Microsoft is interested to buy AMD

• 85 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@mesome713 said:

@LJS9502_basic: Microsoft is doing good though, they have created some neat stuff, plus they have Windows. We still need Microsoft.

MS existed way before the Xbox Brand. Windows does not depend on the game console.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#52  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

@LJS9502_basic: True, Microsoft can do fine without a console just like Samsung, Sony on the other hand would sink without their console, they are extremely horrible at running a business. How they can flop on some many products is amazing. I think it has to do with their business philosophies.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@mesome713 said:

@LJS9502_basic: True, Microsoft can do fine without a console just like Samsung, Sony on the other hand would sink without their console, they are extremely horrible at running a business. How they can flop on some many products is amazing. I think it has to do with their business philosophies.

You need to get over your Sony bitterness dude.....

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#55 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

No. Microsoft is evil with false promises ever since Bill Gates left.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22375 Posts

@The_Stand_In said:

Doubt it will actually happen. REALLY doubt it.

Yeah I can't see it happening... doesn't really fit into the direction they seem to be heading.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#57 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@mesome713 said:

You need to get over your Sony bitterness dude.....

He's kind of right though. Isn't the Playstion the only profitable division?

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@magicalclick said:

If Samsung buy AMD, I will stop buying AMD/ATI completely. Samsung has been known to customize android phone and opens up security backdoor. And they installed malware on PC that keeps resetting Windows Update to manual mode. With some BS argument about preventing driver update when Windows Update always placed driver in manual optional section.

Complete no Samsung for me. I don't want to install GPU driver that will come with Samsung malware. Not even CPU is safe. Because yes, cell phone processor has been injected with virus at hardware design level way before manufacturing. So, I don't know what fishy thing Samsung would do.

Are you fu**ing for real.? can you get your head out of MS ass for 2 seconds.?

You are flaming Samsung for opening backdoors in Android when Windows has been the most exploited OS security wise on the damn planet.? How many account have been stolen do to windows backdoors and problems,having a PC without an Anti Virus is a syn,when Mac was relatively clean,come on man window is the most exploited OS security wise,yet the xbox wasn't even close to windows on that regards.

I would love is MS buy it though it would be a spectacle to watch MS try to sabotage Nvidia drivers on windows..hahahaha

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts

every ps4 sold would be money in their pockets...dont see why this wouldnt happen

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@tormentos said:
@magicalclick said:

If Samsung buy AMD, I will stop buying AMD/ATI completely. Samsung has been known to customize android phone and opens up security backdoor. And they installed malware on PC that keeps resetting Windows Update to manual mode. With some BS argument about preventing driver update when Windows Update always placed driver in manual optional section.

Complete no Samsung for me. I don't want to install GPU driver that will come with Samsung malware. Not even CPU is safe. Because yes, cell phone processor has been injected with virus at hardware design level way before manufacturing. So, I don't know what fishy thing Samsung would do.

You are flaming Samsung for opening backdoors in Android when Windows has been the most exploited OS security wise on the damn planet.? How many account have been stolen do to windows backdoors and problems,having a PC without an Anti Virus is a syn,when Mac was relatively clean,come on man window is the most exploited OS security wise,yet the xbox wasn't even close to windows on that regards.

I would love is MS buy it though it would be a spectacle to watch MS try to sabotage Nvidia drivers on windows..hahahaha

Samsung makes crap software, and their touchwiz suck and cripples the Android Experience

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#61  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@Gamerno6666: If Microsoft purchased AMD, it would complete the reborn Digital Equipment Corp (DEC).

@ten_pints said:

Can't happen, the moment they buy it the x86 license from Intel becomes null and void.

AMD owns X86-64 ISA IP. AMD and Microsoft co-operated to create AMD64 ISA aka X86-64 ISA, hence removing Intel's Itanium from X86-32 to 64bit PC migration path.

Microsoft's core Windows NT engineers includes lead programmers from DEC's VMS operating system group.

l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts

I hope this doesnt happen. I always liked AMD, its the whole under dog thing, if MS buys them out im done with them completely.

This is typical MS strategy, you cant beat the competition with a genuine good product so you buy out the people that make the component parts instead, **** YOU MS.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b883bb846c10
deactivated-5b883bb846c10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 deactivated-5b883bb846c10
Member since 2015 • 1043 Posts

@l34052:

Though MS were never competing in the Chip market...

l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts

I hope this doesnt happen. I always liked AMD, its the whole under dog thing, if MS buys them out im done with them completely.

@LJS9502_basic said:
@mesome713 said:

No sir, Google please save us now! Samsung would be good choice, they can buy AMD and continue to kick Sony out of the business. I would like Samsung, Nintendo, Microsoft, and Steam, would make a great battle.

Sony has some great games over the years. A true gamer wouldn't want them to leave.

THIS. Sony has had some fantastic games over the years and lets not forget it was also them that brought gaming to the masses and away from the dark corner of the teenagers room.

I wouldnt lament ms leaving gaming at all but it would be very sad to see sony or nintendo leave.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#65  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

@mesome713 said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@Ant_17 said:

Question:Is AMD better then Nvidia?

No. It's not just about hardware. The software and drivers are mostly better on Nvidia.

And I gather from what people say, they only consider an AMD product because they get a little more bang for their buck. But I'm of the opinion that you should get something because you want it and are excited about it, unless your objective is to have something on a budget.

I've never been excited about an AMD product personally, yet I am with Intel and Nvidia products. That's where I think AMD has got it wrong. They market their products to the entry level which is fine, but they market their products as 'the cheaper alternative' which I think is a poor stance.

AMD might not be the best, but they are quality. Ive rocked AMD for bout 10 years on 2 builds and they lasted, i also never turn off my computers, they run 24/7. Im also very happy with my Asus AMD cards, which of course has a lot to do with Asus. Again, they may not be the best, but they are awesome and provide great competition.

I'm sure AMD graphics cards are very good and anyone can be happy with them.

But when you say 'they might not be the best', it sounds negative or apologetic in a way and that's some of my point. AMD should make it so YOU are excited to be choosing their products, CPU or GPU.

I only have a GTX 750Ti, albeit probably the best variant you can get. But I am very happy with it, I was excited to get it and I'm really enjoying it, in fact I'm probably a little proud to have it. But I didn't choose it as an alternative, I chose it because I wanted it, that and I wanted an entry into PC gaming.

When AMD recently unveiled their new graphics cards, people weren't that excited. When people open threads about their new range, everyones like 'yeah, but I think I'll stick with Nvidia.

AMD need to show a lot more confidence in themselves.

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By ProtossX
Member since 2005 • 2880 Posts

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@mesome713 said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@Ant_17 said:

No. It's not just about hardware. The software and drivers are mostly better on Nvidia.

And I gather from what people say, they only consider an AMD product because they get a little more bang for their buck. But I'm of the opinion that you should get something because you want it and are excited about it, unless your objective is to have something on a budget.

I've never been excited about an AMD product personally, yet I am with Intel and Nvidia products. That's where I think AMD has got it wrong. They market their products to the entry level which is fine, but they market their products as 'the cheaper alternative' which I think is a poor stance.

AMD might not be the best, but they are quality. Ive rocked AMD for bout 10 years on 2 builds and they lasted, i also never turn off my computers, they run 24/7. Im also very happy with my Asus AMD cards, which of course has a lot to do with Asus. Again, they may not be the best, but they are awesome and provide great competition.

But when you say 'they might not be the best', it sounds negative or apologetic in a way and that's some of my point. AMD should make it so YOU are excited to be choosing their products, CPU or GPU.

I only have a GTX 750Ti, albeit probably the best variant you can get. But I am very happy with it, I was excited to get it and I'm really enjoying it, in fact I'm probably a little proud to have it. But I didn't choose it as an alternative, I chose it because I wanted it, that and I wanted an entry into PC gaming.

When AMD recently unveiled their new graphics cards, people weren't that excited. When people open threads about their new range, everyones like 'yeah, but I think I'll stick with Nvidia.

which makes AMD the perfect fit for the xbone and windows 10 something average consumer are not confidant in these companies are literally falling off a cliff imo like every company microsoft has bought pretty much

look at rare games and minecraft an stuff that studio hasn't made any other hit games an ms spent billions on them an probably only a few millions made with them

Heres what happens m$ buys a company ----> all the top talent leaves and goes to build a mansion on private island ----> company is now trash ----> the end

this is what will happen to amd too having money an buy outs doesn't do anything imo

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By tdkmillsy  Online
Member since 2003 • 5882 Posts

@tormentos said:
@magicalclick said:

What a load of drivel.

Recent versions of Windows is pretty secure, its targeted due to its popularity and if end users keep it up-to-date, install anti virus and use it correctly its perfectly safe. Samsung installed software that stopped the updates, a total disregard for end users.

I'll just leave this here

http://betanews.com/2015/02/22/os-x-ios-and-linux-have-more-vulnerabilities-than-windows/

Your talking out of your arse as usual, you cant help yourself dishing Microsoft with no research can you.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By HalcyonScarlet

@ProtossX said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@mesome713 said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@Ant_17 said:

which makes AMD the perfect fit for the xbone and windows 10 something average consumer are not confidant in these companies are literally falling off a cliff imo like every company microsoft has bought pretty much

look at rare games and minecraft an stuff that studio hasn't made any other hit games an ms spent billions on them an probably only a few millions made with them

Heres what happens m$ buys a company ----> all the top talent leaves and goes to build a mansion on private island ----> company is now trash ----> the end

this is what will happen to amd too having money an buy outs doesn't do anything imo

That's pretty much a load of crap. They're in your consoles as well. And people do like them. lol Even Sony put them in there because they were cheap, so they want them too.

You haven't got a clue about Windows 10. If Windows 8.1 is better than Windows 7, Windows 10 definitely will be.

'look at RARE', yeah, they were banging out the hits on the GC too... Nope. They've been shit for a long time. They haven't made a good game since the N64, not even Nintendo were interested in them. Plus everyone's left, they started leaving before MS got them.

They just bought the Minecraft studio, how fast did you want anything from them.

You should get some facts for your weird fanboy nonsense.

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By ProtossX

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@ProtossX said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@mesome713 said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@Ant_17 said:

That's pretty much a load of crap. They're in your consoles as well. And people do like them. lol Even Sony put them in there because they were cheap, so they want them too.

You haven't got a clue about Windows 10. If Windows 8.1 is better than Windows 7, Windows 10 definitely will be.

'look at RARE', yeah, they were banging out the hits on the GC too... Nope. They've been shit for a long time. They haven't made a good game since the N64, not even Nintendo were interested in them. Plus everyone's left, they started leaving before MS got them.

They just bought the Minecraft studio, how fast did you want anything from them.

If everyone wants them why did you say earlier that NOBODY wants them? (PC gamers)

You got some double speak going on bro maybe that's why the "new" console can barely pull off 30 fps and 1080p because they are amd and why tons of gamers are moving to pc (intel/nvidia)

You got like more people playing on PC now than ever before meanwhile the ps4/xbone sitting low numbers and every studio is bringing the games onto pc no questions asked more competition now with pc an console games are now no longer the most played even you see the bigger casual games all on pc being played more than consoles now a days.

I have windows 7 laptop and windows 7 desktop IM not upgrading windows 8 or windows 10 im done upgrading im gonna use windows 7 until my PC dies and is dead, i dont care about dx12 or new cards from amd ill buy nvidia and whatever they wanna do period ill follow nvidia

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 HalcyonScarlet

@ProtossX said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@ProtossX said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@mesome713 said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@Ant_17 said:

If everyone wants them why did you say earlier that NOBODY wants them? (PC gamers)

You got some double speak going on bro maybe that's why the "new" console can barely pull off 30 fps and 1080p because they are amd and why tons of gamers are moving to pc (intel/nvidia)

You got like more people playing on PC now than ever before meanwhile the ps4/xbone sitting low numbers and every studio is bringing the games onto pc no questions asked more competition now with pc an console games are now no longer the most played even you see the bigger casual games all on pc being played more than consoles now a days.

I have windows 7 laptop and windows 7 desktop IM not upgrading windows 8 or windows 10 im done upgrading im gonna use windows 7 until my PC dies and is dead, i dont care about dx12 or new cards from amd ill buy nvidia and whatever they wanna do period ill follow nvidia

You got some double vision going on.

All that was my opinion. I said they very good, but a lot of the people who get them, get them as a cheaper alternative. I never said they weren't good, because they are, they hold their own against Nvidia. They need to be pro active with software and drivers too. I also said they send out the wrong marketing message.

Never did I say people don't want them.

No, the new consoles can't do it, because MS and Sony cheaped out. An Nvidia counterpart which is likely between the GTX650Ti/Boost and a GTX660 wouldn't do better in a console.

PC isn't intel/nvidia, it's intel/Nvidia/AMD. There are still a lot of people choosing AMD products. And with DX12, for gaming, their CPUs will do the job better and even their graphics cards may fair a bit better.

I said I prefer Intel and Nvidia, but I never said why. I choose Intel for reasons outside of gaming, a professional application. They have a better track record with performance and I can't risk an AMD CPU because it requires it's own motherboard etc. It's too much effort for me to try out when i5s are amazing across the board. But for non professional applications, I hear they'll do the job.

You always had more people playing the PC than before, but now they don't really need to buy a console as well.

You're last paragraph is nonsense. Windows 8 sucks, Windows 8.1 is actually really good. Windows 10 is free and looks promising. You need to use them before you judge them, your prejudice only hurts you. But then I guess ignorance is bliss I guess.

You would have to a fool to pass on DX12. It is game changing for the PC. Console development, efficiency and optimisation is coming to the PC and you want to pass?

Don't take what I said about AMD out of context, it was only regarding the question of 'are they better than Nvidia' and their marketing, it doesn't mean they don't have their place.

And you have to understand something about the PC in general. It's about choice and customising. It's about what is best for you and your needs, not what is best in general. There is no best. For example, what would I do with a 980Ti. I don't want to push super resolutions across multiple screens. A GTX 960 would probably be best for me.

With graphics cards, all AMD need to do it change their marketing and become way more pro active with software and drivers. CPUs is a different thing, I hear mixed views and I'm not sure AMD have confidence in their own CPUs themselves.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 HalcyonScarlet

Glitch spot is acting weird with my posts.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

Meanwhile Sony is collecting pop bottle refunds in order to pay the rent. :P

Anyway, hmm, may be a good fit if.. The Price is Right.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 tdkmillsy  Online

I think Microsoft's purchase of AMD could well benefit them in many areas of the company, mobile, tablet, PC, Virtualisation, Xbox One (and future) and even cloud or servers to name some. Then there are the plans we don't know about.

If they can do it and the price is right I think they will.

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 ProtossX

@tdkmillsy said:

I think Microsoft's purchase of AMD could well benefit them in many areas of the company, mobile, tablet, PC, Virtualisation, Xbox One (and future) and even cloud or servers to name some. Then there are the plans we don't know about.

it could also lose a lot of money and microsoft hasn't been having a lot of hits lately from what ive seen

tons of flops

windows 8

bing

internet explorer

sunset overdrive

you cant just keep floppin at some point u hvae to give consumers exactly what they want or u just go out business basically

throwing money at amd you gotta be cautious you gotta plan things out an be like ok is this company gonna make back our money an develop a safe an sure plan of this stuff

you don't throw money down the drain like they did with minecraft the moneys running basically its not gonna be able to keep writing off all these losses

Fuhrer_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Fuhrer_D
Member since 2011 • 1125 Posts

Interestingly, AMD is "trying" spin off the Radeon business. Precursor to Microsoft only purchasing them if its the chip business? Maybe so. Though about picking up AMD at its 52 week low of $2.14, but I decided to hold off. Hopefully I'm not missing a Microsoft buying train like I did holding off on Nokia for a weekend.

lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4862 Posts

I've never thought about Ms purchasing them. It MIGHT be a good thing. I'm sure MS would just infuse them with cash and mostly keep hands off.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:

Samsung makes crap software, and their touchwiz suck and cripples the Android Experience

Is not that bad and touchwiz wasn't that bad either.

@tdkmillsy said:

What a load of drivel.

Recent versions of Windows is pretty secure, its targeted due to its popularity and if end users keep it up-to-date, install anti virus and use it correctly its perfectly safe. Samsung installed software that stopped the updates, a total disregard for end users.

I'll just leave this here

http://betanews.com/2015/02/22/os-x-ios-and-linux-have-more-vulnerabilities-than-windows/

Your talking out of your arse as usual, you cant help yourself dishing Microsoft with no research can you.

Yeah believe that propaganda shit fact is both have been more secure than windows for generations and still are.

Is the Windows 8 security hole really a big deal?

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2473373/microsoft-windows/is-the-windows-8-security-hole-really-a-big-deal-.html

The disclosure was made by Google as part of the Mountain View, CA-based firm's Project Zero. The project discloses vulnerabilities publicly -- as well as code required to exploit bugs -- but only after issuing affected companies with a 90-day deadline to fix problems. Microsoft was notified on October 13th 2014.

The 90-day deadline passed by, no fix was issued, and the vulnerability was disclosed. However, Betz says Microsoft requested details of the vulnerability to be kept quiet until this month's Patch Tuesday, which takes place on January 13.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-slams-google-for-spilling-the-beans-on-windows-8-1-security-flaw/

Whats that google found vulnerabilities in windows and MS got mad because they made it public 90 days after the flaw was discover and MS was advice of it.?

You know how much is 90 days pirates heaven.? And eternity..

http://www.slashgear.com/google-spills-the-beans-on-windows-security-hole-again-19365155/

And again the same crap.

That is what i say running a PC without anti virus is a syn..

@SecretPolice said:

Meanwhile Sony is collecting pop bottle refunds in order to pay the rent. :P

Anyway, hmm, may be a good fit if.. The Price is Right.

What does sony has to do in this.? Hahaha so salty...lol

@tdkmillsy said:

No if they want the best performance,they can use a Jaguar inside a tablet and charge what they do for the I5 surface pro 3.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@The_Stand_In said:

Why?

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 tdkmillsy  Online

Congrats @tormentos you have posted information about 2-3 low to medium vulnerabilities.

Of which Windows had 36-38 in 2014, while Apple Mac had 147.

Posting to information about them doesn't make the fact Apple Mac had way more any less relevant.

Microsoft didn't patch one of them cos they deemed it was to low risk and the other you had to login as an Administrator which gives you access to loads anyways.

Antivirus is pretty standard on Windows I really don't see your point. Its more to protect the user from downloading or opening things that could do harm. Not to protect the OS.

Really man give up.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By tdkmillsy  Online

@ProtossX said:
@tdkmillsy said:

it could also lose a lot of money and microsoft hasn't been having a lot of hits lately from what ive seen

tons of flops

windows 8

bing

internet explorer

sunset overdrive

you cant just keep floppin at some point u hvae to give consumers exactly what they want or u just go out business basically

throwing money at amd you gotta be cautious you gotta plan things out an be like ok is this company gonna make back our money an develop a safe an sure plan of this stuff

you don't throw money down the drain like they did with minecraft the moneys running basically its not gonna be able to keep writing off all these losses

Every company has flops, Microsoft have made way more money from its success than flops and are still doing so. The flops will have absolutely nothing to do with the plans to acquire other companies, when has it every stopped them. They are one of the few companies that can take the risk, but of course they will have a sound plan. But its not hard to see they could make it viable. Time will tell. Consumers in all the markets they are in want different things and AMD could help in many.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#81 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

At this point I'm just hoping SOMEONE with deep pockets picks them up and makes them a competitive force to be reckoned with.

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

Having been mostly using their cards the past years I do Hope AMD manage to secure a deal with a huge investor which has enough resources to finance their R&D on future hardware cause the GPU & CPU markets need to have good competition..

The_Stand_In

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 The_Stand_In
Member since 2010 • 1179 Posts

@StormyJoe said:
@The_Stand_In said:

Why?

Because they are finally somewhat back on their feet in the GPU department and if ZEN turns out to be just as good, they could close the gap a little on Intel with CPUs.

I just don't see MS buying AMD for parts it gets elsewhere from Intel and Nvidia (see all their products EXCEPT Xbox One). Superior parts at that (I know AMD guys, sue me). Even with the in house price advantage, it won't be enough to stop the near monopoly Intel has or significantly hinder the juggernaut Nvidia has become because in the PC market, especially laptops and tablets, MS/AMD -hardware- is almost nonexistent. And as far as R&D, you can't just throw money at it and expect results. You need people who know what they are doing. I'm not calling AMD incompetent or anything, I'm just saying Intel scoops up WAY more people than AMD for this and I don't think MS could significantly change that.

A lot of that is speculation and opinion, of course but I just can't see AMD selling out at this point in time. Maybe in the future IF they are about to go under, but not now.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@Heil68: the video card part of and is the part that is at least treading water. The processor battle on the other hand is a slaughter with Intel dominating it. It's so bad when amd made that unique custom hour glass water cooling build to show off the fury, it had a Intel I7 in it...

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 StormyJoe

@The_Stand_In said:
@StormyJoe said:
@The_Stand_In said:

Why?

Because they are finally somewhat back on their feet in the GPU department and if ZEN turns out to be just as good, they could close the gap a little on Intel with CPUs.

I just don't see MS buying AMD for parts it gets elsewhere from Intel and Nvidia (see all their products EXCEPT Xbox One). Superior parts at that (I know AMD guys, sue me). Even with the in house price advantage, it won't be enough to stop the near monopoly Intel has or significantly hinder the juggernaut Nvidia has become because in the PC market, especially laptops and tablets, MS/AMD -hardware- is almost nonexistent. And as far as R&D, you can't just throw money at it and expect results. You need people who know what they are doing. I'm not calling AMD incompetent or anything, I'm just saying Intel scoops up WAY more people than AMD for this and I don't think MS could significantly change that.

A lot of that is speculation and opinion, of course but I just can't see AMD selling out at this point in time. Maybe in the future IF they are about to go under, but not now.

Interesting.

From what I read, AMD is ripe for acquisition right now. Given that Intel and Nvidia are quite viable entities, the market is far from a place where there would be any anti-trust issues. If my math is correct, MS could buy AMD and have 100% ROI in 3-5 years based on XBox One chip savings alone. Plus, they would get revenue from all of AMD's other lines.

Sounds like a good investment to me.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By StormyJoe

@ProtossX All those "flops" as you say, and they still keep having stellar 10Ks. Perhaps you should research a company before making such claims.

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts

I could see AMD being bought out sometime this year, the release of Zen will likely be a good turning point. Doubt it will be MS though. I would expect Google or Samsung.

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#88  Edited By CrashNBurn281
Member since 2014 • 1574 Posts

If M$ bought AMD, PlayStation would be just fine. AMD could use the help and gamers in the end would benefit. Microsoft is interested in profits, and a happy Sony customer means more money.

As long as I get to keep playing great Sony exclusives, I am happy.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#89 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

Bogus rumor from a lolworthy source. The last thing MS wants to do is get into a pissing contest with Intel, and for what purpose? GAME CONSOLES? A business investors (rightly) view as completely ancillary to MS's core businesses going forward? GTFO.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#92 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9729 Posts

Uh, don't they already work together?

Pariah-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Pariah-
Member since 2009 • 787 Posts

@Gamerno6666:

No....No....Please God, no.

playharderfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 playharderfool
Member since 2009 • 2085 Posts

It's clear to see which group of fanboys are more company hores than gamers.

rapt0rx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 rapt0rx
Member since 2007 • 141 Posts

@mesome713: steam is a horrible platform

RedentSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 RedentSC
Member since 2013 • 1243 Posts

@mesome713 said:

@AM-Gamer: Samsung can do it, look at their track record, its amazing, also their quailty is off the charts, my Samsung Tab, Galaxy Phones, and my Samsung Monitor all work perfect. Im always amazed at the quailty and price, they are perfect. Samsung would be perfect to replace Sony, they have already replaced them in about everything else, so why not consoles. Samsung could buy AMD and then boom, knock Sony out the park. Samsung also got that money to spend, they could buy all types of things, could buy some studios, IPs, whatever you can think of, Samsung can do.

you kidding right? I've yet to meet a Galaxy user that has no problems with their phones. And their tablets are horrendous, poor battery life, shoddy build quality. crappy prebuilt third party parts, built by foxcon (i know most people do this but hell... at least Sony and other build their own parts and send them to Foxcon)

Samsungs profits have started to divebomb in recent months, still making a profit, but not like they were 2 years ago, nowhere near

achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts

@ten_pints said:

Can't happen, the moment they buy it the x86 license from Intel becomes null and void.

It would most likely transfer in the end...Intel uses some of AMD's stuff too ya know like the x86 64-bit extension which is used in almost all intel chips now.