SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45283 Posts

Was anyone really expecting this to be $100-$150? The Dual Sense alone sells for $70.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18042 Posts

In an age where we have the Nintendo Switch, Steam Deck and RoG Ally... this comes off to me as a dumb product.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2558 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Was anyone really expecting this to be $100-$150? The Dual Sense alone sells for $70.

Some folks were expecting $300…

$150 makes a lot of sense. This thing does nothing on its own, and the screen is 🫤

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#54  Edited By Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7222 Posts

This is the dumbest thing ever brought to gaming. Why in the hell would I pay $200 to do WAY less than what my phone already does. And it’s got worst battery than DualSense which is already shitty. Wtf I’m gonna game portable on an hour battery life?

ShadyAcshuns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 ShadyAcshuns
Member since 2023 • 275 Posts

Sony trippin'.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18800 Posts

@ghostofgolden: "The price is too high and the screen is too shitty…"

Should've been $100

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Last_Lap  Online
Member since 2023 • 6321 Posts

@gifford38: You take gaming devices on holidays?

We must do things differently over here, because when I go on holidays I also holiday from gaming, otherwise why go on a holiday if you're gonna sit in a hotel and play games, you can do that at home for free lol.

This thing is a waste of money.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#58 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61511 Posts

Ouch. Whoever greenlit this needs to be axed from the job.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By SolidGame_basic

I think there are people out there that will want this. The ability to keep playing while someone else is using the TV will be the big selling point.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56237 Posts

I mean, it's a decent price for sure but this is underwhelming to say the least. So I see no reason to pick this up, personally when I have a Switch just to play exclusives. For those who will, hope you enjoy it.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12577 Posts

Kinda surprised at some of the responses here. Same people that support portable gaming devices aka Switch/Steam deck, seem to hate on this. As long as you have an internet connection, it's basically a portable PS5. Isn't that what portable gaming is all about? I have friends tell me they game more on Switch lately because of their kids using the TV or toilet gaming, or in bed etc. This is for those people. The same people bashing this because of the price, have no problem buying elite and edge controllers, which makes no sense to me. As someone else just mentioned, football season is here, so I may reconsider not getting one of these just to have something other than my phone to mess around with during commercials.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16570 Posts

Price is lower than expected, but I don't see the purpose of it. You can buy a razer kishi and attach it to your phone, download xcloud and play whatever you like. Heck I think ps remote also works on phones...not sure about ps5 though.

Avatar image for deactivated-65dd04f21decf
deactivated-65dd04f21decf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 deactivated-65dd04f21decf
Member since 2022 • 3769 Posts

I mean, if you've got kids, wife, yeah, this is useful. I've got both, so I might pick this up.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 JoshRMeyer

@last_lap: Most holidays(vacations here) I take, I have a ton of downtime. I don't generally play video games either, but I can see some people liking that option. Especially if you have kids and are stuck at a hotel or your in-laws house.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#65 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12063 Posts

@sealionact said:

Absolutely useless product. Only people with more money than sense will buy one.

A portable games player that doesn’t work outside your house.

Genius.

So half the install base then?

ENI232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 ENI232
Member since 2020 • 1007 Posts

I see, to me it's a pointless gadget. Even if I'm on vacation I will not be playing video games. I would be too busy with everything else going on.

ShadyAcshuns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By ShadyAcshuns
Member since 2023 • 275 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

I think there are people out there that will want this. The ability to keep playing while someone else is using the TV will be the big selling point.

Stay Gold, Ponyboy.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2524 Posts

Bit of a head-scratcher. Presumably this is a public beta product for an upcoming cloud streaming device? I wonder if that's a feature they'll eventually enable on this thing too.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#69 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7222 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1: Yep, thats why we making fun of this trash.

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1885 Posts

This thing is going to flop, and I'll be here for it. The market already told Sony no to stuff like this. The general gaming market just wants their regular consoles. We don't want the extra stuff. Leave that to Nintendo.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#72 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15948 Posts

Its a glorified wii u tablet.

Though we not supposed to discuss these, if it can play PS1-PS2 Nintendo games then I can see some use out of this product.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#73 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15948 Posts
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

Price is lower than expected, but I don't see the purpose of it. You can buy a razer kishi and attach it to your phone, download xcloud and play whatever you like. Heck I think ps remote also works on phones...not sure about ps5 though.

The official Sony 3rd party licensed Backbone One PS edition works better.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#74 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

LCD??? what rubbish is this. Is it 2007? Just definitely have an OLED.

and preferably support 120hz.

upscaled 1080p at 120hz.

OLED:

or a 2000nit mini-LED / FALD LCD at least.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#75 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

@robertos: 1080p/60fps isn't thaaat bad though.

720p/30fps is the Nintendo way.

UItravioIence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 UItravioIence
Member since 2016 • 3041 Posts

Not really sure what Sony considers a sales success or a sales flop but there is definitely a place for this product. If they market this right (adults who still want to play their games while the kids watch cartoons on tv. Or a device to play at the airport between flights. Or play it in bed so your girl stops being mad that you are always in the game room and not right next to her lol..Hell, market it towards kids, showing a kid playing fortnite at the dinner table. ABSOLUTELY DO NOT market it as a traditional handheld.

Some of y'all in here saying why buy this when you can use your phone already. I use my phone already to remote play with PS5. No matter how cool it is, it's not ideal. Even using a dual sense doesn't make phone gaming any better. Razer or Backbone are decent for phone gaming but in my experience the joysticks do not have a ton of movement and the buttons are too close and too small. For a hundred bucks more you get PlayStation Portal with 2 full feature and full sized dual sense controllers and a huge 1080p 60hz display. It's insane to me that some people are recommending just using a Razer or Backbone. Y'all drop upper hundreds or thousands on phones, now also tell people to buy a $100 add on......BUT a $200 streaming device that literally does everything better than your phone gaming wise is too much?

If you own a PS5 and value gaming anywhere not directly sitting in front of your TV then this product is a easy buy. I hope it sells well and Microsoft enters the space with their own Portal like product.

Sony should just hire me for marketing the Portal. I think I shilled pretty damn good just now.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By JoshRMeyer

@uitravioience: Yeah you make some good points. I also like that the controls will feel the same as a regular dual sense. I hate playing Switch on the Pro controller and then trying to use the awful joycons on the go.

UItravioIence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 UItravioIence

@joshrmeyer: I have a hard time believing ANYONE actually uses the joycons. Ergonomics of the switch are horrible lol. Tried exactly one time to play with the joycons when I first got my switch,ran right out and got a pro controller and also the Hori Split Pad. Shiiiit, maybe that's why Nintendo made the joycons, to get extra money out of people cause even Nintendo knows the joycons are horrible.

One more thing about the PlayStation Portal,and it's really the only negative I can think of. No Bluetooth for wireless earbuds?? Cmon Sony. Really? Surely the tablet already has Bluetooth built in..I already bought a pair of Samsung earbuds expensive AF. I'm definitely not buying your Sony brand expensive earbuds. Sucks ,but it is what it is. I'll just use wired headphones.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By JoshRMeyer

@uitravioience: Yeah I don't understand the Bluetooth thing. Sony makes plenty of Bluetooth headsets. Makes no sense. I wouldn't doubt if later on it miraculously has Bluetooth enabled.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6851 Posts

@joshrmeyer said:

@eni232: PS5 just has to be in rest mode. I don't ever turn my PS5 completely off, so this would work for me.

You sure it'll work in Rest mode? I read/understand it as the PS5 has to be powered on.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 JoshRMeyer

@shellcase86: That technically is on. Yes, if it's the same as remote play, it works in rest mode.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8176 Posts

considering the fact that you can already do just about everything the PlayStation Portal does with the smartphone you already own, $200 seems like alot for this fundamentally redundant hardware..

more power to those that are interested in a dedicated device is suppose.. also, the fact that it doesn't stream actual cloud games seems like a big miss..

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Last_Lap  Online

@SolidGame_basic said:

Yeah not like people have multiple tvs in their houses. How many tvs do you have solid?

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Last_Lap  Online
@nod_calypse said:

I mean, if you've got kids, wife, yeah, this is useful. I've got both, so I might pick this up.

But you're a hermit what would you need one for...oh wait I thought you were someone else, don't mind me lol.

Avatar image for deactivated-65dd04f21decf
deactivated-65dd04f21decf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 deactivated-65dd04f21decf
Member since 2022 • 3769 Posts

@last_lap said:
@nod_calypse said:

But you're a hermit what would you need one for...oh wait I thought you were someone else, don't mind me lol.

What? For my kid, dude. When the TV's in use.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Last_Lap  Online
@joshrmeyer said:

@last_lap: Most holidays(vacations here) I take, I have a ton of downtime. I don't generally play video games either, but I can see some people liking that option. Especially if you have kids and are stuck at a hotel or your in-laws house.

No doubt some people will see some value in it and then there are guys golden who likes to waste money on new tech. But for the vast majority of PS5 owners they most likely won't touch it.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13668 Posts

F**K OFFFFF $200! Sony does release some shit sometimes.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 HalcyonScarlet

@uitravioience said:

Not really sure what Sony considers a sales success or a sales flop but there is definitely a place for this product. If they market this right (adults who still want to play their games while the kids watch cartoons on tv. Or a device to play at the airport between flights. Or play it in bed so your girl stops being mad that you are always in the game room and not right next to her lol..Hell, market it towards kids, showing a kid playing fortnite at the dinner table. ABSOLUTELY DO NOT market it as a traditional handheld.

Some of y'all in here saying why buy this when you can use your phone already. I use my phone already to remote play with PS5. No matter how cool it is, it's not ideal. Even using a dual sense doesn't make phone gaming any better. Razer or Backbone are decent for phone gaming but in my experience the joysticks do not have a ton of movement and the buttons are too close and too small. For a hundred bucks more you get PlayStation Portal with 2 full feature and full sized dual sense controllers and a huge 1080p 60hz display. It's insane to me that some people are recommending just using a Razer or Backbone. Y'all drop upper hundreds or thousands on phones, now also tell people to buy a $100 add on......BUT a $200 streaming device that literally does everything better than your phone gaming wise is too much?

If you own a PS5 and value gaming anywhere not directly sitting in front of your TV then this product is a easy buy. I hope it sells well and Microsoft enters the space with their own Portal like product.

Sony should just hire me for marketing the Portal. I think I shilled pretty damn good just now.

"showing a kid playing fortnite at the dinner table." just what any parent wants. :-S

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6851 Posts

@joshrmeyer: Awesome, thanks for sharing. Learned something new.

UItravioIence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 UItravioIence

@HalcyonScarlet: out of my whole post you focus on one tiny example? Weird but ok.. what exactly is wrong with a kid playing games at the table. My niece and nephew come over to our place and draw or play games on their tablets while sitting at the dinner table. You are aware you can do other things at the table besides eat?

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 JoshRMeyer

I really wish this could be used as a second screen. WiiU was way ahead of its time. I have a feeling PS6 will have a touchscreen instead of trackpad. But that's a long ways away. Maybe Sony will open this up to devs to use as a second screen. I don't see why it'd be that hard to do. I'd buy it for sure if I could use it as a map or inventory or instead of split screen, it'd be the controller screen and the TV.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 HalcyonScarlet

@uitravioience said:

@HalcyonScarlet: out of my whole post you focus on one tiny example? Weird but ok.. what exactly is wrong with a kid playing games at the table. My niece and nephew come over to our place and draw or play games on their tablets while sitting at the dinner table. You are aware you can do other things at the table besides eat?

"at the dinner table" sounds like while people are eating. :-S

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#93 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4579 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

I was hoping it was going to be $150. Adding a simple 8" lcd screen does not add $130 to the price of a controller. This thing costs the same as a switch lite and that plays games natively. I see the point in the product for a certain group of people, myself included, but the price point does not make sense for what the product offers in my opinion. It is $50-$70 too much. At $150, I guarantee the sales would be much higher. Then again, they are charging $200 for the compatible earbuds too, so Sony gonna Sony.

I can't believe the Sony earbuds I bought won't work with their own device. Crazy.

UItravioIence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 UItravioIence

@HalcyonScarlet: I guess you could take it that way. It's just called a dinner table no matter what time of day it is. It gets used constantly at our house, there's always some kind of activity going on at it. If the kids want to play the Portal while eating I don't mind but they will catch a quick lesson in taking care of your stuff, cause I ain't cleaning those spaghetti sauce fingerprints off the controllers lol.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#95 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12331 Posts
@Antwan3K said:

considering the fact that you can already do just about everything the PlayStation Portal does with the smartphone you already own, $200 seems like alot for this fundamentally redundant hardware..

more power to those that are interested in a dedicated device is suppose.. also, the fact that it doesn't stream actual cloud games seems like a big miss..

The premium cost comes from the fact that you're getting a native DualSense experience on a screen that's larger than your smartphone. That's the value proposition; you can get a proper DualSense controller experience as opposed to a $100 smartphone attachment.

And yeah, not being able to actually use PSN+ cloud streaming is a bummer.

adrian1480

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#96 adrian1480
Member since 2003 • 15033 Posts

gross no ty

Streaming games still sucks. Latency even in the best scenarios makes it unenjoyable for any games that require quick responses and reactions.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 SolidGame_basic

@iambatman7986 said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

I was hoping it was going to be $150. Adding a simple 8" lcd screen does not add $130 to the price of a controller. This thing costs the same as a switch lite and that plays games natively. I see the point in the product for a certain group of people, myself included, but the price point does not make sense for what the product offers in my opinion. It is $50-$70 too much. At $150, I guarantee the sales would be much higher. Then again, they are charging $200 for the compatible earbuds too, so Sony gonna Sony.

I can't believe the Sony earbuds I bought won't work with their own device. Crazy.

So you think Sony should just sell the product at cost?

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#98 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4579 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: So you honestly think this costs $150 to produce? It's a dualsense which they are profitable on when they sell them for $50. A cheap mobile processor, and an 8" lcd screen. An 8" lcd screen can be brought alone for $20 as a consumer, so sony isn't paying near that. The mobile processor doesn't need to be powerful. This thing has no actual hardware in it and costs the same amount as a switch lite. Plus it doesn't have basic functionality like Bluetooth. I don't even own a wired headset. This isn't 1997. I have a $200 pair of earbuds that Sony decided I can't use on it.

I wanted one of these but no Bluetooth and the price has turned me off. I'll wait for a revision or a fire sale.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#99 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9580 Posts

What an absolute piece of junk.. not sure what they think tueor user base for this thing is going to be, it's going to flop harder than psvr2. Someone needs to slap SONY awake and stop people that are pushing trash like this.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2524 Posts

@WitIsWisdom: To be fair, it's not going to be stealing investment from their main console output - Sony's pretty good at compartmentalising their business. If anything, it's a fairly risk-free side hustle, which could generate more profit for the company.

Granted, it could be a beta test project for a cloud streaming device, so there's that to consider, I guess...

Personally I didn't think there would be much of a market at all - I'd have no interest for sure, but we've already got a few users in this thread who have a use case for this device, so god knows.