Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-golden-days-consoles-over-other-ways/

Nvidia recently had its earnings call during which it posted record breaking, well earnings, and talked a bit about its future prospects. During the call, the CEO of Nvidia, Jen-Hsun talked about the different gaming platforms as well and noted that the “hey days of the past” are over for consoles.

“The PC has become the world’s largest game platform” – Jen-Hsung Huang, Nvidia CEO

During the call, a question was put forward to Jen-Hsun on how Nvidia’s cycle (the green half of the PC Gaming Duopoly) compares to the console’s, and what the CEO replied with was interesting, although expected.

But my sense is that the game console platform is not likely to enjoy the hay days when it was really unambiguously the only and the best game platform to enjoy games. It’s just not true anymore. There are just too many other ways to enjoy games. – Jen-Hsung

He talked about how there was a time when the consoles were undoubtedly the best way to enjoy games, and something which he states is not true anymore. I found this comment pretty interesting because PC has always been one of the premier gaming platforms (unless you are talking about legends like SNES and SEGA). Do I detect here a hint of red-envy? Anyways, It was only with the advent of the PlayStation One and Xbox (the original) in the early 2000s that the trend of gamers truly started shifting to consoles. My favorite game is a PS2 exclusive, but the first few games I remember playing were all on PC.

The PC has become the world’s largest game platform. China, the developing countries around the world, PC is a piece of platform they already own. They can upgrade it two, three, four times without having to change the basic platform. So the total of cost of ownership of a game PC is quite attractive. – Jen-Hsung

He talks about how statistically speaking the PC has overtaken consoles and mentions China as one of the prime examples. Elaborating on his point a little, the reason why China is the primary hub of PC Gaming is because consoles were never launched properly (or on time) in China. Infact there was a very literal console ban in place. While that didn’t stop black consoles from being sold, it did stop the vast majority of console uptake. Gamers in china therefore resorted to PC Gaming, prominently MMORPGs and MOBAs. Even though the ban is no longer at play, the PC gaming inertia is now very high, making it very unlikely to change anytime soon.

And so I think that there’s too many other ways to enjoy games now, for the game console to enjoy the hay days of the past. But we’ll see. The thing that I do know is this, without any question is that the PC is continuing to expand the number of titles. Great titles are coming to the PC. It’s is continuing to grow and the quality of titles is growing up ever so fast. – Jen-Hsung

Finally, he talks about how the PC platform is undergoing a re-awakening of sorts, with new titles and accelerating expansions happening throughout the Industry. He also mentions that the reason consoles cannot relive their golden age (that is now past) is because there are so many alternatives for gamers now, some of which are probably better. He also mentioned the fact that Android is poised to be a great mobile gaming platform of the future.

Read more: http://wccftech.com/nvidia-golden-days-consoles-over-other-ways/#ixzz3Ibq9wnQi

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58996 Posts

My gods.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Yeah, some day.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

Even though I'm glad the PC has its voice of support, unlike during the era of 360 and PS3, Nvidia is full of shit. Consoles aren't finished and they're here to stay. The more platform diversity, the better.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

They still sound bitter

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#6 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58996 Posts

@IgGy621985 said:

Even though I'm glad the PC has its voice of support, unlike during the era of 360 and PS3, Nvidia is full of shit. Consoles aren't finished and they're here to stay. The more platform diversity, the better.

I agree. By destroying consoles, pc (being an open platform) can give us the diversity we need.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Nvida- Arrogant as always.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 clyde46
@RR360DD said:

They still sound bitter

Yes, they sound bitter after posting record breaking earnings....

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

@RR360DD said:

They still sound bitter

Over what?

Also, Nvidia talking shit. I like their cards alot, but please STFU NV.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

So basically they are still butthurt that everyone went with AMD...

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11  Edited By Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts
@clyde46 said:

But my sense is that the game console platform is not likely to enjoy the hay days when it was really unambiguously the only and the best game platform to enjoy games. It’s just not true anymore. There are just too many other ways to enjoy games. – Jen-Hsung

So he confirms that consoles have been "unambiguously the only and the best game platform to enjoy games". Interesting.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 clyde46

@glez13 said:

They profits don't seem to mind...

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Sure....

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46324 Posts

This is as stupid as console fanboys saying PC gaming is dead.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lostrib

@glez13: I don't think they mind

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#16 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

Yeah, most people here seem to forget that most of the world uses PCs for gaming, because they can't afford a console. PCs are indeed the world's main gaming platform. then again, PCs are the main platform for EVERYTHING. lmao

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#17 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Finally ... This thread is going to be so much fun .

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

PC gaming would actually be bigger if nvidia didn't charge insane prices for graphics cards.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Nvidia keeps saying this year after year hoping people will believe it...The reality is Nvidia lost the console contract to AMD for Wii U, Xbone, and PS4. They have no choice but to suggest consoles are dying, which is something I've read since Bill Gates declared consoles were dying in the mid-90's, only years later to hypocritically unveil the Xbox. If you can't beat them, join them.

This is a good year for Nvidia to spin this PR. It was a terrible gaming year, especially for PS4/Xbone, so as Nintendo did last week, now Nvidia is making their claims. It's shortsighted and stupid when you consider the source, Nvidia.

I have three Nvidia cards in my four gaming PCs, but this is just stupid PR in an effort to sway users into buying their wares.

Grain of salt, especially from Nvidia PR. They want to sell more GPUs/cards and more computer being sold and will benefit them. They are doing good sure, but this declaration "consoles are finished or Golden Days of console are over" is a joke and quite frankly arrogant.

It's moronic. Nvidia's success doesn't mean the other machines are failing. The Xbone and especially PS4 are seeing record breaking sales.

The "Golden days of consoles" is not over just because some PR spinster from Nvidia, a company that lobbied and failed to get their wares into the three consoles, declares it so. The PC has been good for years, that's not changing. Consoles have been good for years, that's not changing. Gaming is GROWING.

Sadly, some younger, more naive twerps will probably believe this silly PR as there is a sucker born every minute. When it doesn't happen and next gen consoles roll out as they will, the twerps are going to be bitter at believing Nvidia PR of 2014 and this type of thinking/PR only creates future internet dicks to deal with.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13666 Posts

@IgGy621985 said:

Thing is, Nvidia are right.

Nvidia never said "Consoles are Finished" TC did.

The actual heading of the article is:

Nvidia: Golden Days of Consoles Are Over, So Many Other Ways To Enjoy Games

Read more: http://wccftech.com/nvidia-golden-days-consoles-over-other-ways/#ixzz3IbvX3D83

Sounds quite accurate and I've felt this way for a while. It started last gen and this gen even more so. Teh powah consoles have far less of an identity than they used to.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@IgGy621985 said:

Nvidia is full of shit. Consoles aren't finished and they're here to stay. The more platform diversity, the better.

Yes, they have no idea what they're talking about. PC gaming has finally broken out of that niche mold with steam and easier to assemble PCs. However, it still has a long way to go before it catches up with console popularity.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

As a pc gamer this means absolutely nothing to me.. IN fact it's this kind of precedent "Pc game platform is the largest platform now then any other", which is ruining gaming.. I don't care if the platform I support/play on is the most popular.. In fact what made it so great was the fact that there are numerous NICHE games out there that are by no means the most popular, but have a small healthy fanbase that keeps the devs going.. I want devs to support the platform, not because they see the most money coming from it, but the fact they can cultivate a small healthy community for their particular product with a REALISTIC projection of growth.. Currently we have these devs and publishers pouring in hundreds of millions of dollars into mainstream rehashes of games with unrealistic expectations of growth..

A great of example of this was Crytek's crying about how their Son of Rome game didn't sell as well as it hoped on the Xbox One.. And they blamed Xbox One sales.. Even though Xbox One sales surpassed the 360 sales at it's same time of life after release by 60% (a huge margin by any way you measure it).. They didn't stop to think they made a mainstream QTE shit action game that was largely brainless because they wanted to play it "safe" and do something that showed success with other franchises by other devs.. Currently all these big companies are ran by executive hacks who really don't know much about gaming and simply are reading a spread sheet and taking notes from other big successes in trying to copy their success rather than attempt something different.. A company should not have to abandon ship just because the platform they develop on isn't as popular as another..

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 HalcyonScarlet
@SolidTy said:

Nvidia keeps saying this year after year hoping people will believe it...The reality is Nvidia lost the console contract to AMD for Wii U, Xbone, and PS4. They have no choice but to suggest consoles are dying, which is something I've read since Bill Gates declared consoles were dying in the mid-90's, only years later to hypocritically unveil the Xbox. If you can't beat them, join them.

I have three Nvidia cards in my four gaming PCs, but this is just stupid PR in an effort to sway users into buying their wares.

Grain of salt, especially from Nvidia PR. They want to sell more GPUs/cards and more computer being sold and will benefit them. They are doing good sure, but this declaration "consoles are finished or Golden Days of console are over" is a joke and quite frankly arrogant.

It's moronic. Nvidia's success doesn't mean the other machines are failing. The Xbone and especially PS4 are seeing record breaking sales.

The "Golden days of consoles" is not over just because some PR spinster from Nvidia, a company that lobbied and failed to get their wares into the three consoles, declares it so. There PC has been good for years, that's not changing. Consoles have been good for years, that's not changing. Gaming is GROWING.

Sadly, some younger, more naive twerps will probably believe this silly PR as there is a sucker born every minute. When it doesn't happen and next gen consoles roll out as they will, the twerps are going to be bitter at believing Nvidia PR of 2014 and this type of thinking/PR only creates future internet dicks to deal with.

Playstation has lost a lot of the Japanese identity that it had before the PS3. The western gaming Xbox and Playstation present was adopted and adapted from the PC. Most games are also on the PC.

There are many platforms like the Nvidia guys said.

And there is not a huge amount of games that make teh powah consoles stand out from the PC anymore, PS and Xbox don't even stand out from each other much anymore. Console only multiplat exclusives seem to be going full multiplat more and more these days as well.

A contributing factor is likely the ever increasing cost of making games.

But in this sense the Nvidia guy isn't too off the mark with his opinion.

Zelda187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#24  Edited By Zelda187
Member since 2005 • 1047 Posts

I'm a PC gamer, and even I admit that this is just dumb.

Console gaming isn't going anywhere

A lot people either don't want to commit $700+ to build a quality gaming PC or just flatout don't know how to put a rig together nor do they care to learn.

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ProtossX
Member since 2005 • 2880 Posts

nvidia cards aren't being used in any of the consoles maybe thats why they mad about it?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@RR360DD said:

They still sound bitter

Bitter or not, they are right.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

Well....jeez....I guess if the Nvidia CEO says this we should all go out and buy a $2000 PC for Farmville and shit.

Whatever....I don't care what ppl say....PC gaming isn't as profitable unless it's certain games.

This bullshit is annoying....more ppl are on PC and yet consoles make more money for most game companies....you'd think with the 456,674,436,647,001 PC gamers they'd be able to make more of an impact than the PS4.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 clyde46

@JangoWuzHere said:

PC gaming would actually be bigger if nvidia didn't charge insane prices for graphics cards.

No competition.

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

They're so bitter its cute.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
@JangoWuzHere said:

Yes, they have no idea what they're talking about. PC gaming has finally broken out of that niche mold with steam and easier to assemble PCs. However, it still has a long way to go before it catches up with console popularity.

In 2008 there was 263 million online PC gamers. That accounted for the entire Wii, PS3, 360, DS and PSP userbases combined.

PC gaming has never had a problem with popularity.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

@JangoWuzHere said:

@IgGy621985 said:

Nvidia is full of shit. Consoles aren't finished and they're here to stay. The more platform diversity, the better.

PC gaming can actually be pretty niche and pretty mainstream at the same time. Which can't be said for consoles. On the one hand you can play games which are aimed for a narrow, "niche" portion of the market, and on the other hand you can have titles which generate millions and billions of dollars in revenue.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SolidTy

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@SolidTy said:

This is a good year for Nvidia to spin this PR. It was a terrible gaming year, especially for PS4/Xbone, so as Nintendo did last week, now Nvidia is making their claims. It's shortsighted and stupid when you consider the source, Nvidia.

The "Golden days of consoles" is not over just because some PR spinster from Nvidia, a company that lobbied and failed to get their wares into the three consoles, declares it so. There PC has been good for years, that's not changing. Consoles have been good for years, that's not changing. Gaming is GROWING.

Playstation has lost a lot of the Japanese identity that it had before the PS3. The western gaming Xbox and Playstation present was adopted and adapted from the PC. Most games are also on the PC.

There are many platforms like the Nvidia guys said.

And there is not a huge amount of games that make teh powah consoles stand out from the PC anymore, PS and Xbox don't even stand out from each other much anymore. Console only multiplat exclusives seem to be going full multiplat more and more these days as well.

A contributing factor is likely the ever increasing cost of making games.

But in this sense the Nvidia guy isn't too off the mark with his opinion.

Should anyone honestly be bothered to even believe any super-biased PR Nvidia is posting, or is it people want to believe the PR Nvidia is posting? Meh.

I've been a PC gamer since the original Wolfenstein 3D and Myst. Before that, I played games on my families computers, games like Zork. This PR from Nvidia is way off the mark and is just there way of making money. I'm not new to PC gaming and I didn't get fooled into buying any of my machines. I research everything I drop money on. Time will reveal this was just another year of PR from Nvidia (who tried and failed to get their wares into the Wii U/Xbone/PS4) and they will say it again when the new generation of consoles releases...UNLESS they can get their wares into the consoles instead of AMD. Then maybe AMD will say it.

Nvidia is just looking out for Nvidia and trying to drum up support along the way. Consoles are seeing record breaking sales...

They are the worst source for this and they've been saying these things for awhile. The only thing they got going is the timing, 2014 was a shit year for gaming. Nintendo's PR took advantage about how bad 2014 was last week. Time to strike with PR while the iron is hot. My first post covered my feelings and I might just copy paste it when Nvidia does this again in a few weeks/months.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

Console golden days are over. The public have voiced their discontent by ensuring the PS4 and X1 are the fastest selling consoles in recent history. All hail the death of consoles.

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By B4X
Member since 2014 • 5660 Posts

Wow.... I just had to wipe the BS off my monitor....

Dat NVidia Hyperbole.. Go back to doing what you do... Graphics cards. Try making it where average people can afford them also.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 clyde46

@mr_huggles_dog said:

Well....jeez....I guess if the Nvidia CEO says this we should all go out and buy a $2000 PC for Farmville and shit.

Whatever....I don't care what ppl say....PC gaming isn't as profitable unless it's certain games.

This bullshit is annoying....more ppl are on PC and yet consoles make more money for most game companies....you'd think with the 456,674,436,647,001 PC gamers they'd be able to make more of an impact than the PS4.

How a game is profitable is dependent on how much money was spent creating it. You spent $10,000 on making a game, you make $20,000 in sales, you made $10,000 in profit. You look at the sales charts for many games that appear on both PC and console. Console titles have a massive spike when they are just released but they taper off really quickly whilst PC games sell less at the start but will keep selling. Digital distribution has a big impact on that. Limitless digital shelf space has helped many games that would of been lost in the endless clearouts that have to happen in retail stores.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#37  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@clyde46 said:

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-golden-days-consoles-over-other-ways/

Nvidia recently had its earnings call during which it posted record breaking, well earnings, and talked a bit about its future prospects. During the call, the CEO of Nvidia, Jen-Hsun talked about the different gaming platforms as well and noted that the “hey days of the past” are over for consoles.

“The PC has become the world’s largest game platform” – Jen-Hsung Huang, Nvidia CEO

During the call, a question was put forward to Jen-Hsun on how Nvidia’s cycle (the green half of the PC Gaming Duopoly) compares to the console’s, and what the CEO replied with was interesting, although expected.

He talked about how there was a time when the consoles were undoubtedly the best way to enjoy games, and something which he states is not true anymore. I found this comment pretty interesting because PC has always been one of the premier gaming platforms (unless you are talking about legends like SNES and SEGA). Do I detect here a hint of red-envy? Anyways, It was only with the advent of the PlayStation One and Xbox (the original) in the early 2000s that the trend of gamers truly started shifting to consoles. My favorite game is a PS2 exclusive, but the first few games I remember playing were all on PC.

The PC has become the world’s largest game platform. China, the developing countries around the world, PC is a piece of platform they already own. They can upgrade it two, three, four times without having to change the basic platform. So the total of cost of ownership of a game PC is quite attractive. – Jen-Hsung

He talks about how statistically speaking the PC has overtaken consoles and mentions China as one of the prime examples. Elaborating on his point a little, the reason why China is the primary hub of PC Gaming is because consoles were never launched properly (or on time) in China. Infact there was a very literal console ban in place. While that didn’t stop black consoles from being sold, it did stop the vast majority of console uptake. Gamers in china therefore resorted to PC Gaming, prominently MMORPGs and MOBAs. Even though the ban is no longer at play, the PC gaming inertia is now very high, making it very unlikely to change anytime soon.

And so I think that there’s too many other ways to enjoy games now, for the game console to enjoy the hay days of the past. But we’ll see. The thing that I do know is this, without any question is that the PC is continuing to expand the number of titles. Great titles are coming to the PC. It’s is continuing to grow and the quality of titles is growing up ever so fast. – Jen-Hsung

Finally, he talks about how the PC platform is undergoing a re-awakening of sorts, with new titles and accelerating expansions happening throughout the Industry. He also mentions that the reason consoles cannot relive their golden age (that is now past) is because there are so many alternatives for gamers now, some of which are probably better. He also mentioned the fact that Android is poised to be a great mobile gaming platform of the future.

Read more: http://wccftech.com/nvidia-golden-days-consoles-over-other-ways/#ixzz3Ibq9wnQi

I remember there always being a PC market, it was before the PS2/Xbox that many were going consoles in my experience. But as the consoles have evolved, and many gamers from my day aged, the PC has become a much more enticing platform. Good read though. Pass go twice, collect 400 and punch one person in the face.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#38 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Nope. Prices being lower always make the difference.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SolidTy
@TrappedInABox91 said:

They're so bitter its cute.

@Zelda187 said:

I'm a PC gamer, and even I admit that this is just dumb.

Console gaming isn't going anywhere

A lot people either don't want to commit $700+ to build a quality gaming PC or just flatout don't know how to put a rig together nor do they care to learn.

@mr_huggles_dog said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

@IgGy621985 said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

This is as stupid as console fanboys saying PC gaming is dead.

@lostrib said:

Sure....

@glez13 said:

@Gamerno6666 said:

Nvida- Arrogant as always.

@IgGy621985 said:

@deadline-zero0 said:

Nvidia talking shit. I like their cards alot, but please STFU NV.

For the most part, agreed.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SolidTy

@blueinheaven said:

Console golden days are over. The public have voiced their discontent by ensuring the PS4 and X1 are the fastest selling consoles in recent history. All hail the death of consoles.

haha.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 lostrib

@ProtossX: settle down nutjob

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#42  Edited By GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

The problem with modern consoles is that they are increasingly losing their specialisation. For example, back in the days PS always had the best JRPGs. If a player wants JRPGs, then PS would have been a no brainer.

Nowadays, all the platforms are becoming more and more generalised. What's the best console to play some JRPGs? There isn't an absolute answer. What's the best console to play some shooters? There isn't an absolute answer. The list goes on. On the other hand, PC has always been generalised since PC gaming was born. It does a better job at being generalised, and gradually people would take notice if all their other options are also generalised.

Wii U to some degree is an exception. It still retains some of its specialisation, but in recent years that specialisation hasn't been put to use enough with their insufficient number of releases. I know they are releasing more exclusives than PS4 & XBO, but even then it's simply not enough.

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

@RR360DD said:

They still sound bitter

Ok, let's clear this up. Nvidia is doing fine--amazing in fact. They're completely dominating the discrete GPU market. 970s are flying off the shelves faster than they can produce them. They're in no trouble. The console hardware market is not the lucrative cash cow that many people think it is. It's just not. Their investors didn't give a flying **** that AMD won the console market. That said, I disagree with the idea that consoles will go away anytime soon, but Jen didn't even say that to begin with--he simply said their days of being the ideal way to play games are over and that is very much true.

It is gonna be incredibly hard for consoles to compete once we start seeing Titan level performance in $150-$200 GPUs, which will happen VERY SOON (the 970 is already there for ~$320)

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

they're still butthurt cuz ps4/x1 doesn't used nvidia gpu's

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

@b4x said:

Wow.... I just had to wipe the BS off my monitor....

Dat NVidia Hyperbole.. Go back to doing what you do... Graphics cards. Try making it where average people can afford them also.

Yeah, those $200 GTX 760s and $320 970s are just so out of range for most people. What do they expect us to do, save up for years!? $300!!? Nobody can afford that kind of shit!!

@mr_huggles_dogLink Yeah, you really need $2000 to beat the shit out of consoles.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
@SolidTy said:

Should anyone honestly be bothered to even believe any super-biased PR Nvidia is posting, or is it people want to believe the PR Nvidia is posting? Meh.

I've been a PC gamer since the original Wolfenstein 3D and Myst. Before that, I played games on my families computers, games like Zork. This PR from Nvidia is way off the mark and is just there way of making money. I'm not new to PC gaming and I didn't get fooled into buying any of my machines. I research everything I drop money on. Time will reveal this was just another year of PR from Nvidia (who tried and failed to get their wares into the Wii U/Xbone/PS4) and they will say it again when the new generation of consoles releases...UNLESS they can get their wares into the consoles instead of AMD. Then maybe AMD will say it.

Nvidia is just looking out for Nvidia and trying to drum up support along the way.

They are the worst source for this and they've been saying these things for awhile. The only thing they got going is the timing, 2014 was a shit year for gaming. Nintendo's PR took advantage about how bad 2014 was last week. Time to strike with PR while the iron is hot.

But I don't believe it because Nvidia say it. I don't need a source for this, it's just a discussion of opinions.

As I said, it's becoming more the case. It's one of the reasons consoles don't excite me like they used to. They share too much of their identity now. The Golden Years as they put it were when the devices were easily defined. If you wanted all those cool console games, you had to have that console. Apart from a handful of games it isn't always the case now.

It's one of the reasons I have so much respect for the Wii U and am considering picking one up. It's the last true console.

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

He's not wrong.

All one has to do is look at the state of the industry when the PS2 was alive and well, and the current state of the industry.

I mean it's great that there are millions of gamers who still want to bend over, and get milked by Sony and MS, but the fact is that the majority of games aren't on consoles anymore, and the majority of gamers aren't playing consoles anymore.

There will never be another year where a hundred awesome games come out that only consoles can play. You can count good console exclusives on one hand nowadays.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
@papatrop said:

He's not wrong.

All one has to do is look at the state of the industry when the PS2 was alive and well, and the current state of the industry.

I mean it's great that there are millions of gamers who still want to bend over, and get milked by Sony and MS, but the fact is that the majority of games aren't on consoles anymore, and the majority of gamers aren't playing consoles anymore.

There will never be another year where a hundred awesome games come out that only consoles can play. You can count good console exclusives on one hand nowadays.

Exactly, thank you.

And on your other point, the level of milking now is disgusting, and I didn't realise until I went PC.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

So PC just became biggest gaming platform? i thought hermits said PC always been biggest and best flatform

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ProtossX
Member since 2005 • 2880 Posts

how are consoles milking people have you seen world of warcraft business model?

15 dollars a month, tons of in game purchases 60 dollar character change, 60 dollar level 90 boost 20 dollar transfers

and have you seen steam

oh buy all this crap for 59 dollars when u get the game an all that stuff for like 20 dollars at amazon as like a greatest hits no dude ur wrong

and look at LoL and like stuff on pc oh u can buy all the heros for like 500 dollars thats a scam bro hearthstone like 500 dollars forr all the legends

no dude the milking is actually alive an thriving on pc dont u dare say microsoft an sony are doing it worse just look at blizzard look at riot look at steam an compare it to like amazon deals no dude ur a liar an wrong

nvidia knows it