MS: Please support the ESRAM even though we are abandoning it. . . (Scorpio white papers reveal the sad truth)

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#551  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@Shewgenja said:
@Pedro said:
@oflow said:

All you need to know is cows will be like this when Scorpio comes out.

@kvally said:

http://gametransfers.com/xbox-chief-reiterates-that-project-scorpio-will-not-have-exclusive-games/

Xbox Chief reiterates that Project Scorpio will not have exclusive games

We all know ya'll will be hyping 360 games being added to BC after this thing comes out. Ya'll thought you were getting something. It's actually kinda funny.

The difference between Scorpio and XBO is like R9-390X OC at 1070 Mhz vs R7-360 at 853 Mhz.

R7-360 will run the same games as R9-390X OC but with significantly reduced resolution and graphics details.

XBO's Bonaire based GPU has DirectX12 Feature Level 12_0 which is the minimum for incoming Shader Model 6 support.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#552 kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

@Shewgenja said:
@Pedro said:
@oflow said:

@kvally said:

http://gametransfers.com/xbox-chief-reiterates-that-project-scorpio-will-not-have-exclusive-games/

We all know ya'll will be hyping 360 games being added to BC after this thing comes out. Ya'll thought you were getting something. It's actually kinda funny.

I applaud any BC we can get with Nintendo, PlayStation and Xbox. If it has it, sweet. If it doesn't, no big deal. I kept my Xbox 360 for my 360 games, but then when my games were made BC with my Xbox One, I just sold my 360. If my PS3 hadn't died, and if Sony added BC to the PS4, I would have done the same and sold off my PS3 when those games were made BC on the PS4. If they never made it to the PS4, I would have just retained my PS3. No matter, I ended up buying the Journey on my PS4, and The Last of Us for my PS4 (which I never got to finish on my PS3 because it had died). So I bought The Last of Us two times, but meh...it's worth it. I enjoy gaming, so I don't care if I spend extra money on the hobby.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#553 kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

@ronvalencia said:
@Shewgenja said:
@Pedro said:
@oflow said:

@kvally said:

The difference between Scorpio and XBO is like R9-390X OC at 1070 Mhz vs R7-360 at 853 Mhz.

R7-360 will run the same games as R9-390X OC but with significantly reduced resolution and graphics details.

XBO's Bonaire based GPU has DirectX12 Feature Level 12_0 which is the minimum for incoming Shader Model 6 support.

What on earth does that have to do with what Shewjenga said? It's like Shewjenga said "I love brown rice with soy sauce", and you replied with "paper cuts can be annoying when salted just right"

Da fuq?

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#554  Edited By ronvalencia

@04dcarraher said:

All I have to say is that an i7 at 2.2 ghz is still leagues better than a jaguar at 2.1 ghz..... you will not see the same results if you were running an AMD fx cpu or an i5....

I tested TW3 with my i5 4690k at 2ghz with my GTX 970 in Oxenfurt at the docks.

2ghz

4k -low 33 fps cpu 85% avg

4k -ultra 25 fps cpu 80% avg

4ghz

4k -low 33 fps cpu 60%

4k ultra 26 fps cpu 50%

So like I was saying if the cpu being used is 50% or more weaker than intel's performance per clock your going to bottleneck that type of gpu even if you make the game gpu bound. This is why we see these console games never able to keep a steady 30 fps when alot starts happening.

"This means developers will have to compromise specific features while providing upgrades like upscaled 4K 30FPS and native 1080p 60FPS in games, with certain effects like lighting, shadows, environmental features and more being scaled and dialed back. In fact, Digital Foundry notes that Rise of the Tomb Raider wasn't able to hit a consistent native 1080p 60FPS on the PS4 Pro due to CPU bottlenecks. This sets a disappointing precedent for other PS4 Pro upgrades, hinting we may not finally get native 1080p 60FPS in games after all."

Again, Scorpio's first party games was stated to render at native 4K just like R9-390X's results.

3 first party games established a reference GPU i.e. Scorpio being R9-390X like solution.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#555  Edited By ronvalencia

@kvally said:
@ronvalencia said:
@Shewgenja said:
@Pedro said:
@kvally said:

What on earth does that have to do with what Shewjenga said? It's like Shewjenga said "I love brown rice with soy sauce", and you replied with "paper cuts can be annoying when salted just right"

Da fuq?

My point was for "Xbox Chief reiterates that Project Scorpio will not have exclusive games".

During an interview with Windows Central, the head of Xbox platform, Mike Ybarra, gave some comments on Project Scorpio, mentioning again that the console will be “100% backwards compatible” with the Xbox One and that the system will not be exclusive.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#556 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

@ronvalencia said:

Again, Scorpio's first party games was stated to render at native 4K just like R9-390X's results.

3 first party games established a reference GPU i.e. Scorpio being R9-390X like solution.

just bringing up the what if another jaguar cpu rendition

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#557 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@dynamitecop said:

Jesus you people are incredibly ignorant and make the dumbest posts... Do you know absolutely nothing about CPU allocation and core performance related to resolution...

All of these tests and results you're posting are from 1080p resolution....

"1920x1080" "@1080p"

You're posting CPU results from a resolution where CPU performance is still of high import.. So obviously a more powerful per core Intel CPU is going to maintain its performance at a lower resolution... We're discussing 3K & 4K resolutions here which are three and four times higher where mostly any game becomes completely GPU bound, and you're using CPU tedious 1920x1080 resolution results as an some type of damning comparison, it's stupid beyond belief, I can't even believe you have the nerve to post this crap...

Just stupid... As resolution decreases a game engine becomes more and more CPU bound, the more you increase the resolution the more GPU bound it becomes and less dependent on CPU performance...

Rise of the Tomb Raider @ Very High settings @ 1920x1080 2.2Ghz 2600k...

62% CPU Usage...

Rise of the Tomb Raider @ Very High settings @ 3200x1800 2.2Ghz 2600k...

14% CPU Usage...

Please for the love of all that is holy, take a hike, you guys have no idea what you're talking about...

Want some more reality? I can do this all night.

STFU resolution is a fu**ing job of the GPU the CPU has shit to do with it,if you are CPU bottleneck rising or lowering resolution will not fix the problem,the reduce CPU show in higher resolution is do to the GPU being more taxed by the higher pixel count and having less resources.

Loading Video...

1080p vs 4k.

1080p has nothing to do with a CPU bound scenario buffoon,nothing at all the load the CPU is handling does,60FPS,many enemies on screen at once and many things at once as well.

@ronvalencia said:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/281742/Scorpio_will_render_Microsofts_firstparty_titles_in_native_4K.php

During an interview with USA Today, Microsoft Studios Publishing general manager Shannon Loftis explained all first-party games that launch during the Scorpio's lifecycle will be able to natively render at 4K on the high-end machine.

"Any games we're making that we're launching in the Scorpio time frame, we're making sure they can natively render at 4K," said Loftis, adding that Microsoft is looking at ways to bring VR experiences to the system.

Scorpio's first party games was stated to render at 4K just like R9-390X's results.

That link in nothing proves DF wrong,is an old link from last year DF article is from this year and quote MS own internal documents.

Even the pro can render native 4k it just depend on what game it is dude.

By the way any benchmark using an i7 and R390X invalidated your argument,there is no intel CPU inside scorpio.

Scorpio will use checkerboard rendering just like the pro so again it is just as half assed as the Pro is.... Deal with it.

@FLOPPAGE_50 said:

I mean, the PS4 Pro is in the same exact boat.

There's no Pro exclusives as there will be no Scorpio exclusives, since they're suppose to work with the OG consoles too.

and BC 360 games is a damn good deal, you call yourself a gamer but seem to bitch about fantastic gaming features.

Wrong... As the xbox one doesn't support VR and Scorpio does so any VR game out for Scorpio will not be on XBO and if the game is not on PC surely is an exclusive.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#558 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69488 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

Hmmm. I bough two PS2 games to play on my PS4 Pro. I guess I should yell at Sony for having PS2 games instead of PS3 games. Ok, noted.

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#559 FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts

@tormentos said:
@dynamitecop said:

Jesus you people are incredibly ignorant and make the dumbest posts... Do you know absolutely nothing about CPU allocation and core performance related to resolution...

"1920x1080" "@1080p"

You're posting CPU results from a resolution where CPU performance is still of high import.. So obviously a more powerful per core Intel CPU is going to maintain its performance at a lower resolution... We're discussing 3K & 4K resolutions here which are three and four times higher where mostly any game becomes completely GPU bound, and you're using CPU tedious 1920x1080 resolution results as an some type of damning comparison, it's stupid beyond belief, I can't even believe you have the nerve to post this crap...

Just stupid... As resolution decreases a game engine becomes more and more CPU bound, the more you increase the resolution the more GPU bound it becomes and less dependent on CPU performance...

62% CPU Usage...

14% CPU Usage...

Please for the love of all that is holy, take a hike, you guys have no idea what you're talking about...

STFU resolution is a fu**ing job of the GPU the CPU has shit to do with it,if you are CPU bottleneck rising or lowering resolution will not fix the problem,the reduce CPU show in higher resolution is do to the GPU being more taxed by the higher pixel count and having less resources.

Loading Video...

1080p vs 4k.

1080p has nothing to do with a CPU bound scenario buffoon,nothing at all the load the CPU is handling does,60FPS,many enemies on screen at once and many things at once as well.

@ronvalencia said:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/281742/Scorpio_will_render_Microsofts_firstparty_titles_in_native_4K.php

During an interview with USA Today, Microsoft Studios Publishing general manager Shannon Loftis explained all first-party games that launch during the Scorpio's lifecycle will be able to natively render at 4K on the high-end machine.

"Any games we're making that we're launching in the Scorpio time frame, we're making sure they can natively render at 4K," said Loftis, adding that Microsoft is looking at ways to bring VR experiences to the system.

Scorpio's first party games was stated to render at 4K just like R9-390X's results.

That link in nothing proves DF wrong,is an old link from last year DF article is from this year and quote MS own internal documents.

Even the pro can render native 4k it just depend on what game it is dude.

By the way any benchmark using an i7 and R390X invalidated your argument,there is no intel CPU inside scorpio.

Scorpio will use checkerboard rendering just like the pro so again it is just as half assed as the Pro is.... Deal with it.

@FLOPPAGE_50 said:

I mean, the PS4 Pro is in the same exact boat.

There's no Pro exclusives as there will be no Scorpio exclusives, since they're suppose to work with the OG consoles too.

and BC 360 games is a damn good deal, you call yourself a gamer but seem to bitch about fantastic gaming features.

Wrong... As the xbox one doesn't support VR and Scorpio does so any VR game out for Scorpio will not be on XBO and if the game is not on PC surely is an exclusive.

VR is a massive flop anyways, if SONYs VR is any indication, so I'd be glad not to have that trash.

@Pedro said:
@Shewgenja said:

Hmmm. I bough two PS2 games to play on my PS4 Pro. I guess I should yell at Sony for having PS2 games instead of PS3 games. Ok, noted.

That dude is a whiny punk, he claims to be a gamer but bitches at BC (no self respecting real gamer would complain about BC)

Not to mention, PS5 will most likely have BC and he'll be blowing SONY on his knees.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#560 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@FLOPPAGE_50: I'm "bitching" because BC is all ya'll got for the past couple of years. I'm also sure as sunshine that you didn't give a flying damn when the PS3 had BC.

But hey, if Scorpio shows up with new game anmouncements, I'll gladly eat crow.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#561  Edited By dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts

@tormentos said:
@dynamitecop said:

"1920x1080" "@1080p"

62% CPU Usage...

14% CPU Usage...

1080p vs 4k.

You are so not good at this, you're not educated about anything you're discussing and as such you post stupid ass videos like this...

The CPU usage is staying the same because the framerate is locked at 60 FPS for both 4K and 1080p... If you removed the cap the CPU usage at 1080p would skyrocket far beyond the uncapped 4K CPU usage, there's even a guy in the Youtube comments saying the same thing... "The FPS seems to be capped at 60"

Holy hell man, you are just so terrible at all of this, you should just deactivate your forum account and save us all the embarrassment...

Are you sweating yet? You should be.

P.S. Stop trying to warp this argument into something else you think you can win, you stated that Ultra settings compared to lower settings has a negative affect on the CPU, it doesn't, it doesn't do anything, changing the graphics settings does absolutely nothing, you're done, this conversation is over. I'm not going to further entertain this extended idiocy because you're wrong and have to change the topic to something else.

Remember this?

@dynamitecop said:
@tormentos said:
@ronvalencia said:

PC gaming doesn't require high end rig to be able to play all the games.

Again, Scorpio's estimate from 5.9 TFLOPS Radeon HD R9-390X results.

The graphics details from the above benchmarks are higher than XBO's graphics detail settings.

The difference between XBO and Scorpio is like R7-360 at 853 Mhz and R9-390X OC (6 TFLOPS, 1070 Mhz, 44 CU).

In terms of memory architecture, Scorpio is like XBO's 256 bit DDR3-2133Mhz scaled up to 384 bit GDDR5-7000 but without ESRAM. XBO without ESRAM usage has 7770 like results which may create a market need for hardware upgrade.

Hahahaahaa that one will be true when you show me Scorpio has a top of the line i7 like on those benchmarks.

DF article claim that Ryzen will not probably be on Scorpio,based on MS own document about CPU usage an warning,a 8 core Ryzen would need no such warnings,as 8 core dual thread is 16 threads is enough to drive that 6TF GPU,so from what i see either they are using Jaguar again or something like it.

Ultra requires a good CPU because not only it push higher quality it also draw more things which is a strain on the CPU.

So comparing the 390X PC using and i7 will not yield you the same results as Scorpio just because it has 6TF,i think that is why MS make the warnings about the cpu usage.

Is that a fact? You know shit all about CPU load or the effect GRAPHICAL (GPU bound) settings change CPU load...

Protip, they fucking don't.

Low to Ultra bears absolutely no CPU load changes, none, zero, it's all changed state on the GPU which only reflects a framerate difference and VRAM load differences, nothing is reflected on the CPU.

This was our "argument", and you got shut down with inarguable evidence, multiple times and decided to go on a shit posting fit to bring this conversation so off course it has nothing to do with the beginning point, take a walk.

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#562 FLOPPAGE_50

@Shewgenja said:

@FLOPPAGE_50: I'm "bitching" because BC is all ya'll got for the past couple of years. I'm also sure as sunshine that you didn't give a flying damn when the PS3 had BC.

uh, I still have my PS3 with BC, it's a fantastic feature.

and BC is still relatively "new".. not the past couple of years.

I know you're a huge Xbox hater, but don't call yourself a "true" gamer if you are a BC hater, BC is nothing but good.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#563 dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts

@FLOPPAGE_50 said:
@Shewgenja said:

I know you're a huge Xbox hater, but don't call yourself a "true" gamer if you are a BC hater, BC is nothing but good.

I still have my BC PlayStation 3 as well, just wondering when it's going to brick itself, it seems like an eventuality for all of them, I've been lucky I guess.

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#564 FLOPPAGE_50

@dynamitecop said:
@FLOPPAGE_50 said:
@Shewgenja said:

I still have my BC PlayStation 3 as well, just wondering when it's going to brick itself, it seems like an eventuality for all of them, I've been lucky I guess.

Taking the disc out of mine is a pain, I need to spam the eject button about 5 times for the disc to come out.

But I love my george foreman grill PS3, I've had it for a long ass time and it's been reliable.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#565 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

@ronvalencia: So what are the odds that the Xbox Scorpio is using 12 gigs of GDDR5x Ram, Puma CPU using some tech from Ryzen, and the GPU some form of Vega chip?

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#566  Edited By ronvalencia

@04dcarraher said:
@ronvalencia said:

just bringing up the what if another jaguar cpu rendition

That's based on DF's remarks who didn't publically leak the original documentation for independent verification. Refer to Wikileak's original documentation disclosure methods.

https://www.vg247.com/2016/09/19/microsofts-project-scorpio-will-run-first-party-games-at-native-4k/

In an interview with USA Today, Shannon Loftis, Microsoft Studios Publishing general manager, confirmed that the company’s first-party titles made for the Xbox One Project Scorpio will run at native 4K.

“Any games we’re making that we’re launching in the Scorpio time frame, we’re making sure they can natively render at 4K,” she said.

My posted MS first party 4K R9-390X benchmarks supports Shannon Loftis claims.

http://digiworthy.com/2016/10/10/phil-spencer-xbox-scorpio-not-use-amd-jaguar/

About two and a half years ago we started to look at a hardware refresh that we might want to do, which in the end led to the Xbox One S and Scorpio in terms of designs. We’d looked at doing something that was higher performance this year, and I’d say the [PS4] Pro is about what we thought–with the GPU, CPU, memory that was here this year–that you could go do, and we decided that we wanted to do something different.

So we looked at Scorpio and 4K and what I thought was a bigger step in terms of performance. It was something that we wanted to focus on.

At 4K resolution, it's mostly GPU bound.

Game consoles has an official method to bypass the driver's JIT-re-complier layer i.e. GCN "hit-the-metal" Intrinsic Functions which further reduces DX12/Vulkan's already low CPU overheads.

A programmer can increase shader complexity without incurring higher CPU driver re-complier overheads via GCN "hit-the-metal" Intrinsic Functions. The same CPU still delivers the same 3D dot product rate.

Monthly AMD update drivers includes shader replacement programs for targeted games i.e. moving shader program from API side to the driver side. AMD's shader replacement programs could be already complied for their supported GPUs.

Loading Video...

Athlon 5350 (quad core Puma) at 2.3 Ghz bottlenecks Doom Vulkan + R9-290 OC (~5.1 TFLOPS) which includes hit-the-metal GCN "hit-the-metal" Intrinsic Functions.

Athlon 5350 needs to further overclock to around 2.6 to 2.9 Ghz.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#567  Edited By ronvalencia

@xhawk27 said:

@ronvalencia: So what are the odds that the Xbox Scorpio is using 12 gigs of GDDR5x Ram, Puma CPU using some tech from Ryzen, and the GPU some form of Vega chip?

AMD CPUs in semi-custom business are mostly copy-and-paste engineering job. XBO S already has updated TSMC 16 nm FinFET Puma CPU which is the 3rd improvement version over the original Jaguar. TSMC 16 nm FinFET boost for Puma was disappointing i.e. small 30 percent boost in clock speed.

RYZEN is almost a straight 2X scale over Jaguar's design on most functional unit count with store unit still being single.

RYZEN has 4 ALU, 2 FMUL, 2 FADD, 2 load, 4 X86 instructions per cycle decode with 6 Ops dispatch rate and Op-Cache(cache for converted RISC instructions). Ops instructions are RISC type instruction after being converted from X86 instruction.

Jaguar has 2 ALU, 1 FMUL, 1 FADD, 1 load, 2 X86 instructions per cycle decode.

RYZEN has 512 KB L2 cache per core, hence 8 core version 4 MB L2 cache with 16 MB L3 cache.

8 core Jaguar has 4 MB L2 cache.

Cut-down RYZEN.... remove or reduce L3 cache. 8 core RYZEN's 4 MB L2 cache is enough for games.

Examples from Global Foundries' FinFET may not reflect TSMC's 16 nm FinFET version e.g. the lowest Poaris 10 SKU from GF is RX-470D with 4.5 TFLOPS while TSMC's 16 nm FinFET version has 4.2 TFLOPS GPU for PS4 Pro.

RX-470D has reached 2.45X perf/watt while PS4 Pro has reached 2.3X perf/watt while AMD's road map has paper Polaris at 2.5X perf/watt. My point, there are differences between GF and TSMC worst case working clock speed yields.

Vega is AMD's second attempt on 14/16 nm FinFET process node with 4X perf/watt targets.

Perhaps AMD's second attempt with Puma FinFET would yield higher clock speeds.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#568 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

@kvally said:

that article makes it seem even less likely that xbone and xbone s will get all the games (not talking about VR). The way he talks about it, it's like he's making an argument that third parties will choose to make every game work on all three platforms. There's no edict that forces them to. He said there will not be exclusive software, and if there is a year or even just half a year of that being true, he can say that's all he meant by it. This is totally in line when they said they will "ask" developers to make Scorpio games compatible with xbone.

There will be a game like Star Citizen, that's considered high end for PCs only, and they'll find a way to put it on the Scorpio, but won't bother with the xbone.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#569  Edited By ronvalencia
@tormentos said:
@ronvalencia said:

PC gaming doesn't require high end rig to be able to play all the games.

Again, Scorpio's estimate from 5.9 TFLOPS Radeon HD R9-390X results.

The graphics details from the above benchmarks are higher than XBO's graphics detail settings.

The difference between XBO and Scorpio is like R7-360 at 853 Mhz and R9-390X OC (6 TFLOPS, 1070 Mhz, 44 CU).

In terms of memory architecture, Scorpio is like XBO's 256 bit DDR3-2133Mhz scaled up to 384 bit GDDR5-7000 but without ESRAM. XBO without ESRAM usage has 7770 like results which may create a market need for hardware upgrade.

Hahahaahaa that one will be true when you show me Scorpio has a top of the line i7 like on those benchmarks.

DF article claim that Ryzen will not probably be on Scorpio,based on MS own document about CPU usage an warning,a 8 core Ryzen would need no such warnings,as 8 core dual thread is 16 threads is enough to drive that 6TF GPU,so from what i see either they are using Jaguar again or something like it.

Ultra requires a good CPU because not only it push higher quality it also draw more things which is a strain on the CPU.

So comparing the 390X PC using and i7 will not yield you the same results as Scorpio just because it has 6TF,i think that is why MS make the warnings about the cpu usage.

Hey Ron if the 390X destroy the RX480 because it does 8 more frames in 4k,what does the PS4 does with the xbox one wen it pumps out up to 13FPS more and never drops from 60FPS..

Ill wait again while you bring some charts that favor the xbox one and ignore this one..

The rendering thread still has 60 hzupdate rate but with 30 hz CPU animation AI interpolation (faking 3D points between real calculated 3D points) to 60 hz. The context is for supporting XBO's 30 hz while supporting Scorpio's higher grade GPU. Scorpio's CPU render thread for the GPU still renders at 60 hz.

You have to split CPU AI 30 hz update rate from CPU rendering thread at 60 hz which feeds the GPU. Significant number of XBO games has 30 hz CPU AI and 30 hz GPU render update rate.

The bottleneck is supporting XBO's CPU 30 hz logic.

Bad game console port on PC has similar issues i.e. 30 hz AI update and 30 hz GPU render update (aka 30 fps cap limit). 3rd party hacks (e.g. direct3D API intercept) changes 30 hz/30 fps cap limit with 60 hz.

For Project Cars PS4 build, you have four Jaguar CPU cores allocated for rendering thread which is not even AI CPU threads.

---------------

R9-390X's frame rate different from RX-480 makes a difference between reaching native 4k with 30 fps threshold and failing native 4k with 30 fps threshold. R9-390X is a better native 4K handling GPU over RX-480.

MS didn't coupled their 6 TFLOPS GPU with RX-480's 256bit GDDR5-8000 memory bus nor PS4 Pro's 256bit GDDR5-7000 + at least 64bit DDR3-xxxx.

For PS4 Pro

DDR3 = at least 64bits wide

DDR3L = at least 32 bits wide

DDDR3-2100 x 64 bits = ~16.6 GB/s. PS4 Pro could have GDDR5 218 GB/s + DDR3 16.6 GB/s = 234 GB/s. GPU doesn't use DDR3 memory pool.

For Scorpio

GDDR5-7000 348 bit yield 328 GB/s physical memory bandwidth.

Effective memory bandwidth for Polaris 10's delta memory compression with GDDR5-7000 348 bit will exceed R9-390X's ~314 GB/s effective memory bandwidth. CPU AI's 30 hz update will cap it's CPU bandwidth usage.

RX-470 vs R9-390X.

4K (16:9) frame buffer has 8,294,400 pixels.

R9-390X: 35 fps x 8,294,400 pixels = 290,304,000 pixels rendered per second

RX-470: 23 fps x 8,294,400 pixels = 190,771,200 pixels rendered per second

At per second rate, that's 99,532,800 pixel difference. The difference would be larger for the lesser RX-470D SKU.

The pixel difference is less on 1920x1080p/~30 fps vs 1600x900p/~30 fps or 1920x1080/~60 fps vs 1920x1080/~40 fps.

For 1920x1080p/~60 fps vs 1920x1080/~40 fps example

PS4124,416,00060 fps
XBO82,944,00040 fps
difference41,472,000

For 1920x1080p/~30 fps vs 1600x900p/~30 fps example

PS462,208,00030 fps
XBO43,200,00030 fps
difference19,008,000
xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#570 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

Phil did say that they are not using Jaguar and second they said they wanted a console that has a balance between the GPU/CPU. Only a few more months before we know for sure.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#571  Edited By ronvalencia

@xhawk27 said:

Phil did say that they are not using Jaguar and second they said they wanted a console that has a balance between the GPU/CPU. Only a few more months before we know for sure.

http://wccftech.com/xbox-scorpio-wont-feature-jaguar-cpu-likely-might-features-planned-ryzen/

A few hours ago, Windows Central Senior Editor Jez Corden revealed on his Twitter profile that he did manage to get a look at the same document Digital Foundry obtained, and, in his opinion, the Xbox Scorpio is most likely not going to be powered by a Jaguar CPU.

DF's Richard Leadbetter doesn't know Direct3D and CPU AI software programming modeling.

Scorpio still has rendering thread at 60 hz update rate.

"graphics at 60Hz but the CPU at 30Hz and interpolating animation"

http://wccftech.com/xbox-scorpio-full-blown-next-gen-machine-not-half-assed-upgrade-according-ori-developer/

Scorpio is a next-gen machine with the added benefit that all your old games will still be compatible. From this point on, similar to PCs, you’ll not lose your library when you buy a next-gen system. I guess since NeoGAF is confused, Microsoft will need to do a little work to make it clear to everyone that Scorpio isn’t just a half-assed upgrade (which the PS4 Pro kinda is…), but a full-blown next-gen machine that’s just backwards-compatible to your current library.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#572  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@dynamitecop said:
@tormentos said:
@dynamitecop said:

Incorrect, even cutting my CPU frequency in half bodes the almost same results, yes this is from 4.4Ghz down to 2.2Ghz... A 50% reduction in CPU capability and the numbers are almost the same, think about that, the processor was 100% more powerful before this, yet the results are essentially the same, within margins of error and calculable differences based upon AI spawns, angles, different geometry etc. Games operating at this resolution and these settings become almost entirely GPU bound, the CPU is an afterthought, changes to it make little to no difference whatsoever, even when cut in half, it all scales exactly the same regardless.

That is because you CPU is a damn i7 buffoon.

Ultra settings does tax the CPU you are rendering more things,and drawing more stuff tax the CPU because it is a CPU process,the more you draw the more the performance drop.

Is one of the things in which DX12,Vulkan and mantle help lower end CPU.

So you take an 8 core AMD CPU and take away half the speed and you will have a performance deep.

Case in point look at the i7 2ghz drop and just nothing happen a single frame.

Now look at the FX 9590 same drop 2ghz and 10FPS are drop on the spot on average and minimum sink 13 FPS lower.

So yeah your CPU isn't showing the drop because it is a dam i7,an AMD CPU would surely show a dip.

"1920x1080" "@1080p"

62% CPU Usage...

14% CPU Usage...

But tormentos is right , what does it matter the cpu benchmarks are from 1080p, cpu benchmarks are never made with 4k, why would they, 4k is completely gpu dependent and will make the differences between cpu's less prevalent since the comparison is measured in framerates. The fact that your i7 increases its usage could be due to a number of factors, driver related issues from your amd card for example (which have been observed in this benchmark)

The cpu isn't going to be able to dish out more frames because of the lower resolution, since it's completely gpu dependent, the cpu load is the same. Your cpu is showing less usage because of some other reason which is unrelated to a cpu bottleneck.

@dynamitecop said:

Remember this?

@dynamitecop said:
@tormentos said:

Is that a fact? You know shit all about CPU load or the effect GRAPHICAL (GPU bound) settings change CPU load...

Protip, they fucking don't.

Low to Ultra bears absolutely no CPU load changes, none, zero, it's all changed state on the GPU which only reflects a framerate difference and VRAM load differences, nothing is reflected on the CPU.

ultra requires a better cpu in some scenarios, it all depends how the game is developped, but nowadays you will be mostly right since gpgpu techniques will leave the cpu mostly alone. Like it is the case in the witcher 3 and rise of the tomb raider.

However, when you're cutting it short with a cpu like the jaguar. There isn't much room to move, as much as possible will have to be moved to the gpu, resulting in lower framerates/performance/quality. Ac unity is a great example of this, it took the ps4 months to optimize the game just because it had a cpu that was 10 percent slower than the xboxone. Still ac unity was a demanding game for the cpu, but even the witcher 3 needed patching and optimizations on the ps4 and that's a game that runs mostly on the gpu.

Devs will be and are already more accustomed to gpgpu tools but there's no denying that a jaguar in the scorpio will hold the scorpio back. Then again, 2 tflops of extra perfomance can go a long way compared to the ps4 pro. Devs can maintain better performance using gpgpu tools when cpu demand increases even at a higher resolution and higher graphic settings, it's obvious when you look at the differences between the ps4 and xboxone this gen.

When the scorpio is using the jaguar the difference in performance with the ps4 pro will still be much higher than it was with the xboxone and ps4. The ps4 pro doesn't have any esram to help out, not to mention the difference in tflops is much higher. Something tells me that microsoft would be able to run the cpu at higher clockrates as well.

and that is worst case scenario for the scorpio, the article from df proves nothing. Microsoft could have already changed direction since that paper but the mentioning of scorpio at the new horizon stand could be idd only about vega. So nobody knows, with all the info we have now it's all speculation.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#573  Edited By Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7704 Posts

@commander: while gpgpu is great you can't simply offload all cpu tasks to gpu nor is it profitable to do so either, stuff like shadow mapping, decal amounts, draw distance etc. all push the amount of draw calls the cpu issues.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#574  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@howmakewood said:

@commander: while gpgpu is great you can't simply offload all cpu tasks to gpu nor is it profitable to do so either, stuff like shadow mapping, decal amounts, draw distance etc. all push the amount of draw calls the cpu issues.

of course not all but you're forgetting that the cpu in the scorpio, if it's a jag, will already be running at higher clock speeds.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#575  Edited By ronvalencia

@howmakewood said:

https://developer.amd.com/wordpress/media/2012/10/Isidoro-ShadowMapping.pdf

GPU based shadow mapping via pixel shaders.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb975671(v=xnagamestudio.31).aspx

How To: Implement Shadow Mapping

To render shadows in HLSL with a shadow map

• Use per-pixel lighting to render shadows with a shadow map in HLSL.

The vertex shader for this effect performs a normal world-view-projection transformation on the POSITION supplied by the video card. It also transforms the NORMAL. Both of these values are passed as output. The UV coordinate for the texture is passed through to the pixel shader, along with a copy of the untransformed POSITION value.

http://www.realtimeshadows.com/sites/default/files/Playing%20with%20Real-Time%20Shadows_0.pdf

For CryEngine 3.

Soft Shadows Approximation has Compute Shader option: fetch all taps to CS shared memory and reuse them for both distance estimation and shadow computation

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#576  Edited By ronvalencia

@commander said:
@howmakewood said:

of course not all but you're forgetting that the cpu in the scorpio, if it's a jag, will already be running at higher clock speeds.

http://wccftech.com/xbox-scorpio-wont-feature-jaguar-cpu-likely-might-features-planned-ryzen/

A few hours ago, Windows Central Senior Editor Jez Corden revealed on his Twitter profile that he did manage to get a look at the same document Digital Foundry obtained, and, in his opinion, the Xbox Scorpio is most likely not going to be powered by a Jaguar CPU.