.. I'm sure it will sell tons of copies. The thing is that even thought the game is Bad story wise.. and it sets a bad mood the is a fun co-op. If you have a brother or friend that you can play with you'll enjoy the game... but it's definetly not a friendly single player game.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts
if they want extra sales why not port Dragon's Dogma to PC so I can buy it? :P
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
Ace Attorney is the only good franchise, which Capcom has decided is too good for us NA gamers now.
LittleMac19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 LittleMac19
Member since 2009 • 1638 Posts
4.5 lol
zekere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#10 zekere
Member since 2003 • 2536 Posts

What's happening to the Japanese gaming industry? Such great franchises going to waste? Final Fantasy and Resident Evil...back in PS1 days stores opened at midnight for these gems, and now they've become victim to their own shadows...I'm glad the Souls games are out there that proof that not all is bad though.

Bruce_Benzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Bruce_Benzing
Member since 2012 • 1731 Posts

I think the only thing killing RE is the horrendus movie series,,,,

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

Ace Attorney is the only good franchise, which Capcom has decided is too good for us NA gamers now.funsohng
ace attoney 5 is coming out to the west if im not mistaken. unless you're talking one of those spin offs

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts
They went full on action movie on this one. I haven't even played the first 4 but I can tell this is a big change from 5 . Every damn minute there's a cutscene or QTE.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 funsohng

[QUOTE="funsohng"]Ace Attorney is the only good franchise, which Capcom has decided is too good for us NA gamers now.TheShadowLord07

ace attoney 5 is coming out to the west if im not mistaken. unless you're talking one of those spin offs

I thought they werent considering it yet
rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts

What's happening to the Japanese gaming industry? Such great franchises going to waste? Final Fantasy and Resident Evil...back in PS1 days stores opened at midnight for these gems, and now they've become victim to their own shadows...I'm glad the Souls games are out there that proof that not all is bad though.

zekere
Westernization, forgetting what makes their game great and just a typical dont-give-a-fck attitude toward their old fanbase. Having said that, this sh!t will probably sell like hot cakes.
ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts
No....they might decide to mix in the style of this turd with the style of the past games. Unfortunately, this game will still sell like nuts because the name Resident Evil is on it.
PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

I'm just trying to think of Dino Crisis 1 & 2, that cheers me up.. lol

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

[QUOTE="TheShadowLord07"]

[QUOTE="funsohng"]Ace Attorney is the only good franchise, which Capcom has decided is too good for us NA gamers now.funsohng

I thought they werent considering it yet

guess i was wrong. its only a possiblity atm.

PatchMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#19 PatchMaster
Member since 2003 • 6013 Posts

I'd love to tell myself this is just the DMC2 of the series. But I think we all know Resident Evil won't be making a similar comeback. Same goes to Capcom in general as a matter of fact.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#20 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

It does look like the series has gone backwards since number 4 when the series was on a high.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

I'd love to tell myself this is just the DMC2 of the series. But I think we all know Resident Evil won't be making a similar comeback. Same goes to Capcom in general as a matter of fact.

PatchMaster

Maybe they will pull off a sonic generations eventually.:P

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

Capcom this gen has managed to kill Megaman, Resident Evil, Devil May Cry and Marvel vs. Capcom

Good ****in going Capcom. You guys suck and all of your games suck too.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts
if they want extra sales why not port Dragon's Dogma to PC so I can buy it? :Prilpas
+1... I know the Japanese hate PC gaming but I would buy Dragon's Dogma on PC. Since I sold both my 360 and PS3 I can't play the game.
immortality20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#24 immortality20
Member since 2005 • 8546 Posts

Meh, I'll play it tomorrow and decide for myself. But I think it'll sell very very well, and won't hurt capcom much. They still have great franchises like this, Street Fighter, Dead Rising and more. As much as gamers seem to love to hate everything, Capcom is still doing fine.

HaloPimp978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25 HaloPimp978
Member since 2005 • 7329 Posts

It will sale well but sales doesn't mean its a great game. And as far as RE6 killing the RE series goes I say yes this game did kill the series though I will rent the game to determine that for myself.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts
Well the gens basically over. Heres hoping Capcom starts over and strikes lucky next gen.
Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts

Capcom this gen has managed to kill Megaman, Resident Evil, Devil May Cry and Marvel vs. Capcom

VendettaRed07
Marvel vs Capcom 3 is awesome. Wtf you smokin brah?
ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#28 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

I thought GS review was too harsh, 4.5 means a broken game, like unplayable almost. RE6 is certainly playable, personally I thought IGN did a far more accurate review.

But the general tone is one of disappointment, and I can see why. RE6 is feels like it's trying to be a Gears of War wannabe. There is nothing wrong with Gears of War, it is a good action game, but this is Resident Evil, it should play like Resident Evil. Also the game uses QTE WAY too often, it works well in God of War, but that's a totally different kind of game.

But there is a lesson to be learned from RE6, more features and content do not make a game better. RE6 is packed with features; 4 different campaings, co-op, playable zombie mode, mercenaries etc...but this does not make better gameplay. Many devs should take this to heart. Quality, not quantity.

TopTierHustler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TopTierHustler

[QUOTE="VendettaRed07"]

Capitan_Kid

and the new DMC looks good.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

Capcom is trash and a despicable company. All games under them that I have cared about in the past have been worse in every way this gen. Resident Evil 6 just shows the further decay of Capcom as a company.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 super600  Moderator

I thought GS review was too harsh, 4.5 means a broken game, like unplayable almost. RE6 is certainly playable, personally I thought IGN did a far more accurate review.

But the general tone is one of disappointment, and I can see why. RE6 is feels like it's trying to be a Gears of War wannabe. There is nothing wrong with Gears of War, it is a good action game, but this is Resident Evil, it should play like Resident Evil. Also the game uses QTE WAY too often, it works well in God of War, but that's a totally different kind of game.

But there is a lesson to be learned from RE6, more features and content do not make a game better. RE6 is packed with features; 4 different campaings, co-op, playable zombie mode, mercenaries etc...but this does not make better gameplay. Many devs should take this to heart. Quality, not quantity.

ShadowMoses900

I just think it was right.I really hate games that try to throw in messed up set pieces,repetitive gameplay and an insane amount of QTE's.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 super600  Moderator

Well the gens basically over. Heres hoping Capcom starts over and strikes lucky next gen.RR360DD

Let's hope they pull off a sonic generations with their next game.

TopTierHustler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TopTierHustler

ShadowMoses900

5 is suppost to be average.

This game is clearly below average.

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 VendettaRed07

[QUOTE="VendettaRed07"]

Capitan_Kid

It wasn't bad but I didn't like it and I don't think it was nearly as good as mvc2. The combat was way too button mashy. After just a few minutes of training anyone could learn a combo with any character that could juggle you for half the match. At least in MVC 2, with a few excpetions with 2 or 3 characters it took forever to learn the timing to pull off such long lasting combos. I just didn't find the combat nearly as fun or as deep as 2. It also had an overall bland look and feel to it. X factor was stupid also.

Ontop of the game itself the way they handled the release was appauling. They charged 60$ for a beta test of the game and released a version that had all the basic things the original should have in the same year about 7 months later. The original version had a criminally small amount of stages, small roster, low online functionality. etc. And they did this so they could get an extra 40$ out of you. You don't get much lower than that. Its pretty obvious they held out on things like spectator mode just to put it in later to get people to buy it.

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 VendettaRed07

ShadowMoses900

a 4.5 means poor. Reviewers reluctants to go so low on the review scale only makes it seem like a game that gets so low a score means unplayable. A 4.5 means a poor game that is playable but just doesn't really do anything well.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

TopTierHustler

Look, I'm not defending the game, and it has a bunch of faults judging from the demo, but I thought 4.5 was a little harsh. Reviews are opinion, but its sitting at 70 on metacritic right now. Most of the time, I completely agree with Kevin Van Ord's reviews. But, based on my personal play time, I'd go with 6-7.
darkkillerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 darkkillerr
Member since 2005 • 361 Posts

Ace Attorney is the only good franchise, which Capcom has decided is too good for us NA gamers now.funsohng
you forgot the monster hunter series which has the same fate :(

TopTierHustler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TopTierHustler

[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"][QUOTE="VendettaRed07"]

VendettaRed07

It wasn't bad but I didn't like it and I don't think it was nearly as good as mvc2. The combat was way too button mashy. After just a few minutes of training anyone could learn a combo with any character that could juggle you for half the match. At least in MVC 2, with a few excpetions with 2 or 3 characters it took forever to learn the timing to pull off such long lasting combos. I just didn't find the combat nearly as fun or as deep as 2. It also had an overall bland look and feel to it. X factor was stupid also.

Ontop of the game itself the way they handled the release was appauling. They charged 60$ for a beta test of the game and released a version that had all the basic things the original should have in the same year about 7 months later. The original version had a criminally small amount of stages, small roster, low online functionality. etc. And they did this so they could get an extra 40$ out of you. You don't get much lower than that. Its pretty obvious they held out on things like spectator mode just to put it in later to get people to buy it.

What's wrong with allowing noobs to actually do basic combos? It didn't take away the fact that advanced combos and tactics still took alot of skill. Making a learning curve absurdly hard doesn't make a game good, it just makes it frustrating.

the orignial had 12 stages and 38 characters, how is that small? Tbh, I think you're being the definition of a whiny gamer here. the newer game added in 12 new characters, and at the normal 5 dollar dlc rate, they actually saved you money.

tjoeb123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 tjoeb123
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

[QUOTE="funsohng"]Ace Attorney is the only good franchise, which Capcom has decided is too good for us NA gamers now.darkkillerr

...which would REALLY HELP THE VITA'S SALES in Japan if Capcom made a Monster Hunter for it, or if Sony paid them enough money to get them to do so.
Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#40 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

zekere

It's mostly because Japanese developers are trying to appeal to the west instead of sticking to what they're good at. Nintendo and Platinum games are also two examples of japanese developers that continue to create high quality work because they're sticking to their guns.

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 VendettaRed07

[QUOTE="TopTierHustler"]

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

clone01

Look, I'm not defending the game, and it has a bunch of faults judging from the demo, but I thought 4.5 was a little harsh. Reviews are opinion, but its sitting at 70 on metacritic right now. Most of the time, I completely agree with Kevin Van Ord's reviews. But, based on my personal play time, I'd go with 6-7.

Based on my time with the demo Id say a 4.5 is generous. To have a 6-7 or 8 or 9 like some sites are giving it, the game has to do something well. Where as I pulled nothing good away from any time I played it. Nothing. It controls poorly, it plays poorly, it looks poor, the camera is poor. Just everything seems bad about the gameplay. I thought it got tedious just playing the demo, I didn't even finish all 3 sections it felt so bad. I can't imagine having to repeat sections of that over and over for several hours, sounds like torutre.

darkkillerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 darkkillerr
Member since 2005 • 361 Posts

EzcapeTheFate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 EzcapeTheFate
Member since 2010 • 1063 Posts
Already have mine preordered and paid in full, loved the demo, cant wait till tomorrow. Thank you Capcom.
VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 VendettaRed07

[QUOTE="VendettaRed07"]

[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"] Marvel vs Capcom 3 is awesome. Wtf you smokin brah?TopTierHustler

What's wrong with allowing noobs to actually do basic combos? It didn't take away the fact that advanced combos and tactics still took alot of skill. Making a learning curve absurdly hard doesn't make a game good, it just makes it frustrating.

the orignial had 12 stages and 38 characters, how is that small? Tbh, I think you're being the definition of a whiny gamer here. the newer game added in 12 new characters, and at the normal 5 dollar dlc rate, they actually saved you money.

I can understand making it easier because some aspects of MVC2 were too hard, but being able to simply bounce guys off the ground after an already long easy combo and make it even longer is what killed it. MVc2 was really difficult but if you want to do these crazy combos that last so long and do so much damage they should be that hard. I just played it for so long and nothing felt rewarding even when I learned more advanced combos. It just wasn't fun.

Avatar image for TomatoDragonPSN
TomatoDragonPSN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 TomatoDragonPSN
Member since 2012 • 535 Posts
Despite the GS score, I'll still be getting it.
clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

[QUOTE="clone01"][QUOTE="TopTierHustler"]5 is suppost to be average.

VendettaRed07

Based on my time with the demo Id say a 4.5 is generous. To have a 6-7 or 8 or 9 like some sites are giving it, the game has to do something well. Where as I pulled nothing good away from any time I played it. Nothing. It controls poorly, it plays poorly, it looks poor, the camera is poor. Just everything seems bad about the gameplay. I thought it got tedious just playing the demo, I didn't even finish all 3 sections it felt so bad. I can't imagine having to repeat sections of that over and over for several hours, sounds like torutre.

Fair enough. We'll agree to disagree on this one.
VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 VendettaRed07

[QUOTE="VendettaRed07"]

[QUOTE="clone01"] Look, I'm not defending the game, and it has a bunch of faults judging from the demo, but I thought 4.5 was a little harsh. Reviews are opinion, but its sitting at 70 on metacritic right now. Most of the time, I completely agree with Kevin Van Ord's reviews. But, based on my personal play time, I'd go with 6-7.clone01

Fair enough. We'll agree to disagree on this one.

Though I suppose we should wait to actually play it too see. Can't really review a demo heh.

Luckily my brother is buying it. I wouldn't based on what I played but now I atleast get to see if it will be as bad as it looked.

DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#48 DeadMan1290
Member since 2005 • 15752 Posts

Depends on the sales.

Puckhog04
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 funsohng

[QUOTE="funsohng"]Ace Attorney is the only good franchise, which Capcom has decided is too good for us NA gamers now.darkkillerr

I said "good franchise".
Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

holy crap this game is awful.