PS4 Sells 1 Million+ Units In NA | Best Launch In History

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Sweenix (5396 posts) -

IN 1 DAY!

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/playstation4-sales-surpass-1-million-units-in-north-america-in-24-hours-232248401.html

TOKYO, Nov. 17, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCE) today announced that the highly anticipated launch of the PlayStation®4 (PS4™) computer entertainment system resulted in

1 million units sold through during the first 24 hours after it became available on November 15, 2013 in the United States and Canada.

(Logo:)

http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20020701/SFM066LOGO

"PS4™ was designed with an unwavering commitment to gamers, and we are thrilled that consumer reaction has been so phenomenal," said Andrew House, President and Group CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment, Inc. "Sales remain very strong in North America, and we expect continued enthusiasm as we launch the PlayStation 4 in Europe and Latin America on November 29. We are extremely grateful for the passion of PlayStation fans and thank them for their continued support."

Comparisons

• Playstation 4 - 24hr - over 1 million console sold
  • PS2 took 3 days to ship 1 million units,
  • Wii U - 1 week(168hr) - 400 000 console sold
  • Wii - 8 days(192hr) - 600 000 console sold
  • Playstation 3 - 2 months - 1 million console sold
  • Xbox 360 - 2 weeks - 326,000 console sold
  • It should Pass the Wii U within a few weeks (1.75m NA) 1.39M sold through.

Say what you want about the games, But PS4 will be breaking records regardless.

Update

https://twitter.com/yosp/status/402015039063724033

Shuhei Yoshida ‏@yosp 7m

PS4 has sold through over 1 million units within 24 hours of the launch in North America!!! :D

Adam Boyes ‏@amboyes

Thanks to all of you gamers in getting us to 1,000,000 sales of #PS4 in our first 24 hours!

#2 Posted by SuperCowElitist (730 posts) -

357,000 are playing COD:Ghost on ps4 with an install base of 1 million, that's really amazing.

I ready somewhere that COD:ghost players on xbox live is only around 200,000 right now, that's pretty sad with an install base of 50 million

#3 Posted by lglz1337 (3115 posts) -

and those lemmings crying about launch titles low scores even ps2 had better games this should say something.. cows being smart ? they know what sony has in store

#4 Edited by lglz1337 (3115 posts) -

@supercowelitist: means hardcore gamers are on ps4 good sign verry good sign indeed!

the living breathing world gets better and better

#5 Posted by Sweenix (5396 posts) -

And remember, this is sold through, meaning all those 1million units have been sold to the customers.

#6 Posted by lglz1337 (3115 posts) -

@Sweenix: it also means ps4 selling without "ps4 crap launch titles lemmins love to call"

#7 Posted by SuperCowElitist (730 posts) -

@lglz1337 said:

@supercowelitist: means hardcore gamers are on ps4 good sign verry good sign indeed!

Or maybe lemmings don't buy games anymore? They did hype up that Halo Tv Show to be Microsoft Killer app.

#8 Posted by Kingpin0114 (2522 posts) -

Got Damn! Over 1 million in one day...in its weakest market too? Good job Sony

#9 Edited by Sweenix (5396 posts) -

@lglz1337 said:

@Sweenix: it also means ps4 selling without "ps4 crap launch titles lemmins love to call"

The PS4's launch line up is pretty bad though, But lems shouldn't call ps4 owners out for relying on multiplats, seeing as they have been doing that for several years. "eg 360's dire exclusive list"

Double standards at it's finest.

#10 Posted by ihsanqueen (866 posts) -

This is actually really good news because this happened when it's only sold in NA, a place where 360 sold much more than PS3

Although I expect Xbone sold more in NA, when it's combined with worldwide sales, I expect PS4 sells more than Xbone

#11 Edited by PinkiePirate (2086 posts) -

357,000 are playing COD:Ghost on ps4 with an install base of 1 million, that's really amazing.

I ready somewhere that COD:ghost players on xbox live is only around 200,000 right now, that's pretty sad with an install base of 50 million

Yeah. That is impressive. I hope Sony meets their projection of 5 million by March. I really want to see the community going with streaming and such.

#12 Posted by FreedomFreeLife (1986 posts) -

@Sweenix said:

@lglz1337 said:

The PS4's launch line up is pretty bad though, But lems shouldn't call ps4 owners out for relying on multiplats, seeing as they have been doing that for several years. "eg 360's dire exclusive list"

Double standards at it's finest/

Every console has weak launch line up, but later PS4 will have more exclusives than other platform. I mean PS1 had most exclusives, PS2 had most exclusives, PS3 had best and most exclusives.

#13 Posted by _Matt_ (8837 posts) -

That's highly impressive. Wonder how well it will do in Europe when it launches here later this month.

#14 Posted by Kingpin0114 (2522 posts) -

Can only imagine what this will do in Europe. At this rate, it will pass the Wii U by New Years.

#15 Posted by Sweenix (5396 posts) -

To put things in perspective, the PS4 sold 3X what the Xbox 360 did and 4x what the PS3 did.

#16 Posted by Floppy_Jim (25543 posts) -

PS2 2? We'll see. That's a hell of a good start.

#17 Posted by lglz1337 (3115 posts) -
#18 Edited by _Matt_ (8837 posts) -

@Sweenix:

Is that 3x/4x of the US launches of said consoles? Or world?

#19 Posted by GrayF0X786 (3832 posts) -

nice

#20 Posted by FreedomFreeLife (1986 posts) -

Playstation 4 - 24hr - over 1 million console sold

Wii U - 1 week(168hr) - 400 000 console sold

Wii - 8 days(192hr) - 600 000 console sold

Xbox 360 - 2 weeks - 326,000 console sold

Playstation 3 - 2 months - 1 million console sold

#21 Edited by Sweenix (5396 posts) -

@_Matt_ said:

@Sweenix:

Is that 3x/4x of the US launches of said consoles? Or world?

US Launches, the PS3 sold 250k in North America, while the xbox 360 sold 330k

Edit

Actually the 250k was the japan sales, although it took 2 months for the PS3 to ship 1million unit's in north america.

#22 Edited by Trail_Mix (2021 posts) -

Wow, that's awesome.

#23 Edited by Caseytappy (2128 posts) -

One million already is incredible !

#24 Posted by Sweenix (5396 posts) -

Playstation 4 - 24hr - over 1 million console sold

Wii U - 1 week(168hr) - 400 000 console sold

Wii - 8 days(192hr) - 600 000 console sold

Xbox 360 - 2 weeks - 326,000 console sold

Playstation 3 - 2 months - 1 million console sold

Will add to the op :) thanks

#25 Posted by FreedomFreeLife (1986 posts) -

Sony - Good price, powerful console - keep hardcore

Microsoft - Higher price, weaker console - more casual

Nintendo - Lower price, weaker console - more casual

Sony did it right, if Sony started to catch casual gamers(like Microsoft) then Sony would lost a lot too. Microsoft saw how well Kinect sold, so they tought if they make Kinect 2.0 with Xbox One then it sell a lot, but looks like Microsoft is wrong about it. Also, Nintendo saw how well Wii did, so they re-make Wii and tought it will sell a lot too, but they were wrong.

#26 Posted by cheesie253 (838 posts) -

That's insane. What a number.

#27 Edited by _Matt_ (8837 posts) -

@Sweenix:

Even more impressive then. We shall have to see how quickly this drops off though, hopefully it will retain some momentum

#28 Edited by PinkiePirate (2086 posts) -

Congratulations, Sony.

#29 Posted by freedomfreak (38716 posts) -

Very, very, very impressive.

#30 Posted by mrintro (1354 posts) -

It's a combination of price and having waited so long for next gen

#31 Edited by Sagemode87 (791 posts) -

Amazing, I doubt X1 will come close to that. Congratulations Sony!

#32 Posted by Pokemon266 (369 posts) -
#33 Edited by campzor (34932 posts) -

Pathetic lems incoming.

#34 Edited by Gue1 (9416 posts) -

Domination can't be stopped. It's written on the prophecy. PS4 is salvation.

#35 Posted by Spartan070 (16326 posts) -

@lglz1337 said:

...and they all choose to play CoD...

#36 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10142 posts) -

Best launch mean anything? so millions of idiots buying it mean anything?? No

I cant think of any worthy PS4 launch title. new generation of consoles are no other than dumbed down PC.

#37 Posted by Shewgenja (8326 posts) -

But it's not a water cooler. How can this happen?

#38 Posted by -Damien- (5221 posts) -

so lemms like to talk NPD number, right? let's talk lemms

#39 Posted by _Matt_ (8837 posts) -
#40 Edited by TheGuardian03 (21431 posts) -

impressive

#41 Edited by HitmanActual (317 posts) -

Hope that means they will be working hard to get some great games out ASAP to keep the momentum.

#42 Posted by KungfuKitten (20768 posts) -

Guys this could be the downfall of MS in gaming :o

#43 Edited by _Matt_ (8837 posts) -

Hope that means they will be working hard to get some great games out ASAP to keep the momentum.

Me too! Well Watch Dogs and Infamous will be out early next year which will be sweet; and Destiny and The Order will follow not too long after that. It's Q3 onwards I think there will be a draught.

#44 Posted by RimacBugatti (1189 posts) -

I am so glad that I stayed with Sony instead of well you know the other guy. It's a wonderful console and it has a lot to offer. It has what it takes to push through the next few years of the new gen. With Driveclub and Uncharted 4 and many other wonderful exclusives I am confident that PS4 is and will be in the lead the entire gen. True gamers are for Sony. Haven't played mine yet because I have to wait for Christmas. :( Well worth the wait though. PS4 is a beast! Sony please bring the exclusives even if we have to bring back some old school exclusives with innovation. Definitely looking forward to Fight Night even if it's not an exclusive but if Sony made an exclusive boxing game that would be awesome.

#45 Posted by tormentos (16756 posts) -

@_Matt_ said:

@Sweenix:

Even more impressive then. We shall have to see how quickly this drops off though, hopefully it will retain some momentum

Drop.? The only thing i can see stopping sony momentum is sony not having enough units to sell,black Fryday hasn't even happen yet,and the the best part of Christmas either,i bet that if the have 2 more million units they would sold them in US alone,that without counting EU if sony had 5 million units it would probably sold them out by january 1st.

#46 Posted by ihsanqueen (866 posts) -

Where is @kingoflife9 with all stupid thread stating that PS4 launch will be disaster, TLHBO!!

#47 Posted by tormentos (16756 posts) -

Amazing, I doubt X1 will come close to that. Congratulations Sony!

I say MS will refuse to give numbers on launch and will focus more probably on money generated,you know since the xbox one is $100 more try to use it as advantage claiming high sales using dollars signs instead of real numbers.

#48 Posted by _Matt_ (8837 posts) -

@_Matt_ said:

@Sweenix:

Drop.? The only thing i can see stopping sony momentum is sony not having enough units to sell,black Fryday hasn't even happen yet,and the the best part of Christmas either,i bet that if the have 2 more million units they would sold them in US alone,that without counting EU if sony had 5 million units it would probably sold them out by january 1st.

Yes, drop. Everyone knows that the current games lineup, while great, is nothing completely special; most people who wanted a PS4, will buy day 1, or when the next batch of decent games comes out for it (Feb time)

Yes Black Friday will be a good sales boost I'm sure. Not sure about Christmas though, people may have all got in there as early as possible (i.e: launch) to make sure they didn't disappoint who they were buying them for.

1 million sales in 1 day is amazing, but do you really think that momentum of 1,000,000 or heck, even 500,000 a day can continue for long?

#49 Edited by Snugenz (11711 posts) -

Great numbers, but are you sure all those other consoles didn't have supply issues keeping the numbers down?. Didn't PS3 and 360 have big supply issues at first?.

#50 Posted by IgGy621985 (4602 posts) -

Best launch mean anything? so millions of idiots buying it mean anything?? No

I cant think of any worthy PS4 launch title. new generation of consoles are no other than dumbed down PC.

So I'm primarily a PC gamer, I have a high-end gaming rig, and I really want PS4. Are you calling me an idiot?