Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#301 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:

@Shewgenja said:

Albert Einstein said that Quantum Mechanics was unfounded flim-flam. What's your point?

The investment was more than a single game, as was outlined in my initial sentence. Did I actually need to point that out?

Seems like a non-sequitur. They've only made one game to establish reputation on. 2.5 Billion was hedged on a dev studio with the merit of one single game.

This is the part where I point out that Titanfall was supposed to be a sure bet, as well. Yet again, a studio more or less built from the runoff of the CoD success but ultimately didn't reinvent the FPS as was promised.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#302  Edited By Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50557 Posts

Didn't the main dude behind the company leave it too?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#303  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

Seems like a non-sequitur. They've only made one game to establish reputation on. 2.5 Billion was hedged on a dev studio with the merit of one single game.

This is the part where I point out that Titanfall was supposed to be a sure bet, as well. Yet again, a studio more or less built from the runoff of the CoD success but ultimately didn't reinvent the FPS as was promised.

That isn't to say they have not established a brand. It's not solely a single game, but more of the profit margin that the game has brought.

My initial dispute was that the comparison in spending was moot.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#304 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

What's to gain? You buy the name mine craft, which will still be on other consoles. A sequel from different designers? Not a fan of minecraft, but this is like buying a jersey off Michael Jordan's back and playing for the bulls the following day.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#305 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

lol love how people don't understand business and even still buy into some idiotic idea that Microsoft will kill all versions of minecraft except that which is on pc, xbox...etc
Minecrack makes multimillions a year in game sales alone, then you add in the toys, and other shit people buy?

Come on this is a gold mine.

tymeservesfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#306 tymeservesfate
Member since 2003 • 2230 Posts

@GrenadeLauncher: bullshit

cantloginnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#307  Edited By cantloginnow
Member since 2013 • 381 Posts

The cows are mad microsoft will pull in more money with this deal than Sony as a whole.

Im sure if this was Sony's deal it would be the end of Xbox.Right?

iSuggest_U_Run

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#308 iSuggest_U_Run
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Who cares? Mojang was a one trick pony anyway.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#309 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

@tymeservesfate said:

@GrenadeLauncher: bullshit

Wow, son, you sure convinced me with that hot counter-argument.

slim70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#310  Edited By slim70
Member since 2005 • 768 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

You people realize that MS isn't buying them for the studio but for the brand right? Notch and all the head guys leaving is irrelevant. Minecraft is fucking huge. They basically just bought the digital version of legos. Im sure with all the merchandise, the movie and with skin packs and expansions they'll break even in no time. Still, I would have preferred that they opened a bunch of new studios to make games with 2.5 billion.

They just purchased 5 studios just recently there was a thread posted here about it.

xLittlekillx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#311 xLittlekillx
Member since 2005 • 1833 Posts

Wow. RIP in pieces Sony.

SoftwareGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#312 SoftwareGeek
Member since 2014 • 573 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

@lundy86_4 said:

@Shewgenja said:

Albert Einstein said that Quantum Mechanics was unfounded flim-flam. What's your point?

The investment was more than a single game, as was outlined in my initial sentence. Did I actually need to point that out?

Titanfall is way fun. Not sure what your unrealistic expectations are.

SoftwareGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#313 SoftwareGeek
Member since 2014 • 573 Posts

@treedoor said:
@softwaregeek said:

They'll never make back 2.5 billion dollars on it. If they make it exclusive and sell it for $30 and move 2.5 million copies that's only 75 million bux. If it helps drive sales of phones, consoles, devices, then they might get a little closer.

Yeah, that's the thing.

It won't make $2.5 billion off its own sales, but imagine if the game drives the sale of 10 million more Xbox consoles, helps boost their phone division up a few percent, or they start pushing even more merchandising, or a tv show, or movie.

The thing I'd be worried about is if a new indie game came in that replaced Minecraft. The game is old, and outdated, and could easily be outdone by a similar game made in pretty much any other engine. If that were to happen, and that game caught on with the current Minecraft crowd, then it might make this whole buyout a waste of money.

But then again I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Minecraft clone already made in Unity, Unreal, or something else, which never caught on. Minecraft might have staying power for many more years.

Minecraft is too popular. It's unlikely anything will replace it. People have too much time invested in it. MS has a chance to improve it and release a 2nd version of it. They may even make your game saves work across devices so you play it on your phone, then load up what you've done on your xbox etc. who knows. that's a lot of money to pay for minecraft. but it's MS, they got money to burn.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#314  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@softwaregeek said:

Titanfall is way fun. Not sure what your unrealistic expectations are.

It was a pretty decent game. Held my interest pretty well until Infamous came out but the limited number of players and lack of content made it more like a $40 game imho. 'Twas no Battlefield 2, that's for sure.