Is Thief Trilogy, still the best Stealth Games ever?

• 112 results
Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

I'll go with yes. Even if you pick any of first three Thief games today, the gameplay still feels great and better than most so called Stealth games of today. Thief: The Dark Project was so revolutionary back then. It was a complete package.

The Dark Project had amazing atmosphere, storyline, main character (Garrett), soundtrack, missions, graphics (for its time but still doesn't stop you from playing, even today), gameplay etc. The game featured realistic stealth mechanics. For example: staying out of light and hiding in shadows, different materials (carpets, floors, wet surfaces etc) create different kind of sounds (some louder than others), water arrows (give you ability to take out torches), bodies of enemies/NPCs never disappear and you can hide them in shadows etc. All of these features were new and unique back then.

What takes immersion to a whole new level in Thief: The Dark Project is that, the game never takes control away from you or forces you to leave first person view. The problem with new Thief (reboot) was that, it was trying to achieve everything in one game. That's not how stuff works for a game like this. Keep it simple and target the core audience instead of being "cinematic" or "action oriented" .

The story doesn't end there because Thief also had its two sequels. While Thief 2: The Metal Age doesn't reinvent the wheel or bring any big changes to the gameplay mechanics or User Interface but it improves gameplay mechanics of the first game. Second game in the trilogy contains much bigger maps than original, which enables you to infiltrate parts of the buildings as you want. It also improved visuals and brought new gadgets. However, what it lacks is the dark atmosphere and storyline of the first game. Some people prefer less dark atmosphere of second game, who thought that the original game was way too dark with a lot of supernatural stuff.

Thief 2: The Metal Age is considered as the greatest stealth game ever made by a lot of people. However, I preferred the first one due to its atmosphere and plot. Those who haven't played first three games of original series may found The Metal Age too similar to the first one, soon after finishing the first one few moments ago and jumping into the second one. In that case, it is good idea to play Thief 3: Deadly Shadows first and then return to The Metal Age.

Thief 3: Deadly Shadows was a lot different than first two games. It was made by different developers and unlike first two games, this one was also available on Xbox (while originals were PC only). This game brings back the dark atmosphere of first game and connects all three games and concludes the story of Garrett. When it comes to plot, the third game is a lot more similar to first game than the second.

The asylum level in Thief 3: Deadly Shadows is one of the creepiest levels ever created in video games. Just like previous games, everything that you listen from NPCs, read in books and notes comes together in the end, which is a great example of a well written story. However, gameplay mechanics were dumbed down a little bit for new comers. While it featured some new elements on one hand, on other hand it didn't feature some of the beloved gadgets from previous games. Overall, it was a great game, held back by small glitches, bugs and loading screens between sections of the same mission.

So, in my opinion, most of modern stealth games are too action oriented and can be played as action games as well and such games feature stealth elements as an after thought. I think, original Thief trilogy still feels unique in a lot of ways. Of course, due to hardware limitations, some of the elements of those games aren't impressive as some newer games (visuals, AI, animations etc) but at its core, it's a solid Stealth franchise.

The Dark Project is my favorite game in the trilogy, which was later improved even further with Gold Edition. All three Thief games are available on GOG and come with updates. that make the games support latest resolutions, PCs and Operating Systems. So, if you haven't played them, play them right now.

So, what do you think about original Thief trilogy? Do you think that those games are still best in their genre or newer games are better at Stealth?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Yes freaking yes. No stealth comes close to Thief 2.

Avatar image for FreedomFreeLife
FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By FreedomFreeLife
Member since 2013 • 3948 Posts

Hitman games are better. At least you can do something unlike just walk and finish game.

top_lel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 top_lel
Member since 2014 • 886 Posts

Hitman comes close..... or maybe stands equal....not sure.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

Ummm Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory are better =P

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Cloud_imperium

@FreedomFreeLife:

Hitman games are great. Hitman 2 and 4 are my favorite games in the series. However, when I played The dark project, it made me feel like Garrett. I felt like a Thief when I was playing that game which really took immersion to whole new level. No game ever managed to that before and after.

Only thing that comes close in that department is Half Life 2 but it is still pretty far away from making me feel like that. I'd say Hitman and Splinter cell trilogy come at number 2 but I totally respect your opinion because as I mentioned before, Hitman games are great. So, that's a great choice :-)

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

Nope. Tlou destroyed it and revoutioned the stealth genre and gaming in general. Blood money comes close but mg5 will destroy all and claim game of the century title

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Cloud_imperium

This guy above me. Lol.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

No.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

I like fast stealth

I would rather play something like Blacklist over games like Thief.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Cloud_imperium

@JangoWuzHere:

Blacklist is not a pure stealth game, which proves the point I made in my post. Original Splinter Cell trilogy is a lot better comparison with Thief trilogy in my opinion :-)

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Krelian-co

@Cloud_imperium said:

@JangoWuzHere:

Blacklist is not a pure stealth game, which proves the point I made in my post. Original Splinter Cell trilogy is a lot better comparison with Thief trilogy in my opinion :-)

ok you are just arbitrarily using the term "pure stealth", yes the other games like mgs and blacklist are not focused solely on stealth, but they are stealth games nonetheless.

FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FreedomFreeLife

@Cloud_imperium said:

@FreedomFreeLife:

Hitman games are great. Hitman 2 and 4 are my favorite games in the series. However, when I played The dark project, it made me feel like Garrett. I felt like a Thief when I was playing that game which really took immersion to whole new level. No game ever managed to that before and after.

Only thing that comes close in that department is Half Life 2 but it is still pretty far away from making me feel like that. I'd say Hitman and Splinter cell trilogy come at number 2 but I totally respect your opinion because as I mentioned before, Hitman games are great. So, that's a great choice :-)

The problem with thief is that you can only stealth but nothing else. In Hitman it´s all about stratregy. You can steal clothes and weapons. This feels more realistic and real. This is why i prefer Hitman to thief

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JangoWuzHere

@Cloud_imperium said:

@JangoWuzHere:

Wtf is a pure stealth game?

Besides a couple story set pieces, the entirety of Blacklist can be played in Stealth.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Cloud_imperium

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

@FreedomFreeLife:

The problem with thief is that you can only stealth but nothing else. In Hitman it´s all about stratregy. You can steal clothes and weapons. This feels more realistic and real. This is why i prefer Hitman to thief

Good point but you can steal gadgets and ammo in Thief too (not clothes though). And I liked the idea of sneaking in Thief, where you can complete the mission without hurting or killing anyone. However, you could still defend yourself in difficult situations but you knew that you are under powered and those heavily armed men together can kick your as*.

That somehow worked well as a "stealth" game for me and really increased the immersion. But I understand why you prefer Hitman over Thief. Both have their own strengths and weaknesses. Hopefully, next Hitman will be more like Blood Money and less like Absolution. Same goes for next Thief, which should be like originals and not like the reboot.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Cloud_imperium
@JangoWuzHere said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

@JangoWuzHere:

Besides a couple story set pieces, the entirety of Blacklist can be played in Stealth.

Then almost every game is stealth game because it CAN be played as a stealth game. In a lot of missions, Blacklist forces you to kill enemies (defend Kobin from waves of enemies). Maps are shorter, and in one of early missions there is only one main way to enter the building, if you go left or right then Sam turns back and game doesn't allow you to go anywhere or infiltrate the place as YOU want. Not to mention FPS level.

FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FreedomFreeLife

Cloud_imperium

Damned is biggest stealth game ever. You need to know how or when to hide. If you fail, you dead and it´s game over. Unlike Theif scripted AI, Damned is every game different and you have to learn to hear and see. Flashlight limited. Theif can be beated very fast and easily but Damned you can´t. 95% games you lose and lose and lose again. Even your god damn flashlight can make you lose game.

You’ll be able to play as one of the four people that got trapped inside this haunted hotel. As a survivor your main objective will be finding your way out, as well as helping your fellows get out too. You’ll often find yourself on the edge, hearing and seeing ghostly things, trying to find keys and items to help in your escape. And sometimes you’ll find yourself running desperately from a monster, who’s there only to hunt down and kill you and your friends. You’ll also be able to play as the monster. You’ll assume an ethereal form, which you’ll use to haunt the survivors, triggering eerie noises and events. You’ll also assume a physical form, which will allow you to hunt and kill the survivors trapped in the hotel. It’ll be your killing spree.

Theif scripted game, Damned is real life game. So you can lock this thread now. If you saying im wrong, then you clearly lying.

You cannot ignore unscripted game where there is about 95% you never win game against monster. It´s like you trying to hide away from ghost in big castle but once ghost finds you = you dead :)

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Cloud_imperium

@FreedomFreeLife:

Sounds good.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JangoWuzHere

@Cloud_imperium said:
@JangoWuzHere said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

@JangoWuzHere:

Then almost every game is stealth game because it CAN be played as a stealth game. In a lot of missions, Blacklist forces you to kill enemies (defend Kobin from waves of enemies). Maps are shorter, and in one of early missions there is only one main way to enter the building, if you go left or right then Sam turns back and game doesn't allow you to go anywhere or infiltrate the place as YOU want. Not to mention FPS level.

I don't remember the game forcing you to kill anyone as Sam. However, even if I was forced to kill, I'm not sure how that would make it a worse stealth game.

The set pieces on the train and the chase on the highway are the only parts of that game which aren't stealth related as far as I remember. Those parts of the game last only a minute.

Splinter Cell has always been pretty linear with it's level design. I'm not sure how being linear makes it a worse stealth game.

That FPS level can be played entirely in stealth.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Cloud_imperium

@JangoWuzHere said:

@Cloud_imperium said:
@JangoWuzHere said:

I don't remember the game forcing you to kill anyone as Sam. However, even if I was forced to kill, I'm not sure how that would make it a worse stealth game.

The set pieces on the train and the chase on the highway are the only parts that game which aren't stealth related as far as I remember. Those parts of the game last only a minute.

Splinter Cell has always been pretty linear with it's level design. I'm not sure how being linear makes it a worse stealth game.

Loading Video...

Meanwhile, Thief is stealth based ,,, from beginning to end.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JangoWuzHere

@Cloud_imperium said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

@Cloud_imperium said:
@JangoWuzHere said:

The set pieces on the train and the chase on the highway are the only parts that game which aren't stealth related as far as I remember. Those parts of the game last only a minute.

(video)

Meanwhile, Thief is stealth based ,,, from beginning to end.

What are you trying to prove? You can stealth that entire sequence.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#22 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Thief 1 and especially 2 ill agree. The rest of the Thief games werent that good.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#23 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Nope.... Mark Of The Ninja....

But I'd rather play, Monaco and Splinter Cell Blacklist for obvious reasons.

And how can claim thief is realistic and then immediately follow that up with "Water Arrows" ?

Not that it matters, realism does not translate in to good design....

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

LOL at people calling MGS a stealth game.

I believe Thief to be a true stealth game but I have always enjoyed Hitman more.

Avatar image for deactivated-597794cd74015
deactivated-597794cd74015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#25 deactivated-597794cd74015
Member since 2012 • 961 Posts

@Gamerno6666 said:

Yes freaking yes. No stealth comes close to Thief 2.

Took the words out of my mouth.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-597794cd74015

@Krelian-co said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

@JangoWuzHere:

ok you are just arbitrarily using the term "pure stealth", yes the other games like mgs and blacklist are not focused solely on stealth, but they are stealth games nonetheless.

The sub-title underneath MGS games says "Tactical Espionage Action". All MGS games force you into direct confrontation during boss fights( The End being an exception). MGS is a fantastic series. But not a stealth series as most fanboys would think.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#28 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Thief 1 and 2 are beast, but I would argue Snake Eater/Sons of Liberty and Chaos Theory are in the same league.

Recently Mark of the Ninja was also beast.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#29 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:

@JangoWuzHere:

Blacklist actually let's you have fun though. Trials and Error is not fun, which is why stealth is a bad genre.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#30  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58965 Posts

The young people will say no; listing sold snake or last or us movie game with barely gameplay have; older, wiser people will say yes.

Modern game wise: Blacklist.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

Hitman is better,

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Cloud_imperium

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

@JangoWuzHere:

Blacklist actually let's you have fun though. Trials and Error is not fun, which is why stealth is a bad genre.

There is no such thing as "bad genre". Some games aren't meant for everyone.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Lulu_Lulu

@Cloud_imperium:

I think there is such a thing as a bad genre.... but thats based on things like ethics.

And even though stealth isnt one of those bad genres, trial and error is something thats bad for any type of game.

That plus Co-Op is awesome.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

Completely agree. The thief trillogy are probably the best stealth games of all times. Nobody could remotely match its awesome fantasy atmosphere and immersion.

UPDATE:

I wouldn't classify Hitman as a stealth game. It's more about disguises than actual stealth.

Mark of the Ninja ? Come on ! It's a good indie stealth platformer, but this is it. You never feel like threatened in it.

MGS is about half stealth half action and REALLY LONG cinematics.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Cloud_imperium

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Cloud_imperium:

I think there is such a thing as a bad genre.... but thats based on things like ethics.

And even though stealth isnt one of those bad genres, trial and error is something thats bad for any type of game.

1. Seems like, just like STALKER, you haven't played the game and still pretending like you played it.
  2. There is no trial and error in Thief. Except one or two missions, where story demands you to remain undetected, which adds variety in missions. Like, listening to people having a conversation in a secret meeting. That said, trial and error isn't a bad design choice in every situation. For reference read point 2 again.
  3. There aren't any bad genres. Don't like it, don't play it. There are always fans of specific genre.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By deactivated-597794cd74015

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Cloud_imperium:

If you need to much trial and error in Thief, it just means you suck.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Lulu_Lulu

@Cloud_imperium:

Where did I pretend to have played STALKER ?

And Trial and Error is only good when you're experimenting just for experimentations sake.... its not particularly good design if you're working towards an objective. We have the intellect and methods to predict out comes without having to actually try them... why not use them ?

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

@Heil68 said:

Hitman is better,

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Krelian-co

If a game has a stealth component it can be classified as stealth game, yes some games like hitman and mgs don't focus solely on stealth but that doesn't mean they don't count as stealth games, the fact that you need to use the term "pure stealth" as an arbitrary criteria to dismiss other games only shows you are trying too hard to make people agree with you.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 jhonMalcovich

@Krelian-co said:

If a game has a stealth component it can be classified as stealth game, yes some games like hitman and mgs don't focus solely on stealth but that doesn't mean they don't count as stealth games, the fact that you need to use the term "pure stealth" as an arbitrary criteria to dismiss other games only shows you are trying too hard to make people agree with you.

Have you ever heard this proverb: "Jack of all trades, master of none"

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Cloud_imperium
@Krelian-co said:

I used that word to clarify what I wanted to say. As Faizan mentioned before that MGS forces you to engage in combat with bosses. It's a fantastic series but is it better as far as stealth mechanics are concerned? Can we complete the entire game without hurting anyone? Since you were not getting it, that's why I said "Pure Stealth". Even though that was already pretty obvious since I didn't say "Stealth Action" in my thread title and instead used the word "Stealth".

And no, I'm not trying hard to achieve anything here. I am having discussion with people, the main reason why this thread was created and many agree with me. Those who don't, I've told them that I respect their opinion and then told them what's my opinion. Where is the fun in having a thread but not have a discussion in it?

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 jhonMalcovich

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Cloud_imperium:

Where did I pretend to have played STALKER ?

And Trial and Error is only good when you're experimenting just for experimentations sake.... its not particularly good design if you're working towards an objective. We have the intellect and methods to predict out comes without having to actually try them... why not use them ?

Thief doesn't have Trial and Error mechanic. So your argument is pointless. You just didn't play the games.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Lulu_Lulu

@jhonMalcovich:

Where did I say anything about Thief ? :0

Is everbody here blind ? Atleast wait for me to attack your precious thief before you go all momma bear on anybody with a different oppinion.

Now Im beginning to wonder if thief really does have trial and error. Just like I wondered if President Evil was really scary. (HINT: It wasnt....)

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu: Aren't you strictly a console gamer ?

And yes, Thief 1 and 2 are the best stealth games ever.

The best SC game was Chaos Theory and the best Hitman was Blood Money

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Krelian-co

@jhonMalcovich said:

@Krelian-co said:

Have you ever heard this proverb: "Jack of all trades, master of none"

i do understand your point, but the stealth of mgs is actually pretty good, the game just gives you more options, i have played all mgs stealthy and so i can't accept the fact of being dismissed just because you can finish it shooting everything, also maybe thief does better stealth but mgs is a better game.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#46  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Yes, by far. Picked up the Thief pack during the sale for like $12. Felt like grabbing them all despite what people say about the latest one.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 JangoWuzHere

@Cloud_imperium said:
@Krelian-co said:

I used that word to clarify what I wanted to say. As Faizan mentioned before that MGS forces you to engage in combat with bosses. It's a fantastic series but is it better as far as stealth mechanics are concerned? Can we complete the entire game without hurting anyone? Since you were not getting it, that's why I said "Pure Stealth". Even though that was already pretty obvious since I didn't say "Stealth Action" in my thread title and instead used the word "Stealth".

And no, I'm not trying hard to achieve anything here. I am having discussion with people, the main reason why this thread was created and many agree with me. Those who don't, I've told them that I respect their opinion and then told them what's my opinion. Where is the fun in having a thread but not have a discussion in it?

I still don't get how hurting someone makes others games worse in terms of stealth. It would be less realistic for characters like Snake, Sam Fisher, and 47 to not hurt others when their occupations are military/assassin based.

I would think enemy ai, tactical options, game flow, and the punishment for being spotted are all much more important.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

MGS2, MGS3 and Chaos Theory are all right up there.

Sure you don't have to stealth your way through all these games, but when you do, they really shine. I don't think we should overlook their quality as stealth games simply because you have the option for action, or killing.

I know a lot of people find MGS2 to be a flimsy stealth game, but try ghost running that shit. Really. It basically turns into a brilliantly made stealth puzzle game at that point. The level design, mechanics and AI blend into an excellent stealth game. You can tell that that's how the developers intended it to be played, but I suppose they had to leave it open for other play styles to avoid alienating the masses. Which hey, no gripes here, it's why the games are so damn replayable.

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

Personally I'd give the nod of best stealth game to Chaos Theory, but it's a close call between it and Thief 2. Mark of the Ninja is also up there. I love the Hitman franchise, but I consider it a different style of stealth that you can't directly compare to many other stealth games.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

As pure stealth Thief 1-2 has everyone beat. The attention to detail in those games is awesome, sound plays such a crucial role.

God that reboot was so bad, it's just depressing.