My two biggest gripes with PC gaming

• 120 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

xxxLUGZxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 xxxLUGZxxx
Member since 2011 • 511 Posts

Short and simple:

Cost: Yes, PC gaming is more expensive, so it causes issues with my performance at times. I'm still rocking a 5750, and would like to upgrade, but I just can't justify spending nearly $200 just for an upgrade...and that's not including my wifes PC that I would also upgrade.

No used games: There's no reason why I shouldn't be able to sell my used PC games. For example, I picked up Skyrim awhile back, but just couldn't get into it. Now I'm stuck with a $60 game that's going to rot on my steam account. Why can't I deactivate the game via Steam and trade it to someone? There's only ONE reason: greed. It's completely anti-consumer, and really makes me hesitant to buy many PC games.

Those two reasons alone are why I still lean towards console gaming as the best USER experience, because it's more consumer friendly. They're also why I love Blizzard games, because I never have to worry about their games sucking, and I know my budget PC will be able to get tons of performance out of their games.

Jane_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Jane_22
Member since 2011 • 678 Posts

No one force you to play on pc for other games, problem solved.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
I remember seeing a website that actually offered some money to buy back the game you bought from them
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#4 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

There is no such thing as used software on the PC. That's how it's always been. Deal with it.

It's not greed, it's business. It's not anti-consumer at all. It eliminates a market that doesn't benifit the developers of software in ANY way at all.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
Then either deal with it or go back to console gaming.
Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

There is no such thing as used software on the PC. That's how it's always been. Deal with it.

Wasdie

oh yes there is. any game doesnt require steam,orign, or gfwl can be bought used.

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

I get many games on console because if I don't like them I can sell, or just rent them.

I get some games on PC because they are timeless.

My plan originally was to get Skyrim on 360 first, then get it for PC when there's a GOTY edition with all DLC's, because I can sell the 360 version of Skyrim and get some money back, and have a timeless huge game on PC.

But then I got bored with Skyrim and think I'll just sell, or maybe just keep the console version and try to play occaisionally.

Anyway the point is it shouldn't be either/or.

You should be using both depending on the game and your mood.

I can't imagine life without a PC.

I've owned gaming PC's for 30+ years.

But at this point I've fallen in love with these little devices called consoles and prefer the gameplay in some cases.

So the answer is just have both.

The best faction is "manticore."

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ZombieKiller7

It's not greed, it's business. It's not anti-consumer at all. It eliminates a market that doesn't benifit the developers of software in ANY way at all.

Wasdie

Market exists to serve consumers.

If it don't serve consumers then it fails.

Hence piracy and irrelevance.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Like others have said deal with it and stop complaining or just play on consoles. PC gaming is expensive at times, not all the time. You don't need constant upgrades all the time like people think. It's the initial start up that costs the most, buying everything first time.

Also games are FAR cheaper than on consoles. It's ridiculous how cheap they are. Even at launch the PC version is cheaper. And we get constant sales all the time. So while the hardware is more expensive the games make up for it.

I personally love PC gaming a hell of a lot more than I did when I played on consoles.

Badosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 Badosh
Member since 2011 • 12774 Posts
Wahwah. Both trivial problems.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

TheShadowLord07

oh yes there is. any game doesnt require steam,orign, or gfwl can be bought used.

Yep, I've bought used PC games on Amazon

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

I never cared about re-selling the games i buy. And if i would want to play more than 5-6 games that need (not being able to play at anything but low at decent framerates) a upgrade, then i put my patience to work, save money and upgrade, thus i always find justification in upgrading. I don't got a problem with your inconvenience in those aspects tho, i believe it depends on the user. Perfectly natural.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

TheShadowLord07

That market is still dead. Most new releases all have a sort of DRM.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts
I don't see why you would want to upgrade from a 5750. It's a good card that will run all modern games at high settings/1080p.
Loegi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Loegi
Member since 2009 • 1692 Posts
PC gaming isn't that expensive. Especially considering games are cheaper. And the only reason why you want to sell used games, is because you bought a game you didn't want? Perhaps better research is a better alternative?

Also, lol at the blizdroneness.
nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts

Short and simple:

Don't buy games at launch. PC Games are already cheaper than console games and drop in price much faster. Right now Skyrim on Amazon costs 39 Euro for PC and 53 for PS3.

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ZombieKiller7

Hate to say but piracy is the original solution to "but what if I don't like the game?"

Yeah that's why you pirate it first, check it out, then if you like it you buy it.

Imagine if you were expected to buy songs but couldn't hear them first.

"Pay me $2 for this song." But but....can I hear it? "No, that's illegal."

That's PC gaming in a nutshell and why it has never really took off in a mass consumer way.

Because it doesn't serve mass consumer needs to sample what they're buying.

"Buy this shoe, but you can't try it on first."

What???

"Buy this prosciotto but you can't have a taste."

What???

PC devs are basically capitalist dumbasses who think f*cking over their customers is more profitable than serving them.

iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#18 iowastate
Member since 2004 • 7922 Posts

I didn't spend much more on my Windows 7 pc(Acer) than I did on my PS3. that was because I found it in a January sale at one of the big electronics markets that is known for large inventory and lower regular prices the after Christmas first of the year sales are legendary and you can find some great buys.

granted it isn't quite a high end gaming machine but it will play anything that doesn't require the best graphics card and I can pick up a new card for a decent price anytime I desire but since I still have games I haven't even started much less finished i'm in no hurry.

I really can't understand how anyone can call the PC an expensive system unless you fail to do any research before you make your purchases.

if you make any type of attempt you can buy a complete decent system for a good price and put together a great rig for a modest price.

the internet is loaded with instructions on how to assemble a PC on a budget

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts
I still lean towards console gaming as the best USER experience, because it's more consumer friendly.xxxLUGZxxx
I agree with you there. Still... dat graphix :p
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

[QUOTE="TheShadowLord07"]

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

seanmcloughlin

Then you go to play it and the guy is still using the CD key online and you can't play, or the CD key was tied to an online account years ago rendering half the game uselesss.

The secondhand market on the PC is tiny and has been full of annoyances from day one.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

Hate to say but piracy is the original solution to "but what if I don't like the game?"

Yeah that's why you pirate it first, check it out, then if you like it you buy it.

ZombieKiller7
The reality of piracy is that many pirates pirate games because they want to try it first before buying. If the game had a demo, a lot of people looking to try it out before buying would be satisfied. Sadly, many developers these days refuse to release demos with their games, resulting in impulse buys or increased piracy.
ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ZombieKiller7

[QUOTE="ZombieKiller7"]

princeofshapeir

The reality of piracy is that many pirates pirate games because they want to try it first before buying. If the game had a demo, a lot of people looking to try it out before buying would be satisfied. Sadly, many developers these days refuse to release demos with their games, resulting in impulse buys or increased piracy.

Yes

Also please re-read the rest of that post, I edited it.

I think it's relevant to this discussion.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

PC gaming is expensive but it is the next best thing if you're a madman and don't want a PS3. The no used games thing really doesn't bother me since on average I have paid about $10 for the 100+ games I have on Steam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="TheShadowLord07"]oh yes there is. any game doesnt require steam,orign, or gfwl can be bought used.

Wasdie

Then you go to play it and the guy is still using the CD key online and you can't play, or the CD key was tied to an online account years ago rendering half the game uselesss.

The secondhand market on the PC is tiny and has been full of annoyances from day one.

I have 5 used games bought from Amazon and have had no issues like that at all.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

seanmcloughlin

I think you can play online just fine as long as the original owner is not online. Happened with Diablo II, i borrowed it from my cousin, was always able to play online as long as he wasn't on. Vice versa aswell.

RobertBowen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 RobertBowen
Member since 2003 • 4094 Posts

Wasdie

I highlighted the part of your statement that is untrue. Pre 2000 just about any PC games could be sold second-hand.

Even during the years of CD keys, retail PC games could be sold used quite easily, although you were out of luck for multiplayer because the CD key would already be in use - but you could still play the SP of any game. There are a handful of older PC titles I've bought second-hand because they were 'out of print'.

That's not to say you could trade in PC games at game stores, but you could sell them on or buy them via a number of places. It's only since games required registration, and were tied to accounts, that selling them on became impossible.

So that's not how it's always been.

Avatar image for Jack-o-Thompson
Jack-o-Thompson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Jack-o-Thompson
Member since 2007 • 2166 Posts
Make a new steam account and buy the game on it, if you don't like the game you can sell the account, trade it, or give it away.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Lucianu

I think you can play online just fine as long as the original owner is not online. Happened with Diablo II, i borrowed it from my cousin, was always able to play online as long as he wasn't on. Vice versa aswell.

Maybe, But I have yet to run into an occurance like that yet

iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#29 iowastate
Member since 2004 • 7922 Posts

I respectfully disagree - my gaming on the PC has caused my wallet less damage than my PS3 gaming at least if you go by the average of cost per game and not total amount spent on all the games because I have way more PC games than PS3.

over all I still have more PS2 than any other games.

PS3 cost a fair amount because I bought the 160 gig fatboy at launch so PC at end of the year clearance sales was a comparable price

xxxLUGZxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 xxxLUGZxxx

But the developers are supposed to cater to OUR needs, not their's. It's OUR market as consumers, not their's. I think some people have just accepted that they're going to be taken advantage of as consumers.

Greed is the reason why I can't deactivate my Skyrim key, thus preventing me from playing it, and trading/selling it to someone else. Hell, I would even be happy with the ability to trade games on Steam...but as it stands now, unless it's a $5 Steam game, I'm not taking the chance.

Consoles seem to be doing fine with the ability to trade and sell used games, so I fail to see why PC games can't have the same freedom.

Anyway, I sitll like PC gaming, but I refuse to become a sole PC gamer until at least the used game issue is fixed. This is a big reason why I'll be using Onlive once I get my cable internet, since it allows me to actually rent PC games, a feature I feel is sorely lacking on the platform.

starjet905

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 starjet905
Member since 2005 • 2078 Posts
I don't see why you have to upgrade a 5750. I personally wouldn't. No used games is indeed a negative factor. But we have Steam sales and other DD deals like GreenManGaming.
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#32 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

Wasdie

Greenmangaming kind of has that, where you can trade your game in and buy more games off their site.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

cain006

Greenmangaming kind of has that, where you can trade your game in and buy more games off their site.

You usually get barely anything for the game though unfortunately. And it doesn't work with steam games

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#34 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts
I remember seeing a website that actually offered some money to buy back the game you bought from themMonsieurX
i think you mean greenmangaming. You can trade some of the games they offer for credit to buy other games. Its a great alternative DD site to steam
VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 VanDammFan
Member since 2009 • 4783 Posts

so basically im getting PC use to be for the people by the people...an open source for all to enjoy as they see fit...and NOW its being controlled by MS,Steam and other DRM issues that no longer cater to the people in a free open manner?AND consolelites are the ones that are supposedly getting the shaft?..humm..

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 189419841894
Member since 2012 • 108 Posts

Short and simple:

Cost: Yes, PC gaming is more expensive, so it causes issues with my performance at times. I'm still rocking a 5750, and would like to upgrade, but I just can't justify spending nearly $200 just for an upgrade...and that's not including my wifes PC that I would also upgrade.

No used games: There's no reason why I shouldn't be able to sell my used PC games. For example, I picked up Skyrim awhile back, but just couldn't get into it. Now I'm stuck with a $60 game that's going to rot on my steam account. Why can't I deactivate the game via Steam and trade it to someone? There's only ONE reason: greed. It's completely anti-consumer, and really makes me hesitant to buy many PC games.

Those two reasons alone are why I still lean towards console gaming as the best USER experience, because it's more consumer friendly. They're also why I love Blizzard games, because I never have to worry about their games sucking, and I know my budget PC will be able to get tons of performance out of their games.

xxxLUGZxxx
you can buy used pc games try amazon.com

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 189419841894
Member since 2012 • 108 Posts

Short and simple:

xxxLUGZxxx
modern games arent worth buying anyway.
metal_zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 metal_zombie
Member since 2004 • 2288 Posts
@TC that video card is not so bad u can still wait a little more. Try demos out if you not sure if you like the game
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

What do you need a used games market when the sales are so much better on the PC.

Also learn to shop for games. If you are patient you rarely have to pay full price for games. That way even if you don't like the game the sting is a lot less.

Vraeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Vraeth
Member since 2005 • 1208 Posts

Short and simple:

xxxLUGZxxx

I'm into console gaming, but your second point is invalid since PC games tend to become cheaper than console used games rapidly, not to mention Steam sales blow used game prices out of the ****ing water. So yeah, I guess you run into the occasional problem that you did with Skyrim, but if you'd waited maybe 12 months max you'd probably be able to pick it up for < $15.

ProjectPat187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ProjectPat187
Member since 2005 • 2178 Posts
well go back to your limited console with 2005 and 2006 graphics
Crazyguy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42 Crazyguy105
Member since 2009 • 9513 Posts

Imagine if you were expected to buy songs but couldn't hear them first.

"Pay me $2 for this song." But but....can I hear it? "No, that's illegal."

That's PC gaming in a nutshell and why it has never really took off in a mass consumer way.

Because it doesn't serve mass consumer needs to sample what they're buying.

"Buy this shoe, but you can't try it on first."

What???

"Buy this prosciotto but you can't have a taste."

What???

PC devs are basically capitalist dumbasses who think f*cking over their customers is more profitable than serving them.

ZombieKiller7

Good God. LOL

SamiRDuran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 SamiRDuran
Member since 2005 • 2758 Posts
stop being a cheapskate a 5750 is unacceptable these days unless you're still at school with no personal income.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

stop buying every game on release day, wait a bit, and before you know it, games are begging for your purchase with $5-20 price tags all over steam, amazon, greenmangaming, and gamersgate.

nismo8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 nismo8000
Member since 2007 • 1000 Posts

Wasdie

actually that's a lie since many games can be sold on the used market. i recently sold both NWN2 and the Witcher on ebay used and the people who received them had no problems installing them. so i'm not sure wth you're talking about. another example is the copy of diablo 2 i was given a few years ago. same story, works fine. not to mention half priced books has tons of used old pc games that are drm free or just require you to have the disc like borderlands and dragon age:origins.

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

Cost: It costs a lot, but on the long run the games are cheaper, so it's like this:

1 PC + 20 games = 800?

1 console + 20 games (all about 60?) = a lot more, I don't feel like doing math now

nismo8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 nismo8000
Member since 2007 • 1000 Posts

Cost: It costs a lot, but on the long run the games are cheaper, so it's like this:

1 PC + 20 games = 800?

1 console + 20 games (all about 60?) = a lot more, I don't feel like doing math now

tjricardo089

let me teach you a trick. if you are working with "big" round numbers like 20 and 60 you can drop the zeroes and then add them after. like this. 2*6=12, now we add the two zeroes we dropped earlier to get 1,200. now we add $200 for the price of the console and we get 1,400. usually i do that in my head, but i thought i'd show you the steps since you think it's tons of work to do 20*60 mental math style. public schools have failed you.

xxxLUGZxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 xxxLUGZxxx

My issue with buying isn't really about the price. I'm not looking to get new games for cheap, or simply not pay much for games. My issue is that I can't do what I want with MY property, i.e. Skyrim, which is complete and utter BS. Yes, the game developers have come up with a sneaky way to make it seem like it's not your property...but it is.

I should be able to trade my Skryim game to someone, and it pisses me off that I can't. Just something about that keeps me from fully buying into PC gaming. Which is probably why I've neglected my gaming PC by keeping that old 5750 in it for so long.

But probably in the next gen of gaming, when the new consoles are released, used games will be a thing of the past, and anti-consumer practices will now be an industry standard. Meh.

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

1 PC + 20 games = 800?

tjricardo089

at the same time remember game prices vary on both platforms :P thrifty gamers can build a good collection on the cheap especially the now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts
Doesnt want to enjoy games because cant make a quick buck off them afterwards, stop beating about the bush. nothing to do with personal principles at all, its all about the money, consumers like to play the victim card when they are exactly the f****** same. Consumers forget that a company is a living group of consumers just like themselves. Meanwhile these team of artists, programmers and everything else in-between are slaving away with horrible crunch hours in a job industry where its "all or nothing", lay offs often ect due to lack of serious profit outside of blockbuster titles take great risk and earn less. Who would I rather buy from? the highly skilled work of programmers and artists, or just the middleman nothing sales assistants (and I should know, Im currently one of them, peice of **** of a job.)? Being a consumor does not mean a business should bend over backwards for you, people seem to forget this. All because the almighty self-entitled consumer wishes do go to a middle man sales assistant and trade thier game in for a fraction of its worth back.