Lightning Returns GS Review - 5

• 154 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#101 Edited by charizard1605 (54313 posts) -

@charizard1605: is the vita one ok? my other buddy, from LI who has the X1 and PS4 and every other console ever fvckin made, said download, chronotrigger for vita.

Persona 4 Golden for the Vita? Yes, that is the best possible entry into the series, and into the genre. The only issue will be you will never play another one that will match up lol.

Chrono Trigger is an amazing game, but don't get the one from the PSN Store, that one is bullshit. I recommend hunting down the DS version, that one has all the enhancements of the PS1 version, but none of the stupid loading times, in addition to more content and further DS specific enhancements you can't get anywhere else.

Basically, if you want to play the game, it should be DS>SNES (the one you can get on Wii as well)>PS1 (the one that you can get on PS3, PSP, and PS Vita as well)

#102 Posted by ConanTheStoner (4462 posts) -

@charizard1605: is the vita one ok? my other buddy, from LI who has the X1 and PS4 and every other console ever fvckin made, said download, chronotrigger for vita.

You can't go wrong with Chrono Trigger, excellent old school game. If you end up enjoying Chrono, be sure to check out FFVI as well.

#103 Edited by DocSanchez (1392 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin: Who are they fitting in with? The world demands customisation, freedom, choice. Instead of taking what FF made great and modernising it they've just watered everything down and souped up the graphics.

#104 Posted by freedomfreak (38132 posts) -

what are you talking about? RYSE was been hyped AAAE for about a year lems were supremely confident about it being an XBOX One exclusive that would reach AAA status the fastest across the board.

There were hype threads claiming it.

Nonsense. It has been considered a pretty joke since the E3 showing. A few fakeboys don't change that. Legit posters weren't expecting greatness.

#105 Posted by GamingGod999 (2891 posts) -

It's over!

#106 Edited by cainetao11 (15782 posts) -

@charizard1605: As usual, thanks bro. I will hunt it down for my 3DS' BC. Have you seen any of the Cow hypocrisy in other threads? Am I on serious drugs or something?

#107 Posted by cainetao11 (15782 posts) -

@ConanTheStoner: I am trying dude. I want to expand my horizons. I love gaming.

#108 Edited by Allicrombie (25085 posts) -

I tried to like FFXIII but couldnt get past Chapter 6. The terrible story and bad characters really annoyed me. Can't believe they made two sequels. It's like they have a bunch of monkeys working there now. Not the smart monkeys either, I mean the ones that fling poo. =P

#109 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (12755 posts) -

It's not like square is incapable of making good games anymore for consoles. Hell, we had nier a while back that whilst not perfect was infinitely more amazing than any of the 13 games.

#110 Edited by nini200 (9354 posts) -

@nini200 said:

@princessgomez92 said:

@nini200:

Me, I was just playing games.

Well, um, you should get mad >.<

Nah, I don't care about scores.

And since we're talking about Metacritic as well, there's also scores in the 80's. Just saying.

You can't be all happy about this, you should be furious. This is System Wars for crying out loud lol

#111 Posted by Masculus (2800 posts) -

Ha.

I wonder why they bothered making another.

#112 Edited by charizard1605 (54313 posts) -

@charizard1605: As usual, thanks bro. I will hunt it down for my 3DS' BC. Have you seen any of the Cow hypocrisy in other threads? Am I on serious drugs or something?

Cows are always hypocrites, so that's not news for me :P

You should have a whole lotta fun with both Chrono Trigger and P4G!

#113 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3217 posts) -

@nini200:

It's all sunshine and rainbows here, silly.

#114 Posted by vincent380 (2237 posts) -

Interesting the scores for this one seems all over I've seen 5 6 and 7 scores. The time limit thing really doesn't matter i read long as you keep using the power to stop/slow down time. It seems everyone is saying the same thing about the battle system how great it is, its just everything else around it that sucks.

Anyway like I've seen saying i just wanna move on from the FF13 universe I'm tired of lightning and everything else, Only character i honestly enjoyed from FF13 was Sazh. I haven't touched FF13-2 so i won't touch this either.

#115 Posted by lightleggy (15836 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

the comment section is becoming incredibly hilarious with the XIII fanboys using the excuse that FFX was linear too. XD

FFX which had item shops, side-quests for weapons and summons, you could backtrack, the characters actually had personality and motivations, you could use every single character on every fight, the sphere grid gave you options unlike the pointless linear crystarium, etc. FFX and FFXIII are worlds apart, and this is coming from someone that didn't even like neither game. To me after XIII, FFX is like the worst FF game to date but the gap between these is pretty wide.

1.13 had items shops for weapons, and had weapon crafting. I do not remember FFX having shops for summons.

2. 13 has sidequests

3.You can backtrack in 13.

4.The personalities in both games were scripted and stereotypical. Xiii at least had one character that actually had a story someone could almost connect with.

5.You can do that in Xiii. I have no idea what point you are trying to make here.

6.The Sphere grid IS the Crystarium, just removed the pointless wait times. The are related to eachother, even the creators said that. Both are stupid.

Both games are bad but to say they are really different outside of setting is insanity.

1- I think he meant actual physical shops (and he should have probably just said "it had towns", not just clicking on a save computer to buy things from there.

2- Yes and they were literally just Go to X place and kill Y monster.

3- No, you can only backtrack in Pulse and even then its simply to go to X place to kill Y monster, in FFX you could backtrack to literally every place you had visited in the game (with the obvious exceptions of ships and the prologue section) and every single section had rewards that were unlocked only by backtracking, there are no rewards for backtracking in Pulse other than, like I already said, reaching 1 place to kill a special monster.

4- Even then, I find the cast from FFX much more relatable and enjoyable than the bland characters from XIII, not only that, but the fact that the characters from FFX always knew what they had to do, and they had clarifications and corrections from "oracle characters", characters in FFXIII are simply throwing rocks and the dark, in the end, not even they knew what the hell had happened.

5-You cant, you can only use 1 character in a fight (so why the hell did they kept a turn based combat? Isn't the whole point of turn based combat to grant you the ability to control a party simultaneously in a battle?) and you can't choose which until 20 hours in, in FFX, asides from controlling every member of your party, you could swap them mid combat with the press of a button, this was a major feature for me in FFX and one of the reasons why I loved it so much.

6- Don't you dare to compare the crystarium and the sphere grid! The sphere grid allowed you to customize your character the way you wanted it when you wanted it (given you had the necessary sphere), I could build Lulu the black mage as a badass bruiser if I had wanted to. While in FFXIII every character has a unique (and limited) crystarium, where even if you manage to reach other trees asides from the main ones (i.e making Hope a Sentinel), they would still be limited by design choices (only 3 characters could use revive as medics), so really, don't you dare comparing those 2.

And no, FFX was an amazing game, that is generally agreed upon by the majority of users and reviewers.

#116 Edited by Gue1 (9083 posts) -

@GamingGod999 said:

It's over!

Let's celebrate one more time

Now I hope I can play FFXV before I hit my 30's. Because by the way things are going the older I get the less interest I have in modern games.

#117 Posted by Mario1331 (8815 posts) -

bravely default jut came out. why do we care about thi game again?

#118 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (12755 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

@GamingGod999 said:

It's over!

Now I hope I can play FFXV before I hit my 30's. Because by the way things are going the older I get the less interest I have in modern games.

Lmao that song perfectly encompasses what it was like around here when the Xbone was revealed.

#119 Posted by Sagem28 (10498 posts) -

Called this months ago.
After playing it on Gamescom I knew this game was doody.

#120 Posted by jsolidus (124 posts) -

I looked up other reviews for this game because I never really trusted gs reviews but they have the best review for this game..Ign had a detailed review but it seemed like they wanted to give it a good review despite all the negatives. I dont remember them even mentioning the time system.. FF use to be a fun..10-2 was the last good one for me.I have 12 and 13 and they both suck..

#121 Posted by treedoor (7478 posts) -

General rule of thumb regarding GS and JRPGs: If the score is under a 8.0, add 2 points for accuracy. Therefor, Lightning Returns 5.0 + 2.0 = 7.0 game.

#122 Edited by g0ddyX (3867 posts) -

This game has a time limit that even exploring and normal story telling dialogue wastes time.
Thats bad. I do hope they do something about that because you cannot enjoy the game at all.
I actually enjoyed FF13, the enviroment and visuals were great so was the soundtrack. Am hoping this has something of that.

85/100 Machima
80/100 Play
80/100 Eurogamer
70/100 IGN
70/100 Game
50/100 Gamesradar
50/100 Gamespot
45/100 EGM

Hmm. Slightly mixed reviews.

#123 Posted by mbrockway (3345 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

the comment section is becoming incredibly hilarious with the XIII fanboys using the excuse that FFX was linear too. XD

FFX which had item shops, side-quests for weapons and summons, you could backtrack, the characters actually had personality and motivations, you could use every single character on every fight, the sphere grid gave you options unlike the pointless linear crystarium, etc. FFX and FFXIII are worlds apart, and this is coming from someone that didn't even like neither game. To me after XIII, FFX is like the worst FF game to date but the gap between these is pretty wide.

1.13 had items shops for weapons, and had weapon crafting. I do not remember FFX having shops for summons.

2. 13 has sidequests

3.You can backtrack in 13.

4.The personalities in both games were scripted and stereotypical. Xiii at least had one character that actually had a story someone could almost connect with.

5.You can do that in Xiii. I have no idea what point you are trying to make here.

6.The Sphere grid IS the Crystarium, just removed the pointless wait times. The are related to eachother, even the creators said that. Both are stupid.

Both games are bad but to say they are really different outside of setting is insanity.

*side-quests for weapons and summons,*

Reading comprehension for the win. The commas set it apart as its own group of words separate from the other groups.

#124 Posted by tubbyc (3640 posts) -

It sounds pretty bad. This doesn't inspire confidence in FFXV. Oh well, still interested to see how it turns out.

#125 Edited by Nengo_Flow (9257 posts) -

@Nengo_Flow said:

what are you talking about? RYSE was been hyped AAAE for about a year lems were supremely confident about it being an XBOX One exclusive that would reach AAA status the fastest across the board.

There were hype threads claiming it.

Nonsense. It has been considered a pretty joke since the E3 showing. A few fakeboys don't change that. Legit posters weren't expecting greatness.

Lol trying to put that spin, some hard core lems (not fakeboys) were hyping it, Loosingends before he kinda disappear

#126 Posted by freedomfreak (38132 posts) -

Lol trying to put that spin, some hard core lems (not fakeboys) were hyping it, Loosingends before he kinda disappear

Yeah, okay. Not my problem you're gullible enough to fall for the weakest trolling on the board.

Loosingends has been a running joke for a while now. He hardly posts. He only posted a bit during Bravely Default.

#127 Edited by nini200 (9354 posts) -

@nini200:

It's all sunshine and rainbows here, silly.

Dratz!!! You and your happy Gomez-ness. I'll get you next time gadget, next time

#128 Posted by zeroyaoi (1820 posts) -

Half a perfect game. Not bad. :P

#129 Posted by DocSanchez (1392 posts) -

@zeroyaoi: Yes...play it twice and it's 10/10.

#130 Edited by zeroyaoi (1820 posts) -

@DocSanchez: great replay value too. The game keeps on giving. :o

#131 Posted by The_Last_Ride (68808 posts) -

@amazonangry: i can't really take Gamespots score seriously, but the general ratings has been around 7 on other sites

#132 Posted by edwardecl (1753 posts) -

How can we make this game more shit than it already is... I know lets add a time limit.

Wait for a proper Final Fantasy game...

#133 Posted by Gaming-Planet (13699 posts) -

Not enough armpit shots.

#134 Posted by ninjapirate2000 (2923 posts) -

Are people still excited for ff15 after this disgrace of a trilogy?

#135 Posted by Gaming-Planet (13699 posts) -

Are people still excited for ff15 after this disgrace of a trilogy?

It'll be a QTE fest.

#136 Posted by good_sk8er7 (4320 posts) -

I 'm going to start playing it tonight. I'm rather excited. :)

#137 Edited by mario-galaxys (591 posts) -

@g0ddyX said:

This game has a time limit that even exploring and normal story telling dialogue wastes time.

Thats bad. I do hope they do something about that because you cannot enjoy the game at all.

I actually enjoyed FF13, the enviroment and visuals were great so was the soundtrack. Am hoping this has something of that.

85/100 Machima

80/100 Play

80/100 Eurogamer

70/100 IGN

70/100 Game

50/100 Gamesradar

50/100 Gamespot

45/100 EGM

Gametrailers gave it a 6.0/10.

#138 Posted by PsychoLemons (1902 posts) -

This game would still sell though.

#139 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8403 posts) -

This is what happens when you design a game to appeal to lemmings.

#140 Edited by finalfantasy94 (26154 posts) -

@nini200 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:

@nini200 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:

@nini200 said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAhahahaha and Rightfully so.

Lightning is a TERRIBLE character, HORRIBLY monotone with NO Emotion. The crappy score is perfect for what she is, CRAP lol

@princessgomez92 Where you at? Lol Dodging this thread huh? Normally you'd be all in these threads but it seems you're awol on this one for some reason lol

eh if your just going soly by the negative opinions then yea sure.

Nope, not negative opinions, not even opinions. It's fact. Lightning is an emotionless uncreative character. Find a spot where Lightning actually had some emotion or character. I'll wait

doesint matter what I put your going to disagree regardless.Lighting is restrained when it comes to full on emotion though I saw she did care about her sister.

No, if you can show me a moment where Lightning actually had emotion, I'll actually sort of stop my dislike for the character as much. Thing is, you can't find such a moment.

As I said one of the moments was her happynies that in the end of 13 her sister was fine.

#141 Posted by GreySeal9 (23921 posts) -

When they first talked about the time mechanic, I thought it would turn out to be a clusterfuck. Looks like I was right.

#142 Posted by finalfantasy94 (26154 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

@GamingGod999 said:

It's over!

Pleae dont use such a great song for your anger issues against ff13.

#143 Posted by Opus_Rea-333 (892 posts) -

Japan gaming going down?

#144 Edited by nini200 (9354 posts) -

@nini200 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:

@nini200 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:

@nini200 said:

Lightning is a TERRIBLE character, HORRIBLY monotone with NO Emotion. The crappy score is perfect for what she is, CRAP lol

@princessgomez92 Where you at? Lol Dodging this thread huh? Normally you'd be all in these threads but it seems you're awol on this one for some reason lol

Nope, not negative opinions, not even opinions. It's fact. Lightning is an emotionless uncreative character. Find a spot where Lightning actually had some emotion or character. I'll wait

doesint matter what I put your going to disagree regardless.Lighting is restrained when it comes to full on emotion though I saw she did care about her sister.

No, if you can show me a moment where Lightning actually had emotion, I'll actually sort of stop my dislike for the character as much. Thing is, you can't find such a moment.

As I said one of the moments was her happynies that in the end of 13 her sister was fine.

Link the moment when Lightning actually smiled or at the very least, smirked.

#145 Posted by finalfantasy94 (26154 posts) -

@nini200 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:

@nini200 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:

@nini200 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:

@nini200 said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOP2tYcgd6Y

21:30. I know your going to fight that was happyness and a smile but watev you said to find and i did.She does it again when she sees her sister safe and sound.

#146 Posted by nini200 (9354 posts) -

@nini200 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:

@nini200 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:

@nini200 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:

@nini200 said:

21:30. I know your going to fight that was happyness and a smile but watev you said to find and i did.She does it again when she sees her sister safe and sound.

OMG Wow you did it!!! You found one moment where she actually showed a tiny bit of emotion. There may be hope for her yet. Any other times? Or was that about it?

#147 Posted by GreySeal9 (23921 posts) -

@nini200 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:

@nini200 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:

@nini200 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:

@nini200 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:

@nini200 said:

OMG Wow you did it!!! You found one moment where she actually showed a tiny bit of emotion. There may be hope for her yet. Any other times? Or was that about it?

She showed quite a bit of emotion actually.

But yes, the character is incredibly stoic, which is a perfectly fair characterization. There are extremely stoic people IRL.

#148 Posted by finalfantasy94 (26154 posts) -

@nini200 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:

@nini200 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:

@nini200 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:

@nini200 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:

@nini200 said:

lol dude im not going to search all of 13 and 13-2 for you. The whole point is you wanted to see her smile and happy and I showed you.If you really are curious then be my guest and search for more. Lighting is not suppose to be happy go lucky 24/7.I like her cause shes strong and serious but not devoid of emotion.As I said once before shes proboly my second favorite female character in the series.

#150 Posted by g0ddyX (3867 posts) -

@g0ddyX said:

@mario-galaxys said:

@g0ddyX said:

85/100 Machima
80/100 Play
80/100 Eurogamer
70/100 IGN
70/100 Game
50/100 Gamesradar
50/100 Gamespot
45/100 EGM

Gametrailers gave it a 6.0/10.

Yeah, the reviews are still coming in.
Desctrucoid gave it a 75/100.
I liked what they said about it too.
"There's plenty of fun to be had in Lightning Returns if you're open to it, and are willing to overlook some of the messiness."

It's designed for the Final Fantasy 13 fans it seems, which is fair but its not some 'Square Enix Greatness'.

I guess Final Fantasy XV for PS4 and Xbox One will be that saving grace.