MS cloud PR change.?

• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

There was not one mention of "the cloud" during Microsoft's 90 minute presentation, either from Xbox boss Phil Spencer or the many developers that took to the stage to talk about their games.

Instead, we heard the term "dedicated servers" over and over again. This after Microsoft spent a great deal of time and effort insisting the power of the cloud would revolutionise gaming as we know it.

And that - finally - is how Microsoft is now referring to the cloud. Is it an official rebrand?

"You picked up on exactly that," Phil Harrison told me at E3 last week when I mentioned Microsoft failed to mention "the cloud" once during its press conference last week.

"Xbox Live is the service. Dedicated servers is the benefit. That is the reason why these games are going to be better, why the experience for multiplayer is going to be better.

We've only seen a hint of what's possible so far beyond multiplayer gaming with Drivatars and Titanfall's grunt AI. The Crackdown prototype is a great example of what the cloud should excel at - offloading complex calculations away from the host console, where the additional 100ms or so latency to and from the datacentre won't unduly impact gameplay. The cloud doesn't address graphics bottlenecks, but here it demonstrates how much of a strain simulating destruction of a complex scene can have on the CPU - an area where both PS4 and Xbox One lag behind even mid-range PC processors.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-06-16-microsofts-confusing-xbox-one-cloud-message-shifts-to-dedicated-servers

Like i once stated the cloud is dedicated servers the whole improvement of graphics over the internet was a joke...lol

Avatar image for deactivated-609eda8a7edd0
deactivated-609eda8a7edd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 deactivated-609eda8a7edd0
Member since 2012 • 1173 Posts

bu bu but teh secret sauce!

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 tormentos

@OhJayDubya said:

bu bu but teh secret sauce!

Hahaha secret sauce denied...hahaha

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22675 Posts

Cloud, no cloud, kinda cloud, cloud cloud cloud... the Xbox Ones hardware alone is capable enough of delivering fantastic next gen gaming... the rest of the rabble is semantics.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

B.....bu......bu......bu......but teh clowdz!!!!11

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@tormentos said:

There was not one mention of "the cloud" during Microsoft's 90 minute presentation, either from Xbox boss Phil Spencer or the many developers that took to the stage to talk about their games.

Instead, we heard the term "dedicated servers" over and over again. This after Microsoft spent a great deal of time and effort insisting the power of the cloud would revolutionise gaming as we know it.

And that - finally - is how Microsoft is now referring to the cloud. Is it an official rebrand?

"You picked up on exactly that," Phil Harrison told me at E3 last week when I mentioned Microsoft failed to mention "the cloud" once during its press conference last week.

"Xbox Live is the service. Dedicated servers is the benefit. That is the reason why these games are going to be better, why the experience for multiplayer is going to be better.

We've only seen a hint of what's possible so far beyond multiplayer gaming with Drivatars and Titanfall's grunt AI. The Crackdown prototype is a great example of what the cloud should excel at - offloading complex calculations away from the host console, where the additional 100ms or so latency to and from the datacentre won't unduly impact gameplay. The cloud doesn't address graphics bottlenecks, but here it demonstrates how much of a strain simulating destruction of a complex scene can have on the CPU - an area where both PS4 and Xbox One lag behind even mid-range PC processors.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-06-16-microsofts-confusing-xbox-one-cloud-message-shifts-to-dedicated-servers

Like i once stated the cloud is dedicated servers the whole improvement of graphics over the internet was a joke...lol

That's only because dumb shits like you can't understand the difference - MS had to dumb down the message.

And, you *can* improve graphics over the internet, you just need to have a consistent connection. Shift other tasks to the cloud and re-purpose the freed up CPU and GPU cycles to focus on rendering. It's not that complicated of a premise - for people who understand the technology. The caveat is that devs would have to put in catches for cloud access going down; which is why I have always said that cloud processing will be regulated to multip-layer.

sam890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By sam890
Member since 2005 • 1119 Posts

Can't wait for the lem damage control.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

Did they talk about anything besides games?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

hahahahaaahaaaaa...

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

So offloading tasks and dedicated servers are a bad thing now?

Or the fact they are no longer calling the cloud the cloud?

What exactly is the issue? A name change?

Stupid topic.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

The cloud doesn't address graphics bottlenecks

Poor lems, cant catch a break.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 tormentos

@StormyJoe said:

That's only because dumb shits like you can't understand the difference - MS had to dumb down the message.

And, you *can* improve graphics over the internet, you just need to have a consistent connection. Shift other tasks to the cloud and re-purpose the freed up CPU and GPU cycles to focus on rendering. It's not that complicated of a premise - for people who understand the technology. The caveat is that devs would have to put in catches for cloud access going down; which is why I have always said that cloud processing will be regulated to multip-layer.

The cloud doesn't address graphics bottlenecks, but here it demonstrates how much of a strain simulating destruction of a complex scene can have on the CPU - an area where both PS4 and Xbox One lag behind even mid-range PC processors.

No graphical boost from the cloud..hahahahaaaaaaaaaaa

TOLD YOU SO...lol

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

They did however have someone there from Cloudgine introduce Crackdown 3 which is going to utilize Dah Cloud more than antother game.

Remember the buildings collapsing in the Crackdown trailer? Very reminiscent of the Cloud demo where they collapsed Sonys HQ building. The demos are related for a reason.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@tormentos said:

@StormyJoe said:

The cloud doesn't address graphics bottlenecks, but here it demonstrates how much of a strain simulating destruction of a complex scene can have on the CPU - an area where both PS4 and Xbox One lag behind even mid-range PC processors.

TOLD YOU SO...lol

Shit tier CPU confirmed.

Avatar image for slimdogmilionar
slimdogmilionar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15 slimdogmilionar
Member since 2014 • 1343 Posts

Thought everyone already agreed that cloud would not be used for graphics. Did you read the whole article? Have you ever heard of any company's cloud not having dedicated servers? Taken from that same article the powah of the cloud:

Loading Video...

source:http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-06-16-microsofts-confusing-xbox-one-cloud-message-shifts-to-dedicated-servers

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#16 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

na, xbox showed games and nothing more at e3, phil said games first everything else after.

Also the games that claims that is really using the cloud is rumored halo 5, crackdown 3 isn't coming till next year.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 StormyJoe

@tormentos said:

@StormyJoe said:

TOLD YOU SO...lol

You didn't tell me anything. Please re-read my post and try to follow it.

f50p90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18  Edited By f50p90
Member since 2008 • 3767 Posts

There are only like 5 lems who actually thought the cloud would bring graphical improvements.. @StormyJoe Microsoft had originally stated the cloud would make the xbone 4 times more powerful which is absolute bullshit. They always lied and are only now admitting it's extremely limited practical use

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 tormentos

@StormyJoe said:

Oh i argue you like 10 times about it you fake programmer..hahahah

Butbutbut in my company we use MS cloud for Office365 that mean the cloud works for gaming..lol

@slimdogmilionar said:

Thought everyone already agreed that cloud would not be used for graphics. Did you read the whole article? Have you ever heard of any company's cloud not having dedicated servers? Taken from that same article the powah of the cloud:

Loading Video...

source:http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-06-16-microsofts-confusing-xbox-one-cloud-message-shifts-to-dedicated-servers

Yes i did and no it can't be use to increase graphics which is what lemmings and MS first claimed with the cloud,the cloud is use for Bing,Office 365 and other MS products as well,it work in certain things graphics enhancement over the internet is not one of them and i have argue this to hell and beyond..lol

@f50p90 said:

There are only like 5 lems who actually thought the cloud would bring graphical improvements.. @StormyJoe Microsoft had originally stated the cloud would make the xbone 4 times more powerful which is absolute bullshit. They always lied and are only now admitting it's extremely limited use

There were some more,and yeah Stormyjoe is on denial because he also defend the magic cloud that would make the xbox one rise from 10 times the power of the 360 to 40 times...hahaha

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

But the cloud is made up of dedicated servers, you know that right? The Azure network. It doesn't matter what you call it.

You could give it a Sony marketing name like cinema precision stabilizing drive, whatever the ****. It is dedicated servers under the marketing name of 'the cloud'. But like all computers, they have different purposes and are capable of different things. It doesn't change what they can do,

Can it be used for graphics, no. Can it do physics, ai, larger persistent worlds or whatever, yes. Something not all servers are capable of doing.

One of the reasons they're dropping the extra name is likely because they just want it to be known as part of XBL.

Does the MS cloud exist. Absolutely, they spent 9 billion on worldwide server farms and use the Azure network for many things as well as allowing others to use its cloud processing ability. Game implementation does not happen the minute the console is released. That's just absurd.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By StormyJoe

@tormentos said:

@StormyJoe said:

Butbutbut in my company we use MS cloud for Office365 that mean the cloud works for gaming..lol

@slimdogmilionar said:

Loading Video...

Yes i did and no it can't be use to increase graphics which is what lemmings and MS first claimed with the cloud,the cloud is use for Bing,Office 365 and other MS products as well,it work in certain things graphics enhancement over the internet is not one of them and i have argue this to hell and beyond..lol

@f50p90 said:

There are only like 5 lems who actually thought the cloud would bring graphical improvements.. @StormyJoe Microsoft had originally stated the cloud would make the xbone 4 times more powerful which is absolute bullshit. They always lied and are only now admitting it's extremely limited use

There were some more,and yeah Stormyjoe is on denial because he also defend the magic cloud that would make the xbox one rise from 10 times the power of the 360 to 40 times...hahaha

Listen, you need to stop shoving crayons up your nose.

First off, We use SQL Azure and now Windows Azure (as of last week). Secondly, if you READ my other post, my stance has not faltered - ever. Lastly, you didn't even read the link to the Respawn article that said pretty much exactly what I am saying.

So, is this how you conduct yourself in SW, now? You basically take what I have written, omit 80% of it, then rewrite the rest it to make it seem like you are correct, then pseudo-quote me? Pathetic. It really does show you have no fricken clue what you are talking about.

Poor Tormentos, owning yourself as usual.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

except this exists already. and its not MS touting it, its Nvidia

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/08/02/nvidia-cloudlight-using-cloud-computing-to-deliver-faster-lighting/

That is another gaming company, who makes GPUs showing off tech that improves graphics using the cloud. they also have a link to a PDF from Nvidia that gives you a long breakdown of the tech

slimdogmilionar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 slimdogmilionar

@tormentos said:

@StormyJoe said:

@slimdogmilionar said:

Loading Video...

@f50p90 said:

So i guess dumping stressful task off to the cloud to increase FPS has no impact on graphics. In the video it jumped from 2fps to 32fps, note he said using the cloud for "COMPUTATION". Although I can see your point some may have taken the cloud and ran wild with it.

slimdogmilionar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 slimdogmilionar
@StormyJoe said:

@tormentos said:

Good post. Most forget that the consoles are powered by APU's.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

They couldn't mention da clowd because if they did they'd get ripped apart. Downside of being the lepers of the industry.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

The cloud doesn't address graphics bottlenecks!!!

Hahahahahahaha......... And I seriously doubt the cloud will offset the spare ~500Gflops+ that PS4 has to chuck at GPU compute should developers wish.

Xbone and lemmings just gone boned by Phil Spence and he didn't even have the courtesy to use lube.

Spitfire-Six

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Spitfire-Six
Member since 2014 • 1378 Posts

SO because they dumbed down the explanation to something you understand now its ownage? No one ever said anything about it helping the GPU everyone said it would help the cpu which could in turn improve the performance of the gpu.

Effec_Tor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 Effec_Tor
Member since 2014 • 914 Posts

awkward..

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

I expected nothing from the cloud so I am not disappointed that nothing has come of it. The whole idea is a joke. Internet speeds aren't fast or consistent enough for devs to confidently rely on the cloud.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 shawn30
Member since 2006 • 4409 Posts

@tormentos said:

They demonstrated a tiny bit of the Cloud tech back in April, and just last week Phil Spencer said they will show and explain far more of what they will do with the Cloud the next tie it is shown. Xbox One using the Cloud to enhance games is coming, just a matter of when and to what degree.

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

This will be damage controlled till the end of times.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

For those in here, PLENTY of Lemmings have claimed that the cloud would help make the GRAPHICS better, not all lemmings mind you.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

Why talk about the cloud when you've nothing to show for it yet. They mentioned it at last E3, and since then have been laughed it.

It'll be brought up when games start to really take advantage of it (crackdown for example). Although something tells me cows will still find an excuse to live in denial.

Spitfire-Six

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Spitfire-Six

@RR360DD: They plan to have a build conference again with a more tech explanation on how this all will actually work. You also could argue that the last build conference was the proof of concept that this technology works. If you read the article posted about Nvidia using its "cloud" it opens the door to a couple ideas on how this could go past just benefiting CPU.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

@wolverine4262 said:

Did they talk about anything besides games?

Don't think so. Some fanboys here will spin that to be a bad thing.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

Are we still hung up on the cloud? I completely forgot about it.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

@Heil68 said:

The cloud doesn't address graphics bottlenecks

Poor lems, cant catch a break.

the graphics are fine as they are, not as good as the Ps4 granted but they are still fine.

Never thought i would see the day where Graphics became the only benchmark to judge Games and consoles by.

It's truly pathetic that these people call themselves gamers.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#40  Edited By jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts
Loading Video...

this is the only benefit to the cloud. cloud powah!

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

It became a toxic PR word because too many people saw through the BS.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

So, it's exactly what we've been telling the fanboys for a year now.

If it sounds too good to be true...

GamersJustGame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 GamersJustGame
Member since 2014 • 323 Posts

I said it once and I will say it again.

All gamers should hope that Microsoft pulls this off. It would make video game history. Massive amounts of damage on screen like never thought possible. I am down with that clown.

leandrro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#45 leandrro
Member since 2007 • 1644 Posts

@tormentos said:

@StormyJoe said:

TOLD YOU SO...lol

i still believe in the original statements, the cloud has 3 times the processing power of the x1 hidden in the servers, it will make magic

or maybe not

Spitfire-Six

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Spitfire-Six

@gamersjustgame said:

I said it once and I will say it again.

All gamers should hope that Microsoft pulls this off. It would make video game history. Massive amounts of damage on screen like never thought possible. I am down with that clown.

To concerned with winning the system wars battle or talking points to appreciate the chance for true progress

Bruin1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Bruin1986
Member since 2007 • 1629 Posts

@scatteh316 said:

For those in here, PLENTY of Lemmings have claimed that the cloud would help make the GRAPHICS better, not all lemmings mind you.

If you can offload certain calculations such as physics, weather, AI, etc to a secondary machine (AKA Cloud)...it allows developers to focus a higher percentage of your local console to graphical calculations.

So yeah...that's exactly what it could help accomplish. Make the graphics better...

This is not a complicated concept.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#48  Edited By navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17426 Posts

Talk about cloud: Cows bash you, say its a gimming, a lie, PR garbage.

Dont talk about cloud: Cows bash you, say you are giving up on it, that its clear that it doesnt work, that wont help games.

LMAO, that cant win

Cows are like the Fox News of System Wars

iwasgood2u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 iwasgood2u
Member since 2009 • 831 Posts

@Bruin1986: sure lets offload ai etc when the cloud server goes down the lemmings will wonder where are my ai weather etc? Lol what a joke.