PCs putting consoles to shame again - 12GB RAM on new GPU

• 183 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SonySoldier-_-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 SonySoldier-_-
Member since 2012 • 1186 Posts

@godspellwh said:

GDDR6 is said to be revealed by next year so might as well wait and see it could be a lot cheaper and more efficient than a GPU with a lot of GDDR5 rams.

Yeah thats the thing with PC tech, it gets upgraded every several months so just when you buy the newest GPU, theres an even more powerful one right around the corner. So i guess when you're ready to upgrade, make sure its a huge jump from your previous set up to last you a long time.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

Completely unnecessary. What games will be able to utilize it? Next-next-gen?

But well, I'm sure some people will be able to afford it.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

@seanmcloughlin said:

@maninflames-77 said:

Still can't run GTA V , lol

No biggie, I have my PS3 for that and if it does ever come to PC then I'll just double dip

Why do you people reward greedy basta*ds like Rockstar like that? I just wish no one buy their games on PC.

On topic, bububu........PS4 has teh OPTIMIZATIONZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.........

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#55 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Completely overkill and probably even completely over priced.

timbers_WSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#56 timbers_WSU
Member since 2012 • 6076 Posts

New consoles get released and Hermits still try to fit in pretending people care. Sorry Hermit, people are excited about the PS4 and XBONE. We cant be bothered with the "Hey look at us!" act right now.

GioVela2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 GioVela2010
Member since 2008 • 5566 Posts

Money would be better spent on proper audio system

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 zeeshanhaider

@timbers_WSU said:

New consoles get released and Hermits still try to fit in pretending people care. Sorry Hermit, people are excited about the PS4 and XBONE. We cant be bothered with the "Hey look at us!" act right now.

lol 720p.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#59  Edited By GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

12GB is virtually useless, unless you plan on using some crazy 8096x8096 texture pack with Crysis 3/Skyrim.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#60  Edited By clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

How much, that is the question.

lunar1122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By lunar1122
Member since 2012 • 784 Posts

im a hermit and i dont give a fuk about 4k gaming till that price heavily comes down . ( wont happen for many years)

You might as well flush your money down the toilet.. $3500 just for the 4k monitor, then multiple sli gpu setups will be needed .. All for what, 4k battlefield?

NO Thanks, i like my money

moderate spending for me

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#62 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
@Gaming-Planet said:

The 12GB framebuffer seems like a gimmick.

When will you ever need 12GB? Mods? Nope. 4k? Nope. Next gen? Nope.

Triple 4K monitors of course. You know someone is going to do it.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#63 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

@bobbetybob said:
@Gaming-Planet said:

The 12GB framebuffer seems like a gimmick.

When will you ever need 12GB? Mods? Nope. 4k? Nope. Next gen? Nope.

Triple 4K monitors of course. You know someone is going to do it.

Then I envy that person for having loads of cash to spend.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

@Zophar87 said:

Complete and total overkill.

Which is exactly what people said about video cards with 512 megs back in the day.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
@the_bi99man said:

@Zophar87 said:

Which is exactly what people said about video cards with 512 megs back in the day.

And maybe those people were right at the time. Sure 12GB will be useful EVENTUALLY but the rest of the card will be outdated as shit by the time it's needed (outside of the crazy people running stupid amounts of monitors, when I say needed I mean in a normal everyday situation)

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#66  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59240 Posts

Enjoy burning your money on a product that will never get fully utilized and mostly be used to play console ports.

edidili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By edidili
Member since 2004 • 3449 Posts

@Zophar87 said:

True but this is tech that eventually will pass over to budget cards. Gotta thank those rich people that buy these things now.

loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By loosingENDS
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

@seanmcloughlin said:

Nvidia are launching a GTC 780Ti model but the best part is it comes in 3 variations: 3GB,6GB and a whopping 12GB model. Putting PS4s 8GB to shame

The new NVIDIA’s flagship is much more than GeForce GTX 780 replacement. Despite the fact that reference card will only arrive with 3GB memory, it does not mean that there won’t be the cards with more memory. The rumor has it that NVIDIA GTX 780 Ti will be available in 3 versions: 3GB, 6GB and even 12GB. Which version are you going to choose will only depend on how deep your pockets are.

These kinds of cards while likely to be expensive as hell will bring PC gamers closer to legit 4K gaming

SOURCE

2.000$ priced i guess ? In a 4000$ PC

The cost of all consoles ever released plus the next ones

And since developers know that noone will have that card, will never take advantage of it

Oh and that card will be obsolete in 6 months time, will be totally useless and not even start games after 2015

PC gaming hardware is such a good investment LOL

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

@TorqueHappens08 said:

@kipsta77 said:

I've heard about this, I wonder how Nvidia will price it. Just proves how fast technology evolves and how much we have available to us. Don't forget we still have the GTX 800 Series (Maxwell) coming early next year!

I couldn't imagine any type of game using 12gb of vram unless your applying OGSSAA/SGSSAA in 4K...

i'm calling it now, 2000-3$ for 12GB

Nah, more like 800ish. Maybe 1k to match the Titans old price point.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

@timbers_WSU said:

System Wars not Console Wars, don't like it?, leave.

Avatar image for TorqueHappens08
TorqueHappens08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#71 TorqueHappens08
Member since 2008 • 1363 Posts

@Snugenz said:

@TorqueHappens08 said:

@kipsta77 said:

I've heard about this, I wonder how Nvidia will price it. Just proves how fast technology evolves and how much we have available to us. Don't forget we still have the GTX 800 Series (Maxwell) coming early next year!

I couldn't imagine any type of game using 12gb of vram unless your applying OGSSAA/SGSSAA in 4K...

i'm calling it now, 2000-3$ for 12GB

Nah, more like 800ish. Maybe 1k to match the Titans old price point.

The way Nvidia were raising prices, i thought that was going to be a trend for them..

NameIess_One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 NameIess_One
Member since 2013 • 1077 Posts

It's a rumor... I really have no idea why would any card need 12 GB of vRAM, so I call BS, unless we hear an official word.

Wouldn't get any use out of it even if you were playing at 4K... unless you were running some crazy multi-monitor setup or whatever.

Multipass35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#75 Multipass35
Member since 2013 • 312 Posts

@seanmcloughlin said:

Nvidia are launching a GTC 780Ti model but the best part is it comes in 3 variations: 3GB,6GB and a whopping 12GB model. Putting PS4s 8GB to shame

The new NVIDIA’s flagship is much more than GeForce GTX 780 replacement. Despite the fact that reference card will only arrive with 3GB memory, it does not mean that there won’t be the cards with more memory. The rumor has it that NVIDIA GTX 780 Ti will be available in 3 versions: 3GB, 6GB and even 12GB. Which version are you going to choose will only depend on how deep your pockets are.

These kinds of cards while likely to be expensive as hell will bring PC gamers closer to legit 4K gaming

SOURCE

You do realize the PS4 doesnt have 8GB of GPU right? Thats just for the system. This thing has 12GB of GPU...... big difference. This card a lone is 6 times more powerful then the PS4/Xbox One.

XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 XxR3m1xInHDn3D
Member since 2013 • 2365 Posts

@maninflames-77 said:

Still can't run GTA V , lol

Implying that PC gamers don't own consoles. PC gamers are the most passionate gamers and do you honestly think that a £150 console is expensive to them?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178860 Posts

Still don't get why PC gamers want to compare to consoles. I can only assume it's for the same reason people bash consoles they don't own. Insecurity.

Pick the machine that has the games you want and have fun. Personally PC gaming has always been uninteresting to me. But I don't tell you you're wrong for doing it.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 zeeshanhaider

@loosingENDS said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

SOURCE

2.000$ priced i guess ? In a 4000$ PC

The cost of all consoles ever released plus the next ones

And since developers know that noone will have that card, will never take advantage of it

Oh and that card will be obsolete in 6 months time, will be totally useless and not even start games after 2015

PC gaming hardware is such a good investment LOL

Stay jelly that you are stucked with 720p/900p till 2025.:D By the way how's you SLI 690 in X1 working for you?

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@Silenthps said:

Actually 6GB puts PS4's 8GB to shame since devs only have access to 5-5.5GB of it

12GB is overkill

Crysis 3 on PC barely reach 3 GB,so not only it will be way long for that card to get use,but also games on PC are never done with the highest end GPU in mind because legacy will kill other lesser GPU..

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

Still don't get why PC gamers want to compare to consoles. I can only assume it's for the same reason people bash consoles they don't own. Insecurity.

Pick the machine that has the games you want and have fun. Personally PC gaming has always been uninteresting to me. But I don't tell you you're wrong for doing it.

no matter how hard you try, pc is part of system wars so might as well stop posting the same in every thread, no one cares :(

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 zeeshanhaider

@tormentos said:

@Silenthps said:

Actually 6GB puts PS4's 8GB to shame since devs only have access to 5-5.5GB of it

12GB is overkill

Crysis 3 on PC barely reach 3 GB,so not only it will be way long for that card to get use,but also games on PC are never done with the highest end GPU in mind because legacy will kill other lesser GPU..

Crysis reaches 3GB of GPU's RAM not the total memory. CRysis 3 easily uses upwards of 6GB System RAM + GPU RAM, while PS4 has only 5 GB in total for both System + Graphics.

TheTruthIsREAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By TheTruthIsREAL
Member since 2013 • 813 Posts

And they say cows were bad. This forums is known for pc fanboys. Truthfact

tonitorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#84 tonitorsi
Member since 2006 • 8692 Posts

Ive alway wanted to make the jump to PC gaming for the multiplats and have PlayStation consoles for the exclusives, this stuff Nvidia is coming out with its flat out amazing.

MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#85  Edited By MK-Professor
Member since 2009 • 4214 Posts

But the time a game will require a 12GB of Vram the GTX 780Ti will be just to week to run it at a playable frame rate.

I am sure some will go WOWOWOW 12GB Vram must be way faster than AMD R9 290X 4GB LOL

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

@Ginosaji said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

It's because consoles are redundant. They are poor man's gaming PCs stripped of all non-gaming functionality. Almost all of their games are released on the PC. The problem is that it's only almost all of their games, and not all of their games. Some games are arbitrarily kept exclusive to fabricate a selling point for their respective consoles. As a gamer I have to buy consoles for their exclusives, despite owning a PC that is more than capable of running those exclusives. Because they refuse to just release PC versions of those games, I have to waste an extra $600+ each generation buying additional wannabe PCs.

Forcing people to buy multiple redundant gaming platforms like this is anticonsumer. Imagine if some roads were owned by Ford and some by Honda. To drive on Ford's roads, you have to drive a Ford car. To drive on Honda's roads, you have to drive a Honda car. So now everyone needs to own at least two cars just to drive on all of the roads. I guarantee everyone would be up in arms about that. They would avoid Ford/Honda roads and drive on public roads as much as possible. Why is it not okay to hold the gaming industry to the same standards?

With the PC hardware vendors can compete with hardware vendors and software vendors can compete with software vendors on an open platform. Consumers can use any combination of hardware they want to run any combination of software they want, with very few exceptions. If people stopped supporting anticonsumer consoles, console exclusive software would be released on the PC, and gaming would actually be cheaper.

It's anti consumer to make a superior product to PC? That's priceless.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

12Gb!!! ? Wow :O

LordOfPoms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 LordOfPoms
Member since 2013 • 1138 Posts

I love PC gaming, but the amount of "LOOK WHAT I CAN DO. ARE YOU LOOKING? LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOK" is hilarious. If you wanna pay money for 12 GB of RAM on that GPU, go for it, but very few games are going to actually ever need it. I'm in the upgrade process for my PC and I just kinda laugh at cards like this...in three years it'll be cheaper and maybe then necessary. Touting it out now is a pretty obvious "LOOOK! WHY AREN'T YOU LOOKING AT ME???????"

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Krelian-co

@Ginosaji said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

It's because consoles are redundant. They are poor man's gaming PCs stripped of all non-gaming functionality. Almost all of their games are released on the PC. The problem is that it's only almost all of their games, and not all of their games. Some games are arbitrarily kept exclusive to fabricate a selling point for their respective consoles. As a gamer I have to buy consoles for their exclusives, despite owning a PC that is more than capable of running those exclusives. Because they refuse to just release PC versions of those games, I have to waste an extra $600+ each generation buying additional wannabe PCs.

Forcing people to buy multiple redundant gaming platforms like this is anticonsumer. Imagine if some roads were owned by Ford and some by Honda. To drive on Ford's roads, you have to drive a Ford car. To drive on Honda's roads, you have to drive a Honda car. So now everyone needs to own at least two cars just to drive on all of the roads. I guarantee everyone would be up in arms about that. They would avoid Ford/Honda roads and drive on public roads as much as possible. Why is it not okay to hold the gaming industry to the same standards?

With the PC hardware vendors can compete with hardware vendors and software vendors can compete with software vendors on an open platform. Consumers can use any combination of hardware they want to run any combination of software they want, with very few exceptions. If people stopped supporting anticonsumer consoles, console exclusive software would be released on the PC, and gaming would actually be cheaper.

you have no idea what anti consumer is. They make a product, you can buy it or not, no one is forcing you.

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

@Ginosaji said:

@crimsonman1245 said:

Consoles are an objectively inferior product. It's anticonsumer to make me buy them through underhanded business tactics. l2read

What do you mean they "Make you?" It's hillarious that you think first party games are the only reason consoles have survived for so long. Most people who own a console also own a PC, but they either cant play games on it or choose not to.

Consoles are affordable and convenient, PCs are not.

Mr-Kutaragi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Mr-Kutaragi
Member since 2013 • 2466 Posts

@Ginosaji said:

@crimsonman1245 said:

What do you mean they "Make you?" It's hillarious that you think first party games are the only reason consoles have survived for so long. Most people who own a console also own a PC, but they either cant play games on it or choose not to.

Consoles are affordable and convenient, PCs are not.

PC is more affordable than PC + console(s). Especially since you have to pay additional online fees for consoles. Sure consoles are easier to use, but they would be just as easy to use without holding games hostage from other platforms. They do so to sell consoles, allowing them to nickel and dime consumers with things like online fees, and to extract royalties from third-party publishers.

Convenience is not their primary selling point, and their affordability is an illusion.

Hermit should stop spreading lie that pc is more affording. Even over lifetime. Console can rent, borrow, resale, lend. Many console gamer buy console and pay online fee and use rental service and play every big game, or resale game they are done with. GTA5 can be found with huge discount shortly after release, same with other game. PC gaming is worth because of customizable and mods. This comes with higher price tag and time investment when building compare to console. Some mod are better than full game however so this makes worth effort.

Holding hostage does not make sense to me. Do you mean like Rockstar treating pc badly with RDR and GTA5? This is business decision. Most blockbuster title earn more profit of console. PC is good to keep indie scene healthy and for developer to grow, but eventually they want big buck and seek to develop blockbuster title on console just like Crytek doing now.

HaRmLeSS_RaGe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 HaRmLeSS_RaGe
Member since 2012 • 1330 Posts

A 6gb one of these + water block shall be mine. Fvck AMD and their 290X :)

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

Will be great for playing all those graphically intensive indie games such as Minecraft and Amnesia...

timbers_WSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#97 timbers_WSU
Member since 2012 • 6076 Posts

@Snugenz said:

@timbers_WSU said:

System Wars not Console Wars, don't like it?, leave.

LOL....She is so cute when she is mad.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Krelian-co

@Ginosaji said:

@crimsonman1245 said:

Consoles are an objectively inferior product. It's anticonsumer to make me buy them through underhanded business tactics. l2read

no one is forcing you do nothing, your stupidity does, learn what anti consumer is and the difference with capitalism.

rogelio22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By rogelio22
Member since 2006 • 2477 Posts

Dang I was thinking of getting second 770 with the free games but now I think ill wait for the maxwell cards since tech is evolving so fast