Odd-world Dev: Gap between PS4 and XB1 will never disappear

• 135 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tyloss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By tyloss
Member since 2012 • 846 Posts

Maybe Xbox fans will get 1080p and or 60fps next gen. If Microsoft is really generous maybe they'll have them both.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ARTICLE: Link

A few days ago, XboxAchievements posted an excerpt of an interview with Lorne Lanning, titled “Performance Gap Between Xbox One And PS4 Will Disappear, Says Oddworld Creator“.

We had already scheduled an interview of our own with Just Add Water CEO Stewart Gilray, so I took the opportunity to ask him about this, since the article garnered a lot of attention on the Web. It turns out that Lanning had been completely misinterpreted, and in truth it would be “physically impossible” for Xbox One performance to align with PlayStation 4′s:

Actually that is NOT what he said. I spoke to Lorne afterwards and what he meant when speaking to that guy was that budgets, schedules and perceivable differences would narrow, NOT that the Xbox One performance is improving to align with PS4,that is just physically impossible. The PS4 has MORE COMPUTE units, and faster memory and a whole bunch of things, that would make that physically impossible to happen.

As I imagined, then, Lanning had been merely referring to development costs and the likes, certainly not the performance – the hardware can’t change, after all, and there is only so much that a driver update can do.

Of course, this leaves us wondering if Xbox One will start getting 1080P@60FPS titles regularly anytime soon. What do you think? Let us know below, and be sure to check back in a few days for our full interview with Gilray; in the meantime, you can read Lanning’s thoughts on self-publishing on Xbox One, which we reported about just yesterday.

Read more at http://www.worldsfactory.net/2014/04/03/performance-gap-ps4-x1-not-disappearing#FQFSoQefEOmiExwx.99

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

Solid_Max13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 Solid_Max13
Member since 2006 • 3596 Posts

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

lol well damn. PS4 does have more compute, we just need to know if the 'Bone has 'super compute' a'la MisterX :P

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

He's butthurt over how their partnership with Microsoft panned out and now he's seeking vengeance. Biased dev is biased dev.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

Enough with the 60fps. It will never be the standard on consoles (nor for the majority of people on pc).

GotNugz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GotNugz
Member since 2010 • 681 Posts

To quote heil the ps4 is the most powerful system to have ever been created in the history of video games of all time and space.

Johnny-n-Roger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#8  Edited By Johnny-n-Roger
Member since 2003 • 15151 Posts

He includes "perceivable differences" in this "narrowing gap". I guess that's to assume that a minor demographic of aging gamers with deteriorating eye sight won't be able to "perceive" the difference between 1080p and 720p or 30 FPS and 60 FPS in the future.

PinkieWinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PinkieWinkie
Member since 2006 • 1454 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries: Biased or not, what did he state that is false?

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@tyloss: There won't be any gap by the time E3 2015 rolls around. Has Just Add Water ever made any XBox games? Lets have a look shell we.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_Add_Water_%28company%29

Release DateTitlesGenrePlatform(s)
2009Gravity CrashMultidirectional shooterPlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable
2011Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HDFirst-person/Third-personaction-adventurePlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita, Windows
2012Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee HDPlatformPlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita
2014Oddworld: New 'n' TastySide-scrolling, PlatformPlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita, PlayStation 4, Wii U, Windows, Mac, Linux
2014Gravity Crash Ultra[7]Multidirectional shooterPlayStation Vita

Well look at that. Not even one Xbox game ever made. Looks like a jelly 1st Party developer who has never worked on XBox 360 or Xbox One. Obviously this CEO at Just Add Water is clueless and biased for Sony. Trying to spread negative BS about the XBox One. Poor sap. He'll be crying after the E3 for those comments.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

@PinkieWinkie said:

@Salt_The_Fries: Biased or not, what did he state that is false?

He's just salty because the PS4 is winning. Don't take it personally.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#12 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

@topgunmv said:

Enough with the 60fps. It will never be the standard on consoles (nor for the majority of people on pc).

"nor for the majority of people on PC"

That's incorrect. That is the standard on the PC. Just because some people with their hand-me-down laptops have to settle for less than 60fps, doesn't mean that's the standard.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

We knew this from the time they were unveiled.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

Sales dont matter, MS can just always announce the percentage of how many logged in to twitch app and brag about that.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By topgunmv

@Wasdie said:

@topgunmv said:

That's incorrect. That is the standard on the PC. Just because some people with their hand-me-down laptops have to settle for less than 60fps, doesn't mean that's the standard.

I'd advise you google "majority" and think long and hard about what kind of pc the majority of people who fire up a game have.

I certainly can't run crysis 3 and metro last light at 60 fps, and my computer is well above average.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

Reality will start to settle in now for many lemmings across the land.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#17  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

@topgunmv said:

@Wasdie said:

@topgunmv said:

I'd advise you google "majority" and think long and hard about what kind of pc the majority of people who fire up a game have.

I certainly can't run crysis 3 and metro last light at 60 fps, and my computer is well above average.

So now you're furthering the goal by limiting it to only the most graphically demanding latest games and then implying those who buy the games are going to pump the graphics to the max they can go regardless of the framerate.

The majority of PC gamers (not people who use their parents laptops for F2P games and Minecraft) are going to be sticking with 60fps even if that requires them to turn down the settings. They'll turn down settings or upgrade. This also only applies to the absolute most demanding games, not your average game.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 topgunmv

@Wasdie said:

@topgunmv said:

@Wasdie said:

@topgunmv said:

The majority of PC gamers (not people who use their parents laptops for F2P games and Minecraft) are going to be sticking with 60fps even if that requires them to turn down the settings. They'll turn down settings or upgrade. This also only applies to the absolute most demanding games, not your average game.

That's a pretty big assumption you're making.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

Or could MS unlock the hidden power of the Xbox One's secret second chip. <_<

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

@Wasdie said:

@topgunmv said:

@Wasdie said:

@topgunmv said:

So now you're furthering the goal by limiting it to only the most graphically demanding latest games and then implying those who buy the games are going to pump the graphics to the max they can go regardless of the framerate.

yeah exactly.

on every pc game i hit 60 fps, deliberately, because i can makes choices in order to attain it.

i also have the choice of 120/144 Hz monitors for 120+fps gaming.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@topgunmv said:

@Wasdie said:

@topgunmv said:

@Wasdie said:

@topgunmv said:

Same can be said for your assumption too...

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

"b...bu....bu...but teh DirextX 12 driverz!!!1"

TLHBO

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 topgunmv

@clyde46 said:

@topgunmv said:

@Wasdie said:

@topgunmv said:

@Wasdie said:

@topgunmv said:

Maybe, but in my experience, there are only a handful of games outside of twitch shooters and specific racers that look bad with a framerate south of 60.

It might be a preference thing like how some people go apeshit over any motion blur whatsoever or when distant objects are obscured with a depth of field blur.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

Every none fanboy knows this

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

@I_can_haz said:

TLHBO

It is going to boast the Xbox one's power about 10%.

TCHBO

Johnny-n-Roger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#26 Johnny-n-Roger
Member since 2003 • 15151 Posts
@clyde46 said:

@topgunmv said:

@Wasdie said:

@topgunmv said:

@Wasdie said:

@topgunmv said:

I disagree. To imply that every PC gamer would prefer to play a game at 60fps at the expense of graphical quality on EVERY game they play is a major assumption. If 60 fps is the implied "standard" then this would have to be the case.

Solid_Max13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27 Solid_Max13
Member since 2006 • 3596 Posts

@xhawk27 said:

@I_can_haz said:

TLHBO

It is going to boast the Xbox one's power about 10%.

TCHBO

So far from demos especially that Forza one there's barely any difference, it will help but how is another story

"Microsoft tells us the PC Forza demo "was simply a rendering tech demo to showcase the power and ease of development for DX12. We have no plans to release Forza Motorsport 5, or any other Microsoft Studios Xbox One title on PC." When asked about specific enhancements for Xbox One, Microsoft confirmed that DX12 was on the roadmap for the console, but "beyond that, we have nothing more to share."

ButDuuude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ButDuuude
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

The cloud, Directx 12 and that secret sauce will make all of your dreams come true. The PS4 is doomed!

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

PS4 has MORE COMPUTE units, and faster memory and a whole bunch of things, that would make that physically impossible to happen.

That happens when you deliver the world's most powerful video game system that has ever been created.

We are humbled SONY.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

Lanning described the PS4 as an "amazing" system, from a technical standpoint, but pointed out that Sony's console and the Xbox One are now closer than ever before.

Sounds like Sony shook this guy after he spoke the truth.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

As long as it's smooth and locked 30fps is fine for me, in fact, the locking option made killzone shadowfall better imo. 1080/60 is just a bonus at this point. 1080 60fps could be a standard in the gen after this one but I think devs will continue to push graphical fedility instead of framerates.

KratosYOLOSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By KratosYOLOSwag
Member since 2013 • 1827 Posts

Just wait until E3. After extensive research I've managed to connect all the points and came to conclusion that MS will finally reveal the true power of the Xbone. Get ready for the real next gen console.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178845 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

He's butthurt over how their partnership with Microsoft panned out and now he's seeking vengeance. Biased dev is biased dev.

Speaking of bias.....

PinkieWinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 PinkieWinkie
Member since 2006 • 1454 Posts

@blackace: Wtf does E3 have to do with anything? You realize Sony will showcase more of The Order and most likely a gameplay demo of U4 right?

Also what does developing for X1 have to do with anything? Just like he states in the article, the PS4 has superior hardware and you don't need to develop games on Xbox to see that.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

Because 1080p 60fps is so common on the LieStation.

Dat 1080i

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By misterpmedia

@blackace said:

@tyloss: There won't be any gap by the time E3 2015 rolls around. Has Just Add Water ever made any XBox games? Lets have a look shell we.

2011Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HDFirst-person/Third-personaction-adventurePlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita, Windows
2014Oddworld: New 'n' TastySide-scrolling, PlatformPlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita, PlayStation 4, Wii U, Windows, Mac, Linux

Well look at that. Not even one Xbox game ever made. Looks like a jelly 1st Party developer who has never worked on XBox 360 or Xbox One. Obviously this CEO at Just Add Water is clueless and biased for Sony. Trying to spread negative BS about the XBox One. Poor sap. He'll be crying after the E3 for those comments.

what comments will these be blackace? You seem to be in the know about all things E3. Should put crystal-balling on your CV or something. Actually interestingly enough you've changed from E3 this year to E3 next year....wonder why that is heh.

lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 lbjkurono23
Member since 2007 • 12544 Posts

This can't be news to anyone by now.

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Because 1080p 60fps is so common on the LieStation.

Dat 1080i

You've officially jumped the shark.

tyloss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By tyloss

@blackace said:

Link please.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

@topgunmv said:

That's stupid. Seriously it makes no sense.

You can lower your settings in the options menu so unless you are running on intergrated graphics... 60FPS is achievable on every gaming PC.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

ITT: Lemming tears and anguish as their hopes and dreams are crushed.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#41 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

@I_can_haz said:

TLHBO

lmfao

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 blackace

@chikenfriedrice said:

Lanning described the PS4 as an "amazing" system, from a technical standpoint, but pointed out that Sony's console and the Xbox One are now closer than ever before.

Sounds like Sony shook this guy after he spoke the truth.

Lanning probably knows what Microsoft knows. lol!! Greatness is coming....

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 topgunmv

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

@topgunmv said:

That's stupid. Seriously it makes no sense.

You can lower your settings in the options menu so unless you are running on intergrated graphics... 60FPS is achievable on every gaming PC.

Point out where I said it wasn't achievable. I said the majority aren't able to have 60fps with maxed graphics, and aren't going to sacrifice fidelity for that high of a framerate.

Most of the more graphically demanding games aren't designed around the expectation of 60fps to begin with, not to mention it sometimes breaks games if you lower the graphics too much.

As an example (albeit with a less demanding game), if you turn down the graphics settings in world of warcraft enough, certain area of effect fx are disabled and you effectively can no longer tell where an enemy attack is going to land on some encounters.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

I don't tend to listen to a dev that has shown them selves butt hurt continually and putting on the act of phil fish and others to drum up hype and sales.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By blackace

@misterpmedia said:

@blackace said:

what comments will these be blackace? You seem to be in the know about all things E3. Should put crystal-balling on your CV or something. Actually interestingly enough you've changed from E3 this year to E3 next year....wonder why that is heh.

Your crystal ball must be much larger then mine. You come on here thinking you know EVERYTHING about EVERYTHING. So you should already know everything about the E3. There's nothing I can tell you that you don't already know, right? lol!! Amazing this dev hasn't worked on any Xbox 360/Xbox One games. I don't think they know anything about the XB1.

tyloss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 tyloss

@blackace: Do you have my link yet?

(MisterXmedia blogs don't count.)

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 misterpmedia

@blackace said:

@misterpmedia said:

@blackace said:

Your crystal ball must be much larger then mine. You come on here thinking you know EVERYTHING about EVERYTHING. So you should already know everything about the E3. There's nothing I can tell you that you don't already know, right? lol!! Amazing this dev hasn't worked on any Xbox 360/Xbox One games. I don't think they know anything about the XB1.

Not entirely sure if that was even a logical reply... I haven't made claims about what's happening at E3, you did lol. You continually do actually, just wanted to know why this dev will be eating his words come E3...sorry I mean E3 2015 now. What happened at the 2014 E3 that didn't live up to expectations? Tell us oh wise Mystic B.

But jokes aside, tales from your ass then I take it :p. Gotcha.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61485 Posts

HailtotheQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49  Edited By HailtotheQueen
Member since 2014 • 290 Posts

@topgunmv said:

I disagree as far as the PC goes... 60 FPS is pretty common on most games.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

Cows still grasping for anything to help justify that blind PS4 purchase.

I guess all you can do it hype up small graphical differences when you have no games.