Microsoft CES- 8 million Kinect Sold + 50 Million Sold Worldwide

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts

[QUOTE="AdmiralBison"]

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]

This, my friends, is the power of advertising. You could sell polished s*** if you advertised it right with enough money.

XboximusPrime

what like the much hyped and perfect GT5?

it sold over 5 million, thats pretty good.

You keep posting about how the kinect numbers suck because they are shipped well Sony I am sure only released shipped numbers for Gt5. When has sony been known to post anything but shipped? So then the question is if you want to bag on kinect then why are you bragging about GT5 when it is a even lower number and also shipped?

ImaPirate0202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#102 ImaPirate0202
Member since 2005 • 4473 Posts

[QUOTE="XboximusPrime"]

[QUOTE="AdmiralBison"]

CanYouDiglt

You keep posting about how the kinect numbers suck because they are shipped well Sony I am sure only released shipped numbers for Gt5. When has sony been known to post anything but shipped? So then the question is if you want to bag on kinect then why are you bragging about GT5 when it is a even lower number and also shipped?

Because GT5 does not cost $150.

CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 CanYouDiglt

[QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"]

[QUOTE="XboximusPrime"]

ImaPirate0202

That makes it even more impressive for Kinect. It is a new product and costs $150 but it is selling in crazy numbers. People seem to love that thing. I have never tried it myself but I have to say I do hear lots of good things.
ImaPirate0202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 ImaPirate0202
Member since 2005 • 4473 Posts

[QUOTE="ImaPirate0202"]

[QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"]You keep posting about how the kinect numbers suck because they are shipped well Sony I am sure only released shipped numbers for Gt5. When has sony been known to post anything but shipped? So then the question is if you want to bag on kinect then why are you bragging about GT5 when it is a even lower number and also shipped?

CanYouDiglt

That makes it even more impressive for Kinect. It is a new product and costs $150 but it is selling in crazy numbers. People seem to love that thing. I have never tried it myself but I have to say I do hear lots of good things.

People are buying a new product that had a $500 million dollar advertising campaign? This is unheard of.

Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#105 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

This, my friends, is the power of advertising. You could sell polished s*** if you advertised it right with enough money.

foxhound_fox

After selling the garbage that is Kinect, Microsoft's marketing is living proof of that.

XboximusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 XboximusPrime
Member since 2009 • 5405 Posts

[QUOTE="XboximusPrime"]

[QUOTE="AdmiralBison"]

CanYouDiglt

If it was shipped, then fine.But you dont know if it was shipped. you cant assume everything fromSONY or any companyis shipped when they say sold because then whatsgoing to happenif they are telling the truth?I dont know if those were shipped. I now know Kinect numbers are shipped. I cant assume everything is shipped until I know its shipped. If I find out GT 5 numbers were shipped, great, ill start saying 5 million shipped. The thing that really sucks is we dont have a relaible source anymore for these stats. So its going to be a bunch of flip flopping, wording certain ways, and general confusion.

-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#107 -Renegade
Member since 2007 • 8340 Posts
And people laughed at me when I told em Kinect would be a hit.i5750at4Ghz
Well I am laughing inside because it is. Just means more s***** games for the console. :lol:
shinrabanshou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 shinrabanshou
Member since 2009 • 8458 Posts

If it was shipped, then fine.But you dont know if it was shipped. you cant assume everything fromSONY or any companyis shipped when they say sold because then whatsgoing to happenif they are telling the truth?I dont know if those were shipped. I now know Kinect numbers are shipped. I cant assume everything is shipped until I know its shipped. If I find out GT 5 numbers were shipped, great, ill start saying 5 million shipped. The thing that really sucks is we dont have a relaible source anymore for these stats. So its going to be a bunch of flip flopping, wording certain ways, and general confusion.

XboximusPrime

You should assume everything is shipped unless specified sold-through.

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#109 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

[QUOTE="Sword-Demon"][QUOTE="epicstory"]

Looks like Kinect helped further the gap again.

ImprovedMind

how would you know? we haven't gotten the ps3 numbers yet :| and apparently, those 360 numbers are quite close to what they were last year.

General disappointments and no system sellers. Do we even need to wait for the PS3 numbers?

though a disappointment critically, GT5 is practically the definition of a system seller. and if the ps3's 2010 lineup was full of "general disappointments", then what was the 360's? :?

so yes.. we do need to wait for the ps3 numbers before we start saying that the gap has gotten bigger/smaller

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15592 Posts

That's pretty sad considering the game library for kinect is nonexistent.

Buying potential is always fun. That's why I'm so glad I bought APB.

Also FF14 (just kidding that has no potential).

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#111 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

Are sales indicative of quality?

i5750at4Ghz

YES!

Then Wii won.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ec2b2cb7a41e
deactivated-5ec2b2cb7a41e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#112 deactivated-5ec2b2cb7a41e
Member since 2008 • 2058 Posts

None of those sales are deserved. Its called excessive marketing, Kinect was advertised on cereal boxes.

KevinPlanet

HAHAHAHA THIS IS REDICULOUS!! now that Kinektnot has sold so much we ll see some true games... lemms prepare to play kinekt ballon popping games.... wait what?? (balloonimals)

racing1750

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#113 racing1750
Member since 2010 • 14567 Posts
Regardless of what we think of Kinect those numbers are impressive. Congrats MS on the 50 million of the 360 :)
BodyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 BodyElite
Member since 2009 • 2678 Posts

And no decent first party game. How terrific.

-Snooze-
Being that kinect is the only sensor of it's kind, arnt all kinect games 1st party titles?
Avatar image for Infinite_Access
Infinite_Access

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#115 Infinite_Access
Member since 2007 • 2483 Posts

We have one for the family now. The only thing worth any praise on it is the dance central. The other games are just crap. And even the dancing gets old. Once you get past the "ooo its tracking my hand" its over.

Rockman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Rockman999
Member since 2005 • 7507 Posts
Uh that's 8 million units shipped*. ;}
lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4867 Posts

[QUOTE="lhughey"]3 people have purchased Kinects because they stopped by my house and played. Its really a neat device. The second wave of games should be interesting...aia89

it's an interesting device, yes, but what about that core audience that made the 360 sucessful? are they useless now? it's not like they have to announce 10 big exclusives here, but at least show some care? oh well, let's see what they have in store for us next week.. I'm not getting my hopes up at all, expectations are low, but it's good in case something good happens, I'd be gladly surprised!

Says the guy with the Mario avatar ;)

Its CES, they never announce games there. Why do we go through this same thing every year? "The 360 is dead. It has no games." M$ will release info about games shortly. They never rush it.

Games that are going to be released this year have been in development for over a year. They didn't stop in their tracks as soon as Kinect was released! Game developers are just realizing how successful the device is. So I would expect the onslaught of Kinect titles in about 12-18 months. Furthermore, M$ is a big company with lots of resources and good management. You act like they can't serve more than one demographic with the 360. Remember, the Xbox brand has always been the Halo box. I don't think they'll forget the kind of gamers who are the majority of users.

ianuilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 ianuilliam
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts

[QUOTE="XboximusPrime"]

shinrabanshou

You should assume everything is shipped unless specified sold-through.

This is starting to get way out of hand. SW needs to stop hating on shipped numbers and understand that it doesn't really matter if it's shipped vs sold. For all intents and purposes, they are the same, unless you see a situation where a ton are shipped one month and then absolutely none the next. As long as more are being shipped out the next month, those units shipped must be selling. It's not like sell-through numbers are somehow more accurate anyway, as they are either estimates based on extrapolated data by tracking firms, or estimates based on re-order demand by retailers. So yes, as shinrabanshou said, assume all numbers are shipped, and also, accept that there's nothing wrong with using shipped numbers.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44247 Posts

Impressive, MS has come a long way this gen, no doubt about it.

iAtrocious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 iAtrocious
Member since 2010 • 1567 Posts

I don't know why people are bashing at the Kinect for not having fun games. You need to have friends: if you don't, it's true, it won't be much fun. But I was playing Kinect Adventures and Dance Central with my friends and we were having a blast.

And Dance Central is a great game, whether you like it or not.

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts

I don't know why people are bashing at the Kinect for not having fun games. You need to have friends: if you don't, it's true, it won't be much fun. But I was playing Kinect Adventures and Dance Central with my friends and we were having a blast.

And Dance Central is a great game, whether you like it or not.

iAtrocious
Kinect can be fun but Move and the Wii are fun too when played with people. What I find ridiculous is people claiming Kinect is so much more than Move and the Wii when it hasn't done anything really different from those 2.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
So that's the result of hurling so many millions at marketing it? Hah. Colour me indifferent really, good luck to them.
ExESGO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 ExESGO
Member since 2010 • 1895 Posts
Most people bought Kinect for other purposes than what MS advertised.
bigboss5ak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 bigboss5ak
Member since 2007 • 2962 Posts

Uh that's 8 million units shipped*. ;}Rockman999

http://twitter.com/dinabass/statuses/22900915165986816

"Latest from MSFT: Kinect number is indeed sell-in. However, as per @aarongreenberg no inventory, pretty much all of them have been sold thru"

According to this most if not all of that 8 million is sold through the real number could be anywhere from 7.5 million or higher

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60721 Posts
Shipped or sold? ;)
CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 CaseyWegner
Member since 2002 • 70114 Posts

Shipped or sold? ;)Heil68

they didn't send them to retailers free of charge.

MattDistillery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 MattDistillery
Member since 2010 • 969 Posts

As far as Kinect goes (Brothers -box / my old 360) I don't see it having a gaming experience of suitable fun that I could play on my own. However me and my mates had fun playing the football (Soccor) game on Kinect sports If I recall properly however it was very minimal and disguised as a football game when in rality its the same gameplay mechanics as the rafting game.

Move (Minefree with 320GB PAL bundle)the only thing my friends have enjoyed is The Gladiator arena duel in sports champions which was very enjoyable but outside that the peripherals usless and that required 4 controller for the full experience.

None of my friends have said they would buy it at the current price points and I can't say I blame them.

seabiscuit8686

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 seabiscuit8686
Member since 2005 • 2862 Posts

It's MS up to it's normal shinannigans, Go check what packages are available to consumers at the moment and tell me they aren't doing the same thing fanboys accused Sony of doing with Blu-ray.

and FYI, my family bought me a useless 4GB slim model for x-mas that cant take the HDD from my launch 360, no HDDs available (they are $100 on sale) and the only way I could get a larger hard drive is to return it and get a kinect package.

Coincidence? With MS?

I think not.

FragTycoon
Buy a hex screw driver? Stop complaining?
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60721 Posts

[QUOTE="Heil68"]Shipped or sold? ;)CaseyWegner

That's most certainly true but stores could be sitting on them instead of them being in peoples homes. What do you think MS prefers?
h575309

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 h575309
Member since 2005 • 8551 Posts
So that's the result of hurling so many millions at marketing it? Hah. Colour me indifferent really, good luck to them.skrat_01
Its the key to selling everything. Make people think they want it, and its done. Its pretty much the reason why MS is even still in this videogame arena. They know how to market the hell out of their products.
h575309

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 h575309
Member since 2005 • 8551 Posts
[QUOTE="Heil68"][QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

Shipped or sold? ;)Heil68

That's most certainly true but stores could be sitting on them instead of them being in peoples homes. What do you think MS prefers?

As far as I know it wasnt as if Kinects were piling up all over the place. There are a ton of 360+Kinect bundles around though.
ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 ohthemanatee
Member since 2010 • 8104 Posts

[QUOTE="Heil68"]Shipped or sold? ;)CaseyWegner

unless the goods were consigned

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 CaseyWegner
Member since 2002 • 70114 Posts

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

[QUOTE="Heil68"]Shipped or sold? ;)ohthemanatee

let's be realistic.

Avatar image for deactivated-5dd711115e664
deactivated-5dd711115e664

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 deactivated-5dd711115e664
Member since 2005 • 8956 Posts

And people laughed at me when I told em Kinect would be a hit.i5750at4Ghz

That is because Kinect is a joke...so people laugh. Why is it a joke? Because since the Wii came out in 2006, the 360 fanboys have been screaming about two things over and over. First being that the 360 is the only hardcore console for hardcore gamers on the market. Second, that motion controls like the Wii uses are stupid and nobody in their right mind would want to "look stupid jumping around and waving their arms in the air".

Cut to 4 years later (give or take) and suddenly every 360 owner is a casual gamer who LOVES motion control games and especially Kinect which LITERALLY (unlike the Wii) involves jumping around and waving your arms in the air.

That is why people laugh. For years 360 fans have been bashing motion controls as the death of real gaming and now that motion control is popular, 360 fans are bragging about their love and support of motion control as if they were the ones who originally thought of it, invented it and brought it into the mainstream.

As a PS3 and Wii owner who has had both consoles since 2006 early 2007...I am done with motion control. My Wii barely gets played anymore unless my son who is 2 wants to watch it, and I couldn't care less about Move either. So you'll have to excuse me if I find the 360 fans sudden obsession and support of motion control, now that 360 has it, to STILL be a joke.

ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 ohthemanatee
Member since 2010 • 8104 Posts

[QUOTE="ohthemanatee"]

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

CaseyWegner

let's be realistic.

I know they probably weren't, but i'm just saying, you CAN ship stuff for free, that's how most TV's and household appliances are sold

Avatar image for KevinnButlerNPK
KevinnButlerNPK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 KevinnButlerNPK
Member since 2010 • 1145 Posts

[QUOTE="i5750at4Ghz"]And people laughed at me when I told em Kinect would be a hit.ZIMdoom

That is because Kinect is a joke...so people laugh. Why is it a joke? Because since the Wii came out in 2006, the 360 fanboys have been screaming about two things over and over. First being that the 360 is the only hardcore console for hardcore gamers on the market. Second, that motion controls like the Wii uses are stupid and nobody in their right mind would want to "look stupid jumping around and waving their arms in the air".

Cut to 4 years later (give or take) and suddenly every 360 owner is a casual gamer who LOVES motion control games and especially Kinect which LITERALLY (unlike the Wii) involves jumping around and waving your arms in the air.

That is why people laugh. For years 360 fans have been bashing motion controls as the death of real gaming and now that motion control is popular, 360 fans are bragging about their love and support of motion control as if they were the ones who originally thought of it, invented it and brought it into the mainstream.

As a PS3 and Wii owner who has had both consoles since 2006 early 2007...I am done with motion control. My Wii barely gets played anymore unless my son who is 2 wants to watch it, and I couldn't care less about Move either. So you'll have to excuse me if I find the 360 fans sudden obsession and support of motion control, now that 360 has it, to STILL be a joke.

As opposed to Sony who quantified the Wii and motion gaming as a fad and then quickly went out and copied it. You forgot to mention the Sony faithful and how they were the exact same way and now scream the core game mantra. Funny thinig, Nintendo has always appealed to there core audience and has done it longer with Wii . Quit implying that MS fans were the only people that felt this way and are now magically transformed...

kobedaGOAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 kobedaGOAT
Member since 2006 • 293 Posts

Welp, I guess Kinect will replace that Wii as the "sitting in the closet collecting dust" item.

Avatar image for KevinnButlerNPK
KevinnButlerNPK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 KevinnButlerNPK
Member since 2010 • 1145 Posts

Welp, I guess Kinect will replace that Wii as the "sitting in the closet collecting dust" item.

kobedaGOAT

Yeah you can create extra space by just throwing away the Move...

CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 CanYouDiglt

[QUOTE="kobedaGOAT"]

KevinnButlerNPK

That can not happen since that would imply people were actually buying the Move though.
Richymisiak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 Richymisiak
Member since 2007 • 2589 Posts
VGchartz got something right?... *shivers*
Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

[QUOTE="i5750at4Ghz"]And people laughed at me when I told em Kinect would be a hit.ZIMdoom

As opposed to the Sony exec (i forget his name will track down link if you need it) who bashed the Wii's controller for looking like an ice cream cone and then praised the move controller? How many different controllers are sony on this gen? 4 I think, if you include the eye toy which people seem to think Kinect is a rip-off of? As for motion controls in general, they are something I have zero interest in. My Wii too gathers dust (kind of like my 360 tbh, except for netflix).
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
[QUOTE="KevinnButlerNPK"]

[QUOTE="kobedaGOAT"]

CanYouDiglt

That can not happen since that would imply people were actually buying the Move though.

In amazon the Move kit has been 163 days in the top 100 best selling articles in video games. That's in the US, the "weakest" PS3 market. So yeah the thing is selling, not as ridiculously high as Kinect but after not spending $500 million in advertisement what do you expect?
kobedaGOAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 kobedaGOAT

[QUOTE="kobedaGOAT"]

KevinnButlerNPK

Sorry, I think you have me confused with someone who's braindead enough to be a console fanboy....

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
[QUOTE="kobedaGOAT"]

[QUOTE="kobedaGOAT"]

Sorry, I think you have me confused with someone who's braindead enough to be a console fanboy....

I think for a few hours kinect could be fun, but can anyone see themselves playing it over a long time? I agree with GOAT, if I bought it it would be a dust collector like my Wii soon enough.
Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 Ravensmash
Member since 2010 • 13862 Posts
Well, looks like MS got their money back from the advertising.
themyth01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#147 themyth01
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts
[QUOTE="Richymisiak"]VGchartz got something right?... *shivers*

Well they adjust (copy) from NPD, Media Create, and whatever firm does UK numbers, so it's no wonder really.
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
[QUOTE="Richymisiak"]VGchartz got something right?... *shivers*themyth01
Well they adjust (copy) from NPD, Media Create, and whatever firm does UK numbers, so it's no wonder really.

Also by the odds of probability you're always going to be correct sometimes. Getting 1 answer right doesn't make the class dunce a genius.
kobedaGOAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 kobedaGOAT

[QUOTE="kobedaGOAT"]

blue_hazy_basic

I think for a few hours kinect could be fun, but can anyone see themselves playing it over a long time? I agree with GOAT, if I bought it it would be a dust collector like my Wii soon enough.

I got the kinect as a gift. After spending a hour with Dance Central, I quickly realized how unfun it was. The urge to play an atual game, with a controller, quickly reigned supreme. People can be blinded by "brand loyalty" all they want, fact is the "you are the controller" gimmick is surely gonna hurt Kinect alot more than it's gonna help. With all its troubles, the Wii was still able to incorporate motion control into fantastic games like SMG. Kinect will never have a game remotely close. I know this and so do the people....

shinrabanshou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 shinrabanshou
Member since 2009 • 8458 Posts

[QUOTE="themyth01"][QUOTE="Richymisiak"]VGchartz got something right?... *shivers*blue_hazy_basic

Also by the odds of probability you're always going to be correct sometimes. Getting 1 answer right doesn't make the class dunce a genius.

Could someone elaborate on what exactly vgcrap got right?

In PR speak "over 50 million" likely equates to between 50.1 million and 50.6 million (at and above which becomes PR speak "almost 51 million") cumulative units shipped worldwide.

Ergo, vgchartzzzz are claiming the 360 channel is currently pretty much completely exhausted, the likelihood of which makes either makes their numbers as wrong as usual, or means Microsoft are horrendous at managing their supply chain.