Lightning Returns GS Review - 5

• 154 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Jakandsigz said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

Bad game confirmed. LOL Final Fantasy.

Not really considering other reviews.

You need to remove the fansites and the paid for review.

LOL......wasn't using those. GS is an outlier review site. For the most parts it's reviews are off from other review sites. So add a couple points and you get in the ball park with what the score should be. FF games aren't going to be everyone's game du jour.....but 5? That score should belong to a game that's poorly made. I'd say the 7s I've seen are more in line with the game.

A 5 is for a game that is mediocre while a 7 would be for a good game. Looking at metacritic they really aren't much of an outlier

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46283 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:

No, you do that for GS reviewed PC games, and annual shooter bro games. :P

So you just like to make up your own scores ?

So do I :P

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178845 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

@DocSanchez said:

FfXIII was a waste of time and they should've moved on after one not constructed this daft trilogy. There really is nothing to it.

Stubborn ass SE. Years before FFXIII even released they were hell bent on shoving this "Fabula Nova Crystallis" bullshit down our throats. Instead of releasing a game, observing the reception and then deciding where to go from there, they just assumed that had some brilliant universe that everyone would love.

Kind of funny when you think about it. All the well received FFs that they released in the past as well as other strong RPGs under their belt and they do little to nothing to expand on them. Which would be fine... but then they turn around milk the worst received game in the series to date.

It's like they think if they just keep pushing it on us we'll learn to love these pos characters and this nonsense universe.

Uh Huh? Most games are in development long before you hear of them. I don't think the story is the main criticism of the games anyway....so what does it matter if they want a three game story?

They could have crafted another story but had the same problems.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

get ready for one of the worst endings ever, the writing in the whole trilogy it's so painful to listen and read, I MEAN WTF?!

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

wow what a shocker, more trash from japanese development that lost almost all relevance 15 years ago and is chugging along on reputation and one good game every 2 or three years.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178845 Posts

@lostrib said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Jakandsigz said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

LOL......wasn't using those. GS is an outlier review site. For the most parts it's reviews are off from other review sites. So add a couple points and you get in the ball park with what the score should be. FF games aren't going to be everyone's game du jour.....but 5? That score should belong to a game that's poorly made. I'd say the 7s I've seen are more in line with the game.

A 5 is for a game that is mediocre while a 7 would be for a good game. Looking at metacritic they really aren't much of an outlier

I wasn't talking about just one game. Anyway....if other sites are saying 7....then one site saying 5 shouldn't be the defining score. I don't go by review scores anyway.....I think it's silly...but I've always found GS scores to be suspect.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#57  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

@Bigboi500 said:

No, you do that for GS reviewed PC games, and annual shooter bro games. :P

So you just like to make up your own scores ?

So do I :P

We all do. I've felt for years that GS over-rates console shooter rehashes and sometimes under-rates JRPGs. Guess it all depends on one's own personal preferences and previous experiences.

John_Matherson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#58  Edited By John_Matherson
Member since 2013 • 2085 Posts

And to think I even considered making an hype thread.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

@lostrib said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Jakandsigz said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

I wasn't talking about just one game. Anyway....if other sites are saying 7....then one site saying 5 shouldn't be the defining score. I don't go by review scores anyway.....I think it's silly...but I've always found GS scores to be suspect.

Yes but other sites are saying 60, and 50, and 40 as well. Just saying they aren't too far out there. The average at the moment is 68, so yes it seems close to a 7 game though Metacritic doesn't do a straight average they use some weird weighting system

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAhahahaha and Rightfully so.

Lightning is a TERRIBLE character, HORRIBLY monotone with NO Emotion. The crappy score is perfect for what she is, CRAP lol

@princessgomez92 Where you at? Lol Dodging this thread huh? Normally you'd be all in these threads but it seems you're awol on this one for some reason lol

PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#61 PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

Rofl, rofl, just rofl.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

@ConanTheStoner said:

@DocSanchez said:

FfXIII was a waste of time and they should've moved on after one not constructed this daft trilogy. There really is nothing to it.

Stubborn ass SE. Years before FFXIII even released they were hell bent on shoving this "Fabula Nova Crystallis" bullshit down our throats. Instead of releasing a game, observing the reception and then deciding where to go from there, they just assumed that had some brilliant universe that everyone would love.

Kind of funny when you think about it. All the well received FFs that they released in the past as well as other strong RPGs under their belt and they do little to nothing to expand on them. Which would be fine... but then they turn around milk the worst received game in the series to date.

It's like they think if they just keep pushing it on us we'll learn to love these pos characters and this nonsense universe.

Uh Huh? Most games are in development long before you hear of them. I don't think the story is the main criticism of the games anyway....so what does it matter if they want a three game story?

They could have crafted another story but had the same problems.

Hmm, not sure I get what you're saying on the first point. I understand that games are often in development before they are announced. Oddly enough, this wasn't the case with FFXIII as they didn't even have the engine up and running until a couple of years after the first trailer. XIII-2 and 3 certainly weren't under development when they announced Fabula Nova Crystallis. That's all beside the point though. They confirmed that they would be milking this universe years before the first game was even in full on production. At least they warned I guess lol.

And yeah, I didn't want to go into full rant mode and break down every poor aspect. The story isn't the only criticism, though it is a major one.

All I'm really saying is that they thought they had some hot shit on their hands before the first damn game was even in full swing production. And instead of a different course of action after the not so great reception, they just continued to try and make this XIII stuff work. They even made excuses for almost a year after XIII released instead of just sucking it up and moving on. They had this artsy "you don't understand our vision!" attitude towards critics and gamers alike.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

@nini200 said:

Lightning is a TERRIBLE character, HORRIBLY monotone with NO Emotion. The crappy score is perfect for what she is, CRAP lol

@princessgomez92 Where you at? Lol Dodging this thread huh? Normally you'd be all in these threads but it seems you're awol on this one for some reason lol

eh if your just going soly by the negative opinions then yea sure.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#64 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:

General rule of thumb regarding GS and JRPGs: If the score is under a 8.0, add 2 points for accuracy. Therefor, Lightning Returns 5.0 + 2.0 = 7.0 game.

No, because this one was reviewed by Kevin. So it stands as a 5 Game.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46283 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:

We all do. I've felt for years that GS over-rates console shooter rehashes and sometimes under-rates JRPGs. Guess it all depends on one's own personal preferences and previous experiences.

But JRPGs have barely evolved this gen, or made changes for the better.

Hmmm, the same could be said for online shooters as well, lol

The only JRPG that looks interesting to me though is Ni No Kuni and that did pretty well on this site if I remember correctly. But you are right, you can't live your gaming life by copying other people's opinions (i.e. scores) there will always be differences. And anything with hype or a huge marketing budget is sure to get a good score without question. Because game reviewers get swag, or a launch party or doritos or something.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Bigboi500

@Joedgabe said:

@Bigboi500 said:

General rule of thumb regarding GS and JRPGs: If the score is under a 8.0, add 2 points for accuracy. Therefor, Lightning Returns 5.0 + 2.0 = 7.0 game.

You forgot about the Kevin/Carolyn factor...

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 nini200

@finalfantasy94 said:

@nini200 said:

Nope, not negative opinions, not even opinions. It's fact. Lightning is an emotionless uncreative character. Find a spot where Lightning actually had some emotion or character. I'll wait

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#68 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

I read articles and reviews about FF all the time. I try to like it. But everytime I try, its JRPG, emo, crap.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Joedgabe

@ConanTheStoner said:

@DocSanchez said:

Stubborn ass SE. Years before FFXIII even released they were hell bent on shoving this "Fabula Nova Crystallis" bullshit down our throats. Instead of releasing a game, observing the reception and then deciding where to go from there, they just assumed that they had some brilliant universe that everyone would love.

Couldn't agree more... like seriously... we need a new Parasite Eve and Brave Fencer Mushashi

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Joedgabe

@Bigboi500 said:

@Joedgabe said:

@Bigboi500 said:

No because carolyn would have rated it higher because it's a female protagonist, I actually think Kevin is the only worthy reviewer in this site who's spot on.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Bigboi500

@Joedgabe said:

@Bigboi500 said:

@Joedgabe said:

@Bigboi500 said:

No because carolyn would have rated it higher because it's a female protagonist, I actually think Kevin is the only worthy reviewer in this site who's spot on.

That went right over your head. No need to duck.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 ConanTheStoner  Online

@Joedgabe said:

@ConanTheStoner said:

@DocSanchez said:

Stubborn ass SE. Years before FFXIII even released they were hell bent on shoving this "Fabula Nova Crystallis" bullshit down our throats. Instead of releasing a game, observing the reception and then deciding where to go from there, they just assumed that they had some brilliant universe that everyone would love.

Couldn't agree more... like seriously... we need a new Parasite Eve and Brave Fencer Mushashi

Or Chrono...

Who knows, it might be a good thing. They'd probably take these old IPs and turn them into something un-recognizable. Just put out any kind of trash and slap a classic name on it.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

Finally, we can put this trilogy behind us.

Over a 15 point Metacritic gap between Bravely Default and Lightning Returns. Hopefully the sales reflect that and Square finally gets the message.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Joedgabe

@ConanTheStoner said:

@Joedgabe said:

@ConanTheStoner said:

@DocSanchez said:

Or Chrono...

Who knows, it might be a good thing. They'd probably take these old IPs and turn them into something un-recognizable. Just put out any kind of trash and slap a classic name on it.

True.... thought a lot of people loved it they did kept tomb Raider away from it's original game genre.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 finalfantasy94

@nini200 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:

@nini200 said:

Nope, not negative opinions, not even opinions. It's fact. Lightning is an emotionless uncreative character. Find a spot where Lightning actually had some emotion or character. I'll wait

doesint matter what I put your going to disagree regardless.Lighting is restrained when it comes to full on emotion though I saw she did care about her sister.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 finalfantasy94

@Joedgabe said:

@ConanTheStoner said:

@DocSanchez said:

we did get a new parasite eve with some great gameplay.The story was crap however.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 ConanTheStoner  Online

@Joedgabe said:

@ConanTheStoner said:

@Joedgabe said:

@ConanTheStoner said:

@DocSanchez said:

Or Chrono...

True.... thought a lot of people loved it they did kept tomb Raider away from it's original game genre.

Yeah, SE seems great as a publisher. It's their internal developments that seem to be coming up short. Maybe now that this XIII stuff is behind us there might be better days ahead. I like to think that they just had a weak gen and they'll be back on the ball soon.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#78 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

lol at FFXIII and its pointless sequels.

Meanwhile I am enjoying Bravely Default a lot (even with its bad voice acting).

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Can they please move on from the XIII games then?

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 ConanTheStoner  Online
@seanmcloughlin said:

Technically we still have one more game coming, just re-branded as FFXV lol.

At least it's only loosely based in the same universe according to SE. Plus different director, play style and all that. Still looks like shit to me, but I'm willing to wait and see how it turns out before completely disregarding it.

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

Not sure why they even bothered making two sequels to ff13 when the reception was mediocre at best.

And when people were begging for ffv13, they pushed it back for almost a decade.

It's like they're actively trying to piss off their fans.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#82 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

@nini200:

Me, I was just playing games.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#83 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

People someone hit the nail on the head. Imagine a new chrono trigger. With great graphics and a time travel element. Instead what do we get? The least adventurous RPG of all time, with the most miserable characters. Three times over. Thanks SE.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By nini200

@finalfantasy94 said:

@nini200 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:

@nini200 said:

doesint matter what I put your going to disagree regardless.Lighting is restrained when it comes to full on emotion though I saw she did care about her sister.

No, if you can show me a moment where Lightning actually had emotion, I'll actually sort of stop my dislike for the character as much. Thing is, you can't find such a moment.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By DocSanchez

@Bigboi500: So if it's a 7 it magically becomes a 9 but if it's an 8 it stays at 8. Right that's not confusing.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 nini200

@princessgomez92 said:

@nini200:

Well, um, you should get mad >.<

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By DocSanchez

I have to say as bad as Lightning it as a character (and she is, she's awful.) she's not even the third worst in this series. That's how colossally bad it is. Hope is the worst. Christ. Hope, Vanille, that sister of hers. Who the **** wrote this? Stephanie Meyer?

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 ConanTheStoner  Online

@DocSanchez said:

I have to say as bad as Lightning it as a character (and she is, she's awful.) she's not even the third worst in this series. That's how colossally bad it is. Hope is the worst. Christ. Hope, Vanille, that sister of hers. Who the **** wrote this? Stephanie Meyer?

I was about to say don't forget Snow... but I guess I should really just say don't forget everyone, because pretty much everyone sucked.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By DocSanchez

@ConanTheStoner: I had forgotten Snow. Ever existed. Not a good sign.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3221 Posts

Now the question is will FF 15 end up being good or bad? It's funny how the Enix part is still good with the Dragon Quest games but the Square part is terrible with the Final Fantasy games though it could be because the creator of Dragon Quest is still working on them while the FF creator left a long time ago.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

Ryse and Knack got exposed.

Knack? Expose? the game had no hype and most people werent interested.

Ryse on the other hand was being hyped and claimed to be AAAE.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#92  Edited By PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

@nini200 said:

@princessgomez92 said:

@nini200:

Well, um, you should get mad >.<

Nah, I don't care about scores.

And since we're talking about Metacritic as well, there's also scores in the 80's. Just saying.

Solid_Link22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Solid_Link22
Member since 2006 • 5698 Posts

i'll get it from the bargain bin

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52427 Posts
@Nengo_Flow said:

A: I'm joking. Lighten up.

B: Ryse's hype was as fake as Lightning's boobjob in this game. You wanna count a few lems boasting about Ryse's visuals. Then you might as well take the cows that went all "cerny's on board!!!!" during Knack's previews as true hype.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#95 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

I read articles and reviews about FF all the time. I try to like it. But everytime I try, its JRPG, emo, crap.

If you want to play a JRPG you would like, try Persona.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

I expected a 5 or 6 and got exactly that. This game is better than Ryse tho!

insanegame377

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 insanegame377
Member since 2013 • 392 Posts

@shawn30 said:

Square has fallen so hard, so fast its damn near unbelievable. An entire trilogy of shit. Wow...

Which is exactly why I fear XV may well be even worse than XIII. The 5/10 score for Lightning Returns doesn't surprise me at all, in fact I thought it may well have been lower than that.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#98 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@charizard1605: is the vita one ok? my other buddy, from LI who has the X1 and PS4 and every other console ever fvckin made, said download, chronotrigger for vita.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

@Nengo_Flow said:

A: I'm joking. Lighten up.

B: Ryse's hype was as fake as Lightning's boobjob in this game. You wanna count a few lems boasting about Ryse's visuals. Then you might as well take the cows that went all "cerny's on board!!!!" during Knack's previews as true hype.

what are you talking about? RYSE was been hyped AAAE for about a year lems were supremely confident about it being an XBOX One exclusive that would reach AAA status the fastest across the board.

There were hype threads claiming it.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:
@seanmcloughlin said:

Technically we still have one more game coming, just re-branded as FFXV lol.

At least it's only loosely based in the same universe according to SE. Plus different director, play style and all that. Still looks like shit to me, but I'm willing to wait and see how it turns out before completely disregarding it.

Yeah I have a feeling that game will be crap too from what I've seen.

Square just can't seem to recapture the magic these days, they're trying too hard to fit in with the rest of the world instead of doing what made their games great