Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#51 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@Desmonic said:

@foxhound_fox said:

It won't be Xbone exclusive, it will be Microsoft exclusive. It will be on Windows, Xbox and Windows Phone.

If they do anything to the PC market that made the game possible, you can bet your ass there will be DDOS attacks on the very being of Microsoft. Minecraft fans are hardcore.

SOOOO h4rdc0r3!!

Loading Video...

There are many demographics that enjoy Minecraft. And there is one that devotes their lives to it. They are the ones I was talking about.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@deadline-zero0: ''I can't believe i'm seeing people challenge MS'' - yes because ms have never failed at anything lol

You're getting dumber. I never said, MS doesn't made bad aquisitions, PR moves, and more. The point lies in the fact that MS is a multinational corp with billions in it's vaults and makggn billions more even today.

Will this increase phone and tablet sales? Yup. By considerable margins? I have no idea. Depends on what their strategy is.

My point, regarding your quote, is that i see Sony fanboys questining MS doing a business move, while the same company they champion is worse at it.

I'm not defending this aquisition, or much less saying it's smart at the current valution. I've said this countless times, it's a smart move, but the value doens't had up. It depends on what their plan is.

But on the other hand, you're actually dumb enough to pull the stupid "they could have invest in new studios/IPs, the popularity is over" argument in your own OP., using xbox graphs to try and prove this is dumb for xbox, when, this has less to do with xbox itself.

lolghostwarrior

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 DEadliNE-Zero0

Also this:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-09-12/minecraft-would-further-microsoft-ceo-s-multi-device-plan.html

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

@deadline-zero0 said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@deadline-zero0: ''I can't believe i'm seeing people challenge MS'' - yes because ms have never failed at anything lol

You're getting dumber. I never said, MS doesn't made bad aquisitions, PR moves, and more. The point lies in the fact that MS is a multinational corp with billions in it's vaults and makggn billions more even today.

Will this increase phone and tablet sales? Yup. By considerable margins? I have no idea. Depends on what their strategy is.

My point, regarding your quote, is that i see Sony fanboys questining MS doing a business move, while the same company they champion is worse at it.

I'm not defending this aquisition, or much less saying it's smart at the current valution. I've said this countless times, it's a smart move, but the value doens't had up. It depends on what their plan is.

But on the other hand, you're actually dumb enough to pull the stupid "they could have invest in new studios/IPs, the popularity is over" argument in your own OP., using xbox graphs to try and prove this is dumb for xbox, when, this has less to do with xbox itself.

lolghostwarrior

''its a smart move but value doesnt add up'' - so how is a smart move? lmao and this does have something to do with xbox, they paid originally for minecraft timed exlcuviity also in case u didnt know minecraft is a game so yes it does have something to do with xbox

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts
@Desmonic said:

SOOOO h4rdc0r3!!

Loading Video...

Reminds me of this one dude at the Giantbomb panel.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#59 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@TheGuardian03 said:

btw what's gonna happen to playstation versions of the game?

Probably stay available just won't get many updates.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#60 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@ghostwarrior786: F$#%@ waste of money. If they are doing this for their mobile phone, how are they going to get the 20 million people playing the game on Android and IoS phones to their Nokia Window phone? Are they just going to shut down the others and angry millions of gamers. This is just so F'ing stupid, it's not even funny. The game is already sold to 54 million gamers, so the continous grow is going to be small unless M$ does some serious microtransactions within the game to help recoup their billions. Unless Mojang is going to make a Minecraft 2, this whole deal will be a complete bust. They should have used that money to buy Take-Two Interactive. That would have made much more sense.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0

@ghostwarrior786 said:

''its a smart move but value doesnt add up'' - so how is a smart move? lmao and this does have something to do with xbox, they paid originally for minecraft timed exlcuviity also in case u didnt know minecraft is a game so yes it does have something to do with xbox

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12062 Posts

Way to much money for a company like this. It reminds me of all of the other foolish acquisitions we are seeing. The upside though is that Mojang at least makes a product and is profitable.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#64 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:

They aren't buying them for Minecraft tards! Mojang is obviously quite talented and MS sees them as a asset for the future.

M$ just throwing money around like it's nothing as usual.

slim70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 slim70
Member since 2005 • 768 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:

-_- Typical Microsoft. Just buy everything.

Are you fucking stupid or something? How many studios have Sony bought?

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#66  Edited By LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Microsoft's acquisition of Mojang probably won't mean the end of support for Apple, Android, PS versions of Minecraft. It probably would just mean Microsoft would then start getting some revenue for those versions of the game as well. It could also mean that Minecraft 2 and any future Mojang game will be Xbox/Windows exclusive.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#67  Edited By Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

Could have bought so many more timed exclusives with that money. lol

tonitorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#68  Edited By tonitorsi
Member since 2006 • 8692 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart said:

Microsoft's acquisition of Mojang probably won't mean the end of support for Apple, Android, PS versions of Minecraft. It probably would just mean Microsoft would then start getting some revenue for those versions of the game as well. It could also mean that Minecraft 2 and any future Mojang game will be Xbox/Windows exclusive.

If Microsoft's got a good set of people with functioning cerebrums capable of making strategical decisions that guarantee company profits/revenue...then they'll keep Minecraft and leave it open to the many platform's is already on and continue Minecraft 2 from there.

Microsoft's got a monstrous marketing campaign that can make Minecraft 2 as big or bigger than its predecessor.

If anything, I'd consider this a genus acquisition from them.

They were the best candidate to keep Minecraft alive and well, honestly.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

Majong makes lots of games available on every device and people buy and plays them. I could see MS continue to make these multi-device games but now have exclusives. MineCraft is still huge and it's not slowing down. It still pops up in the top game sales list and I think they still have conventions for it. Good acquisition by MS but I hope to see some games from it.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@tonitorsi said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

If Microsoft's got a good set of people with functioning cerebrums capable of making strategical decisions that guarantee company profits/revenue...then they'll keep Minecraft and leave it open to the many platform's is already on and continue Minecraft 2 from there.

Microsoft's got a monstrous marketing campaign that can make Minecraft 2 as big or bigger than its predecessor.

If anything, I'd consider this a genus acquisition from them.

They were the best candidate to keep Minecraft alive and well, honestly.

BS. Sony has bought and closed studios before.

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#72 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

At least I don't like Minecraft. This acquisition means nothing to me

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0

@scottpsfan14 said:
@slim70 said:

@scottpsfan14 said:

-_- Typical Microsoft. Just buy everything.

Are you fucking stupid or something? How many studios have Sony bought?

Sony have their own in house studios they built up. MS just buy established studios and/or games.

They have 7 studios, 8 with Santa Monica, that do any actually good exclusives.

And of those, Sony bougth Naughty Dog, and i believe Sucker Punch and Guerrila Games aswell. IMHO, they're the "3 main studios"

If MS bought From Software, Platinum Games, CD Project Red, and other private devs, everyone would flip their shit, despites half of Sony's 1st party having been the same, and the fact that it's up to the studios themselves to decide.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

@clyde46 said:

So Mojang are actually going to accept this?

If it's a serious offer, Mojang would do well to accept. That's more than enough for the entire studio's retirement plan along with bonuses and funding for an entirely new studio, should Notch feel like it.

Avatar image for ninjapirate2000
ninjapirate2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 ninjapirate2000
Member since 2008 • 3347 Posts

So when cows buy Minecraft they're now directly supporting ms.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

...yeah, I'm pretty sure MS has done some sort of analysis and they know what they're doing

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 LegatoSkyheart

@clyde46: So has Microsoft, so whatever, it's not like Notch is going anywhere before or after that.

GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

I'm guessing its just a big gamble on their part.... or they know something we don't.

lglz1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By lglz1337
Member since 2013 • 4959 Posts

and there you have it minecraft 2 kinect the ultimate edition, so sad to see another studio going RARE

plz buy our phones lol

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#81 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I never got into Minecraft. I just don't understand why everyone seems to love it.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

@lostrib said:

...yeah, I'm pretty sure MS has done some sort of analysis and they know what they're doing

is it the same people that analysed the market for zune, windows phone, bing etc. would be a good idea? because those guys know what they are doing

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@Telekill said:

I never got into Minecraft. I just don't understand why everyone seems to love it.

You have to create the entertainment in Minecraft.

Watch this.

Loading Video...

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#84 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

Microsoft is looking to buy Mojang, not just Minecraft

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

Why not just buy Capcom while they're at it.

tymeservesfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By tymeservesfate
Member since 2003 • 2230 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:
@deadline-zero0 said:

@scottpsfan14 said:

**** knows clyde. All I know is that it was a massive waste of 2.5 bill. They could have funded multiple top class studios for that price. Fucking morons. Instead they buy a company that made an indie game that is already out on it's major compeditors console. A console that is handing M$ their arsehole btw.

MS are shit at this buisness. They are so... lackluster. Just like Windows 3.1 vs Amiga Workbench. There was no comparison lol. 640k limit, 8.3 file names. You name it, anything illogical and stupid, M$ has done it.

Holy ****, people really are morons, aren't they.

"Microsoft’s impending purchase of Mojang, the Swedish developer with 100 million players of its open world Minecraft game, is more aimed at pulling users onto the software company's obscure mobile platform than its better known PC system or Xbox game console.

The software company's Windows Phone system has only 2.5 percent of the world's smartphone market, and its Surface tablet barely more, according to tech research firm IDC. Growth is hampered because many app and game developers ignore it.

Enter Minecraft, which is the top paid app both on Apple Inc's (AAPL.O) iOS and Google Inc's (GOOGL.O) Android systems. Microsoft will unveil a $2.5 billion deal to buy its owner on Monday, according to a source briefed on the matter.

“It seems like Microsoft is looking at Mojang and Minecraft as a way to tap into this enormous cultural phenomenon," said Dave Bisceglia, Chief Executive of independent game studio Tap Lab. "If you look at iOS, Minecraft has been a top-grossing game for quite some time, if Microsoft could on Windows phones give players a unique and compelling experience that you can't get on the other platforms, that could be a driver to sell devices to existing Minecraft fans.”

"We don’t view this acquisition as a signal of Microsoft's intent to double down on Xbox but consider it an attempt to better address mobile on a cross-platform basis," said Nomura analyst Rick Sherlund in a note to clients this week. "This also appears to be consistent with (Microsoft) CEO Satya Nadella’s mobile and cloud strategy."

Microsoft is expected to pay close to $2.5 billion for Mojang, or about 8 times sales last year. That is small change for Microsoft, which has $86 billion in cash and short-term investments. But it is relatively large and expensive for game company acquisitions, which do not have a stellar record of success.

Japan's SoftBank Corp (9984.T) paid $1.53 billion for a 50 percent stake in Finnish game maker Supercell last year at about 3.5 times projected annual sales. Electronic Arts' (EA.O) $750 million acquisition of PopCap in 2011 was valued around 10 to 11 times sales.

Joost van Dreunen, Chief Executive of research firm SuperData, said the price tag ”seems like a lot for a title that has certainly not peaked but is certainly not in its initial frenzy."

He doubts that Minecraft can really help Windows phone sales: “Minecraft itself has done very well on the iOS platform, but it’s better on the iPad, the screen is bigger," he said. "I don’t see why this could drive handset sales.”

For the last time people, MS isn't going to waste 2.5Bn on an IP to boost sales of their console.

The issue with this aquisition is the valuation. MC's value mlies somewhere in 500M to 1B. 2.5 B can only mean one fo 2 things:

1- MS has an idea of how to leverage the brand to both profit of it, aswell has increase it's Phone and Tablet business

2- MS will operate at a loss, but plans to use MC to increase sales, somehow.

I can't believe i'm seeing people challenge MS, who's credit rating and profit margins rise on ayearly basis, on a business venture that goes beyond gaming, while fanboying Sony, teh same company with horrible credit rating, estimate -2Bn reserves, mediocre equity, and still invests in VR.

Holy shit

They over paid. That is a fact. I doubt Windows Phone will see a massive rise in relevancy because of Minecraft.

Microsoft is expected to pay close to $2.5 billion for Mojang, or about 8 times sales last year. That is small change for Microsoft, which has $86 billion in cash and short-term investments. But it is relatively large and expensive for game company acquisitions, which do not have a stellar record of success.

Japan's SoftBank Corp (9984.T) paid $1.53 billion for a 50 percent stake in Finnish game maker Supercell last year at about 3.5 times projected annual sales. Electronic Arts' (EA.O) $750 million acquisition of PopCap in 2011 was valued around 10 to 11 times sales.

the point...they all overpay. Its a long term business scheme. MS obviously has a plan here that no one here can comprehend yet. and he has a good how is this a bad investment but Sony's VR venture is good money spent. theres some double standards going on here lol.

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

i couldn't give 2 shits about minecraft so this affects me in no way whatsoever. doesn't seem like a smart investment for M$ though, i guess we'll have to wait and see. the minecraft phenomenon has already hit its peak.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#88 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@clyde46 said:

So Mojang are actually going to accept this?

Are you really going to ask that? or wait you might not have heard the amount 2.5 Billion $

Mojang has Minecraft but the chances of ever making a game as successful as that is 1 in 1000 trillion or they have bigger chance of being struck by lightning twice each.

So Notch and the gang at Mojang would be insane not to accept the offer particular since it doesn't even mean they lose their brand, they are still hired and not only filthy rich and not even 30 yet. Not to mention they have a cool job.

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#89 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

@TheGuardian03 said:

btw what's gonna happen to playstation versions of the game?

Probably stay available just won't get many updates.

Hypothetically, couldn't Sony just continue to license the game so it'll stay up-to-date?

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

Mojang is a one hit wonder. So, I`m guessing MS thinks lightning will strike twice with these guys lol MS throwing its money around until something sticks.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 LegatoSkyheart

@Desmonic said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@clyde46: So has Microsoft, so whatever, it's not like Notch is going anywhere before or after that.

Fairly certain Notch will leave after the acquisition to do whatever. The burden of a Minecraft 2 is too great already. After this, it'll only increase.

Like I said. It's not like he's going anywhere.

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#92  Edited By speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

@ghostwarrior786 said:

source - announcement coming monday

''Mojang revenue topped $237 million in 2012, while a Wall Street Journal article reports that number to have hit $326 million for 2013, which in turn translates to almost $128 million in profit'' <<this is with minecraft being avaible on all platforms, if they make it x1 exclsuive how long will it take for ms to recoup that 2.5bn? #lol

here is an image of ms gaming division p/l. as u can see the division overall has been nothing but a loss. up till 2012 anyway, no data since then

how stupid are ms? lems should be super pissed right now, instead of investing that 2.5bn in new games and opening new studios these clowns are buying out minecraft dev, a game thats on the system anyway

makes 0 sense to me, what are they going to do? make it x1 exclusive? its already out on ps4

You are the one being pissed now.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@deadline-zero0 said:
@Desmonic said:

@deadline-zero0 said:

The move is smart. The valuation is strange.

While Minecraft can be extended beyond xbox and gaming, ense, the reason why they bought it, i can't see the potential return for 2.5Bn.

Sony would faint with this kind of money.

Starting to think they're ready to operate at a loss for the sake of the IP and brandign potential. Perhaps attract a younger audiance to it's devices and services usign MC? Would make sence.

LOL SW thinking this about xbox. Stop being stupid people

Even as a brand in its entirety (that is, including merchandising and everything non-gaming) it's still a very hard sell for $2.5 billion.

Unless there are some very, very juicy plans for the series which we (the general public) don't know yet, it's a very odd valuation even when considering the non-gaming reality. Maybe there are plans for a cartoon/kid series? I sort of could see that working with the franchise.. Maybe a movie? Not sure how well it would work though. Or perhaps just plans for more licensing (aka, Lego Minecraft and the sort).

Then we need to also consider that at these sort of prices, the potential for a backfire is immense. MS may or may not be making a mistake in the long run. I mean after paying $2.5billion for something expectations will be high, which is what might "hurt" them (or the franchise in particular) more than anything.

Again, the point might not be a profitable venture at 2.5Bn.

MS, and many other multinationals operate at losses in some ventures for teh sake of market exposure and attempt at entering them. You know, like Bing, which loses more than 1.1 BN for MS per year. It's costed them more than 10Bn in it's life time, and they still support it despite Google's market share control.

Even if they lose money on this, provided so form of return, you're only looking at small 2 to 1Bn in losses, for a company that, in cash reserves alone, has an estimated 80 Billion US dollars. **** me.

You're point about cartoons, movies, is possibly correct. Also, they'll take cuts from every sales of the game even on other platforms (still topping charts today), merchandize, spin off titles (MC platformers and kart racing?) and of coruse, they can make a sequel, put on every platform except PS and Wii, and there you go.

Again, the problem lies in the high valuation. 1bn would be the max i can see for profitability, even with other ventures.

Ense, why i said that they might be ready to approach it at a loss for the sake of obtaining a new mascot that can be associated with theyr products and therefore draw in an audiance.

Like is said, this has nothing to do with the xbox division. 2.5 Bn is enough to buy exclusivity for Madden and FIFA for the next 5 years (500 million per year)

Ehmm, i think you need to recheck some of your "facts" there mate.

Microsoft Corp as whole had a 6 billion$ opr. income and in Q3 June 2014 only made 23 Billion $ in rev.

Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts

Just shows hillariously useless being talented is, and how much money M$ can afford to just throw at a problem until it starts being cash flow positive (Even if they spend more than they will ever make)

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#95 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17425 Posts

Some of you are looking at this potential deal with an extremely narrow view.

First of all, they are buying the company..........not just the IP.

Windows Phone had been failing for a while............this gives them life. Mojang makes more than just Minecraft.

Minecraft alone is worth 1.5B with all of the revenue it brings in. Think of the hype and reception of Minecraft 2.

Im not saying i support the decision......but it is a smart business decision. The new CEO clearly knows what he is doing.

No Balmer = my renewed trust in the company. Also, having Phil Harrison and Phil Spencer in charge of Xbox means great things. I know it is hard to forget the past, but the new leadership has ALREADY invested in new studios, new IPs, reversed the indie policies, nearly free dev kits, etc. I know some of you will hate them regardless, but i have renewed faith in the gaming division. This purchase doesnt mean they are investing LESS in games. This is a Microsoft-as-a-company purchase. It helps them immensely in the mobile and PC market. Minecraft is like icing on the cake. Imagine the games they could create with more people, more funding, better advertising.

Yea, it sucks if Minecraft isnt on PS consoles, but i doubt MS would make that move. The only way to make the purchase pay off in a relatively short amount of time (5-10yrs) is to either put it on many platforms or add DLC. Paid DLC would break the game because not everyone would download it.

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 RoboCopISJesus
Member since 2004 • 2225 Posts

PC, always making the most played and famous genres.

Lets hope for Lemmings sake this upcomming game stays exclusive for once.

GamersJustGame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 GamersJustGame
Member since 2014 • 323 Posts

@ghostwarrior786: but MS has just recently opened up new game development studios.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Omg. I don't think this was a wise purchase...
So much money...
Unless the phone market is involved... Even then...

GamersJustGame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 GamersJustGame
Member since 2014 • 323 Posts

I just bought it a few days ago on PS4. Will it still be supported on PS4?

Avatar image for EducatingU_PCMR
EducatingU_PCMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#100 EducatingU_PCMR
Member since 2013 • 1581 Posts

No wonder Mojang's sudden change of mind with the OR support for minecraft lol, M$ owns his ass now.