Next Generation: Sony and Microsoft, Do Something Interesting Or Else, No Thanks

• 135 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

User Lists: 0

#101 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

Nintendo Popularizes and Innovates, Sony and Microsoft follow.Haziqonfire
At the expense of power. It's funny how you admonish the PS3 and 360 for being gimped PCs, but you want a Wii U... a console being released six years later than the 360 that's barely on the same level... I get Nintendo has great first party software, but their release frequency is arguably worse than that of Sony and MS first party software. You, my friend, have some issues to work out.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#102 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"] Nintendo Popularizes and Innovates, Sony and Microsoft follow.JustPlainLucas

At the expense of power. It's funny how you admonish the PS3 and 360 for being gimped PCs, but you want a Wii U... a console being released six years later than the 360 that's barely on the same level... I get Nintendo has great first party software, but their release frequency is arguably worse than that of Sony and MS first party software. You, my friend, have some issues to work out.

Yeah, but it's not like it's trying to compete with a PC, Nintendo never cares about hardware specs or having the best hardware. Never have.
AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#103 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts

I don't really care for the Nintendo systems anymore,after the Wii and DS,and i already have lost all the interesting for the WiiU....WiiU controller is a joke.The only i want is the real next gen consoles the PS4/XBOX720.I have learn my lesson with the Wii........lol

But i agree.......no more kinect....please.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#104 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"] -Demon's Souls, a PS3 exclusive -Dark Souls, a game built from the ground up for consoles and is now being ported to PC with a locked 30 FPS (and limited graphics options from the looks of it). -From Software have developed/ported 3 games, counting Dark Souls, over to the PC in their entire existence. lolwut.

Not sure what isn't to get here... they've expressed interest in bringing Souls to as many platforms as possible, have committed to bringing it to PC and will most likely be making a new game in the series soon. Given my already great interest in getting a new PC for what it offers without Souls, if Dark Souls and any successors end up on it, then I would have very little reason to own a console anymore. Sorry I didn't explain that in clear, explicit sentences the first time.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#105 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

I've already decided what I'm going to do next generation. I'm going to get a Wii U because Nintendo does interesting things on the hardware front

Haziqonfire

Stopped reading garbage here.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 JustPlainLucas
[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"] Yeah, but it's not like it's trying to compete with a PC, Nintendo never cares about hardware specs or having the best hardware. Never have.

I don't really see their games competing with the PC. In fact, PC developers are actually designing their games to be more like console games. And come on... that's a poor excuse for Nintendo. The fact that they don't care about hardware (ANYMORE) has cost them not only GAMERS but GAMES. If Nintendo was smart, they'd continue to innovate with a little more HP under the hood, and you cannot deny that unless your Nintendo goggles are welded to your head.
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#107 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

And next gen, if Nintendo again tries to sell console tech at twice the price it's worth, No sir, No sale. :P

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
And next gen, if Nintendo again tries to sell console tech at twice the price it's worth, No sir, No sale. :PSecretPolice
'cause staying in business is for suckers! Amirite?
LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts
You do realize the fish on the spongebob gif bought all of it in the end of the episode right?
Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts

Wii U looks like just another big gimmick. It's far less innovative than the Wii was and the constraints on the hardware to render that second screen are going to be noticeable.

Wasdie
well tbh Wasdie, I think the WiiU will do far better than the Wii. It will rely on gimmicks but not in the same way (A BIG WAY) Wii did. A tablet is far more traditional, and with more potential, than motion controllers. This time Nintendo seems to be less conservative about the power, (rumors), I still think they will be behind 720/Ps4. But the gap won't be as astronomical as this gen. So 3rd party won't totally dismiss the WiiU. Well, speculating is fun, but there are only 11 days left till E3 then this questions and more will be answered.Can't wait for it! =D
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 haziqonfire

Stopped reading garbage here.

jg4xchamp

Naw, gotta continue.

I don't really see their games competing with the PC. In fact, PC developers are actually designing their games to be more like console games. And come on... that's a poor excuse for Nintendo. The fact that they don't care about hardware (ANYMORE) has cost them not only GAMERS but GAMES. If Nintendo was smart, they'd continue to innovate with a little more HP under the hood, and you cannot deny that unless your Nintendo goggles are welded to your head.JustPlainLucas

Nintendo has always produced hardware when it's cheap so they can sell it for profit. It's harder to provide more powerful hardware at an affordable price without taking a loss. It's smarter for a business to sell at a margin than sell at a loss and recoup elsewhere. Unlike Sony and Microsoft, Nintendo doesn't have other busness sectors to recover costs.

What innovative retail games have actually succeeded this generation? Most of the games released that are successful are the ones that stick to traditional conventions. If you want innovative titles, you're better off looking at indie development platforms - and those games do not require high end horse power to do innovative or interesting things.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]And next gen, if Nintendo again tries to sell console tech at twice the price it's worth, No sir, No sale. :PZeviander
'cause staying in business is for suckers! Amirite?

From what I stated; I dunno what that has to do with the price of rice in China but okay.

Back at ya then, cause as consumers, that is our #1 concern, amright ?

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts

[QUOTE="JustPlainLucas"]

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"] Nintendo Popularizes and Innovates, Sony and Microsoft follow.Haziqonfire

Yeah, but it's not like it's trying to compete with a PC, Nintendo never cares about hardware specs or having the best hardware. Never have.

The N64 was the most powerful 5th generation console. Clocked at 93.75 MHz, the N64?s VR4300 was the most powerful console CPU of its generation.It had its drawbacks like a limited texture cache andsmall cartrige size (64MB compared to the PS1 700MB CDs).

Here is a comparision between the hardware specs of the PS1 and N64:

PS1: 33.8 Mhz 32-bit CPU, nameless GPU (effects: texture mapping, flat & gouraud shading, ect.), 2 MB main ram, 1 MB VRAM, can do 180K texture mapped and light sourced polygons per second

N64: 93.7 Mhz 64-bit CPU, 62.5 Mhz RCP (effects: everything the PS1 did + bilinear filtering, mip mapping, anti-aliasing, environment mapping, ect.), 4 MB RDRAM (expendable to 8 MB via Expansion Pak), can do 100K polygons in N64 quality in Fast3D mode and 500 to 600K polygons in PS1 quality in Turbo3D mode

And the Gamecube was right behind the Xbox in terms of hardware as well, beating the PS2.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

Seems like a blog thing to me TC. This is just you're own personal gaming preference going through an evolution which is fair.

MS and Sony will do what's right for them.

Yes Nintendo comes out with interesting controller methods, but if there is one thing the Wii proves, is that hardly anyone apart from Nintendo know what to do with it.

It's not enough to just come out with the technology, you be innovative enough to support it. That's the one advantage of Nintendo that keeps them up.

I've seen threads locked for a lot less obvious so called blog material, especially in the old SWs.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 JustPlainLucas

The N64 was the most powerful 5th generation console. Clocked at 93.75 MHz, the N64?s VR4300 was the most powerful console CPU of its generation.It had its drawbacks like a limited texture cache andsmall cartrige size (64MB compared to the PS1 700MB CDs).

Here is a comparision between the hardware specs of the PS1 and N64:

PS1: 33.8 Mhz 32-bit CPU, nameless GPU (effects: texture mapping, flat & gouraud shading, ect.), 2 MB main ram, 1 MB VRAM, can do 180K texture mapped and light sourced polygons per second

N64: 93.7 Mhz 64-bit CPU, 62.5 Mhz RCP (effects: everything the PS1 did + bilinear filtering, mip mapping, anti-aliasing, environment mapping, ect.), 4 MB RDRAM (expendable to 8 MB via Expansion Pak), can do 100K polygons in N64 quality in Fast3D mode and 500 to 600K polygons in PS1 quality in Turbo3D mode

And the Gamecube was right behind the Xbox in terms of hardware as well, beating the PS2.

AcidSoldner
Let's also not forget how the SNES not only had better graphics than the Genesis but had better audio as well. But you know, I really am tired of hearing this argument about how Nintendo is "smart" for making cheap hardware so they can make a profit on day one. No, no. They aren't smart. They're SCARED. They're too freaking scared to be in the red for a couple of years. Either that, or they're penny pinchers. Their cash reserves are in the BILLIONS. BILLIONS. You think selling a few million consoles at a 50 dollar loss would hurt them that much? Not every Nintendo gamer is happy to be thrown a bone, Haziq. We want our waggle sticks and tablet controllers to play better looking games. Honestly, stop defending them.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 haziqonfire

Let's also not forget how the SNES not only had better graphics than the Genesis but had better audio as well. But you know, I really am tired of hearing this argument about how Nintendo is "smart" for making cheap hardware so they can make a profit on day one. No, no. They aren't smart. They're SCARED. They're too freaking scared to be in the red for a couple of years. Either that, or they're penny pinchers. Their cash reserves are in the BILLIONS. BILLIONS. You think selling a few million consoles at a 50 dollar loss would hurt them that much? Not every Nintendo gamer is happy to be thrown a bone, Haziq. We want our waggle sticks and tablet controllers to play better looking games. Honestly, stop defending them.JustPlainLucas

Ha. It's not about being scared.

No company should aim to take a loss on a product they launch, it doesn't make sense. Most businesses do the opposite.

Stop defending them? All I said was their strategy is different than Sony and Microsofts because they don't take a hit on each console and they generally use hardware when it's cheap to produce so they can sell it at a loss. They've always been like that.

Avatar image for -ArchAngeL-777-
-ArchAngeL-777-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#117 -ArchAngeL-777-
Member since 2007 • 3840 Posts
It just depends on what Wii U can do as far as multiplats. Will it truly be able to play them next gen, or will it be another dumbed down version if at all like on the Wii? I mean, your complaint on Microsoft also applies to Nintendo. If your not into Mario and Zelda, what do you get? Personally, I would go for Mario and Zelda any day over Halo/Forza/Fable/Kinect. Sony on the other hand has shown to be completely unpredictable in a good way. Look at their hit titles this gen...mostly brand new stuff that gamers could not have predicted last gen. You know there will be a few current titles that have entries, just like God of War, GT, Ratchet and Clank, etc did this gen. I'm betting you will see a lot of new, quality stuff which is why PS4 will likely be a buy for me.
ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#118 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

Who cares about multiplats on the Wii U when you have a PC that can provide you the best version. I want a platform that will provide me new ways to play and a different experience that my PC doesn't produce.

The Wii U is looking to be that. If Nintendo can take away the Japanese development support that Sony gets, then no PS4 is required. The PS4 and NextBox (if they remain the same) will provide me an inferior experience compared to my PC.

The Wii U will be different, just like the Wii was.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]

[QUOTE="AM-Gamer"]

So basically you are a blind Nintendo fanboy that will buy anything with there name on it? When is the last time Nintendo did anything intresting with there hardware? If releasing hardware that is 5 years behind the competition at launch and relying on a horrid gimmick of a control that was resonsible for no 3rd party support and the most shovelware ever to be released on a system is interesting to you then hopefully Sony and MS will not take your advice. Good thing is you are just a kid in SW so im sure they wont.

CLOUDsea

Post 2004 they've been doing interesting things on the hardware front. The DS, Wii, 3DS and Wii U - Dual screen portable with a touch screen, Wii with motion controls, 3DS with glasses free 3D and Wii U with a tablet controller.

Call em gimmicks all you want, at least it separates them from the others.

I am no kid bud.

If anything, it's responses like this that make them seem like gimmicks. You claim to be interested in them for the sole reason that they are different. That's what a gimmick is. They're features (differences) for the sake of grabbing attention, moreso than any practical application. Like the flawed glasses free 3D that the 3DS employs.

You pretty much hit the nail right on the head. Nintendo doesn't have the balls to try to truely technically innovate anything so they rely on a cheap gimmick. The Wii not only was it a terribly underpowered console but its motion control was horribly inaccurate. The 3d's 3d technology is also very unimpressive alone with the hardware and the screen itself. Then you have the Wii U which we dont know much about but many of the features can already be done on the I pad and cheap kids toys. Nintendo has done nothing to truely innovate anything from a hardware perspective. There first party games are outstanding ill give you that, but what holds them back more then anything is there hardware.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

[QUOTE="JustPlainLucas"]Let's also not forget how the SNES not only had better graphics than the Genesis but had better audio as well. But you know, I really am tired of hearing this argument about how Nintendo is "smart" for making cheap hardware so they can make a profit on day one. No, no. They aren't smart. They're SCARED. They're too freaking scared to be in the red for a couple of years. Either that, or they're penny pinchers. Their cash reserves are in the BILLIONS. BILLIONS. You think selling a few million consoles at a 50 dollar loss would hurt them that much? Not every Nintendo gamer is happy to be thrown a bone, Haziq. We want our waggle sticks and tablet controllers to play better looking games. Honestly, stop defending them.Haziqonfire

Ha. It's not about being scared.

No company should aim to take a loss on a product they launch, it doesn't make sense. Most businesses do the opposite.

Stop defending them? All I said was their strategy is different than Sony and Microsofts because they don't take a hit on each console and they generally use hardware when it's cheap to produce so they can sell it at a loss. They've always been like that.

And how well has that served them? They have been dead last the past 3 years and they are the first to release a new console. Everybody said Nintendo won based on sells? Hell I would say NIntendo came in last . They sold a bunch of systems to people that didnt buy games and there console had the shortest life span off all 3 because they lost the core gamer and couldnt keep the casual interested.

GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 GamerwillzPS
Member since 2012 • 8531 Posts

Wii-U is a garbage full of gimmicks with casual games, so no thanks. 'New' innovations always end up as gimmicks and are not great at all. I just want power.

Here are my thoughts about next generation consoles:-

PS4: DAY 1 PURCHASE!

Xbox 720: Unlikely with all the Kinect crap going on. It's turning into a Wii.

Wii-U: Hell no. It's a casual garbage!

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

LBP not amazing? just good?:lol: yeah, go with pc dude...

plus if pc's soooo amazing, why haven't you already bought in?

Shinobi120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Shinobi120
Member since 2004 • 5728 Posts

Who cares about multiplats on the Wii U when you have a PC that can provide you the best version. I want a platform that will provide me new ways to play and a different experience that my PC doesn't produce.

The Wii U is looking to be that. If Nintendo can take away the Japanese development support that Sony gets, then no PS4 is required. The PS4 and NextBox (if they remain the same) will provide me an inferior experience compared to my PC.

The Wii U will be different, just like the Wii was.

ShadowDeathX

Indeed. You can bet the Japanese gamers will be all over it just like with Wii. They always want more newer stuff. If Wii U get's most 3rd party support because of the higher install base, then what's the point for me to purchase Nextbox or PS4? I only had a NES, SNES, Genesis, PS1, & PS2 for that very reason (& a Dreamcast as a side console). The huge 3rd party support.

Heck, that's the only reason why I got a Xbox 360 in the first place; Because of most 3rd party series that the Wii didn't get.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#124 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

interesting...sony tries...but always a step slow....i think sony needs to hire some crazy innovative people...

good luck with ms...

FIipMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#125 FIipMode
Member since 2009 • 10850 Posts

if i had to choose between innovative and great software support i would choose the latter, they may innovate, but nintendo had the worst console this gen with their software droughts and poor third party support.

wii u's tablet controller and new possible experiences is going to mean jack all if they get the same third party treatment and droughts.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#126 deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
Member since 2002 • 7110 Posts

You're an IDIOT. TC

Quite possibly the worst MOD on Gamespot. How you became a MOD is beyond me.

What's even worst, he's a bitter little SHEEP :lol:

Avatar image for Obviously_Right
Obviously_Right

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 Obviously_Right
Member since 2011 • 5331 Posts

[QUOTE="jimmypsn"]

Doesn't Nintendo rely to heavily on gimmiks, DS, 3d, tablet.

Haziqonfire

Nintendo Popularizes and Innovates, Sony and Microsoft follow.

Nintendo does not innovate, not on the hardware front, and definitely not on the software front and they are now playing catch up to M$ with their beautifully named "Nintendo Network". :roll:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697

[QUOTE="JustPlainLucas"]

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"] Nintendo Popularizes and Innovates, Sony and Microsoft follow.Haziqonfire

Wrong, SNES, N64 and GC say hi. Not the epitome of power, but surely slightly more powerful than the competition. GC especially was designed for efficiency and low cost, and more developer friendly than PS2.

They gimped out this generation because clearly Nintendo couldn't keep up and compete against Sony and MS in Hardware Power.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#129 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

I like how people in this thread don't even address the post and instead resort to insults, lol.

Avatar image for Obviously_Right
Obviously_Right

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Obviously_Right
Member since 2011 • 5331 Posts

[QUOTE="Kashiwaba"][...] they could be underpowered again and their tablet control could be hard to be utilized by 3rd part devs.Zeviander
Ignoring all the anecdotal evidence from actual third party developers I see. Everything they've said has been positive, and not in any way pointing towards "underpowered" or "hard to be utilized". Keep your head in the sand... it'll help the jelly.

Hype, hype, hype, happens every gen, looks like you've been suckered in earlier than most.

Remember how thw PS3 was going to do 4d? Remember how the Wii was supposed to change Console Gaming? Yet devs still develop for the controller first.

Sheep love to boast about the Wii's sales, I wonder how many of those people still play their Wii's?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697

I like how people in this thread don't even address the post and instead resort to insults, lol.

Aljosa23

Adressing what exactly?

His BLOG is basically filled with Irony and Contradictions, it's not even funny, it's sooooo funny :lol:

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

you guys make stuff too complex.

if a console has games you like, get it, if not, don't get it.

and even though i know the correct solution is buy a pc the 1st thing that happens is you ruin yourself for gaming on consoles because now that big AAA console exclusive that normally you would be hyped about looks horrible compared to what you are used to.

ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts
I am thinking PC + Wii U, maybe snag up the PS4 later on. PC will get me the best version of the multiplats being slinging around. Wii U seems to be really catching my idea with that tablet controller, will present some interesting things. And the PS3 will certianly cover the rest of the their IPs and some other stuff.
Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#134 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

I already know that a controller with a screen will bring nothing new to the table if we take the DS an an example so why we should care about the Wii U? Unless the system comes out with decent power (like the rumored specs suggest) then I don't care about garbage gimmicks. Or at least they should do like the Xbox and offer it as an optionalperipheral. You go and buy Kinect and play those "new" type of games only possible on the device instead of trying to force gimmicks that don't work on traditional games made with buttons in mind.