PS4 - Incredible engineering

• 77 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

@miiiiv said:

Ps4 is a great game console, it's the most powerful game console this gen but performance wise it's nothing special compared to todays gaming PCs. Heck, a hi-end pc (dual GPUs) from 2010 outperforms the ps4. That has never happen before, that a game console is outperformed by a 3 year older pc. I think the ps4 will have an amazing game library in the future and that's all that counts, but I wouldn't use the word "incredible" about it's hardware.

great post.

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#52 blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

it's amazing that it makes Lems angry..

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#53  Edited By blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@BattlefieldFan3: It's irrelavant when things like this happen on the PS4 however.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps4-bug-corrupting-save-files/1100-6417240/

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Rage010101
Member since 2006 • 5470 Posts

That's why corrupt files are breaking/bricking ps4's lately. FAIL!

Avatar image for indigenous_euphoria
indigenous_euphoria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#55 indigenous_euphoria
Member since 2013 • 255 Posts

Yeah Ps4's incredible engineering of off the shelf PC parts......so amazing lol

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#56 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

ZOMG! 3 more Centimeters of plastic....

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#57 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

@Crypt_mx said:

@Chozofication said:

It's not that the ps4 is incredibly engineered, just that the Xbone is incredibly badly engineered...

The gamecube was incredibly engineered.

Contrary to popular belief, the X1 is not badly engineered. Whether or not you personally like the console or the way it looks is one thing, but any person who understands engineering understands that the X1 is designed with efficiency in mind.

The X1's cooling design is actually the best way to cool something. The X1 draws in are from both sides and the back, the air is then pushed directly up through the large desktop-like fan that ventilates through the top of the console. They have great airflow coming into a strong fan that is pointed up, and since hot air rises that's ideal. This is what makes the X1 quieter and cooler than the PS4.

That's not to knock the PS4's engineering though, as they did do a very good job considering their small form factor.

At the end of the day, the X1 was meant to be an always online, always running console. They didn't want a RROD all over again and so they chose the simplest and most effective method.

Yeah the console appears to be a lot better designed this time around. My Xbox One is turned on pretty much all the time I am home, yet it doesn't seem to heat up nearly as much as my 360 did on touch. Quite unbelievably, the console has only frozen once of twice since I got it, something that was a regular occurrence with the 360, at least a few times per week.

One thing that has surprised me is how much value people put on the look of the console, because I put ZERO value to that aspect. I don't care how it looks, functionality is the top priority, and the X1 performs very well in that regard. I don't know about the PS4, but double or three pongs on the power cord is not something I could care less about in a console.

HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 HavocV3
Member since 2009 • 8068 Posts

Thank you, AMD.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

Lems trying to downplay the superior engineering of the PS4 while they wait for games to play on their oversized VCR.

Avatar image for BattlefieldFan3
BattlefieldFan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 BattlefieldFan3
Member since 2012 • 361 Posts

@HavocV3 said:

Thank you, AMD.

So why is the Xbone architecture such a mess?

WiiMan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#62 WiiMan21
Member since 2007 • 8191 Posts

Pretty amazing, I am happy I picked up a PS4 before an Xbox One.

I'm excited to buy an Xbone too though.

Crypt_mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#63 Crypt_mx
Member since 2007 • 4739 Posts

@Martin_G_N said:

@Crypt_mx: There is one problem with that airflow design though. If the machine is in a TV bench, wich most people will, the heat going out the top won't be ideal. The best and safest way is blowing the heat out the sides or back, since it's more likely people will put things on top of the console or having it in a small TV bench with no overhead.

See I guess that's where opinion comes in to play.

I believe you could put an xbox in a tv bench and it would do just fine, its not like it needs loads of clearance over it to ventilate. Most TV setups have more than enough room. I put all of my games on top of my xbox and occasionally a controller, only half of the top is a vent.

I am almost certain than apart from a few very rare scenarios, the X1 would still be quieter and cooler than the PS4 in any environment....looks like I should get a temp monitor and set this up with my consoles lol!

Crypt_mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#64 Crypt_mx
Member since 2007 • 4739 Posts

@clr84651 said:

@PannicAtack said:

Too bad there are barely any worthwhile games for it.

Same goes for the X1.

As an owner of both, I will say that neither console had a great launch line up. But out of the two, if you are being honest, you can't help but give the edge to Microsoft.

There are literally no heavy hitters but I'm talking about pure fun value, picking up a game and seeing how much you can possibly enjoy it.

Dead Rising 3 is fun. Period. End of discussion I don't really care what Sony fan wants to argue it. It is one of the best games to just mess around in.

Killer Instinct is fun. It is one of the few fighting games I like enough to play, and it's easy for people to pick up. I always have friends over and every single time its KI (winner moves on)

Forza 5 is a solid racing game. I'm not even a fan of racing games so im not a good judge, but Forza feels great. The X1 rumble in the controller really brings driving to life, and the slick controls at 60fps is no joke. (I've only played it when my friend brought it over though)

What does the PS4 have right now? Knack and Killzone....and Resogun. I've titled knack as the worst launch exclusive, and Killzone is nothing more than an average shooter.

Whats more fun to do with friends:

Watch a "Knack" beat up enemies

or

Watch a friend craft a dildo launcher and begin impaling zombies

Watch a friend shoot guys

or

Beat each other up in an easy to pick up fighting game

Sorry I go off when Sony fans think xbox having average exclusives excuses their console from having poor ones.

Evo_nine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#65 Evo_nine
Member since 2012 • 2224 Posts

Sign em up to NASA asap!!!

no no.....give em a nobel prize!!!

no no....make em prez of the USA!!

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

@I_can_haz said:

@Suppaman100 said:

Best GIF I've ever seen posted on SW. Congrats to you sir!

well.. i feel like i just watched a 2 hour long movie with this gif. it never ends.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#67  Edited By delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

@BattlefieldFan3 said:

@ConanTheStoner said:

I wish I could constantly get excited over trivial nonsense. In a weird way, I envy you for that.

You think this is trivial?

SONY engineers had a power limit of 250 watt and they still ended up with a much more powerful machine than Microsoft's VCR box. How much power does the Xbone use? 500 watts?

'The PS4 consumes more power than the Xbox One in every mode except Connected Standby, where the Xbox One chews threw 18W compared to Sony’s 8.8W.'

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/173127-ps4-xbox-one-power-consumption-analysis-points-to-sony-advantage-and-future-efficiency-gains

Thread backfire,lol

BattlefieldFan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By BattlefieldFan3

@delta3074 said:

@BattlefieldFan3 said:

@ConanTheStoner said:

I wish I could constantly get excited over trivial nonsense. In a weird way, I envy you for that.

SONY engineers had a power limit of 250 watt and they still ended up with a much more powerful machine than Microsoft's VCR box. How much power does the Xbone use? 500 watts?

'The PS4 consumes more power than the Xbox One in every mode except Connected Standby, where the Xbox One chews threw 18W compared to Sony’s 8.8W.'

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/173127-ps4-xbox-one-power-consumption-analysis-points-to-sony-advantage-and-future-efficiency-gains

Thread backfire,lol

Since both consoles are expected to spend much of their time in this mode, the Xbox One ends up actually using more electricity than Sony’s system. In other words, the PS4′s higher performance and power consumption in gaming is more than offset.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL...

Like I said, poor Microsoft engineering.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@

@gago-gago said:

Sony makes nice hardware but software/OS wise they still have a long way to go.

PS4 bug corrupting save files.

That doesn't matter to BattlefieldFan3 - he actually doesn't even have a PS4.

messedupworld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By messedupworld
Member since 2013 • 101 Posts

@Heil68 said:

With the PS4 being the most powerful video game console to have ever been created in the history of video games, it is indeed a marvel of engineering, form and function.

Gotta collect that paycheck eh

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

@BattlefieldFan3 said:

@delta3074 said:

@BattlefieldFan3 said:

@ConanTheStoner said:

Thread backfire,lol

Since both consoles are expected to spend much of their time in this mode, the Xbox One ends up actually using more electricity than Sony’s system. In other words, the PS4′s higher performance and power consumption in gaming is more than offset.

Because you are an electronics hardware engineer so you should know right?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

@messedupworld said:

@Heil68 said:

With the PS4 being the most powerful video game console to have ever been created in the history of video games, it is indeed a marvel of engineering, form and function.

Gotta collect that paycheck eh

Nope, I paid SONY for the privilege of playing this beast of a gaming machine.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

@Crypt_mx said:

@clr84651 said:

@PannicAtack said:

Too bad there are barely any worthwhile games for it.

Same goes for the X1.

As an owner of both, I will say that neither console had a great launch line up. But out of the two, if you are being honest, you can't help but give the edge to Microsoft.

There are literally no heavy hitters but I'm talking about pure fun value, picking up a game and seeing how much you can possibly enjoy it.

Dead Rising 3 is fun. Period. End of discussion I don't really care what Sony fan wants to argue it. It is one of the best games to just mess around in.

Killer Instinct is fun. It is one of the few fighting games I like enough to play, and it's easy for people to pick up. I always have friends over and every single time its KI (winner moves on)

Forza 5 is a solid racing game. I'm not even a fan of racing games so im not a good judge, but Forza feels great. The X1 rumble in the controller really brings driving to life, and the slick controls at 60fps is no joke. (I've only played it when my friend brought it over though)

What does the PS4 have right now? Knack and Killzone....and Resogun. I've titled knack as the worst launch exclusive, and Killzone is nothing more than an average shooter.

Whats more fun to do with friends:

Watch a "Knack" beat up enemies

or

Watch a friend craft a dildo launcher and begin impaling zombies

Watch a friend shoot guys

or

Beat each other up in an easy to pick up fighting game

Sorry I go off when Sony fans think xbox having average exclusives excuses their console from having poor ones.

I hate racing games. Gran Tourismo is boring & racers aren't interesting to me at all. Blur I played with some friends, because they begged me to. Online shooters get boring doing the same thing over & over Kill, die, respwan, repeat. I hate fighting & Sports games I got tired of. I like how PSN gives many free games; Contrast, Resogun etc. I still play my PS3 also. I just finished Beyond 2 Souls & loved the story. I look forward to Dark Souls 2 next coming in March. Thief is my next game for my PS4 come late February. With PS3 & PS4 there's no need for anything else. Come summer PS Now will allow me to play games I want to play that I missed on PS2 & PS3 or ones I want to replay in 720P HD.

I owned the first Xbox & the 360. I lost interest in Xbox when PS3 came out.

BattlefieldFan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 BattlefieldFan3

@delta3074 said:

@BattlefieldFan3 said:

@delta3074 said:

@BattlefieldFan3 said:

@ConanTheStoner said:

Thread backfire,lol

Because you are an electronics hardware engineer so you should know right?

Not an engineer, but smart enough to know Microsoft royally screwed up the design of their console.

Stay mad.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#76 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@StormyJoe said:

@

@gago-gago said:

LMAO!!! Neither does Tormentos and all they do all day on SW is kiss Sony's @$$ and bash the competition. Sony needs to pay these guys. They think they know everything about both consoles, but own none of them. That's why i just ignore their posts usually. Nothing but garbage coming out of their yaps. lol!!

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@blackace said:

@StormyJoe said:

@

@gago-gago said:

LMAO!!! Neither does Tormentos and all they do all day on SW is kiss Sony's @$$ and bash the competition. Sony needs to pay these guys. They think they know everything about both consoles, but own none of them. That's why i just ignore their posts usually. Nothing but garbage coming out of their yaps. lol!!

My SW life is a lot more pleasant since I have refused to acknowledge anything Tormentos says! LOL!!!

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@blackace said:

@StormyJoe said:

@

@gago-gago said:

Say so the guy who pretend to be a manticore while it wear xbox one under wear all day long..

You don't need something to talk about it,there several know lemmings here who never owned a damn PS3 didn't stop them from flaming it all the time.

Funny enough i don't own a PS4 because the games now are not where i want them to be,but it could be worse the xbox one has even fewer games and lower rated ones to,while been $100 more and 40% weaker...

Now the knew moniker is you don't own something you can't talk about it,even that some here don't practice what they preach.

@StormyJoe said:

My SW life is a lot more pleasant since I have refused to acknowledge anything Tormentos says! LOL!!!

Hahahahaa....

But but launch sales don't matter the xbox one can win the market back...lol

@delta3074 said:

Thread backfire,lol

Also while is off,the xbox one consume 1.3 watts the PS4 0.5 watts,off the xbox one consume almost 3 times what the PS4 does.

Also while gaming the xbox one runs hotter,how could that been while using less watts and having no internal PSU while been on a much bigger case with a bigger fan.

That really show how well made the PS4 was,that uses more watts than the xbox one on a more confined case with an internal PSU which produce more heat,yet it runs cooler while gaming.

Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Wickerman777
Member since 2013 • 2164 Posts

I really could care less if a console's outlet is two prongs or 3. Power source being internal/external isn't a big deal either. What is important is the performance of the machine and MS really screwed up there.