PS4 is the fastest selling ANYTHING of all time

• 168 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

I did some research, and the PlayStation 4 is the fastest selling anything released, ever. No other consumer electronic has ever sold faster than the PlayStation 4 has*. This includes not only other consoles, such as the Wii and PS2, or handhelds such as the Nintendo DS, but also highly regarded and amazing selling consumer electronic devices such as iPod, iPhone, and iPad. The PlayStation 4 is beating everything.

For comparison's sake, I will be comparing the sales of all these products five months into their release (which is where the PlayStation 4 currently stands). The results are truly amazing:

• iPod: (0.12 million units sold worldwide six months after launch)
  • iPhone: 1.46 million units sold worldwide six months after launch)
  • iPad: (6.21 million units sold worldwide five months after launch)
  • PlayStation 2: (2.51 million units sold worldwide five months after launch)**
  • Wii: (6.62 million units sold worldwide after launch)
  • Nintendo DS: (4.76 million units sold worldwide after launch)

Before we proceed, here are several caveats:

• Where possible, I tried to use exact comparisons. Since five months is such an odd unit (companies report in units of three) in many cases, it became impossible to gain an accurate picture by using quarterly reports; in that case, total cumulative sales at the end of the nearest quarter since launch were taken, divided by the total number of months since launch, and then multiplied by 5 (such as for Wii, sales at the end of its third quarter {the first finished quarter after its fifth month on the market} were 9.27 million. 9.27/7*5=6.62 million)
  • For a lot of these products, the launches were staggered (such as for the PS2). In this case, the date of the earliest launch was treated as the product launch.

Given all of this, it's amazing the rate at which the PS4 is selling- seven million in just five months is a lot! It's more than any other system, any other stand alone consumer electronic product, has ever achieved!

Take a bow, Sony. You deserve your success this time around. You really, truly do.

* Peripherals, accessories, and software bundles may have sold faster, but they don't count- for instance, an argument can be made that the Kinect (w/ Kinect Adventures), Wii Balance Board (w/ Wii Fit), and Wii Wheel (w/ Mario Kart Wii) may have sold faster, but as they are supplements to existing products, and not standalone products, they are not comparable.

** The PlayStation 2 had only launched in Japan at the end of this period.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

But sony is teh doomed

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 inb4uall

@Blabadon said:

WHY THE **** WOULD YOU SHARE THIS WITH COWS NOW THIS FORUM WILL BE MORE FUCKED

Why you mad tho?

lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By lbjkurono23
Member since 2007 • 12544 Posts

Do they have anymore buildings left?

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By TigerSuperman
Member since 2013 • 4331 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

I did some research, and the PlayStation 4 is the fastest selling anything released, ever. No other consumer electronic has ever sold faster than the PlayStation 4 has*. This includes not only other consoles, such as the Wii and PS2, or handhelds such as the Nintendo DS, but also highly regarded and amazing selling consumer electronic devices such as iPod, iPhone, and iPad. The PlayStation 4 is beating everything.

For comparison's sake, I will be comparing the sales of all these products five months into their release (which is where the PlayStation 4 currently stands). The results are truly amazing:

• Where possible, I tried to use exact comparisons. Since five months is such an odd unit (companies report in units of three) in many cases, it became impossible to gain an accurate picture by using quarterly reports; in that case, total cumulative sales at the end of the nearest quarter since launch were taken, divided by the total number of months since launch, and then multiplied by 5 (such as for Wii, sales at the end of its third quarter {the first finished quarter after its fifth month on the market} were 9.27 million. 9.27/7*5=6.62 million)
  • For a lot of these products, the launches were staggered (such as for the PS2). In this case, the date of the earliest launch was treated as the product launch.

Given all of this, it's amazing the rate at which the PS4 is selling- seven million in just five months is a lot! It's more than any other system, any other stand alone consumer electronic product, has ever achieved!

Take a bow, Sony. You deserve your success this time around. You really, truly do.

* Peripherals, accessories, and software bundles may have sold faster, but they don't count- for instance, an argument can be made that the Kinect (w/ Kinect Adventures), Wii Balance Board (w/ Wii Fit), and Wii Wheel (w/ Mario Kart Wii) may have sold faster, but as they are supplements to existing products, and not standalone products, they are not comparable.

So you did no research because the only thin you looked up not a game console was the I-products. So you took no time at all on any research.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7  Edited By stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

Sony>>>>>Apple. FACT!

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I wish I was more into sales, but I'm just waiting on more games.

Intriguing if true though.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

Very Impressive.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 inb4uall

@TigerSuperman said:

@charizard1605 said:

So you did no research because the only thin you looked up not a game console was the I-products. So you took no time at all on any research.

Yes because not posting anything about the others automatically means that he didn't research them right?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@inb4uall said:

@TigerSuperman said:

@charizard1605 said:

Yes because not posting anything about the others automatically means that he didn't research them right?

Also important is the fact that outside of gaming consoles, iProducts are the highest selling consumer electronic products, so if something is outselling them, it's also outselling everything else by extension.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 TigerSuperman
Member since 2013 • 4331 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@inb4uall said:

@TigerSuperman said:

@charizard1605 said:

Also important is the fact that outside of gaming consoles, iProducts are the highest selling consumer electronic products, so if something is outselling them, it's also outselling everything else by extension.

Which is incorrect. The freaking RAZR V3 outsold the first Iphone in the same time frames, what are you on?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@TigerSuperman said:

@charizard1605 said:

@inb4uall said:

@TigerSuperman said:

@charizard1605 said:

Which is incorrect. The freaking RAZR V3 outsold the first Iphone in the same time frames, what are you on?

Sure, stop talking out of your ass and give me the link, and I'll put it in the OP.

Indicud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#17  Edited By Indicud
Member since 2013 • 745 Posts

That's actually really fucking impressive.

Don't Iphones sell like 10's of millions of phones a quarter now though?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Indicud said:

That's actually really fucking impressive.

Don't Iphones sell like 10's of millions of phones a quarter now though?

Now, yes. We are however assessing each product from launch.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By inb4uall

@charizard1605 said:

@TigerSuperman said:

@charizard1605 said:

@inb4uall said:

@TigerSuperman said:

@charizard1605 said:

Sure, stop talking out of your ass and give me the link, and I'll put it in the OP.

Regardless it would still be less than the ipad. Another48hours being pathetic as usual.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

The fact that its managing numbers like that with such a slim library is astonishing

Xaero_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Xaero_Gravity
Member since 2011 • 9856 Posts

That's insanely impressive. Bravo Sony.

tonitorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22  Edited By tonitorsi
Member since 2006 • 8692 Posts

@SolidTy said:

Oh, come on.

Where is my 2005-2008 Ty and what have you done with him!?

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#23 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Is anyone surprised?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@The_Last_Ride said:

Is anyone surprised?

At the fact that it's outpacing stuff like the iPad? Definitely, yeah.

ominous_titan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ominous_titan
Member since 2009 • 1217 Posts

This is the fourth play station so comparing it to the first I pod is flawed logic. The intellect of cows is at all time low. Keep playing them sales on the indiestation yo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@ominous_titan said:

This is the fourth play station so comparing it to the first I pod is flawed logic. The intellect of cows is at all time low. Keep playing them sales on the indiestation yo

The fourth PlayStation is an entirely different product running entirely different hardware and software than the first PlayStation.

The seventh iPhone or nineteenth iPod (or whatever the **** we are on now) still run the exact same software- there is no song that runs on an iPod Touch that won't run on a classic iPod.

Also, did you call me a cow? Looooooool

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

Even faster selling than Kinect(lol)?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Floppy_Jim said:

As I mention in the OP, nope, but Kinect is a supplementary product (and therefore much easier to sell to an existing base) as opposed to a brand new product, so it is not comparable.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29  Edited By blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@inb4uall said:

But sony is teh doomed

Not until all their building and stocks are sold, and all the employees are laid off. They are getting closure. Let's hope they hang in there for the rest of this generation.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#31 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

Is anyone surprised?

Personally i think stuff from Apple is way overpriced. Sure it's great, but just too expensive to what you can get with other operating systems or other companies

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 inb4uall

@blackace said:

@inb4uall said:

But sony is teh doomed

Not until all their building and stocks are sold, and all the employees are laid off. They are getting closure. Let's hope they hang in there for the rest of this generation.

Yes because with sales like this they might not make it right? LOL!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@The_Last_Ride said:

@charizard1605 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

Is anyone surprised?

Personally i think stuff from Apple is way overpriced. Sure it's great, but just too expensive to what you can get with other operating systems or other companies

I completely disagree, but that's a discussion for some other place.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#34  Edited By misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

@Blabadon said:

WHY THE **** WOULD YOU SHARE THIS WITH COWS NOW THIS FORUM WILL BE MORE FUCKED

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

Well damn.. I was waiting for a pricedrop, but that may take a very long time with it selling so well..

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

@lbjkurono23 said:

Of course not, what do you think they're making playstation 4s out of?

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

Dayum.... imagine the sales with lower price and a decent library later on. :O

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

Not sure why you ignored every iphone after the first.. Pretty sure every iphone after probably the 3gs sold faster than this.

iPhone 5s/5c Sales Top Nine Million in 3 Days

lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 lbjkurono23
Member since 2007 • 12544 Posts

@misterpmedia said:

@lbjkurono23 said:

Of course not, what do you think they're making playstation 4s out of?

They ought to build a new one to commemorate the beatdown.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Couth_ said:

Not sure why you ignored every iphone after the first.. Pretty sure every iphone after probably the 3gs sold faster than this.

Because they're refreshes of the same product line.

I was comparing product launches, really. Admittedly, later iPhones and Galaxy S phones probably sold at a higher rate, but they were each a refresh.

(also, your link combines 5S and 5C- two different variants).

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@tonitorsi said:

@SolidTy said:

Oh, come on.

Where is my 2005-2008 Ty and what have you done with him!?

Well, uh, I, er...

Indicud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Indicud
Member since 2013 • 745 Posts

@blackace said:

@inb4uall said:

But sony is teh doomed

Salty as ****

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts
@charizard1605 said:

@Couth_ said:

I was comparing product launches, really. Admittedly, later iPhones and Galaxy S phones probably sold at a higher rate, but they were each a refresh.

How the **** is PS4 not a refresh of the same product line of the 3 previous PlayStations

And obviously, at MINIMUM either the 5s or 5c sold over 4.5 million in only 3 days. You can deduce over the course of 5 months they sold faster than the ps4

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

Yeah comparing the first iphone to the fourth playstation ... makes sense.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#45 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@Floppy_Jim said:

As I mention in the OP, nope, but Kinect is a supplementary product (and therefore much easier to sell to an existing base) as opposed to a brand new product, so it is not comparable.

That accursed Floppy_Jim, always posting before reading the OP properly. The man is a damned reprobate and has to be stopped before he does it again.

But yes, this has been an interesting read.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Couth_ said:
@charizard1605 said:

@Couth_ said:

How the **** is PS4 not a refresh of the same product line of the 3 previous PlayStations

And obviously, at MINIMUM either the 5s or 5c sold over 4.5 million in only 3 days. You can deduce over the course of 5 months they sold faster than the ps4

The PS4 is a completely different product, different hardware, different software, different everything. The iPhone 5S runs the same hardware and software as iPhone 5. You are arguing that the PS3, the PS3 Slim, and the PS3 Super Slim were different products. Or that the Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, and Gameboy Color were different products. They weren't.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

@charizard1605: ummm wouldn't a PS "4" be considered a refresh of same line then too?

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12063 Posts

Did Sony buy Apple like Disney did with Nintendo?????

Yep still salty over that one.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#49 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Must be the greatest thing ever. Sales equal quality.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@ominous_titan said:

Keep playing them sales on the indiestation yo

I keep seeing stuff like this thrown around but..

1. Best selling console on the market.

2. Best console hardware on the market.

3. Easy to develop for.

4. Sony has excellent 3rd party relations.

---

Both the PS4 and X1 have shit for libraries right now. Makes sense, they haven't even seen their first year yet.

But if you have any doubts that the PS4 will have a very strong library (if not the best library of the bunch) then you'd best prepare dat ass.