My two biggest gripes with PC gaming

• 120 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nismo8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 nismo8000
Member since 2007 • 1000 Posts
[QUOTE="MBirdy88"]Doesnt want to enjoy games because cant make a quick buck off them afterwards, stop beating about the bush. nothing to do with personal principles at all, its all about the money, consumers like to play the victim card when they are exactly the f****** same. Consumers forget that a company is a living group of consumers just like themselves. Meanwhile these team of artists, programmers and everything else in-between are slaving away with horrible crunch hours in a job industry where its "all or nothing", lay offs often ect due to lack of serious profit outside of blockbuster titles take great risk and earn less. Who would I rather buy from? the highly skilled work of programmers and artists, or just the middleman nothing sales assistants (and I should know, Im currently one of them, peice of **** of a job.)? Being a consumor does not mean a business should bend over backwards for you, people seem to forget this. All because the almighty self-entitled consumer wishes do go to a middle man sales assistant and trade thier game in for a fraction of its worth back.

church
Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts
[QUOTE="nismo8000"][QUOTE="MBirdy88"]Doesnt want to enjoy games because cant make a quick buck off them afterwards, stop beating about the bush. nothing to do with personal principles at all, its all about the money, consumers like to play the victim card when they are exactly the f****** same. Consumers forget that a company is a living group of consumers just like themselves. Meanwhile these team of artists, programmers and everything else in-between are slaving away with horrible crunch hours in a job industry where its "all or nothing", lay offs often ect due to lack of serious profit outside of blockbuster titles take great risk and earn less. Who would I rather buy from? the highly skilled work of programmers and artists, or just the middleman nothing sales assistants (and I should know, Im currently one of them, peice of **** of a job.)? Being a consumor does not mean a business should bend over backwards for you, people seem to forget this. All because the almighty self-entitled consumer wishes do go to a middle man sales assistant and trade thier game in for a fraction of its worth back.

church

... church? :P
starjet905

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 starjet905
Member since 2005 • 2078 Posts
stop being a cheapskate a 5750 is unacceptable these days unless you're still at school with no personal income.SamiRDuran
This kinda morons are what makes me ashamed of the PC fanbase sometimes.
nismo8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 nismo8000
"church" is ebonics for "what this guy said"
nismo8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 nismo8000

[QUOTE="SamiRDuran"]stop being a cheapskate a 5750 is unacceptable these days unless you're still at school with no personal income.starjet905

seeing as how a competent GPU only costs what 2 new release console games costs, i agree with him. what if a new 360 only cost $120 and people were crying about having to upgrade every 3 years or so? that would get annoying.

xxxLUGZxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 xxxLUGZxxx
Member since 2011 • 511 Posts

Doesnt want to enjoy games because cant make a quick buck off them afterwards, stop beating about the bush. nothing to do with personal principles at all, its all about the money, consumers like to play the victim card when they are exactly the f****** same. Consumers forget that a company is a living group of consumers just like themselves. Meanwhile these team of artists, programmers and everything else in-between are slaving away with horrible crunch hours in a job industry where its "all or nothing", lay offs often ect due to lack of serious profit outside of blockbuster titles take great risk and earn less. Who would I rather buy from? the highly skilled work of programmers and artists, or just the middleman nothing sales assistants (and I should know, Im currently one of them, peice of **** of a job.)? Being a consumor does not mean a business should bend over backwards for you, people seem to forget this. All because the almighty self-entitled consumer wishes do go to a middle man sales assistant and trade thier game in for a fraction of its worth back.MBirdy88

Um, except that business are SUPPOSED to bend over backwards for the consumers. We're the sole reason they exist.

And I've yet to even beat Skyrim, nor get very far into it...I just didn't like it and now I'm stuck with it. Had I bought the same damn game on my PS3, I could have sold/traded it a long time ago.

If I want to go to gamespot and sell my copy of Skyrim for cheap, that should be MY choice...but for some reason PC developers don't seem to think I should get that choice. It's a good thing other industries haven't taken this stance with their products, otherwise I wouldn't have my car, my second monitor, my desk I'm currently using, the shorts I'm wearing right now, the couch my family uses, the house I'm currently living in, or any number of other used products.

PC gaming is anti-consumer, regardless of whatever spin you want to throw on it.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#57 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Expensive... nah.. I have spent more money this gen on each my 360 and PS3 then I have on my PC. And guess what.... I have bought over 250 more games for PC then I have ps3 and 360 combined!

PC gaming in the end is cheaper then console gaming. Cheaper games (steam sales),etc..

Plus you dont have to upgrade every month, you can go 4-5 years with only upgrading your GPU and be fine.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

[QUOTE="MBirdy88"]Doesnt want to enjoy games because cant make a quick buck off them afterwards, stop beating about the bush. nothing to do with personal principles at all, its all about the money, consumers like to play the victim card when they are exactly the f****** same. Consumers forget that a company is a living group of consumers just like themselves. Meanwhile these team of artists, programmers and everything else in-between are slaving away with horrible crunch hours in a job industry where its "all or nothing", lay offs often ect due to lack of serious profit outside of blockbuster titles take great risk and earn less. Who would I rather buy from? the highly skilled work of programmers and artists, or just the middleman nothing sales assistants (and I should know, Im currently one of them, peice of **** of a job.)? Being a consumor does not mean a business should bend over backwards for you, people seem to forget this. All because the almighty self-entitled consumer wishes do go to a middle man sales assistant and trade thier game in for a fraction of its worth back.xxxLUGZxxx

Um, except that business are SUPPOSED to bend over backwards for the consumers. We're the sole reason they exist.

And I've yet to even beat Skyrim, nor get very far into it...I just didn't like it and now I'm stuck with it. Had I bought the same damn game on my PS3, I could have sold/traded it a long time ago.

If I want to go to gamespot and sell my copy of Skyrim for cheap, that should be MY choice...but for some reason PC developers don't seem to think I should get that choice. It's a good thing other industries haven't taken this stance with their products, otherwise I wouldn't have my car, my second monitor, my desk I'm currently using, the shorts I'm wearing right now, the couch my family uses, the house I'm currently living in, or any number of other used products.

PC gaming is anti-consumer, regardless of whatever spin you want to throw on it.

Oh please shut up with the "Car Analogies" when your console games cant even be returned after use meanwhile millions of other products can. Software has the same returns policies as food for gods sake.... everything is different, comparable analogies across types of products is pointless. Fact is without that CD KEY protection piracy would of been an even bigger issue. Hence why Console manufacturers and publishers are looking at ways to do the exact same thing as STEAM, Im guessing you will need a new hobby soon my freind. and NO, Business's are obligated to try thier best within boundaries to satisfy thier consumers, not bend over backwards AT THE EXPENSE OF THE BUSINESS, as that doesn't make any sense what so ever. and please get off your high horse, Consumers and Business need each other just as much. "WAAAH I WANT TO PLAY MY GAMES THEN RETURN THEM FOR MONEY AT A STORE AT THE EXPENSE OF THE DEVELOPERS, DESPITE PLAYING THE GAME A GOOD NUMBER OF HOURS". Dont care if you hate or didnt finish skyrim, if you feel that way then A) Research better before buying B) Try the game by means of a demo, sample or at a freinds before purchasing. Its like the idiots that I get in the shop no and then trying to return gift food ..... facepalm worthy. You cant sell on any other software on computers, why are games an exception? (Trying selling adobe stuff on :lol:)
Avatar image for The_Gaming_Baby
The_Gaming_Baby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

User Lists: 52

#59 The_Gaming_Baby
Member since 2010 • 6425 Posts

The cheaper prices of games on places like Steam justify paying for an upgrade to your pc, which I tend to do every 5 years.

And a lot of the games I buy are so much cheaper than a used game would be on a console

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

[QUOTE="MBirdy88"]Doesnt want to enjoy games because cant make a quick buck off them afterwards, stop beating about the bush. nothing to do with personal principles at all, its all about the money, consumers like to play the victim card when they are exactly the f****** same. Consumers forget that a company is a living group of consumers just like themselves. Meanwhile these team of artists, programmers and everything else in-between are slaving away with horrible crunch hours in a job industry where its "all or nothing", lay offs often ect due to lack of serious profit outside of blockbuster titles take great risk and earn less. Who would I rather buy from? the highly skilled work of programmers and artists, or just the middleman nothing sales assistants (and I should know, Im currently one of them, peice of **** of a job.)? Being a consumor does not mean a business should bend over backwards for you, people seem to forget this. All because the almighty self-entitled consumer wishes do go to a middle man sales assistant and trade thier game in for a fraction of its worth back.xxxLUGZxxx

This is the kind of self entitlement that is rampant in the gaming community now. They want everything for nothing.

If you didn't like Skyrim you should have bought on impulse then. Waiting a few weeks and watching videos would give you a feel for exactly how the game is and given you an impression.

xxxLUGZxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 xxxLUGZxxx

[QUOTE="xxxLUGZxxx"]

[QUOTE="MBirdy88"]Doesnt want to enjoy games because cant make a quick buck off them afterwards, stop beating about the bush. nothing to do with personal principles at all, its all about the money, consumers like to play the victim card when they are exactly the f****** same. Consumers forget that a company is a living group of consumers just like themselves. Meanwhile these team of artists, programmers and everything else in-between are slaving away with horrible crunch hours in a job industry where its "all or nothing", lay offs often ect due to lack of serious profit outside of blockbuster titles take great risk and earn less. Who would I rather buy from? the highly skilled work of programmers and artists, or just the middleman nothing sales assistants (and I should know, Im currently one of them, peice of **** of a job.)? Being a consumor does not mean a business should bend over backwards for you, people seem to forget this. All because the almighty self-entitled consumer wishes do go to a middle man sales assistant and trade thier game in for a fraction of its worth back.seanmcloughlin

This is the kind of self entitlement that is rampant in the gaming community now. They want everything for nothing.

If you didn't like Skyrim you should have bought on impulse then. Waiting a few weeks and watching videos would give you a feel for exactly how the game is and given you an impression.

How is me wanting to have the ability to trade the games I paid for wanting something for nothing? I seem to remember paying $49.99 for Skyrim, so I got **** for nothing.

Oh well, I guess you have no interest in PC gaming being consumer friendly....and the publishers love your complacent attitude.

And yes, as a consumer, I feel entitled to 100% satisfaction. My dollars are bankrolling these big businesses...without my money they would be nothing. So yes, having high expectations is my duty as a consumer. In fact, the country developing such low expectations is a large reason why we're at the mercy of business, instead of it being the other way around like it should be.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="xxxLUGZxxx"]

xxxLUGZxxx

How is me wanting to have the ability to trade the games I paid for wanting something for nothing? I seem to remember paying $49.99 for Skyrim, so I got **** for nothing.

Oh well, I guess you have no interest in PC gaming being consumer friendly....and the publishers love your complacent attitude.

And yes, as a consumer, I feel entitled to 100% satisfaction. My dollars are bankrolling these big businesses...without my money they would be nothing. So yes, having high expectations is my duty as a consumer. In fact, the country developing such low expectations is a large reason why we're at the mercy of business, instead of it being the other way around like it should be.

With PC Gaming I purchase a CD key, this cd key will mean I can play that game forever into the future (As every single game can be downloaded somewhere or other) .... what happens when I lose a console game? oh right I have to go buy a complete new copy because there is no licensing system in place to allow me to keep a hold of the license i payed for. Read the terms and conditions of software..... a licensed copy is to you and you alone. Video games on consoles have always been the one exception and they are looking at ways to prevent that now as well. There is a difference between "Consumer Freindly" and your personal desire to make money back on products you have used short or long term, wake up to the reality its a kick in the balls to have someone buy your product, use it alot, then trade it in so they lose a brand new customer to the middle men. If your honest you can always sell your CD Key, trouble is its hard to find honest people to do that with.
xxxLUGZxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 xxxLUGZxxx

[QUOTE="xxxLUGZxxx"]

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

MBirdy88

With PC Gaming I purchase a CD key, this cd key will mean I can play that game forever into the future (As every single game can be downloaded somewhere or other) .... what happens when I lose a console game? oh right I have to go buy a complete new copy because there is no licensing system in place to allow me to keep a hold of the license i payed for. Read the terms and conditions of software..... a licensed copy is to you and you alone. Video games on consoles have always been the one exception and they are looking at ways to prevent that now as well. There is a difference between "Consumer Freindly" and your personal desire to make money back on products you have used short or long term, wake up to the reality its a kick in the balls to have someone buy your product, use it alot, then trade it in so they lose a brand new customer to the middle men. If your honest you can always sell your CD Key, trouble is its hard to find honest people to do that with.

So I guess EVERY other industry hs to deal with a used market, but somehow games are different? And a game cannot become used unless it was purchased new initially. Once that purchase occurs, that's all the developer is entitled to...they've made their money on that CD key, what I do with it afterwards is none of their god damn business.

But they've convinced a good amount of people that you shouldn't be able to do what you want wiith a product you purchased. I'll pray for all those sheeple buying into that crap.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#64 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

There is no such thing as used software on the PC. That's how it's always been. Deal with it.

It's not greed, it's business. It's not anti-consumer at all. It eliminates a market that doesn't benifit the developers of software in ANY way at all.

Wasdie

Gamestop use to sell used PC games, also I got Diablo 2 and Warcraft 3 + TfT at a swap meat waaaay back in the day.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

[QUOTE="MBirdy88"][QUOTE="xxxLUGZxxx"]

xxxLUGZxxx

So I guess EVERY other industry hs to deal with a used market, but somehow games are different? And a game cannot become used unless it was purchased new initially. Once that purchase occurs, that's all the developer is entitled to...they've made their money on that CD key, what I do with it afterwards is none of their god damn business.

But they've convinced a good amount of people that you shouldn't be able to do what you want wiith a product you purchased. I'll pray for all those sheeple buying into that crap.

The fact that you say EVERY other shows how little you know. and the concept that you think every product should be treated in the same way because its convenient for you also displays your self-entitlement issues.
xxxLUGZxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 xxxLUGZxxx

[QUOTE="xxxLUGZxxx"]

[QUOTE="MBirdy88"] With PC Gaming I purchase a CD key, this cd key will mean I can play that game forever into the future (As every single game can be downloaded somewhere or other) .... what happens when I lose a console game? oh right I have to go buy a complete new copy because there is no licensing system in place to allow me to keep a hold of the license i payed for. Read the terms and conditions of software..... a licensed copy is to you and you alone. Video games on consoles have always been the one exception and they are looking at ways to prevent that now as well. There is a difference between "Consumer Freindly" and your personal desire to make money back on products you have used short or long term, wake up to the reality its a kick in the balls to have someone buy your product, use it alot, then trade it in so they lose a brand new customer to the middle men. If your honest you can always sell your CD Key, trouble is its hard to find honest people to do that with.MBirdy88

The fact that you say EVERY other shows how little you know. and the concept that you think every product should be treated in the same way because its convenient for you also displays your self-entitlement issues.

So what other industries don't have a used market? Yeah, I guess I can't go and take a half eaten appel and get my money back....you win there. But outside of food(a silly argument anyway), what else? the software industry is about he online one that believes their products shouldn't be subject to the used market...and it's reasons are completely anti-consumer, nothing else.

Fine, require a CD key to activate a game or whatever. But also give me the ability to DEACTIVATE my game, and trade/sell tha CD key. No piracy ensues, the developers still got their original sale, and that CD Key is still only being used by one person. But that's to the benefit of the consumer, and we can't have that can we?

Microsoft1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#67 Microsoft1234
Member since 2006 • 7683 Posts
used games isn't a big issue on pc because of steam. new games are really low. You should definitely buy from there.
SciFiRPGfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 SciFiRPGfan
Member since 2010 • 694 Posts

Oh please shut up with the "Car Analogies" when your console games cant even be returned after use meanwhile millions of other products can. Software has the same returns policies as food for gods sake.... everything is different, comparable analogies across types of products is pointless.MBirdy88

And why would that be (aside from the fact that publishers and stores made it that way and got away with it)? After supposed use (after opening or leaving in open for a while), the food may start decomposing or decaying or... It simply starts changing its characteristics and losing its original purpose. But what happens to used software? Would it be less functional or something?

Fact is without that CD KEY protection piracy would of been an even bigger issue. Hence why Console manufacturers and publishers are looking at ways to do the exact same thing as STEAM, Im guessing you will need a new hobby soon my freind. and NO, Business's are obligated to try thier best within boundaries to satisfy thier consumers, not bend over backwards AT THE EXPENSE OF THE BUSINESS, as that doesn't make any sense what so ever. and please get off your high horse, Consumers and Business need each other just as much. "WAAAH I WANT TO PLAY MY GAMES THEN RETURN THEM FOR MONEY AT A STORE AT THE EXPENSE OF THE DEVELOPERS, DESPITE PLAYING THE GAME A GOOD NUMBER OF HOURS". Dont care if you hate or didnt finish skyrim, if you feel that way then A) Research better before buying B) Try the game by means of a demo, sample or at a freinds before purchasing. Its like the idiots that I get in the shop no and then trying to return gift food ..... facepalm worthy. You cant sell on any other software on computers, why are games an exception? (Trying selling adobe stuff on :lol:)

As much as you have a point about companies not giving a damn about what individual consumers think, he is doing one of the few things that are available to him and that may be at least symbolically efficient - publically pointing out disadvantages or shortcomings of certain products or, in this case business practicess and giving examples of companies, that are doing something better (at least according to him).

He may not appeal to you, but he may influence somebody else, or spurr broader discussion about the topic - about advantages and disadvantages of respective selling methods.

It is not a question of (self) entitlement, it is a question of comparing two or more business practices (or their variations) and discussing what are their advantages or disadvantages and what could be improved or not. If that's entitlement, then he is indeed entitled to do it (there's no legal and I dare say even moral impediment of such conduct).

Edit: seems like my point about food has been already used, so you can address it by replying to xxxLUGZxxx.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="MBirdy88"][QUOTE="xxxLUGZxxx"]

xxxLUGZxxx

The company made the money on that CD key,sure. But by you trading it in it means that another person is going to buy it from a middle man,and they trade in it and another buys it and so on, cutting the funding to the publishers. Thus stopping them being able to pump lots of money into dev companies to make newer and better games.

Let's say, If there was no second hand market then the other person who wanted the game would have to buy it new thus generating more money to the publisher so that's two customers instead of the one it would have if you traded it in

Avatar image for Raymundo_Manuel
Raymundo_Manuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Raymundo_Manuel
Member since 2010 • 4641 Posts

I bought a PC that can play everything for $600 in 2009, and I bought 150 games for it for around $500.

It's pretty much made used games a non-issue for me when I can game so cheaply without them.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#71 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

I bought a PC that can play everything for $600 in 2009, and I bought 150 games for it for around $500.

It's pretty much made used games a non-issue for me when I can game so cheaply without them.

Raymundo_Manuel
Yeah most games on Steam are so dirt cheap that you don't even notice bad/short games.
Avatar image for Stalkerfieldsis
Stalkerfieldsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Stalkerfieldsis
Member since 2011 • 659 Posts

Short and simple:

Cost: Yes, PC gaming is more expensive, so it causes issues with my performance at times. I'm still rocking a 5750, and would like to upgrade, but I just can't justify spending nearly $200 just for an upgrade...and that's not including my wifes PC that I would also upgrade.

No used games: There's no reason why I shouldn't be able to sell my used PC games. For example, I picked up Skyrim awhile back, but just couldn't get into it. Now I'm stuck with a $60 game that's going to rot on my steam account. Why can't I deactivate the game via Steam and trade it to someone? There's only ONE reason: greed. It's completely anti-consumer, and really makes me hesitant to buy many PC games.

Those two reasons alone are why I still lean towards console gaming as the best USER experience, because it's more consumer friendly. They're also why I love Blizzard games, because I never have to worry about their games sucking, and I know my budget PC will be able to get tons of performance out of their games.

xxxLUGZxxx

1.) It's not that there isn't a used market for PC games, its that there isn't a used market for digitally downloaded games, I can trade a retail PC game, but not a digital one, same with consoles, I can't trade my copy of Crackdown I downloaded from Xbox Live.

2.) Upgrading is not a PC exclusive problem, let's say you and your wife owned Xbox 360's (two of them), you wanna play new games when the new Xbox comes out, guess what? You would have to pay hundreds to upgrade both of your console game experiences. This is especially relevant considering that a good PC will last almost a whole console generation without needinng an upgrade.

Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#73 Masenkoe
Member since 2007 • 4897 Posts

op is just mad because he bought something he didn't like. It happens to all of us man, I've bought lots of crap over the years. Only one crap game from Steam but it was on sale for $10 you live and learn. DO MORE RESEARCH. enough is never enough.

nunovlopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 nunovlopes
Member since 2009 • 2638 Posts

[QUOTE="ZombieKiller7"]

Hate to say but piracy is the original solution to "but what if I don't like the game?"

Yeah that's why you pirate it first, check it out, then if you like it you buy it.

Imagine if you were expected to buy songs but couldn't hear them first.

"Pay me $2 for this song." But but....can I hear it? "No, that's illegal."

That's PC gaming in a nutshell and why it has never really took off in a mass consumer way.

Because it doesn't serve mass consumer needs to sample what they're buying.

"Buy this shoe, but you can't try it on first."

What???

"Buy this prosciotto but you can't have a taste."

What???

PC devs are basically capitalist dumbasses who think f*cking over their customers is more profitable than serving them.

Crazyguy105

Good God. LOL

That's actually very true. And I don't usually agree with ZombieKiller posts.

MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#75 MK-Professor
Member since 2009 • 4214 Posts

[QUOTE="SamiRDuran"]stop being a cheapskate a 5750 is unacceptable these days unless you're still at school with no personal income.starjet905

he is telling the truth :?

I guess telling the truth makes you moron in this forums...

Stalkerfieldsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Stalkerfieldsis

[QUOTE="Crazyguy105"]

[QUOTE="ZombieKiller7"]

Hate to say but piracy is the original solution to "but what if I don't like the game?"

Yeah that's why you pirate it first, check it out, then if you like it you buy it.

That's PC gaming in a nutshell and why it has never really took off in a mass consumer way.

What???

What???

PC devs are basically capitalist dumbasses who think f*cking over their customers is more profitable than serving them.

nunovlopes

Good God. LOL

That's true, and a good solution would be if most digital distributors like Steam allowed ALL of their games to have a trial, like Onlive or Xbox live arcade games, you could have a time-limited access to the full game, then you could buy it to own it permanently and to get full access to the game files for modding. That way, the only people who would pirate are the actual a-holes who would just steal games indiscriminately, and maybe people in countries with no access to the game.

nunovlopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 nunovlopes
Member since 2009 • 2638 Posts

[QUOTE="nunovlopes"]

[QUOTE="Crazyguy105"]

Good God. LOL

Stalkerfieldsis

That's true, and a good solution would be if most digital distributors like Steam allowed ALL of their games to have a trial, like Onlive or Xbox live arcade games, you could have a time-limited access to the full game, then you could buy it to own it permanently and to get full access to the game files for modding. That way, the only people who would pirate are the actual a-holes who would just steal games indiscriminately, and maybe people in countries with no access to the game.

Precisely.

Developers probably think that demos are not a good idea because you might try a demo, don't like the game and don't buy it. If you don't have demos some people will be lured into buying not knowing if they'll like it or not. Of course they're idiots because people that genuinely want to try the game first will find a way, aka piracy.

SciFiRPGfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 SciFiRPGfan
Member since 2010 • 694 Posts

The company made the money on that CD key,sure. But by you trading it in it means that another person is going to buy it from a middle man,and they trade in it and another buys it and so on, cutting the funding to the publishers. Thus stopping them being able to pump lots of money into dev companies to make newer and better games.

Let's say, If there was no second hand market then the other person who wanted the game would have to buy it new thus generating more money to the publisher so that's two customers instead of the one it would have if you traded it inseanmcloughlin

O.K. even if I would subscribe to the idea, that I as a consumer, should somehow care about well-being of gaming companies (which I don't have to in the first place, albeit I do in case of some companies), there is the other side of the equation which is as unknown as your example.

And that is... The fact, that no one could resell their games could very well mean, that less people would actually be willing to buy the game in the first place, because many of them would simply not be willing to risk, that they will not like it. Especially in the first weeks when the prices of games are highest. Now I don't know the exact refunding mechanisms, since I am mostly a PC gamer who prefers physical sales and my local stores do not offer such services anyway, so I don't know how much money are companies loosing because of returned games, if any at all, but it is safe to presume, that at least part of the people who were encouraged to buy the game by the fact, that they could return it if they wanted, will actually keep it. And those could be the sales that would have never happened in your original scenario.

So, it is not so one sided. But in general, these assumptions (both mine and yours) are too hypothetical and too unfounded to actually work as compelling arguments.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

Let's say, If there was no second hand market then the other person who wanted the game would have to buy it new thus generating more money to the publisher so that's two customers instead of the one it would have if you traded it inSciFiRPGfan

O.K. even if I would subscribe to the idea, that I as a consumer, should somehow care about well-being of gaming companies (which I don't have to in the first place, albeit I do in case of some companies), there is the other side of the equation which is as unknown as your example.

And that is... The fact, that no one could resell their games could very well mean, that less people would actually be willing to buy the game in the first place, because many of them would simply not be willing to risk, that they will not like it. Especially in the first weeks when the prices of games are highest. Now I don't know the exact refunding mechanisms, since I am mostly a PC gamer who prefers physical sales and my local stores do not offer such services anyway, so I don't know how much money are companies loosing because of returned games, if any at all, but it is safe to presume, that at least part of the people who were encouraged to buy the game by the fact, that they could return it if they wanted, will actually keep it. And those could be the sales that would have never happened in your original scenario.

So, it is not so one sided. But in general, these assumptions (both mine and yours) are too hypothetical and too unfounded to actually work as compelling arguments.

I agree to that. I am not going to pretend I know all the ins and outs of a business.

My solution is reduce the price of games so that people will buy them first hand more. Although that probably wouldn't work either because, like you said, they still won't take the risk

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#80 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts
Quick thought...$200 video card is like getting a new console for you!
Stalkerfieldsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Stalkerfieldsis

Quick thought...$200 video card is like getting a new console for you!demi0227_basic

Pretty much, $2-$500 console every 5 years or so = $2-500 PC upgrade every 5 years or so

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="TheShadowLord07"]oh yes there is. any game doesnt require steam,orign, or gfwl can be bought used.

Wasdie

Yep, I've bought used PC games on Amazon

Then you go to play it and the guy is still using the CD key online and you can't play, or the CD key was tied to an online account years ago rendering half the game uselesss.

The secondhand market on the PC is tiny and has been full of annoyances from day one.

well thats because the anti pirating methods tie software to users, and face it, cdkeys and drm are only a hassle to people that buy the game,
savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts

[QUOTE="demi0227_basic"]Quick thought...$200 video card is like getting a new console for you!Stalkerfieldsis

Pretty much, $2-$500 console every 5 years or so = $2-500 PC upgrade every 5 years or so

yah but when you need a new mobo... then thats when people say **** it and get a console.

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="TheShadowLord07"]oh yes there is. any game doesnt require steam,orign, or gfwl can be bought used.

Wasdie

Yep, I've bought used PC games on Amazon

Then you go to play it and the guy is still using the CD key online and you can't play, or the CD key was tied to an online account years ago rendering half the game uselesss.

The secondhand market on the PC is tiny and has been full of annoyances from day one.

it has its uses though. like buying system shock 1& 2,nolf 1 & 2, and avp 2

Evo_nine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Evo_nine
Member since 2012 • 2224 Posts
PC gaming is also very uncomfortable. You forgot that op.
Stalkerfieldsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Stalkerfieldsis

[QUOTE="Stalkerfieldsis"]

[QUOTE="demi0227_basic"]Quick thought...$200 video card is like getting a new console for you!savagetwinkie

yah but when you need a new mobo... then thats when people say **** it and get a console.

Huh? That's hardly the most expensive piece of upgrade, nor is it particularly expensive at all.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26652 Posts
And neither of them bother me. Cheerio, chap!
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#88 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts
PC gaming is also very uncomfortable. You forgot that op. Evo_nine
How so?D=
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
I'd say the technical problems that come with computing; be it hardware or software. But those are fair enough points.
zeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#90 zeta
Member since 2003 • 1189 Posts
PC gaming is also very uncomfortable. You forgot that op. Evo_nine
What do you have, a tack-laced stool? Or do you assume that everyone is uncomfortable when playing on the PC?
Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#91 Masenkoe
Member since 2007 • 4897 Posts

[QUOTE="Evo_nine"]PC gaming is also very uncomfortable. You forgot that op. zeta
What do you have, a tack-laced stool? Or do you assume that everyone is uncomfortable when playing on the PC?

inb4 can't play on couch

zeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#92 zeta
Member since 2003 • 1189 Posts

[QUOTE="zeta"][QUOTE="Evo_nine"]PC gaming is also very uncomfortable. You forgot that op. Masenkoe

inb4 can't play on couch

Wasn't too sure if I wanted to mention that I do play some PC games on my couch...considering what I use for my monitor. ..but seeing as console-only fanDERPS want to keep poking that scab with a stick, I just never bother mentioning it. :lol:
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

What???

What???

ZombieKiller7
Actually, Windows PC is the largest gaming platform that includes mass consumer/casual gaming.
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 ronvalencia

[QUOTE="Crazyguy105"]

[QUOTE="ZombieKiller7"]

What???

What???

nunovlopes

Good God. LOL

Via statistics, that's actually very wrong.

gaming_platform_1.png

internalPageDocumentation_01.jpg

pcgaming610.jpg

MS Windows PC actually is the mainstream computer.

2011 data http://newzoo.com/templates/dispatcher.asp?page_id=1589

Gamers per platforms:

Social networks: 76 Million

Casual websites: 115 Million

Mobile devices: 75 Million

MMO games: 52 Million

Console games: 82 Million

PC/Mac boxed: 71 Million

PC/Mac download: 73 Million

Newzoo_us_grijs_tn3.png

As single gaming platform, the PC is the largest platform.

Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Ravensmash
Member since 2010 • 13862 Posts

There is no such thing as used software on the PC. That's how it's always been. Deal with it.

It's not greed, it's business. It's not anti-consumer at all. It eliminates a market that doesn't benifit the developers of software in ANY way at all.

Wasdie
I actually agree with most of your point Wasdie, although the used market can help subsidise new purchases.
DethSkematik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

#96 DethSkematik
Member since 2008 • 3900 Posts
I'm pretty sure everyone's main gripe with PC gaming being unable to resell are s*** outta luck. Hell, I remember when PC gaming didn't even use DD you were still stuck with your games with activation keys (technically you could let someone borrow the game at the time if you still had the key because it was a time before your games were linked to an account, but stores wouldn't take them :P). Although personally I do love DD on PC. I mean, I was always baffled as to why I had to install the entire game on my computer, and still had to pop in the disc everytime I played (I know it's an anti-piracy measure, but I always found it to be an eye-rolling waste of time :P).
ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

Actually, Windows PC is the largest gaming platform that includes mass consumer/casual gaming. ronvalencia

I see the statistics but I don't see it in reality.

Mainly because statistics count people I don't consider to be gamers, much less PC gamers.

My girlfriend's not a gamer, she's on Facebook every night.

Statistics count her as a "mainstream PC gamer" because she plays Farmville.

And then there's millions of people who don't play anything other than WoW.

Meanwhile you go talk to people, nobody seems to PC game, the scene is just dead right now.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 ronvalencia

[QUOTE="ronvalencia"]Actually, Windows PC is the largest gaming platform that includes mass consumer/casual gaming. ZombieKiller7

Mainly because statistics count people I don't consider to be gamers, much less PC gamers.

Meanwhile you go talk to people, nobody seems to PC game, the scene is just dead right now.

Did you even read the second panel?

Casual website and social network gaming was separated from PC MMO, PC Box and PC DD.

The PC has $6.9 billion against 8.0 billion for entire consoles (Wii, Xbox 360, PS3). If we divide 8 billion into 3 consoles you get 2.67 billion.

Newzoo_us_grijs_tn3.png

For software ecosystem, MS DirectX platforms beats Wii/DS and PS3/PSP.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

[QUOTE="ronvalencia"]Actually, Windows PC is the largest gaming platform that includes mass consumer/casual gaming. ZombieKiller7

I also see a lot of kiddies who are limited to games like Plant and Zombies on the 360. They shouldn't be counted either then. I always saw a crowd gaming on laptops in the cafeteria during breaks last semester. PC gaming is very far from dead from where I am.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 ronvalencia

[QUOTE="ZombieKiller7"]

[QUOTE="ronvalencia"]Actually, Windows PC is the largest gaming platform that includes mass consumer/casual gaming. jun_aka_pekto

I also see a lot of kiddies who are limited to games like Plant and Zombies on the 360. They shouldn't be counted either then.

There's Kinect games on Xbox 360 or the entire Wii...