JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12577 Posts

@iambatman7986: Where can you buy an 8" 1080p touchscreen at for $20? Cheapest I've seen on Amazon was like $75 and that was 600p resolution.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#102  Edited By iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4579 Posts

I saw it on Alibaba a few weeks ago when a few of us on Reddit were pricingthe cost of this to make testing to predict the price. Not sure the quality of the actual screen. My point was that Sony, even if they pay $50 for the screen, which is doubtful since they have agreements in place to buy bulk, is making a good profit at $200. The estimated cost to make a dualsense is $20-$25 from what I could find. We're still well under $100 cost. This thing literally streams games and nothing else. No Bluetooth so a proprietary headset is needed unless you want to use a wired headset which I don't.

I really wanted one of these, but at $200, I don't see the value. Just me. If you are good with paying the same amount as a switch lite to just stream games, that is your right.

I tend to buy everything ps puts out when it comes to hardware, but this one and their $200 earbuds seem a bit overpriced to me.

I don't expect Sony to sell at cost, I was just hoping for $150 and I'm sure it'll go on sale for close to that within a year. I guess they are going to get the most they can out of early adopters.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By JoshRMeyer

@iambatman7986: Yeah I'm definitely waiting for a price drop too. I wouldn't doubt they'll be sales, maybe even down to $149 eventually. I think paying $50 for the controller and $100 for the screen seems right. The Bluetooth situation sucks, but I still have some wired/Bluetooth headsets so I'll just use a wire I guess.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#104 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69877 Posts

@lebanese_boy said:

In an age where we have the Nintendo Switch, Steam Deck and RoG Ally... this comes off to me as a dumb product.

You are correct but I look forward to see who on here is going to buy this dumb product.😂

getyeryayasout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#105 getyeryayasout
Member since 2005 • 14004 Posts

This thing is embarrassing. Pass.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#106 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18042 Posts

@Pedro said:

You are correct but I look forward to see who on here is going to buy this dumb product.😂

What makes it even dumber is you can replicate the unit's core function for free with PS remote play.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#107 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39270 Posts

This piece of shit hardware doesn't even have bluetooth connectivity😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅😅

Loading Video...
pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#108 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9408 Posts

@joshrmeyer said:

Kinda surprised at some of the responses here. Same people that support portable gaming devices aka Switch/Steam deck, seem to hate on this. As long as you have an internet connection, it's basically a portable PS5. Isn't that what portable gaming is all about? I have friends tell me they game more on Switch lately because of their kids using the TV or toilet gaming, or in bed etc. This is for those people. The same people bashing this because of the price, have no problem buying elite and edge controllers, which makes no sense to me. As someone else just mentioned, football season is here, so I may reconsider not getting one of these just to have something other than my phone to mess around with during commercials.

As far as I can tell you need to be on the same wifi. You can't just take it with you to another location with internet. It's not an internet device from the looks of it. You can't stream PS Plus titles or anything like that.

You can stream your PS5 to somewhere else in the house, and that's it. This is functionality you can get with steam by downloading a free app. Sony could also allow this behavior on a phone with app. Just seems like they could have done more with it.

If I were looking for a device to use on the couch while my SO uses the TV, I would 100% get a Steam Deck for twice the price. You get soooo many more options, including streaming games from your PC, aaaand you get true portable gaming. Sony's offer here is weak.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 JoshRMeyer

@pyro1245: You don't need to be on the same wifi. You can be on the other side of the world. Same with the current app available for download to a smart phone. I've tried this out when I first bought my PS5. I believe this feature has been around since the PS3 days but not sure(I know you could stream to Vita but not sure if that was just on the same WiFi or if it was anywhere).

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 JoshRMeyer

Suddenly those same people that have been preaching "oPtiOnS" are against this optional accessory. This in no way affects any current or future gaming of anyone who doesn't want one.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 pyro1245

@joshrmeyer: Ah well I read some bad info if that is the case.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 JoshRMeyer

@pyro1245:

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 pyro1245

@joshrmeyer: Yeah I just read that. Seems there is some conflicting info floating around, but Sony recently clarified.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45289 Posts
Loading Video...

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#115 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 13040 Posts

Not sure why the media and the internet is shredding this thing to pieces. I think it's a great value.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 KvallyX

Also, why is Sony calling this a PSP again? Are they a glutton for punishment?

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#117 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

Does it work better than using the app on my phone?

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#118 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13668 Posts

@Pedro said:
@lebanese_boy said:

In an age where we have the Nintendo Switch, Steam Deck and RoG Ally... this comes off to me as a dumb product.

It would be fascinating to hear the pitch and see the market research for this.

It just sounds so stupid.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#119 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4579 Posts

@kvallyx: I don't like that they are excluding bluetooth and instead pushing their own Sony Link technology. I have a $200 set of BT earbuds that cannot be used with this device. I also don't want to wear a wired headset, so I am stuck having to pay $150-$200 for their new Pulse headsets. Their old Pulse headset which launched with the PS5 will not work with this either. Just kinda anti-consumer. Plus I feel $50 for the controller and $100 for the tablet screen is a more reasonable price.

I really wanted one of these because it fits my playstyle at home, but not with the features it is currently offering at the price they are offering it at. I can't help but thinking that this costs the same as a Switch Lite and if I get the headset with it, it costs more than the Steamdeck.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 KvallyX

@iambatman7986 said:

@kvallyx: I don't like that they are excluding bluetooth and instead pushing their own Sony Link technology. I have a $200 set of BT earbuds that cannot be used with this device. I also don't want to wear a wired headset, so I am stuck having to pay $150-$200 for their new Pulse headsets. Their old Pulse headset which launched with the PS5 will not work with this either. Just kinda anti-consumer. Plus I feel $50 for the controller and $100 for the tablet screen is a more reasonable price.

I really wanted one of these because it fits my playstyle at home, but not with the features it is currently offering at the price they are offering it at. I can't help but thinking that this costs the same as a Switch Lite and if I get the headset with it, it costs more than the Steamdeck.

Lack of BT does suck. I don’t like that Xbox doesn’t use BT with their own controllers to the console and uses proprietar wireless.

Is BT dated and the speeds or security too slow?

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50597 Posts

@joshrmeyer said:

@pyro1245:

So, can PSP turn on/off your PS5 from anywhere long as there is a internet connection?

@kvallyx said:

Not sure why the media and the internet is shredding this thing to pieces. I think it's a great value.

Not sure if this is your persona or you're being legit, but ya. I'm with you. Price is more than I think it should be though.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 Pedro  Online

@HalcyonScarlet said:

It would be fascinating to hear the pitch and see the market research for this.

It just sounds so stupid.

"Our fans are dumb and they would buy anything we sell them."😂

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 JoshRMeyer

@Chutebox: Yeah but your PS5 has to be in rest mode. If you have it in shut down mode you're out of luck.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Chutebox

@joshrmeyer: people shut it down completely?

Cool, thanks for info.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 KvallyX

@Chutebox said:
@joshrmeyer said:

@pyro1245:

So, can PSP turn on/off your PS5 from anywhere long as there is a internet connection?

@kvallyx said:

Not sure if this is your persona or you're being legit, but ya. I'm with you. Price is more than I think it should be though.

I do like both consoles. And yes, I like the new PSP. I think the price is right.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 Chutebox

@kvallyx: I know you like both consoles, just didn't know if you were takingyour usual subtle jabs towards the PSP. Cheers!

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 SolidGame_basic

It’s up for preorder now on the PlayStation Direct website. I put in a preorder because they don’t charge until they ship. So I have a couple months to really think about this 😄

Qui-Gon-Milk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 Qui-Gon-Milk
Member since 2022 • 182 Posts

@Pedro said:
@lebanese_boy said:

@SolidGame_basic just pre-ordered it 😂

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By KvallyX

@Chutebox said:

@kvallyx: I know you like both consoles, just didn't know if you were takingyour usual subtle jabs towards the PSP. Cheers!

I still have my PSP-3000! But I haven't used it in ages.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Pedro  Online

@qui-gon-milk said:
@Pedro said:
@lebanese_boy said:

@SolidGame_basic just pre-ordered it 😂

Not surprised. He is known for being on the dimmer side.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 SolidGame_basic
Loading Video...

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Chutebox

Knowing that it can wake up the PS5, kinda excited for this.

But then again, worried about drift on this too....and it's more expensive than a frigging dualsense.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8437 Posts

Question: do you HAVE to have a PS5 in order for Playstation Portal to work, or can you use it if you simply have an account and downloaded games?

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 SolidGame_basic

@jaydan said:

Question: do you HAVE to have a PS5 in order for Playstation Portal to work, or can you use it if you simply have an account and downloaded games?

Yes, you are essentially tethered to it. Can’t do anything other than stream the game.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 Chutebox

@jaydan: It's like the large Wii U controller,but can be used anywhere with internet. Still need the console.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By jaydan
@SolidGame_basic said:
@jaydan said:

Yes, you are essentially tethered to it. Can’t do anything other than stream the game.

@Chutebox said:

@jaydan: It's like the large Wii U controller,but can be used anywhere with internet. Still need the console.

Well that sucks. I suspect there's going to be a lot of angry consumers this holiday season who don't own a PS5 but bought the Portal expecting it to be a dedicated handheld device.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 SolidGame_basic

@jaydan: now that more and more companies are making handhelds, it really makes me wonder if Sony will finally try a proper handheld again

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 hardwenzen

@jaydan said:

Bro, don't even ask questions about this abomination. Even i, an extreme cow, is hating on this thing. This worthless piece of plastic was created with 2006 Sony's mindset.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 jaydan

@SolidGame_basic said:

@jaydan: now that more and more companies are making handhelds, it really makes me wonder if Sony will finally try a proper handheld again

Playstation Portal is just going to be another lousy excuse from Sony why they don't want to make portable devices.

Much like the Playstation Go, it's going to be another failure due to Sony's bone headed understanding of how to do handhelds.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#140 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26105 Posts

It's baffling how this requires a PS5. A tablet or phone can do this without one. It's also twice as expensive as it should be.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By jaydan
@hardwenzen said:
@jaydan said:

Bro, don't even ask questions about this abomination. Even i, an extreme cow, is hating on this thing. This worthless piece of plastic was created with 2006 Sony's mindset.

Bro why can't Sony do a proper handheld? They did it before with the PSP, then they actively sabotaged it with the PSP Go. It would have been a huge win if all the Playstation Portal only needed a Playstation account. It's like they want it to fail before it even releases.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 hardwenzen

@jaydan said:
@hardwenzen said:
@jaydan said:

Bro why can't Sony do a proper handheld? They did it before with the PSP, then they actively sabotaged it with the PSP Go. It would have been a huge win if all the Playstation Portal only needed a Playstation account. It's like they want it to fail before it even releases.

Its a tax write off, bro.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 SolidGame_basic

@jaydan said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Playstation Portal is just going to be another lousy excuse from Sony why they don't want to make portable devices.

Much like the Playstation Go, it's going to be another failure due to Sony's bone headed understanding of how to do handhelds.

It’s like they don’t want to put resources into an actual handheld, so instead, play games from your PS5 lol. I think there are people out there who will want this solely for the fact that they can play without a TV.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By jaydan

@hardwenzen: Since handhelds are like trying to understand atomic physics to Sony (which they don't understand), it's like their goals have shifted to making the worst handheld they can possibly make, assuring angry families this holiday season and decimating their trust in the handheld gaming market.

It's quite genius, if you ask me. If Sony can't compete in the handheld space, so then let's make handhelds look as bad as possible to destroy the market. Only way to destroy Nintendo and Steam Deck by taking them down with the burning ship.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#145 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

Sony can shove this wannabe nintendo switch straight up where the sun don't shine

Avatar image for deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
Member since 2021 • 1870 Posts

Your phone can already do everything and more than this device can...

Avatar image for deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
Member since 2021 • 1870 Posts
@gifford38 said:
@eni232 said:

Like I posted in the article, just save 200$ and fund a new TV. There are some nice cheap ones on Black Friday each year.

your going to take a tv and big ass ps5 on vacation? this can work any were as long as you have a ps5 turned on.

You also need to be connected to extremely fast wifi. So unless you're in a house or a Starbucks, this device will be an extremely fancy paperweight

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 JoshRMeyer

I don't get some of these latest complaints. If you don't own a PS5, this isn't for you. Just like PSVR 2. The pros of it is you get PS5 graphics on a handheld for $200. On Switch, you get handheld graphics on the go and on the TV, for $300(or $200 for the lite). Thousands of games are playable day 1 also(all PS4 and PS5 games). Yes, you can do this with your phone, but the touch controls suck, so you'll be buying an attachment or carrying around a dual sense. There's plenty of negatives like no Bluetooth, but also some positives that seem to be getting ignored. I personally loved the wiiU tablet. It was a great option to use that or a regular controller. I just wish this incorporated gameplay on it like wiiU did, but looks like this just duplicates your screen(this is what the phone app does). The bandwidth requirements aren't that high. I've played over cell towers fine. A 5G phone or even a LTE should have the bandwidth. But I'm sure ideally wifi would be better. Question for anyone here with a Switch or other handheld: What percentage of the time do you play it outside your house vs inside? Seems like all my gaming is pretty much done inside my house. If I'm out, I'm usually doing something other than gaming.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 JoshRMeyer

@theam0g: "extremely fast wifi"

Don't most people have gigabit routers by now? The min requirement is 5Mbps. You call that extremely fast?

UItravioIence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 UItravioIence  Online
Member since 2016 • 3043 Posts

@theam0g: you don't need an extremely fast wifi. Why you lying?