Official Project Natal Sticky - KEEP IT HERE

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

You know the drill everybody...keep it here or face teh lockage!

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

You know the drill everybody...keep it her or face teh lockage!

Teufelhuhn

thank you teuf did you get my message?

MachoBuzzzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MachoBuzzzy
Member since 2009 • 4638 Posts
2nd post,wait this isn't an OT thread:| Looks sweet the project i mean
-Pred-Alien-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 -Pred-Alien-
Member since 2009 • 1733 Posts
Id say this looks more interesting than Sony's who are going after what Nintendo are doing
Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Animal-Mother
[QUOTE="MachoBuzzzy"]2nd post,wait this isn't an OT thread:| Looks sweet the project i mean

No I asked him because I sent him a message to make a sticky. But My thought on the project. It can work if they implent it well and launch it with some cool games. Honestly Im excited because i'd love to see RPGS and sports games implement this
Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Animal-Mother
Id say this looks more interesting than Sony's who are going after what Nintendo are doing-Pred-Alien-
but sony has that whole 3D replacement thing goin on
flazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 flazzle
Member since 2007 • 6507 Posts

Id say this looks more interesting than Sony's who are going after what Nintendo are doing-Pred-Alien-

It does look very interesting. But from the history of postings in GS, Lemmings cannot STAND the 'flailing of arms' of motion controls, and have been calling them a gimmick from day one.

It can't be denied that Natal brings flailing to a whole new leveltimes 10.

I have to think MS will really have to focus on the casual to make this a success, which means Minigames, family games, and will most likely attract 'teh shovelware'.

Some publisher should blow everyone's mind with a really creepy horror game.

xsubtownerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 xsubtownerx
Member since 2007 • 10705 Posts
I don't care for this at all. And I find it sad that both Sony and MS feel the need to waste their resources on something like this just because of the success of the Wii. I just hope this doesn't start a trend that will carry over in the next gen of consoles for both Sony and MS..
Mr_Ditters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#9 Mr_Ditters
Member since 2008 • 1920 Posts

Natal appeared to be a money making scheme to me. I don't believe for a second that it will work well for gaming. Maybe if they did more actual demonstrations instead of their pre-arranged acted out videos, I would be convinced. When they had the girl jumping around like a freak that just proved to me that its just a gimick. It didnt look accurate at all. It just looked frustrating.

wayne_kar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 wayne_kar
Member since 2009 • 2090 Posts

Natal appeared to be a money making scheme to me. I don't believe for a second that it will work well for gaming. Maybe if they did more actual demonstrations instead of their pre-arranged acted out videos, I would be convinced. When they had the girl jumping around like a freak that just proved to me that its just a gimick. It didnt look accurate at all. It just looked frustrating.

Mr_Ditters
is their anything that exists in gaming that isnt a money making scheme.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

[QUOTE="Mr_Ditters"]

wayne_kar

is their anything that exists in gaming that isnt a money making scheme.

Ding! Give this man a gold star. Video games are a business. They exist primarily to generate revenue. Your happiness from the experience is a secondary effect.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 heretrix

[QUOTE="-Pred-Alien-"]Id say this looks more interesting than Sony's who are going after what Nintendo are doingflazzle

It does look very interesting. But from the history of postings in GS, Lemmings cannot STAND the 'flailing of arms' of motion controls, and have been calling them a gimmick from day one.

I have to think MS will really have to focus on the casual to make this a success, which means Minigames, family games, and will most likely attract 'teh shovelware'.

You focus too much to one aspect of it and ignore everything else. Not every game made for Natel will have you flailing around like an idiot. The demo of Milo clearly demostrates that.

MachoBuzzzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MachoBuzzzy
Member since 2009 • 4638 Posts
[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"][QUOTE="MachoBuzzzy"]2nd post,wait this isn't an OT thread:| Looks sweet the project i mean

No I asked him because I sent him a message to make a sticky. But My thought on the project. It can work if they implent it well and launch it with some cool games. Honestly Im excited because i'd love to see RPGS and sports games implement this

And you are telling me because? My post was a bad attempt at humor,thats it,i didn't mean you :P
flazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 flazzle

Mr_Ditters

I know it sounds like stating the obvious but it's only going to work well if the correct software is there to back it up. Personally, I feel Nintendo has the best understanding of that concept. Natal definitly has potential, but it's not the be-all-end-all with controllers which is what the demo hinted at with the beginning statement.

Plus, how well is the 360 audience going to adopt it? Nintendo was accused of 'abandoning their coreaudience' with the wii remote. Following that line of thinking, MS is did only only abandoned their core audience with natal, it put them in a kitten sack and threw them in the river.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Animal-Mother
[QUOTE="MachoBuzzzy"][QUOTE="Animal-Mother"][QUOTE="MachoBuzzzy"]2nd post,wait this isn't an OT thread:| Looks sweet the project i mean

And you are telling me because? My post was a bad attempt at humor,thats it,i didn't mean you :P

ohh, hahahah Im sorry, I feel so dumb
flazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 flazzle

[QUOTE="flazzle"]

[QUOTE="-Pred-Alien-"]Id say this looks more interesting than Sony's who are going after what Nintendo are doingheretrix

You focus too much to one aspect of it and ignore everything else. Not every game made for Natel will have you flailing around like an idiot. The demo of Milo clearly demostrates that.

Just using the Lemming logic that has been said countless times agains the Wii Remote.

But seriously, would you actually play a game like Milo? That seems so creepy! But if you put the element of Milo in an adventure like setting, that could be REALLY cool. I just wonder how feasible that could be. I wonder what the developer effort is behind such things as Milo.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Animal-Mother

[QUOTE="heretrix"]

[QUOTE="flazzle"]

flazzle

Just using the Lemming logic that has been said countless times agains the Wii Remote.

But seriously, would you actually play a game like Milo? That seems so creepy! But if you put the element of Milo in an adventure like setting, that could be REALLY cool. I just wonder how feasible that could be. I wonder what the developer effort is behind such things as Milo.

peter molyneux back to making the most extreme promises ever. If anything mylo is a digital furby
waynehead895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 waynehead895
Member since 2005 • 18660 Posts
I was very impressed with the tech behind it but I'm not sold on it from a gaming standpoint.
darkmagician06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 darkmagician06
Member since 2003 • 6060 Posts
best E3 announcement to me...very innovative unlike some people (cough sony cough) so much potential. im more excited about the voice recognition than the other aspects of natal. it could be used in a lot of games without seeming gimmicky which people hate here even though wii proves it sells.
subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 subrosian
Member since 2005 • 14232 Posts
peter molyneux back to making the most extreme promises ever. If anything mylo is a digital furbyAnimal-Mother
The secret to making Project Natal impressive is to keep Peter Molyneux from telling us what he's making. Just sew his mouth shut, have him make whatever he's going to make, and don't let him talk until three days after it comes out. - Also, Halo Natal - forget Master Chief, forget Spartan, forget ODST, you play as a Grunt, and your goal is just to survive. For the first time ever, unlock achievements for jumping behind your couch and quaking with fear. Pissed your pants? Achievement unlocked. Yelled out something insane while running for dear life? Achievement unlocked. Actually killed something? Wait, you're a grunt - achievement unlocked.
darkmagician06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 darkmagician06
Member since 2003 • 6060 Posts

[QUOTE="flazzle"]

[QUOTE="-Pred-Alien-"]Id say this looks more interesting than Sony's who are going after what Nintendo are doingheretrix

Just think if that milo stuff was used in say GTA4 cut scenes for example. a new level of interactivity
Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Animal-Mother
[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"] peter molyneux back to making the most extreme promises ever. If anything mylo is a digital furbysubrosian
The secret to making Project Natal impressive is to keep Peter Molyneux from telling us what he's making. Just sew his mouth shut, have him make whatever he's going to make, and don't let him talk until three days after it comes out. - Also, Halo Natal - forget Master Chief, forget Spartan, forget ODST, you play as a Grunt, and your goal is just to survive. For the first time ever, unlock achievements for jumping behind your couch and quaking with fear. Pissed your pants? Achievement unlocked. Yelled out something insane while running for dear life? Achievement unlocked. Actually killed something? Wait, you're a grunt - achievement unlocked.

I think eople are getting either really confused or I just have a missing link. Why is everyone calling The Mylo project, Project natal. When in life thats actually the motion sensor camera majigger thats project Natal and Mylo is something completely different
mithrixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#23 mithrixx
Member since 2008 • 1071 Posts

I don't have big hopes for that. It looks very much fun on stage, but I wonder how it looks like in real life. With MS's frequent incompetence, I wonder if movement detection will work as well as they showed us.

subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 subrosian
Member since 2005 • 14232 Posts
[QUOTE="subrosian"][QUOTE="Animal-Mother"] peter molyneux back to making the most extreme promises ever. If anything mylo is a digital furbyAnimal-Mother

I think eople are getting either really confused or I just have a missing link. Why is everyone calling The Mylo project, Project natal. When in life thats actually the motion sensor camera majigger thats project Natal and Mylo is something completely different

I'm well aware that Milo and Natal are not the same project - my point was simply that Peter Molyneux is bound to set expectations for his project, and any tool he works on / with - far too high. Let Molyneux make a game utilizing the Natal, and he will hype it (and therefore Natal ) beyond the level it can deliver at. He has a bad habit of ruining perfectly good games simply by making us think those perfectly good games will also make us grow wicked awesome facial hair, win a Porsche, and learn the true meaning of life.
flazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 flazzle

I don't have big hopes for that. It looks very much fun on stage, but I wonder how it looks like in real life. With MS's frequent incompetence, I wonder if movement detection will work as well as they showed us.

mithrixx

I never used an EyeToy on PS2 or PS3. Do you need adequate light? Not to be a gloomy guss, but I really enjoy playing games at nightin a dim lit room.

And there are so many questions yet to be answered: How much does it cost? Will a publisher really invest a good game into such a limited user base?

Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts
The project looks ambitious, and it seems like it has some seriously powerful technology behind it. Will it change gaming for ever? I doubt it. The traditional controller is too strongly forged in our minds/society/culture for it to disappear anytime soon. Nonetheless, Natal has a lot of potential for many cool things. Call me interested.
Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Animal-Mother
[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"][QUOTE="subrosian"] The secret to making Project Natal impressive is to keep Peter Molyneux from telling us what he's making. Just sew his mouth shut, have him make whatever he's going to make, and don't let him talk until three days after it comes out. - Also, Halo Natal - forget Master Chief, forget Spartan, forget ODST, you play as a Grunt, and your goal is just to survive. For the first time ever, unlock achievements for jumping behind your couch and quaking with fear. Pissed your pants? Achievement unlocked. Yelled out something insane while running for dear life? Achievement unlocked. Actually killed something? Wait, you're a grunt - achievement unlocked. subrosian

I'm well aware that Milo and Natal are not the same project - my point was simply that Peter Molyneux is bound to set expectations for his project, and any tool he works on / with - far too high. Let Molyneux make a game utilizing the Natal, and he will hype it (and therefore Natal ) beyond the level it can deliver at. He has a bad habit of ruining perfectly good games simply by making us think those perfectly good games will also make us grow wicked awesome facial hair, win a Porsche, and learn the true meaning of life.

So true so true. You know I actually got a wench and 152 million gold by playing fable 2
Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Animal-Mother
[QUOTE="IronBass"]The project looks ambitious, and it seems like it has some seriously powerful technology behind it. Will it change gaming for ever? I doubt it. The traditional controller is too strongly forged in our minds/society/culture for it to disappear anytime soon. Nonetheless, Natal has a lot of potential for many cool things. Call me interested.

fully agree, I feel like if they implemented the right games on release, IE good sports games, maybe an FPS and get devs to make it compatible with old games not thatwould be awesome
spinecaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 spinecaton
Member since 2003 • 8986 Posts

The impressions from Kotaku have been very postive. I think it will be great for certain games but horrible for others. I will wait for support software to actually pass judgement. I will probably get it just for UI though.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17429 Posts

[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"] peter molyneux back to making the most extreme promises ever. If anything mylo is a digital furbysubrosian

I dont think we have to worry about those antics from molyneux anymore, MS has lawyers and PR reps follow him on EVERY interview he does now :lol: Im dead serious :P

romans828_2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 romans828_2002
Member since 2003 • 1108 Posts
A lot of good points from people. This is cool stuff, no doubt. I also see this as more of a party device. When I'm playing games at home, I want to sit down and relax, not stand up and move around. This will be very useful and fun for games. I have no doubt that it will work very well, but it will have niche games. Real-time 1:1 is very cool, but unless gamers totally change their mindset, I cannot see Sony or Microsoft's system being used in every, or even a majority of games.
Avatar image for mistervengeance
mistervengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 mistervengeance
Member since 2006 • 6769 Posts

mrr

i'm still EXTREMELY skeptical about natal. i think it's too early for it, i don't see how it can work right, i don't see how m$ of ALL companies could make it work everyday like it was shown at e3. but, if it does, nintendo is royally screwed.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts
. but, if it does, nintendo is royally screwed.mistervengeance
Not necessarily. Price, image and momentum all pay a role.
gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

I wouldn't mind casually using it. It's just a nice option to have available.

flazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 flazzle

i'm still EXTREMELY skeptical about natal. i think it's too early for it, i don't see how it can work right, i don't see how m$ of ALL companies could make it work everyday like it was shown at e3. but, if it does, nintendo is royally screwed.

mistervengeance

Totally disagree. If Nintendo taught anybody ANYTHING about the game industry, it's about THE GAMES, not so much the tools. By using your logic, you are conceding controls are more important the games themselves. As well as accessibilty, large consumer base,and affordable development costs.

The PSP can run circles around the DS functionality wise, processor speed, screen quality, and graphics, yet the DS is a runaway success.

For Natal to overtake Wii, its GOING TO HAVE TO GO CASUAL!

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 heretrix

[QUOTE="heretrix"]

[QUOTE="flazzle"]

flazzle

Truth be told, I really don't care about Milo, I care about the applications behind it. Like you said, an adventure game with this tech has the potential to be amazing. Can you imagine talking to NPCs with this tech? As for the lemming logic, I'd give them a pass on this as this is waay beyond the Wiimote in what it can actually do. Natal can recognize multiple people and facial expressions and the like. There really isn't any comparison beyond the fact that it has motion control capabilities. But unlike the Wiimote it can do so much more.

Check out this article where someone at Kotaku played Burnout Paradise with it.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 heretrix

The project looks ambitious, and it seems like it has some seriously powerful technology behind it. Will it change gaming for ever? I doubt it. The traditional controller is too strongly forged in our minds/society/culture for it to disappear anytime soon. Nonetheless, Natal has a lot of potential for many cool things. Call me interested.IronBass
I won't call you interested. I'll call you IRONBASS.

I think it has a better ring to it. :P

W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 W1NGMAN-
Member since 2008 • 10109 Posts

I think Sonys right on this one, you just gotta have a controller with some triggers.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#39 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts
Amazing technology behind this Project Nata; however, I'm not sold on how this would work with some games. Needless to say, I'm sold on using the dashboard with this... that's pretty cool.
flazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 flazzle

As for the lemming logic, I'd give them a pass on this as this is waay beyond the Wiimote in what it can actually do. Natal can recognize multiple people and facial expressions and the like. There really isn't any comparison beyond the fact that it has motion control capabilities. But unlike the Wiimote it can do so much more.

heretrix

Yeah. YOU give them a pass. All we heard from them was 'teh gimmick' of motion controls. 'Teh flailing'. How NOTHING will top the controller. And I'm not even scratching the service on the PS3 Eyetoy. Not once was it ever said that 'Gee. If the EyeToy/Wii Remotewas more accurate, motion detection would be cool!'. No. Instead we heard 360 is 'teh hardcore' and 'They day they go motion, I leave console gaming!'

Ahh, the hypocrisy! Ha!

I wouldn't get too excited about Natal until NextGen. Peripherals building a succesful install base is rare, especially on a peripheral not even priced yet

flazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 flazzle

I think Sonys right on this one, you just gotta have a controller with some triggers.

W1NGMAN-

Yeah, but I think Natal is flexible enough to use both. depends on the game. It would work great with a wii-remote type controller, especially on an FPS. Shoot with one hand, open doors or grab stuff with the other or push buttons on a wall/elevator or drive.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 heretrix

[QUOTE="heretrix"]

As for the lemming logic, I'd give them a pass on this as this is waay beyond the Wiimote in what it can actually do. Natal can recognize multiple people and facial expressions and the like. There really isn't any comparison beyond the fact that it has motion control capabilities. But unlike the Wiimote it can do so much more.

flazzle

Yeah. YOU give them a pass. All we heard from them was 'teh gimmick' of motion controls. 'Teh flailing'. How NOTHING will top the controller. And I'm not even scratching the service on the PS3 Eyetoy. Not once was it ever said that 'Gee. If the EyeToy/Wii Remotewas more accurate, motion detection would be cool!'. No. Instead we heard 360 is 'teh hardcore' and 'They day they go motion, I leave console gaming!'

Ahh, the hypocrisy! Ha!

I wouldn't get too excited about Natal until NextGen. Peripherals building a succesful install base is rare, especially on a peripheral not even priced yet

Ok so they were wrong. System Wars is full of hypocrites from all sides...But really, bashing lemmings for getting behind this is like bashing people who didn't like Walkmans back in the day, but are now ipod nuts.

PvtGump8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 PvtGump8
Member since 2005 • 739 Posts

EA CEO John Riccitiello calls Natilee a "leap of faith".

http://www.vg247.com/2009/06/03/sonys-motion-control-oesnt-require-quite-the-leap-of-faith-that-natal-does-says-riccitiello/

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Animal-Mother

[QUOTE="heretrix"]

flazzle

Ahh, the hypocrisy! Ha!

if games go all motion control aka no more controller I am goin to the PC
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 heretrix

[QUOTE="flazzle"]

[QUOTE="heretrix"]

Animal-Mother

Ahh, the hypocrisy! Ha!

The PC is a good place to go. I just installed Windows 7 64 bit on my PC.......It's BEAUTIFUL.....:cry:

flazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 flazzle

EA CEO John Riccitiello calls Natilee a "leap of faith".

http://www.vg247.com/2009/06/03/sonys-motion-control-oesnt-require-quite-the-leap-of-faith-that-natal-does-says-riccitiello/

PvtGump8

I love that pic! One could say it's symbolic of what MS is doing to 'teh hardcore' by introducing motion...

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Animal-Mother

[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"][QUOTE="flazzle"]

Ahh, the hypocrisy! Ha!

heretrix

The PC is a good place to go. I just installed Windows 7 64 bit on my PC.......It's BEAUTIFUL.....:cry:

Nice so I guess their tryin to get done with vista? (dont know much about PC stuff)
Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Animal-Mother

What the hell is the name gonna be when it's released, because natal is the code word for it.
Skynet?Mylo?Irobot?1984?Supercaladocioussupremium?

omegaduckatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 omegaduckatron
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

I think the wii is getting owned the 360 and ps3 since they both have a motion control now.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

Yeah, but I think Natal is flexible enough to use both. depends on the game. It would work great with a wii-remote type controller, especially on an FPS. Shoot with one hand, open doors or grab stuff with the other or push buttons on a wall/elevator or drive.

flazzle
I agree. I was thinking you can still have the 360 controllers in your heads but do movements like using your available arm to mimic throwing grenades. If the Natal could have facial recognition I'm pretty sure it will detect your controllers with ease.