Naughty Dog: Sticking to 1080/60FPS

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

Naughty Dog has some serious games under its belt for Sony, with PlayStation exclusive titles like Uncharted and The Last of Us, with the latter recently going through a Remastered edition on the PS4. The Last of Us: Remastered was running at 1080p and 'mostly' 60FPS, with an option to enable 30FPS if you really wanted to.

When asked about hitting 1080p and 60FPS for its upcoming games, including Uncharted 4: A Thief's End, Naughty Dog's Community Manager, Arne Meyer said: "I think that's what we want to push for with anything we're doing on this generation. That's sort of the mandate from when we were building the PS4 engine. Let's see if we can do this and hit it. We hit it with The Last of Us Remastered, so why not stick with this?".

Uncharted 4 will soon hit the PS4, and with near confirmation it'll be running at 1080p and 60FPS, fans of the original three Uncharted games have wondered of a remastered version of the popular games. Meyer talked about those rumors too, where he said: "I personally think it would work well, because there's a lot of attention on the studio between the success of Uncharted 2, 3 and The Last of Us. It'd be nice to give players the opportunity to go back and play the older games, and people who are new to the PlayStation platform". What better way to drum up to the launch of Uncharted 4 on the PS4, than with a remastered Uncharted trilogy released?

Read more at http://www.tweaktown.com/news/40743/naughty-dog-will-stick-with-1080p-60fps-for-future-games-on-the-ps4/index.html

Well, its easy to talk about it, lets see them do it.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45105 Posts

In Naughty Dog we trust

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

Oh, maybe then they can join the ranks of Forza 5 as the "other" exclusive that is running 1080p/60fps.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

Haven't most all this gen devs said pretty much the same thing way before their game was even close to done, " we are pushing for 1080P 60 fps " then towards the end say well, we tried. :P

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@SecretPolice said:

Haven't most all this gen devs said pretty much the same thing way before their game was even close to done, " we are pushing for 1080P 60 fps " then towards the end say well, we tried. :P

Well ND couldn't manage a solid 60 on the "remaster" of the TLOU.

REKThard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 REKThard
Member since 2014 • 479 Posts

meh

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts
@FastRobby said:

It's easy to do it, but how will the graphics look and how many characters will we see on screen...

It'll be a Naughty Dog/10 in the graphics department.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@FastRobby said:

It's easy to do it, but how will the graphics look and how many characters will we see on screen...

great graphics... about 8 people if your lucky.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SecretPolice

@clyde46 said:

@SecretPolice said:

Great point, hadn't even considered that, yikes.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

Well I was hoping they would have more open environments in the next uncharted. I hope they don't sacrifice that just to hit 1080p 60FPS and have uncharted 4 as confined and linear and the last gen ones.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

Consoles 60FPS is actually ~40FPS, if history is anything to go by. They start calling it ^)FPS as soon as it crosses the 30FPS barrier.

miiiiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 miiiiv
Member since 2013 • 943 Posts

They didn't hit stable 60 fps with TLOUre but 60 fps with some minor dips is still much better than locked 30 fps. But I think ND will target 30 fps and better graphics (as they have been doing most of the time) for the majority of their upcoming games despite what they are saying now.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#15 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

They better not do a U-turn later and start claiming 30 fps or 900p as more "cinematic". Too many bullshiters in the industry these days.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

@clyde46 said:

Let's see if we can do this and hit it. We hit it with The Last of Us Remastered, so why not stick with this?".

Because porting a last gen game build on last gen visuals and resolution is much easier to make run at 60 frames per second than a next gen looking game in terms of visuals?

I hope Naughty Dogs hits it, because the more devs try to go for 60fps the better, and i'm glad they're focusing on it.

But every developer aims for higher. It's getting that frame rate stable that' tricky. Barely any 60fps game on next gen consoles keep it steady.

gpuking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 gpuking
Member since 2004 • 3914 Posts

I don't like the 60fps part, I much prefer more of everything else.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

stunning i tell u just stunning. also 343 confirmed halo 5 wont be 1080p, they sacrificed resolution for 60fps which automatically makes uc4 the go to game next holiday season

#sdc

rogerjak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 rogerjak
Member since 2004 • 14950 Posts

Just give me Jak and Daxter

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@FastRobby said:

quickly became the #1 excuse for lems lately xD

Crypt_mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#24  Edited By Crypt_mx
Member since 2007 • 4739 Posts

I will wait and see, they have said this about many games and it always turns out to be a lie. I expect 900p(might make 1080), unlocked frame-rate maybe around 40 (with the option to VSYNC).

AC:U said they were aiming for 1080p/60fps too, look what we got. "We hit it with TLoU Remastered, why not this?" Because this is supposed to be a full on next gen game, not a texture, resolution and shadow update. Characters are going to have higher polygons, levels are going to be more expansive with a lot more going on. TLoU Remastered doesn't even run at 60, so they essentially are hoping for better performance out of a bigger, more detailed, next-gen game.

Wishful thinking at best.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@clyde46 said:

@SecretPolice said:

Yeah because running all those SPE heavy operations on Jaguar is easy right.?

You don't understand this many of the code had to be move to the GPU because the CPU was weak sauce,but not all the code is optimal to run on the GPU,after All Cell was a CPU,emulating calls is not the same as making it from ground up.

Emulating take much more power.

Avatar image for HaloinventedFPS
HaloinventedFPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 HaloinventedFPS
Member since 2010 • 4738 Posts

Doubt it, if they go for 60fps, it won't look anything like the E3 trailer

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

Naughty Gods are at the helm. Nice to see TOP 5 GOAT devs pushing the boundaries of play.

Crypt_mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Crypt_mx

@Krelian-co said:

@FastRobby said:

It's kind of a good point though, most Sony games boast visuals but in small confined areas (Driveclub, The Order, Killzone) then their one open world game (infamous) was lifeless and empty. Infamous SS's emptiness makes you realize that the game could have been 900p 30fps with more going on (like Sunset) but it seems that Sony is obsessed at meeting the 1080p mark regardless of game quality and features. They just play off of numbers, humans are silly, they see a bigger number so it must be better!

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts
@SolidGame_basic said:

In Naughty Dog we trust

It'll work because there won't be much happening on the screen at once and it won't be an open world. I won't be surprised if it's downgraded though. Getting the Last of Us to 1080P / 60fps wasn't a big deal since it was a last gen title. Uncharted 4 will be created from the ground up for the PS4 using a different engine then what was on the PS3. At worse it will be 1080P / 30fps. I'm fine with that.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

Guess we are stuck with 8 hours of Drake's face and a fly buzzing at 60fps

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

How very uncinematic of them.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SecretPolice

@chikenfriedrice said:

Yeah X1 would win this round with 8 hours of Lara's face with a fly buzzing open at 60 fps hmmm. :P

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By zeeshanhaider

@tormentos said:

@clyde46 said:

@SecretPolice said:

Yeah because running all those SPE heavy operations on Jaguar is easy right.?

You don't understand this many of the code had to be move to the GPU because the CPU was weak sauce,but not all the code is optimal to run on the GPU,after All Cell was a CPU,emulating calls is not the same as making it from ground up.

Emulating take much more power.

So Naughty Duds don't know how to program for 900pStation confirmed? Ah well, developing exclusively for Cell for almost a decade has it drawbacks afterall. Gaben was right.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

@SecretPolice said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

Yeah X1 would win this round with 8 hours of Lara's face with a fly buzzing open at 60 fps hmmm. :P

Easy win

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By tormentos

@zeeshanhaider said:

So Naughty Duds don't know how to program for 900pStation confirmed? Ah well, developing exclusively for Cell for almost a decade has it drawbacks afterall. Gaben was right.

No if you actually got that from my post then your are even dumber than i ever believe.

Making a game from ground up to take advantage of 1 hardware,then trying to run it on a totally different one will cause problems,unless you rewrite basically all the game which would be like making the game new,the PS3 CPU was very powerful but hard,and Ubisoft benchmark showed that,it outdoes the Jaguar on PS4 in several things even just using 5 SPE.

So emulating certain parts of the game were a challenge,i play Tekken 3 on mame and it runs slow and that is basically a PS1 arcade board.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 tormentos

@zeeshanhaider said:

No if you actually got that from my post then your are even dumber than i ever believe.

Making a game from ground up to take advantage of 1 hardware,then trying to run it on a totally different one will cause problems,unless you rewrite basically all the game which would be like making the game new,the PS3 CPU was very powerful but hard,and Ubisoft benchmark showed that,it outdoes the Jaguar on PS4 in several things even just using 5 SPE.

So emulating certain parts of the game were a challenge,i play Tekken 3 on mame and it runs slow and that is basically a PS1 arcade board.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#39  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

They are damn good at making game engines and graphics renderers, but I still doubt the PS4. Naughty Dog has stupidly high quality requirements and I don't think the PS4 has what it takes to hit that level of visual fidelity and maintain 1080p at 60 fps.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 zeeshanhaider

@tormentos said:

@zeeshanhaider said:

So, they don't know how to code for GPU, which is much easier than coding for SPE's, gotcha. And nope they weren't emulating the PS3, Naughty Duds job was to port the game and that's what they did. Learn the difference between porting and emulating, dumb dumb.

@scottpsfan14 said:

Even though Gaben wouldn't know where to start getting TLOU working on hardware sop vastly different to the PS3. He was just a whiney bitch about multithreaded coding. Saying "it won't have advantages". Was he right about that? Why don't we code games on PC to use only 1 core for the rest of time. Or just 1 of the lousy 1.6GHz cores on the PS4? Ha.

Gabe Newell even stated that ND were the veterans with multithreaded coding. The first and even today, continue to be the best. You are supposed to be this know it all, but you don't even understand nor appreciate how difficult of a task it was to get TLOU from the PS3 to the PS4. I'd have thought you would respect such a thing. But Nooo, you have your dick so far up PC and Crytek that you can't possibly take a console developer seriously. Even though DirectX coding is for beginners basically. Where all devs start.

Gaben was wrong on that one. He was yet to understand it, and Naughty Dog were forced to understand it developing for PS3. And they did. Which is why developing for the PS4 for them is a breeze with the 6 cores. They have worked with the hardest hardware for 8 years, now everything else seems simple and childs play to them. Deal with that shit.

Actually Cell wasn't multithreaded. SPE's are vector processors not the main core. Vector processors =/= multi-core CPU's. The SPE's are more like GPU's compute unit except they don't have any of its advantages. So Cell was in no way, shape or form had 6 cores. Pretty damn sure ND won't have any advantage coming from developing off CELL for the multi-core CPU's. Thirdly Gabe Newell was damn right, when he said that developing for the PS3 has no benefit and was proven right by Sony's abandoning the Cell after PS3. All the effort to write code for PS3 went into the gutter and that's what Gabe initially said.

"Investing in the Cell, investing in the SPE gives you no long-term benefits. There's nothing there that you're going to apply to anything else. You're not going to gain anything except a hatred of the architecture they've created", Newell told Edge magazine.

Source

SamiRDuran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41 SamiRDuran
Member since 2005 • 2758 Posts

subpar graphics confirmed

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Krelian-co

@Crypt_mx said:

@Krelian-co said:

@FastRobby said:

It's kind of a good point though, most Sony games boast visuals but in small confined areas (Driveclub, The Order, Killzone) then their one open world game (infamous) was lifeless and empty. Infamous SS's emptiness makes you realize that the game could have been 900p 30fps with more going on (like Sunset) but it seems that Sony is obsessed at meeting the 1080p mark regardless of game quality and features. They just play off of numbers, humans are silly, they see a bigger number so it must be better!

or maybe lems should stop making excuses for lower numbers, you should just accept the fact that the xbone is weaker so they have to downgrade, weaker ram bandwith and weaker gpu mean you can't stream the same textures and draw the same on screen. If you coded the same game on each console the ps4 would result in bigger resolution, no matter how you want to spin it, carry on damage controlling my dear lem.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16896d1cc2
deactivated-5ba16896d1cc2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-5ba16896d1cc2
Member since 2013 • 2504 Posts

@clyde46: well actually that's because TLOU is still using the PS3 engine, it is not reworked ground up for the PS4 and so that is why it sometimes may nit be steady 60 FPS, they didn't have enough time to really rework the game fully ground up, had they did this the game would of looked even better even at same resolution and FPS.

SambaLele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SambaLele
Member since 2004 • 5552 Posts

@rogerjak said:

Just give me Jak and Daxter

mave198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 mave198
Member since 2004 • 7332 Posts

LMAO @ the doubters.

How many times must ND slap the naysayers, especially the filthy lemmings.

TLHBO.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By zeeshanhaider

@scottpsfan14 said:

In terms of industry standard, yes he was right. But it did benefit performance and what you could do with the system given the right hands. Also, ND have stated they are using the Jaguar CPU much like they used the SPE's in the Cell. Calling the Jag cores "worker threads", just like they did the SPE's in the PS3. They left the single core PPE in the Cell to do normal CPU tasks while the SPE's actually drew polygons to screen and worked through physics and AI etc. Like you said, much like GPU compute units with actual graphics processing too. Even so, Naughty Dog find using the Jaguars multi cores easy. If Cell and the SPE's didn't give any advantage to them, then they would be struggling to utilize the Jaguars multicores right now since they have been working on a single core CPU for 8 years. But no, they are using the CPU cores much like they used the SPE's for physics and AI. Except this time, they have to draw all of the graphics with the GPU because the CPU cores obviously can't do that (well they can but with horrible results).

In that Gaben quote, he was talking from a multiplat devs point of view. The code was just too different from everything else. So devs were forced to use the GPU alone on many games which is why the 360 outperformed the PS3 in most games.

Of course developing for the Jaguar would be easy compared to CELL since they no longer has to deal with Cache coherency manually but that doesn't mean that since they were working on SPE's it helped them to write better multi-threaded code. The developers coming from 360 have much more experience with multithreaded code than exclusive PS3 devs, and none of the devs really utilized multi-threaded code previous gen fully. Most of the last generation games were optimized for two cores at max. and yes, even for ND extracting most out of Jaguar cores is not a breeze. All devs had to radically change their code to fully take advantge of the multi-core CPU because of low clock speeds.

And don't get your panties so tight, I was actually trolling El-Tomato rather than commenting on ND's capabilities really. :D

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Krelian-co

@mave198 said:

LMAO @ the doubters.

How many times must ND slap the naysayers, especially the filthy lemmings.

TLHBO.

it's pre naughty dog game damage control time by lems, everytime they damage control and every time naughty gods destroy lems opinions, remember the last of us damage control? well i do, funny stuff.

Crypt_mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Crypt_mx

@Krelian-co said:

@Crypt_mx said:

@Krelian-co said:

@FastRobby said:

or maybe lems should stop making excuses for lower numbers, you should just accept the fact that the xbone is weaker so they have to downgrade, weaker ram bandwith and weaker gpu mean you can't stream the same textures and draw the same on screen. If you coded the same game on each console the ps4 would result in bigger resolution, no matter how you want to spin it, carry on damage controlling my dear lem.

Not a lem, PS4/PC/X1 gamer. It's just a fact, all those pretty games are no good. If they just focus on building the game and rendering as much as possible we can get next gen experiences. The X1 is weaker, I never denied that or was I arguing it at any point. That is you being defensive about your console.

The X1 is weaker, but not to the point to matter. Playing both you couldn't tell there was a power difference, Ryse is still the best looking game imo. The resolution is sometimes lower on the X1 but that isn't always the case, a lot are even at 1080p. The PS4 can squeeze some extra eye candy here and there, but it just isn't all that important to the gameplay experience. There will never be a game on the PS4 that is impossible on the X1, gameplay wise. They turn the shadows from high to medium and it will run. Its one graphics setting, sometimes a couple of frames per second. I mean we have seen instances of greater disparity but that was before the power boost and other optimizations.

The GPU is slower, but the ram isn't a factor (DDR3 ram +ESram is a good combo), and the x1 has a slightly faster CPU. You're not factoring in system design and architecture, which can make all the difference. The iPhone is usually weaker spec'd than other phones but always wins in benchmarks. B-b-b-but how is that possible...the numbers are bigger!?!? Yeah but the iPhone is optimized better.

That's not to say the PS4 is poorly optimized or anything, but factoring in a bunch of engineering that you certainly don't understand, the real world results are nearly identical. There is no game that proves the PS4 can do anything special that the X1 cannot.