PS4 Sells 1 Million+ Units In NA | Best Launch In History

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#152  Edited By Nonstop-Madness  Online
Member since 2008 • 12331 Posts

@bbkkristian said:

1 million people bought a system with the most s****y launch lineup we've seen in a while. So, this is proof that all you need in order to sell your system is good hardware with some comments saying that it's "next gen". Games don't matter apparently.

Because people who buy a next gen console at launch buy it based on a vision. 327K players on PS4 are playing Ghosts. Games sell a next gen console and it doesn't matter if they are multiplat or exclusive. It's been like 7 years since a new PlayStation or Xbox console has been released. People simply want new consoles now and not later. There are plenty of games that are coming out to justify your purchase as well. You have all of the traditional sports games, COD, BF, NFS, AC, exclusives etc; you basically have all of the essentials.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#153  Edited By kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12063 Posts

@Desmonic said:

@kuu2 said:

@Desmonic said:

@kuu2 said:

Sales always matter. They matter more though when those sales are not defective.

Oh. Are perhaps then saying that the X360 sales didn't matter or weren't as "legit" as others due to the massive RROD issues that plagued the console during it's first two years? Interesting...

MSoft paid a billion, I wonder how much Sony has in the piggy bank to pay?

Worry not, they have more than you or me in there ;) You have not answered my question though.

You missed my point. Sales don't mean squat if things are breaking. If MSoft had not fixed the problem then they would have lost tons of sales. They paid a billion to buy back the trust of consumers. Sony has yet to do that with the PS4 and Sony had to be forced to do it on the PS2.

StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#154 StrifeDelivery
Member since 2006 • 1901 Posts

@finalstar2007 said:

@kaealy said:

Cows last gen: I don't play sells, just you wait.

Cows this gen: Sells!

Well now that the table has changed it would only make sense the cows will do exactly what the lems did last gen this gen.

blame only the lems not the cows

Well Cows were happy with sales when it came to PS1 and PS2, both over 100M units sold. In a way, it would be odd for cows to not talk about sales.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#155 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

@marcheegsr said:

I guess the people calling the ps4 launch a flop look really stupid right now.

Why would they? The launch lineup is still shit. The numbers are impressive though.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#157  Edited By Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

@Desmonic said:

@bbkkristian said:

1 million people bought a system with the most s****y launch lineup we've seen in a while. So, this is proof that all you need in order to sell your system is good hardware with some comments saying that it's "next gen". Games don't matter apparently.

Sh!tty launch lineup? You must be confused. The PS3 had a sh!tty launch lineup. PS4, WiiU and X1 had or will have the most solid lineup launches in a while. All the big multiplats + a couple of decent exclusives. That means quantity, quality and variety, which means there is something for everyone without having to wait. This gen consoles can't really complain much about their launch lineup IMO.

Could they have been better (the ones that already happened)? Sure. Were they bad by any means? Not really.

I don't know about that, a bunch of sports games that are going to be worthless in a year and a bunch of military first person shooters all of which are forgettable multiplats best played on PC, is not my idea of a solid launch lineup. And considering the failure of Knack and ShadowFall, i wouldn't call them worth owning.

Basically, the launch lineup is filler until the system gathers truly great games. Games that are worth owning the console itself.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#159 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Damn, guess people don't care about games.

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts

It'll surpass the Wii U sales within a month. Wow, that's just crazy.

TrevorPhilips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#161 TrevorPhilips
Member since 2013 • 996 Posts

@princessgomez92: PS4 has plenty of great games already. Keep up the DC, though.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

Unless its a fail console like the wiiu it really boils down to the availability. 360 and PS 2 were way more hyped than PS 4 but simply didnt have the availability.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

@Snugenz said:

Great numbers, but are you sure all those other consoles didn't have supply issues keeping the numbers down?. Didn't PS3 and 360 have big supply issues at first?.

360 was hard to find even 4-5 months after launch.

Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#164  Edited By Big_Pecks
Member since 2010 • 5973 Posts

@marcheegsr said:

alol. No. There's really no reason to own one right now. The exclusives are a critical bomb and aren't worth it, and the obligatory FPS' can be played on an old console.

Liquid_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#165  Edited By Liquid_
Member since 2003 • 3832 Posts

yea those numbers are impressive, but to be fair to other launch consoles they didn't have as many units as the ps4 did at launch

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#166 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

@dilfersdimes said:

@princessgomez92: PS4 has plenty of great games already. Keep up the DC, though.

Please list all these great games.

W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 W1NGMAN-
Member since 2008 • 10109 Posts

Can't say I'm surprised, why anyone assumed low scoring reviews on launch titles (mainly from GS) would have any effect on sales is beyond me. No one in their right mind buys a new console expecting amazing titles from the get go. I expect the XBOX ONE to have a pretty mediocre launch line up but sell nearly as well if not better than the PS4.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
Member since 2008 • 4166 Posts

Good to see the PS4 do so well in arguably it's weakest region. I'm expecting even stronger sales across Europe.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#169  Edited By R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

So pretty much all preorders translated into actual sales? Good for Sony, I look forward to picking up mine in February

Kingpin0114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By Kingpin0114
Member since 2008 • 2607 Posts

Lems sound mad. Very curious to see how the xbone does on Friday.

StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By StrifeDelivery
Member since 2006 • 1901 Posts

@R3FURBISHED said:

So pretty much all preorders translated into actual sales? Good for Sony, I look forward to picking up mine in February

Yeah, in a way. Some pre-orders probably dropped, some on-site buys probably picked up the slack.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

What's new? Just the usual Playstation domination continuation

TruthArisen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 TruthArisen
Member since 2013 • 403 Posts

Wonder Woman is satisfied.

"Xbox has been rendered, irrelevant. "

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

@Big_Pecks said:

@marcheegsr said:

alol. No. There's really no reason to own one right now. The exclusives are a critical bomb and aren't worth it, and the obligatory FPS' can be played on an old console.

That's your view on the matter. I Didn't buy those games on ps3 since I knew I was getting a ps4.

Personally Im loving Killzone, BF4, Fifa 14, AC Black flag and NFS rivals. I would have made a mistake NOT to purchase ps4 at launch. This is my view on the matter.

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 BeardMaster
Member since 2012 • 1686 Posts
@Kingpin0114 said:

Lems sound mad. Very curious to see how the xbone does on Friday.

That basically just comes down to supply and who has more of it, both consoles have been sold out of preorders for months now.

Really the gauge of success is how long they stay sold out.

NoirLamia777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#176 NoirLamia777
Member since 2012 • 3180 Posts

Holy shit, Sony Domination Continuation!

FIipMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#177  Edited By FIipMode
Member since 2009 • 10850 Posts

@kuu2 said:

@FIipMode said:

@kuu2 said:

@SinjinSmythe said:

Please allow me to piss on this parade. 1million sold is great but when you factor in a almost 50% failure rate.............................you might want to put the cork back in the champagne.

1. Blue lights of Death. Could not turn PS4 on. No any image on TV

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW-eDs9kxeo

2. Red Line Of Death (RLOD). PS4 constantly overheats and shuts down or freezes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpvitvoDSWk

3. White line of Death (WLOD). HDD problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoKB80wvqow

4. Defective controller. Thumbstick rubber peels off & R1 button gets stuck

- R1 button gets stuck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSk8GPldOSM

- PS4 Controller R1 Button Defective after only 10 hours of play

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzvyIMmvPzw

5. Wobbles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1cZjmx7qfM

6. Strange sound when inserting disc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tlHzTPksMI

7. HDMI cable problem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbJfqGbQYXQ

8. PS4 is very loud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2T_p05WA_4

9. Electroshocks its owner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD9_kTxjAeA

10. Bad assembly and cheap plastic. Someone could not find its power button because it was missed.

11. Defective disc drive. Sometimes can't play disc based games or movies.

12. The screen is glitchy.

13. Battery in controller dies in less than 6 hours of gameplay.

Other problems and complains:

- Bluray loads painfully slow.

- Blu-ray will not output digital sound, neither will games. But the dashboard will?

- Blu-ray looks DVD quality and a little bit muddy.

- Blue blinding light on controller, with no option to turn it off.

- Constant game freezing

- Poor interface for inviting friends to online games

- Just plain poor interface

- 3.5 hour initial set up.

Quoted for everyone that is in denial about there being problems.

But a good amount of those are lies. Do you have a PS4?

Yes I do actually but it is still in the box because I am trying to sell it. What does having a console have to do with Sony struggling at the moment?

Then I don't get why you would quote a list with misinformation in it.

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

That's pretty damn impressive.

I'm planning to get a PS4 when it releases here in Europe. But still in doubt when to purchase it. Launch day, wait for Christmas Day or wait until next year... I don't know.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA! LOOK AT THAT DC!

LEMS, SHEEP, HERMITS am CRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE KING IS BACK!

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@kuu2 said:

@Karpetburnz said:

@-Damien-:

They will all of a sudden say " sales dont matter " even though Lems rampaged the internet bragging about sales all gen.

Sales always matter. They matter more though when those sales are not defective.

This is one of the most HYPOCRITE comment i have read on this forum.

The factory defect rate for Xbox 360 consoles in August 2005 - four months prior to its US launch - was as high as 68 per cent.

Later on, Takahashi's sources claim that Microsoft was well aware of the massive defect rate (although entertainment division boss Robbie Bach has subsequently denied there was any concern about it at the time) and chose to press on with the console's launch anyway.

Over 1.2 million consoles were returned by early 2007, he wrote, and eventually Microsoft announced a free replacement service as it got its head around the problem.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/original-360-defect-rate-was-68-per-cent

From its November 2005 launch onward, Microsoft's Xbox 360 has been plagued by reports of malfunctioning consoles. While the company downplayed reports of faulty hardware for the better part of a year after launch, last September it acknowledged that its original batch of systems was failing at an unusually high rate. Microsoft extended the standard 90-day warranty to a full year, and promised to reimburse all those customers who had already been made to pay for repairs.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/microsoft-extending-360-warranty-to-three-years/1100-6173633/

Nearly 10 months later, Microsoft has now apparently admitted that the initial shipments of Xbox 360s were failing at a greater than normal rate. "As part of our standard and ongoing process of analyzing repair data, we recently noticed a higher than usual number of [360] units coming in for repair," Microsoft said in a statement sent to GameSpot. "Upon further investigation, it was further discovered that the bulk of the units were isolated to a group that was part of the initial manufacturing run of the console. Returns for repair are coming in for a variety reasons, and it's a higher rate than we are satisfied with."

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/microsoft-cops-to-360-repair-comps/1100-6158147/

Look at that last quote how MS openly lie and claim it was just a bulk of units in a group that where part of the initial manufacturing run what was the so call problem,this was like 10 months before MS extended its warranty for the second time to 3 years..

You are a huge Hypocrite the xbox 360 got it even worse true fail rates on 50+% rates,i guess problems only count when they are on PS4,1 million sold in 1 day and we haven't see even a quart of what MS got on 2005 with the xbox 360 hardware.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

lol at finally breaking a 3 year silence on sales numbers.

as long as sony has nothing to compare to they are happy to give out the info.

OfficerLeach_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#182 OfficerLeach_
Member since 2010 • 419 Posts

Im glad 1 million people and counting are not worried about these pointless threads and long lists of lies(or overinflated/exaggerated numbers) and opinions that all the lems are freaking out about on SW...can yall stop crying now? I am curious how the One will sale though? I think it will fine also because the amount of casuals who dont keep track of the numbers, hardware, or whatnot.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@kuu2 said:

You missed my point. Sales don't mean squat if things are breaking. If MSoft had not fixed the problem then they would have lost tons of sales. They paid a billion to buy back the trust of consumers. Sony has yet to do that with the PS4 and Sony had to be forced to do it on the PS2.

You poor sad lemming it took MS almost 2 years to raise the warranty to 3 years,they basically denied high fail rates and made people pay $150 for repair in what damn planet did you live dude.?

The PS4 has 3 damn days on the market and sony in no way shape or form is denying to fix units,in fact Kotaku one was send to sony,that alone kill your whole argument but wait Hypocrite did you know that on 2005 there were no 360 to give.? So If MS could not fix you units you have to wait a month or 2 until the yields improved to get a new console,because they have a huge shortage thanks to yields issues,many people had to wait months to get a 360.

So yeah stop damage controlling so much dude,you look desperate..hahaha

lglz1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 lglz1337
Member since 2013 • 4959 Posts

@Riverwolf007: hmmm why is MSnot comparing the power difference of both systems right now just like they did before ?? hmm i wonder

TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

Wonder how Nintendo will react with the Wii U. I know they would like to just try and keep chugging along here, but seeing the PS4 and soon the Xbox One completely outsell them means they have to do something drastic. ($199 price cut).

Avatar image for Douevenlift_bro
Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 Douevenlift_bro
Member since 2013 • 6804 Posts

@kuu2: PS4 just came out you butthurt lunatic lol also there's no proof of a high failure rate. None

The X360 was a sloppy P.O.S and MS is done. U scared baby?!

TLHBO!!!! Hahaha

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

@lglz1337 said:

@Riverwolf007: hmmm why is MSnot comparing the power difference of both systems right now just like they did before ?? hmm i wonder

yeah ms was really advertising the power difference between the 360 and ps3.

derp.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts

@Sweenix said:

IN HISTORY

So you avoid the consoles before 2000 because???

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@kuu2: well there hasnt been a console to ever sell this much either

Uh.... What does this mean?

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

Return of the King. No way Xbone is gonna match these numbers.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#191  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Incredible, just incredible.

Congratulations, Sony. You deserve this one.

beerm_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 beerm_basic
Member since 2002 • 2488 Posts

Remarkable truely astonishing launch :0 cant believe its gunna catch wiiu in no time.

Amazing considering this is with killer apps too

Bren128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 Bren128
Member since 2003 • 2358 Posts

LOL Where dem lems at ? Pissing their pants this is domination!

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#194 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

@Desmonic: so you're telling me people bought it for current gen titles? That's mostly what makes up that list.

Bren128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 Bren128
Member since 2003 • 2358 Posts

@Lucianu said:

@marcheegsr said:

Why would they? The launch lineup is still shit. The numbers are impressive though.

Killzone? Battlefield? Resogun? Cod? better then last gen

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Oh about 33% of WiiU installbase in about one day...that was fast:D

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@Desmonic said:

@bbkkristian said:

@Desmonic: so you're telling me people bought it for current gen titles? That's mostly what makes up that list.

Yeah. The other thread about CoD's 300k or whatever online users mostly proves it, no? However multiplats like NBA2k14, Fifa 14, BF4, AC4 and whatnot look far better on PS4 than they do on PS3, so the fact that the new console has thoses titles and there's already a noticeable difference pulls a loooot of that mulitplat crowd in. It's a con when we thing in SW terms, it's a huge pro when we think in real world term. Same thing will happen with the X1 launch.

Well, let's not forget, it looks better than the 360 and the XBox One as well as being $100 cheaper. PS4 is a tantalizing prospect for casual gamers who do the CoD/Sports thing in that respect. Very much something MS was not betting on when they unveiled the XBone originally. Word of mouth is a powerful thing, and people know the PS4 has a significant power advantage this time around.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 6002 Posts

1,000,000 = $60,000,000 loss for Sony and with no games any time soon no real income.

Numbers means nothing, profits mean everything