Next Generation: Sony and Microsoft, Do Something Interesting Or Else, No Thanks

• 135 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -

I've already decided what I'm going to do next generation. I'm going to get a Wii U because Nintendo does interesting things on the hardware front, they set themselves apart from the competition and have great first party titles. I'm going to invest in a gaming PC because I want the best of the best and consoles simply cannot offer that, no matter how hard they try they're always poor in comparison.

For that reason alone if Microsoft and Sony decide "We're making more of the same", count me out because I honestly don't give a crap. I'm done playing a poor mans gimped PC for a console. I'm done playing third party games at 15FPS. I'm also done trying to find something to like that's made in house by Sony and Microsoft when neither offer anything great. Yeah, Uncharted is great but if you don't like third person shooters what are you left with? Resistence? No thanks. Infamous? Meh. LBP? Eh, no. The ones I just mentioned aren't even amazing or top quality, they're only 'good' - that's nice and dandy but I'm looking for more.

Microsoft you say? Well, if you don't like Halo, Fable or Forza you're **** out of luck. It's okay they've got this though:

chocolatekinectjvc5c.gif

No thanks bruh.

Why does it seem like Nintendo is the only one who 'gets it' about making a console? Sony and Microsoft really don't understand, being just like everyone else isn't going to get you very far. Granted, Microsoft understands this with Kinect but the execution has been absolutely terrible.

So you Sony and Microsoft fans might be happy buying a new Playstation or Xbox, but I sure as hell won't be if they just follow conventions.For all you people who aren't fortunate enough to discover the difference between PC and consoles, it's like this:

ivOWbErz4ZGNl.gif

So while Sony and Microsoft try to fight it out to be second best, I'll be enjoying my Gaming PC and Wii U unless they actually wake up and decide "Hey, we finally get it". When that day comes, I'll be back on the Playstation and Microsoft front. Until then, nada.

And no, this:

ssdance.gif

Does not count as being 'different'. They really need to do a lot for them to make me give a damn and to get to the same success level as Nintendo has with the Wii and will probably get with the Wii U.

#2 Posted by AcidSoldner (7051 posts) -
/hipster
#3 Posted by jimmypsn (4425 posts) -

Doesn't Nintendo rely to heavily on gimmiks, DS, 3d, tablet.

#4 Posted by Aljosa23 (24941 posts) -

jimmypsn

Every innovation was considered a gimmick at point, even analog sticks.

#5 Posted by Kashiwaba (7398 posts) -

Meh Nintendo sheep and their obsession with Nintendo stop making it seem as if Nintendo makes things out of this world while I'm interested in Wii U tablet controller and how will it be used in games I dont see it adding anything new or innovative to gaming.

#6 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -

jimmypsn
Nintendo Popularizes and Innovates, Sony and Microsoft follow.
#7 Posted by Shinobi120 (5570 posts) -

I very much agree with you, OP.

#8 Posted by Raymundo_Manuel (4641 posts) -

Sony and MS need to open their systems up to every type of distribution method, and every type of payment method.

This is the key that will lead to an influx of a huge amount of games.

#9 Posted by casharmy (6830 posts) -

Blog it

#10 Posted by TheFallenDemon (13933 posts) -

who'd you bribe to get those tags

#11 Posted by ShadowDeathX (10657 posts) -
Agreed. :)
#12 Posted by Shinobi120 (5570 posts) -

Blog itcasharmy

You're telling a moderator what to do? :lol:

#13 Posted by Aljosa23 (24941 posts) -

Playstation_F_50.jpeg.

#14 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
I'll be going wherever From Software and the Souls IP goes. So probably PC.
#15 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -

Sony and MS need to open their systems up to every type of distribution method, and every type of payment method.

This is the key that will lead to an influx of a huge amount of games.

Raymundo_Manuel
That's a start. Having a pricing model on consoles would be good too. Microsoft can do a pricing structure like the Kinect bundle to pay less up front, more long-term. I can see Sony copying that strategy shortly after. The Kinect deal right now is a bad deal since we know what a normal 360 costs, however if the new console comes out with a contract type model, it might entice more people to buy one.
#16 Posted by casharmy (6830 posts) -

[QUOTE="casharmy"]Blog itShinobi120

You're telling a moderator what to do? :lol:

Well *looks at thread* I've seen mods say the same thing for similar types of threads.

#17 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -
[QUOTE="Zeviander"]I'll be going wherever From Software and the Souls IP goes. So probably PC.

What about Metroid :o
#18 Posted by Aljosa23 (24941 posts) -

[QUOTE="Zeviander"]I'll be going wherever From Software and the Souls IP goes. So probably PC.Haziqonfire

Metroid died with Other M.

so bad

#19 Posted by Michael0134567 (28651 posts) -

I'm definitely going to get the Wii U,no question about that.I agree with you.

#20 Posted by Michael0134567 (28651 posts) -

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"][QUOTE="Zeviander"]I'll be going wherever From Software and the Souls IP goes. So probably PC.Aljosa23

so bad

Hardly.
#21 Posted by RR360DD (11946 posts) -
Yeah because another Mario and zelda console is soooo interesting
#22 Posted by Michael0134567 (28651 posts) -
Yeah because another Mario and zelda console is soooo interestingRR360DD
Another Xbox console loaded with shooters sounds so amazing.
#23 Posted by BrunoBRS (73260 posts) -
glad you're doing the same thing i am, haz :D i'd feel worse about not having a sony or MS system if the wii u didn't promise to cover all "console exclusive" games, many of which include games i love but can't play on the PC. so i'll stick with nintendo + PC, unless i need another system to enjoy a bunch of awesome games.
#24 Posted by BrunoBRS (73260 posts) -
says the dude with a halo theme.
#25 Posted by fernandmondego_ (3170 posts) -
I'll pass on the gimmicks.
#26 Posted by sandbox3d (5118 posts) -

Wii U and PC are a sure thing. I agree regarding MS and Sony. I'm sure I'll own them all eventually, but I wont be quick to hop on board with the latter this time around.

Also, I wont be buying a console just for the gurantee of my favorite current IPs being there. I did that this gen and it blew up in my face. I trust very few developers now.

#27 Posted by RR360DD (11946 posts) -
[QUOTE="RR360DD"]Yeah because another Mario and zelda console is soooo interestingMichael0134567

Xbox actually get multiplats unlike nintendo consoles. I can play tons of quality games that wii gamers only dream of.
#28 Posted by Grawse (4342 posts) -
Yeah I'd way rather get a 720 to play Halo and early CoD map packs. All while still paying for XBL.
#29 Posted by Michael0134567 (28651 posts) -

[QUOTE="Michael0134567"][QUOTE="RR360DD"]Yeah because another Mario and zelda console is soooo interestingRR360DD

Xbox actually get multiplats unlike nintendo consoles. I can play tons of quality games that wii gamers only dream of.

A similar thing could be said about many other systems.

#30 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -

glad you're doing the same thing i am, haz :D

i'd feel worse about not having a sony or MS system if the wii u didn't promise to cover all "console exclusive" games, many of which include games i love but can't play on the PC. so i'll stick with nintendo + PC, unless i need another system to enjoy a bunch of awesome games.BrunoBRS

I just don't see the point in getting gimped consoles anymore when a gaming PC is a better investment in the long run and offers superior versions of games.

Wii U and PC are a sure thing. I agree regarding MS and Sony. I'm sure I'll own them all eventually, but I wont be quick to hop on board with the latter this time around.

Also, I wont be buying a console just for the gurantee of my favorite current IPs being there. I did that this gen and it blew up in my face. I trust very few developers now.

sandbox3d

Yup. A lot of people I know personally and gamers bought consoles for specific exclusives and got a slap in the face when they went multiplat. The biggest one I can think of is Final Fantasy XIII. Seems like the only way to have 'exclusive' anything multiplat any more is through DLC, features, services, etc or indie games. Those are great and all but Sony and Microsoft really need to give me a reason as to why they're different than everyone else.

#31 Posted by Aljosa23 (24941 posts) -

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"] What about Metroid :oMichael0134567

so bad

Hardly.

Uh, yeah. Other M didn't even reach half a million sales yet which is far, far below expectations for a first-party Nintendo game. The actual game sucked too.

fantastic rebuttal though

#32 Posted by Garganroo (104 posts) -

Motion and tablet controls are a gimick end of story. Motion controls often end up ruining the gaming experience by being inacurate and ineffective, especially the wiimote that wasnt even 1:1 for the best part of the wiis life cycle. Besides displaying inventory/map/stats i cant see a single good use for the tablet control. Which is pointless since looking at the pad takes you out of the immersion much like clicking through menus the old fashion way does. It baffles me how nintendo get away with having a handful of milked franchises which havnt really changed since the 64 era, zero new IP's as well as last gen tech and bad control schemes. Give me powerful tech so the developers can create bigger better worlds, better AI and visually stunning games and day over a gimmicked last gen console.

#33 Posted by Giancar (19063 posts) -
I've already decided what I'm going to do next generation. I'm going to get a Wii U Haziqonfire
seriouslyyyy? No way I would have guessed thissss Oh mah god teh meagatonzzz :o
#34 Posted by darkhadou (646 posts) -
I can promise you this much....the PS4 controller will have a touch screen in the middle. LMBO!!!!!!!
#35 Posted by slowpokebro (534 posts) -
I agree. This is why I support Nintendo first every gen.
#36 Posted by Nohtnym (1552 posts) -

Wii U will have 3rd party titles. Nintendo is focusing trying to bring "hardcore" games to wii u, and they acknowledged there wasnt much that in wii.

AC3 and Alien colonial marines, that is already good start. At e3 we know more.

#37 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -
[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]I've already decided what I'm going to do next generation. I'm going to get a Wii U Giancar
seriouslyyyy? No way I would have guessed thissss Oh mah god teh meagatonzzz :o

Spoiler alert.
#38 Posted by HaloPimp978 (7294 posts) -

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"][QUOTE="Zeviander"]I'll be going wherever From Software and the Souls IP goes. So probably PC.Aljosa23

so bad

Disagree that wasn't a true Metroid game. I blame Team Ninja they f'ed that up so badly just like the did with NG3.

#39 Posted by Chris_Williams (14874 posts) -

your a nintendo fanboy so i don't see the reason why you need to shout it out to the world that your doing this

#40 Posted by AM-Gamer (3927 posts) -

I've already decided what I'm going to do next generation. I'm going to get a Wii U because Nintendo does interesting things on the hardware front, they set themselves apart from the competition and have great first party titles. I'm going to invest in a gaming PC because I want the best of the best and consoles simply cannot offer that, no matter how hard they try they're always poor in comparison.

For that reason alone if Microsoft and Sony decide "We're making more of the same", count me out because I honestly don't give a crap. I'm done playing a poor mans gimped PC for a console. I'm done playing third party games at 15FPS. I'm also done trying to find something to like that's made in house by Sony and Microsoft when neither offer anything great. Yeah, Uncharted is great but if you don't like third person shooters what are you left with? Resistence? No thanks. Infamous? Meh. LBP? Eh, no. The ones I just mentioned aren't even amazing or top quality, they're only 'good' - that's nice and dandy but I'm looking for more.

Microsoft you say? Well, if you don't like Halo, Fable or Forza you're **** out of luck. It's okay they've got this though:

No thanks bruh.

Why does it seem like Nintendo is the only one who 'gets it' about making a console? Sony and Microsoft really don't understand, being just like everyone else isn't going to get you very far. Granted, Microsoft understands this with Kinect but the execution has been absolutely terrible.

So you Sony and Microsoft fans might be happy buying a new Playstation or Xbox, but I sure as hell won't be if they just follow conventions.For all you people who aren't fortunate enough to discover the difference between PC and consoles, it's like this:

So while Sony and Microsoft try to fight it out to be second best, I'll be enjoying my Gaming PC and Wii U unless they actually wake up and decide "Hey, we finally get it". When that day comes, I'll be back on the Playstation and Microsoft front. Until then, nada.

And no, this:

Does not count as being 'different'. They really need to do a lot for them to make me give a damn and to get to the same success level as Nintendo has with the Wii and will probably get with the Wii U.

Haziqonfire

So basically you are a blind Nintendo fanboy that will buy anything with there name on it? When is the last time Nintendo did anything intresting with there hardware? If releasing hardware that is 5 years behind the competition at launch and relying on a horrid gimmick of a control that was resonsible for no 3rd party support and the most shovelware ever to be released on a system is interesting to you then hopefully Sony and MS will not take your advice. Good thing is you are just a kid in SW so im sure they wont.

#41 Posted by Kashiwaba (7398 posts) -

Anyway Nintendo systems are like any other system if you dont like Mario and Zelda then there is no reason for getting them.

#42 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
What about Metroid :oHaziqonfire
Played Dark Souls? It's where Metroid went. We haven't had a proper Metroid in almost a decade. We just had one great, and one good game wearing the Metroid namesake.
#43 Posted by Aljosa23 (24941 posts) -

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"] What about Metroid :oHaloPimp978

so bad

Disagree that wasn't a true Metroid game. I blame Team Ninja they f'ed that up so badly just like the did with NG3.

That's nice. Doesn't excuse the fact that sales were abysmal.

#44 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -

So basically you are a blind Nintendo fanboy that will buy anything with there name on it? When is the last time Nintendo did anything intresting with there hardware? If releasing hardware that is 5 years behind the competition at launch and relying on a horrid gimmick of a control that was resonsible for no 3rd party support and the most shovelware ever to be released on a system is interesting to you then hopefully Sony and MS will not take your advice. Good thing is you are just a kid in SW so im sure they wont.

AM-Gamer

Post 2004 they've been doing interesting things on the hardware front. The DS, Wii, 3DS and Wii U - Dual screen portable with a touch screen, Wii with motion controls, 3DS with glasses free 3D and Wii U with a tablet controller.

Call em gimmicks all you want, at least it separates them from the others.

I am no kid bud.

#45 Posted by sandbox3d (5118 posts) -

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]glad you're doing the same thing i am, haz :D

i'd feel worse about not having a sony or MS system if the wii u didn't promise to cover all "console exclusive" games, many of which include games i love but can't play on the PC. so i'll stick with nintendo + PC, unless i need another system to enjoy a bunch of awesome games.Haziqonfire

I just don't see the point in getting gimped consoles anymore when a gaming PC is a better investment in the long run and offers superior versions of games.

Also, I wont be buying a console just for the guarantee of my favorite current IPs being there. I did that this gen and it blew up in my face. I trust very few developers now.

sandbox3d

Yup. A lot of people I know personally and gamers bought consoles for specific exclusives and got a slap in the face when they went multiplat. The biggest one I can think of is Final Fantasy XIII. Seems like the only way to have 'exclusive' anything multiplat any more is through DLC, features, services, etc or indie games. Those are great and all but Sony and Microsoft really need to give me a reason as to why they're different than everyone else.

Yeah, they do need to stand out. Consoles used to have identity, but if all they do is keep chasing specs they will always be half ass PCs.

And it wasn't just the exclusives going multi that got me (though yes that did get me lol), but It was the extreme drops in quality as well. Basically all of my favorite games of last gen received piss poor sequels this gen. The two games that I specifically bought a PS3 for turned out to be my biggest gaming disappointments in 25+ years. The 2 series that I specifically bought a 360 for also had a disastrous debut this gen. Luckily both consoles ended up with plenty of great titles, but no longer will I jump in blindly just to follow a series I like.

#46 Posted by verbtex (8527 posts) -

I can promise you this much....the PS4 controller will have a touch screen in the middle. LMBO!!!!!!!darkhadou
Mmm. :/. I hope it becomes optional much like SixAxis did. I would hate to be in the middle of beating a boss using buttons and then have to use the touch screen to like poke an eye or something.

#47 Posted by Gamingclone (5224 posts) -

One thing that will instantly make me consider Microsofts and Sony's consoles, drop the Numbers.

#48 Posted by RR360DD (11946 posts) -

[QUOTE="RR360DD"]Yeah because another Mario and zelda console is soooo interestingNohtnym

Wii U will have 3rd party titles. Nintendo is focusing trying to bring "hardcore" games to wii u, and they acknowledged there wasnt much that in wii.

..... :lol: keep telling yourself that
#49 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -
[QUOTE="Nohtnym"]

[QUOTE="RR360DD"]Yeah because another Mario and zelda console is soooo interestingRR360DD

..... :lol: keep telling yourself that

What is the point of third parties not supporting the Wii U? Spreading it across multiple platforms is better and it's easy to port over.
#50 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
..... :lol: keep telling yourself thatRR360DD
Considering how many current gen ports it's already getting for launch, I'd think you'd be dumb to not think it won't get good support.