Polygon Podcast. Importance of 1080p

• 85 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 shawn30
Member since 2006 • 4409 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVx-REsMEsQ

There opinions are similar to mine, and I know everyone has a different one. But for me resolution just isn't that huge a deal going forward. The fact sheets specs wise for the One and PS4 are well known, and the facts that multiplat games have and will likely continue to run better on PS4. But not everyone cares so much or thinks the difference is so great. Again, its my opinion only, but there's more than one opinion on the subject.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5882 Posts

Another thread

Sticky mods.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

Consolites, always settling for second best.

lglz1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By lglz1337
Member since 2013 • 4959 Posts

lol polygon

i find it really funny that lemmings dont care about resolution anymore last gen they screamed it from the

rooftops

now that the xbone is fucked they dont see the difference just stfu and dealwithit ps4 stomps the Xbone

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50558 Posts

Lems seemed to care immensely about resolution and fps last gen. What changed.

And before anyone says, cows too

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

" multiplat games have and will likely continue to run better on PS4."

I own both a PS4 and Xbone and I'm glad I have the PS4 to play the superior multi plats.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#7 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58965 Posts

Practically every single console title made hasn't used it. It's not important. End of story.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8  Edited By Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

Didn't watch but lemme guess, they try to say it isn't a big deal? Because Goddamn, I remember 1080p @ 60fps being talked about back at E3 2005. Perhaps they should raise their standards.

neo418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 neo418
Member since 2003 • 586 Posts

@shawn30 said:

There opinions are similar to mine, and I know everyone has a different one. But for me resolution just isn't that huge a deal going forward. The fact sheets specs wise for the One and PS4 are well known, and the facts that multiplat games have and will likely continue to run better on PS4. But not everyone cares so much or thinks the difference is so great. Again, its my opinion only, but there's more than one opinion on the subject.

Wow you went to the trouble of finding some minority opinion that's similar to yours. Can I say butthurt?

lglz1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lglz1337
Member since 2013 • 4959 Posts

@neo418: yes you can

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 shawn30

@neo418 said:

@shawn30 said:

Wow you went to the trouble of finding some minority opinion that's similar to yours. Can I say butthurt?

Its an opinion just like yours or mine. Didnt have to go searching, as on Polygon website. How can you be butthurt about a opinion? Are you nine, lol

neo418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 neo418

@shawn30 said:

@neo418 said:

@shawn30 said:

Its an opinion just like yours or mine. Didnt have to go searching, as on Polygon website. How can you be butthurt about a opinion? Are you nine, lol

You are butthurt about you opinion as you were under the impression that MS didn't f you in the ass before 2014. Afterwards your only recourse was to switch to the ps4 or stick it out with xbone. You decided to stick with xbone which of recent news has been shown as a detriment when 99% of all games are better on the other system. You consistently have to explain why your purchase is better than others or just as good, when others can be just like, yeah I bought the cheaper, more powerful system.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 shawn30

@neo418 said:

@shawn30 said:

@neo418 said:

@shawn30 said:

You are butthurt about you opinion as you were under the impression that MS didn't f you in the ass before 2014. Afterwards your only recourse was to switch to the ps4 or stick it out with xbone. You decided to stick with xbone which of recent news has been shown as a detriment when 99% of all games are better on the other system. You consistently have to explain why your purchase is better than others or just as good, when others can be just like, yeah I bought the cheaper, more powerful system.

Lol, there are 3.5/4 million One gamers out there. I bought the console that had the games I want to play the most. Its really that simple. Again, are you nine?

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@Chutebox said:

Probably same reason cows didn't care about NPD sales numbers last gen but now it's all they care about.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 shawn30

@kingtito said:

@Chutebox said:

Probably same reason cows didn't care about NPD sales numbers last gen but now it's all they care about.

Yeah, such is the way of Systems Wars... Oh well :)

neo418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 neo418

@shawn30 said:

@neo418 said:

@shawn30 said:

@neo418 said:

@shawn30 said:

Lol, there are 3.5/4 million One gamers out there. I bought the console that had the games I want to play the most. Its really that simple. Again, are you nine?

Well seeing as my account is from 2003, I think it's impossible to be nine. Could you do the math for me? Like really I need your intelligence right now to help me solve this. I mean what's 2014 to 2003? Yeah your right that's definitely nine. You bought the console that you were going to buy no matter what, no matter how shitty. Stop explaining to others why it was a good purchase, i.e. stop making threads. No one gives a shit.

StriateEnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By StriateEnd
Member since 2013 • 521 Posts

I agree with OP. One of the few people on this forum who talks sense.

But **** Polygon.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@StriateEnd said:

But **** Polygon.

Same. QFT. Unimpressed since they started, and I have yet to enjoy any of their writers.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 shawn30

@neo418 said:

@shawn30 said:

@neo418 said:

@shawn30 said:

@neo418 said:

@shawn30 said:

Well seeing as my account is from 2003, I think it's impossible to be nine. Could you do the math for me? Like really I need your intelligence right now to help me solve this. I mean what's 2014 to 2003? Yeah your right that's definitely nine. You bought the console that you were going to buy no matter what, no matter how shitty. Stop explaining to others why it was a good purchase, i.e. stop making threads. No one gives a shit.

Lol then why in the **** did you even come into this thread? Again, I get that you're not too bright. Sorry for not checking your profile to see your start date as you dont matter enough to me to do so and hadn't said anything I felt was worth remembering. If you dont like the topic and have nothing to add why are you even here? You're criticisizing someone on a gaming forum about discussing there reasons for buying a gaming console? Again, not to bright. And you may not be 9 but you are talking like it.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

As a now producer of a web series I can tell you by editing for hours on end most weeknights I do not give anymore shits about 1080 or 720. They almost look the same to me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4
deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4
Member since 2010 • 1750 Posts

I have an 1080p HDTV and I want everything to display in 1080p.

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

We need a resolution sticky. I couldnt care less about resolution but its annoying to see the board cluttered with these topics.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@Floppy_Jim said:

Didn't watch but lemme guess, they try to say it isn't a big deal? Because Goddamn, I remember 1080p @ 60fps being talked about back at E3 2005. Perhaps they should raise their standards.

No one should ever trust Arthur "The secret Sauce,"

GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

I dont care about resolution either, especially on a console. It maters to me on the PC, but on a console I really dont care. The only reason its even a big deal atm is because the PS4 is making the xbone look so bad. A console that cost $100 less, yet runs all the games better.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

@GTSaiyanjin2 said:

I dont care about resolution either, especially on a console. It maters to me on the PC, but on a console I really dont care. The only reason its even a big deal atm is because the PS4 is making the xbone look so bad. A console that cost $100 less, yet runs all the games better.

Well the biggest thing about resolution on PC is just by switching from 1080 to 720 you get a killer boost in framerate.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

@narutosup said:

I have an 1080p HDTV and I want everything to display in 1080p.

Its 2014. EVERYTHING should be at a minimal resolution of 1080p or higher and that is not asking much at all.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@Floppy_Jim said:

No one should ever trust Arthur "The secret Sauce,"

Haha, this is all kinds of brilliant. I never realized his name was really pronounced "Geese"...

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

I'm not in the market for a console to play multiplats on, so the resolution differences aren't really important to me either.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

Doesn't MS own Polygon?

Of course they're going to say resolution is not important!!!!!!!!!!

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By shawn30

@Boddicker said:

Doesn't MS own Polygon?

Of course they're going to say resolution is not important!!!!!!!!!!

Tinfoil hat time :)

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@shawn30 said:

@kingtito said:

@Chutebox said:

what ways? Lems going back and forth and then grasping at straws with nonsensical spins?

Get that ass well lubricated because what's coming is not gonna be easy. ;)

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

Last Gen Lems could notice the huge difference between 1280X720 and 1280X700. This gen 720p is almost the same as 900p and 1080p is slightly noticeable over 900p.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By kingtito

@Gue1 said:

@shawn30 said:

@kingtito said:

@Chutebox said:

what ways? Lems going back and forth and then grasping at straws with nonsensical spins?

Get that ass well lubricated ready because what's coming is not gonna be easy. ;)

Cows going back and forth and then grasping at straws with nonsensical spins?

Yeah pretty much says it all. See I can do it as well. Cows are far worse as spinning everything. Just look at p2p online back in gen 7 to p2p in gen 8.

The word of the day cows is.......hypocrite. Can you use it in a sentence?

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 kingtito

@glez13 said:

Last Gen Lems could notice the huge difference between 1280X720 and 1280X700. This gen 720p is almost the same as 900p and 1080p is slightly noticeable over 900p.

No dude, lems were talking about details, textures and fps, they weren't just arguing about resolution. Cows seem are the ones bragging about resoltion when last gen they couldn't care less.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

@Animal-Mother said:

As a now producer of a web series I can tell you by editing for hours on end most weeknights I do not give anymore shits about 1080 or 720. They almost look the same to me.

Jesus only knows!

tyloss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By tyloss
Member since 2012 • 846 Posts

@kingtito: always playing victim.

OT: the fact the lems have to constantly defend their console purchase over and over again should tell you that it's sub par in comparison to the leading competitor.

From Price to Sales to Games to Graphics all of these aspects from a factual and arbitrary critical standpoint are in favor of the PS4. Funny that these are the same things that Xbox fans used as means of 'ownage' before.Seems the Cows are just giving it right back.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

Experience and performance that isn't broken on top of story and gameplay. Cows would hype a 1080p game if it got 4/10...............wait a second, they did.

tyloss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By tyloss

@FoxbatAlpha: and lems hyped Ryse. Except it was sub 1080p. Quit crying.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 kingtito

@tyloss said:

@kingtito: always playing victim.

OT: the fact the lems have to constantly defend their console purchase over and over again should tell you that it's sub par in comparison to the leading competitor.

From Price to Sales to Games to Graphics all of these aspects from a factual and arbitrary critical standpoint are in favor of the PS4. Funny that these are the same things that Xbox fans used as means of 'ownage' before.Seems the Cows are just giving it right back.

Victim of what? I own all consoles in every gen so what am I a victim of?

The fact that cows have to CONSTANTLY defend their console purchase over and over again should tell you that it's sub par. You don't see lems making thread after thread all day everyday promoting the XOne. All I see is cows constantly posting about the XOne all day everyday and if that doesn't spell insecure I don't know what does. Perhaps you should stop calling the kettle black.

Graphics and sales yes but games is not. Games are subjective and if you cared sooooo much about graphcis the PC is the way to go no doubt. Who cares about sales as long as lower sales don't lead to canceled games. The way both consoles are selling, I don't see that happening anytime soon.

You mean like lems did all last gen after what cows did in the 6th gen? This will be a never ending cycle so what exactly is your point?

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

Well, in general, it's good for Sony. More PS4 3rd party games sold = more royalty. If they continue to sell more units than MSFT, and the PS4 are a little better, then they'll get more revenue. I doubt the average consumer cares, though, honestly.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

@tyloss: I am we'll aware of Ryse. My point still stands. Ryse is much better than knack. Gameplay and graphics anyway.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

@Chutebox said:

lol, yeah lems were really talking up that halo 640 upscale that the 360 was doing.

are you guys in the same reality as me?

when did lems ever care about resolution?

traditionally in sw nobody gave a damn about it except hermits.

and we all laughed at them for caring about something so meaningless and using it as an ownage point.

tyloss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By tyloss

@kingtito: Cows don't have to defend thier purchase. Just look in the media, from the NY Times to a lot of Gaming sites they claim the Playstaion 4 as the superior console from media capabilities to games.

Posting news that PS4 games run in 1080p while some Xbox One games subsequently run in half the resolution is 'defending'.

What's defending is like the TC posting a thread (like this one) claiming resolution doesn't matter.

Sales are very important. This month alone the PS4 outsold the Xbox One, Wii U, and Xbox 360 combined in North America. That'll could potentially lead to developers putting exclusive content, games, etc. on the more popular Device. (Ex. IOS)

Lems are just as bad and in some instances worse vice versa for Cows.

tyloss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 tyloss

@kingtito:

I'd also love for you to list hypocrisy acts cows have committed over the years. I'm sure it wouldn't match the amount of 180's Lems have had themselves.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 kingtito

@tyloss said:

@kingtito: Cows don't have to defend thier purchase. Just look in the media, from the NY Times to a lot of Gaming sites they claim the Playstaion 4 as the superior console from media capabilities to games.

Posting news that PS4 games run in 1080p while some Xbox One games subsequently run in half the resolution is 'defending'.

What's defending is like the TC posting a thread (like this one) claiming resolution doesn't matter.

Sales are very important. This month alone the PS4 outsold the Xbox One, Wii U, and Xbox 360 combined in North America. That'll could potentially lead to developers putting exclusive content, games, etc. on the more popular Device. (Ex. IOS)

Is that why they creat thread after thread bashing the XOne, it's games and it's features? Yeah cows have been defending their purchase since the PS3 days and that hasn't changed.

Yes that is defending. They're trying to say they made the right choice in consoles when no one even cares. Constantly trying to convince others the PS4 is the better console day in and day out. They only thing PS4 has over the XOne is power and IMO power isn't what consoles are about.

He's stating his opinion and rightfully so when all you see is cows posting about X game running is X resolution while console A doesn't.

Sales are important up to a certain point. If sales are so low that furture games are either canceled then it matters but if sales are enough that it doesn't happen then it's moot. So what if the PS4 outsold the XOne this last month? The XOne outsold the PS4 in Dec so what's your point again cow? No that won't lead to developers putting exclusive content since that didn't happen last gen and the 360 outsold the PS3 almost every month in NA.

No, cows are the worst hand down. I know you don't think so but frankly, you sound like a cow.

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 CrashNBurn281
Member since 2014 • 1574 Posts

I did not buy my PS4 because it does more games in 1080p without compromising. I bought it because it has the exclusives I want to play. Last gen my PS3 had a good deal of inferior multiplatform titles, and at the time I have could cared less. This time I have superior multiplatform titles, and once again I could care less.

Fanboys will change their arguments for a platform when hardware changes over the generation releases. PS2 days the PS fans stated that only the games mattered and the Xbox superior hardware did not matter. Xbox fans stated that the superior hardware and titles were the most important factor. Now its reversed. Its really a joke.

This is however system wars, and it has certain entertainment properties.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 kingtito

@tyloss said:

@kingtito:

I'd also love for you to list hypocrisy acts cows have committed over the years. I'm sure it wouldn't match the amount of 180's Lems have had themselves.

Seriously? Owe I see you're either trolling or you just got here. 1 example cows claimed all last gen p2p online was a rip off and they would never pay since it should always be free. Gen 8 comes around and p2p is suddenly ok because it's Sony and I get so many "free" games for a fee. Sounds like hypocrisy.

Look cow, you can stop trying to defend cows since you seem to be one. No one will take you seriously except for maybe you fellow cows.

iloveatlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48  Edited By iloveatlus
Member since 2009 • 599 Posts

@kingtito said:

@tyloss said:

Is that why they creat thread after thread bashing the XOne, it's games and it's features? Yeah cows have been defending their purchase since the PS3 days and that hasn't changed.

Yes that is defending. They're trying to say they made the right choice in consoles when no one even cares. Constantly trying to convince others the PS4 is the better console day in and day out. They only thing PS4 has over the XOne is power and IMO power isn't what consoles are about.

He's stating his opinion and rightfully so when all you see is cows posting about X game running is X resolution while console A doesn't.

Sales are important up to a certain point. If sales are so low that furture games are either canceled then it matters but if sales are enough that it doesn't happen then it's moot. So what if the PS4 outsold the XOne this last month? The XOne outsold the PS4 in Dec so what's your point again cow? No that won't lead to developers putting exclusive content since that didn't happen last gen and the 360 outsold the PS3 almost every month in NA.

No, cows are the worst hand down. I know you don't think so but frankly, you sound like a cow.

All I see are cows bashing Xbone. Never seen them defend the Playstation 4. I see plenty of lemmings run around every internet forum copying and pasting

"It's not about resolution"

"500 dollar isn't even a lot"

"Just wait for cloud"

"it's not about FPS"

"Developer said Xbone is harder to developed for"

"Give developers some time"

"Wait for the drivers upgrade"

"If I wanted to play multiplatform games, I would of kept my Xbox 360, I only play exclusives"

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50558 Posts

@Riverwolf007 said:

@Chutebox said:

lol, yeah lems were really talking up that halo 640 upscale that the 360 was doing.

are you guys in the same reality as me?

when did lems ever care about resolution?

traditionally in sw nobody gave a damn about it except hermits.

and we all laughed at them for caring about something so meaningless and using it as an ownage point.

No bud. Lems were the ones to always boast about the minimal differences between multiplat games.

Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

using polygon is not going to help your argument, only hurt it.