PS4 Version of Metal Gear Has Atmosphere Simulation

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

still a $39.99 four hour game with less than an hour of gameplay

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Doesn't Far Cry 3 do that already? Another reason why I like the game so much.

Maybe it's not a coincidence Far Cry 3 and FSX are my most-played games. Having a weather system within the game is always a nice touch which both have.

The lower vis when it rains in Far Cry 3 have an effect when I use a sniper rifle.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#53  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

So... it's a complicated skybox?

Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#54 Big_Pecks
Member since 2010 • 5973 Posts

I can't wait for the hyper-realistic rain puddles.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts
@Big_Pecks said:

I can't wait for the hyper-realistic rain puddles.

I thought Hard Reset already did some decent ones. Too bad the YT compression blurred out the splash of rain on the puddles.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#56  Edited By GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

lmao lemmings downplaying this.

sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 sandbox3d
Member since 2010 • 5166 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

Amazing feat. That must have sucked a lot of processing power...#not

Well yes, Kojima just saying "atmospheric simulation" and nothing more is vague. Technically any game console can pull it off, but to what degree?

It could eat up all the resources of any given system, or it could consume a very insignificant amount. Unless he's willing to be more specific we'll never know just how intensive it is. It all comes down to how accurate the simulation really is.

In any case, it still takes more processing power than a simple sky box which is nothing more than low res geometry with a low res diffuse map. Obviously the PS4 must have some processing muscle to spare if it's the only version of the four to utilizing this feature.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#58  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

That's uhm......cool, Kojima.

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 kinectthedots
Member since 2013 • 3383 Posts

@sandbox3d said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

Well yes, Kojima just saying "atmospheric simulation" and nothing more is vague. Technically any game console can pull it off, but to what degree?

It could eat up all the resources of any given system, or it could consume a very insignificant amount. Unless he's willing to be more specific we'll never know just how intensive it is. It all comes down to how accurate the simulation really is.

In any case, it still takes more processing power than a simple sky box which is nothing more than low res geometry with a low res diffuse map. Obviously the PS4 must have some processing muscle to spare if it's the only version of the four to utilizing this feature.

....and still doing 1080p @ 60fps

sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 sandbox3d

@foxhound_fox said:

So... it's a complicated skybox?

Not a sky box, no. Not unless he's running a simulation and then baking the results to be projected onto a skybox and looped as an animated texture. I doubt that's the case because then there would be nothing stopping the other platforms from having it.

As I'm sure you know, a sky box is either a relatively gigantic cube, or half sphere in 3d space with a sky texture applied. Some developers get more elaborate and creative by animating the texture and/or geometry and sometimes layering multiple boxes/spheres animated at different speeds to produce some really cool effects.

Atmospheric simulation has no box. You have a "physical" sun, a calculated horizon and access to modifying the density and distance of haze. A lot of work has been put into these systems over the years utilizing real world data. If you want to set up a scene to look like it's July the 4th at 1:30 pm in Los Angeles, you can do so. Of course it's a rough generic average from data accumulated over the years, but it makes for a great starting point that you can easily modify and build upon. From there you can set up some default cloud parameters and allow them to run their course.

And wow I almost kept going, sorry for the long winded answer. Obviously I have no idea how accurate or intensive these simulations will be in MGS5, but it's a good deal more complicated than a sky box.

sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By sandbox3d
@kinectthedots said:

@sandbox3d said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

....and still doing 1080p @ 60fps

Yes. I'm sure that given enough time the Xbox One could pull it off all the same. I'm positive that it could. Obviously there will be much more impressive looking games on both consoles in the coming years.

However, this is just another example showing that the PS4 has some extra legroom whereas the Xbox One will take some extra effort to see similar results. When devs really start squeezing both of these systems the Xbox One will not be able to keep up. I know it's been said before, but I do believe that the fidelity difference will be a repeat of the original Xbox vs. the Playstation 2.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

@xhawk27 said:

@PinkieWinkie said:

@xhawk27: its obvious the ps4 is using other effects with also higher res. The x1 is hardly different from last gen version.

Xbox One has ten times the amount of Ram of last gen consoles.

So the Xbone has 5,00+0 MB of ram? Let me guess, it's all cloud based? hahahaha

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#63 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@gameofthering said:

I don't think I'm seeing it. What is it that is supposed to be different?

The Sky.

People look at how different the sky is and they go "OH MAN! NEXT GEN! PS4 ONLY!"

Let's forget the fact most of the game they showed looked near Identical to the other Versions.

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts

Big deal, Morrowind did this 12 years ago.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#65 deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
Member since 2013 • 2638 Posts

@DarthBilf: Bluer sky ??????

ARE YOU SERIOUS ???

The power of GDDR5 at work ?!!

You are making GDDR5 sound weaker than it is.

PS4 HAS SKY SIMULATION AND XBOX ONE DOESN’T EVEN THOUGH EVEN THE PS3 AND XBOX 360 CAN RENDER IT !!

FFS

Avatar image for deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#66  Edited By deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
Member since 2013 • 2638 Posts

@PinkieWinkie: You are making me cry and you’re stubbornness is making you look good.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@xhawk27 said:

The Xbox One has the better CPU. Faster speeds so if those simulation is based on metal ray then the Xbox One version have have this same simulation.

Oh oh..... It look like GDDR5 didn't stall the CPU like some wanted to believe,add true HSA design and the xbox one 100mhz mean sh** as this benchmark show,there are more to CPU that speed,specially if one system appear to be bottleneck.